Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson, PB’s LAB insider, says Yvette, not Burnham

13»

Comments

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    kle4 said:

I am thoroughly baffled that the government would want a battle over repealing the Hunting Act, even if they are now pledged to allow a free vote on it. Like others I'd assumed it was completely ineffective and that hunts happened in any case, and it's an issue there will be Tory dissenters on, so why kick up a fuss on such a minor issue if you do not have to?

I agree with this. Our local hunt has carried on regardless and gone from strength to strength. Let the townies continue to feel smug and self righteous.

Back on topic, I think Cooper is a terrible communicator; Kendall or Creagh beat her hands down - that's assuming that Labour want to play the rather silly gender card.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    kle4 said:

I am thoroughly baffled that the government would want a battle over repealing the Hunting Act, even if they are now pledged to allow a free vote on it. Like others I'd assumed it was completely ineffective and that hunts happened in any case, and it's an issue there will be Tory dissenters on, so why kick up a fuss on such a minor issue if you do not have to?

Because it's an issue the Prime Minister personally feel's quite strongly about?

Given he has a majority and won't be up for re-election in 2020, if repeal of the hunting ban is something Cameron want's to do then he has earned the right to have a go at it.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Labour has the opportunity to select the first ever woman Prime Minister just at the time it is likely Hilary will be the new POTUS.If Hilary can handle Bill then Yvette can handle Ed.I liked Yvette's answer when asked who wears the trousers in your house."We both do" she said.

Yvette Cooper could be Labour's Hilary.

Key to Labour regaining support is adoption of federalism allowing separate policy formulation in different parts of the UK.SLAB needs a change of direction away from the Branch Office of London Labour.SLAB must never ever be Better Together ever again with the Tories.In any future indyref Labour has to fight separately from the Tories.
    UK Labour should organise and put up candidates in NI too.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,258
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

I agree with this. Our local hunt has carried on regardless and gone from strength to strength. Let the townies continue to feel smug and self righteous.

Back on topic, I think Cooper is a terrible communicator; Kendall or Creagh beat her hands down - that's assuming that Labour want to play the rather silly gender card.
    The hunting ban is terrible legislation that was implemented out of spite. As such, it should by rights be repealed.

However, a vote would use up a little of Cameron's precious capital, it will just be another thing for the left to obsess about 'nasty Tories'. As such, it might best be left alone.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    Mr. Pete, I refer you to the 1979 General Election ;)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    kle4 said:

The Tory leadership have long been under grassroots pressure to repeal the Act. A promise of a free vote is a pragmatic way to appease those who want a repeal without provoking a rebellion from those Tory MPs who would not vote for repeal (with one eye on their suburban electorate).

It's also another thing to keep the outraged left occupied with while Osborne proceeds with the central business of government unmolested.

Harman will be responding to Osborne's emergency budget...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

Labour has the opportunity to select the first ever woman Prime Minister.

Errm................
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,606
    Falconer? In Burnham camp? That's an interesting one. Owen Smith was being discussed in Newstatesman yesterday as an outsider to run, so seems he's made his mind up.

Lucrecia has just got rid of Chuka. Her next campaign task is still secret

Dugher will run Bunrham's campaignLord Falconer, Owen Smith and Luciana Berger joins his campaign team too

eh? oh - I read that as Lucrecia Borgia ! Whew.

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447

Problem is Rochdale, 'investment' has just become another name for spending. 'Investment' in jobs, 'investment' in skills etc.

What you propose is an honest choice, and i cant understand why politicans dont keep it that simple

For those of us in business "investment" means "investment". It means that I want to spend company money, I have to make a proposal showing the return on that investment and the other benefits we will gain for that investment.

Its spending. With payback. This preposterous debate about debt and deficit has now moved onto "overspending". I haven't seen any evidence that Labour economically overspent prior to the crash, not when debt to GDP fell. But politically its now become accepted - despite Cameron and Osborne in opposition pledging not only to match our "overspending" pound for pound but to go even further so that they could "share in the proceeds of [further] growth" through tax cuts on top.

It is a political failure on an epic scale to allow basic historical facts to be rewritten. It demonstrates how Labour had no narrative post 2010, just fiddling around the edges of the Tory narrative. It surely can't be that hard to do? Reframe the debate. Its not "we will cut slightly less hard than they will" its "here's our vision for society"
  • Options
    On hunting - Will it get through the house on a free vote ?

What will the SNP do ?

It could be the first test of any sort of EVEL...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Of course there is. We have had laws regulating animal cruelty for centuries. Are you saying they should all be abolished? That there is no libertarian argument against cockfighting, against animal torture, against animal sacrifices - that as far as animals are concerned we can't say a word? That's anarchy, not libertarian.

You are conflating practice with principle. It is certainly true that there have been laws regulating the use and disposal of animals for a very long time. The existence of those laws does not demonstrate that they were enacted pursuant to a libertarian or any other agenda, since we do not live in a libertarian utopia. It is gross hyperbole to argue that it would be anarchy if there were no laws regulating the use and disposal of animals. In any event, I am not advocating that. A man's animals ought to be protected by the law in the same way as his other personal property, no more, no less.
    It is not an authoritarian principle to view animals as more than property.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    edited May 2015

Labour has the opportunity to select the first ever woman Prime Minister just at the time it is likely Hilary will be the new POTUS.If Hilary can handle Bill then Yvette can handle Ed.I liked Yvette's answer when asked who wears the trousers in your house."We both do" she said.

Yvette Cooper could be Labour's Hilary.

Key to Labour regaining support is adoption of federalism allowing separate policy formulation in different parts of the UK.SLAB needs a change of direction away from the Branch Office of London Labour.SLAB must never ever be Better Together ever again with the Tories.In any future indyref Labour has to fight separately from the Tories.
    UK Labour should organise and put up candidates in NI too.

Congratulations on the most historically inaccurate post in the history of PB.

Which is some achievement when you consider Morris Dancer posts on a regular basis here :lol:
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Labour has the opportunity to select the first ever woman Prime Minister just at the time it is likely Hilary will be the new POTUS.

Hmm. I think you mean Labour has a chance to select their first woman party leader. #dult
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    @RochdalePioneers

"My frustration is that "One Nation" was the right approach. The battle was always how to bridge the alleged "middle class" (the Mail would INSIST I was middle class. I don't think anyone is) with our declining roots in the public sector and our core vote. One nation could have done that - whilst I am a loud critic of Blair its for what he turned into post 2003 not the New Labour project. We were an extremely effective radical government in the first term - rediscovering that radicalism was the need especially when the deregulated economic system had bust itself."

I agree, and while for 10 years I was New Labour, I left the party very disillusioned in 2004 (the combination of the Iraq war and Milburns NHS privatisations).

What puzzles me is that despite the above, you voiced opposition to Liz Kendall, not sure why. Is it that you oppose her yourself? Or is it that she will be too divisive within the party?

In some ways this contest does seem to have come a bit early for Kendall, but she is 43 and cannot wait forever. 48 is a perfectly respectable age for a PM.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, a man who considers the Queen of Bithynia a superior general to Hannibal is in no position to criticise the historical knowledge of anyone else.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243

Labour has the opportunity to select the first ever woman Prime Minister just at the time it is likely Hilary will be the new POTUS.If Hilary can handle Bill then Yvette can handle Ed.I liked Yvette's answer when asked who wears the trousers in your house."We both do" she said. Yvette Cooper could be Labour's Hilary. Key to Labour regaining support is adoption of federalism allowing separate policy formulation in different parts of the UK.SLAB needs a change of direction away from the Branch Office of London Labour.SLAB must never ever be Better Together ever again with the Tories.In any future indyref Labour has to fight separately from the Tories. UK Labour should organise and put up candidates in NI too.

Congratulations on the most historically inaccurate post in the history of PB.
    Which is some achievement when you consider Morris Dancer posts on a regular basis here :lol:
    Don't forget me.
    For once I will not snip the original, it is so wonderful.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336

Labour has the opportunity to select the first ever woman Prime Minister just at the time it is likely Hilary will be the new POTUS.

LOL....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited May 2015
    We used to call investment 'spending on purpose'.

I do hope that Labour can put together a decent vision for the country. It's not healthy for our politics to be in this state. I'm not an ideological Tory, and I don't want to feel as if I have no option but to vote Conservative, because their opposition is completely incoherent and policy-free.
  • Options
    @volcanopete
    "Yvette Cooper could be Labour's Hilary."

To paraphrase Hodges;

"he stood staring at his computer screen, just screaming and screaming, it was so bad his family thought he was having a heart attack"
  • Options
    It seems the SNP will abstain.

Could be a first SNP whip rebellion...
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

calum - Should Labour's London head office be dealing with "the Scotland ball"? Surely that is Scottish Labour and Murphy's job. I thought the problem with SLAB was that it was too much ran from London, so them taking their eye off should give Murphy a time to shine.

If Murphy can't shine, that speaks volumes.

Someone is going to have to stop the level of infighting and backstabbing about to engulf SLAB - and this disarray will happen regardless of whether Murphy clings on or not. 100 into 15 doesn't go. 100 career politicians battling for 15 list seats will get very ugly.

It is a potential Catch 22 for London. They either sit back and watch Scottish Labour dissolve into chaos or they interfere and the Branch Office claims go back front and centre. I'm not sure which is least damaging.
  • Options

I haven't seen any evidence that Labour economically overspent prior to the crash

Yes you have. Whether you accept that evidence or stick your head in the sand or refute it is up to you. But the evidence has been provided repeatedly.

Evidence 1: Labour ran a boomtime deficit for seven consecutive years prior to the crash.
    Evidence 2: Labour increased spending by 50% in real terms.

Accept that or not, but those are facts and that is evidence.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Have we done this weird story...

Ukip spy who infiltrated protest group 'tried to encourage abuse of Farage'

Ukip sent a spy to obtain “information from the inside” on an anti-Nigel Farage protest group, where campaigners say he tried to encourage activists to deface posters and heckle outside meetings.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/16/ukip-spy-who-infiltrated-protest-group-tried-to-encourage-abuse-of-farage
  • Options
    calum said:

calum - Should Labour's London head office be dealing with "the Scotland ball"? Surely that is Scottish Labour and Murphy's job. I thought the problem with SLAB was that it was too much ran from London, so them taking their eye off should give Murphy a time to shine.

I think Jim has already failed to shine when he suffered what must be one of the greatest ever political defeats, losing all but one seat, I think if he had at least held his own seat then that would have been something. As SLABs rules require the leader to be a serving parliamentarian his resignation should have been automatic.

Personally I would prefer for Jim to linger on and lead SLAB into a further defeat in May 2016, where they would likely lose at least half of their 37 seats at Holyrood, given Jims track record in Scotland he would likely add to the scale of SLABs defeat. The party is at risk of disintegrating as SLAB MSPs fight to save their skins, suffice to say Jim is now putting his career before party and country.
    Did Jim ever do anything else?
  • Options
    edited May 2015

snip

snip
    The only animal that is 'property' is a pet or a farm animal and we rightly have laws and our common humanity when taking responsibility for them.
    The life in the wild of a non husbanded or domesticated animal is one of unremitting desperation for survival and a cruel near starvation existence. As part of that they are selfish and uncaring about what they kill to stay alive. The term 'humanity' has no meaning in their existence. There is nothing more or less humane about fox hunting with hounds as opposed to killing by setting traps of one kind or another.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,087
    If the leadership contest seems lively, it's because it feels bloody lively!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Debbie Abrahams (Oldham East) comes out for Andy

Chris Bryant to back Yvette
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    edited May 2015
    GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

Because it's an issue the Prime Minister personally feel's quite strongly about?

Given he has a majority and won't be up for re-election in 2020, if repeal of the hunting ban is something Cameron want's to do then he has earned the right to have a go at it.

Well obviously he has a right to pursue anything he wants to pursue, it's a matter of if it is a good use of a finite amount of political capital; there's lots of things PMs want to do they don't do. His capital is pretty high right now so he should probably move on it fast if he wants to, but as to your point about him feeling strongly about it, perhaps he does, but not enough to make it like almost any other vote and whip it through it has to be noted.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    OblitusSumMe - Fox hunting. It will give an excuse to energise the left. I think the police have better things to do than look after the resulting protests (not least at the site of the Hunts themselves. In any event the act should be amended not repealed. Always assuming there is a majority to do anything in the first place.
    How amazing is it that we are talking about fox hunting for gawd's sake!
    Harman as acting LOTO would respond to the budget. Who is Shadow Chancellor? The sad clue is that he ran Browns campaign to be leader in 2007 and Ball's unsuccessful campaign in 2010. He is married to a former special advisor to Gordon Brown. Nothing like a break from the past is there?
  • Options
    Mr. EPG, talking about Labour or UKIP?

:p

Not sure many people have noticed the Lib Dem leadership contest.
  • Options

snip

snip
    The only animal that is 'property' is a pet or a farm animal and we rightly have laws and our common humanity when taking responsibility for them.
    The life in the wild of a non husbanded or domesticated animal is one of unremitting desperation for survival and a cruel near starvation existence. As part of that they are selfish and uncaring about what they kill to stay alive. The term 'humanity' has no meaning in their existence. There is nothing more or less humane about fox hunting with hounds as opposed to killing by setting traps of one kind or another.
    What about breeding pests in or encouraging their breeding in order for them to then be hunted? Is that less humane than setting traps?
  • Options

How amazing is it that we are talking about fox hunting for gawd's sake!

No kidding. What a clever feint from the Tories - people will get so worked up over the Hunting Act being debated again that they'll sell of the NHS wholesale or something. Well played, Cameron.

I presume the free vote on the Act was another thing that would have been dropped in any coalition talks? Although since it would not pass in such a coalition a situation, perhaps not.
  • Options

The UKIP one is good.

We will either see Farage disposed of in a coup, or stay on in paranoid autocratic isolation. I am not sure which I prefer.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

Well obviously he has a right to pursue anything he wants to pursue, it's a matter of if it is a good use of a finite amount of political capital; there's lots of things PMs want to do they don't do. His capital is pretty high right now so he should probably move on it fast if he wants to, but as to your point about him feeling strongly about it, perhaps he does, but not enough to make it like almost any other vote and whip it through it has to be noted.
    There is one issue that needs political capital spending on. English Votes for English Laws. Everything else is secondary and can wait.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    edited May 2015
    kle4 said:

I presume the free vote on the Act was another thing that would have been dropped in any coalition talks? Although since it would not pass in such a coalition a situation, perhaps not.

This situation reminds me of that 1992 Downing Street sketch where Tory cabinet have trashed 10 Downing Street and are sitting there saying, "Oh shit, we won!"

I guess the current strategy is to get all the stuff they expected to trade away to the LibDems voted down by their backbenchers early in the parliament so everyone will have forgotten about it by 2020.
  • Options

kle4 said:

This situation reminds me of that 1992 Downing Street sketch where the Tories are sitting around in 10 Downing Street that they've trashed saying, "Oh shit, we won!"

I guess the current strategy is to get all the stuff they expected to trade away to the LibDems voted down by their backbenchers early in the parliament so everyone will have forgotten about it by 2020.
    Yep. They seem keen on a retox strategy...
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, worth noting that the Conservatives will have known the Lib Dems aren't rubbish at negotiating, and they certain 'tradeable' policies might have been allowed by the Lib Dems specifically to cause the Conservatives damage. So I doubt there's anything too horrendous, because they couldn't guarantee negotiating away exactly what they wanted.
  • Options
    Can't the hunters be retrained to chase down badgers?

That way they can continue with their bloodlust while saving the population from the badger apocalypse, by far the most dangerous, concerning and ignored threat they face.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465
    Dair said:

Someone is going to have to stop the level of infighting and backstabbing about to engulf SLAB - and this disarray will happen regardless of whether Murphy clings on or not. 100 into 15 doesn't go. 100 career politicians battling for 15 list seats will get very ugly.

It is a potential Catch 22 for London. They either sit back and watch Scottish Labour dissolve into chaos or they interfere and the Branch Office claims go back front and centre. I'm not sure which is least damaging.
    But infighting is what SLab does because for decades, when SLab was dominant at local and then Scottish levels, infighting was how you got the prizes. It wasn't about beating the Tories, Lib Dems or SNP - that came more-or-less by default - it was about beating your colleagues. And that will be a habit and a culture that will be very hard to break, particularly now that the prizes are so much less.
  • Options
    Mr. Dair, or deer.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2015

Of course it is. Animal welfare legislation proceeds on the premise that the majority of the population have a right to impose their purely subjective moral views on the minority when the minority engage in an activity which causes no person any harm or damage. That is the same rationale as that which lay behind the now repealed prohibition on consenting sexual activity between adults of the same sex.

Consider the quite outrageously authoritarian provisions of the Protection of Badgers Act 1992. By section 3 of that Act, a person may not remove a verminous badger set from his own land, even if it is causing considerable damage to his crops or property. By section 4, a person may not have a live badger under his possession or control, no matter how hungry he is or how lucrative the badger may be if sold. Quite absurd. Then contrast the protection given to animals and humans. By section 4 of the Animal Welfare Act 2006, it is an offence for a person negligently to cause unnecessary suffering to an animal. Yet a person may intentionally use any force he likes against another person in his own home, if he irrationally believes that the force is used in his own self-defence and provided the force is not grossly disproportionate to his irrational perception (R v Williams (1984) 78 Cr App R 276 (CA); Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008, s. 76(5A)).
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    'As it happens Burnham has a decent record to talk about'

Anyone the slightest idea what that record is?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161

Mr. Tokyo, worth noting that the Conservatives will have known the Lib Dems aren't rubbish at negotiating, and they certain 'tradeable' policies might have been allowed by the Lib Dems specifically to cause the Conservatives damage. So I doubt there's anything too horrendous, because they couldn't guarantee negotiating away exactly what they wanted.

Nah, with negotiations you try to find positive-sum outcomes that work for both sides, so if jettisoning Tory policies designed for base-pleasing rather than actually doing was helpful to the Tories, they and the LibDems would have worked out a way to get it done.
  • Options

Dair said:

But infighting is what SLab does because for decades, when SLab was dominant at local and then Scottish levels, infighting was how you got the prizes. It wasn't about beating the Tories, Lib Dems or SNP - that came more-or-less by default - it was about beating your colleagues. And that will be a habit and a culture that will be very hard to break, particularly now that the prizes are so much less.
    With the exception of Monklands in 1994, it never got reported.

SLAB are now in the spotlight, they are being focused on like never before and the dirty linen will be visible to all. Every sectarian slur, ever sexist smear, every local split, they will be covered in depth and extensively. Can London really not step in when this is being covered not just locally but, possibly, nationally as well. Murphy's potential No-Confidence today is on the national news broadcasts and that's on a Saturday when the national news broadcasts are significantly shorter than other days.

Oh it's going to be fun.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    @volcanoepete

" Yevette Cooper could be Labour's Hilary"

Oh dear Lord ......... Tell me I didn't just see that posted.
  • Options
    Interesting article on form and changing the manager here that I ran into when on the football messageboard: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23724517

The question is whether Labour are just having a run of poor form so no change needed (Burnham, Cooper) or whether there is something fundamental that needs fixing (Kendall, ?Creagh).
  • Options
    john_zims said:

Probably something by a New Romantic.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447

I haven't seen any evidence that Labour economically overspent prior to the crash

Yes you have. Whether you accept that evidence or stick your head in the sand or refute it is up to you. But the evidence has been provided repeatedly.

Evidence 1: Labour ran a boomtime deficit for seven consecutive years prior to the crash.

Evidence 3 - debt as % of GDP dropped despite your other two points. The point about a booming economy is that you CAN spend more and have debt fall - growth outstrips spending.

I am amused as to how "a deficit" has become (a) a bad thing and (b) a Labour thing. Thatcher and Major governments ran bigger deficits for more years than Labour, yet deficits were apparently invented by Gordon Brown.

Again, I haven't seen evidence of an overspend. Investment that delivers needed infrastructure and drives economic growth is exactly what we need to be doing. That "investment" has become "deficit" has become "wrong" is a large part of the problem.

• Options

Evidence 3 - debt as % of GDP dropped despite your other two points. The point about a booming economy is that you CAN spend more and have debt fall - growth outstrips spending.

I am amused as to how "a deficit" has become (a) a bad thing and (b) a Labour thing. Thatcher and Major governments ran bigger deficits for more years than Labour, yet deficits were apparently invented by Gordon Brown.

Again, I haven't seen evidence of an overspend. Investment that delivers needed infrastructure and drives economic growth is exactly what we need to be doing. That "investment" has become "deficit" has become "wrong" is a large part of the problem.

Debt to GDP rose massively comparing like points in the economic cycle. That is the structural deficit Labour ran.

Frankly, you can ignore the evidence if you wish. That's your prerogative. But Labour will continue to get hammered in England if it does likewise.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Labour leadership contender Liz Kendall reveals her relationship with Inbetweeners star Greg Davies is over

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3084239/Labour-leadership-contender-Liz-Kendall-reveals-relationship-Inbetweeners-star-Greg-Davies-over.html

I seem to remember a couple of days ago people realised on her that Kendall was dating Davies...it seems not any more.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Has the once mighty and powerful Labour party really descended to Mascara boy..Time for the party to disband
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    At this stage the most important thing is that at least three of the four candidates get the nominations they need. The biggest disaster for Labour would be to not have Kendall or Creagh in the race in the first place. I hope at least a few MPs consider this when deciding who to nominate. A contest that involves just Cooper and Burnham would be an unmitigated disaster for Labour. Having one or both of the other two involved would at least mean the front runners having to answer some difficult questions.

But, as ever with Labour, bet on the comfort blanket. That basically seems to be what Henry is saying in his piece.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Rochdale Pioneers carefully forgets all the warnings to Brown from the IMF downwards starting in 2003 and continuing up to the crash with the immortal words "The UK is the worse positioned to withstand the oncoming storm"

. It's why Labour are unelectable and will remain so as long as they ignore the obvious.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,087
    edited May 2015

Ukip = The Wire in the sense of "come at the king, you best not miss"
    Labour = The Wire in the sense that it is full of characters it is hard to keep track, and even the important ones sometimes get killed off
    Lib Dems = Waiting for Godot
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Osborne...not Cameron..will strip Burnham out..
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Rochdale Pioneers carefully forgets all the warnings to Brown from the IMF downwards starting in 2003 and continuing up to the crash with the immortal words "The UK is the worse positioned to withstand the oncoming storm"

. It's why Labour are unelectable and will remain so as long.

john_zims said:

Probably something by a New Romantic.
    Grown Men Don’t Cry by Tim McGraw
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    EPG said:

Labour = The Wire in the sense that it is full of characters it is hard to keep track, and even the important ones sometimes get killed off
    Lib Dems - The Wire...Omar Little's Crew as there is only handful of them....and they keep getting killed off.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

Ferry Cross the Mersey - Gerry and the Pacemakers?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    edited May 2015

Interesting post from Rochdale Pioneers. As that rare bird on PB, a Labour party insider, he/ she seems to confirm my view that there is a strong desire to move away from anyone too closely associate with either Brown or Miliband. That should help my preferred candidate, Liz Kendall, but she has to avoid being pigeon-holed as 'on the right' or as 'Blairite'. Those labels are potentially fatal to her chances - and fwiw, I don't think they're accurate either.

Lord help us all if I'm a "Labour party insider"! I am an elected town councillor and a minor party functionary locally. BTW where I differ from many on this site is that I don't just talk about politics I get out there and do it (and having people say "I'm voting for you" when you knock on the door is very nice...!) - but I don't bet.

A starter for 10. Investment has become a dirty word associated with "subsidy" which in turn suggests "failure". This country is desperate for a massive investment into infrastructure - roads, railways, airports, housing, fibre optics, power generating capacity to name a few. The market doesn't want to step in and do so. Government can borrow money at near 0% interest rates AND investors worldwide are desperate for something solid to spend their money on. All these projects pay a good ROI both in the short term as the money is spent and in the long term as they make our economy stronger and more competitive. In previous generations we would have been investing in all of these things, but this generation won't and no politician wants to challenge the "investment is subsidy is failure" narrative. Why not?
    My apologies, Rochdale Pioneers. I simply meant someone who appears to know the Labour Party from the inside - and what you say confirms that. A problem with PB is that a lot of the comments on the Labour party leadership come from Tories and it's painfully obvious that they know nothing about how Labour party members and affiliates think.

I also agree with your point about investment, btw. It's why I strongly support projects such as Crossrail, HS2 and Heathrow expansion (coming soon, I hope).
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659

snip

snip
    Well there are two sides to it.

I kept quails and turkeys and keep bees. There are basic standards of husbandry required to enable them to survive healthily - food, dry conditions etc.. So humans have a duty of care.

But at the same time, if left unchecked they can - and often do - cause chaos -anyone fancy a swarm of bees under their floorboards? Foxes and rats for example are pests.. I don't see much support for banning pest controllers from exterminating rats.

It's all a matter of a balanced viewpoint. Unbalanced people who think that injuring humans because of their own beliefs are a menace and can have long term destructive effects. After all, the British water vole is under threat from mink. The mink were released from captivity by Animal Rights activists.

And grey squirrels are highly destructive of song birds and their young as are magpies... People who oppose culling either appear to be narrow minded .. err idealists - err probably not idealists..

I trap foxes and squirrels not because I enjoy it but because the excess numbers do untold damage to native birds and bumble bees. (Foxes destroy and eat bumble bee nests - not many idealists will tell you that).

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2015
    We are ahead of the game...in case Creagh reaches the ballot and some rivals will resurrect this verdict....we do it earlier...

from an old case Labour vs LD administration in Islington

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2006/jan/05/localgovernment.politics1

"In a 159-page ruling the tribunal was also outspoken in its criticism of former Labour councillor Mary Creagh, now MP for Wakefield, who made the initial complaint.

It described her as an "insensitive witness, lacking in balanced judgment and one who was prepared to make assumptions about honesty and integrity of others without any proper basis"."The ruling said: "The tribunal considers that her evidence was heavily influenced by her political motives.

She said today she "stood by" what she told the tribunal.

"I blew the whistle because I believed the Liberal Democrats were not meeting the standards we expect from people in public office. I invite people to look at my evidence and draw their own conclusions," Ms Creagh said."
  • Options
    Dair said:

Can't the hunters be retrained to chase down badgers?

That way they can continue with their bloodlust while saving the population from the badger apocalypse, by far the most dangerous, concerning and ignored threat they face.

What's your view on banning all private fishing on the basis of cruelty and allowing only commercial fishing where such activity is used to feed the nation?

No more "catch and throwback" in other words

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408
    BBC already made their mind up about Murphy (though headline was rapidly changed).

https://twitter.com/RosieMKane/status/599541354751008768
  • Options

Has there ever been a weaker Shadow Cabinet?

http://www.labour.org.uk/people/filter/c/shadow-cabinet

Good point.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Has there ever been a weaker Shadow Cabinet?

http://www.labour.org.uk/people/filter/c/shadow-cabinet

Good point.
    Tories were a combination of very piss poor and tainted by the past at one point in the not too dim and distant past.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, fundilymundily? Is this a term that ought to be familiar?

I'm surprised it took Murphy so long.

That's 3 gone. Or 4. Farage appears to have become Schrodinger's party leader.
  • Options
    Ugh #SaveJim
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, fundilymundily? Is this a term that ought to be familiar?

I'm surprised it took Murphy so long.

That's 3 gone. Or 4. Farage appears to have become Schrodinger's party leader.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/watch-tongue-tied-jim-murphy-struggle-5632803

He fundilyfundily must STAY #SaveJim
  • Options
    EPG said:

Makes sense. Apparently, Beckett is Clegg's favourite writer ...
  • Options
    Mr. Dair, cheers.

Serious question: was Murphy or Miliband more helpful to the SNP?
  • Options

Mr. Dair, cheers.

Better Together probably killed Labour but Murphy twisted the knife. Miliband was pretty much irrelevant, he won't have helped being a privileged London posh boy. But Murphy was such a bad decision.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Interesting post from Rochdale Pioneers. As that rare bird on PB, a Labour party insider, he/ she seems to confirm my view that there is a strong desire to move away from anyone too closely associate with either Brown or Miliband. That should help my preferred candidate, Liz Kendall, but she has to avoid being pigeon-holed as 'on the right' or as 'Blairite'. Those labels are potentially fatal to her chances - and fwiw, I don't think they're accurate either.

Lord help us all if I'm a "Labour party insider"! I am an elected town councillor and a minor party functionary locally. BTW where I differ from many on this site is that I don't just talk about politics I get out there and do it (and having people say "I'm voting for you" when you knock on the door is very nice...!) - but I don't bet.

A starter for 10. Investment has become a dirty word associated with "subsidy" which in turn suggests "failure". This country is desperate for a massive investment into infrastructure - roads, railways, airports, housing, fibre optics, power generating capacity to name a few. The market doesn't want to step in and do so. Government can borrow money at near 0% interest rates AND investors worldwide are desperate for something solid to spend their money on. All these projects pay a good ROI both in the short term as the money is spent and in the long term as they make our economy stronger and more competitive. In previous generations we would have been investing in all of these things, but this generation won't and no politician wants to challenge the "investment is subsidy is failure" narrative. Why not?
    A problem with PB is that a lot of the comments on the Labour party leadership come from Tories and it's painfully obvious that they know nothing about how Labour party members and affiliates think.
    Maybe. But the PB Tories told Labour it had picked a duff one with Ed.

Labour should listen to what we say. We are not without experience in picking a duff one as leader ourselves.

Nor without experience in dispatching them, once that was clear.

But very happy for Labour to continue to run in the opposite direction of what we suggest. Hur hur hur....
  • Options
    Rochdale Pioneer. ---- Spending must be sustainable. No matter who is in government. Spending and deficits are required in the recession end of the business cycle but in the upswing you need to see deficits fall and run surpluses. What you do not need to do is leave a £160 billion deficit to get rid of. Labour increased spending in real terms (common price levels) by 50% in 10 years. You need to grow up and realise that it is not a case of easy come easy go. In bald unadjusted terms spending was £341bn in 2000. In 2010 it was incredibly £673bn - thats nearly double! In 2015 it was £731bn - a 'mere' £58bn, a tiny fraction of Labour's spending increase. If we had carried on spending at the Labour rate spending would be £1 trillion.
    (ukpublicspendingdotcodotuk)
    You want to look at it another way - if labour over 10 years had increased spending at the rate Osborne has then total spending would've been some £460 billion in 2010 and £520bn now.
    Labour massively overspent when the economy did not need it and could not sustain it. I hope the above figures give some indication of the terribly difficult problem the incoming govt faced. This is contrasted with 1997 when Labour inherited spending which was under control and would deliver surpluses.
  • Options
    What Labour should do is find someone who repeatedly made comments about how inevitable their victory was, see who they think is the best leader, and pick someone as far removed as is possible. As I've found Kendall the most interesting of the candidates thus far, I'd therefore advise Labour to steer well clear of her, given my record on predicting success.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,157
    edited May 2015
    Dair said:

Mr. Dair, cheers.

Better Together probably killed Labour but Murphy twisted the knife. Miliband was pretty much irrelevant, he won't have helped being a privileged London posh boy. But Murphy was such a bad decision.
    Murphy's attempt to suck up to West Central Belt footie fans, [edit] and then hop to other bright ideas, is devastatingly critiqued here, for those who haven't seen it (with polling data which are of considerable interest for any discussion of football and politics in Scotland):

http://wingsoverscotland.com/how-the-north-was-lost/

• Options
    Sky showing live press conference with Jim Murphy soon.
    #SaveJim
  • Options
    edited May 2015

A problem with PB is that a lot of the comments on the Labour party leadership come from Tories and it's painfully obvious that they know nothing about how Labour party members and affiliates think.
    Maybe. But the PB Tories told Labour it had picked a duff one with Ed.

Labour should listen to what we say. We are not without experience in picking a duff one as leader ourselves.

Nor without experience in dispatching them, once that was clear.

But very happy for Labour to continue to run in the opposite direction of what we suggest. Hur hur hur....
    So am I, if they're suggesting Burnham or Cooper.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 3m3 minutes ago
    .@MaryCreaghMP :"Venture capitalists have been a dirty word in our party"

2 words not one, but some seem to be very, very keen to ditch Ed Stone and his move to the left. If Labour had got in, the in-fighting at Cabinet level might have been a joy to behold.
  • Options
    Burnham making references to aspiration via subsidies for house purchase.
  • Options
    Dr. Spyn, if they want to bury the Ed Stone they'll need a bloody large hole.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 3m3 minutes ago
    .@MaryCreaghMP :"Venture capitalists have been a dirty word in our party"

Venture capitalists have been a dirty word in our party...just like Thomas the Tank Engine?
  • Options
    I cannot be the only one hoping there is a parliamentary candidate called Ed Stone at some point in the near future.
  • Options

Dr. Spyn, if they want to bury the Ed Stone they'll need a bloody large hole.

Afternoon, Mr D. No need. Fire, buckets of cold water, smaller holes needed. They arranged those things well in Wiltshire.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b7/Stukeley_fire_at_Avebury.JPG
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    @Morris_Dancer I noticed that Guido was linking to a 3D print of The Ed Stone as a prize in the caption competition. Perhaps the Labour leadership contenders might be asked about what they intend to do with it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/11609988/Labours-Ed-Stone-found-hidden-at-an-industrial-estate-called-Westminster.html
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I cannot be the only one hoping there is a parliamentary candidate called Ed Stone at some point in the near future.

Has anyone mentioned there is a King Edward Monument? With a rather appropriate inscription on the stone at the foot, actually:

http://www.visitcumbria.com/car/king-edward-memorial/
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241

malcolmg said:

Turd's cannot be polished
    Thus speaks living proof...
    I see the cockroaches are still with us, back under your rock cretin where you belong.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241

Cooper would just provide an open goal for the Tory Press, who will constantly imply that Ed2 is pulling her strings. Please no.
    Burnham would be a bit better, but also comes with baggage. I'm not sure Creagh is really leadership material. Kendall is the one I quite like the look of. Has little baggage and a libertarian streak that appeals to me. A female leader opposite will be a real challenge for Dave and his 'woman problem'.

Cameron does not have a 'woman problem'. Lets hope Labour keep going with that one. I think dealing with Cooper would be child's play considering all the practice Cameron will be getting with Sturgeon. (I hope that comes across right!). To be frank, I think Sturgeon and her hectoring manner is rather queering the pitch for female politicians.

Yes jessie wierdo's like you are scared of woman who can speak
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, that's unfair. Edward I was a competent king who enjoyed considerable success and had a strong reign.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Carnyx said:

Dair said:

Mr. Dair, cheers.

Murphy's attempt to suck up to West Central Belt footie fans, [edit] and then hop to other bright ideas, is devastatingly critiqued here, for those who haven't seen it (with polling data which are of considerable interest for any discussion of football and politics in Scotland):

http://wingsoverscotland.com/how-the-north-was-lost/

I think Jim Murphy was the worst possible candidate, he was the MSM/Westminster candidate, they'd been better off leaving Sanwar in place. I think once he brought on McTirnen and McDougall SLABs fate was sealed as these guys got to work BT style. Even more sadly his election as leader was in part likely due to Tory activists joining SLAB.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    malcolmg said:

Cooper would just provide an open goal for the Tory Press, who will constantly imply that Ed2 is pulling her strings. Please no.
    Burnham would be a bit better, but also comes with baggage. I'm not sure Creagh is really leadership material. Kendall is the one I quite like the look of. Has little baggage and a libertarian streak that appeals to me. A female leader opposite will be a real challenge for Dave and his 'woman problem'.

Cameron does not have a 'woman problem'. Lets hope Labour keep going with that one. I think dealing with Cooper would be child's play considering all the practice Cameron will be getting with Sturgeon. (I hope that comes across right!). To be frank, I think Sturgeon and her hectoring manner is rather queering the pitch for female politicians.
    Yes jessie wierdo's like you are scared of woman who can speak
    Thanks for rising to the bait.
    ''The former "Iron Lady" of British politics remains a heroine to many Tories on the right. They look back on her glory days in the 1980s with reverential nostalgia, but the party is split over her continued relevance.
    "She's a very alienating figure for middle-of-the-road voters because she comes across as shrill and strident and bossy and hectoring," Harris said. "She sounds like a figure from another age.'' ''
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001-08-26/news/0108260415_1_william-hague-british-politics-margaret-thatcher
    Typical Leftie 'jessie wierdos'.
  • Options
    Bizarre reports from the Scottish Labour meeting.

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/599555935724511233
  • Options
    Jim Murphy left without doing the press conference set up for him.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

http://www.space.com/22770-voyager-1-interstellar-space-ed-stone-interview.html
This discussion has been closed.