Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Deputy PM after the election betting

Comments

• Options
    Flightpath1Flightpath1 Posts: 207

Mr. NorthWales, Labour's incompetent devolution.

The SNP are (in terms of seats) the only real break with the past, or will be, at the election. That's the game-changer.

There are other factors, but that's the big one.

You are correct and it illustrates why in so many ways Labour have been a total disaster for our country. Never mind half baked devolution leaving them being beholden to a left wing SNP which wants to destroy our country, lets not forget that the Trade Unions are labours biggest paymasters as well.
    Its hard to conceive of any benefit to anyone (except labour's narrow vested interests) in voting Labour.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,185
    As an aside, and I realise this is a contentious claim, I think Farron might suffer an above average swing against him in Westmoreland, and therefore the evens on him looks very skinny.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Scott_P said:

This depends far more than usual on who's going to keep their seat doesn't it?

Like in '97 when Portillo was a favourite to be post-election leader but lost his seat instead, there is a risk of a Portillo moment for many would-be LD favourites.

Maybe it will be one of the new 2015 intake...
    If there are any actual LD gains - unlikely to say the least - then whoever manages that should become leader, definitely. If they can go against such massive national swings, they are clearly destined to lead the party back from the darkness. So possibly Dorothy Thornhill or...or...Maajid Nawaz? I cannot recall any other potential gains being mentioned (which is not to say even those two seem likely).
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Alan Johnson should be on the list.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064
    I haven't watched the Marr show but is the assumption that all will be exciting when Dave leaves the stage?

Pitt and Fox
    Gladstone and Disraeli
    Ed and Boris
  • Options

Scott_P said:

This depends far more than usual on who's going to keep their seat doesn't it?

Like in '97 when Portillo was a favourite to be post-election leader but lost his seat instead, there is a risk of a Portillo moment for many would-be LD favourites.

Maybe it will be one of the new 2015 intake...
    Will there be that many LD incomers?

Surely most LD seats will be won on an incumbent personal vote, I can't imagine any gains - and any retirements put the seat far more at risk of a loss. There'll be some retirements kept and many a gain or two, but not that many in total I suspect. Nowhere near as much as normal.
    Dorothy Thornhill is the only possible gain. The winning party in Watford could well be on less than 30%, and DT's personal vote is likely to get her close...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Alan Johnson should be on the list.

Do you think he's going to defect to the LibDems?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    edited April 2015
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, and I realise this is a contentious claim, I think Farron might suffer an above average swing against him in Westmoreland, and therefore the evens on him looks very skinny.

If Farron is losing his seat, the only other possible hold is Carmichael.

He looks a good bit safer than Laws at any rate to me (Lib Dems WON in the Euros in Orkney, Westmorland and Gibraltar)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Met Bristol West Labour candidate and team of canvassers, happy confident group leafleting on the fringe of the seat.

Can't say I have seen any Labour canvassers before, result could be closer than they think as Lab have rarely bothered to contest this end of the ward in past local or national elections.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Betting question: next LibDem leader; if it's not Farron, who will it be?

I'm still hopeful my Chris Huhne as next Lib Dem leader after Clegg betting slip might still be a winner.

But probably Norman Lamb or Vince if young Cardinals prefer old Bishops of Rome.
    If the LibDems get zero seats, your Huhne bet might come in...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Do you think Farron is a particularly popular local MP?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Met Bristol West Labour candidate and team of canvassers, happy confident group leafleting on the fringe of the seat.

Can't say I have seen any Labour canvassers before, result could be closer than they think as Lab have rarely bothered to contest this end of the ward in past local or national elections.

Easy Labour gain - at least a 5,000 majority, LibDems third.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

First time incumbency bonus in 2010?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,467

Plato said:

I :heart: this YouGov poll, I got it today...

What do you think will be the most likely cause of the apocalypse?
    Climate change
    Worldwide revolution
    Alien invasion
    Judgement day
    Nuclear war
    Zombies
    Something else
    Don’t think there will be an apocalypse
    No "50 SNP MPs"?

Like.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

He looks a good bit safer than Laws at any rate to me (Lib Dems WON in the Euros in Orkney, Westmorland and Gibraltar)
    Farron is completely safe,he is extremely well liked here, the posters are everywhere, and he is very active in the constituency,very safe hold
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It's a historically very Conservative seat, which Farron used to work hard before he went on the rubber chicken circuit to drum up his leadership chances. The last person that spent an entire parliament visiting constituency parties... was Lembit Opik.

Farron is a bit of a preening peacock.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,920
    Thinking about this apparently odd decision by Miliband to reject the best chance he'll ever have to form a government as PM I wonder whether he knows something we don't.

Perhaps he really thinks he is heading for a majority without SNP involvement. Certainly the polls aren't suggesting that but if not it doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    @Pulpstar: I hadn't realised the LibDems had won anywhere in the Euros! I'm amazed.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,024
    Mr. Roger, he isn't rejecting it. He's ruling out things people aren't offering, and saying he'd prefer things he will almost certainly accept if it gets him into Downing Street.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Farron is completely safe,he is extremely well liked here, the posters are everywhere, and he is very active in the constituency,very safe hold
    Montgomery was full of Opik posters too.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's a historically very Conservative seat, which Farron used to work hard before he went on the rubber chicken circuit to drum up his leadership chances. The last person that spent an entire parliament visiting constituency parties... was Lembit Opik.

Farron is a bit of a preening peacock.
    Historically Conservative it may be presumably from the days when rural voters backed anyone in a blue rosette. I think the days of the City boys sweeping the board in these kinds of seats are long gone.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Roger said:

Now that both the Tories and Labour have said they'll have nothing to do with the SNP it's a strange irony that after losing the referendum they'll now almost certainly be the single most important player at Westminster.

PS. It's difficult to know why Miliband has made this seemingly suicidal decision

Because he's crap?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Will there be that many LD incomers?

No, not likely.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Now that both the Tories and Labour have said they'll have nothing to do with the SNP it's a strange irony that after losing the referendum they'll now almost certainly be the single most important player at Westminster.

PS. It's difficult to know why Miliband has made this seemingly suicidal decision

Miliband hasn't. He did not rule out a deal this morning

@afneil: Ed Miliband on @MarrShow: "not interested" in doing supply & confidence deal with SNP. Fair enough. But not quite same as "I won't do one".
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited April 2015
    Roger said:

He knows that all the SNP has to do is vote down the Tories (which they will), and he's PM, without any deal with Labour...

Ramsay Miliband?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Thinking about this apparently odd decision by Miliband to reject the best chance he'll ever have to form a government as PM I wonder whether he knows something we don't.

Perhaps he really thinks he is heading for a majority without SNP involvement. Certainly the polls aren't suggesting that but if not it doesn't make sense.

Roger forecasting a Lab majority is the best thing that's happened to the Tories in this campaign.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    rcs1000 said:

dr_spyn said:

Had already voted, but I'm not sure that Labour are home and dry, but they must think that some voters might drift to them rather than Greens.

Suspect that Con have given up on Bristol W and have focused more on NW, converse might apply to Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Roger said:

He'll dare the SNP to turf him out. If he sets out a genuine social democratic agenda are they really going to risk letting the Tories back in?
  • Options
    @PickardJE: Nicola Sturgeon: "I suspect Ed Miliband will change his tune once the votes are cast."
  • Options

Roger said:

He'll dare the SNP to turf him out. If he sets out a genuine social democratic agenda are they really going to risk letting the Tories back in?
    I hope he does play hard ball with them. He can do so with PC and the Greens, they have no means to back up any threats they might not back him up under all circumstances (if they the SNP are on side, they will be too, so its only the SNP he has to worry about), but the SNP are more of a challenge. My hope is they underestimate Ed and he gets a better deal out of it than they expect - if he makes some sort of official concessions without going as far as they would like, as you say are they really going to pull the trigger? They're already in as good a position as they want to be, no need to risk that given they will surely win some concessions at least.
  • Options
    ItwasriggedItwasrigged Posts: 154
    edited April 2015
    jayfdee said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Carmichael is safe as well even with a tsunami to the SNP in the rest of Scotland. Carmichaels vote has been increasing since he first stood there. If he had stood down then the incumbent Liberal might not have been safe. It wouldn't matter even if the SNP changed its name to the Scottish National Liberal Party. The Northern Isles have been Liberal since 1950. Prior to 1935 it had also been Liberal in one form or another from 35 to 50 it had ben Tory.

Carmichael is no Liberal at heart though but the folk in the Northern Isles might not pick up on that. He is but a shadow of the great Jo Grimond.

Ironically the Northern Isles was one of those places where UKIP saved its deposit in 2010.
  • Options
    @carrieapples: Sturgeon on @LBC : "EdM has got to recognise he won’t have the votes simply to say that he is going to do what he likes come what may"
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

rcs1000 said:

dr_spyn said:

Had already voted, but I'm not sure that Labour are home and dry
    It's good if they are not taking it for granted, but it probably isn't necessary of them. The Greens have to come from so far back, and their increase will surely come mostly from former LDs, so really how can either challenge Labour for the seat properly?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Roger said:

Roger forecasting a Lab majority is the best thing that's happened to the Tories in this campaign.
    Miliband saying he would be happy to oblige the SNP in forming a coalition would be the best thing to happen to the tories. Not that it matters, we all know he would anyway.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2015

Roger said:

If it is a genuinely social-democratic agenda, then you're right. But I can't see the SNP backing a Labour Austerity Budget; considering they're making "no more cuts" their main plank, the SNP would be killed for reneging on that even more than they would for "letting in the Tories".
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249

Boris really was pony on the Marr show this morning. He's good at Greek and great at Latin, but policy and debate are clearly weak points.

I quite like having Boris as London Mayor but have always felt that the Tories are overrating him if they think he's the leader who will bring them majorities, much as they have underrated Ed Milliband.

Incidentally - and even though it's from a few threads back - you said that no-one had mentioned the BBC's role in exposing Rahman. Douglas Murray in the Spectator pays tribute to John Ware, who is a very fine journalist. See here - http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/04/the-fall-of-lutfur-rahman-shows-the-power-of-brave-campaigning-journalism/

A timely reminder - especially in the wake of the disastrous Operation Elveden - of what good journalism can do for us.

It is too much to hope that Milliband will, if he becomes PM, row back from the idiotic Leveson proposals. He has never struck me as someone particularly worried about our civil liberties and freedoms, whether preserving them or extending them, nor about our right to know what's going on in the corridors of power.

Still good on the BBC.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

I can't see the SNP backing a Labour Austerity Budget

What makes you think Labour would propose an austerity budget? If Ed is in Downing Street the taps can flow once again...
  • Options
    CosmicCosmic Posts: 26
    Are there any polls out tonight, other than YouGov?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Miss Cyclefree, I was unaware of the BBC's/Ware's role. Cheers for bringing that to my attention.

I share your view on Miliband.

Edited extra bit: welcome to pb.com, Mr. Cosmic.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Roger said:

If it is a genuinely social-democratic agenda, then you're right. But I can't see the SNP backing a Labour Austerity Budget; considering they're making "no more cuts" their main plank, the SNP would be killed for reneging on that even more than they would for "letting in the Tories".
    I feel confident they can perform some verbal gymnastics as to how it would be ok to back the budget, even if they then promises Labour were not progressive enough to back at other times. Enough people seem to think cuts performed by Labour will somehow be intrinsically be better than cuts performed by Tories after all, or are anti-austerity but still voting Labour, so a leap like that is not even that hard in comparison.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I think we can safely assume that whatever is said now will be totally ignored, if it suits politicians' interests, after the votes have been counted.

That said, I would not be wholly surprised to find us with a Labour majority government.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    Roger said:

The SNP don't have much to offer Milliband, given that they've said they'll vote against the Conservatives, regardless.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited April 2015
    Tory candidate refers to Ed Miliband as "The Jew":

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/04/26/ed-miliband-gulzabeen-afsar_n_7146376.html?1430063196

The mask slipped and she got caught out. If she had referred to him as "The Zionist" she would have more than likely got away with it.

I would expect her future career opportunities will be slightly more limited now.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

That said, I would not be wholly surprised to find us with a Labour majority government.

Really? Even I had finally let go of that possibility - are you expecting them to do better than most predict in Scotland, or in England, or both?
  • Options
    Cyclefree

"That said, I would not be wholly surprised to find us with a Labour majority government"

I've not heard anyone suggest that as a possibility
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

jayfdee said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Carmichael is safe as well even with a tsunami to the SNP in the rest of Scotland. Carmichaels vote has been increasing since he first stood there. If he had stood down then the incumbent Liberal might not have been safe. It wouldn't matter even if the SNP changed its name to the Scottish National Liberal Party. The Northern Isles have been Liberal since 1950. Prior to 1935 it had also been Liberal in one form or another from 35 to 50 it had ben Tory.

Carmichael is no Liberal at heart though but the folk in the Northern Isles might not pick up on that. He is but a shadow of the great Jo Grimond.

Ironically the Northern Isles was one of those places where UKIP saved its deposit in 2010.
    If anyone wants a very low risk 20% ROI;

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/orkney-and-shetland/winning-party

• Options
    MP-SE

"Tory candidate refers to Ed Miliband as "The Jew":"

Nice change that it's not a UKIPer
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Say it's

Con 290
    Lab 257
    SNP 50
    PC 3
    UKIP 3
    Grn 1
    LD 28
    NI 13 (attending)

LDs decide to abstain, and the SNP vote with Labour and assorted leftists against a Tory QS or VoC.

Miliband then becomes PM despite Labour suffering a net loss of one seat compared to 2010...
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    LOL, Labour ain't getting no majority.

Absolute best case scenario is about 310 seats, and even that's like a 10% shot at best relying on a miraculous eleventh-hour recovery in Scotland.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Really? Even I had finally let go of that possibility - are you expecting them to do better than most predict in Scotland, or in England, or both?
    I have no reason for my suspicion other than:-

1. The fact that Milliband seems to be performing better than expected.
    2. Possible hubris in Scotland by the SNP so that Labour hold onto some seats. I know the polls show different. I just wonder whether some voters will not like being taken for granted, thought it's possible that others may decide to follow the SNP bandwagon.
    3. Some in England voting for Labour in order to give them a majority because they don't like the idea of the SNP's involvement. Ironic - if the Tories' message leads to the opposite of what they intend.
    4. People feeling that it's not too much of a problem letting Labour back in because the economy seems to be on the mend.

I don't expect a Labour majority. Just saying that I would not be as surprised as all that if it did just happen. This could end up being a 1992-style result but with Labour ending up with a small majority rather than the Tories.

Who knows? I'm guessing. I defer to more experienced posters here: OGH and Antifrank etc.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,673
    edited April 2015
    Labour have pledged to invest in the Liverpool area and create 100,000 jobs if they win the election.

The Tories now regard all Liverpool seats as safe Tory seats.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

2. Possible hubris in Scotland by the SNP so that Labour hold onto some seats. I know the polls show different. I just wonder whether some voters will not like being taken for granted, thought it's possible that others may decide to follow the SNP bandwagon.
    3. Some in England voting for Labour in order to give them a majority because they don't like the idea of the SNP's involvement. Ironic - if the Tories' message leads to the opposite of what they intend.
    4. People feeling that it's not too much of a problem letting Labour back in because the economy seems to be on the mend.

I don't expect a Labour majority. Just saying that I would not be as surprised as all that if it did just happen. This could end up being a 1992-style result but with Labour ending up with a small majority rather than the Tories.

Who knows? I'm guessing. I defer to more experienced posters here: OGH and Antifrank etc.

Up until about 2 months ago I was still predicting a Lab majority (just), so it makes some sense to me, but agreed it does not seem likely.

Defer to no-one!
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Roger said:

Why should the SNP from their point of view be afraid of a Tory govt. They are getting more devolution anyway and probably even more form the tories. So they have no problems as long as they think they can run devolved Scotland with a nice little earner for 50 MPs.
    The SNP are not bothered about the rUK. The best thing of course for the SNP would be to be seen dictating to Labour to their benefit at the expense of England. For the SNP this will encourage anti Scotland sentiment and make a break up of the UK more likely.

Voters have more to think about than usual this election and this probably explains the twists and turns of the polls.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

No 2 - there is no stopping the SNP or this election - they are replacing labour in Scotland and relegating labour to a role similar to the tories for years to come
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, worth mentioning no-one thought Button would win the 2009 Drivers' title.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Roger said:

MP-SE

I would have expected a Labour supporter to make such statements.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-funding-crisis-jewish-donors-drop-toxic-ed-miliband-9849299.html
  • Options

Miss Cyclefree, I was unaware of the BBC's/Ware's role. Cheers for bringing that to my attention.

I share your view on Miliband.

Edited extra bit: welcome to pb.com, Mr. Cosmic.

Thanks! I've actually lurked on and off since 2005.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    Roger said:

MP-SE

It's quite often not a UKIPer, it's just more likely to be reported when it is. For all the 'man bites dog' theory, the media love nothing more than a story which suits their pre-existing narrative. Like how nobody cares if George Osborne looks like the third member of Srehtorb Esrever Lanoitasnes Eht when he tries to eat a hotdog.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Eagle

"The Tories now regard all Liverpool seats as safe Tory seats."

Very Liverpudlian humour!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

I would also not be surprised if in the last few days of the election Lord Ashcroft published a final batch of constituency polling. Especially in Hallam and South Thanet

TSE- are Ashcroft constituency polls worth much if he fails to name a candidate? I thought the whole point of providing a constituency poll was to get an depth local input- without naming a candidate Ashcroft's constituency polls are erratic at best, much like his national polls.

To be honest, I find Ashcroft's self publicising narcissism through bigging up his private polling one of the distractions of the campaign.
  • Options
    Mr. Cosmic, you may have the record for longest lurk. Presumably it's this rather close election which has tempted you to cast off the shadows and step forth into the light?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,184
    test, I am back, many thanks Robert
  • Options

Labour have pledged to invest in the Liverpool area and create 100,000 jobs if they win the election.

The Tories now regard all Liverpool seats as safe Tory seats.

Are these jobs all going to be in Wirral West?
  • Options
    Roger said:

He was sparing with his words, "there will be no deals " does not to me mean they will not have some sort of agreement.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    Roger said:

MP-SE

I'd have expected it to come from one of Ken Livingstone's friends.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I would also not be surprised if in the last few days of the election Lord Ashcroft published a final batch of constituency polling. Especially in Hallam and South Thanet

TSE- are Ashcroft constituency polls worth much if he fails to name a candidate? I thought the whole point of providing a constituency poll was to get an depth local input- without naming a candidate Ashcroft's constituency polls are erratic at best, much like his national polls.

To be honest, I find Ashcroft's self publicising narcissism through bigging up his private polling one of the distractions of the campaign.
    This close to the election the candidates should be named.

That said. I've got a hunch that Lord Ashcroft's Q1 might turn out to be the most accurate poll.
  • Options
    Welcome back, Mr. G.
  • Options
    Pretty much, yeah. It's not so much the election results that are exciting, but what will happen in terms of forming a government afterwards (assuming a hung parliament).

That said, I need my poll fix like everyone else here. Over-analysing regional subsamples etc. etc.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Sights of Labourdoorstep....leaving aside those who were campaigning in their constituencies....

Reeves: Pudsey
    Umunna: Bermondsey (addressing a Church)
    Thornberry: Hendon
    Creasy and Alan Johnson: Milton Keynes
    Lammy: Dagenham
    Owen Jones: Sheffield Hallam
    Tessa Jowell/Tom Watson: Enfield North/Finchley/Hornsey
    Bradshaw: Playmouth Moor View
    Kerry McCarthy: Bristol West
    Bryant: Cardiff Central
    Greenwood (Nottingham South MP): Sherwood
    Berger: Blackpool North
    Timms: East Dunbartonshire
    Dulwich PPC: Bermondsey
  • Options

tyson said:

That said. I've got a hunch that Lord Ashcroft's Q1 might turn out to be the most accurate poll.
    Thanks TSE- I have meant to say before that you have been very good at coming back to my queries.

But, to ask another one, what is Ashcroft's Q1?

• Options
    edited April 2015
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Up until about 2 months ago I was still predicting a Lab majority (just), so it makes some sense to me, but agreed it does not seem likely.

Defer to no-one!
    Shy kippers in the marginals not being picked up by the phone pollsters (or possibly even the exit polls)

It's not likely, but that would be the explanation if it did happen IMO.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Pong said:

jayfdee said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/orkney-and-shetland/winning-party

Carmichael should be fine but I think the vote will be much closer than what the odds might suggest. I'm pretty sure the SNP will GOTV the YES vote putting them in the 35-40% area. It will come down to how strong his personal vote will hold up and whether he benefits from any tactical voting.

One thing which could dent his vote was his failure to respond to Sir Ian Wood's recommendation that the oil industry receive immediate incentives to help weather the fall in oil prices. The delay in announcing any measures until the budget may well have cost jobs, the delay was in part due to the Coalition trying to damage the SNP:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/oilprices/11349433/Sir-Ian-Wood-urges-George-Osborne-to-cut-oil-tax-by-10pc.html

Interestingly this seat has the potential to be UKIP's best performance, they could even sneak into 3rd place. UKIP have a local fisherman standing who got around 7% in 2010.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,790

Roger said:

Phew.
  • Options

Mr. Cosmic, you may have the record for longest lurk. Presumably it's this rather close election which has tempted you to cast off the shadows and step forth into the light?

Mr Morris- it's that irresistible pull of pbCOM. You get got in the end, and even if you manage to get away, like the Prisoner, there is no real escape.
  • Options

tyson said:

I've backed the Tories in Cheltenham, at good odds against, on that basis.
  • Options

Roger said:

Are you dreaming , these guys are Tories in sheeps clothing. The SNP will give them a severe pummeling.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2015
    It's perfectly legal but is it ethical to publish constituency polls just a few days before the election? You could argue it puts undue pressure on people to vote tactically.
  • Options

Welcome back, Mr. G.

Thank you MD , my account got screwed up I think, given I was not being very insulting to anyone.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    calum said:

Pong said:

jayfdee said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Carmichael should be fine but I think the vote will be much closer than what the odds might suggest. I'm pretty sure the SNP will GOTV the YES vote putting them in the 35-40% area. It will come down to how strong his personal vote will hold up and whether he benefits from any tactical voting.

One thing which could dent his vote was his failure to respond to Sir Ian Wood's recommendation that the oil industry receive immediate incentives to help weather the fall in oil prices. The delay in announcing any measures until the budget may well have cost jobs, the delay was in part due to the Coalition trying to damage the SNP:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/oilprices/11349433/Sir-Ian-Wood-urges-George-Osborne-to-cut-oil-tax-by-10pc.html

Interestingly this seat has the potential to be UKIP's best performance, they could even sneak into 3rd place. UKIP have a local fisherman standing who got around 7% in 2010.
    Fancy a bet on SNP under/over 37.5% at evens?
  • Options

tyson said:

What is Ashcroft's Q1 Casino? The normally very reliable TSE appears to have gone on walkabout.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's perfectly legal but is it ethical to publish constituency polls just a few days before the election? You could argue it puts undue pressure on people to vote tactically.

Under bonkers FPTP, it would be unethical not to publish...
  • Options
    Mr. Johnno, good speech. The Conservatives should cut some of it for their next party political.
  • Options
    I just saw that on Facebook. I agree. I bow to no-one in my criticism of Cameron, but it came across with all that passion and energy that's so far been missing from his campaign.

Even his jokes were funny.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

What is Ashcroft's Q1 Casino? The normally very reliable TSE appears to have gone on walkabout.
    Give me five more mins, I'm just putting the finishing touches to your post.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I sort of wish Ashcroft would give it a rest now.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Eh? If people wish to vote tactically that is up to them. If it wasn't polls pressuring them to do so it would be the previous election result. Its quite possible that opinion polls could lead to tactical voting unwind rather than ore tactical voting.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree, There is no sign of hubris in Scotland. SNP are just very popular and getting more so every day. The constant insults and hysteria in the right wing press just increase this. When you see at weekend , huge crowds out to see Sturgeon and yet Murphy has about a dozen or two at best and Brown is limited to the faithful in the back room of a pub. It really does look like something unusual is happening.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Question 1 is the standard voting intention he asks in each constituency poll. Question 2 is the constituency voting intention question:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/04/six-more-marginals/#more-11395
  • Options
    "Ashcroft Polling" or something along those lines would sound like a serious pollster. "Lord Ashcroft Polls" just sounds like a vanity project.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited April 2015
    Khan, Harrow West MP, Harrow East candidate, Dawn Butler, Ealing South MP, Hampstead candidate were at Willesden Temple for the Miliand's visit

For political foot feticists......Miliband's stockings..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDiEUVeW8AAk3Db.jpg
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pong said:

calum said:

Pong said:

jayfdee said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

That's a pretty perfect line, no idea what I'd pick.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,673
    edited April 2015
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Thanks TSE- I have meant to say before that you have been very good at coming back to my queries.

But, to ask another one, what is Ashcroft's Q1?

Lord Ashcroft's constituency polling is a two part question. Q2 is the figure he uses as his final figures for his polls.

Q1) If there were a general election tomorrow, which party would you vote for? Would it be Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrat, UKIP, or another party? If ‘another party’: Would
    that be, the Green Party, the British National Party (BNP), or some other party – or do you not know how you would vote?

Q2) And thinking specifically about your own parliamentary constituency at the next general election and the candidates who are likely to stand for election to Westminster there, which party's candidate do you think you will vote for in your own constituency? [Prompts as at Q1]

Now, in some polls, there's a huge discrepancy between Q1 and Q2, it can't be all down to incumbency and well it could be say, Q2 is making more people to change their voting intention, than they should [Note I'm just a uneducated follower of polls, so I might be talking bollocks]

Have a look at the recent Lord A Con/LD polling, page 3, of this report to see the differences between Q1 and Q2.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/LORD-ASHCROFT-POLLS-Competitive-Lib-Dem-seats-March-2015ABXZ.pdf

It fits in with the shellacking for the Lib Dems in the South West that ComRes was finding.

We're going to find out in 12 days times if Lord A is right.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree, There is no sign of hubris in Scotland. SNP are just very popular and getting more so every day. The constant insults and hysteria in the right wing press just increase this. When you see at weekend , huge crowds out to see Sturgeon and yet Murphy has about a dozen or two at best and Brown is limited to the faithful in the back room of a pub. It really does look like something unusual is happening.
    Malcolm: thank you. Ms Sturgeon does seem to be a most impressive politician. If Labour are destroyed it will show the folly of taking your voters for granted. A lesson for all parties there.

Off topic: I hope you enjoyed Sandown yesterday. I had a most profitable afternoon.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2015
    Alistair said:

Pong said:

calum said:

Pong said:

jayfdee said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

That's a pretty perfect line, no idea what I'd pick.
    UnDer I think would be the right call
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,629
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Yes, I would agree with this. For the moment, the SNP can do no wrong, Westminster can do no right. There's a sort of un-buyer's remorse about the referendum. It's like making a career choice to stay in your current job, every time you have a crap day you wonder what might have been. What goes up must come down, but it's certainly not going to be before this election.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Ashcroft has done this country a great service. He has slowly started to turn the media around to hard number analysis, the importance of on the ground campaigning and how unimportant almost everything that they think is important - really isn't.

He is hero imo.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Camerons best speech by far of the 2015 GE.

Yes. But how many heard him
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    OT. I can't see a downside to Miliband's control of rent for three years. If Cameron can try to bring in legislation to force housing associations to sell such a precious resource as the properties they run then this is a necessary counter measure.

There are nine million private renters and just a million housing association properties. This isn't a legitimate way for Cameron to win an election but a criminal decision to try to win a few votes. There is a housing crisis which he seems to have missed

If this new plan reduces house prices then good. If it removes some of the buy-to-let excesses then even better.

Pickles remarks about bombing cities just shows how out of touch with his own department he is. Just ask Shelter.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

No 2 - there is no stopping the SNP or this election - they are replacing labour in Scotland and relegating labour to a role similar to the tories for years to come
    The antipathy to Labour in Scotland is nowhere near as strong as it is to the Tories. I could easily foresee a Labour revival before too long. On the other hand the Tories remain as toxic as ever to most voters north of the border
This discussion has been closed.