Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If you’ve been seat betting based on the Ashcroft polls the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If you’ve been seat betting based on the Ashcroft polls then Nuneaton could be the first test

The point I’ll be waiting for on the night will be the first LAB-CON marginals to declare. These are the seats that will determine which party comes top and all that could mean in the post-election bantering.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977
    Not sure I buy the UKIP to Greens move in Nuneaton.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    TNS is the new Gold Standard?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Ed NEEDS to win Nuneaton. Dave can afford to drop it.

Pudsey I reckon is the other way round.
  • Options
    Nuneaton to Coventry train is an hourly service provided by a single carriage Class 153 "bubble car"!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Banter!
  • Options
    So what seat this year is going to be like Basildon 92?
  • Options

Not sure I buy the UKIP to Greens move in Nuneaton.

Duh. Churn.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    An "FPT repost", not because it was worthy, just posted it as the new thread appeared...
    SouthamObserver said:
    » show previous quotes
    Rugby League may also have had something to do with Cheshire's lack of top flight football teams: Warrington and Widnes were (are?) pretty big deals in the county and probably took a fair bit of working class support away from football.

That'll be Warrington and Widnes in the County Palatine of Lancaster, north of the Mersey? ;-)

Any debate or discussion involving things being placed in counties is impossible these days after successive Governments spent millions continuously buggering about with the boundaries....
  • Options
    edited April 2015

The defence of Dundee West.
  • Options
    Tissue Price will probably have another moan, but the TNS percentages to 2 d.p. are:

TORY 206 = 33.88
    Lab 202 = 33.22
    UKIP 93 = 15.30
    LD 44 = 7.24
    Green 29 = 4.77

Weighted base 608.
  • Options

An "FPT repost", not because it was worthy, just posted it as the new thread appeared...

SouthamObserver said:
    » show previous quotes
    Rugby League may also have had something to do with Cheshire's lack of top flight football teams: Warrington and Widnes were (are?) pretty big deals in the county and probably took a fair bit of working class support away from football.

That'll be Warrington and Widnes in the County Palatine of Lancaster, north of the Mersey? ;-)

Any debate or discussion involving things being placed in counties is impossible these days after successive Governments spent millions continuously buggering about with the boundaries....

My plan is to have just two English counties.

Great Yorkshire and Not Yorkshire.

Yes I'm aware Great Yorkshire is a tautology.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited April 2015
    Hmm. Several things spring to mind..

1) looks like swingback is underway
    2) Dave's insistence on the Greens in the debates was strategically very sound (frankly at the time I couldn't understand why they would want someone who was clearly very strange....)
    3) Nicola Sturgeon doing so well.. is going to have the opposite effect that one might have thought.
    4) ironic the Scots like her so much yet loathed Maggie... Give Sturgeon time, she will be equally loathed.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited April 2015
    Pulpstar said:

My second choice was Berwickshire
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

The only way that Labour could save that seat now is mass hypnosis.
  • Options
    Holds I don't want to see:

Somerton & Frome
    Dundee West
    Brent Central
  • Options

Ilford North of course! :lol:
  • Options
    It must be a while since the Tories won four polls on the bounce, all from different firms.
  • Options
    Lib Dem Life @libdemlife
    Man who might be PM in 10 days hasn't even got the strength to ask Brand to come to him. God helps us if he ever has to stand up to Putin
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

The only way that Labour could save that seat now is mass hypnosis.
    Have you heard Murphy on the TV :P ?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,941

Lib Dem Life @libdemlife
    Man who might be PM in 10 days hasn't even got the strength to ask Brand to come to him. God helps us if he ever has to stand up to Putin

Oh, he just wants to get some ideas for his new kitchen.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    Pulpstar said:

Somerton & Frome
    Dundee West
    Brent Central

If the LibDems hold Brent Central, they will be on for more than 100 seats, and a lot of people will lose a lot of money.
  • Options

Nuneaton. If the Tories hold it then Cameron will be PM, pretty much. At the same time Dagenham & Rainham should give a pointer to the swings that UKIP will achieve.
  • Options

I'm hopeful that's a Con hold
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited April 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Somerton & Frome
    Dundee West
    Brent Central

Raheem Sterling has backed Dawn Butler.

I'm assuming it was straight after he had been on the nitrous oxide

http://tinyurl.com/lq63tg9
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723

Nuneaton to Coventry train is an hourly service provided by a single carriage Class 153 "bubble car"!

I believe the approved nickname for a 153 is "Cupboard". Bubble Car should be reserved for 1st generation single car bog-units.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    part-ELBOWs so far this week:

"official" = 0.1% Lab lead
    YouGovs-only = 0.7% Lab lead
    Non-YouGovs = 0.6% TORY lead

Take your pick :)
  • Options

It must be a while since the Tories won four polls on the bounce, all from different firms.

They were even 0.34% ahead in the YG that Tissue Price mentioned in the previous!
  • Options

SouthamObserver said:
    » show previous quotes

My plan is to have just two English counties.

Great Yorkshire and Not Yorkshire.

Yes I'm aware Great Yorkshire is a tautology.

Fine by me - means that you're stuck with Middlesbrough!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

2) Dave's insistence on the Greens in the debates was strategically very sound (frankly at the time I couldn't understand why they would want someone who was clearly very strange....)
    3) Nicola Sturgeon doing so well.. is going to have the opposite effect that one might have thought.
    4) ironic the Scots like her so much yet loathed Maggie... Give Sturgeon time, she will be equally loathed.

They didn't loathe Maggie. That's a myth which has been created (like most of the myths about Maggie) years after the event, like the even more bizarre myth about the poll tax in Scotland.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I think I might make more money if the Cons hold Ilford North now. But its a bit hazy.
  • Options

I believe the approved nickname for a 153 is "Cupboard". Bubble Car should be reserved for 1st generation single car bog-units.
    Ah, yeah, you're probably right - the Class 121 and 122.

I've been on a 121 - from Aylesbury to Quainton Road, August Bank Holiday 2012.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Tissue Price will probably have another moan, but the TNS percentages to 2 d.p. are:

TORY 206 = 33.88
    Lab 202 = 33.22
    UKIP 93 = 15.30
    LD 44 = 7.24
    Green 29 = 4.77

Weighted base 608.

On cue...

Why produce figures to 2dp? Again, the 206 etc. are rounded inputs (to 0dp) so generating a 2dp outcome is a classic case of false precision.
  • Options

Lee Scott = David Amess?
  • Options

October 2010. They did win four polls on the bounce in December 2011 (Veto), but three of them were YouGov.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

Why would Sturgeon be as loathed as Thatcher in Scotland?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Lib Dem Life @libdemlife

Oh, Ed just wants to get some ideas for his new kitchens.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    City of Chester could be Labour's first gain at 0230 if they don't get Nuneaton or either of the Northampton seats. Quite a long wait from the 10pm exit poll.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Pulpstar said:

Somerton & Frome
    Dundee West
    Brent Central

Are we sure that isn't a member of her staff?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/4321614/My-staff-wrote-Barack-Obama-tribute-junior-minister-Dawn-Butler-admits.html
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Lib Dem Life @libdemlife

Yes, Ed has curtains to choose ...

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2015
    ASHCROFT MARGINALS BY CON-LAB CONSTITUENCY SWING (brackets = Question 1 national swing )

Latest Midlands swings by subsample averages by other pollsters.

MIDLANDS
    6.5 (4.0) WM Cannock Chase
    6.2 YOUGOV (incl Wales)
    6.0 (5.0) EM Milton Keynes South
    5.0 (4.0) EM Nuneaton
    4.3 SURVATION
    4.0 (3.5) EE Great Yarmouth
    4.0 ICM
    3.8 POPULUS

3.5 (4.5) EM High Peak
    3.0 (1.0) WM Dudley South
    3.0 (2.5) WM Halesowen
    2.8 IPSOS MORI
    2.1 ASHCROFT
    2.0 COMRES

0.5 (1.5) EE Harlow
    0.5 (0.5) EE Thurrock
    0.5 (2.0) EM Loughborough
    0.0 (1.0) EE Castle Point
  • Options

"In Politics, if you want anything said, ask a man; if you want anything done, ask a woman!" - Maggie, 1965.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited April 2015
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Somerton & Frome
    Dundee West
    Brent Central

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/4321614/My-staff-wrote-Barack-Obama-tribute-junior-minister-Dawn-Butler-admits.html
    Dawn Bulter standing again...jeez I thought we had got rid of people like her...no shame...back claiming the max expenses.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075

You've out-geeked me on that one. ;-)

Although perhaps it should refer to the earlier Flying Bananas (even if they did operate on the GWR):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_railcars
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Yes, I though that was an odd comment. Unless the suggestion is that the Scots just loathe succesful female politicians. I'd hope that isn't what was meant.
  • Options

Why produce figures to 2dp?

"Because I can" comes the Laconic reply...

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

They didn't loathe Maggie. That's a myth which has been created (like most of the myths about Maggie) years after the event, like the even more bizarre myth about the poll tax in Scotland.
    What poll tax myth?

If it's the one about Scotland being a test bed that was confirmed as true by recently released cabinet papers.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983

I reckon Ipswich will be the bellwether. Hold this, and the Conservatives will probably have kept their losses to Labour down to a level at which they can form a government.

Broxtowe is another pointer. Hold this, and Labour will be going backwards in terms of seats.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Lib Dem Life @libdemlife

Apart from how bad it looks for Ed to go and see Brand rather than the other way around, what on Earth can be in it for Miliband to be associating with someone who has spent the last few months telling anyone who'll listen that there's no point in voting because they're all a bit shit?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072

Lib Dem Life @libdemlife

It could be worse, he could have gone to @FalseFlag who would have taught him how to suck up to Putin.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Even if your methodology is not perfect, I think it's good enough. I'm grateful that you spend the time and effort maintaining it.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2015

antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

Somerton & Frome
    Dundee West
    Brent Central

Dawn Bulter standing again...jeez I thought we had got rid of people like her...no shame...back claiming the max expenses.
    Another ghastly Labour droner who left with a fat payoff, yet hungers for another feast on the long suffering taxpayers largesse.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Anorak said:

Yes, I though that was an odd comment. Unless the suggestion is that the Scots just loathe succesful female politicians. I'd hope that isn't what was meant.
    No it wasn't, it was about time served.. Mrs T stayed too long.. Blair definitely stayed too long.. Sturgeon will do the same.. they cannot bear to relinquish the levers of power, eventually others in the party want their chance and the knives get sharpened..
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Sandpit said:

Lib Dem Life @libdemlife

Apart from how bad it looks for Ed to go and see Brand rather than the other way around, what on Earth can be in it for Miliband to be associating with someone who has spent the last few months telling anyone who'll listen that there's no point in voting because they're all a bit shit?
    Maybe he will have a road to damascus type conversion and back Ed...just like he is all anti-tax dodgying, Starbucks, booo, Apple booo, Amazon, booo....oh by the way did I tell you I have a new movie out, which you can rent through their Amazon's online streaming service...drive on driver this top of the range merc won't drive itself, can't you see I need to film another "Trews" episode bashing these millionaire types who went to private school and get chaffeur driven around everywhere...oh thats me...up the workers...
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    edited April 2015
    This is not personal, but how many ex-MPs who have received the 'redundancy' allowance and are elected back to their old seat will repay that cheque from the tax-payer. Does anyone have a list of such people (who are standing again after their 2010 redundancy)?
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 160
    I really cannot conclude why Ed Miliband would want to associate himself with Russell Brand; the Green Party thought he was too toxic.
  • Options
    Flightpath1Flightpath1 Posts: 207

Carnyx said:

Lib Dem Life @libdemlife

Why the late night secret visit? The neighbour who snapped the visit also revealed that Miliband drives around in an imported BMW - possibly a 7 Series.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Even if your methodology is not perfect, I think it's good enough. I'm grateful that you spend the time and effort maintaining it.
    Thank you! Actually I was just teasing Tissue Price :)

For TNS, it's devilishly easy - all six numbers I need for ELBOW are there on page 1 of their table:

http://www2.tnsglobal.com/l/36112/2015-04-28/4z77l3/36112/92380/BIF_Data_tables_28Apr2015.pdf

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Sandpit said:

Lib Dem Life @libdemlife

Maybe he will have a road to damascus type conversion and back Ed...just like he is all anti-tax dodgying, Starbucks, booo, Apple booo, Amazon, booo....oh by the way did I tell you I have a new movie out, which you can rent through their Amazon's online streaming service...drive on driver...
    On Milibrandgate

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/apr/28/brand-and-miliband-lets-pray-it-was-something-sordid-rather-than-political

Brands not utterly thick, if he endorses Ed then it destroys his credibility.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Alistair said:

What poll tax myth?

If it's the one about Scotland being a test bed that was confirmed as true by recently released cabinet papers.

That's the one, and no it wasn't. The poll tax was introduced in Scotland first (at Scottish request, BTW) because otherwise there would have had to have been a full revaluation which would have been chucked away after one year.

The Cabinet papers reference which people seized on was merely stating the obvious - that if you're introducing a big change, it's better to do it in one region initially to reduce implementation risk. However, that wasn't the reason Scotland introduced it first.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Carnyx said:

Lib Dem Life @libdemlife

Why the late night secret visit? The neighbour who snapped the visit also revealed that Miliband drives around in an imported BMW - possibly a 7 Series.
    It's a Government car. Until the GE, he'll get the full package from the Bullet Catchers, on the assumption that he might be the next PM.

Late night visit, does look a bit shifty, doesn't it?

'Labour's Ed Miliband says he agreed to an interview with comedian and political campaigner Russell Brand to liven up the election race.
    "Some people were saying the campaign was too boring so I thought it would make it more interesting," he said.'

Of course you did Ed, of course.
  • Options
    Probability of Dawn Butler getting elected if she was an independent ? 0%
    Probability of Dawn Butler getting elected with a red rosette in Brent Central ? 100%
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Indescribable and mind-boggling article in Comment is Free.

Francine Prose (a hitherto-respected author) compares the murdered Charlie Hebdo journalists to neo-Nazis, and continues from there.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/28/i-admire-charlie-hebdos-courage-but-it-does-not-deserve-a-pen-award#comment-51168796

Peak Guardian?

That pales into comparison...I was listening to a podcast about rent caps in NYC, and one way they get around it is by providing amentities like a free gym only to full paying tenants. One of the residents compared this to how Hilter treated the Jews....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Lib Dem Life @libdemlife

Maybe he will have a road to damascus type conversion and back Ed...just like he is all anti-tax dodgying, Starbucks, booo, Apple booo, Amazon, booo....oh by the way did I tell you I have a new movie out, which you can rent through their Amazon's online streaming service...drive on driver...
    LOL - and you can now watch Amazon streaming service on your iPad while drinking Starbucks coffee!!
    Maybe they will try and make the last week of the election about their mutual hatred of Rupert Murdoch?
  • Options
    Financier said:

This is not personal, but how many ex-MPs who have received the 'redundancy' allowance and are elected back to their old seat will repay that cheque from the tax-payer. Does anyone have a list of such people (who are standing again after their 2010 redundancy)?

And while they're at it - a list of NHS managers who were made redundant as part of the "reform" process and then were recruited back into roles in the new organisational structure.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    Interesting figures on the voting preferences of various professions and jobs and classes in the Times Redbox yesterday

City Workers and Finance Sector - Tory 46%, Labour 19%, LD 5%, Green 4%, UKIP 10%

Health Sector Labour 31%, Tory 27%, LD 6%, Green 4%, UKIP 11%

Students Labour 29%, Tory 25%, Green 13%, LD 8% UKIP 4%

Unemployed Labour 36%, Tory 16%, UKIP 14%, Green 6%, LD 6%

AB Tory 37%, Labour 26%, LD 8%, UKIP 8%, Green 5%

C1 Tory 30%, Labour 27%, UKIP 10%, LD 7%, Green 7%

C2 Labour 30%, Tory 27%, UKIP 15%, LD 4%, Green 4%

D Labour 32%, Tory 23%, UKIP 16%, LD 5%, Green 4%

E Labour 38%, Tory 19%, UKIP 15%, LD 5%, Green 4%
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/redbox/topic/red-box-the-voters
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    @Sunil Prasannan: I like that quote! ;)

@Anorak: Yes, I was thinking along similar lines too.

@SquareRoot: Yes, I'd agree Sturgeon probably does seem the type to hang on to power - however, I think the key reasons behind Scots' hatred of Blair and Thatcher, is the ideology both embraced. Given that I Sturgeon is a centre-left politician, although (like with all political leaders) they'll get sick of her at some point, I think she'd have to do something terrible to be loathed.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Lib Dem Life @libdemlife

Surely as LotO he has a Government car and associated security? The Range Rover in front of his car certainly looks very Special Branch.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    A recount is likely in Nuneaton so it could be delayed by a few hours. Kingswood will probably be the first marginal to decalre again IMO.
  • Options

Alistair said:

What poll tax myth?

That's the one, and no it wasn't. The poll tax was introduced in Scotland first (at Scottish request, BTW) because otherwise there would have had to have been a full revaluation which would have been chucked away after one year.

The Cabinet papers reference which people seized on was merely stating the obvious - that if you're introducing a big change, it's better to do it in one region initially to reduce implementation risk. However, that wasn't the reason Scotland introduced it first.
    That puzzles me. I thought Scotland had just had a revaluation and England hadn't?

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Not long to go and the polls finally shifting towards my head over heart Con 35 Lab 32 prediction from a couple of weeks back. I was almost convinced to shift Con down one and Lab up one but talked myself into waiting for this week's polls.

I've had a look behind this morning's GDP numbers and the growth fuelling components of the UK economy are in a dire state.

I am even more convinced any Tory led government post election is running us headling into another recession.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Too many elbows makes an arse.
  • Options

Too many elbows makes an arse.

Tsssk. ELBOW DENIER!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

What poll tax myth?

That puzzles me. I thought Scotland had just had a revaluation and England hadn't?

For some reason there was controversy about the Scottish valuation, which had been very unpopular. IIRC they were planning to redo it.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, font of all knowledge: "The Scottish revaluation of 1985/1986 led to a great deal of criticism and gave added urgency to rates reform or replacement."
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,006

TORY 206 = 33.88
    Lab 202 = 33.22
    UKIP 93 = 15.30
    LD 44 = 7.24
    Green 29 = 4.77

Weighted base 608.

MOE +/- 3.81% i.e. each could be anywhere in the range 30% - 37%
  • Options
    Send for the Elvis impersonator...Labour wobble-ongoing.

Tom Newton Dunn ✔ @tnewtondunn

Miliband hanging out with Russell Brand is extremely high risk, not the act of a frontrunner. Brave politics, or first sign of Labour panic?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    BenM said:

Not long to go and the polls finally shifting towards my head over heart Con 35 Lab 32 prediction from a couple of weeks back. I was almost convinced to shift Con down one and Lab up one but talked myself into waiting for this week's polls.

I've had a look behind this morning's GDP numbers and the growth fuelling components of the UK economy are in a dire state.

I am even more convinced any Tory led government post election is running us headling into another recession.

So please would you explain how a Labour/SNP/PC/Green government would lead the UK into economic growth without increasing the deficit and debt.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    BenM said:

That will happen whoever is in power. The problem, as I see it, for Labour is that they backed the wrong horse five years ago. Instead of telling the electorate that the Tories were cutting too much too quickly, they should have challenged the Government to meet its borrowing targets.

As it is, if Labour do somehow end up leading a coalition government, then they will not be able to moan about the deficit that they will inherit from the Tories. I have no doubt that they will try anyway!
  • Options
    Loving the Lab price on betfair most seats.... reach for the sky!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

A recount is likely in Nuneaton so it could be delayed by a few hours. Kingswood will probably be the first marginal to decalre again IMO.

It may not be a Basildon, though. A good result for Chris Skidmore may not necessarily mean a good result for the Conservatives as a whole. Ashcroft seems to be point to a big Conservative outperformance in the Bristol/Somerset area.
  • Options

Miliband hanging out with Russell Brand is extremely high risk, not the act of a frontrunner. Brave politics, or first sign of Labour panic?

What happened to the old gang of Two Jags, Campbell and Blair doing their reunion tour for Labour? Tweeting 24/7 doesn't count.
  • Options
    BenM said:

In terms of seats, what do you predict?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

A good point about recounts, quite a few of the very marginal seats could end up declaring somewhat later than anticipated.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    BenM said:

A Labour led government will definitely head us into another recession. It's in their DNA.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    BenM .. do not worry lad .. you will not notice the difference ..your life will be one of grinding poverty..just like the last five years..
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

I see George Eaton from the New Statesmen was saying he was suprised at Labours change of focus to immigration this week - was meant to be living standards, apparently. I wonder whats going on behind the scenes?
  • Options
    Flightpath1Flightpath1 Posts: 207
    Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Lib Dem Life @libdemlife

Surely as LotO he has a Government car and associated security? The Range Rover in front of his car certainly looks very Special Branch.
    PM drives around in a British built Jag. Why cannot Miliband? Or why not a Range Rover?
  • Options

I see George Eaton from the New Statesmen was saying he was suprised at Labours change of focus to immigration this week - was meant to be living standards, apparently. I wonder whats going on behind the scenes?
    They mixed up two blank pieces of paper?
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Financier said:

BenM said:

So please would you explain how a Labour/SNP/PC/Green government would lead the UK into economic growth without increasing the deficit and debt.
    The point is they should increase the deficit and debt - Osborne's plans are going to anyway.
  • Options
    Clacton hustings from last night - take your pick

Giles Watling‏@GilesWatling·15 hrs15 hours ago
    To all those who asked - sorry for the delay, your boards and posters are on their way! I thank you all :) #ClactonHustings

Lorraine King‏@LorraineKing27·17 hrs17 hours ago
    #clactonhustings audience asks if Douglas Carswell loves the area so much when is he going to buy a house here!

Giles Watling retweeted
    Danny Mayzes‏@TweetMayzes·15 hrs15 hours ago
    A DRM poll finds @GilesWatling the clear winner of tonight's #ClactonHustings. Clear answers, clear vision for Clacton and true passion

Douglas Carswell @DouglasCarswell · 15h 15 hours ago
    Thrilled with tonight's #ClactonHustings - several more requests for garden boards and more volunteer leafleters!

Douglas Carswell @DouglasCarswell · 5 hrs5 hours ago
    I loved the #Clacton hustings last night! Here's my take on it .... http://www.talkcarswell.com/home/clacton-candidates-hustings/2830
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    HYUFD said:

Interesting figures on the voting preferences of various professions and jobs and classes in the Times Redbox yesterday

City Workers and Finance Sector - Tory 46%, Labour 19%, LD 5%, Green 4%, UKIP 10%

Health Sector Labour 31%, Tory 27%, LD 6%, Green 4%, UKIP 11%

Students Labour 29%, Tory 25%, Green 13%, LD 8% UKIP 4%

Unemployed Labour 36%, Tory 16%, UKIP 14%, Green 6%, LD 6%

AB Tory 37%, Labour 26%, LD 8%, UKIP 8%, Green 5%

C1 Tory 30%, Labour 27%, UKIP 10%, LD 7%, Green 7%

C2 Labour 30%, Tory 27%, UKIP 15%, LD 4%, Green 4%

D Labour 32%, Tory 23%, UKIP 16%, LD 5%, Green 4%

E Labour 38%, Tory 19%, UKIP 15%, LD 5%, Green 4%
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/redbox/topic/red-box-the-voters

Wow, that's a really good chart.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    BenM said:

Financier said:

BenM said:

The point is they should increase the deficit and debt - Osborne's plans are going to anyway.
    umm the debt has to go up until the deficit vanishes.....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

A good point about recounts, quite a few of the very marginal seats could end up declaring somewhat later than anticipated.
    Torbay is likely to be marginal - but has the added complication of full council elections and an elected mayor to sort through too.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Lib Dem Life @libdemlife

PM drives around in a British built Jag. Why cannot Miliband? Or why not a Range Rover?
    Special Branch have a fleet of Audi and BMWs - probably one of theirs.
  • Options
    BenM said:

You can't have the UK's atrocious productivity and poor export record and hope to grow sustainably over a decent period of time. The next Tory government needs to deal with that while fighting off the Scots and navel gazing over Europe. All with a tiny majority or fragile coalition of sorts. It should be fun.

First past the post encourages short-termism and has got us to this point. Sadly, turkeys do not vote for Christmas. Though maybe SLab's MPs should have done so when they had the chance.

• Options

They are running out of time now.

Postal voting is underway and there's only 8 days of campaigning left, one of which is a bank holiday. Meanwhile the politicians are fighting the Nepalese earthquake for headlines and there's a Royal baby on the way. Surely the only thing that will change the game either way at this stage is a massive gaffe from one of the leaders?
  • Options
    BenM said:

Financier said:

BenM said:

O...kay....
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Dawn Butler? She of the Obama fake letter?
    Pulpstar said:

Probability of Dawn Butler getting elected if she was an independent ? 0%
    Probability of Dawn Butler getting elected with a red rosette in Brent Central ? 100%

• Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 160

With the rapid decline in Scotland and potential wipe out, he has no choice but to chase southern England (which wasn't apart of his original plan)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

BenM said:

Con 35 Lab 32 could easily see Labour in government, in alliance with the Nats. It would be a calamitously feeble government, and the bizarre *Coalition* with Sturgeon would do Labour severe longterm damage, but it could easily happen.

As for the recession prediction, pfft. If a recession is headed our way I doubt it will be the worst recession in British history - which is what Labour gave us the last time they were in office.

What the next recession may deliver is much higher unemployment than there has been for a very long time, as companies that shouldn't really be in business but have managed to struggle on as a result of low labour costs finally bow to the inevitable. So what we might see is a relatively shallow recession in which a lot of people lose their jobs.
  • Options
    If Labour lose, can they please go sub 250.

Ta.
This discussion has been closed.