Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If you’ve been seat betting based on the Ashcroft polls the

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,725
    edited April 2015

Why on earth is Miliband doing an interview with Russell Brand? I don't hate Brand, but it's hardly going to be a game-changer. More of a laugh, and something to trend on twitter for a couple of hours or so.

Same reason Dave did one with Heat presumably and Clegg spent the day with Joey Essex. Their advisers thought there might be some benefit. Can't see it myself.

Who is advising them this stuff is a good thing? I can understand Clegg/Joey Essex thing as the LDs have literally nothing left to lose, but Cameron with a Heat magazine interview? It's a bit like when Gordon Brown embarrassingly said he listened to the Arctic Monkeys. Politicians really need to stop trying to be cool and relevant.

I know I am getting old, but there seemed to be a lot more frontline gravitas back in the day. Maybe they just seemed that way because I was younger, but I don't remember it being so studenty as it is now with tedious point scoring, name calling and so on. And it is all so utterly fake. I mean Dave is now "pumping and motivated and letting us know it", coincidentally just a day or so after he was criticised for not being these things. Ed has been taking normal classes. I mean, WTF??

I know Newzoids is trying to be the new Spitting Image. But we don't need it with the current lot, the truth is funny than the fiction.

I wonder if it will be the "Happy Warrior" version of Ed with Brand?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited April 2015

What happens if no party gets a majority and can't negotiate an agreement with one of the smaller parties...who gets first dibs and how would a second election get triggered?

After an indecisive election:-

The PM stays in office until he resigns, which could be immediately (1929), after a short while (1974, 2010) or after losing his first Parliamentary test (1923-24). He of course may not need to resign if he has sufficient allies (1910).

If he resigns, the Leader of the Opposition is called to form a government, whether or not that government is likely to survive.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,067

Whose Matt Forde and whose Tommy Robinson? Never heard of 'em.

Whats going on in the markets? They've gone stark ravers. Lab majority out to 100 & tories in on 1.27. Is this just trading off last few good tory polls or more rumoured in pipeline?

o/t doesn't 100% follow that Con-Lab will produce largest party. Cons could lose 30 to Lab and still be largest after SLAB & LD wipeouts.

Hedge your bets !
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

isam said:

I bow to no one in my dislike of Russell Brand, but amazingly, young female lefties think he is a wise God like creature with devastating insight into the world of politics... I cant see how this is that bad for Miliband unless Brand calls him a rude word of some kind, look at who the undecided voters are

Somehow I don't think the particular demographic of young female lefties is where Ed has the biggest challenge, or for that matter the biggest opportunity.
    If Russell Brand said "Vote Labour" it would help them immensely IMO and possibly win the election for them... people are that stupid

As long as this meeting didn't end with him calling Ed a nerd or worse, I think it can only do Labour a lot of good unfortunately
    Ludicrous hyperbole.
    You said it yourself, he has 15m followers on youtube, lord knows how many on twitter, and the people that follow him genuinely think he is on to something in terms of politics and class war.. you don't think they do it for his jokes do you?

In the tightest election ever, I don't see how support from the most popular politically minded non politician amongst a huge part of the electorate would fail to push whoever he supported over the line
    Support from a man who told everyone not to vote, the man who called Ed Balls a "clicky-wristed snidey c*nt", the man who Ed Balls, in return, termed "a pound shop Ben Elton" a few weeks back, the man who dismissed Miliband with "pfft, we can do better" just a year ago?

You can't see that support possibly backfiring, at all?

Such support may win a few thousand youth votes (if they are even registered), if the tabloids and Tories go on the attack, it could easily make 200,000 older voters think, "Jesus, Ed really is a desperate twit".

And what's Ed Balls, the "clicky-wristed snidey c*nt" going to say when he's asked about the exciting support of that pound-shop Ben Elton, who his leader furtively went to pay homage to, at 3am in hipster Shoreditch?

This has last gasp idea formed after two bottles of wine written all over it. It's inherently risky. It implies to me that some Labour spinners think they're losing.
    Russell Brand telling people not inclined to vote to vote Labour wont hurt them IMO as I said... its not going to stop my Mum, a 68 year old lifelong Labour voter who hates Russell Brand, voting Labour, being called a bigot by the Labour PM didn't stop Gillian Duffy.. it would be a net positive for Labour if he endorsed them

Under 30s would just see pics of Brand and Miliband, then Brand saying " Vote for this guy"
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,109

You said it yourself, he has 15m followers on youtube, lord knows how many on twitter, and the people that follow him genuinely think he is on to something in terms of politics and class war.. you don't think they do it for his jokes do you?

In the tightest election ever, I don't see how support from the most popular politically minded non politician amongst a huge part of the electorate would fail to push whoever he supported over the line
    Nope.

He has ONE million followers on YouTube...
  • Options

Whats going on in the markets? They've gone stark ravers. Lab majority out to 100 & tories in on 1.27. Is this just trading off last few good tory polls or more rumoured in pipeline?

o/t doesn't 100% follow that Con-Lab will produce largest party. Cons could lose 30 to Lab and still be largest after SLAB & LD wipeouts.

The market has gone indeed gone crackers. If you're backing Con most seats and Ed Miliband PM at today's prices you're doing it wrong. Trust me on this !
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,062
    Elizabeth would be a nice name.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    @Creidekki I had to go an wiki Kenny Everett - I'm afraid he is way before my time (I'm 21). But I doubt he would have made much of an impact, as from what I understand Thatcher was very unpopular with young people in the 1980s.

@SouthamObserver I think the rise of the career politician has effected politics negatively. In a way, it's kind of stain on the reputations of elite private schools and Oxbridge/Cambridge universities. Much of the current political class would have gone to the best private schools, and universities that money can buy, and yet they have been so ineffective as agents of change, or having any real vision for this country. Cameron has never had a real job outside of politics, bar as PR guy for Carlton, so he literally lives through opinion polls to try to understand the voter. Tbf Miliband and Clegg also do this too, and that's why they come off so fake IMO. They have no real world experience as to what it's like for many people out there.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    RobD said:

antifrank said:

The royal couple should go for a name that is both traditional and enduringly popular. Mohammed, maybe.

Similar to a Pope calling himself Peter?
    Pope Judas I. Has a ring to it (geddit).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,742

isam said:

I bow to no one in my dislike of Russell Brand, but amazingly, young female lefties think he is a wise God like creature with devastating insight into the world of politics... I cant see how this is that bad for Miliband unless Brand calls him a rude word of some kind, look at who the undecided voters are

I consider myself a young female leftie (an evil liberal PC femanazi, my existence is enough for this site to explode), and I certainly don't think of Russell Brand in that way at all, although his YouTube channel is a good laugh. I think young female lefties like Charlie Brooker at lot more than they do Russell Brand.
    Welcome! We could do with more lady PBers on this site :)
  • Options

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

isam said:

Somehow I don't think the particular demographic of young female lefties is where Ed has the biggest challenge, or for that matter the biggest opportunity.
    If Russell Brand said "Vote Labour" it would help them immensely IMO and possibly win the election for them... people are that stupid

As long as this meeting didn't end with him calling Ed a nerd or worse, I think it can only do Labour a lot of good unfortunately
    Ludicrous hyperbole.

How many of those followers are over 18 years old, live in the UK and are registered to vote? How many of them live in the key marginal constituencies? How many of them weren't planning to vote Labour already?
    Apparently its 1m, I was quoting SeanT

Sorry I forgot, everything Ed Miliband does is going to end in tears, I shouldn't have considered another outcome.. Jesus I almost feel like using one of the pathetic "PB this's or that's" insults!
  • Options
    Anorak said:

isam said:

isam said:

Do you think he's going to want to look like he's been 'told' what to do by the Dork In Chief (DIC)? He's a tad image-conscious, you know.
    I've got a DIC - Diploma of Imperial College, awarded along with my PhD back in 2002 :)
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Dadge said:

Don't think I can make it to London on May 7th :(

Why not? Is anything happening on that day?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,776
    I would imagine he'll come out with some sort of general 'vote anyone to stop the Tories and UKIP' call to action that stops short of a full endorsement.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Now that the cat is out of the bag, there is every chance that Ed’s pre-recorded evening chat with Brand may not go according to plan. – marvelous :lol:.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited April 2015
    I see the "f*ck 'em, we're f*cked anyway" strategy for Labour vis-a-vis Scotland has got an airing:

"Labour’s doomed in Scotland and Ed needs to put Sturgeon in her place: so scrap the Barnett Formula"
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Anorak said:

isam said:

isam said:

Do you think he's going to want to look like he's been 'told' what to do by the Dork In Chief (DIC)? He's a tad image-conscious, you know.
    I've got a DIC - Diploma of Imperial College, awarded along with my PhD back in 2002 :)
    I don't think our Russel would do what you told him either.
  • Options

Anorak said:

isam said:

isam said:

Titter.....

I'll get my coat.
  • Options

I would imagine he'll come out with some sort of general 'vote anyone to stop the Tories and UKIP' call to action that stops short of a full endorsement.

That'd be a right shocker!!!!!! :)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

isam said:

Ludicrous hyperbole.

This has last gasp idea formed after two bottles of wine written all over it. It's inherently risky. It implies to me that some Labour spinners think they're losing.
    Russell Brand telling people not inclined to vote to vote Labour wont hurt them IMO as I said... its not going to stop my Mum, a 68 year old lifelong Labour voter who hates Russell Brand, voting Labour, being called a bigot by the Labour PM didn't stop Gillian Duffy.. it would be a net positive for Labour if he endorsed them

Under 30s would just see pics of Brand and Miliband, then Brand saying " Vote for this guy"
    We're clearly not going to agree about Brand, so let's move on.

Where my argument is unanswerable is what this says about Labour's campaign. Given Brand's backstory, and his feuds with Balls, and his inherent instability, courting him is a significant risk.

Winning parties do not take risks. If Labour really thought, like NPXMP, that they were cruising to victory, they would not have done this.

Evidently, plenty of people inside Labour are anxious that they are losing. The Stamp Duty proposal smacked of the same faint desperation. Bet accordingly?
    Ok well the rest of it I just don't know really. I have had tiny bets on the outcome of the election and no real opinion.. its too difficult to see through the spin, and with the 3rd party ranging between 7-18% in the last week or so with no certainty as to where those votes are or are not coming from, it just seems a guess

I decided long ago just to focus on UKIP betwise as its probably better to try and hone in on one aspect
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,022
    edited April 2015
    Verulamius

"What about 'Roger' as a name for the royal baby?"

Might be a problem with the tabloids in later life if Uncle Andy is anything to go by.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Hands up if you're under the age of 25 and thus in the target demographic of Russell Brand?

I haven't seen anything about the content of the interview, and that's what's important. Brand has a strong brand (pun intended), but trying to attach yourself to it is not the same thing. People like chocolate but a Conservative/Cadbury tie up is hardly likely to look that good for the same reason.
  • Options
    dyingswandyingswan Posts: 189
    I am amazed that Russell Brand lives in a mansion. I had always assumed that he lived in Dagenham. two stops down from Barking
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052

What about Roger as a name for the royal baby?

I think Trotsky is a lovely name. Also, translates beautifully for any gender.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Roger said:

Sunil.

"Tissue Price will probably have another moan, but the TNS percentages to 2 d.p.............."

Ignore the doubting Thomases Sunil.

If they spent as much time campaigning as they do trying to manipulate your poll findings the Tories might well be in an unassailable position by now.

If there were nominations for poster of the year I would nominate you. Your ELBOW has been a revelation and you are clearly a humble seeker after truth.

Rare moment of agreement, Rog.

Sunil's ELBOW has been one of the better innovations of this election. Lucid, unbiased, and better than most of the stuff produced by the pros. His partitioning of YouGov and others has been particularly interesting.

Honorary PB Knighthood for Mister Sunil.
    Roger and Sean - your cheques are in the post :)

BTW I'm a "Dr", albeit just a PhD!
    Hey, he was "just" Dr. Evil......
    "I didn't spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called "Mr", thank you!"
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,776
    I could see it backfiring if Brand starts asking other leaders though. I'd love Farage one on one with Brand rather than hurling insults over others on QT.
  • Options

That does raise a point: how does one address Sir Sunil Dr. Prasannan? Doctor Sir? Sir Dr.? Surname or first name?

Mr Dancer, are you familiar with the Dad's Army episode where Corporal Jones asks: "Is it the Honourable Sgt. Wilson, or Sgt. the Honourable Wilson?"
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    For everyone thinking that UKIP is extreme, think again:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-candidate-wants-gay-people-jailed-adultery-made-illegal-and-rock-bands-outlawed-31176105.html

"An election candidate who wants rock music banned, gay people jailed and feminism abolished has rejected claims she is extreme."
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391

@Creidekki I had to go an wiki Kenny Everett - I'm afraid he is way before my time (I'm 21). But I doubt he would have made much of an impact, as from what I understand Thatcher was very unpopular with young people in the 1980s.

@SouthamObserver I think the rise of the career politician has effected politics negatively. In a way, it's kind of stain on the reputations of elite private schools and Oxbridge/Cambridge universities. Much of the current political class would have gone to the best private schools, and universities that money can buy, and yet they have been so ineffective as agents of change, or having any real vision for this country. Cameron has never had a real job outside of politics, bar as PR guy for Carlton, so he literally lives through opinion polls to try to understand the voter. Tbf Miliband and Clegg also do this too, and that's why they come off so fake IMO. They have no real world experience as to what it's like for many people out there.

Welcome, Ms Lypse,

Do you really think we needed an 'agent of change' or a visionary in 2010?

We had a massive deficit and an indecisive election result, so pragmatists like Cameron and Clegg were right for the times.

If you think we and the international economy are out of the woods, then let's have a visionary and an agent of change who can take advantage of such blessed times.

P.S. There are many ways of having a 'real life'. It's a little presumptuous to assume that your vision of one is the correct one.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    I doubt whether many of Russell Brand's demographic fetch are registered to vote.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    :smiley:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

Sunil.

"Tissue Price will probably have another moan, but the TNS percentages to 2 d.p.............."

Ignore the doubting Thomases Sunil.

If they spent as much time campaigning as they do trying to manipulate your poll findings the Tories might well be in an unassailable position by now.

If there were nominations for poster of the year I would nominate you. Your ELBOW has been a revelation and you are clearly a humble seeker after truth.

Rare moment of agreement, Rog.

Sunil's ELBOW has been one of the better innovations of this election. Lucid, unbiased, and better than most of the stuff produced by the pros. His partitioning of YouGov and others has been particularly interesting.

Honorary PB Knighthood for Mister Sunil.
    Roger and Sean - your cheques are in the post :)

BTW I'm a "Dr", albeit just a PhD!
    Hey, he was "just" Dr. Evil......
    "I didn't spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called "Mr", thank you!"
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

isam said:

Ludicrous hyperbole.

I do see. Of his followers, only a fraction of a fraction of a fraction are relevant.

1: A large proportion who follow him will not be such big megafans. Celebrity followers (including media) etc probably make up a large proportion.
    2: Even amongst fans, only a small proportion will be mindless drones who'll change his vote as he says
    3: Even amongst those drone fans, the prior instruction from Brand was to not vote and its too late to register. If people just follow Brand blindly it would make literally zero difference. So they'd have to have registered despite Brand (and thus have a modicum of free will).
    4: Even amongst drone fans who've bothered to register, his biggest appeal is to lefties. A large proportion of which would already be voting for Labour.
    5: Even amongst those who change voting from a different party, unless there's hundreds or thousands of those per marginal it won't be decisive.

So you're saying to get over the line there'd have to be enough people per constituency who are registered to vote, willing to vote, weren't going to vote for Labour already but now do because of Brand alone. I don't think so.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2015
    It's only a matter of time before Milliband emulates his new trendy chum, and appears somewhere dressed up as Keith Richards, complete with eyeliner and cigarette hanging out of his mouth.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-candidate-wants-gay-people-jailed-adultery-made-illegal-and-rock-bands-outlawed-31176105.html

"An election candidate who wants rock music banned, gay people jailed and feminism abolished has rejected claims she is extreme."

Northern Ireland is tremendously socially Conservative !
  • Options
    tyson said:

We'd all be Trotskyites (well, after a bad minibus accident).
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2015
    Speedy said:

"I believe in a God who can work miracles but, realistically speaking, I don't think I will win."

She's taking the piss, right?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,062
    Dr. Sir Sunil Prasannan, I have seen it, though it's a while ago.

In Blackadder Goes Forth, the general's referred to as General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchitt during the trial.
  • Options
    RobD said:

tyson said:

We'd all be Trotskyites (well, after a bad minibus accident).
    "Trotskyism is a tool of the Capitalists!"

http://www.cpgb-ml.org/index.php?secName=leaflets&subName=display&leafletId=89
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Yet the "real Conservatives" were firstly rejected by what is now the UUP in 1972, and nowadays whenever the Tories do stand they only get about 1% of the vote
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2015
    tyson said:

'cough' - I think you are biased Mr tyson – how is the old mutt btw :lol:
  • Options

In Blackadder Goes Forth, the general's referred to as General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchitt during the trial.

How do to deal with someone who is simultaneously a professor, a general, and a peer of the realm?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Speedy said:

Yet the "real Conservatives" were firstly rejected by what is now the UUP in 1972, and nowadays whenever the Tories do stand they only get about 1% of the vote
    They didn't want to save Ulster from sodomy though.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

isam said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

isam said:

Ludicrous hyperbole.

I do see. Of his followers, only a fraction of a fraction of a fraction are relevant.

1: A large proportion who follow him will not be such big megafans. Celebrity followers (including media) etc probably make up a large proportion.
    2: Even amongst fans, only a small proportion will be mindless drones who'll change his vote as he says
    3: Even amongst those drone fans, the prior instruction from Brand was to not vote and its too late to register. If people just follow Brand blindly it would make literally zero difference. So they'd have to have registered despite Brand (and thus have a modicum of free will).
    4: Even amongst drone fans who've bothered to register, his biggest appeal is to lefties. A large proportion of which would already be voting for Labour.
    5: Even amongst those who change voting from a different party, unless there's hundreds or thousands of those per marginal it won't be decisive.

So you're saying to get over the line there'd have to be enough people per constituency who are registered to vote, willing to vote, weren't going to vote for Labour already but now do because of Brand alone. I don't think so.
    I don't see why you bother trying to seem as though you think these things through, if its bad for Conservatives, you don't like it. You don't have to seem like its all based on logic, when the conclusion is always the same it obviously partisan

Fair enough, but you might as well just think "I disagree" and move on
  • Options
    Mr. D, I'd say Lord General Professor, but that's just me.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    RobD said:

How do to deal with someone who is simultaneously a professor, a general, and a peer of the realm?
    Robert Maurice Lipson Winston, Baron Winston, FMedSci, FRSA, FRCP, FRCOG, FIBiol, FREng(Hon)

:lol: :
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Pulpstar said:

The market has gone indeed gone crackers. If you're backing Con most seats and Ed Miliband PM at today's prices you're doing it wrong. Trust me on this !
    As I see it, Ed is still 4/6 next PM. The market is not looking at Con or Lab seats. Rather:

Is LAB + SNP +PC + SDLP + GRN > CON + [ possibly ] LD ?

If the above equation holds, Ed is PM.

I say possibly because I am not entirely sure the LD party will want to join another coalition at this time after being decimated.

If it joins with the Tories [ as Clegg wants ], the question arises why did they fight each other over so many seats !
  • Options
    Mr. Surbiton, good recipe for Labour to be crushed in England, relying on separatists in every other part of the kingdom, as well as a token Green.
  • Options

RobD said:

Robert Maurice Lipson Winston, Baron Winston, FMedSci, FRSA, FRCP, FRCOG, FIBiol, FREng(Hon)

Still only holds two titles (well, you could be pedantic and be Professor Dr.). I think he goes by Professor Lord Winston. Alternatively, you could imagine Proffesor Robert Winston, Baron Winston.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

As I see it, Ed is still 4/6 next PM. The market is not looking at Con or Lab seats. Rather:

I say possibly because I am not entirely sure the LD party will want to join another coalition at this time after being decimated.

If it joins with the Tories [ as Clegg wants ], the question arises why did they fight each other over so many seats !
    You might be right, I've laid off a touch of Ed today at 1.73 though. Is it 1.67 ? Perhaps but I think he'll drift between now and polling day.

I'd reback at 1.9...
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Still only holds two titles (well, you could be pedantic and be Professor Dr.). I think he goes by Professor Lord Winston. Alternatively, you could imagine Proffesor Robert Winston, Baron Winston.
    I feel inadequate!

Sunil Prasannan, BSc (Hons), ARCS, PhD, DIC :)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,329
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

UKIP and Greens on 20% with TNS = c.6 million votes. Likely to win only 2 or 3 seats. What a fantastic system FPTP is.

Quite so, it's discounting the votes of ill-informed supporters of minor parties, just as it's designed to.

Just look at what happened when a minor party finally got enough seats to have an influence - two-thirds of its "supporters" decided they didn't actually support them after all.

(NB tongue slightly in cheek, but not entirely...)
    That is special pleading, if ever I've read it.
    It's just a feature of the system that it discounts protest votes unless and until they get up a proper head of steam. Which is arguably desirable.
    Is it desirable that every Scottish MP (bar one or two) will be a Nationalist, despite half the population voting for Unionists?
    Very desirable, we will be glad to be rid of the carpetbaggers and get some MP's who actually care about Scotland.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

If the Labour NEC want him to be. Labour could let Cammo carry on, but that will get leftists of all stripes hopping mad...
  • Options
    I reckon we might see the bizarre situation of Con seats and Ed Mili both going sub 1.1 late May. I wouldn't rule the betfair nutters out to do it.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

RobD said:

RobD said:

I feel inadequate!

I'm even more inadequate: Rob D, MPhys (Exon), PhD (Exon), FRAS, MInstP

BTW- you forget your PB knighthood!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    RodCrosby said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

If the Labour NEC want him to be. Labour could let Cammo carry on, but that will get leftists of all stripes hopping mad...
    Looks like Nicola has Ed by the bollocks if the result is the midpoint of the models to me. Damned if he becomes PM, damned if he doesn't.

Can gerrymander the boundaries a bit though if he is...
  • Options
    Remember Elizabeth Shepherd, the 'poster girl' for Red Ed's push for apprenticeships? Nor do Labour - seven months later, they still haven't got in touch with her

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3059329/Remember-Elizabeth-Shepherd-poster-girl-Red-Ed-s-push-apprenticeships-Nor-Labour-seven-months-later-haven-t-got-touch-her.html
  • Options
    Interesting. Juncker opening the door on Treaty Change. Dave will be pleased.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32495060
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Brand...Long word, long word, long word, long word...gibberish...Park Life

Ed - NOT TRUE..NOT TRUE...NOT TRUE (complete with weird arm gestures).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FdbH4rN9b4
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

Welcome, Ms Lypse,

Do you really think we needed an 'agent of change' or a visionary in 2010?

We had a massive deficit and an indecisive election result, so pragmatists like Cameron and Clegg were right for the times.

If you think we and the international economy are out of the woods, then let's have a visionary and an agent of change who can take advantage of such blessed times.

P.S. There are many ways of having a 'real life'. It's a little presumptuous to assume that your vision of one is the correct one.
    Thanks for the welcome.

I do think we need an agent of change - there are many, many issues in our society that need addressing - from housing, to wage levels, to the future of the NHS and the welfare state as a whole. I think addressing societies' issues requires a change. I think we did need a 'visionary' both then and in 2010 - I think this election campaign in many ways has been one driven by fear; fear of the SNP, fear if we tax anyone rich even 1p more, they'll leave the country etc. I think people need hope - hope that, yes while we'll in for some tough times, we'll come out of these times and my generation has a hope of being able to get a decent job, a decent wage, and get a mortgage at some stage.

I don't think we are out of the woods - not by a long shot, but that doesn't mean that society as a whole doesn't need to change.

And while there are many ways of having a real life, modern politicians are governing and making decisions over people's lives - these people face realities that these politicians cannot begin to understand. It's very easy to make decisions from an Ivory Tower, when you're often not the ones facing the effects of those decisions. I think many politicians - especially Osborne - see politics as simply a game, and it's very dangerous to play games with people's lives.

@Sunil Prasannan thanks for the welcome!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Sights of labourdoorstep outside their own constituencies:

Harriet: Westminster North, Finchley
    Abbott (wearing pink): Finchley
    Lammy: Dagenham
    Bryant: Brentford and Isleworth
    General Secretary: Brentford and Isleworth, Ealing Central
    Berger: Wirral West
    Reynolds: the 2 Plymouth seats
    St Helens North candidate: Wirral South, Wirral West
    Twigg: Keighley
    Dugher: Dewsbury
    Morden (Newport East): Vale of Glamorgan
    Creasy: Ilford North
    Khan: Enfield North
    Benn: Halifax
    Malhotra (Feltham and Heston): Brentford
    Hunt: Milton Keynes
    Flint: Glasgow
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited April 2015
    RodCrosby said:

If he resigns, the Leader of the Opposition is called to form a government, whether or not that government is likely to survive.

That is one view. Another view is that the person invited to form the new government is the person the resigning Prime Minister advises the sovereign to commission, and that if no advice is tendered, then it is a matter for the sovereign. Constitutional conventions are by their nature flexible. If an established Prime Minister cannot command a majority in the House of Commons, he may be commissioned to form a new administration including other parties (1931), or he may tender his resignation while another in his party does the same (1940). There is no set of rules that will govern what will occur if no party has an overall majority after the election. There are merely guidelines, which are by their nature adaptable to the circumstances.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, I subjected myself to 51 seconds of it, but that was as much as my masochistic streak could endure.

Welcome to pb.com, Mr. Apocalypse.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    I have been watching the debates on defence,home affairs and so on on BBC two.

It's great when they have a green spokespeople on,they policies are out of this world and they made me laugh.

Do people voting for the greens really know about they policies.
  • Options

I was actively cringing for about 80% of that. Ed looked shit-scared when he was walking up the stairs.
  • Options
    This Miliband/Brand stuff isn't really aimed at any of us here, its for the Green/DNV waverers. It's like the Telegraph stuff Dave does aimed at the UKIP/Con switchers.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FdbH4rN9b4

Head spinning gibberish. They both look a bit confused.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I was actively cringing for about 80% of that. Ed looked shit-scared when he was walking up the stairs.
    Did the interview air?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Anorak said:

Did the interview air?
    Trailer downthread.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It's going to be fun watching the party leaders sucking up to Nigel Dodds and the DUP while secretly (or not so secretly) detesting the social conservatism of his party.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

Did the interview air?
    Trailer downthread.
    Not sure I want to click on it... :cold_sweat:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This Miliband/Brand stuff isn't really aimed at any of us here, its for the Green/DNV waverers. It's like the Telegraph stuff Dave does aimed at the UKIP/Con switchers.

Myabe, but there is still a negative impact on "Ed as a statesman". The sort of thing that pushes up the stay-at-homes. No way they're voting for those Tory Bastards, but buggered if they're going to vote for that Weird Tool.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's going to be fun watching the party leaders sucking up to Nigel Dodds and the DUP while secretly (or not so secretly) detesting the social conservatism of his party.

I imagine they'd prefer a confidence and supply arrangement, rather than a full blown coalition.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Anorak said:

RobD said:

Anorak said:

Did the interview air?
    Trailer downthread.
    Not sure I want to click on it... :cold_sweat:
    Go for it!

Brand manages to gives the impression of being someone who's not quite as clever as he thinks he is.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The DUP have sounded by far the most reasonable party about the SNP - not that they'd ever do a deal with them, but Robinson and Dodds thoughts echoed mine on some of the tactics used wrt them at this election.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,397
    Speedy said:

Jo Swinson?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,942
    RobD said:

That does raise a point: how does one address Sir Sunil Dr. Prasannan? Doctor Sir? Sir Dr.? Surname or first name?

Debretts says that the academic title comes first, however they use Professor in this instance.

http://www.debretts.com/forms-address/titles/knight
    I've had this problem in the past - was I Cllr Dr or Dr Cllr. We also have locally a Cllr Baroness!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I see in the trailer that Brand is attacking Amazon and of course he trotts out the nonsense of they paid 0.00x % on x BILLION SALES...not profit, sales....I wish a politician would turn around and say oi you f##king muppet sales does not equal profit and companies pay tax on profit.

Amazon genuinely don't make much of a profit, as they sell things with such a tiny markup. Most industry analysts say they continue to act like a startup, even though they aren't and are urging them to actually focus on making profits. And even the VAT advantage they used to be able to make use of is no more.

Oh and btw...you can get my new movie on Amazon Instant Play...its a bargain...and I promise I will pay all my taxes due on that ;-)
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    How many kitchens does Brand have?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Mr. F, lots of Americans are apparently calling daughters Khaleesi.

Which is stupid, as it's a title.

As is Arthur, mind...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

I feel inadequate!

I'm even more inadequate: Rob D, MPhys (Exon), PhD (Exon), FRAS, MInstP

BTW- you forget your PB knighthood!
    One of the worst cases of diplomatosis that I have seen in years. I prescribe a total walletectomy as per graduate tax proposals...
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Having considered it I am pretty sure it will put off as many people as it attracts. It may even attract some votes where Labour don't need them and lose votes in marginal s. Wonder how big the broxtowe Russell brand fan club is?
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

The DUP have sounded by far the most reasonable party about the SNP - not that they'd ever do a deal with them, but Robinson and Dodds thoughts echoed mine on some of the tactics used wrt them at this election.
    The DUP's demands can be represented by a single number.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

If the Anti-Coalition leads by more than 10, then the NEC should not have any objection. After all, nothing happens without the SNP. In fact, very similar to LD 2010.

It is the abiding failure of the LD 2010 that they are in the soup they are in. No one apart from Tories [ and why shouldn't they ? ] are thanking them.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Juncker is a politician, and gave politicians' answers. He clearly remains opposed to any major treaty change, which Cameron's proposed renegotiation would involve. He has not opened the door to anything.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Grandiose said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

666? :bawling::naughty::dizzy:

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,342
    edited April 2015
    No question the polls have moved slightly towards Con - not just over the last 24 hours but over a longer period too.

If we look at Rob's excellent graphs:

- 15 day graph - the latest 15 day period ended yesterday and showed the first Con lead since 2012. Only a very small one of 0.09% but still it is the first Con lead.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v1-aXNoGwZSLOIWziLoqq9rbN3MHg6qezWKbjsAkunw/edit?pli=1#gid=1614647044

- 7 day graph - here we have less data so it is less reliable - we are 4 days into the latest 7 day period - but after 4 days the Con lead is 0.7% - comfortably the highest since the graph started.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1v1-aXNoGwZSLOIWziLoqq9rbN3MHg6qezWKbjsAkunw/edit?pli=1#gid=457975153

OK, these are very small leads and Con needs to significantly extend them - but they do suggest that the momentum (both in the last few days and over a longer period) is in the Con direction.
  • Options
    Brand looks like he was about to bite him. He gets that weird stare-look dogs do before they attack. Most unnerving mannerism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FdbH4rN9b4

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Anorak said:

Juncker is a politician, and gave politicians' answers. He clearly remains opposed to any major treaty change, which Cameron's proposed renegotiation would involve. He has not opened the door to anything.
    He's trying to rule out changes to free movement, which is the one that matters. Unless we get concessions on immigration, we will lose any EU referendum put to the general public. Whatever his own views on Europe, he has to decide whether he wants the UK in or out.
  • Options

Anorak said:

That's one way of putting it but he has never said it before - maybe concerned that David Cameron may well continue as PM and knows that he will have to negotiate a settlement of some kind
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

The number of lashes for sodomy?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Anorak said:

It is also an irrelevancy what Juncker thinks or says. Ultimately it is the countries that constitute the EU who write any treaty.
  • Options
    :open_mouth:
    Anorak said:

Grandiose said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

666? :bawling::naughty::dizzy:

• Options
    edited April 2015
    rcs1000 said:

Grandiose said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Only after the court has determined that the vile ungodly perverts wont enjoy it. [sarcasm, for the avoidance of doubt]
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,017
    My sense is that we may be ever-so-slightly over-analysing the Brand/Miliband conflab.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited April 2015

Anorak said:

That's one way of putting it but he has never said it before - maybe concerned that David Cameron may well continue as PM and knows that he will have to negotiate a settlement of some kind
    Part of his platform for becoming President of the Commission was negotiating a deal for the UK, if I recall correctly. Anyway, as another poster said, it does not matter what his views are. The man has no support in the UK, and has no legitimacy to govern this country. It is like the complaint about the Conservatives in Scotland pre-1997, but multiplied many times.
  • Options
    When is the Watford "Named" poll coming out :D ?
  • Options
    Is gorgeous George expected to win ?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,337
    rcs1000 said:

Grandiose said:

Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

I suspect that strokes is the technical term, of the birch I hasten to add.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,267
    Does anyone else think the media has got its priorities wrong? The focus seems to be on Scotland, Wales and London. Yet we all know that the battles that really matter are going to be in the Midlands, Yorkshire and Lancashire.

I know that the results in Scotland will get a lot of coverage on election night, but in reality it won't make much difference to who gets into Downing Street. I just hope on election night the focus is where it matters.
  • Options
    slade said:

RobD said:

Debretts says that the academic title comes first, however they use Professor in this instance.

http://www.debretts.com/forms-address/titles/knight
    I've had this problem in the past - was I Cllr Dr or Dr Cllr. We also have locally a Cllr Baroness!
    Lord/Lady Councillor, Baron/Baroness X
This discussion has been closed.