Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Deputy PM after the election betting

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,917
    Philip Thompson

"Increased numbers of buy to let landlords increase the cost of buying homes and reduce the costs of renting homes. Its basic supply and demand, the supply of homes available to let increases and the demand for homes to buy increases."

How does it reduce the cost of renting when the renters could otherwise have bought?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,453

DavidL said:

Is taffy still there,it looks like the tories did get the Cameron speech out,it looks like sky showed it live ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TZC08GRpM

That doesn't look like a man lacking in enthusiasm and determination to me.
    He has got his shirt sleeves up and he isn't wearing a tie. This man is serious!
    Well yes. But I don't think I have ever seen him so fired up. Backs against the wall time, that is when Cameron usually gets going. 11 days of that could make a difference.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    chestnut said:

surbiton said:

Looks like you asked them to leave your house !

:smile:

It could have been worse for Ed.

The younger one is a borderline Tory switcher. 51% tax (incl student loan) at 26 years of age.

What chance do they have at those punitive rates?

But the £9000 pa fees and hence higher loans were introduced by the Tories and their sidekicks.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · 1m1 minute ago
    #Conservatives and #Labour fine-detail in ELBOW (Electoral LeaderBoard Of the Week) since August. Lab lead 0.6%

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/592413755214004225

The Elbow as always is the Gold Standard. EICIPM.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455

Dair said:

The 'rampant buy-to-let market' has increased supply and reduced rents.

Do we really have to explain the most basic facts of economics again and again?

Utter nonsense. The supply is fixed in any given time period.
    No its not you're showing your ignorance of economics and even basic logic.

Increased buy to lets increase the proportion of homes available to let versus the proportion of homes available to buy.

Without landlords, more property would be owned or just available to buy.

Increased numbers of buy to let landlords increase the cost of buying homes and reduce the costs of renting homes. Its basic supply and demand, the supply of homes available to let increases and the demand for homes to buy increases.
    Pardon me for interrumpting, but if the number of homes available to buy falls, doesn't the demand for homes to rent also increase, not just the supply? Or are those people who would otherwise be buying living in tents somewhere?
    But people who want to buy are still buying.
    In my experience, they are most certainly not. I can't count the number of 30something Londoners I know who would like to own a home, who are renting, and who expect to be doing so either forever, or until their parents die, depending on their background.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,214
    Dair said:

tlg86 said:

We stopped building motorways to relieve congestion because we worked out that it just encouraged more road usage.

Correlation is not causation.

The exact same expansion in car ownership has been seen in every country relative to incomes regardless of the level of road construction. This myth seriously hampers the development of the UK.
    Car ownership does not necessarily equate to car usage. I hate the M6 stretch through Staffordshire and Cheshire but I'm not sure building a new motorway between the M6 and M1 would help the UK. What is worth doing is fixing pinch points like the Catthorpe Interchange.

Incidentally, car ownership in London fell between 2001 and 2011. I wanted to write something in my method of travel to work publication that London was 'post car' - but that wasn't sanctioned! Clearly the integrated public transport system makes not having a car more realistic, but I did wonder if the cost of housing (rents and mortgages) was forcing people to have to give up a car or a second car.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census-analysis/method-of-travel-to-work-in-england-and-wales/art-method-of-travel-to-work.html#tab-Commuting-by-car-or-van
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Dair said:

Utter nonsense from you. There are more and more rental homes coming onto the market. Private renting has increased in each of the past two decades.
    Less than two weeks to the election date and Labour suddenly discover a problem with 'rip off rents'. This after 5 years in opposition and 13 in govt (where its own policies brought about the increase in investment in rental properties). A significant proportion of private landlords are honest to goodness plain ordinary people. Its housing association chiefs who live high on the hog.

HA chiefs on whopping 6 figure salaries. Just like the charity fat cats, handing out pennies and food to the poor. Disgraceful, and hypocritical isn't it?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,917
    edited April 2015
    David

"Well yes. But I don't think I have ever seen him so fired up. Backs against the wall time, that is when Cameron usually gets going. 11 days of that could make a difference."

If only he didn't look so effete or sound so phony

Like Little Lord Fauntleroy doing the Haka
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    surbiton said:

But the £9000 pa fees and hence higher loans were introduced by the Tories and their sidekicks.

Put the Tory/Labour thing aside for a minute.

It's too much for the young ones.

The people who did it in the 70's and 80s got a free ride, and the young people are being asked to pay for it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,032
    With the UKIP VI improving from a decent base in the last week, Clacton thought of as in the bag and the positive polls in South Thanet & Thurrock, I cant believe that over 3.5 seats is odds against

Add to that the fact that UKIP lead in Rochester, Castle Point, South Basildon and Boston on LA raw data, it seems incredible.. I would advise a big bet at bigger than even money
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Cyclefree said:

Isn' the answer to intimidation not to give into it, rather than the opposite?

The answer is not to destroy the market in the first place.

Labour's rent controls of the 1970s were the worst single thing that any government has done in the 50 years I've been watching politics. An utter, unmitigated, no-holds-barred disaster, with no upside whatsoever. They effectively wiped out the rental market, and as a result many properties were left empty. They created Rachmanism.
    Labour in the 1970s caused something to happen in the 1950s? No wonder Timelords vote Labour.
    Boys From The Blackstuff managed to represent the evils of Thatcherism, despite it being written before she took power.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    NoEasyDay said:

EPG said:

Dair said:

That is a huge problem. Every graudates first choice is London job and if they don't get it they somehow feel they have failed.

I somehow doubt that is the case in Germany, where you have Berlin, Frankfuhrt, etc each famed for different industries.

Indeed and this is the core of the problem.

Economic illiterates above glibly claim it's just about supply and demand without any deeper understanding of how this works. The Demand for housing is not set by the price, it is set by the employment opportunities and the price of commuting and in both of those areas the UK has badly screwed up.

The rents problem is purely a London problem. And it's been allowed to develop because central government has refused to do anything about the over-centralised nature of the UK's focus on London. It could be partially solved quite easily by moving every central government function out of London.

It can also be solved in the short term by drastic reductions in commuting costs into London, shifting demand from London to not just the suburbs but the more distant but commutable towns surrounding London would have an immediate impact on the demand and significantly drop rent costs in central London and it's suburbs while having a less sharp impact on the towns further out.

However, the LibLabConKip won't do this. Their entire economic strategy and their predominant Growth mechanism is based on the fantasy of every inflating house prices. They have no compulsion to change this model until it breaks and that could be many years away.

Until then, voting for LibLabConKip you will just get more of the same.
    America built Washington D.C.; it didn't mean New York diminished, and the same is true of Brasilia and Canberra.

The kids don't want to live in Southend or Rochester even with 50p train tickets.
    All talk of rent, house prices, demand supply, is utter nonsense if its not factoring in immigration. We have here a classic case of economic diarrhoea.
    Yes, a hell of a lot of the renters in London are immigrants. Eject them and watch people's property-pensions and REITs go bye-bye. London goes back to its position of the 70s, as a city being slowly euthanised by anti-development industrial policy.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Cyclefree said:

Labour's rent controls of the 1970s were the worst single thing that any government has done in the 50 years I've been watching politics. An utter, unmitigated, no-holds-barred disaster, with no upside whatsoever. They effectively wiped out the rental market, and as a result many properties were left empty. They created Rachmanism.
    Labour in the 1970s caused something to happen in the 1950s? No wonder Timelords vote Labour.
    Nabavi had a "brain fade". Tories are going through this sort of behaviour now.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,825
    IOS said:

John

Rents are flying up 10% a year minimum. And with an ever increasing supply rents are going up no matter what.

Sorry IOS, this is simply balls.

ONS figures show national rents rising at less than CPI for more than a decade now, never mind RPI. The only region is that anywhere near CPI is London.

Therefore Ed Milibands rent cap proposals are a simple political appendix, that will achieve nothing for tenants.

As for banning letting agent fees, that was done in Scotland in 2012, in the face of warnings that visible fees up front would now become invisible levies on long term rents, because work done has to be paid for and the only money coming in is the rent from the tenant.

Scotland now has the greatest rent increases outside London and the South-East.

Miliband will repeat the cockup.

Labour does not have a clue on this.

We learnt this from the disastrous 2004 Housing Act, which introduced landlord registration schemes which by some bureaucratic miracle cost about 1000% more in England than Scotland. At least Scotland got that bit more right.

It may get a few votes from gullibkes who believe the landlord spankers, but it will not help tenants.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,552
    Oh you'll love this graph!

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · 9s10 seconds ago
    #Labour leads in ELBOW split into YouGov polls, and non-YouGov, since August. YG recently more favourable to Labour

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/592419947663491072
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited April 2015
    Serious question...at last GE, somebody ran a live chat room on GE night, rather than overpowering PB.com. Loads of info was posted and fun was had by all.

Is anybody willing to run one again this time? If somebody really wants to go to town, may I suggest a twitch stream. I presume OGH will be otherwise engaged, but perhaps somebody with all the data (that the MSM wont have) at their fingertips, would be really interesting.

Last time, we were getting accurate info about results before BBC or Sky.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,062
    Roger said:

Philip Thompson

"Increased numbers of buy to let landlords increase the cost of buying homes and reduce the costs of renting homes. Its basic supply and demand, the supply of homes available to let increases and the demand for homes to buy increases."

How does it reduce the cost of renting when the renters could otherwise have bought?

A new BTL property increases the supply of homes on the rental market by 1 (so that does increase supply which would lead to a slight fall in prices if demand remained constant)....
    However it also increases demand for rental houses by 1 (from the person who failed to buy the house he was outbid on)..

so in theory the market remains in equilibrium. If only the new renter was happy with his lot...

As I said before the only way to solve this is to build. And build and build anywhere in London or close to...
  • Options

Dair said:

Increased buy to lets increase the proportion of homes available to let versus the proportion of homes available to buy.

Increased numbers of buy to let landlords increase the cost of buying homes and reduce the costs of renting homes. Its basic supply and demand, the supply of homes available to let increases and the demand for homes to buy increases.
    Pardon me for interrumpting, but if the number of homes available to buy falls, doesn't the demand for homes to rent also increase, not just the supply? Or are those people who would otherwise be buying living in tents somewhere?
    In my experience, they are most certainly not. I can't count the number of 30something Londoners I know who would like to own a home, who are renting, and who expect to be doing so either forever, or until their parents die, depending on their background.
    It's funny. They could buy in many parts of South or East London quite cheaply, never mind the home counties and points beyond. But I'm guessing that's not really kosher for the people we're talking about. In which case, we're talking about status competition for one of the most desirable assets in the world, a prime London residential property.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Roger said:

David

"Well yes. But I don't think I have ever seen him so fired up. Backs against the wall time, that is when Cameron usually gets going. 11 days of that could make a difference."

If only he didn't look so effete or sound so phony

He looked and sounded fine and sincere to me. Even if one does find him effete and phony, that speech (limited in its impact, if any at all, it will be) sounded markedly different to how he has sounded to date in the campaign. Some people will always think he sounds phony, but others do not always think that, and seeing more of what he sounded like today might help. I doubt it, but it might.

After all, a lot of people thought Ed looked and sounded terrible, but he proved them wrong in the debates with his Mr Super Reasonable tone.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

Dair said:

Utter nonsense from you. There are more and more rental homes coming onto the market. Private renting has increased in each of the past two decades.
    Less than two weeks to the election date and Labour suddenly discover a problem with 'rip off rents'. This after 5 years in opposition and 13 in govt (where its own policies brought about the increase in investment in rental properties). A significant proportion of private landlords are honest to goodness plain ordinary people. Its housing association chiefs who live high on the hog.

HA chiefs on whopping 6 figure salaries. Just like the charity fat cats, handing out pennies and food to the poor. Disgraceful, and hypocritical isn't it?
    The pay of HA Chiefs is a joke. They have a ongoing and permanent demand for their product. They have to demonstrate no skill. Yet they earn six figures. Most of the modern HAs were created under LSVT under the previous labour government . Another legacy.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

DavidL said:

Is taffy still there,it looks like the tories did get the Cameron speech out,it looks like sky showed it live ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24TZC08GRpM

That doesn't look like a man lacking in enthusiasm and determination to me.
    He has got his shirt sleeves up and he isn't wearing a tie. This man is serious!
    I wonder, when he looks in a mirror, whether he tells himself what he thinks he wants to hear.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,825

Cyclefree said:

The previous account is a gloss.

There have been bouts of rent control after the war, in the 50s-60s, rent freezes in the time of high inflation in the 1970s, and consolidation of it all around 1977 on.

All of it made investment extraordinarily difficult.

Thatcher culled the sacred cow in 1988.

We still have ideological dinosaurs who want to return to an period they never lived through.
  • Options

Oh you'll love this graph!

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · 9s10 seconds ago
    #Labour leads in ELBOW split into YouGov polls, and non-YouGov, since August. YG recently more favourable to Labour

htps://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/592419947663491072

I do love it. Some people are going to be clinging to or ignoring YouGov by the end of this. Others will just be going EICIPM of course.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

Dair said:

Yeah, but who gives a flying pluck about London?
    Seriously though, you can't extrapolate from London to the rest of the UK.

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

MPs at the marathon today

Alun Cairns 03:38:25
    Dan Jarvis 03:44:55 (PB)
    Timpson Edward 03:56:42
    Graham Evans 05:28:30
    Richard Drax 06:18:09 (debut)

Well done to them all, red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple or sky blue pink with yellow dots on.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    MAttW

My point was explicitly about the London housing market. Specifically Zone 1 - 3 flats
  • Options
    Flightpath1Flightpath1 Posts: 207
    edited April 2015
    Dair said:

That is a huge problem. Every graudates first choice is London job and if they don't get it they somehow feel they have failed.

I somehow doubt that is the case in Germany, where you have Berlin, Frankfuhrt, etc each famed for different industries.

Indeed and this is the core of the problem.

The rents problem is purely a London problem. And it's been allowed to develop because central government has refused to do anything about the over-centralised nature of the UK's focus on London. It could be partially solved quite easily by moving every central government function out of London.

blah blah blah etc

We have seen govt departments and agencies moved out of London.
    We have had decades of regional policy. We continue to have regional policy and we see the tories looking to extend regional autonomy in the north of England.

London has always been a large part of our economy and will always be. That's why it is there. History and economics and geography. The same reasons are why Glasgow, Hull, Leeds, Bradford, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham and Bristol are what and where they are.
  • Options

Serious question...at last GE, somebody ran a live chat room on GE night, rather than overpowering PB.com. Loads of info was posted and fun was had by all.

Is anybody willing to run one again this time? If somebody really wants to go to town, may I suggest a twitch stream. I presume OGH will be otherwise engaged, but perhaps somebody with all the data (that the MSM wont have) at their fingertips, would be really interesting.

Was a good thing last time. I'll look into hosting options.
  • Options

Touch wood, but Mike and Robert have spent a lot of time and money boosting the PB servers.

We coped with record traffic on indyref day and night.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,360
    notme said:

Cyclefree said:

Boys From The Blackstuff managed to represent the evils of Thatcherism, despite it being written before she took power.
    No it wasn't.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Somebody had a legacy IRC channel that was still live. It was a good thing.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Nicola Sturgeon: "I suspect Ed Miliband will change his tune once the votes are cast."

No sh it Sherlock
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Touch wood, but Mike and Robert have spent a lot of time and money boosting the PB servers.

The chat room seemed to work really well last time. Perhaps a load a chat plugin?

The only problem with having to post / refresh the thread, is it loses ability to really get a flow going and interactions between posters.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Dair said:

It's funny. They could buy in many parts of South or East London quite cheaply, never mind the home counties and points beyond. But I'm guessing that's not really kosher for the people we're talking about. In which case, we're talking about status competition for one of the most desirable assets in the world, a prime London residential property.
    I'm talking about people who can't afford to buy in places like Walthamstow, Kilburn, and Streatham, not people who have their hearts set on Kensington and Hampstead. There was briefly a trend for them decamping to Brockley, but looking at Rightmove the cheapest 2-bed semi is £450k so I think I now realise why that fashion ended.

Yes, they could shave a fair amount off the price by going to the less pleasant bits of the home counties, granted. Maybe even half the price if they went to somewhere like Chelmsford. I will grant you that a large part of the reason for not doing so is simply that they don't, in fact, want to live in Chelmsford, but the £10k annual cost of season tickets for a couple might also be a factor, might it not?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I am very torn about Milliband's rent control proposals.

My parents' flat was subject to rent controls, something for which we were eternally grateful when the new landlord (a total bastard) tried to force us out through neglect so bad that at one point the local council declared the property unfit for human habitation and ordered him to do the necessary repairs. And my very first professional legal experience was working for the North Kensington Law Centre helping tenants in some pretty scummy properties in Notting Hill and Ladbroke Grove before they became chi chi. (Google the Claneicarde Gardens fire to get an idea of the sort of stuff that happened.)

So I have little love for poor landlords.

Milliband has rightly identified a key issue - housing.

One issue though is that rent controls are great for those tenants who benefit from them but not so great if the supply of good quality rental property dries up.

What we are going to do about increasing housing supply is the big unanswered question.

Clanricarde was a slum, because the tenants were paying such low rents that it wasn't economically worthwhile for the landlords to spent any money on the properties without making massive losses. Protected tenants were only paying a few quid for flats even in the early 90's
    I know for a fact that your last sentence simply is not true. The rent tribunals could and did increase rents. What they did not do was charge the sort of silly rents that were being seen then and now and which has caused a real problem in places like London, as MaxPB has pointed out.

Clanricarde was a property where the landlord had so little care for the people he stuffed in there that he did not take even basic fire precautions so that people died as a result of his negligence.

I'm of the view that if you are going to become a landlord there are certain minimum standards of decency you should comply with.

When were you at North Ken?
    First half of the 1980's.

I suspect many of the 'rogue' landlords and Winklers I knew around there a decade later were the same faces. But I won't name them here!
    I expect so! Were you also at the law centre?

• Options
    The average rent increase is 2.1% and the average tenancy lasts three years.

Ed really is the master of making something out of nothing.
  • Options

The chat room seemed to work really well last time. Perhaps a load a chat plugin?

The only problem with having to post / refresh the thread, is it loses ability to really get a flow going and interactions between posters.
    That's far too technical for me, I'll ask Robert
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,453
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Nicola Sturgeon: "I suspect Ed Miliband will change his tune once the votes are cast."

No sh it Sherlock
    My daughter has been at the Sherlock convention in London since Friday. Had an absolutely fabulous time meeting the cast and writers. Just a brilliant event.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

notme said:

Cyclefree said:

No it wasn't.
    Just agree with him,he is re-writing history. Blackstuff was written pre-Thatcher, Boys from the Blackstuff was written when Thatcher was PM. But hey, don't let them there facts get in the way.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    weejonnie said:

Well done to them all, red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple or sky blue pink with yellow dots on.
    All very worthy but surprising that MP's in marginal seats are taking a weekend out at the stage of the campaign to run a marathon
  • Options
    Ed is going to scrap stamp duty for first time buyers
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited April 2015
    It's a shame the post-war governments economically castrated Birmingham. From today's perspective the decisions taken in the past look insane;

"By 1957 the council had explicitly accepted that it was obliged "to restrain the growth of population and employment potential within the city."

http://spatial-economics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/booming-birmingham-and-need-for.html
  • Options

I'm talking about people who can't afford to buy in places like Walthamstow, Kilburn, and Streatham, not people who have their hearts set on Kensington and Hampstead. There was briefly a trend for them decamping to Brockley, but looking at Rightmove the cheapest 2-bed semi is £450k so I think I now realise why that fashion ended.

Yes, they could shave a fair amount off the price by going to the less pleasant bits of the home counties, granted. Maybe even half the price if they went to somewhere like Chelmsford. I will grant you that a large part of the reason for not doing so is simply that they don't, in fact, want to live in Chelmsford, but the £10k annual cost of season tickets for a couple might also be a factor, might it not?

Very pedantic, I know, but an annual season ticket from Chelmsford is £3,728. Still a lot, but you can probably save that in rent/mortgage repayments.
  • Options

Yes. On the other hand, I assume the reason why £5k can be charged for season tickets from Chelmsford is because plenty of people are happy to buy season tickets and can afford to do so. In context, Chelmsford is probably in the top two to five per cent of most desirable areas to live in across Europe.
  • Options
    woody662 said:

weejonnie said:

All very worthy but surprising that MP's in marginal seats are taking a weekend out at the stage of the campaign to run a marathon
    I don't know campaigning, but without a couple of days off even at this stage to refresh and clear your head, I would have thought it would take a superhuman to maintain and even increase their level of activity and focus going into the final stretch. Perhaps a marathon was their way of doing that.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

What every first time buyer? Even ones buying £1 million homes?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    tlg86 said:

Very pedantic, I know, but an annual season ticket from Chelmsford is £3,728. Still a lot, but you can probably save that in rent/mortgage repayments.
    I was adding £1k for the London travelcard if your job isn't in Liverpool Street and you don't want to die on a bicycle.
  • Options
    Pong said:

It's a shame the post-war governments economically castrated Birmingham. From today's perspective the decisions taken in the past look insane;

http://spatial-economics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/booming-birmingham-and-need-for.html

This was basically the thinking of post-war economic planning. Just ban people from creating jobs in popular, well-skilled areas, and they'll inevitably create them in unpopular, unskilled areas. And both parties bought into this? Daft.
  • Options

An announcement every six hours.

He knows he's losing, doesn't he?
  • Options
    EPG said:

Yes. On the other hand, I assume the reason why £5k can be charged for season tickets from Chelmsford is because plenty of people are happy to buy season tickets and can afford to do so. In context, Chelmsford is probably in the top two to five per cent of most desirable areas to live in across Europe.
    It might have something to do with the number of people who work in London but can't afford to live there.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

notme said:

Cyclefree said:

No it wasn't.
    Just agree with him,he is re-writing history. Blackstuff was written pre-Thatcher, Boys from the Blackstuff was written when Thatcher was PM. But hey, don't let them there facts get in the way.
    Not necessarily.

"The television play The Black Stuff was originally written by Bleasdale for BBC1's Play for Today anthology series in 1978. After filming however, the play languished untransmitted until being screened on 2 January 1980.[2] It concerned a group of Liverpudlian tarmac layers (hence slang: 'the black stuff') on a job near Middlesbrough.

The acclaim that The Black Stuff received on its eventual transmission led to the commissioning of the sequel serial, of which Bleasdale had already written a considerable amount.". (My emphasis).
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I was adding £1k for the London travelcard if your job isn't in Liverpool Street and you don't want to die on a bicycle.
    Fair point. I'm very lucky in that I work near Covent Garden and commute into Waterloo which leaves me just a 15 minute walk.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Just seen Ed on Marr leave Boris as the blustering, unkempt dishevelled mess he is.

Very satisfying.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2015
    EPG said:

Dair said:

But for many, Commuting is what the little people do. Thousands of 'trendy' 20 and 30 somethings feel it's their right to live in Zones 1 to 3 near hip restaurants and bars.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Does his announcement apply in Scotland?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,062
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Fair point. I'm very lucky in that I work near Covent Garden and commute into Waterloo which leaves me just a 15 minute walk.
    Yep. That's one reason why the HS trains from Kent in St Pancreas haven't taken off. Many people assumed commuters would take the faster train but it isn't faster if you work near London Bridge, Victoria, Charing Cross or Cannon Street all of which are served during Rush Hour...
  • Options

EPG said:

It might have something to do with the number of people who work in London but can't afford to live there.
    That's supply. Like in every significant city, there are more jobs than accommodations in the centre, particularly for well-paid people. Let's say there are a million commuters from outside London every day; they can't all fit even if one were able to fix a low price.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,164
    edited April 2015
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

London also has the best weather in the UK (bar, perhaps, a few sunny spots in Sussex or Hampshire).

It really is unfair, but there it is.

Thought you might have said Cornwall,right off to watch poldark ;-)

Egads, no. Cornwall has a nice climate by British standards (not exactly hard) but the Cornish have a special word for fine, light drizzle ("mizzle"), for a very good reason.

Tho it is noticeable how they've managed to film the entire Poldark series on the three cloudless days of the year, west of the Tamar.

Point of order, Mr T: my family used the word 'mizzle' to mean fine rain, and we're Derbyshire folk. So I checked in my book on the dialect of Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire and its in. So it'snot just Cornish.

Apparently it's from the Low German 'miseln' and Dutch 'miezelen'.

Oh, and Poldark was much better than I was expecting it to be.

Edit: although I've always loved the word 'grockle', which I've always been told is Cornish.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

notme said:

Cyclefree said:

No it wasn't.
    The sequel was actually written before the original Blackstuff was broadcast. All the key points of the story in the tv series come from the original screenplay.

It only became an indictment of the evils of Thatcherism with hindsight.
  • Options

Front page of the FT has it

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDi3wsvWgAAFarw.jpg
  • Options
    @paulhutcheon: Jim Murphy told the Sunday Times today there are around 15,000 members of @scottishlabour - he said 19,000 a few months back
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Its not very clear, but I think it says upto £300k.

Edit:- Have seen a high res version number, it says "starter homes" worth up to £300k. What is a starter home? Is that just FT filling or is that going to be on particular houses will count?
  • Options

EPG said:

Dair said:

But for many, Commuting is what the little people do. Thousands of 'trendy' 20 and 30 somethings feel it's their right to live in Zones 1 to 3 near hip restaurants and bars.
    I don't blame them, any more than I blame the oldies with two to three bedrooms each! Clearly, one way of life is fit for one demographic and the other for the other. But we need realism. Even if you'd want to, living in central London won't be affordable for almost any person in family-formation stage.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Some councils have the first postal votes opening sessions tomorrow.
    They are open face down....but agents can try and spy where the cross is....Kerry McCarthy will be kept away from twitter
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

Does his announcement apply in Scotland?
    if Nicola says so.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

notme said:

Cyclefree said:

No it wasn't.
    Not necessarily.

"The television play The Black Stuff was originally written by Bleasdale for BBC1's Play for Today anthology series in 1978. After filming however, the play languished untransmitted until being screened on 2 January 1980.[2] It concerned a group of Liverpudlian tarmac layers (hence slang: 'the black stuff') on a job near Middlesbrough.

The acclaim that The Black Stuff received on its eventual transmission led to the commissioning of the sequel serial, of which Bleasdale had already written a considerable amount.". (My emphasis).
    Thank you.

If Sunny Jim had won the election, the screen play would have still been broadcast, and the series commissioned, with identical themes. They just wouldnt have been able to blame it on Thatcher.
  • Options

On what page of the manifesto can we read the details?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

They are open face down....but agents can try and spy where the cross is....Kerry McCarthy will be kept away from twitter

Game on!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    eek said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Yep. That's one reason why the HS trains from Kent in St Pancreas haven't taken off. Many people assumed commuters would take the faster train but it isn't faster if you work near London Bridge, Victoria, Charing Cross or Cannon Street all of which are served during Rush Hour...
    And it is the flaw in HS2. If there is nobstation between Central London and Central Birmingham then no one can get on or off. We need more commuter line capacity than long distance.
  • Options

Which one of the manifestos?
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: For goodness' sake. Another idiot anti-market policy. Higher house prices for 1st-time buyers. Just grand. http://t.co/x6HDVetdml
  • Options

And how is this going to be paid for? Mansion tax? Bankers' bonus tax?

Won't it just push prices up?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Which one of the manifestos?
    The Asian LGBT one, and hence it only applies to people fitting those criteria?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,320

Do you know when final electorate numbers will be published? (Preferably by seat)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909

Same page as Libya post war crisis.

You are against the no stamp duty for first time buyers proposal?
  • Options

lol.

Take any & all anecdotes with a, umm;

http://tinyurl.com/me8a44g
  • Options

Why do they need to be opened at this stage?

• Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    weejonnie said:

Game on!
    Our Council started last week. Electoral Commission have banned telling on them. Spoilsports.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

I wonder why...
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Same page as Libya post war crisis.

You are against the no stamp duty for first time buyers proposal?
    Seems sensible...other than where is the loss of that current tax money going to recovered from? Mansion Tax? Bankers Bonus Tax?

Also, it is the deposit which is the really really big issue for many.
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: Windfall gains for sellers of entry-level houses. Inane, stupid and, no doubt, very popular. http://t.co/PMj3WB0zad
  • Options
    edited April 2015

eek said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

And it is the flaw in HS2. If there is nobstation between Central London and Central Birmingham then no one can get on or off. We need more commuter line capacity than long distance.
    Well, not yet at least.

(Don't tell Cheryl Gillian)
  • Options

where is the loss of that current tax money going to recovered from? Mansion Tax? Bankers Bonus Tax?

@skynewsniall: Scheme said to cost £225m each of the three years it'll be available. Paid for through tackling landlord tax avoidance, increasing tax (1/2)

@skynewsniall: paid by companies buying property on behalf of investors, raising stamp on buyers from outside EU, cutting LL wear and tear tax relief (2/2)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

All LAB promises are paid for so far unlike the £30bn black hole party..

So lets see where the funding comes from when launched tomorrow
  • Options
    Times Leader tomorrow talking about the "Tory Wobble".

If you have to talk about it, it is happening.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

where is the loss of that current tax money going to recovered from? Mansion Tax? Bankers Bonus Tax?

@skynewsniall: Scheme said to cost £225m each of the three years it'll be available. Paid for through tackling landlord tax avoidance, increasing tax (1/2)

@skynewsniall: paid by companies buying property on behalf of investors, raising stamp on buyers from outside EU, cutting LL wear and tear tax relief (2/2)
    "raising stamp on buyers from outside EU" - going to be intersting to see if that is legal.

and the mythical getting money from tax dodging....because it is just so easy to do that.
  • Options
    As if by magic. Lab promise funded again

• Options
    @skynewsniall: Ed also plans to give FTBs first dibs on new property in their area, and tackle foreign buyers buying up property before locals have chance

@jonwalker121: I find it hard to imagine how giving first-time-buyers first call on homes works. Will sellers have to tell second-time-buyers to go away?

@londonstatto: @JohnRentoul "populist" means 'popular but wrong", doesn't it?
  • Options

Yes, another Labour promise funded purely by magic.

I have some beans if you are interested?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,320
    For all parties it's daft asking how Mickey Mouse things will be paid for.

This is £225m per year.

On Friday it was announced that the deficit for 2014/15 (and thus the "starting point" going forward) was £3bn lower than had been forecast just 4 weeks earlier.

The whole thing is a total nonsense.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

All LAB promises are paid for so far unlike the £30bn black hole party..

So lets see where the funding comes from when launched tomorrow
    I know you're a Lab supporter but, really, the idea that their proposals are any more funded than anyone else's is for the birds.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@skynewsniall: Ed also plans to give FTBs first dibs on new property in their area, and tackle foreign buyers buying up property before locals have chance

@jonwalker121: I find it hard to imagine how giving first-time-buyers first call on homes works. Will sellers have to tell second-time-buyers to go away?

@londonstatto: @JohnRentoul "populist" means 'popular but wrong", doesn't it?

How will that be legal? Signs in the estate agent...Opportunity to buy in new development...No Irish, no dogs....no johnny foreigners.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    A unicorn for every garden and an owl for every boy.

The parties are just being silly now. They know they are never going to have to deliver as no one will have a majority.
  • Options
    Desperate Ed.

Labour are losing,
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

@paulhutcheon: Jim Murphy told the Sunday Times today there are around 15,000 members of @scottishlabour - he said 19,000 a few months back

SNP membership has probably increased by more than 4000 in that time so probably not all down to that.
  • Options

Nah, this is crap compared to the Tory unfunded unicorns. How did Lord A describe it the other day. Labour being fiscally responsible and having everything funded, Tory Party is spraying unfunded things around like confettii. The world has gone mad.
  • Options

A unicorn for every garden and an owl for every boy.

The parties are just being silly now. They know they are never going to have to deliver as no one will have a majority.

Completely, one hundred per cent correct. Vote for the party you trust best in coalition negotiations doesn't have the same ring as a slogan, but it has the merit of truth!
  • Options
    Sunny Hundal @sunny_hundal · 18m 18 minutes ago
    Labour party's biggest announcement (yet) tomorrow on one million new homes and social housing
  • Options
    Labour promising 1 million housing starts by 2020.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

EPG said:

Dair said:

How dare young people expect to have the same standard of living as their parents. Living in central London should be a right reserved for the global super rich, and God forbid they should pay any taxes during their brief sojourn here, or asylum seekers like Jihadi John who should also be subsidised by the English middle classes.
This discussion has been closed.