Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2015: The Inquest. A special podcast in collaboration wit

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2015: The Inquest. A special podcast in collaboration with Polling Matters

One of the great developments of the campaign has been the appearance of many new online resources for analysis and discussion. One of these had been the excellent Polling Matters created by Keiran Pedley of pollster GFK.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    First ever first?
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    Curse of the new thread!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,314
    blimey, I've been away from computer for all of two hours and I see Murphy has resigned.
  • Options

blimey, I've been away from computer for all of two hours and I see Murphy has resigned.

Two hours!!!? How do you cope? :-)
  • Options

I had four kids come to visit (with parents) - there was no time for PBing.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

A party leader resigning. That's not news anymore. Is there going to be an UNresign?

• Options
    Definitely getting ridiculous. I can't keep up with all my positions on next leaders as it is.

A party leader resigning. That's not news anymore. Is there going to be an UNresign?

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Mr. Baskerville, congrats :p

It'll be a few minutes before I can listen to the podcast, but it sounds like a good idea.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2015
    O/T:

The BBC making a fool of itself on Radio 4 by asking why more women don't enter the Chelsea Flower Show garden competition. But why don't they ask why there aren't more people entering — men or women — from Stoke-on-Trent, or Wrexham, or Dundee?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T:The BBC making a fool of itself on Radio 4 by asking why more women don't enter the Chelsea Flower Show garden competition. But why don't they ask why there aren't more people entering — men or women — from Stoke-on-Trent, or Wrexham, or Dundee?

They cannot afford the pink bus to take them there?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894

Well looks like Murphy has left just enough wriggle room that he might be able to "unresign" next month...

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    Typo - Lourd -> Lord. Not sure why he thinks that the polls have been rigged.
  • Options
    I remember Foulkes from a Question Time appearance. Very unfair of him to attack millionaires for manipulating things. I'm sure Ed Miliband did no such thing.
  • Options
    Is the MoE on a 4000 poll that much smaller than 1000? Damian Lyons Lowe was suggesting that a 4000 sample has MoE of <1.5%.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    Belatedly re the LibDems...

Their future is by no means entirely in their own hands. If Labour choose an uninspiring left winger and deficit denier (naming no names...), then that gives the LibDems an opportunity to position themselves as centre-left, fiscally responsible, and not controlled by the unions.

And if the Conservative Party decides to implement the snoopers charter and legalise fox hunting, then the allows the LibDems to appeal again (especially if they drop their mansion tax proposals) to the middle classes in South West London.

Alternatively, if the Labour Party and the Conservatives both tack to the centre, it will be very hard for the LibDems to recover.

The next few rounds of council elections will be very interesting. The LibDems will be coming from a relatively low base, and with more members than they've had for a while, so they really should be making gains. If they cannot, it bodes ill for the party.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Most interesting aspect around Murphy's notice of his intended "resignation" is the main folks bleating about it are the likes of TND and the right wing MSM hacks:

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/599612546170097665

I think this speaks volumes as to why he was the completely wrong man for the job, the fact that his right wing MSM supporters did not indicate he should resign after what must be some sort of world record loss was also very telling.

Will Jim actually go in a month? - 50/50.
  • Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    Why don’t the Libdems make a start by going back to calling themselves the ‘Liberals’? In retrospect the link-up with the break-away section of Labour has been disastrous, muddling its traditional beliefs and making it seem a pale imitation of the Labour Party. Why not reconnect with the party of Mill and Gladstone and Asquith and Lloyd George and Keynes and Beveridge?
  • Options
    Fernando said:

Why don’t the Libdems make a start by going back to calling themselves the ‘Liberals’? In retrospect the link-up with the break-away section of Labour has been disastrous, muddling its traditional beliefs and making it seem a pale imitation of the Labour Party. Why not reconnect with the party of Mill and Gladstone and Asquith and Lloyd George and Keynes and Beveridge?

There already (still) is a Liberal Party. The original one. Last I heard they were thinking of merging with the Whigs. Seriously.
  • Options
    Fernando said:

There is already a registered Liberal party.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Election data:

West Midlands region:

2015:
    Con: 1,098,110 (41.77%)
    Lab: 865,075 (32.91%)
    UKIP: 412,770 (15.70%)
    LD: 145,009 (5.52%)
    Greens: 85,653 (3.26%)
    Others: 22,322 (0.85%)
    TOTAL: 2,628,939

2010:
    Con: 1,044,081 (39.54%)
    Lab: 808,114 (30.60%)
    LD: 540,160 (20.46%)
    UKIP: 105,685 (4.00%)
    Greens: 14,996 (0.57%)
    TOTAL: 2,640,465

Changes:
    Con: +2.23%
    Lab: +2.30%
    UKIP: +11.70%
    LD: -14.94%
    Greens: +2.69%
    Others: -3.98%

Swing, Con to Lab: 0.04%
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    RobD said:

Is the MoE on a 4000 poll that much smaller than 1000? Damian Lyons Lowe was suggesting that a 4000 sample has MoE of <1.5%.</p>

Yes, it can't not be.

But I'm pretty convinced you could have asked every single person in Britain who they were going to vote for and the only truly honest answers you'd have got would be from the Scots.

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    FPT
    David_Evershed said:
    In fact, by continuing and extending Lib Dem policies, David Cameron seems to be trying to turn the Conservatives into the Lib Dems - so no need for the Lib Dems to do anything other than join the existing Conservative party.

P Clipp responds:
    The problem that Mr Cameron has is that not all the Tory loons, nuts and fuitcakes (or whatever his phrase was) have decamped to UKIP. Until they have all been cleared out of the Conservative Party, it is no fit place for a Lib Dem even to think about, let alone to be seen in.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Fernando said:

There is already a registered Liberal party.
    There's a long way between Gladstone and Keynes/Beveridge. Social Liberals vs Liberals.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    PClipp said:

FPT
    David_Evershed said:
    In fact, by continuing and extending Lib Dem policies, David Cameron seems to be trying to turn the Conservatives into the Lib Dems - so no need for the Lib Dems to do anything other than join the existing Conservative party.

P Clipp responds:
    The problem that Mr Cameron has is that not all the Tory loons, nuts and fuitcakes (or whatever his phrase was) have decamped to UKIP. Until they have all been cleared out of the Conservative Party, it is no fit place for a Lib Dem even to think about, let alone to be seen in.

So you accept the possibility that were he to achieve that, it would be a fit place for them?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Fernando said:

Never been disconnencted, my dear Fernando.
  • Options
    43:00 -> 51:00 Matt Singh - The analyst who called it correctly.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    I don't understand why Jim Murphy is considered such a huge loss by the likes TND. He is a complete personality vacuum.

On the LDs, I actually think there's quite a likely chance that both the Tories' and Labour will tack away from the centre, to both right and left respectively.

After having some hope that Labour might elect a credible leader, looking at how Burnham's campaign is going, and the support he has from MPs, I'm beginning to wonder whether Labour really wants to get back into power at all. On Newsnight this week, a Labour MP was the epitome of delusion in relation to the UKIP threat, seeing as engaging with UKIP voters as Labour giving up their values and principles. You can still be a party of fairness and equality, but still try to understand why so many feel disenfranchised by Labour, and its ability to represent the interests of the working class.

What Labour party members, and activists must learn is that what they like isn't necessarily what those in the Midlands, the South West, Southern Marginals, the North East, and Scotland will like. Labour also have some ground to make up in Wales too. I cannot, for the life of me see Andy Burnham being an inspiring leader. He seems to be relatively inoffensive, bland and dull. A nice guy, maybe but he hardly seems to provide any exciting, or insightful ideas as to how to move Labour forward. I do not understand how Labour MPs think this man will win them marginals that already require a signifcant swing to return to Labour in 2020. There is simply no way Andy Burnham will be PM.

I am torn on Yvette Cooper. She is a more preferable alternative to Burnham, but yet she also seems to be a personality vacuum whose political convictions are not too obvious. She lacks presence, comes across unconvincing when she tries to emote, and seems to also lack authority and an air of confidence. Given her political experience, this is a tad worrying. She does not have the Liz Kendall excuse of inexperience. Yet, courtesy of her husband she will have a significant core of the party supporting her.

Liz Kendall will be a beneficiary of Umunna's withdrawal, but I am worried Labour are not yet ready to change and deal with truths on economic mismanagement. You already have people pigeonholing her as 'Blairite', a word which is almost like a expletive in the Labour party. The only real hope, is, that a long leadership contest means Kendall has time to grow, and to challenge Burnham. A long leadership contest, gives Labour time to get into a mindset of reality, and make sensible decisions.

If Labour, however do elect Burnham then it's pretty much done until 2025.

The Tories look to be governing from the centre-right, rather than the centre when looking at proposals on the HRA, fox-hunting, the snoopers' charter, and a number of newcomers to government, such as Priti Patel, Justin Tomlinson, and Caroline Dinnage.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    In Gibraltar, where there will be a general election this year, there were three political parties, but now one has disbanded and another says that the ruling party is doing such a good job that there is no point in them standing against them. I think this could be a good model for Lib Dems and Labour in the UK.
    (en passant, Gib has full employment, no VAT, low income tax, free University education in the country of your choice, free healthcare, and little crime; George Osborne please note)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    edited May 2015
    I'm an Opinion Polling addict, and, and I've been fighting to get off Polling Data -
    shut up, TSE! - and, um, since last August. I've been in rehab twice, and I don't
    wanna be like people like Angus Reid, that were... and stuff like that.
    I wanna be a survivor.

I mean I died again on Election Night. So, I'm not... I'm not... my cats' lives
    are out. I... I just wanna say sorry to all the fans and stuff, and uh,
    I'm glad to be alive, and sorry to me mum as well.

I just want them to know that it's not cool. It's not a cool thing to be
    an addict. It's not... you know, you're a slave to it, and it took... it's
    taken everything away from me that I loved, and so I've got to rebuild my life.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    edited May 2015

I'm an Opinion Polling addict, and, and I've been fighting to get off Polling Data -
    shut up, TSE! - and, um, since last August. I've been in rehab twice, and I don't
    I wanna be a survivor.

[SOB]

:cry:

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    franklyn said:

In Gibraltar, where there will be a general election this year, there were three political parties, but now one has disbanded and another says that the ruling party is doing such a good job that there is no point in them standing against them. I think this could be a good model for Lib Dems and Labour in the UK.
    (en passant, Gib has full employment, no VAT, low income tax, free University education in the country of your choice, free healthcare, and little crime; George Osborne please note)

That's not true, although I say that as a GSD voter strongly opposed to the ruling GSLP.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,016

I wanna be a survivor.

The cruellest irony of all is that it is exactly at this time that British opinion polling, that fine, noble tradition, is needed more than ever before.
  • Options
    Two points. One, there is a way to go on this election and we aint seen sight of the fat lady never mind her warming up. Who knows who will come out as a candidate next week. Secondly, Cooper has long track record in the party (she was regularly top of shadow cabinet poll for years) and so doesn't need Ed Balls to prop her up.

I'd like to see Hunt run. I'd like to hear his pitch.

I don't understand why Jim Murphy is considered such a huge loss by the likes TND. He is a complete personality vacuum.

On the LDs, I actually think there's quite a likely chance that both the Tories' and Labour will tack away from the centre, to both right and left respectively.

After having some hope that Labour might elect a credible leader, looking at how Burnham's campaign is going, and the support he has from MPs, I'm beginning to wonder whether Labour really wants to get back into power at all. On Newsnight this week, a Labour MP was the epitome of delusion in relation to the UKIP threat, seeing as engaging with UKIP voters as Labour giving up their values and principles. You can still be a party of fairness and equality, but still try to understand why so many feel disenfranchised by Labour, and its ability to represent the interests of the working class.

snip

I am torn on Yvette Cooper. She is a more preferable alternative to Burnham, but yet she also seems to be a personality vacuum whose political convictions are not too obvious. She lacks presence, comes across unconvincing when she tries to emote, and seems to also lack authority and an air of confidence. Given her political experience, this is a tad worrying. She does not have the Liz Kendall excuse of inexperience. Yet, courtesy of her husband she will have a significant core of the party supporting her.

Liz Kendall will be a beneficiary of Umunna's withdrawal, but I am worried Labour are not yet ready to change and deal with truths on economic mismanagement. You already have people pigeonholing her as 'Blairite', a word which is almost like a expletive in the Labour party. The only real hope, is, that a long leadership contest means Kendall has time to grow, and to challenge Burnham. A long leadership contest, gives Labour time to get into a mindset of reality, and make sensible decisions.

If Labour, however do elect Burnham then it's pretty much done until 2025.

The Tories look to be governing from the centre-right, rather than the centre when looking at proposals on the HRA, fox-hunting, the snoopers' charter, and a number of newcomers to government, such as Priti Patel, Justin Tomlinson, and Caroline Dinnage.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Election data:

West Midlands region:

2015:
    Con: 1,098,110 (41.77%)
    Lab: 865,075 (32.91%)
    UKIP: 412,770 (15.70%)
    LD: 145,009 (5.52%)
    Greens: 85,653 (3.26%)
    Others: 22,322 (0.85%)
    TOTAL: 2,628,939

2010:
    Con: 1,044,081 (39.54%)
    Lab: 808,114 (30.60%)
    LD: 540,160 (20.46%)
    UKIP: 105,685 (4.00%)
    Greens: 14,996 (0.57%)
    TOTAL: 2,640,465

Changes:
    Con: +2.23%
    Lab: +2.30%
    UKIP: +11.70%
    LD: -14.94%
    Greens: +2.69%
    Others: -3.98%

Swing, Con to Lab: 0.04%

Thanks again, Andy!

Those in the West Midlands voting for:

Right-wing parties 57.5%
    Left-wing parties 36.2%
    Centrists/others 6.3%

Above the English overall score for right-wing-ness (55.1%). UK overall score 50.6%.
  • Options
    Sixty-six and a half minutes in, smiled to hear the Guardian won't be giving the polls such prominence in their coverage.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Speaking as a Lib Dem, I don't think the position that the party finds itself in is as bad as 1970. There are enough seats where the Lib Dems are in a reasonably close second place to either the Tories or the SNP for the party to end up with a tally in the mid-twenties in the next parliament. The membership is already almost back up to the pre-Cleggmania position and we've got strong organisations where we need them.

Part of the reason why we ended up with only eight seats is that a chunk of moderate voters in England were unwilling to risk us letting in Miliband and the SNP and a chunk of otherwise supportive Scottish voters were unwilling to risk us letting the Tories back in. As a result we got run over from both sides.

...snip...

But none of that will change for 2020. Unless there is an unexpected implosion of SNP support, you face the exact same challenge. The SNP's majorities are MASSIVE in most seats (including a lot of the former Liberal seats. If a concerted attack for Unionist tactical votes failed this time, there is no reason to believe it can work again, worse you will lose votes to the Tories in seats where they are the better option to take on the SNP (and more determinedly Unionist).

The LIberals trail the SNP by too many votes.

2010 Liberal seats and 215 SNP majority.

Orkney and Zetland - won by 728

Dunb East - 2617
    Edin West - 3210
    Caithness - 3844 (smaller than average constituency)
    Fife NE - 4344
    Ross - 5124 (smaller than average constituency)
    Argyll - 8473
    Gordon - 8687
    Berwickshire - 9851 (third to Tory second)
    Inverness - 10809
    Kincadine - 11137

The only feasible targets are Dunbarton East, Edinburgh West. That's it. And in Dunbarton East that was a 82% turnout, there's nothing to squeeze and no high profile incumbency. Sorry but the LibDems are as finished as Scottish Labour. Without the money Scottish Labour will have.

Holyrood could be the final death of Liberal Scotland. The likelyhood is two seats - a NE List and Orkney. Even that isn't guaranteed.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

Sixty-six and a half minutes in, smiled to hear the Guardian won't be giving the polls such prominence in their coverage.

Whatever made them come to that decision...cough cough....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCLdeFUW0AIHgZ9.jpg:large
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Well looks like Murphy has left just enough wriggle room that he might be able to "unresign" next month...

He does seem to be setting this up for "you didnt accept my proposals of which my resignation was one of them, so I'm staying."
  • Options

Two points. One, there is a way to go on this election and we aint seen sight of the fat lady never mind her warming up. Who knows who will come out as a candidate next week. Secondly, Cooper has long track record in the party (she was regularly top of shadow cabinet poll for years) and so doesn't need Ed Balls to prop her up.

Yes, it'd be interesting to see what Hunt as to say, although whether he can find 35 MPs to back him is another thing. Apparently he was pretty poor on QT.

• Options
    On opinion polls. My mistake was give them more weight than my own gut instinct about Ed M and a late swing to the Tories. Costly. Very very costly. Wont happen again.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    edited May 2015

I wanna be a survivor.

I suggest you take a passion for Bollywood and cricket like your compatriots. There is still time to grow into a well rounded Indian.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

The BBC making a fool of itself on Radio 4 by asking why more women don't enter the Chelsea Flower Show garden competition. But why don't they ask why there aren't more people entering — men or women — from Stoke-on-Trent, or Wrexham, or Dundee?

Isn't it the RHS asking the question?

• Options

Yes, it'd be interesting to see what Hunt as to say, although whether he can find 35 MPs to back him is another thing. Apparently he was pretty poor on QT.

I'm guessing the lack of anything like 35 is the reason he's holding back. Or perhaps he is busy writing some blinding new policy/direction for his announcement. Who knows.

As they used to say on 'Stingray', anything can happen in the next half hour.
  • Options
    Right, I'm off to the pub for another night of post-election post-mortem. What larks.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited May 2015
    Late swing.. If there was I doubt it was much, if anything the "squarerootomer" called it right at least a month if not more before the election. Every fibre in my body was telling me the polls were wrong and they were. Look at the pollsters for Labour, they knew but Ed kept quiet. The Tories knew but they weren't going to say anything...

I think the pollsters were measuring the wrong thing, I am not an expert, but would it be stretching it to say that it was rather odd that all the pollsters results seemed to coalesce?
  • Options
    Looks like we're entering a month long period of mourning by the right wing MSM for Jim Murphy, here's Ian Martin's eulogy:

http://www.capx.co/scottish-labour-has-suffered-an-extinction-event/

Now that Jim Murphy is finally leaving the building (or is he?), the right wing MSM seem to be building up Ruth Davidson as their next best hope at stemming the SNP tide. What these guys seem to have failed to notice is that the Scottish Tories faced their extinction level event 20 years ago and are showing no signs of recovery, if anything their older voter demographic is gradually dying out.

I think given the way Glasgow is likely to vote Ruth Davidson will be lucky to hold her own seat, let alone lead a major recovery in the Scottish Tories fortunes. She won her list seat in 2011 with around 6% (12,000) of the Glasgow vote, I don't think this would win her a seat this time around.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    After the defeat Scottish Labour had suffered, Jim Murphy's position was quite untenable. It shouldn't have taken him a week to realise that.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, you might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment.
  • Options
    calum said:

What these guys seem to have failed to notice is that the Scottish Tories faced their extinction level event 20 years ago and are showing no signs of recovery, if anything their older voter demographic is gradually dying out.

Hasn't the Scottish Tory vote risen in numbers at each election since 2001? Hardly dying out.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

I wanna be a survivor.

I suggest you take a passion for Bollywood and cricket like your compatriots. There is still time to grow into a well rounded Indian.
    Time for a little good old fashioned hobby. Dare I suggest an interest in railways...
  • Options
    GE2115 inquest?
    Look at this in the Telegraph re Tory campaign HQ where,
    ''work began before dawn, and the office was manned until late at night. Mr Crosby chaired his first meeting every day during the campaign at 5.45am, with a handful of senior strategists.
    Another meeting would follow at 6.30am to draw up firmer plans for the day, before the third meeting at 7.30 each morning, at which Mr Cameron and Mr Osborne would be present, often via conference calls from far flung parts of the country where they would be campaigning.
    The PM and Chancellor would listen to the plans, make observations of their own and then approve the strategy as recommended by Mr Crosby, who chaired every meeting, even when Mr Cameron was present.
    A few hundred yards away, at Labour headquarters in Brewer’s Green, Mr Miliband’s team had not yet turned up for work.''
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311

Every single one of those is a fringe issue only of interest to political anoraks.

99% of people wouldn't even have the faintest idea of what the snooper's charter is - let alone how on earth it could affect them in any practical way.

Ditto the HRA - it may affect whether someone on the TV gets deported. It won't affect 99.999% of the population.

Anoraks will get excited. 99% of people won't even be aware of the issues and they will have zero impact at the next GE.

You don't have to rely on me - where did these issues come on the MORI Issues Index? Did any of them register even 1%?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

GE2115 inquest?
    ''work began before dawn, and the office was manned until late at night. Mr Crosby chaired his first meeting every day during the campaign at 5.45am, with a handful of senior strategists.
    Another meeting would follow at 6.30am to draw up firmer plans for the day, before the third meeting at 7.30 each morning, at which Mr Cameron and Mr Osborne would be present, often via conference calls from far flung parts of the country where they would be campaigning.
    The PM and Chancellor would listen to the plans, make observations of their own and then approve the strategy as recommended by Mr Crosby, who chaired every meeting, even when Mr Cameron was present.
    A few hundred yards away, at Labour headquarters in Brewer’s Green, Mr Miliband’s team had not yet turned up for work.''

C4 News had a report on Crosby I want to say 9 months before the election, and guess what they were still working dawn until dusk then.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    EPG said:

I wanna be a survivor.

The cruellest irony of all is that it is exactly at this time that British opinion polling, that fine, noble tradition, is needed more than ever before.
    Who needs British opinion polling when you have the pb.com Tories? Finger on the nation's pulse since....forever.
  • Options

tyson said:

I wanna be a survivor.

Time for a little good old fashioned hobby. Dare I suggest an interest in railways...
    Well, I did do the Nuneaton to Leicester line for the first time a few weeks back :)
  • Options

GE2115 inquest?

C4 News had a report on Crosby I want to say 9 months before the election, and guess what they were still working dawn until dusk then.
    The most interesting thing will be to find out what Labour's (IOS's) much vaunted ground game was. They seemed utterly oblivious of the catastrophe that was about to overtake them. How bad was it and what
  • Options
    calum said:

Looks like we're entering a month long period of mourning by the right wing MSM for Jim Murphy, here's Ian Martin's eulogy:

Now that Jim Murphy is finally leaving the building (or is he?), the right wing MSM seem to be building up Ruth Davidson as their next best hope at stemming the SNP tide. What these guys seem to have failed to notice is that the Scottish Tories faced their extinction level event 20 years ago and are showing no signs of recovery, if anything their older voter demographic is gradually dying out.

I think given the way Glasgow is likely to vote Ruth Davidson will be lucky to hold her own seat, let alone lead a major recovery in the Scottish Tories fortunes. She won her list seat in 2011 with around 6% (12,000) of the Glasgow vote, I don't think this would win her a seat this time around.

I suspect that SCUP were really, really hoping that John Lamont would win the Westminster seat giving Davidson a safe constituency (in a safe Region) for the Tories. I'm not convinced they will need to move her, with the Liberal death throes, the Tories should just about manage enough List votes to keep her as a Glasgow List MSP.
  • Options

GE2115 inquest?

The most interesting thing will be to find out what Labour's (IOS's) much vaunted ground game was. They seemed utterly oblivious of the catastrophe that was about to overtake them. How bad was it and what
    was ED actually keeping secret. How bad were his private polls. I'd be bloody angry If I was a footsoldier.
  • Options
    GE 2015 Inquest 2
    (bearing in mind many commen ts on here)
    ''The story ran, to the Tories’ amusement, that Labour had thousands more activists, better trained and motivated, saturating target seats with Labour leaflets and election messages. “But there was never any evidence of them,” one senior Conservative said. “Labour must have been moving imaginary soldiers around or something.” ''
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Every single one of those is a fringe issue only of interest to political anoraks.

99% of people wouldn't even have the faintest idea of what the snooper's charter is - let alone how on earth it could affect them in any practical way.

Ditto the HRA - it may affect whether someone on the TV gets deported. It won't affect 99.999% of the population.

Anoraks will get excited. 99% of people won't even be aware of the issues and they will have zero impact at the next GE.

You don't have to rely on me - where did these issues come on the MORI Issues Index? Did any of them register even 1%?
    I think there is a perception issue, and like many things it's a "drip... drip..." thing. None of these individually means that much, but cumulatively, they push a person here, a person there, to make the journey from the Conservatives to the LibDems. (They also allow the LibDems to have a USP other than Europe.)

It's the constant balancing act for a political party, but the "playing to the base" that victory has necessitated will both re-encourage tactical voting against the Conservatives and turn off a few people.
  • Options
    RobD said:

calum said:

What these guys seem to have failed to notice is that the Scottish Tories faced their extinction level event 20 years ago and are showing no signs of recovery, if anything their older voter demographic is gradually dying out.

Hasn't the Scottish Tory vote risen in numbers at each election since 2001? Hardly dying out.
    Scottish Tory vote %s and seats - I'm not seeing any positive trend here:

1979 31.4% 22 / 72

1983 28.4% 21 / 72

1987 24.0% 10 / 72

1992 25.8% 11 / 72

1997 17.5% 0 / 72

2001 15.6% 1 / 72

2005 15.8% 1 / 59

2010 16.7% 1 / 59

2015 14.9% 1 / 59
  • Options

tyson said:

I wanna be a survivor.

Well, I did do the Nuneaton to Leicester line for the first time a few weeks back :)
    Leicester has a particularly fine station, a lovely piece of Victorian Gothic.
  • Options
    @Dair

SNP 2015 = Bloc Quebecois 1992

In that year, the BQ went from 10 seats to 54. It was their high water mark.
  • Options
    calum said:

RobD said:

calum said:

1979 31.4% 22 / 72

1983 28.4% 21 / 72

1987 24.0% 10 / 72

1992 25.8% 11 / 72

1997 17.5% 0 / 72

2001 15.6% 1 / 72

2005 15.8% 1 / 59

2010 16.7% 1 / 59

2015 14.9% 1 / 59
    I said in numbers. Your thesis was the Tory party was 'dying out'. Yet in terms of numbers, it is growing.
  • Options

GE2115 inquest?

Labour were convinced that the Tories had lost many of their workers to UKIP. We were a hollowed-out party. A hologram. A spent force.

And we just sat back and smiled. Never interrupt your enemy when they are under-estimating you.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    tyson said:

More racist stereotyping from tyson!
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    "A Socialist candidate who was left red-faced after getting NO VOTES at last week's local elections is demanding a re-count - after saying he "definitely" voted for himself."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/i-know-voted-me-angry-5703584
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@Dair

SNP 2015 = Bloc Quebecois 1992

In that year, the BQ went from 10 seats to 54. It was their high water mark.

ooooo, you'll rue the day!
  • Options

GE2115 inquest?

Seems to me their essential problem was that whilst Labour were delivering 500 impersonal leaflets on a random basis, of which 480 were to their own committed voters, their opponents committed voters, committed non-voters, at the same time the Tories were delivering 50 personally-addressed letters to those who would decide the election.

(As well as 10,000 impersonal leaflets across Torbay ;-) )
  • Options

tyson said:

I wanna be a survivor.

True, I already did London to Leicester back in 2012 :)

(also did Leicester to Sheffield later the same year)
    (also did Birmingham to Derby within the last year or so)
  • Options
    RobD said:

calum said:

RobD said:

calum said:

1979 31.4% 22 / 72

1983 28.4% 21 / 72

1987 24.0% 10 / 72

1992 25.8% 11 / 72

1997 17.5% 0 / 72

2001 15.6% 1 / 72

2005 15.8% 1 / 59

2010 16.7% 1 / 59

2015 14.9% 1 / 59
    I said in numbers. Your thesis was the Tory party was 'dying out'. Yet in terms of numbers, it is growing.
    Isn't 14.9 less than 16.7?
  • Options

RobD said:

calum said:

RobD said:

calum said:

1979 31.4% 22 / 72

1983 28.4% 21 / 72

1987 24.0% 10 / 72

1992 25.8% 11 / 72

1997 17.5% 0 / 72

2001 15.6% 1 / 72

2005 15.8% 1 / 59

2010 16.7% 1 / 59

2015 14.9% 1 / 59
    You missed the crucial "%" symbol, Sunil. :D
  • Options

tyson said:

More racist stereotyping from tyson!
    For the latter, I suggest you get the TebbitChip looked at!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    calum said:

Poor old Iain Martin, he must now be readying his eulogy for the Union.

Wings Over Scotland @WingsScotland · 4h 4 hours ago
    "If Labour loses Scotland, the Union will be done for. Jim Murphy must turn the tide against the SNP." https://archive.is/EQSOu
  • Options
    Dair said:

calum said:

I suspect that SCUP were really, really hoping that John Lamont would win the Westminster seat giving Davidson a safe constituency (in a safe Region) for the Tories. I'm not convinced they will need to move her, with the Liberal death throes, the Tories should just about manage enough List votes to keep her as a Glasgow List MSP.
    The LibDems got 2% in Glasgow last time around, so were dead in the water even then. SNP would theoretically sweep all the constituency seats and possibly get a 50% plus regional vote. I just spotted that Patrick H is a Glasgow list MSP on 6% as well. We need John Curtis to turn his giant brain to all of this and give some perspective on how this could all play out.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

As as @rcs1000 has said, it's less about those issues individually, and more how collectively pandering towards' the grassroots base of the Conservative party affects voters' perception of the party.

• Options
    Kerry's expressed concern about China's desire to grab the South China Sea [seizing territory of many other nations]:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-32762659

However, it'd be hard to see them being stopped.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659

Late swing.. If there was I doubt it was much, if anything the "squarerootomer" called it right at least a month if not more before the election. Every fibre in my body was telling me the polls were wrong and they were. Look at the pollsters for Labour, they knew but Ed kept quiet. The Tories knew but they weren't going to say anything...

I think the pollsters were measuring the wrong thing, I am not an expert, but would it be stretching it to say that it was rather odd that all the pollsters results seemed to coalesce?

Ah yes the coalescing polls.

If you stand out and are even more wrong than your opponents you are stuffed for future business. (Survation admitted so,, in not those words)
    If you are in the pack and all are wrong, so what?

I looked at the polls and especially YouGov who hardly varied and concluded they did not reflect the real world.

I am of the opinion that the polls review will either be an anodyne whitewash or we will learn of some arbitrray "adjustments". I may of course be totally incorrect and all adjustments were logical, consistent and the fact the results were irrationally close just a co-incidence..:-)
  • Options
    Dair said:

But none of that will change for 2020. Unless there is an unexpected implosion of SNP support, you face the exact same challenge. The SNP's majorities are MASSIVE in most seats (including a lot of the former Liberal seats. If a concerted attack for Unionist tactical votes failed this time, there is no reason to believe it can work again, worse you will lose votes to the Tories in seats where they are the better option to take on the SNP (and more determinedly Unionist).

The LIberals trail the SNP by too many votes.

2010 Liberal seats and 215 SNP majority.

Orkney and Zetland - won by 728

Dunb East - 2617
    Edin West - 3210
    Caithness - 3844 (smaller than average constituency)
    Fife NE - 4344
    Ross - 5124 (smaller than average constituency)
    Argyll - 8473
    Gordon - 8687
    Berwickshire - 9851 (third to Tory second)
    Inverness - 10809
    Kincadine - 11137

The only feasible targets are Dunbarton East, Edinburgh West. That's it. And in Dunbarton East that was a 82% turnout, there's nothing to squeeze and no high profile incumbency. Sorry but the LibDems are as finished as Scottish Labour. Without the money Scottish Labour will have.

Holyrood could be the final death of Liberal Scotland. The likelyhood is two seats - a NE List and Orkney. Even that isn't guaranteed.

At some point the SNP vote will start to decline. Given how crap the SNP's record in government has been, the opposition parties should be preparing for a serious assault on Holyrood next year. As it is, Scottish Labour look a bit too punch drunk to mount a serious challenge.

I still expect Lib Dem gains - we're out of the Coalition that we were punished for being a part of in 2011 and a relatively small uplift could see us pick up some seats.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

tyson said:

I wanna be a survivor.

True, I already did London to Leicester back in 2012 :)

(also did Leicester to Sheffield later the same year)
    (also did Birmingham to Derby within the last year or so)
    There must also be some lovely canals nearby, when you tire of the railways.

And when nights grow dim, a discussion on the military conduct of the Second Punic War is an inexhaustable topic...
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,322

calum said:

Poor old Iain Martin, he must now be readying his eulogy for the Union.

Wings Over Scotland @WingsScotland · 4h 4 hours ago
    "If Labour loses Scotland, the Union will be done for. Jim Murphy must turn the tide against the SNP." https://archive.is/EQSOu
    I suspect that was predicated on a hung parliament with the SNP holding to ransom an enfeebled Ed Miliband (Martin was as as duped by the polls at the time as everyone else). But since Dave's triumph I'm more relaxed about the future of the United Kingdom. I predict that the SNP will be mollified with a few glitzy baubles, and Dave will turn on his Etonian charm to the full and have Sturgeon purring like a kitten.
  • Options

At some point the SNP vote will start to decline. Given how crap the SNP's record in government has been, the opposition parties should be preparing for a serious assault on Holyrood next year. As it is, Scottish Labour look a bit too punch drunk to mount a serious challenge.

I still expect Lib Dem gains - we're out of the Coalition that we were punished for being a part of in 2011 and a relatively small uplift could see us pick up some seats.

You can keep accusing the SNP of being crap in government. But the problem is that the country doesn't believe this. They see a government doing well and that they approve of, which delivers Things They Want without costing them money in taxes (just the opposite, Taxes are falling under the SNP).

Until the opposition can work out how to tackle this perception (and saying SNP Bad and SNP Government is Poor doesnt work) then they will be doomed to continued failure at Holyrood.
  • Options

MikeL said:

As as @rcs1000 has said, it's less about those issues individually, and more how collectively pandering towards' the grassroots base of the Conservative party affects voters' perception of the party.

At some point you will begin to cotton on to the fact that the so-called pandering to the grassroots base of the Conservative party has a huge overlap with the interests of the voters who win and lose elections.

But hopefully not for a few more elections yet.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Pong said:
    That is a surprise, I thought Ireland was more left-wing than Britain.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pong said:
    Not socially.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    The podcast was interesting (btw, what I do is download podcasts and play them back slightly faster: the preset 1.4x using WMP).

Mixed evidence for late swing. What was intriguing but not developed was the idea there was crossover at conference time, which Labour then recovered.

538 says Survey Monkey called it right
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/surveymonkey-was-the-other-winner-of-the-u-k-election/
    Survey Monkey had a very large number of respondents but there was no weighting to reconstruct a representative sample.

Survey Monkey might just have got lucky but one thing in that article is interesting and some of the number crunchers here might have looked at it in traditional polls. They did not weight for likelihood to vote, as they assumed anyone interested enough to answer the questions (without payment) was also likely to vote. Does anyone know what the UK phone polls look like if you take out the likelihood corrections?
  • Options

MikeL said:

At some point you will begin to cotton on to the fact that the so-called pandering to the grassroots base of the Conservative party has a huge overlap with the interests of the voters who win and lose elections.

But hopefully not for a few more elections yet.
    If that was the case, the Tories' would have won in 2001, and 2005. The voters who win elections generally aren't hardcore right-wing, they are usually in the centre.
  • Options

Kerry's expressed concern about China's desire to grab the South China Sea [seizing territory of many other nations]:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-32762659

However, it'd be hard to see them being stopped.

It's a very practical problem.
    How do you own a coral reef a thousand miles from the nearest mainland and if you can then who owned it first.

China's claims go back to the pre-colonial era at a time when the neighbouring states did not exist, and even if someone disagrees with those claims they don't have the capabilities to claim those reefs for themselves.
    So in the end the reefs go de-facto to China, since no other is willing or capable to acquire them.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pong said:
    The state is actually quite a bit smaller in Ireland than in the UK. Plus, it's a much more religious society.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The state is actually quite a bit smaller in Ireland than in the UK. Plus, it's a much more religious society.

It's more old Labour school.
    Back in the days when socialists were also Presbyterian ministers.
  • Options
    After a surprising amount of speculation about SNP and fox hunting - no decision:

https://twitter.com/ARobertsonSNP/status/599648146545868803
  • Options
    Apols if already posted.
    Was IOS a Tory plant?

"The story ran, to the Tories’ amusement, that Labour had thousands more activists, better trained and motivated, saturating target seats with Labour leaflets and election messages. “But there was never any evidence of them,” one senior Conservative said. “Labour must have been moving imaginary soldiers around or something.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11609570/Secrets-of-the-Tories-election-war-room.html
  • Options
    Mr. Speedy, ultimately, though we often like to pretend otherwise, might is right. It only isn't when everyone agrees it isn't.

Rome didn't get the empire by persuading the Gauls to join the EU.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    I think one of the severe problems about some moe right wing contributers to this site is that they give some credence to the total and complete fantasy about Scotland as presented by the Daily Telegraph or the likes of Iain Martin. These people are actually seriously and completely bonkers oh and the Tory revival like the great white American heavyweight hope is coming very soon.

In the real world the SNP administration, as led by Salmond, was the most efficient ever in this parish and the most controlled since that of Willie Ross. Salmond was a seriously great organiser and enabler of the civil service to achieve as opposed to excuse itself. It remains to be seen if the administration of Ms Sturgeon will be as able although the initial signs are promising.
  • Options
    calum said:

After a surprising amount of speculation about SNP and fox hunting - no decision:

https://twitter.com/ARobertsonSNP/status/599648146545868803

Is the SNP contemplating shooting their foot along with foxes?

Fancy the "radical left" SNP voting in favour of fox hunting alongside Tories.
    That will be exhibit A in any Labour counterattack in scotland.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Pong said:
    To put my small state comment into context, government spending as a percentage of GDP is 46% in the UK, and 40% in Ireland. (In Switzerland, government spending just 34% of GDP. Maybe there's a lesson here...)
  • Options
    Mr. Calum, if the SNP could play a role defeating the motion they could use it to emphasise their power and how they 'care' about the whole UK (even English foxes), perhaps even as an argument against EVEL.

But if the numbers don't stack up, they may not want to vote against and highlight their weakness, and can always claim the moral high ground (it's devolved, doesn't affect us etc etc).
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

calum said:

RobD said:

calum said:

1979 31.4% 22 / 72

1983 28.4% 21 / 72

1987 24.0% 10 / 72

1992 25.8% 11 / 72

1997 17.5% 0 / 72

2001 15.6% 1 / 72

2005 15.8% 1 / 59

2010 16.7% 1 / 59

2015 14.9% 1 / 59
    You missed the crucial "%" symbol, Sunil. :D
    14.9% is than 16.7%? :lol:
This discussion has been closed.