Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson, PB’s LAB insider, says Yvette, not Burnham

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson, PB’s LAB insider, says Yvette, not Burnham, should be favourite for the party leadership

It’s only been a week but it’s shaping up to be a lively leadership and deputy contest so far. Some early discussion on lost voters, did Labour spend too much, was there much wrong with Labour’s manifesto if anything and even which type of unsuspecting supermarket shopper should the party pouncing on in the car parks in five years time.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    edited May 2015
    First!

and didn't she say Labour didn't spend too much. Off to a great start!
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    If Labour have any sense they would not go anywhere near Mrs Cooper Balls. Every time she appears then Balls will be there waving just to remind the electorate. It would be Balls by stealth.
  • Options
    Sorry O/T .......The EdStone has been found !!

It's in here! Ed-stone made for No 10 tracked down to bleak London warehouse and boss of stonemasons who carved it reveals he's a 'true-blue' Tory

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3083863/It-s-Ed-stone-No-10-tracked-bleak-London-warehouse-boss-stonemasons-carved-reveals-s-true-blue-Tory.html#ixzz3aH4xGdjS
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    "Cooper" and "charm" in the same sentence. There's a first, Henry!
  • Options
    "Balls by stealth"

* shudders *
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    It would appear to be it's a choice between the unelectable and the unappealing... Yvette Cooper falls into both camps as far s I am concerned.

Mrs Madasafish - rather unpolitical - thinks she has all the appeal of a wet fish (as opposed to a mad one).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    edited May 2015
    Moses_ said:

If Labour have any sense they would not go anywhere near Mrs Cooper Balls. Every time she appears then Balls will be there waving just to remind the electorate. It would be Balls by stealth.

It might be incredibly unfair, but that is exactly how I see it too. I think the Tories would fear Kendall the most for what it's worth.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Mrs Ed Balls or Mr Stafford Hospital - the Tories must be over the moon that these two cohorts of Brown are the favourites.

Seriously Labour, is anyone listening? If the choice was Kendall or Jarvis the government would be worried, as it is they're probably looking forward to the next 5 years of Labour infighting.
  • Options
    TBH both the favourite candidates always strike me as being about to burst into tears.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Mrs Ed Balls or Mr Stafford Hospital - the Tories must be over the moon that these two cohorts of Brown are the favourites.

Seriously Labour, is anyone listening? If the choice was Kendall or Jarvis the government would be worried, as it is they're probably looking forward to the next 5 years of Labour infighting.

Yep...can't help but agree. Lke Nick Clegg, all those associated with Gordon Brown's government are a toxic brand.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Sandpit said:

It would be like the Tories offering the voters a choice between the architect of the Poll Tax versus the architect of the Bedroom Tax.

Can you not see that, Labour? (Hoping they can't...)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Yep...can't help but agree. Lke Nick Clegg, all those associated with Gordon Brown's government are a toxic brand.
    Labour must be in a very bad place. I mean we can now say there is a good possibility that the next Labour leader hasn't yet entered the HoC. ( on the bright side......its one up from not yet been born I suppose)
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Keir Starmer. Thoughts?
  • Options

It would appear to be it's a choice between the unelectable and the unappealing... Yvette Cooper falls into both camps as far s I am concerned.

Mrs Madasafish - rather unpolitical - thinks she has all the appeal of a wet fish (as opposed to a mad one).

A friend of mine calls her the Pasty-faced Waif.

Although the Scottish slang would be the Peely-Wally Waif, which has a musical charm to it....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Serial 'flipper', Gordo cabinet member, deficit denier, HIPs...

ToriesForBurnham™ could live with this result
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Just catching up on QT - Tristram Hunt is an idiot. I hope he wins.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Once the leader is selected doesn't it halve the field for Deputy leader? As I think leader and deputy have to be of opposite sex . Or have I misunderstood the rule introduced by Harman? If it is a strong field of male candidates, for deputy, will they try and stitch up the leaders post for a female candidate?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    O/T it's only just occurred to me that, once EVEL goes through, it's probable that the hunting ban in England will be repealed. The Tories have a majority of 107 in England.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    I think Yvette Cooper does not have a strong enough personality to win this. She has been almost invisible in the last 5 years. Burnham has been much more high profile.

Both are closely associated with the failures of not only the Brown era but also the Miliband era, surely one of the weakest and most ineffective oppositions in modern times. Neither stood out in those eras in terms of pushing ideas, forcing change or even particularly being special with their brief.

If I was a Labour voter, which I am not of course, I would be looking for someone outside that tent. Liz Kendall seems to offer a better choice of direction but has a lot of work to do to get known.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Cheers HenryG, for an interesting take, on the leadership runners and riders; best summed up as a very short list, of rather unremarkable candidates.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Just catching up on QT - Tristram Hunt is an idiot. I hope he wins.

I don't think Labour will be so silly as to elect him. As an aside, I was interested to see how badly Labour did in Stoke.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Once the leader is selected doesn't it halve the field for Deputy leader? As I think leader and deputy have to be of opposite sex . Or have I misunderstood the rule introduced by Harman? If it is a strong field of male candidates, for deputy, will they try and stitch up the leaders post for a female candidate?

Under Hattie's rule, at least one of them has to be a woman (or Jack Dromey)

Two wimmin is ok, two men is unacceptable, but I am not sure that Hattie's rule actually made it into the books
  • Options
    I think this sums up Labours ground operation as mentioned by IOS . Just took a peek at the Red Rag site to see what they thought of the upcoming leadership election. The site appears not to have been updated since March 2014. Bit odd considering it was an election and the headline banner across the top of the page is....

RED RAG
    GOING FOR THE COALITIONS JUGULAR 24 HOURS A DAY. THE TRUTH WILL OUT!

Maybe they decided a capillary was as much as they could manage?

• Options
    @SunPolitics: EXCL - Senior Labour MPs begged Alan Johnson to run for leader in days after election: http://t.co/oeximhldmg

...again
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

It's in here! Ed-stone made for No 10 tracked down to bleak London warehouse and boss of stonemasons who carved it reveals he's a 'true-blue' Tory

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3083863/It-s-Ed-stone-No-10-tracked-bleak-London-warehouse-boss-stonemasons-carved-reveals-s-true-blue-Tory.html#ixzz3aH4xGdjS

I liked the account of the Labour pollster screaming with horror when news of the Ed Stone broke.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Scott_P said:

saddened said:

Under Hattie's rule, at least one of them has to be a woman (or Jack Dromey)

Two wimmin is ok, two men is unacceptable, but I am not sure that Hattie's rule actually made it into the books
    Thanks.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Moses_ said:

I liked the account of the Labour pollster screaming with horror when news of the Ed Stone broke.
    I'd somehow missed Boris' pithy take on the Ed Stone:

" The heaviest suicide note in history...."
  • Options
    @chrisshipitv: On balance not a bad week for Cameron: win majority; watch chaotic Labour leadership election; witness UKIP's MP tell leader to take a break
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Yvette at least has some help around the house:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3083887/Portrait-man-taken-cleaners-voters-Ed-Balls-pictured-carrying-dirty-suits-laundrette.html

I rather like Yvette, who has a rather elfin charm, but I am not sure how effective a campaigner she is. She was Shadow Home Secretary but fairly invisible over the last few months. It may be that, like Ed Balls, she was out of the loop. She did substantially better than her husband though, by increasing her majority.

Andy Burnham always seems popular with the grass roots, and I think rightly favourite, as they are the electorate. He put the effort in during the campaign.

Mary Creagh is interesting, but not yet a distinctive voice. Tristam Hunt will not get even close. Kier Starmer needs to put some time in at the coalface before considering a run next time.

Which leaves Liz Kendall. Clearly intelligent and ambitious, but at risk of telling a few too many home truths. Are Labour hungry enough for power yet or are they going to retreat to the comfort zone?

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    Good morning, everyone.

Significant F1 rule changes ahead with refuelling and all tyres available in the next couple of years. I hope we also see the return of the F1 Mole. In 2009, the Mole basically told us what cars had what fuel in qualifying, which also meant predicting race results at better odds seemed easier.

On-topic: hard for me to call this. I think what might be critical is how those who vote view Labour's campaign/platform under Miliband. Activists seem to blame the horrid electorate for letting the party down. If that's the case, the leftier candidate would seem to have a better shot.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,336

I think Mrs Madasafish is very unfair. I've known some very appealing wet fish. You can watch goldfish swimming around amiably in a pond for hours and think no evil of them.

Yvette Cooper on the other hand is arrogant, rude, patronising, not blessed with great intelligence and a millionaire's daughter who has had to have doors opened for her by her family wealth and connections at every step of the way to compensate for her grave personal defects.

Labour's problem is basically that it is the party of an arrogant and wealthy metropolitan elite who are grossly unselfaware and have confused their personal social views - a radical form of liberalism - with left-wing politics, which often has quite xenophobic, even racist, and sexist undertones, coupled to a contempt for those who cannot make it on their own. Yvette Cooper would typify this problem to an even greater extent than Miliband. If they elect her, they run the real risk of forfeiting every seat they hold outside a handful of urban areas (Manchester, Bristol, Brighton, Birmingham, Cardiff, Newcastle) that basically ape London's demography and ideals.

No party can hope to win power on such a narrow basis. Labour needs (and I hate to use a cliché, but this one is right) to 'reconnect' with the voters who don't buy into the leadership's ideas of an ideal society, and start speaking up for them again, if it is to have any hope of surviving in the medium term.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Scott_P said:

@SunPolitics: EXCL - Senior Labour MPs begged Alan Johnson to run for leader in days after election: http://t.co/oeximhldmg

...again

Brilliant idea, go with the safe pair of hands as a caretaker for a couple of years and think about what they want to be as a party.

Nothing at all about my tenner at 150's , nothing at all... ;)
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Yvette at least has some help around the house:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3083887/Portrait-man-taken-cleaners-voters-Ed-Balls-pictured-carrying-dirty-suits-laundrette.html

I rather like Yvette, who has a rather elfin charm, but I am not sure how effective a campaigner she is. She was Shadow Home Secretary but fairly invisible over the last few months. It may be that, like Ed Balls, she was out of the loop. She did substantially better than her husband though, by increasing her majority.

Andy Burnham always seems popular with the grass roots, and I think rightly favourite, as they are the electorate. He put the effort in during the campaign.

Mary Creagh is interesting, but not yet a distinctive voice. Tristam Hunt will not get even close. Kier Starmer needs to put some time in at the coalface before considering a run next time.

Which leaves Liz Kendall. Clearly intelligent and ambitious, but at risk of telling a few too many home truths. Are Labour hungry enough for power yet or are they going to retreat to the comfort zone?

Kendall is running quite a good campaign to be the next Tory leader.

• Options
    To support Mr Manson's article. Most Labour members are in London. They are more likely to support Cooper over Burnham.
  • Options

I think what might be critical is how those who vote view Labour's campaign/platform under Miliband. Activists seem to blame the horrid electorate for letting the party down. If that's the case, the leftier candidate would seem to have a better shot.

I agree. I was in one of those aforementioned urban areas the morning after the election and the bafflement and rage of the people there was really quite astonishing to behold. They seemed to think that the electorate had voted Conservative purely to spite themselves.

I would like to think, @foxinsoxuk that Labour - indeed, anybody - would have the sense to see that really, the problem is that they lost votes because people don't like them. But remember Hague/IDS, Foot/Kinnock. The first reaction to disaster is denial, and Labour simply won't want to admit the hard truth that what they are offering is something that ordinary, decent people would not only not vote for but would run a hundred miles from. After all, we all like to think of our own brilliance and charm.

I'm guessing it could take another election defeat to really force this issue to Labour's attention, as it did in 1987 and 2005. In the meanwhile, Burnham looks the likely winner - and he came fourth last time, in last place of the serious candidates...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I think Mrs Madasafish is very unfair. I've known some very appealing wet fish. You can watch goldfish swimming around amiably in a pond for hours and think no evil of them.

Yvette Cooper on the other hand is arrogant, rude, patronising, not blessed with great intelligence and a millionaire's daughter who has had to have doors opened for her by her family wealth and connections at every step of the way to compensate for her grave personal defects.

Labour's problem is basically that it is the party of an arrogant and wealthy metropolitan elite who are grossly unselfaware and have confused their personal social views - a radical form of liberalism - with left-wing politics, which often has quite xenophobic, even racist, and sexist undertones, coupled to a contempt for those who cannot make it on their own. Yvette Cooper would typify this problem to an even greater extent than Miliband. If they elect her, they run the real risk of forfeiting every seat they hold outside a handful of urban areas (Manchester, Bristol, Brighton, Birmingham, Cardiff, Newcastle) that basically ape London's demography and ideals.

No party can hope to win power on such a narrow basis. Labour needs (and I hate to use a cliché, but this one is right) to 'reconnect' with the voters who don't buy into the leadership's ideas of an ideal society, and start speaking up for them again, if it is to have any hope of surviving in the medium term.
    I think you are being a little unfair on Yvette. She is more lacklustre than repulsive.

It is time to move on from the Blair/Brown feuding, and the Brownite plotting. The election is five years away, and needs a new face.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Only iceberg for Cooper is that at some point during the campaign she might have to talk and answer a question.

She's the most overrated Labour potential leader since either Miliband.
  • Options
    To back my point about Labour's denial:

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/05/15/labours-fruitcakes-are-turning-us-into-the-nasty-party/

There is only one thing I disagree with - Labour turned into the nasty party a long time ago (certainly by the 1980s). My vote was decided by the highly personal and extremely dishonest abuse on an internet message board of a candidate in the South of England whom I knew and respected by a Labour hack, who later turned out to be actually from HQ going around trolling the opposition.

Yvette Cooper, unfortunately, exemplifies this part of the party (just listen to her constantly interrupting and talking over anyone who dares to point out that she is wrong when she is interviewed). Like I say, she would be an existential threat to Labour.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, but this won't be the first reaction. It'll be the second. Labour lost in 2010 and they lost again, managing to go backwards despite being the only nationwide opposition party after they decided to pick Ed Miliband to lead them.

That said, I do agree with you that denial will be the order of the day.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Excellent piece, Henry. As Mike says, favourites rarely win and Chuka has already gone. The unions will still wield power. I wonder if there is a joint bet to be had for London Mayor/Labour Leader? Even a 3 way Mayor/Leader/Deputy?

If so I would go Khan/Burnham/Creasy. Khan got a big swing for Labour in London. Burnham has friends in the North and Unions, Creasy is just a class act with huge majority.
  • Options

Mr. Doethur, but this won't be the first reaction. It'll be the second. Labour lost in 2010 and they lost again, managing to go backwards despite being the only nationwide opposition party after they decided to pick Ed Miliband to lead them.

I think the point is that they were more or less resigned to losing in 2010 and actually, because they didn't concede an overall majority, didn't feel they had really lost (hence the 35% strategy). OK, so that was in itself a form of denial. But it would appear that up until 10pm last Thursday, they expected to be in government. So this is, in a sense, the first reaction to actual defeat. Shock will be part of the reaction, and shocked people tend to find excuses. We've already seen quite a number of them - it was the media, or the leadership, or the Brand interview, etc. etc. Therefore, Labour will surely default to comfort zone as you predict.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, that's a good point. Labour didn't only lose, they were surprised [not unlike Flaminius at Lake Trasimene].
  • Options

I think you are being a little unfair on Yvette. She is more lacklustre than repulsive.

It is time to move on from the Blair/Brown feuding, and the Brownite plotting. The election is five years away, and needs a new face.

She has always struck me as repulsive, partly because of her smugness and partly because of her rudeness, although I'm happy to accept that she may appear differently to others (Thatcher would be another classic example of that, although Cooper is both less divisive and less forceful than Thatcher was).

However differently she appears, I think we can agree that for various reasons she is not likely to be the answer to Labour's problems?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

David Aaronovitch is quite wrong to argue we're all Metroplitan now. The politics of the marginal seats in England and Wales are very different from those cities you mention.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I think the point is that they were more or less resigned to losing in 2010 and actually, because they didn't concede an overall majority, didn't feel they had really lost (hence the 35% strategy). OK, so that was in itself a form of denial. But it would appear that up until 10pm last Thursday, they expected to be in government. So this is, in a sense, the first reaction to actual defeat. Shock will be part of the reaction, and shocked people tend to find excuses. We've already seen quite a number of them - it was the media, or the leadership, or the Brand interview, etc. etc. Therefore, Labour will surely default to comfort zone as you predict.
    The grief reaction follows the path: shock, denial, anger, despair, bargaining then acceptance. The first few stages are particularly full of raw emotion, and both UKIP and Labour are not expressing their anger very productively. There is something to be said for a leader not resigning immediately after a defeat, but rather staying on as a lightening conductor for a bit. It takes a pretty thick skin though.

It is only a month to the nominations, after that another couple of months to the actual ballot. I think that the majority of Labour supporters will have moved beyond anger, denial and despair by then.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Mrs Balls sole achievement in office was the HIPs fiasco. Can anyone imagine her as PM ?
  • Options
    HenryGMansonHenryGManson Posts: 149
    In answer to an earlier point, the deputy will be able to be male or female regardless of who is elected leader. Because both contests are taking place at the same time 'Hattie's Law' won't apply.
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), yes. We had Brown as PM.
  • Options
    HenryGMansonHenryGManson Posts: 149
    Dixie - I agree Creasy is a class act and I wish she was putting herself forward as leader rather than deputy.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited May 2015
    Quite - though what strikes me most whenever I see or hear her is the persona of a disapproving school ma'am.

She shows such little humour or human warmth that she appears constantly disappointed with everything around her, and grimly towing the Party line out of duty.

After all this time on the front line, I'd have expected her to unbend a bit - but no. I tend to turn over when she's on the TV or I deliberately do something else to avoid feeling like I ought to have done better in my O Levels 30yrs ago.

It's a most peculiar effect. No one else manages it!
    Scott_P said:

Serial 'flipper', Gordo cabinet member, deficit denier, HIPs...

ToriesForBurnham™ could live with this result

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I cannot see any of the current candidates worrying Dave. That's Labour's problem in a nutshell.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904

Dixie - I agree Creasy is a class act and I wish she was putting herself forward as leader rather than deputy.

Cooper will have to work very hard on her TV persona to win this. Very technocratic language during the campaign.

Not hugely popular either, arguably half way to being a marmite candidate.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, she isn't worse than 'Ed speaks human'.

To be honest, I'd rather have her than Burnham. At least she doesn't appear to be struggling to keep the tears inside.

Also, you can't be 'halfway' marmite. :p

Mr. Root, me neither, largely because Cameron's going to resign partway through the Parliament :p
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    "The decisive factor could be the nuts"

Plenty of those about Henry..! :lol:
  • Options

I think she is quite close to Kendall politically, though not so nakedly ambitious.

Kendall was editor of a thinktank essay compilation last year and chose Creasy for the opening one:

http://www.policy-network.net/publications/4746/Laying-the-Foundations-for-a-Labour-Century

• Options
    I can honestly say that I barely noticed Yvette during the entire last 5yrs. She was up against Hague as SFSec and did nothing much - then she was against May and we expected more fireworks but there were relatively few.

All in all - a most unremarkable track record for anyone seeking to be a future PM.
    TGOHF said:

Mrs Balls sole achievement in office was the HIPs fiasco. Can anyone imagine her as PM ?

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

To be honest, I'd rather have her than Burnham. At least she doesn't appear to be struggling to keep the tears inside.

Mr. Root, me neither, largely because Cameron's going to resign partway through the Parliament :p

Ok fair enough Dave is going to go but I reckon it will be at least 3 yrs in if not nearly 4.

It doesn't really matter who Labour put up in 2020 against the Tories, what actually matters is the events in this parliament, devolution/FFA and the Europe vote
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer

Andy's lip-quivering and moist eyes are very peculiar. I thought Philip Collins assessment in The Times was much the same as most of us on here. That his *emoting* is therapy, not analysis - akin to someone telling you to have a good cry and you'll feel better.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Ok fair enough Dave is going to go but I reckon it will be at least 3 yrs in if not nearly 4.

It doesn't really matter who Labour put up in 2020 against the Tories, what actually matters is the events in this parliament, devolution/FFA and the Europe vote
    You could not be more wrong. If the Tories have a bad five years and create an opening for Labour, Labour will still not win if they pick someone who is not seem as a potential PM.

Arguably it just happened.
  • Options
    If you missed it - Lynton Crosby in the Telegraph takes few prisoners, notably Tim Montie. Thought this was rather pithy about Labour's campaign
    So what did Mr Crosby think of Labour’s campaign?

“I couldn't really understand it. They just wanted to divide Britain and they focussed too much on process. Labour were always trying to talk up how clever they were. How they’d set up the Green attack unit, how they had set up the Ukip attack unit. How they were having 4 million conversations across the country.

"Well we had more than that - but you don’t talk about it.”

The final months of the campaign were dominated by Mr Miliband’s failure to rule out getting into government thanks to the support of Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP.

Mr Crosby is still bemused at how badly Labour handled the SNP issue.

“I don’t understand why Labour didn’t change their core vote strategy when it became clear that Scotland was a serious problem for them. They didn’t seem to respond to that in the way they should have - which was they should have completely reshaped their campaign in the rest of the country.”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11608589/Lynton-Crosby-the-so-called-experts-have-lost-touch-with-ordinary-people.html

• Options
    Mr. Jonathan, 'it has just happened' = do you mean the Conservatives have cocked it up, or Labour have a range of leadership contenders who are a bit rubbish?
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, 'it has just happened' = do you mean the Conservatives have cocked it up, or Labour have a range of leadership contenders who are a bit rubbish?

There was an opening for Labour in 2015, which a different leader might have seized. I doubt Dave would have a majority now if AJ had been leader.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, ah, cheers.

Hmm. I agree. Johnson's very likeably but he's not sharp enough (utterly buggered up the GP contracts). If he had the right people in the right jobs then that, coupled with his common touch, would've delivered Labour many more seats.

Miliband being leader coinciding with the SNP tsunami in Scotland was an unfortunate circumstance for Labour.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    TGOHF said:

Only iceberg for Cooper is that at some point during the campaign she might have to talk and answer a question.

She's the most overrated Labour potential leader since either Miliband.

Agree , totally useless so a potential winner for sure
  • Options
    Incidentally, forgot to mention it earlier. Episode 5 of Zodiac Eclipse is now up:
    http://www.kraxon.com/zodiac-eclipse-the-tigers-eye/
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Jonathan said:

There was an opening for Labour in 2015, which a different leader might have seized. I doubt Dave would have a majority now if AJ had been leader.
    The leadership issue was quite critical, but AJ did not run and DM did not win. This is the "bargaining" stage of the grief response.

5 years is a long time in politics, and the political landscape will be quite different in 2020. Whoever wins that election would be expecting to be PM to 2025 at least. That person is not likely to be a retread like Burnham or Cooper.

It is worth reading the policy review paper that I linked to below, that is what the new generation are thinking. It is beyond Brownism vs Blairism. Kendall's essay is particularly thoughtful. For example:

"We also need to tackle a form of dependency that stifles people’s aspiration. Welfare dependency is not, as the Tories claim, the effect of an over-generous benefits system. Anyone working with people on benefits knows how much they struggle to make ends meet and put food on the table. Problems arise when public services take over decision-making about too many key aspects of people’s lives, without properly involving them, slowly sapping their self-reliance and aspiration. The more vulnerable you are, and the more public services you need to to deal with the complex challenges you face, the more pronounced this effect becomes."

Quite a revolutionary. Power to the People!

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

...again

Brilliant idea, go with the safe pair of hands as a caretaker for a couple of years and think about what they want to be as a party.

I agree totally, let the popular Alan Johnson become a caretaker probably until Cameron resigns, then appoint whoever has performed well in public during that time.

Mind you I do have a fiver at 190/1!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

...again

I agree totally, let the popular Alan Johnson become a caretaker probably until Cameron resigns, then appoint whoever has performed well in public during that time.

Mind you I do have a fiver at 190/1!
    That would be a disaster (apart from your pocket!). Five years to rebuild a party and have a comprehensive overhaul is no task for a genial but ineffective leader like AJ.
  • Options

The leadership issue was quite critical, but AJ did not run and DM did not win. This is the "bargaining" stage of the grief response.

That's somewhat patronising. I know what happened, but am entitled to say it was a mistake.

Let's just say Labour need to pick a leader who might actually be popular, or at least isn't an issue in his or her own right in the campaign. Radical thought I know.

It was a huge opportunity cost to Labour to have to spend the whole campaign having to argue that "Look! He isn't as bad as you think!" rather than focusing on voters and the policies that make their lives better.

• Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382
    “I couldn't really understand it. They just wanted to divide Britain and they focussed too much on process. Labour were always trying to talk up how clever they were. How they’d set up the Green attack unit, how they had set up the Ukip attack unit. How they were having 4 million conversations across the country.

"Well we had more than that - but you don’t talk about it.”

Interesting point that which we saw a little of on here with the premature boasting of Nick Palmer in the weeks before the election.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That's somewhat patronising. I know what happened, but am entitled to say it was a mistake.

Let's just say Labour need to pick a leader who might actually be popular, or at least isn't an issue in his or her own right in the campaign. Radical thought I know.

It was a huge opportunity cost to Labour to have to spend the whole campaign having to argue that "Look! He isn't as bad as you think!" rather than focusing on voters and the policies that make their lives better.

I think few deny that the wrong leader was chosen in 2010. Politics is about opinions, but the idea that AJ would have done better is a delusion. AJ is a genial guy but ineffective. He was not on top of health issues, for example the Stafford problems were mostly on his watch at the DoH. (Morris Dancer is wrong below -the new GP contract came in under Milburn).
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    Sean_F said:

O/T it's only just occurred to me that, once EVEL goes through, it's probable that the hunting ban in England will be repealed. The Tories have a majority of 107 in England.

I posted the same point on here last Saturday. Not that I like to brag!

IMHO, Cameron will need to propose a licenced form of hunting rather than full repeal to the status quo ante bellum. Otherwise, opposition may be far more fierce and the risk is that Labour would just ban it again once they, eventually, regain office.
  • Options
    Plato said:

If you missed it - Lynton Crosby in the Telegraph takes few prisoners, notably Tim Montie.

Remember Montie calling for a new plan to win a few weeks ago

Step 1. Tim, sit down and SHUT UP!

Step 2. Repeat Step 1
  • Options

the risk is that Labour would just ban it again once they, eventually, regain office.

If they have an English majority. How many Scottish Labour MPs voted for it last time?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

IMHO, Cameron will need to propose a licenced form of hunting rather than full repeal to the status quo ante bellum. Otherwise, opposition may be far more fierce and the risk is that Labour would just ban it again once they, eventually, regain office.
    I think the ban on foxhunting is like Gay marriage, beyond repeal. It is not possible to go backwards on such issues, whatever the merits of the arguments. Things have moved on.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Why don't Labour stop messing about and get McCluskey a safe seat... job done..
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,319
    Its a good job we have UKIP tearing strips off each other to distract from the leadership "contest".: Amongst party members I speak to there is a clear view that former cabinet members need not apply. Both Burnham and Cooper have too many skeletons and too few redeeming features.

So onto the new intake. I like Mary Creagh a lot - down to earth, passionate, personable. She needs to set out her stall as she is an unknown quantity. Liz Kendall is continuity New Labour. No thank you. Chuka withdrawing is a disappointment as I thought he would do a good job.

Who does that leave? Keir Starmer is an interesting suggestion but I had to check he was even an MP when I first read his name. Frankly we need more time. Leaders shouldn't just resign when defeated. Ed could have announced he would step down once a contest had been held and then sit tight. Media circus stays with him, gives space for the party to do a postmortem, identify issues and then decide who best to lead.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I think the ban on foxhunting is like Gay marriage, beyond repeal. It is not possible to go backwards on such issues, whatever the merits of the arguments. Things have moved on.
    Rubbish. It's nothing like gay marriage. Doubtless there will be a few spineless Tories who think the same as you do.

There will be plenty of others (the vast majority) who recognise it was a vindicative and mendacious piece of legislation, pushed through to appease the backbenchers of the Labour Party at the time.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

the risk is that Labour would just ban it again once they, eventually, regain office.

If they have an English majority. How many Scottish Labour MPs voted for it last time?
    I think it would be English and Welsh MPs, actually. The act applied to both England and Wales.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

McCluskey = Grima Wormtongue

He wants to be the power behind the throne.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Rubbish. It's nothing like gay marriage. Doubtless there will be a few spineless Tories who think the same as you do.

There will be plenty of others (the vast majority) who recognise it was a vindicative and mendacious piece of legislation, pushed through to appease the backbenchers of the Labour Party at the time.
    There are some Tories who think that acts like fox hunting and cockfighting are barbaric and are rightly banned. That doesn't make us spineless, it just means we disagree on a matter of conscience (which is why its a free vote not whipped).
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    This contest is about bald men arguing over a comb (in which case Chukka would have had a head start, so to speak). The public have given their verdict on Labour.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Wondering about the power behind the Tory throne. Lots of cheques cashed these past two years.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297

Its a good job we have UKIP tearing strips off each other to distract from the leadership "contest".: Amongst party members I speak to there is a clear view that former cabinet members need not apply. Both Burnham and Cooper have too many skeletons and too few redeeming features.

So onto the new intake. I like Mary Creagh a lot - down to earth, passionate, personable. She needs to set out her stall as she is an unknown quantity. Liz Kendall is continuity New Labour. No thank you. Chuka withdrawing is a disappointment as I thought he would do a good job.

Who does that leave? Keir Starmer is an interesting suggestion but I had to check he was even an MP when I first read his name. Frankly we need more time. Leaders shouldn't just resign when defeated. Ed could have announced he would step down once a contest had been held and then sit tight. Media circus stays with him, gives space for the party to do a postmortem, identify issues and then decide who best to lead.

My thoughts exactly, but better phrased!
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    Jonathan said:

Wondering about the power behind the Tory throne. Lots of cheques cashed these past two years.
    Yawn
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    "As it happens Burnham has a decent record to talk about."

The election results have finally made Henry G Manson go off his rocker. ;)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Tories rely upon a wide variety of donors. No individual controls such a significant chunk with us.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659

Sean_F said:

There are some Tories who think that acts like fox hunting and cockfighting are barbaric and are rightly banned. That doesn't make us spineless, it just means we disagree on a matter of conscience (which is why its a free vote not whipped).
    There's an amusing spat on a Beekeeping Forum about fox hunting.. The original poster is a Labour supporter who opposed foxhunting - and he managed to alienate other Labour supporters..

See http://tinyurl.com/okcwth8

I suspect repeal would lead to acts of vandalism by the antis - who will lose public support as a result.

(Yes I keep bees and post under the same name)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I agree that it was a vindictive and tokenistic as well as poorly thought through piece of legislation, but that does not make repeal either popular or even possible.

Have the Tories learned nothing?
  • Options
    Plato said:

I can honestly say that I barely noticed Yvette during the entire last 5yrs. She was up against Hague as SFSec and did nothing much - then she was against May and we expected more fireworks but there were relatively few.

All in all - a most unremarkable track record for anyone seeking to be a future PM.

TGOHF said:

It's a particularly damning indictment on the Shadow Home Secretary that they didn't land a punch on the Home Secretary, or force them to resign even.

Virtually every other Home Secretary has been pummeled to a bloody heap before the inevitable resignation. The last Labour Govt. often got through a couple of Home Secretaries before lunch. Or so it seemed.

And it's not that May just toughed it out. It's just that Yvette never discovered where the jugular was...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Such Tories need to be educated on the facts. The idea that foxhunting is barbaric is totally ignorant and ludicrous. Conflating it with cockfighting is deliberate misrepresentation, and you know it.

There is almost nothing that Labour did in office that irritated me more than the hunting ban, an attack on the countryside and its traditional way of life.

I (and many others) will be watching Tory MPs very carefully on this over the coming months and years. There will be a reckoning for those that go wobbly.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    I approve of this thread. Yvette for loto.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    edited May 2015

Sean_F said:

IMHO, Cameron will need to propose a licenced form of hunting rather than full repeal ...
    I think the ban on foxhunting is like Gay marriage, beyond repeal. ...etc... Things have moved on.
    Rubbish. It's nothing like gay marriage.... it was a vindicative and mendacious piece of legislation, ...etc
    There are some Tories who think that acts like fox hunting and cockfighting are barbaric and are rightly banned. ...etc...
    Hunting foxes has not ended - there are still hunts there are still hounds. The industry, the country pursuits, they are all still there. Repeal is hardly necessary hardly essential. I can support repeal and/or amendment with licencing - but frankly I hardly see the point of energising Labour's nutjob base for them.
    And - PS
    EV4EL is not about fox hunting and we should not make the mistake of conflating the two.
    (and BTW - foxes are becoming an urban menace these days.)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

There's an amusing spat on a Beekeeping Forum about fox hunting.. The original poster is a Labour supporter who opposed foxhunting - and he managed to alienate other Labour supporters..

See http://tinyurl.com/okcwth8

I suspect repeal would lead to acts of vandalism by the antis - who will lose public support as a result.

(Yes I keep bees and post under the same name)
    You can only view that thread if you have more than 20 posts on that forum apparently. I have the feeling that there will be very little public sympathy for a repeal of a hunting ban - a great number of people who were undecided when the ban was passed will see little or no need to repeal it.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

If Liz Kendall is continuity New Labour, so was Chuka, so no need for tears, except that Chuka perhaps has more charisma.

Ed's "say nothing" strategy meant no new stars have, or even could have, emerged in the wasted five years of opposition. Aside from Burnham and Cooper who'd been in government before 2010, what have any of the contenders actually done? Stella Creasy prompted the government to act on payday loans, and so far as I can see, she is the only contender (for deputy in her case) to have added to her cv in this time. This is why people are casting around for fringe contenders like Dan Jarvis or Keir Starmer who has been an MP for about five minutes.

Incidentally, it is interesting that the Conservatives seek to define Labour's choices. Apparently, the next leader must have had a proper job, unlike, say, David Cameron or George Osborne.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    edited May 2015
    Plato said:

If you missed it - Lynton Crosby in the Telegraph takes few prisoners, notably Tim Montie.

Lynton also lambastes the pollsters and say's that they are having too much influence.

His remedy is to ban polling for the final three week's of the campaign... Personally, I think that's OTT and the simpler solution is just to have a serious reduction in the number of polls being conducted - The ridiculous number of polls in the last Parliament became far, far too much.

It's encouraging, there-fore, that since polling day we've only had one published poll and News International appear to have binned that bloody YouGov tracker...

The media and pollsters should be aiming for half the polls in the last Parliament, IMO.

All of that silly "day of poll polling" needs to go as well... Not sure how that's creeped in but no way should pollsters be influencing what's happening on polling day itself...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Such Tories need to be educated on the facts. The idea that foxhunting is barbaric is totally ignorant and ludicrous. Conflating it with cockfighting is deliberate misrepresentation, and you know it.

There is almost nothing that Labour did in office that irritated me more than the hunting ban, an attack on the countryside and its traditional way of life.

I (and many others) will be watching Tory MPs very carefully on this over the coming months and years. There will be a reckoning for those that go wobbly.
    Fox-hunting is not a traditional way of life. It is an anachronistic way of death.

I sincerely hope this Govt. can see it has higher priorities than fox-hunting, even if the legislation left behind by Labour was a hideous mess.

Let Hunts apply for lottery money for drag hunting. Leave reducing the number of foxes to motorists. For more efficient at delivering instant death.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. But you seem to be missing the fact that this is a completely free vote and it is not Tory policy to reverse the ban, just to have a free vote. There is no whip for reversing it and a number of Tory MPs may either vote against repeal or simply abstain.

I hope my MP either votes against or abstains. I'd be very disappointed if he voted for repeal.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604

To support Mr Manson's article. Most Labour members are in London. They are more likely to support Cooper over Burnham.

But note that the Labour List readers survey of Shadow Cabinet ministers' performance consistently rated Burnham's performance in opposition some way ahead of all others including Cooper.

• Options

Sean_F said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. But you seem to be missing the fact that this is a completely free vote and it is not Tory policy to reverse the ban, just to have a free vote. There is no whip for reversing it and a number of Tory MPs may either vote against repeal or simply abstain.

I hope my MP either votes against or abstains. I'd be very disappointed if he voted for repeal.
    I'll be very angry if he doesn't vote for repeal. I'm very disappointed you think differently. We will have to have a conversation about it sometime.

I'm aware it's a free vote. I'd expect up to 20 Tories to vote against, and possibly a further 30 to abstain. The rest should (and rightly so) vote for repeal.
This discussion has been closed.