Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Could shy Kippers become a problem for pollsters like shy T

12346»

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    RodCrosby said:

Sturgeon: Miliband prefers Cameron as PM, rather than work with the SNP...

So some are saying the SNP prefer Cameron as PM as it helps with another IndyRef.
    Sturgeon says Miliband would prefer Cameron as PM rather than work with the SNP.
    Farage is said to prefer Cameron over Miliband as PM.
    A Clegg run LDs would probably prefer Cameron as PM.

A lot of people seem to prefer Cameron as PM, it would be a shame for them to be all so disappointed.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,571

surbiton said:

Miliband is the smartest politician on offer. He promises no major reforms. He prmises a range of minor tinkerings which fit I with a popular theme that the rich can pay more and make everything fairer. Neither the tories nor the libdems offer such a simple and popular meme.

Miliband's policies seem to be all quite insignificant and therefor, for the smart politician, easily achievable. Small change to the amount of housing benefit you might receive if you have a spare room. Insignificant and achievable in 1 year. Tinker with casual employment contracts. Insignificant and achievable. Tinker with private rents. Insignificant and achievable. Reduce tuition fees a bit. Ditto. Increase nurse numbers by 0.3%. Ditto. Knock a few quid off your energy bills. Ditto. Rich a bit worse off. Ditto.

After 1 year in office he'll be riding high having achieved everything he promised without changing very much at all. Smart.

I suspect his popularity after 1 year in office will be somewhere between that of Osama Bin Laden and Jimmy Saville.
    And what will have happened to the Tories?
  • GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

GeoffM said:

My postal vote is sitting on the dining room table.
    I've been putting off the Conservative/UKIP decision for weeks now but today is the day.

Reading PB recently has felt like fifty canvassers knocking on my front door every night.

Geoff, if you can't decide between the parties then look at your local UKIP and Tory candidates and decide on that basis. I have no idea where you live so this is not to push you in one way or another. You might find your local UKIP candidate is an absolute loon who wants to bring back the death penalty for having the wrong colour eyes or you might find your local Tory candidate is a fanatical pro European federalist who wants us to have no elections except those for a European Parliament. If either is the case - or shades of grey therein - then it will probably help you to make your decision.

Remember you are voting for a local representative not a party.

GeoffM said:

I've been putting off the Conservative/UKIP decision for weeks now but today is the day.

Reading PB recently has felt like fifty canvassers knocking on my front door every night.

Geoff, if you can't decide between the parties then look at your local UKIP and Tory candidates and decide on that basis. I have no idea where you live so this is not to push you in one way or another. You might find your local UKIP candidate is an absolute loon who wants to bring back the death penalty for having the wrong colour eyes or you might find your local Tory candidate is a fanatical pro European federalist who wants us to have no elections except those for a European Parliament. If either is the case - or shades of grey therein - then it will probably help you to make your decision.

Richard's right. If you support the local representative, you'll never regret your decision to send them to parliament. The action of the party are out of their (and your) hands.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,293

GeoffM said:

Well said.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    Grandiose said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Richard's right. If you support the local representative, you'll never regret your decision to send them to parliament. The action of the party are out of their (and your) hands.
    Yes indeed. I withdraw my own entreaty for Geoff to for the party if he likes them. For all I know the candidate on one side or the other is a deal breaker.
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

GeoffM said:

That's all very true. I've also included in my decision what I'm going to think of from now on as the "Kle4 Test" ... to add weighting towards those whom I have seen putting effort in.

I'm going to go out for dinner tonight and vote after that. Wine and courage may prove to be a factor too.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Prodicus, exemplary judgement and exquisite taste are neither of them a curse.
  • @isam, I accept the dead heat rules.
  • GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

That's all very true. I've also included in my decision what I'm going to think of from now on as the "Kle4 Test" ... to add weighting towards those whom I have seen putting effort in.

I'm going to go out for dinner tonight and vote after that. Wine and courage may prove to be a factor too.
    So that's your way of saying you want a thread on AV/Electoral Reform/Scotland then.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Financier said:

There are now 117 billionaires on the (Sunday Times British rich) list, up from 104 in 2014, with 80 of them living in London.

Many of them sponsor sporting and other events as well as benefiting charities - do we really want to tax them out of the UK.

Some of them just work themselves up from humble origins, revive British engineering and manufacturing, build homes and provide highly skilled jobs. Wheres my torch and pitchfork, we need to run these people out of the country...

http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/Triumph-Motorcycles-owner-John-Bloor/story-26381536-detail/story.html
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,293

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

So that's your way of saying you want a thread on AV/Electoral Reform/Scotland then.
    Could you add HS2 as well? ;-)
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

But dont equate making lots of facebook posts and tweets with effort....
    kle4 said:

Grandiose said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Yes indeed. I withdraw my own entreaty for Geoff to for the party if he likes them. For all I know the candidate on one side or the other is a deal breaker.
    No need to withdraw as party approval must have an influence but I wholeheartedly agreed with the second half of your comment.

As I said in my reply to Richard_Tyndall my decision will consider the individual as the primary factor ... and also your comment about effort is important. Caroline Dineage is sitting on a 15k majority but in an unpredictable election. If she or the UKIP candidate wants it badly enough to bang on doors then that counts as credit in my book.
  • DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Tessa Jowell being ripped apart on Andrew Neil. What is it with Labour and these knee jerk policy declarations where none of their candidates and party members seem to have a clue about what is going on.

• So that's your way of saying you want a thread on AV/Electoral Reform/Scotland then.

Or perhaps WH/Electoral Reform/Scotland?

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,997

surbiton said:

Re labours rent control policy does anyone think it will become a reality. Rents will be freely negotiated at the beginning of the tenancy between landlord and tenant with some reference to the previous rent and then any rent rise for the max three years will be restricted to inflation. Apparently it will not come in until 2017 and will be policed by the local authority.

Any landlord who neglects the property maintenance will lose tax relief this to be policed by HMRC.

The idea that local authorities will have the time and staffing to maintain a new landlord register and that HMRC will be able to investigate landlords re their tax relief is ridiculous.

Another sound bite policy from Ed Miliband who has no knowledge of markets and more worryingly no interest in understanding them

If it has no real effect, then maybe Ed Miliband is a smarter politician than you give him credit for.
    Miliband is the smartest politician on offer. He promises no major reforms. He prmises a range of minor tinkerings which fit I with a popular theme that the rich can pay more and make everything fairer. Neither the tories nor the libdems offer such a simple and popular meme.

Miliband's policies seem to be all quite insignificant and therefor, for the smart politician, easily achievable. Small change to the amount of housing benefit you might receive if you have a spare room. Insignificant and achievable in 1 year. Tinker with casual employment contracts. Insignificant and achievable. Tinker with private rents. Insignificant and achievable. Reduce tuition fees a bit. Ditto. Increase nurse numbers by 0.3%. Ditto. Knock a few quid off your energy bills. Ditto. Rich a bit worse off. Ditto.

After 1 year in office he'll be riding high having achieved everything he promised without changing very much at all. Smart. Very smart when one considers that one year in, the coalition were embarking on a 'courageous' reform agenda that was always going to end in electoral tears, regardless of the economy.

Ed may be crap, he may be weak, or weird. Call him what you like. But he's smarter than the average.
    I suspect his popularity after 1 year in office will be somewhere between that of Osama Bin Laden and Jimmy Saville.
    Being popular and being smart are not the same.

Anysway, Ed’s demonstratably intelligent. He got into Oxford from a state school, even though it’s one with a tradition of sending the brightest there.
    Whether to be intelligent means one is smart is, of course, debatable.
  • New Thread
    notme said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

But dont equate making lots of facebook posts and tweets with effort....
    I've done enough canvassing and leafleting in my time to know the difference between real effort and faking it :)
  • Flightpath1Flightpath1 Posts: 207
    kle4 said:

RodCrosby said:

So some are saying the SNP prefer Cameron as PM as it helps with another IndyRef.
    Sturgeon says Miliband would prefer Cameron as PM rather than work with the SNP.

A lot of people seem to prefer Cameron as PM, it would be a shame for them to be all so disappointed.
    'It's a funny ol' elecrorial world init, guvner?' Ne'er mind, dem polls 've gorrit all worked out aint they?'
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,729
    Financier

"There are now 117 billionaires on the (Sunday Times British rich) list, up from 104 in 2014, with 80 of them living in London.

Many of them sponsor sporting and other events as well as benefiting charities - do we really want to tax them out of the UK."

What about a major title for each of them. Maybe a 'Billionairship' so we could address them as 'Your Billionairship'. Perhaps a small gesture like a discreet tugging of our forelocks if we should see one of these eminences
    Roger said:

Financier

"There are now 117 billionaires on the (Sunday Times British rich) list, up from 104 in 2014, with 80 of them living in London.

Many of them sponsor sporting and other events as well as benefiting charities - do we really want to tax them out of the UK."

What about a major title for each of them. Maybe a 'Billionairship' so we could address them as 'Your Billionairship'. Perhaps a small gesture like a discreet tugging of our forelocks if we should see one of these eminences

Only if there's an equivalent and suitable title for you tampon advertisers.
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Roger said:

Financier

Good idea if they pay for it, as the ridiculously rich used to. Say GBP100m to HM Exchequer for the right to the title.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,729
    I met my first real life UKIPer this lunchtime. She found their policy on smoking in public places irresistible
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,052
    kle4 said:

RodCrosby said:

It's supposed to be a myth that politicians ever want to lose an election, but if I were Miliband I think I'd be quite happy if Cameron stays in Number 10 for the time being. It'd give people on the Left a chance to reflect and realise that if they want power they need to return to the Labour fold (at least until there's electoral reform). I think there'll be another general election within 12 months, and the 3rd/4th parties will get squeezed. And it'd give him a chance to resign with some dignity in order for the party to find a more electable leader.

OTOH, if Ed does sneak into Number 10 on May 7th, it will be a remarkable achievement indeed if he manages to govern effectively while standing up to Salmond and co. If he were to manage it, he'd stroll back into power at the following election, but is he man enough?
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,052
    Roger said:

I met my first real life UKIPer this lunchtime. She found their policy on smoking in public places irresistible

Are there any Ukippers who don't smoke?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,019
    Dadge said:

Roger said:

Are there any Ukippers who don't smoke?
    I'm a non-smoker but I voted UKIP in the Euro election last year (but Tory in the Local election the same day!)
This discussion has been closed.