Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What went wrong with the polling? More starts to emerge but

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What went wrong with the polling? More starts to emerge but few answers

In this News Statesman article James Morris, from Labour’s US-based pollster GQR, explain how its approach was different and is likely to produce far fewer don’t knows which, it is argued, add to accuracy. He also notes that I was one of those interviewed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2015
    Hmm. My gut feeling 2 years out was right then.

And the polls were wrong.

As for compouter2, anyone seen him/her recently?

Anyone remember wumper?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I think there's a danger of over analysing the situation here, in the booths people had a vision of Miliband and Sturgeon and instinctively, if reluctantly, voted Conservative, despite what they'd told friends, polls and canvassers.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    RodCrosby said:

Hmm. My gut feeling 2 years out was right then.

And the polls were wrong.

As for compouter2, anyone seen him/her recently?

Anyone remember wumper?

compouter2 came back a day or so afterwards, so kudos to them. No sign of IOS though... titter.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    Given that Survation were the only pollster to get the right of centre vote share correct (c.50%), I'm inclined to think there was a very late swing from UKIP to Conservative. They had the Conservatives on 31-34%, and UKIP on 16-18% throughout the campaign. That swing cost UKIP Boston, Thurrock, and Thanet South, and delivered a string of marginal seats to the Conservatives.

And, congratulations Rod, on getting it right.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,357
    This is a really interesting issue which has practical implications going forward. I think most pollsters would be very nervous of asking about the country and various issues before asking about voting intention because the framing of the questions would lead to at least accusations and possibly the reality of bias and leading in the traditional Yes Minister style.

On the other hand if you accept that the majority of the population doesn't really think about the issues until asked then you ask them to make a choice of support in a void. What the election campaign does is create a context when they are encouraged to reach views which then determine that choice. If the pollster can do that accurately their answers are more likely to be accurate too.

If this analysis is right it is not really a late swing as such, more a crystallisation of the inchoate and underlying thinking as decision time approaches that determines how people vote. To be more specific when asked who they are inclined to vote for they might say Labour because their default position is that they care and are nice. When they consider in a bit more detail who has the correct policies that are going to work in the real world they vote Conservative.

Is it really practical or possible for pollsters to force that choice at an earlier stage? I suspect not. It is the actual decision that is the driver to the choice they ultimately make.

(that's enough sociology for one morning-ed)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    DavidL said:

This is a really interesting issue which has practical implications going forward. I think most pollsters would be very nervous of asking about the country and various issues before asking about voting intention because the framing of the questions would lead to at least accusations and possibly the reality of bias and leading in the traditional Yes Minister style.

On the other hand if you accept that the majority of the population doesn't really think about the issues until asked then you ask them to make a choice of support in a void. What the election campaign does is create a context when they are encouraged to reach views which then determine that choice. If the pollster can do that accurately their answers are more likely to be accurate too.

If this analysis is right it is not really a late swing as such, more a crystallisation of the inchoate and underlying thinking as decision time approaches that determines how people vote. To be more specific when asked who they are inclined to vote for they might say Labour because their default position is that they care and are nice. When they consider in a bit more detail who has the correct policies that are going to work in the real world they vote Conservative.

Is it really practical or possible for pollsters to force that choice at an earlier stage? I suspect not. It is the actual decision that is the driver to the choice they ultimately make.

Fear of a Labour/SNP government was a big issue on the doorsteps, according to every Conservative canvasser I've talked to, and it came up spontaneously. Yet, somehow, it wasn't feeding through to headline voting intentions. But, it must part of that underlying thinking you refer to.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    I'm think we should seriously consider banning opinion polling. It probably didn't make much difference but there's no getting away from the fact that the state of the GB polls was, theoretically, good for the Tories.
  • Options
    Another major problem with the late swing theory is averted to in Mike's piece. It is quite obvious that both the major parties (unless Ashdown is a great actor the Lib Dems seem to have been genuinely clueless) knew that the reality was not in accordance with the published polling in the run up to the election and possibly even earlier.

So we had Cameron rampaging around the West Country demanding 23 more seats (he got 24, a truly remarkable achievement suggesting incredibly accurate targeting and modelling) and Ed in Warwickshire North desperately and unsuccessfully seeking to bring "soft" target seats on board that according to the polling had already been won. We had Gove confident that the exit poll was about right and Harman not exactly decrying it either.

This suggests to me that the pollsters need to look very carefully at what the major parties did to get more accurate information. If it was canvassing returns etc there is not much that they can do about that because it is polling with sample sizes running into the hundreds of thousands but if the politicians were modelling the population in a different way it has proven to be more accurate, at least on this occasion.

Another useful exercise will be to do comparisons between Lord Ashcroft's constituency polls and the actual results. My perception, without having done this in detail, is that they were incredibly inaccurate but in fairness they were in line with national polling in the main.

We are at risk of reaching the wrong conclusions on small sample sizes here but if anything the forced "constituency" based polling proved to be even less accurate, at least for the Lib Dem constituencies where their supposed local popularity did them almost no good at all whilst Tory first timers, where no incumbency bonus was detected in the polling, did much, much better (sorry Nick).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Fear of a Labour/SNP government was a big issue on the doorsteps, according to every Conservative canvasser I've talked to, and it came up spontaneously. Yet, somehow, it wasn't feeding through to headline voting intentions. But, it must part of that underlying thinking you refer to.
    The extent to which Labour and Lib Dem spokesmen are still complaining about it tends to suggest their canvassing was showing similar results. An astonishingly effective campaign by a team consistently mocked as incompetent.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I do wonder if people just lied to the pollsters.
    What needs to be investigated is how all the polls ended up pretty much the same and what the pollsters did .
    One thing is certain, good or bad, no pollster should be allowed to change their methodology in the ...say 6 months... before the election.

I just didn't believe the polls.. I doubt many will pay attention in future either and that's bad for the polling industry.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @George_Osborne: At ECOFIN this am to discuss Greek crisis & in margins of meeting start in earnest conversation how we reform Britain's relationship with EU
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'm think we should seriously consider banning opinion polling. It probably didn't make much difference but there's no getting away from the fact that the state of the GB polls was, theoretically, good for the Tories.

Banning them entirely? A bit extreme!
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    I suspect that given enough background information, the pollsters could potentially calculate how people are likely to vote, rather than asking them.

Given the lefty outrage on social media, I envisage shy Tories becoming even shyer next time around. My kids dare not tell anybody that they voted blue.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

I suspect that given enough background information, the pollsters could potentially calculate how people are likely to vote, rather than asking them.

Given the lefty outrage on social media, I envisage shy Tories becoming even shyer next time around. My kids dare not tell anybody that they voted blue.

You have done well! Indoctrinating the next generation of baby-eaters :D
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited May 2015
    How about this? The polls seem to get about one in every five general elections seriously wrong.

1970, 1992, 2015. You will note the gap between those is 22-23 years.

Given the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, the next wrong election is due by May 2040.

Does anyone want to bet me 100 UN Credits that the polls will be right then? I look forward to coming back on here with the ghost of OGH and a robot representing Peter Kellner and saying I told you so.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    With a reported response rate of 9% for the phone polls I think that opinion polling becomes essentially impossible because there is clearly something different about people who decide to take part. The essence of opinion polling is not finding a representative sample, but a random sample and there is nothing random involved in such low response rates.
  • Options

With a reported response rate of 9% for the phone polls I think that opinion polling becomes essentially impossible because there is clearly something different about people who decide to take part. The essence of opinion polling is not finding a representative sample, but a random sample and there is nothing random involved in such low response rates.

It would not matter too much (in the same way that attrition of the Yougov panel should not matter) if the relationship between these odd people willing to take time out to tell a stranger what they think and the rest of us was uniform and consistent. But at least on this occasion it was not and there were greater changes in the normal population than there was in these odd bods. Once those ratios start to break down accurate polling becomes impossible. That is not an easy problem to fix.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    It doesn't look there was any difference between the phone polls and online polls (contrary to 2010). If James Morris's analysis is correct then it should be easy for the likes of YouGov to make some small changes to their methodology, i'm sure they always ask the VI question first.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Gadfly said:

You have done well! Indoctrinating the next generation of baby-eaters :D
    Somewhat bizarrely, the local Tory councillor won by 'their' 3 votes, which rather impressed them as to how much each vote can count.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Considering the correlation between approval of leaders, and perhaps opinion on national issues like "the economy", with VI, maybe those questions should be asked first
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I think there's a danger of over analysing the situation here, in the booths people had a vision of Miliband and Sturgeon and instinctively, if reluctantly, voted Conservative, despite what they'd told friends, polls and canvassers.

I think so too. The polls were actually very accurate on the vote shares for UKIP, LibDems, Greens and SNP. It was Lab and Con shares that were out. We have to explain why.

Several possibilities:

The leadership issue - only Ed or Dave would be PM.

The Scottish issue - it did seem to be an issue in several conversations that I had.

Shy Tories- I am not convinced. We did not get evidence of shy kippers or LibDems or of Green "virtue signaling" so why would these factors affect the more mainstream parties?

Late swings in the polling booth. Possible, but only via my other points and if anything the final days trend was the other direction.

It may seem a bit contrarian but I think the polling was actually fairly accurate, but interpretation needs to add the leader approval figures into the mix. It became a PB joke, but when even Labour posters here would post EICIPM, there is a real leadership issue.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Why reluctantly? You have no evidence that people were reluctant - that's just imposing your own prejudice.

On 'shy Tories' - just because people don't feel the need to tell the world and his wife how they will vote does not make them shy. It is for many a private matter. Group affirmations on twitter and Facebook make me cringe with embarrassment.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I say reluctantly based on hundreds of conversations whilst campaigning on the doorstep. So many people told me they "wanted" to vote UKIP but the fear of Miliband and Sturgeon was overwhelming. I see no great celebration after the election, most people see it as the least dangerous outcome.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited May 2015
    We had two different polling failures. First, the final polls were pretty rubbish. But secondly, we had tight convergence among pollsters who had previously been showing very different results onto that rubbish final position. We won't understand the first without also understanding why the second took place.

My hunch? The accurate results for UKIP, the Greens and the Lib Dems were a coincidence. The one thing we saw almost nothing of in the last Parliament was switching between the two main parties. It would be odd if that started on polling day.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    The verdict on the Election ...

It was Nicola wot won it ... for the Tories.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    I saw an interview yesterday evening - may be the one with P Kellner - which said that around 25% of the people made up their minds in the last few days and about half of those on election day.

Parties are saying that many business and similar people felt excluded/threatened by EdM/Labour, but do not recall any polls targeting that area specifically?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    Not sure I buy the 'late swing' hypothesis - what would have triggered it? IIRC Wilson blamed poor trade figures (caused by a BOAC Jumbo delivery or some such) for his loss to Heath, but there was no 'revelatory news' in the run up to this election to cause such a swing - just 'more of the same' - "Ed is crap" ("No! Never! Good gracious!) or "Tory Secret Plots".....

FPT:

Chris g - late of this parish is worth following on Twitter - a few tweets from the past couple of days:

'The death of Tory Scotland' (sic)
    Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

I know, we're supposed to look at 'share'.......but almost all those Tory pensioners from 2001 must be at least 80 by now......
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993

I'm far from an expert on polling but I wonder how much pollsters are influenced by who has commissioned them, he who pays the piper and all that.

It's possible that the polls showing the outcome as neck and neck helped the tories pick up the wavering worried who might not have bothered to vote if they'd shown a clear tory lead.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Correct.
  • Options

Not sure I buy the 'late swing' hypothesis - what would have triggered it? IIRC Wilson blamed poor trade figures (caused by a BOAC Jumbo delivery or some such) for his loss to Heath, but there was no 'revelatory news' in the run up to this election to cause such a swing - just 'more of the same' - "Ed is crap" ("No! Never! Good gracious!) or "Tory Secret Plots".....

FPT:

Chris g - late of this parish is worth following on Twitter - a few tweets from the past couple of days:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

I know, we're supposed to look at 'share'.......but almost all those Tory pensioners from 2001 must be at least 80 by now......

Recalling those those secret plots to do this that and the other, it struck me at the time that it was desperate stuff.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

Con Vote Percentage Scotland:
    1992 25.6%
    1997 17.5%
    2001 15.6%
    2005 15.8%
    2010 16.7%
    2015 14.9%
  • Options
    Alistair said:

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

1992 25.6%
    1997 17.5%
    2001 15.6%
    2005 15.8%
    2010 16.7%
    2015 14.9%
    But there are still more of them.. they ought to be dying out due to natural attrition!!
  • Options

I say reluctantly based on hundreds of conversations whilst campaigning on the doorstep. So many people told me they "wanted" to vote UKIP but the fear of Miliband and Sturgeon was overwhelming. I see no great celebration after the election, most people see it as the least dangerous outcome.

That is not the same as a reluctant vote. Your personal canvass return reminds me of Nick - the Tories have given up - Palmer. :)
  • Options

I love you and I wish things could be different, but I'm afraid I just don't think it's going to work between us right now. It's not you, it's me. I hope we can still be friends. In the future, who knows?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Alistair said:

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

1992 25.6%
    1997 17.5%
    2001 15.6%
    2005 15.8%
    2010 16.7%
    2015 14.9%
    But there are still more of them.. they ought to be dying out due to natural attrition!!
    Census 2001 - White: Other British 373,685
    2001 Election - Conservative 360,658

Census 2011 - White: Other British 417,109
    2010 Election - Conservative 412,905
  • Options
    As a general point we should avoid the golden rule mind set which was so endemic here before the GE.
    The only one which still stands is the the PB Tories were and are always right :)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Alistair said:

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

1992 25.6%
    1997 17.5%
    2001 15.6%
    2005 15.8%
    2010 16.7%
    2015 14.9%
    Percentages are misleading because there has been such a massive change in registration/engagement levels, and I assume most of those new voters voted SNP.

What you can say is that, in absolute terms, the Tories did better (increasing their number of votes by c. 5% since 2010), but they were overwhelmed by the SNP tsunami. So it's not reasonable to say that a low share of the vote on this occasion was a failure by the Tories.

What will be interesting is whether in 2020 (a) they retain/grow those extra votes and (b) the tsunami retreats at all and to what extent
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited May 2015
    The Cons won because they have shown determination to get things back on an even keel.
    Labour lost because their geek king had no clothes,
    Lib Dems lost because they were seen to be a very slippery bunch..which they were.
    Farage lost because his party are seen as bonkers..along with the Greens and assorted others.
    ..but apparently it is all the fault of the pollsters...Salmond..Sturgeon..the EU..Greece..The San Andreas Fault..the rain in Aberdeen..Kim il Yong..Uncle Tom Cobley and his mates..Libyan Submarines..The price of Lobsters..and the gross stupidity and ignorance of the great unwashed aka The British Voters...dadumdedum
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    edited May 2015
    The canvassers beat the pollsters, hands down. Which you would expect.

But even the canvassers were reporting huge numbers of people who were genuinely befuddled about how they were going to vote. I suspect the big issue for the polling was how these don't knows were weighted. I think many were not don't know between Labour and Conservative. The Labour vote was as high as it was going. It was a tussle between voting Conservative and LibDem; between Conservative and UKIP; between Conservative and Can't Be Arsed. And perhaps between Labour and Can't Be Arsed.

This isn't being wise after the event. I said this on here, several days before polling day. I said if each of those groups breaks even 50:50 for the Conservatives, they were home and dry.

Plus there was always going to be a reversion to the status quo. The Tories offered Prime Minister Cameron; Labour offered Prime Minister Ed. No contest. The Tories offered a track record on turning the economy round. Labour offered no case for change - and no apology for their previous epically bad mismanagement. In the end, their manufactured outrage over an NHS they had weaponised, their manufactured outrage over wealth (when the highly-mobile top 1% of tax payers already pay 28% of the tax), their manufactured outrage over a manufactured tax - the so-called Bedroom Tax, an extension into the public sector of a principal Labour itself had introduced to the private sector - and their manufactured outrage over food-banks (were Labour REALLY making an issue out of the poor actually being fed??) did not constitute enough of a manufacturing base for people to turn to them in their millions.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

1992 25.6%
    1997 17.5%
    2001 15.6%
    2005 15.8%
    2010 16.7%
    2015 14.9%

Other British +11.62%
    Conservative +14.49%

:D
  • Options
    felix said:

That is not the same as a reluctant vote. Your personal canvass return reminds me of Nick - the Tories have given up - Palmer. :)
    Nick Palmer should be reminded of that regularly, and as for the likes of IOS or whomever takes his place , one should treat anything the lefties say with considerable circumspection.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    :smiley:
    antifrank said:

I love you and I wish things could be different, but I'm afraid I just don't think it's going to work between us right now. It's not you, it's me. I hope we can still be friends. In the future, who knows?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

1992 25.6%
    1997 17.5%
    2001 15.6%
    2005 15.8%
    2010 16.7%
    2015 14.9%

And your point caller?

That 96% of Other White British used to vote Con & its now 99%?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PickardJE: Liberal Democrats could be renamed ‘the Liberals’ under plans being considered by Tim Farron.

What's wrong with "New Liberal Democrats?"
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724

CD13 said:

Correct.
    That rings true.
    The possibility of Labour getting fewer seats than the Tories and being propped up by the SNP was a major factor in the Tories winning.
    Labour need to stop taking their heartlands for granted.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Labour's leadership issue hasn't gone away with Ed. Whichever way the Party turns, it will shed votes and/or activists. The "1% pay 28%" meme should sink "social justice" politics forever.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

1992 25.6%
    1997 17.5%
    2001 15.6%
    2005 15.8%
    2010 16.7%
    2015 14.9%

And your point caller?

That anyone who votes against the Dear Leader is a traitorous pigdog, not a true Scot?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    There were no shy Tories in the exit polls: ergo, there were no shy Tories.

This leaves us late swing or poor sampling (and its corollary, poor weighting).
  • Options
    felix said:

In a sense, Nick Palmer was right, except the Tories had not given up entirely but rather were playing a different game.
  • Options

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Alistair said:

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

1992 25.6%
    1997 17.5%
    2001 15.6%
    2005 15.8%
    2010 16.7%
    2015 14.9%

And your point caller?

That anyone who votes against the Dear Leader is a traitorous pigdog, not a true Scot?
    Yes 'No true Scot' is about the oldest song in the Nat Hymnal.....and we hear it daily......
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,948
    Perhaps we are all best served if there are fewer polls, but more money is spent on each one. Does each newspaper really need to commission its own? If they clubbed together and pooled the results, we might end up with more accurate data. Or maybe the pollsters themselves need to take a hit on their top level political polling and use it as a means to sell their other polling services rather than as a money maker in and of itself.

It looks like we have too many polls with not enough resources allocated to any of them. The internal ones that both main parties did seem to have been a lot more accurate.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I've mentioned this before but one interpretation of an old nursery rhyme is that it refers to the accession of James I (James VI of Scotland) when a few of his hangers-on descended on the English Court looking for favours ...

"Hark hark the dogs do bark
    The beggars are coming to town
    Some in rags and some in jags
    And one in a velvet gown."

Not that Nicola has ever worn a velvet gown.

Spooky.
  • Options

That assumes that an exit poll will get the same response as an opinion poll, which I submit, is unproven. 'What will you do' and 'What have you done' are not the same questions.....

• Options

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

Recalling those those secret plots to do this that and the other, it struck me at the time that it was desperate stuff.
    I was told that there was 24 hours to save the NHS, yet I still have to go to work shortly. How can that be?

Bloody NHS! Can't do anything on time!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Charles said:

Alistair said:

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

1992 25.6%
    1997 17.5%
    2001 15.6%
    2005 15.8%
    2010 16.7%
    2015 14.9%
    Percentages are misleading because there has been such a massive change in registration/engagement levels, and I assume most of those new voters voted SNP.

What you can say is that, in absolute terms, the Tories did better (increasing their number of votes by c. 5% since 2010), but they were overwhelmed by the SNP tsunami. So it's not reasonable to say that a low share of the vote on this occasion was a failure by the Tories.

What will be interesting is whether in 2020 (a) they retain/grow those extra votes and (b) the tsunami retreats at all and to what extent
    It always amuses me that for a party the Nats keep proclaim dead they seem to worry more about the Conserrvatives in Scotland than they do Labour.
  • Options
    I meant to put my post in italics, the sarcastic, whimsical. not serious font choice
  • Options
    I still don't know how they do it, but, moving like those giant murmurations of starlings, the voters seemingly have a collective consciousness that delivers just the result they wanted. In 2010, they did't want Gordon Brown, but they didn't entirely trust new boy Cameron, so they gave us a Coalition. In 2010, the didn't want Ed, and thought that the Tories had just about earned a majority. But no more than just about.

A majority of 12. That will do them. Oh - and the SNP - let's give them a great big block vote of irrelevance. Tee hee hee....

They somehow co-ordinated that result over 650 constituencies. I mean - how the fuck do they do that?
  • Options

The canvassers beat the pollsters, hands down. Which you would expect.

But even the canvassers were reporting huge numbers of people who were genuinely befuddled about how they were going to vote. I suspect the big issue for the polling was how these don't knows were weighted. I think many were not don't know between Labour and Conservative. The Labour vote was as high as it was going. It was a tussle between voting Conservative and LibDem; between Conservative and UKIP; between Conservative and Can't Be Arsed. And perhaps between Labour and Can't Be Arsed.

This isn't being wise after the event. I said this on here, several days before polling day. I said if each of those groups breaks even 50:50 for the Conservatives, they were home and dry.

Plus there was always going to be a reversion to the status quo. The Tories offered Prime Minister Cameron; Labour offered Prime Minister Ed. No contest. The Tories offered a track record on turning the economy round. Labour offered no case for change - and no apology for their previous epically bad mismanagement. In the end, their manufactured outrage over an NHS they had weaponised, their manufactured outrage over wealth (when the highly-mobile top 1% of tax payers already pay 28% of the tax), their manufactured outrage over a manufactured tax - the so-called Bedroom Tax, an extension into the public sector of a principal Labour itself had introduced to the private sector - and their manufactured outrage over food-banks (were Labour REALLY making an issue out of the poor actually being fed??) did not constitute enough of a manufacturing base for people to turn to them in their millions.

Polling and estimation based on the conviction that your political outlook is the right one and that your opponents do not genuinely hold their opinions, but have manufactured them, is no way to get an accurate view of the wider view of the electorate.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Liberal Democrats could be renamed ‘the Liberals’ under plans being considered by Tim Farron.

I think the new eight-piece band should be called 'The Farronettes'.
  • Options

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

I was told that there was 24 hours to save the NHS, yet I still have to go to work shortly. How can that be?

The Tories must have stolen Ed's chiselled promise of an NHS with time to care...?
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Scott_P said:

How about the Little Democrats?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966
    Differential turnout ?

33% of people intended to vote Conservative, 33% Labour.

The Cons got 24.39% , Labour 20.09%.

So the Conservatives got a 73% turnout and Labour got a 60% turnout. At the end of the day, having Militwump for leader failed to get the Labour vote out whereas the fear of the tartan hordes drove Tories to the polling booth.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Survation: - “there was just a very late swing.”

Hmm, this ‘theory’ I find hard to accept, - IIRC the polls began to clustering together during the final week, with those pollsters showing the highest blue/red leads, both contracting to a median level of ~33/35%? – There was simply a systemic failure by the pollsters to report blue leads in the month prior to the exit poll. – Actually YouGov did in April, but tweaked their methodology and it disappeared.
  • Options
    Iggypop37Iggypop37 Posts: 14
    also. no ones mentioned betfair predicts which was supposed to show the actual picture depending on money being put down and traded, and again got it totally wrong, much in line with the pollsters . any ideas ?
  • Options

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

The 24 hours has been an gone.. the NHS is gone!!! You just have to accept it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,966

That assumes that an exit poll will get the same response as an opinion poll, which I submit, is unproven. 'What will you do' and 'What have you done' are not the same questions.....

The exit poll corrects for differential turnout too...
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Jonathon Powell in The Times http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4437504.ece "this is a very good time to be in Opposition"

*titters*
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Differential turnout ?

So the Conservatives got a 73% turnout and Labour got a 60% turnout. At the end of the day, having Militwump for leader failed to get the Labour vote out whereas the fear of the tartan hordes drove Tories to the polling booth.

I suspect there is a lot in that.

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2015
    Survation: - “there was just a very late swing.”
    A simple way of checking that is to go and survey now a large sample of the postal voters in a thorough way. If the postal voters (weighted by demographics and past vote etc) were already voting in a way different to the way the demographic polls were predicting then there was no late swing.
    Labourlist had a source that indicated some samples of the postal votes were not in line with the polls.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Jonathon Powell in The Times http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4437504.ece "this is a very good time to be in Opposition"

*titters*

I was watching David Davis' interview with Marr on the way home today, and he made a good point that this may be one of the most important parliament to be convened in recent times, due to EU negotiation, and the whole Scotland thing. Thankfully it'll be done in a safe pair of hands!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Pulpstar said:

Differential turnout ?

OGH was forever noting that Labour were ahead before weightings for turnout were applied. To be fair to the pollsters it's probably quite a difficult thing to predict, and turnout in the end wasn't that high.
  • Options
    Iggypop37 said:

also. no ones mentioned betfair predicts which was supposed to show the actual picture depending on money being put down and traded, and again got it totally wrong, much in line with the pollsters . any ideas ?

Gamblers take notice of opinion polls.
  • Options

Gadfly said:

Scott_P said:

How about the Little Democrats?
    Terrible Tim and the 7 dwarves?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited May 2015
    antifrank said:

Iggypop37 said:

Quite. If there'd been no polling at all I think the betting markets might have got quite close to the Lab/Con result. But they'd have missed royally on the SNP and probably been just as bad on the LDs.
  • Options
    Gadfly said:

Scott_P said:

Think they would break up quickly and ditch the lead vocalist.
  • Options
    prh47bridgeprh47bridge Posts: 441
    Apologies if this has already been said - I don't have time to read all the comments on here.

I don't buy the late swing theory. I don't know about Labour, although the article is interesting, but I certainly think the Conservatives knew the polls were wrong.

In the run up to the election and, indeed, on the day we heard that senior Conservatives were saying that 290 seats was at the top end of their expectations and that the party would have done well if they got close to that. I, along with most other people, looked at that through the prism of the polls and thought they were right - 290 was going to be a spectacularly good result. But in the 40+ years I've been voting I cannot remember either Labour or the Conservatives make an optimistic prediction. I have occasionally known them to not be pessimistic enough but not optimistic. They manage expectations. Which is another way of saying that they give themselves a low target so that they are unlikely to fall short and can claim a win, no matter how poor the result. If the Conservatives were sticking with previous form that means they knew 290 was pretty much nailed on and were expecting to do better. Hence my conclusion.

I may, of course, be completely wrong. Maybe the senior Conservatives talking to the press really did believe that 290 was the most they could expect. And I'm sure they were nervous about it given the stubborn refusal of the polls to move away from a ConLab tie. But I think they were managing expectations. That, after all, is what you expect them to do.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Of the dozens of Ashcroft constituency polls in England (about which some of us cautioned about reliability because of the inherent difficulties of individual sears), how many were even close to the final result?

I think very few.

That surely is another important lesson from 2015.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

Perhaps, like Dame Elizabeth Taylor, it will be late for its own funeral? (True story - Taylor's funeral started at 14.00 but her coffin showed up at 14.20, to prove they old adage correct)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Iggypop37 said:

Interestingly, by the end individual polls were no longer moving betfair. Obviously that's partly because each one provided relatively less new information, but it's as almost as if the market had concluded that they weren't worth much by that stage.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Since Farron is closer to the political beliefs held by old Labour, the Greens and Respect, he really is in the wrong party with the label "liberal". Such a pity that our education system fails in this way.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Gadfly said:

Scott_P said:

Think they would break up quickly and ditch the lead vocalist.
    Who is currently pretending that he doesn't really want the job...

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/12933309.UPDATE___There_is_no_question_if_I_felt_the_local_people_didn_t_want_me_to_do_it__I_wouldn_t_do_it____Tim_Farron_on_Lib_Dem_leadership_bid/
  • Options

antifrank said:

Iggypop37 said:

Quite. If there'd been no polling at all I think the betting markets might have got quite close to the Lab/Con result. But they'd have missed royally on the SNP and probably just just as bad on the LDs.
    If I had seen no opinion polls I think I would have been much more prepared for a Conservative overall majority. I travel around the country quite a lot and I can scarcely recall a political topic being discussed spontaneously as much as the prospect of a Labour/SNP government. It had cut through to everyday life.

I was baffled that it was not shifting the opinion polls. But then, it was driven by the polls. Lord Ashcroft giveth and Lord Ashcroft taketh away.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I may, of course, be completely wrong. Maybe the senior Conservatives talking to the press really did believe that 290 was the most they could expect. And I'm sure they were nervous about it given the stubborn refusal of the polls to move away from a ConLab tie. But I think they were managing expectations. That, after all, is what you expect them to do.

I noted at the time that the 290 must be either a lower bound or alternatively a desperate bluff to create momentum.

Especially since results like 285-265 would have been very precarious from a government-forming perspective. Thus if 285 had been seen to be falling short of expectations that would not have helped.
  • Options
    Plato said:

*titters*

The doom and gloom sayers from the Beeb quickly adopted that tone, saying the majority is too small to last 5 years and DC is bound to be another John Major.

On Panorama last night where J Vine completely lost control, noticed the arrogance of the SNPers who claim they could advise the rest of GB how to be independent and avoid Austerity - but SNP quickly retreat from financial independence - which means they haven't a clue of how to conduct the Scottish economy.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    There have been calls for polling to be suspended in the months immediately prior to a GE, personally I find this quite unnecessary and a little extreme. – However, I am all in favour of deterring pollsters from methodology changes three months out.
  • Options
    GDACS is reporting another massive earthquake in Nepal.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,555
    JohnO said:

Of the dozens of Ashcroft constituency polls in England (about which some of us cautioned about reliability because of the inherent difficulties of individual sears), how many were even close to the final result?

I think very few.

I am going through every single Ashcroft constituency poll for a Sunday thread.

My conclusion

"Either Lord Ashcroft is right, they are a snapshot not a prediction or more likely they were very wrong, just look at the ComRes South West Marginals poll that showed the Lib Dems were getting the dockside hooker treatment in contrast to the Ashcroft polls which should the Lib Dems holding on"
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Iggypop37 said:

Quite. If there'd been no polling at all I think the betting markets might have got quite close to the Lab/Con result. But they'd have missed royally on the SNP and probably just just as bad on the LDs.
    If I had seen no opinion polls I think I would have been much more prepared for a Conservative overall majority. I travel around the country quite a lot and I can scarcely recall a political topic being discussed spontaneously as much as the prospect of a Labour/SNP government. It had cut through to everyday life.

I was baffled that it was not shifting the opinion polls. But then, it was driven by the polls. Lord Ashcroft giveth and Lord Ashcroft taketh away.
    But without the opinion polls would people have believed that the SNP would sweep Scotland? We had the evidence of pretty much everyone refusing to believe the obvious when we had opinion polls pointing to SNP 40+ seats in October last year, how heavy would the denial have been without opinion polls?
  • Options
    The Lib Dems should choose as leader whoever is prepared to accept immediately that the hard work of two generations has been destroyed, and that a whole new way is required to build a new party. As with Labour, small minds are discussing people when right now great minds should be discussing ideas.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

JohnO said:

I think very few.

My conclusion

"Either Lord Ashcroft is right, they are a snapshot not a prediction or more likely they were very wrong, just look at the ComRes South West Marginals poll that showed the Lib Dems were getting the dockside hooker treatment in contrast to the Ashcroft polls which should the Lib Dems holding on"
    The ComRes SW Marginal poll was the giant klaxon that many of us ignored.
  • Options

Shyness or reluctance to admit voting for baby-eating Tories should be the same, though. Either there is a stigma attached to voting Conservative or there is not. The exit polls show there is not.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The Lib Dems should choose as leader whoever is prepared to accept immediately that the hard work of two generations has been destroyed, and that a whole new way is required to build a new party. As with Labour, small minds are discussing people when right now great minds should be discussing ideas.

No, no, one more heave should do it for the LDs.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Iggypop37 said:

But without the opinion polls would people have believed that the SNP would sweep Scotland. We had the evidence of pretty much everyone refusing to believe the obvious when we had opinion polls pointing to SNP 40+ seats in October last year how heavy would the denial have been without opinion polls?
    Extraordinarily, numerous so-called Scottish political experts were predicting even at the end that the SNP would get seat counts in the 30s, in defiance of every opinion poll for 6 months.
  • Options

Shyness or reluctance to admit voting for baby-eating Tories should be the same, though. Either there is a stigma attached to voting Conservative or there is not. The exit polls show there is not.
    What if the exit poll was an outlier ;)
  • Options

GDACS is reporting another massive earthquake in Nepal.

A 7.4 according to the USGS
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,555
    Alistair said:

JohnO said:

I think very few.

My conclusion

The ComRes SW Marginal poll was the giant klaxon that many of us ignored.
    I'm being a bit harsh on Lord A.

If as I suggested at the time, Q1 would be more accurate than Q2, then Lord A was right.
  • Options

JohnO said:

I think very few.

My conclusion

Be interesting too for comparisons on the results for Q1 and Q2, and generally whether Q1 was much nearer. That was certainly the case for his Torbay poll.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    antifrank said:

Alistair said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Iggypop37 said:

But without the opinion polls would people have believed that the SNP would sweep Scotland. We had the evidence of pretty much everyone refusing to believe the obvious when we had opinion polls pointing to SNP 40+ seats in October last year how heavy would the denial have been without opinion polls?
    Extraordinarily, numerous so-called Scottish political experts were predicting even at the end that the SNP would get seat counts in the 30s, in defiance of every opinion poll for 6 months.
    They just couldn't, couldn't beleive that the once mighty labour scottish bloc would crumble.

For all the talk of what happened in England, that is truely labours biggest disaster. I see no reason why they will ever go back to labour.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    Alistair said:

FPT:

Con vote in Scotland"
    2001 360,658
    2005 369,388
    2010 412,905
    2015 434,097

Con vote total:
    2001 8.3 M
    2005 8.7 M
    2010 10.7 M
    2015 11.3 M

Lab Vote Total:
    2001 10.7 M
    2005 9.5 M
    2010 8.6 M
    2015 9.3 M

1992 25.6%
    1997 17.5%
    2001 15.6%
    2005 15.8%
    2010 16.7%
    2015 14.9%
    Small but resilient cockroach survives yet another nuclear event but still remains a small cockroach.
    You can be sure that if by some quirk of electoral fate the SCons had increased their vote share but lost votes, it would still be portrayed as evidence of their wonderfulness.
This discussion has been closed.