Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nick Clegg’s next career more should be to run for Mayor of

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nick Clegg’s next career more should be to run for Mayor of London

Away from the LAB leadership there’s been a bit of a buzz about today about Nick Clegg’s future with the extraordinary suggestion that he should be his party’s candidate for Mayor of London in the election next May.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    Douglas Carswell in the Times

Farage needs to take a break from Ukip

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/article4441822.ece
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Clegg needs a good reason for resigning his seat so he doesn't have to spend the next five years doing nothing much in the Commons, and running for Mayor of London would be a good one.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,979
    I guess that's one way to see if the LDs could do worse in the next Mayoral elections than last time.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Will Clegg retain his deposit?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Clegg needs a good reason for resigning his seat so he doesn't have to spend the next five years doing nothing much in the Commons.

He does, but he doesn't want one so soon I would have thought, when the LDs would almost certainly just lose Hallam. Better to wait a few years then get some EU job or something I'd have thought.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845
    London, no, but if Sheffield becomes one of these new "City Regions", maybe.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    kle4 said:

He does, but he doesn't want one so soon I would have thought, when the LDs would almost certainly just lose Hallam. Better to wait a few years then get some EU job or something I'd have thought.

I'm sure Cameron will appoint him EU commissioner some time in the future.
  • Options

Again the question will be if he can retain his deposit.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

You've got to be joking - he's the man that mobilised a 35% vote for Labour in Hallam. He has zero chance of becoming the mayor of Sheffield.
  • Options

Douglas Carswell in the Times

Farage needs to take a break from Ukip

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/article4441822.ece

A long vacation perhaps?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    From Deputy Prime Minister to Transport Commissioner for London that would be extraordinary!

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    I see that Alexander, Baker, Cable, Hughes and Laws have turned down the offer of peerages from Nick Clegg in the Dissolution Honours List. I believe some of them think they have a chance of being returned to Parliament at the next GE. On topic Nick Clegg should devote himself to serving the people of Sheffield Hallam for the next 5 years.
  • Options
    Is Dave going to give Nick a peerage for services to the Conservatives :D ?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2015
    O/T:

Boston Bomber gets the death penalty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32757790
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

I'm sure Cameron will appoint him EU commissioner some time in the future.
    Can't see that happening. Maybe back when the UK got two commissioners that was an option. But not now, we only get one slot and Cameron needs to appoint a Tory.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    john_zims said:

From Deputy Prime Minister to Transport Commissioner for London that would be extraordinary!

That's too high of a job title for a man of such high esteem and reputation.
    Ambassador to Antarctica will be a more deserved role, or mop cleaner of the House of Lords, or send him to Rockall.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    That's one way of ensuring that the Tory candidate wins the Mayoral election. Having Clegg as the Lib Dem candidate would make it a bitter fight between Labour and Lib Dems to the extent of greatly reducing second preferences to each other.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,335
    Like Mike I have a good bet on Khan. I think he'll take some beating but I'd be grateful for the views of other PBers, especially those without a vested interest.

Jowell would not get my vote but I can see she is a strong candidate. I can't see anybody obvious on the Conservative side. Coe would definitely be in with a chance but if he wins the Presidency of the IAF this summer he will be out of contention. Zac Goldsmith is a possible, but does it interest him?

Clegg wouldn't appeal to London Labourites so I can't be tempted, even at 100/1. If there is a serious LD challenger it would be Simon Hughes, who is widely respected and doesn't carry Clegg's baggage.

Any other suggestions?
  • Options
    slade said:

I see that Alexander, Baker, Cable, Hughes and Laws have turned down the offer of peerages from Nick Clegg in the Dissolution Honours List. I believe some of them think they have a chance of being returned to Parliament at the next GE. On topic Nick Clegg should devote himself to serving the people of Sheffield Hallam for the next 5 years.

Or the other explanation is that they hate his guts so much they would literally prefer to bite his hand rather that take a peerage from him.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,320
    Carswell and his acolytes are undoubtedly planning a coup against Nigel. Farage is adored by the vast majority of his party, whereas Carswell's following will be amongst a small band of pseudo-intellectuals. Farage needs to crush Carswell like a gnat. Expel him, saying something like 'I should never have trusted an obvious turncoat like him to begin with.' It will demonstrate that Farage has an inner steel and is beholden to no mortal man.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    OGH has got his mojo back after a barren spell.Brilliant tip.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,993

Carswell and his acolytes are undoubtedly planning a coup against Nigel. Farage is adored by the vast majority of his party, whereas Carswell's following will be amongst a small band of pseudo-intellectuals. Farage needs to crush Carswell like a gnat. Expel him, saying something like 'I should never have trusted an obvious turncoat like him to begin with.' It will demonstrate that Farage has an inner steel and is beholden to no mortal man.

It will also mean that members like me will leave at the same time. A shame since I have been a member since almost the start of UKIP.
  • Options

That's one way of ensuring that the Tory candidate wins the Mayoral election. Having Clegg as the Lib Dem candidate would make it a bitter fight between Labour and Lib Dems to the extent of greatly reducing second preferences to each other.

I don't think there will be many first preference LD voters to start with, they can easily score less than 5% even without Clegg as the candidate, with Clegg it will be a competition to see how close the LD get to 0%.

And really if your first preference is Nick Clegg would your second preference be Labour?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222

Like Mike I have a good bet on Khan. I think he'll take some beating but I'd be grateful for the views of other PBers, especially those without a vested interest.

Jowell would not get my vote but I can see she is a strong candidate. I can't see anybody obvious on the Conservative side. Coe would definitely be in with a chance but if he wins the Presidency of the IAF this summer he will be out of contention. Zac Goldsmith is a possible, but does it interest him?

Clegg wouldn't appeal to London Labourites so I can't be tempted, even at 100/1. If there is a serious LD challenger it would be Simon Hughes, who is widely respected and doesn't carry Clegg's baggage.

Any other suggestions?

Jowell would get my vote over Khan any day of the week. A good Lib Dem would be an excellent choice - but I tend to be biased towards them.

I don't see Clegg leaving Sheffield because of the risk of losing the seat and then not winning London.

Any Tory needs not to be an obvious Tory. Any successful candidate needs to have that pull factor to other parties. Can't think who at the moment, though.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Beating Brian Paddick's low bar? Perhaps then Clegg could go on I'm A Celebrity and show his bottom a lot.
    kle4 said:

I guess that's one way to see if the LDs could do worse in the next Mayoral elections than last time.

• Options
    Plato said:

Beating Brian Paddick's low bar? Perhaps then Clegg could go on I'm A Celebrity and show his bottom a lot.

It didn't do George Galloway much harm.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    OT Sounds of the 80s is on BBC4 now - and it's intercut with that brilliant Pop Quiz spoof from Not The 8 O'Clock News. Ghryff is Mike Read as compare. And Pete Murray/David Jacobs too!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    I'm going to make a bold prediction which you can laugh at next week.

This time next week either Nigel Farage won't be UKIP leader or Douglas Carswell won't be in UKIP.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Personally I don't think there is any way back for Clegg politically, though his approval ratings did pick up a bit from their nadir. If he were going to make some sort of a comeback I also think it would have to involve a bit more time than exists before the Mayoral election next year.

What would it take for Clegg to regain respect in the public eye?
  • Options
    Barring some divisive split in the Labour vote it's surely hard to see how they could lose - a credible Tory with broad enough appeal has not appeared to date, and it's hard to see where one would come from. Presumably the LDs will just be keen not to finish behind the Greens again.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    I know everyone hates the Lib Dems now but I would rather have them run London than Labour, given the mess Labour is currently in, and especially given the state the London Labour party is in. It is far too infected with Livingstone-itis. It's not what London needs.

Simon Hughes would be a good choice, if he'd do it. His "liberalism will never die" speech when he lost his seat was rather moving, I thought.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    He'll lose.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Barring some divisive split in the Labour vote it's surely hard to see how they could lose - a credible Tory with broad enough appeal has not appeared to date, and it's hard to see where one would come from. Presumably the LDs will just be keen not to finish behind the Greens again.

Mayoral contests are very personality driven - Goldsmith or Coe could win it for the Tories.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,204

It will also mean that members like me will leave at the same time. A shame since I have been a member since almost the start of UKIP.
    Whilst I can understand why you might not be happy with Farage staying on, I can't get away from the fact that Carswell does look a little bit like a jonny-come-lately.

If the referendum is to be next year I think Farage deserves to be leader of Ukip up to then at the very least.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Another non ukip thread hijacked by ukip bashers.
  • Options

Personally I don't think there is any way back for Clegg politically, though his approval ratings did pick up a bit from their nadir. If he were going to make some sort of a comeback I also think it would have to involve a bit more time than exists before the Mayoral election next year.

Nothing. Those that despise him will never be persuaded to do otherwise, and those that express respect for him (which is out there), do so in the sense of delivering a eulogy and in any case won't increase in number particularly as for the sake of the LDs he will surely be keeping his head down from doing anything that might earn respect (because it more likely will just harm whatever he is wanting to support).
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Coming tomorrow morning Henry G Manson's analysis and top tip for the LAB leadership

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Mayoral contests are very personality driven - Goldsmith or Coe could win it for the Tories.
    I thought Coe had ruled out a bid?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    This is one of the most bizarre threads on PB.

This man has almost single handedly destroyed his party. And yet somehow the LDs fail to get how unpopular he is.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

To be fair most of the kipper bashing going on is from other kippers! It would be a shame not to join in.

I think Nigel has his anti-arcraft gun primed and ready...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

I thought Coe had ruled out a bid?
    If he doesn't beat Bubka he may reconsider I think.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Pulpstar said:

"Lord Sebastian Coe - the man for whom London was the second choice, asking to be your first choice"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Yes, I agree, Pulpstar.

Coe could definitely win it but I am not sure he'd run even if he fails with the IAF bid (for which I think he is slight favorite over Bubka.)

No idea if Goldsmith is interested. Any hint from inside the Tory camp?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Jonathan said:

This man has almost single handedly destroyed his party. And yet somehow the LDs fail to get how unpopular he is.

It's worse than that, they had a huge party last night celebrating their gigantic crushing:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sirajdatoo/please-enjoy-this-picture-of-nick-clegg-dancing-to-5ive

Perhaps someone drunk from the party is the source of this speculation of Clegg running for Mayor.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Yes, I agree, Pulpstar.

Coe could definitely win it but I am not sure he'd run even if he fails with the IAF bid (for which I think he is slight favorite over Bubka.)

No idea if Goldsmith is interested. Any hint from inside the Tory camp?
    I'm on him at 22s :D

One candidate I haven't put a penny on - Diane Abbott.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Jonathan said:

The bet is actually more nuanced. It is the party of the next mayor, so covers any LD candidate: Clegg, Cable, Hughes, Nawaz, Davey etc. There are a good number of possible candidates that could do well on a personal vote.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311

Coming tomorrow morning Henry G Manson's analysis and top tip for the LAB leadership

Just for the record he tipped Andy Burnham on here a couple of years ago - when he was 20-1.

Or should I say he was 20-1 by the time I got on - he may even have been a bit higher when originally tipped. I think several people on here now have that bet.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

"Lord Sebastian Coe - the man for whom London was the second choice, asking to be your first choice"
    That wouldn't be a fair criticism and I don't think it would bother Londoners. The IAF is obviously what he craves and why not?

All Londoners would be bothered about is whether he would do a decent job, and I think the answer to that is yes. But would he want it?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    No. Just no.

• Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525

It didn't do George Galloway much harm.

Speaking if Galloway, is there any chance he runs for mayor? If so he must be likely to take votes away from who ever the Labour candidate is.
    Although one assumes that the 2nd preferences would still go for Labour in the main if the voters make one.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Jonathan said:

The bet is actually more nuanced. It is the party of the next mayor, so covers any LD candidate: Clegg, Cable, Hughes, Nawaz, Davey etc. There are a good number of possible candidates that could do well on a personal vote.
    I think the Lib Dem brand is so damaged right now they might do better as an independent - perhaps Nawaz...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    tlg86 said:

Whilst I can understand why you might not be happy with Farage staying on, I can't get away from the fact that Carswell does look a little bit like a jonny-come-lately.

If the referendum is to be next year I think Farage deserves to be leader of Ukip up to then at the very least.
    This is very reminiscent of the Tories 1997-2003. The clash of impressive egos.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

That wouldn't be a fair criticism and I don't think it would bother Londoners...All Londoners would be bothered about is whether he would do a decent job, and I think the answer to that is yes.
    You mean Londoners actually vote onlyfor reasonable reasons and don't respond to unfair criticisms? They really are different from voters everywhere else.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,003

Any other suggestions?

Hughes would be a good candidate, though I agree (as an ex-Londoner) that Khan appears to be the man to beat at this stage. Seb Coe is superficially appealing, but does he actually have the appetite for it?

There's something a bit featherweight about Goldsmith - who I quite like - that just doesn't sit well with the office. Mayors should be self-possessed bruisers.

I find mayoral contests fascinating (by which I mean real ones in real cities, not the nonsensical gimmicky ones - see Tower Hamlets, Doncaster et cetera ad nauseam). I like that tribalism takes a tiny step back and there's a real look at the character of the candidates, which sees candidates from right wing parties winning in left wing cities (in London & NYC, anyway).

Slightly off-topic but while, as an adopted Manc, I welcome the Greater Manchester Mayor idea I'm far from thrilled about the likely candidates at this stage. Labour Machine.

On-topic, as others have said, Clegg should concentrate on serving and representing his constituents, and keep a low profile as ex-leaders should.
  • Options
    Who is Nawaz? I'm drawing a complete blank.
    Pulpstar said:

I think the Lib Dem brand is so damaged right now they might do better as an independent - perhaps Nawaz...

• Options
    Clegg vs Galloway would be utterly hilarious, Khan and Brady or whoever would laugh their socks off.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    The one result from the General Election I don't understand is Cambridge. How did a long time loser Trade Union candidate like Zeichner increase his vote by 12% and beat a research scientist from the Cavendish with a record everyone seemed to think was exceptional?? Does anyone have any explanation?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Saltire said:

Speaking if Galloway, is there any chance he runs for mayor? If so he must be likely to take votes away from who ever the Labour candidate is.
    Although one assumes that the 2nd preferences would still go for Labour in the main if the voters make one

I'd heard the rumour was he wouldn't run for mayor of London if Labour gave him an easy time in Bradford, so I guess that could be back on. He could remind everyone about how much he supports Luftur Rahman. Depressingly, it might win him a few votes.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

This is very reminiscent of the Tories 1997-2003. The clash of impressive egos.
    I think it's more 1990. I wouldn't mind if Farage went, but no way is Carswell taking over!
  • Options
    Plato said:

Pulpstar said:

Maajid Nawaz, candidate in what was a three way marginal in Hampstead (obviously in the current climate he as a LD did terribly). Former extremist and founder of Quilliam foundation.
  • Options

Some suggestions:
    Running an animal hospital that saves thousands of kittens.
    Become a priest like Jeb Magruder.

After a record breaking catastrophic run in public life, he needs to embrace the fact that he's rubbish at it and move to another job sector that has a really high moral reputation and he's actually good at it.
  • Options
    Oh him!

That'd be interesting. Didn't know he was a PPC passim.
    kle4 said:

Plato said:

Pulpstar said:

Maajid Nawaz, candidate in what was a three way marginal in Hampstead (obviously in the current climate he as a LD did terribly). Former extremist and founder of Quilliam foundation.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Did Carswell defect in order to "screw" Farage?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I don't understand this concept of Farage saying to Carswell etc "stay or go" while people are briefing against Farage?

Does UKIP not have some form of "No Confidence" procedure to remove a leader or trigger a ballot?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited May 2015
    Clegg running is an excellent suggestion OGH. I do hope he does run. And good luck to you. Will this be another Obama bet?

As for others no doubt, I find that this new nesting problem interferes with my skimming.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,003
    slade said:

The one result from the General Election I don't understand is Cambridge. How did a long time loser Trade Union candidate like Zeichner increase his vote by 12% and beat a research scientist from the Cavendish with a record everyone seemed to think was exceptional?? Does anyone have any explanation?

I'm guessing students.

• Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Umm...no.

He should stay out of the public eye.

Maybe he can do a Portillo - I was quite shocked to find out he wasn't exactly the most popular guy in the 90s. But he's managed to reinvent himself with a successful TV career.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Chuka in a really bad place say friends...front page of most of tomorrow's papers won't help.

Won't be long before The Guardian canonises him.
  • Options
    If Carswell were to choose to become Independent, his own rationale would suggest he would need to provoke yet another by-election in Clacton (he could argue that was not necessary in some ways, perhaps quite reasonably, but it would lack the moral certainty of what he originally did). But if he were expelled from the party, presumably that would not apply, as he would say he is still serving his constituents in the fashion he said he would, even if certain party HQ people want him out for other reasons.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Did Carswell defect in order to "screw" Farage?

In Biblical terms Farage is to UKIP what Moses was for the Jews, and Carswell is Joshua.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    slade said:

The "personal vote" myth got exploded. The left of Cambridge wanted to sure as hell they didn't elect a candidate that might jump into bed with the Conservatives. See Twickenham, Surbiton for examples on the other side. Your rosette needs to have some degree of popular support before personal factors kick in and allow you to hold the seat.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    dr_spyn said:

Chuka in a really bad place say friends.

Did he never leave Swindon?

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989

dr_spyn said:

:D channeling your inner Dave Lister, I see!
  • Options
    Interesting stuff from Liz. She probably won't win, but she's at least making Labour think about these issues.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/15/liz-kendall-labour-must-back-europe-referendum-and-embrace-business
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Okay, so I go away for a couple of hours and nothing changes with UKIP still hitting seven bells of shhh out of each other. They really need to do this in private, between Farage and Carswell they are now negatively impacting the referendum campaign they will be trying to win in a couple of years' time.

On topic, there has to be some value in any LD at 100/1. There's a good chance of a spoiler candidate like Galloway that could see someone unlike come through the middle, especially if the last two are not what people expected with the AV-style voting system.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I think you will find that UKIP have brought this on themselves.
  • Options
    Bit of an unfortunate page layout!

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/599309027521224704
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    tlg86 said:

Interesting stuff from Liz. She probably won't win, but she's at least making Labour think about these issues.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/15/liz-kendall-labour-must-back-europe-referendum-and-embrace-business

Why doesn't she just join the Tories and be have with it?

• Options

I don't understand this concept of Farage saying to Carswell etc "stay or go" while people are briefing against Farage?

Does UKIP not have some form of "No Confidence" procedure to remove a leader or trigger a ballot?

http://www.ukip.org/the_constitution

6.23.1 A motion of no confidence in the Party Leader may be proposed before the NEC. In order for it to pass, no less than nine members of the NEC shall vote in favour of the motion. The Party Chairman shall have a casting vote in the normal way.

6.23.4 In the event of a motion of no confidence in the Party Leader being passed by the NEC, the Party Secretary shall call an EGM of members of the Party, such EGM to be held within 28 days of the passing of the motion. The NEC may from time to time make Rules as to the conduct of such an EGM. The EGM shall have as its only business a motion to endorse or to reject the vote of no confidence in the Leader by the NEC.

6.24 In the event that:

a) the EGM convened under Article 6.23.6 rejects the vote of no confidence in the Party Leader; or
    b) the Party Leader stands for and is re-elected as Party Leader at an election following a vote of no confidence in him by the NEC,

elections shall be held in respect of each of the elected seats on the NEC, with the result being declared no more than three months from the date of the refusal of the EGM to endorse the NEC's vote of no confidence or the date of Party Leader's re-election as the case may be. Until such time as those elections are held the NEC elected members shall remain in office until their successors are elected.

In summary, UKIP's NEC can oust Farage if they have 9 votes, however that ousting will then have to be approved by the members in an Extraordinary General Meeting, if Farage survives it then the NEC members lose their jobs and are replaced by the members.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Unfair - the good thing about Swindon is that as its on the motorway it is very easy to leave, and leave quickly.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Jonathan said:

He put his country above his party.

Labour might try it sometime.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

She is looking more and more like a credible centrist candidate, which probably means she finishes last when the electorate is dominated by the unions.

Any chance we see Chuka on the front pages tonight, or will we have to wait another 24 hours?
  • Options
    @Ghedebrav

Thanks for your thoughts.

Manchester should note that the sure way to lose a Mayoral election is to put up a 'machine' candidate.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

That wouldn't be a fair criticism and I don't think it would bother Londoners...All Londoners would be bothered about is whether he would do a decent job, and I think the answer to that is yes.
    You mean Londoners actually vote onlyfor reasonable reasons and don't respond to unfair criticisms? They really are different from voters everywhere else.
    Ken and Boris have both been pretty good Mayors.

Londoners 2 Cynics 0.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:

Unfair - the good thing about Swindon is that as its on the motorway it is very easy to leave, and leave quickly.
    Let's hope he didn't end up in Slough mind.

• Options
    Plato said:
    That's it?
    Was the other option for the Times frontpage "Friends say Chuka was a naughty boy"?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Matt goes with Chuka
    http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03306/160515-MATT-web_3306290a.jpg

Does that Times article actually say anything, or is it that a friend said he got upset by an undefined something?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I find a lot more people willing to grand Clegg respect now that the LDs are so diminished - I guess as they are no longer threat, people feel a) a bit sorry for him (in some cases) and b) more inclined to take a less personal view and consider if there were positives in what he did, even if it turned out horrible.

Personally I like the man, but he's as toxic a figure as there exists and the only reason he won't have quit immediately is so the LDs don't lose 12.5% of their parliamentary party. Write a book in the future, 'Tough Choices: The Nick Clegg Story' or something, and in 10-15 years the wider public might reconsider their impression.

But I suspect not - just look at how rabid some people can get about Thatcher even now, with competing hyperbolistic interpretations both of which cannot be correct, rather than any kind of reasoned consideration (which might or might not fall more to one side or the other). With strong emotions these things get fixed.
  • Options
    Such a move would make no sense at all. Clegg is a charlatan whose arrogance and sanctimony has been rejected time and time again by the voters. He would do well to retire quietly. It is unlikely he will still be alive when his party next holds office. After all, he was only three when the first Viscount Thurso died.
  • Options
    General query - if you had a ballot paper with an X in a box, but with the candidate's name crossed out (perhaps replaced with another name), would you consider that a valid vote? Had about half a dozen like that appear before me like that on the night of the count.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Jonathan said:

He put his country above his party.

Labour might try it sometime.

Floater- Clegg put his country first, allegedly. But had a nice job as Deputy PM for 5 years as some kind of solace. And when his party got hammered time and time and time again in elections, he never really thought he could possibly be a drag on the parties fortunes and walk.

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Plato said:
    It is lucky he has a girlfriend/girl friend to be there for him at this clearly very difficult time.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Ken and Boris have both been pretty good Mayors.

Londoners 2 Cynics 0.
    I'll take your word for it. Being a small town lad, the life and government of the big city is a mystery to me.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tlg86 said:

Liz looks like she's attempting to appeal to the centre ground to me, Labour's lack of connecting with any sort of business in the pre-election period cost them alot of credibility.

If Labour want a decade and a half in opposition, they'll go with Burnham,
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Matt goes with Chuka
    http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03306/160515-MATT-web_3306290a.jpg

Does that Times article actually say anything, or is it that a friend said he got upset by an undefined something?

Marf's effort was less funny, but nearer the mark.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2015
    tyson said:

tlg86 said:

Dr Palmer could have done without your presence in Nottingham last week. Your daft arrogance must have cost him a quiver full of votes.

• Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    There's more chance of Steve Bruce being the next manager of Real Madrid than Clegg being next Mayor of London.
  • Options
    tyson said:

kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:

Let's hope he didn't end up in Slough mind.
    The M4 Corridor contains many traps and pitfalls for the unwary, 'tis true.
This discussion has been closed.