Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Could shy Kippers become a problem for pollsters like shy T

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    felix said:

@Felix - your point 3 is the crucial one. There are five more or less mainstream choices in England now, six in Wales, and big regional differences. Ecen if the pollsters get the percentages right, UNS is almost certainly dead in the water.

Yes, agreed and I cannot see how the pollsters can conceivably get the right handle on this - local polling may or may not be reliable although I'd have some faith in regional polling to get closer to the mark.

Yep. I am surprised we have not seen any polls for the Midlands. UKIP gains are intetesting, but it is here where the election will actually be decided and where, I believe, Labour will really struggle.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,962
    Watcher

"Ed was scared of the Chester Hens; a young Mick would have dived right in."

Like a rat up a drainpipe
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Don't forget that Ed is trying to wear a green cap, or are the Greens trying to wear the fox's hat - labour's cap. https://www.greenparty.org.uk/we-stand-for/decent-homes.html
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

Who are tactical voters voting against (bearing in mind there aren't that many of them - 13% of the panel)

E&W:
    Con: 32
    Lab: 48
    LibD: 2
    UKIP: 8

Scotland
    Con: 19
    Lab: 18
    LibD: 1
    SNP: 59

So what tactical voting there is is anti-SNP in Scotland, and predominantly anti-Labour in England....

What happened to the 'anti-Tory majority'?

There is an anti anyone majority. But up to now anti-Tory voters have used their votes much more effectively than anti-Labour ones - in England at least. The Coalition and the demise of the LDs plus Clegg's clear preference for the Tories may change that.

• Options
    Jonathan

"LibDems

Wants to be a head or heart...
    ... But still an arse."

Most accurate and succinct comment of the day
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876

How does this Rent Cap thing work..what will be the result.

Its a cap on annual rent increases at inflation within a three year tenancy.

Landlords will be obliged to tell new tenants what the previous tenant paid - but there is no cap on what that will be.

Results?

Last night it was pointed out that a 3 year tenancy in E&W is a 'DEED' which will need a solicitor to draw up.

Not clear whether this also applies to social housing, which have seen greater increases in rent than private accommodation.

In summary a half cocked solution, with downsides, to the wrong problem.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Thought for the day: Anyone know why 'Wings over Scotland' have based their logo on the Waffen SS?

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/5981/thirdreicheagle.jpg

http://wingsoverscotland.com/

Do Hugo Boss sell Black Kilts?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

antifrank said:

This is one of the polling problems that UKIP throws up.

It's quite likely that much of the non-Labour vote will coalesce around UKIP in safe Labour seats. Whether they manage to get direct switchers from Labour is less certain. However, if the Tories are losing votes in places it does not matter, if the polls are right that means they are holding onto and even gaining votes where it does matter.

Colour me a bit sceptical. The evidence is that Tory voters are notoriously unlikely to vote tactically. If this were different then Danny Alexander would be likely to keep his seat. So would Clegg in Sheffield Hallam.

UKIP are not picking up tactical votes in Labour safe seats. I think that they are winning genuine converts there.

So, we'd expect Labour's vote to go down in its safe seats? Or maybe the LD switchers are making up for UKIP ones? If it's the former - and Labour does not lose any seats as a result - it's very good news for them in terms of this election.

The Mellon/Evans argument is that UKIP should win over ex-Labour voters that Labour has already pushed away 1997-2010.

That suggests 2005/2010 low turnout seats might be the surprises on election night.

Only if Tory voters vote tactically and turnout increases, surely. On that basis, the Sunderland seats could reveal quite a lot.

Great Grimsby. Labour vote.

1997: 25,000
    2001: 19,000
    2005: 15,000
    2010: 10,000

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Grimsby_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

I do not know if Sunday Politics (Lincs and Humber) is on iplayer, but anyone interested in Great Grimsby should watch it. Victoria Ayling for UKIP is awful. The Labour candidate is personable and local. Easy win for Labour, UKIP could be 3rd.
    I don't know anything about local politics here. On the face of it, I'd expect UKIP to win a huge share of the Conservative vote from 2010, a substantial share of the Lib Dem vote, most of the BNP vote, a small slice of the Labour vote, and some new and non-voters, taking them into five figures.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    CV Thank you..not too sure from that who will benefit..maybe just lawyers..
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited April 2015
    Sean_F said:

antifrank said:

It's quite likely that much of the non-Labour vote will coalesce around UKIP in safe Labour seats. Whether they manage to get direct switchers from Labour is less certain. However, if the Tories are losing votes in places it does not matter, if the polls are right that means they are holding onto and even gaining votes where it does matter.

Colour me a bit sceptical. The evidence is that Tory voters are notoriously unlikely to vote tactically. If this were different then Danny Alexander would be likely to keep his seat. So would Clegg in Sheffield Hallam.

UKIP are not picking up tactical votes in Labour safe seats. I think that they are winning genuine converts there.

So, we'd expect Labour's vote to go down in its safe seats? Or maybe the LD switchers are making up for UKIP ones? If it's the former - and Labour does not lose any seats as a result - it's very good news for them in terms of this election.

The Mellon/Evans argument is that UKIP should win over ex-Labour voters that Labour has already pushed away 1997-2010.

That suggests 2005/2010 low turnout seats might be the surprises on election night.

Only if Tory voters vote tactically and turnout increases, surely. On that basis, the Sunderland seats could reveal quite a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Grimsby_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_2010s

I do not know if Sunday Politics (Lincs and Humber) is on iplayer, but anyone interested in Great Grimsby should watch it. Victoria Ayling for UKIP is awful. The Labour candidate is personable and local. Easy win for Labour, UKIP could be 3rd.
    I don't know anything about local politics here. On the face of it, I'd expect UKIP to win a huge share of the Conservative vote from 2010, a substantial share of the Lib Dem vote, most of the BNP vote, a small slice of the Labour vote, and some new and non-voters, taking them into five figures.
    It was last weeks Sunday politics main feature for H and L. I think that The Tory candidate will hold most of the 2010 Tory vote.

• Options

felix said:

@Felix - your point 3 is the crucial one. There are five more or less mainstream choices in England now, six in Wales, and big regional differences. Ecen if the pollsters get the percentages right, UNS is almost certainly dead in the water.

Yes, agreed and I cannot see how the pollsters can conceivably get the right handle on this - local polling may or may not be reliable although I'd have some faith in regional polling to get closer to the mark.

Yep. I am surprised we have not seen any polls for the Midlands. UKIP gains are intetesting, but it is here where the election will actually be decided and where, I believe, Labour will really struggle.

Yes - that's where its going to be decided.

I think:

- The SNP won't do quite as well as expected
    - The Lib Dems won't do quite as badly as expected (I don't buy this "SW melt down", they're tenacious buggers)
    - Lab & Con will fight to the death in the Midlands. Mr Palmer's hubris optimism I find quietly encouraging.

Its also the 'Midlands' break outs I scan with interest (I know, I know), but straws in the wind - the Midlands has the lowest level (8) of tactical voting - half Scotland's (17) - for example. Looks like they've made their minds up. We just don't know how.....
  • Options
    DanielDaniel Posts: 160
    CCHQ Press Office ‏@CCHQPress 14m14 minutes ago

WATCH: Labour's Shadow Housing Minister @EmmaReynoldsMP "I dont think rent control's going to work in practice"

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited April 2015
    Daniel... Seems like Emma Reynolds has been kept in the dark on this one..Anybody seen Ed Balls recently..
  • Options
    Meanwhile in South Thanet...

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/activists-threatened-by-far-right-35806/

A carefully worded, joint statement by LAB and CON, seem to link UKIP to the far right.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,926

Roger said:

Credit where credit's due. Even in these difficult times the super rich have doubled their wealth since this government came to power.

http://news.yahoo.com/rich-richer-uk-index-wealthiest-people-213733069.html

Super rich bad: Rich good
    Eton bad: Minor public school good
    It's interesting where you draw the line and build the barricade, Roger.

A Rich person is always someone with more money than you.
    Whilst I do believe that the seemingly insatiable greed of the super-rich is a global problem that no government here can do much about, there seems little doubt to me that the Tories suffer from being perceived as the party that puts the wealthy first. It also doesn't really matter how true that actually is. It does and will make it very difficult for the Tories to win an overall majority any time soon
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    The shy kipper syndrome is easy to understand

For years people with genuine concerns about the way their lives have been affected by mass immigration have seen anyone who spoke about it called racist...

People who spoke about what was going on in Rotherham were called racist
    People who spoke about what was going on in Tower Hamlets were called racist
    People who saw what was happening to Victoria Climbie didn't speak for fear of being called racist

Most people with a family can't afford to tell the truth for fear if losing their job

Trevor Phillips freely admits that he created an atmosphere where people were afraid to say anything despite how obvious it seemed as they didnt need the aggro of being smeared ... He has apologised and seen the error if his ways, but many people who crave support for their party and see Ukip as a threat have cause to keep these smears and unjustified prejudice alive

I am an outspoken kipper amongst friends, but still don't mention it to people I don't know for fear of what they might think of me... Friends of mine who are voting Ukip say they would say 'don't know' if asked by a stranger or work colleague
  • Options
    @Roger Was it the Third Dreich Eagle?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited April 2015

felix said:

Yes - that's where its going to be decided.

I think:

- The SNP won't do quite as well as expected
    - The Lib Dems won't do quite as badly as expected (I don't buy this "SW melt down", they're tenacious buggers)
    - Lab & Con will fight to the death in the Midlands. Mr Palmer's hubris optimism I find quietly encouraging.

Its also the 'Midlands' break outs I scan with interest (I know, I know), but straws in the wind - the Midlands has the lowest level (8) of tactical voting - half Scotland's (17) - for example. Looks like they've made their minds up. We just don't know how.....
    I actually disagree with your first 2 points. The SNP will get 50+ and the LDs may be in the low 20s and will do very badly in the SW although they may well persist [like Japanese knotweed?] in SW London. :)

Oh and agree on NPXMP - it would make my night if he loses. :)
  • Options
    Daniel said:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/activists-threatened-by-far-right-35806/

A carefully worded, joint statement by LAB and CON, seem to link UKIP to the far right.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/herne-bay/news/vandals-attack-ukip-hq-35423/
  • Options
    isam said:

Daniel said:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/herne-bay/news/vandals-attack-ukip-hq-35423/
    Now why would people feel uneasy about admitting voting Ukip?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited April 2015
    isam said:

For years people with genuine concerns about the way their lives have been affected by mass immigration have seen anyone who spoke about it called racist...

People who saw what was happening to Victoria Climbie didn't speak for fear of being called racist

Most people with a family can't afford to tell the truth for fear if losing their job

Trevor Phillips freely admits that he created an atmosphere where people were afraid to say anything despite how obvious it seemed as they didnt need the aggro of being smeared ... He has apologised and seen the error if his ways, but many people who crave support for their party and see Ukip as a threat have cause to keep these smears and unjustified prejudice alive

I am an outspoken kipper amongst friends, but still don't mention it to people I don't know for fear of what they might think of me... Friends of mine who are voting Ukip say they would say 'don't know' if asked by a stranger or work colleague

And of course now with Ed's anti-Islamophobia law we'd go right back to square one with people unable to speak out their worries.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255

antifrank said:

The woman was completely bonkers when she was a Tory but still nearly won it. I think us political obsessives overstate the electorates interest in picking up how mad some candidates are.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited April 2015

Its a cap on annual rent increases at inflation within a three year tenancy.

Landlords will be obliged to tell new tenants what the previous tenant paid - but there is no cap on what that will be.

Results?

Last night it was pointed out that a 3 year tenancy in E&W is a 'DEED' which will need a solicitor to draw up.

Not clear whether this also applies to social housing, which have seen greater increases in rent than private accommodation.

In summary a half cocked solution, with downsides, to the wrong problem.

That isn't true. The prohibition on creating interests in land by parol does not affect the creation of leases taking effect as an interest in possession for a term not exceeding three years at best rent (Law of Property Act 1925, s. 54(2), s. 52(2)(d)). A lease is not therefore void for a failure to create it by deed, falling outside LPA 1925, s. 52(1). A legal lease takes effect as an overriding interest whether or not the lessee is in discoverable actual occupation (Land Registration Act 2002, s. 29, schedule 3, para 1). In any event, Parliament could create a new form of tenancy which was exempt from the formality requirements as it has done before.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Doc

"@Roger Was it the Third Dreich Eagle?"

Is that like Lynton Crosby's dog-wessel?
  • Options
    Interesting comments in this thread about who is better or worse off under this government.

I'll just throw my circumstances into the mix. I work in a low paid factory job which is above minimum but not a huge amount above it. I don't receive any benefits or tax credits whatsoever - true under both governments. So my only source of income has been my job.

Under the Brown government I struggled to make ends meet most weeks and was sometimes down to my last few pounds.

Under the Cameron government I am living relatively comfortably and have built up some savings.

The reasons? Under Brown I didn't receive any pay rises whatsoever and for much of that time I was reduced to working a 35 hour week due to the recession.

Under Cameron I have (with the exception of each January) been on at least the full 40 hour week and, mostly, a lot more than that. I usually do a 48 hour week these days. Plus I'm paying less income tax now, of course. Oh, and I've had some annual pay rises too.

So under the coalition in 2015 my take home income is upwards of 30% greater than what it was in 2010 under Labour.

Yet... why am I not a dead cert to vote Conservative again? I'm not sure I understand it myself!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @politicshome: .@MayorofLondon Boris Johnson calls Andrew Marr a 'lefty BBC journalist'.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,294

antifrank said:

Re Danny, I think you have to remember that the SNP is going to get the "out" vote percentage, irrespective of tactical voting. This dooms Mr Alexander, as there Out percentage was 47% or so in Inverness.

Where you might see LibDems hold on in Scotland is where out was low, and they are the only credible unionist party.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Fieldwork End 25.04.2010

ComRes C32 L28 LD31
    YouGov C34 L28 LD30
    ICM C33 L28 LD30
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Shy kippers? Seriously? In the, highly likely, event that Ed becomes PM, one of the very few things that will cheer me up, will be reading the comment pages of the like of the mail and telegraph. They are awash with loony liblabcon frothing now. It will be hilarious come May 8th.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: .@MayorofLondon Boris Johnson calls Andrew Marr a 'lefty BBC journalist'.

@BBCLouise: Andrew Marr has to begin programme with an apology to @Number10gov for saying last week that fox hunting is PM's favourite sport #marrshow
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,041
    Mr. Felix, it'd be worse than that. Not speaking due to unease or censure is a better situation than not speaking because you'll be imprisoned.

Rotherham and Rahman prove we need more freedom of speech, not less.
  • Options
    From our friends in the north:

THE SNP last night warned other parties not make the House of Lords a 'house of losers' after the election by elevating defeated MPs as a consolation prize.

The Nationalists, who refuse to have SNP peers and want to abolish the Lords, challenged their opponents not to give a "free pass" to MPs who retire or get kicked out by voters on May 7.

The call comes amid speculation that LibDem Danny Alexander, who is tipped to lose his Inverness seat to the SNP, could be elevated to the Lords after a defeat.

This would allow him to continue serving as Chief Secretary to the Treasury if there was a second Tory-LibDem coalition.

Other LibDems tipped for peerages include Charlie Kennedy, who is struggling to defend his Ross, Skye and Lochaber seat, and Sir Menzies Campbell, who is retiring.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/scottish-politics/snp-urge-other-parties-to-rule-out-house-of-losers.124286220
  • Options
    felix said:

isam said:

And of course now with Ed's anti-Islamophobia law we'd go right back to square one with people unable to speak out their worries.
    Seems like lunacy
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,033
    Roger said:

Doc

"@Roger Was it the Third Dreich Eagle?"

Is that like Lynton Crosby's dog-wessel?

Actually it looks more like the Aeroflot logo, with a lion replacing the hammer and sickle.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning. We them here, we see them there, we see these bastards everywhere:

And the prize for the most bizarre anti UKIP rant goes to... pic.twitter.com/IVQsRarpHM

— Harry Plowman (@HarryPlowman2) April 26, 2015
  • Options
    I realise that by elections are a different kettle of fish to a GE, but can anyone else justify the decision in the Ashcroft poll to treat R&S The same as any other seat weighting wise? Surely the fact Ukip won the seat should play some part in the methodology? Or does it make zero difference and was rightly ignored?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,563
    It is perhaps indicative of the very narrow compass within which this election is being fought that someone presumably not completely brain dead can produce a story like this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11561928/Pre-election-growth-figures-to-highlight-economic-slowdown.html

Apparently it is going to be a "blow" to Cameron that Q1 growth (on the first estimate of course) might collapse from 0.6% in Q4 to.....0.5%. Until they revise up construction yet again after the election.

No wonder so much of this election seems to be about Scotland. I may not like what is happening up here but at least it is indisputably interesting.
  • Options
    the "shifty fifty" SNP MPs are going to be gold standard popcorn once let loose in the capital..

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/572961/Bigoted-language-shame-would-be-SNP-MP

candidate was last night forced to make a grovelling apology after the Sunday Express revealed he repeatedly used football-related sectarian slurs.

Brendan O’Hara, who is the favourite to win the crucial marginal seat of Argyll and Bute, called Rangers supporters “huns” on a Celtic fans’ website.

It is an extremely insulting and bigoted term for the Ibrox club and their followers, although some would argue it is derogatory to all Protestants.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    rcs1000 said:

antifrank said:

Re Danny, I think you have to remember that the SNP is going to get the "out" vote percentage, irrespective of tactical voting. This dooms Mr Alexander, as there Out percentage was 47% or so in Inverness.

Where you might see LibDems hold on in Scotland is where out was low, and they are the only credible unionist party.
    It wouldn't surprise me to see the Lib Dems end up with more seats in Scotland than Labour.
  • Options
    Steven W

"Yet... why am I not a dead cert to vote Conservative again? I'm not sure I understand it myself"

When they read your post they might use you as their new poster boy now that Boris looks bloated. That should sort out your finances
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,264

I think it's unlikely many of that 10,000 will vote UKIP. A combination of Tory tacticals and returning 2010 non-voters is what may do the job. Frankly, Labour deserves a kicking in its safe, working class English bastions, just as it does in Scotland. The only trouble is in England it will deliver right wing MPs that despise trade unions, social solidarity, the welfare state, the NHS and so on.

"The only trouble is in England it will deliver right wing MPs that despise trade unions, social solidarity, the welfare state, the NHS and so on."

You are being stupid. As has been happening too much recently.

1) 'Despise trade unions'. You may note that there is a certain amount of antipathy the other way. And where is the evidence for your contention that the new MPs will 'despise' unions?

2) 'Despise social solidarity'. Please clarify what you mean.

3) 'Despise the welfare state'. I can't say I've come across anyone who 'despises' the welfare state; they may think that some of the spending is barmy and wasteful, but that's a very different matter. But the whole welfare state is a necessary result of failure: it would be great if it was not needed. However we do not live in an ideal world. You should note that criticism of something does not equate to 'despising' it.

4) 'Despise the NHS'. Really? Again, criticism does not equate to despising it. However I find it interesting that the a supporter of the party of Burnham, Stafford and Furness says this: you could equally say that Labour despises patients as much as it loves the NHS.

It is becoming clear why you have turned your back on your McBride-inspired undertaking not to vote Labour. You are indeed taking on his mantle.
  • Options

Looking at the various swings for E & W:-

Survation have 2.4% Con to Lab; Opinium 3.5%, Yougov 5%.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Does he now, I wonder why?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

THE SNP last night warned other parties not make the House of Lords a 'house of losers' after the election by elevating defeated MPs as a consolation prize.

The Nationalists, who refuse to have SNP peers and want to abolish the Lords, challenged their opponents not to give a "free pass" to MPs who retire or get kicked out by voters on May 7.

The call comes amid speculation that LibDem Danny Alexander, who is tipped to lose his Inverness seat to the SNP, could be elevated to the Lords after a defeat.

This would allow him to continue serving as Chief Secretary to the Treasury if there was a second Tory-LibDem coalition.

Other LibDems tipped for peerages include Charlie Kennedy, who is struggling to defend his Ross, Skye and Lochaber seat, and Sir Menzies Campbell, who is retiring.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/scottish-politics/snp-urge-other-parties-to-rule-out-house-of-losers.124286220

In this case, I throughly agree with the SNP. If I, a voter, decide to sack my MP, then the Executive should not subsequently go against my wishes and appoint him to a lifetime membership of the legislature. He should stay sacked. Similarly if an MP decides to stand down, if he wants to continue in public service he should be prepared to stand for an elective post. At the very least, MPs should have to wait out for a parliament before being allowed to be appointed to the Lords.

• Options

Mr. Felix, it'd be worse than that. Not speaking due to unease or censure is a better situation than not speaking because you'll be imprisoned.

Policy-makers seem to think that if you stop people from discussing contentious issues, then contentious issues will go away.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Ed Miliband problem very clear. He has no response on this. "It's not happening" is denial, not a line.
  • Options
    Your next PM

@nickeardley: Ed Miliband tells @MarrShow he thinks Labour can win the election in Scotland
  • Options
    @BrandonLewis: He can’t win a majority so it will be vote-by-vote, bill-by-bill negotiations between Mili and Salmond and Sturgeon. Who wins then?

@toadmeister: Jesus wept. @Ed_Miliband’s point-blank refusal to answer @AndrewMarr9’s questions about the SNP is infuriating

@montie: Miliband being incredibly evasive on how he'd deal with SNP MPs even though he needs them to become PM.English voters will've noticed #marr
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    I know my optimism has become a bit irritating to many here, so I've largely muted it. But it's genuine nonetheless, for all sorts of local reasons. More generally, my impression is that the East Midlands are going to be much like UNS, neither better nor worse. (I don 't know anything about the West Midlands - less than I know about Scotland.)

On shy Kippers - I always make a point of friendly enquiry to people who seem to be shy in expressing their views, partly just to be civilised but also to get the information (in one case it turned out to be "I think Hitler was right", so perhaps shyness was appropriate in his case). Obviously the small minority of people who really are racists currently have UKIP as the least bad option, but that doesn't make a UKIP vote racist. I think the most common cause of UKIP support is simply unease about immigration - not hatred of it, but feeling it's too much and Something Should Be Done. The weakness of the party is that they're not perceived to say much more than that. This is partly journalistic laziness - nobody bothers to report on UKIP's views on the economy, for instance - but if Farage really wanted UKIP to be seen as a broad brush party, he's had enough opportunities to focus on other things.

But are there a lot of shy Kippers? To friends maybe, to an anoymous pollsters I doubt it, and I think it's balanced by the lower probability that all of them will vote in the end.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Good morning. We them here, we see them there, we see these bastards everywhere:

And the prize for the most bizarre anti UKIP rant goes to... pic.twitter.com/IVQsRarpHM

She appears to be insinuating that the UKIP candidate knew what the questions were going to be, but doesn't quite say that.

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    saddened said:

Shy kippers? Seriously? In the, highly likely, event that Ed becomes PM, one of the very few things that will cheer me up, will be reading the comment pages of the like of the mail and telegraph. They are awash with loony liblabcon frothing now. It will be hilarious come May 8th.

Yes, shy kippers.

People who may worry how it will affect their career or business, such as foster carers in Rotherham.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    TGOHF said:

Your next PM

@nickeardley: Ed Miliband tells @MarrShow he thinks Labour can win the election in Scotland

Does he live in fantasy land ? Perhaps I can interest him in some tartan paint...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Policy-makers seem to think that if you stop people from discussing contentious issues, then contentious issues will go away.
    Didn't Burnham say it was unhelpful that the Stafford General stats got into the public domain? They really do treat us with contempt.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,154

saddened said:

Yes, shy kippers.

People who may worry how it will affect their career or business, such as foster carers in Rotherham.
    There are at least two newsagents in Castle Point with UKIP posters. One has a really big display!
  • Options
    @JGForsyth: Labour weren’t running a surplus after a decade of growth. If you’re not doing it then, you are never going to do it
  • Options
    @montie: Nonsense for Miliband to claim he leads his party.Unlike Kinnock he's constantly appeased his party- eg on tax, spending and borrowing #Marr
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,947
    Scott_P said:

How does this Rent Cap thing work..what will be the result.

We could ask the Shadow housing minster

@EmmaReynoldsMP: To be clear Mark and others, it is not Labour party policy to introduce rent controls. @Markfergusonuk

Oh
    If that is accurate, Emma Reynolds is lying, forgetful or playing semantic games. Labour Manifesto 2015:

"For the 11 million people who rent privately, we will legislate to make three-year tenancies the norm, with a ceiling on excessive rent rises. A ban on unfair letting agent fees will save renters over £600. We will drive standards up by creating a national register of private landlords. "

That is rent control.
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, hey, some of us put a lot of effort into making credible fantasy lands :p

Mr. F, the policymakers [a word too polite, I'd say] are damned fools who ought to be slapped around the head and neck with an enormo-haddock.
  • Options
    2000-2002 there was a surplus. Brown was still committed to Major's tax/spending plans.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465

It would be difficult for Alexander (or indeed anyone) to be Chief Secretary to the Treasury from the Lords.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    TGOHF said:

the "shifty fifty" SNP MPs are going to be gold standard popcorn once let loose in the capital..

candidate was last night forced to make a grovelling apology after the Sunday Express revealed he repeatedly used football-related sectarian slurs.

Brendan O’Hara, who is the favourite to win the crucial marginal seat of Argyll and Bute, called Rangers supporters “huns” on a Celtic fans’ website.

It is an extremely insulting and bigoted term for the Ibrox club and their followers, although some would argue it is derogatory to all Protestants.

I'm a hun and I fund it neither offensive nor bigoted for a tim to use the term.

More desperation from the Unionist mafia.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    TGOHF said:

Your next PM

I presume he means some sort of moral rather than electoral victory.
  • Options

MikeK said:

She appears to be insinuating that the UKIP candidate knew what the questions were going to be, but doesn't quite say that.

No she doesn't. She is clearly saying that the UKIP rep was the only one prepared to answer all the questions and that this was dreadfully wrong for the simple reason that the UKIP rep was competent and all the others weren't.
  • Options
    NickP

"I know my optimism has become a bit irritating to many here.................."

On the contrary. To many of us it's the only real proof that what we're seeing in the polls isn't a chimera. Don't be put off by the bitterness of the Tory posters. Their aggression only confirms what you are seeing
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Ed Miliband just made Boris look like a buffoon.Wow.

`When you are Tory leader,get rid of Lynton Crosby.He doesn`t do much for you`.

Left Boris bumbling....
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

It would be difficult for Alexander (or indeed anyone) to be Chief Secretary to the Treasury from the Lords.
    Yes, and indeed has there ever been a Chief Secretary in the Lords? Won't happen.
  • Options
    Flockers_pbFlockers_pb Posts: 204
    And in that moment we see why Boris Johnson Will Never Be Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: Ed Miliband problem very clear. He has no response on this. "It's not happening" is denial, not a line.

This is form. Miliband has repeatedly wished away problems he's not had solutions for, or produced asserted policy 'solutions' that quite simply won't / wouldn't have worked. It will be very different should he make it to No 10.
  • Options
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

I'm a hun and I fund it neither offensive nor bigoted for a tim to use the term.

You are a German ?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I'm loving the political pride thing from yougov above.

How's that for an ass-coverer if their polling proves to be wrong!
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    MikeK said:

Scott_P said:

Does he now, I wonder why?
    1) realised there may be mileage in it after Farage's declaration in the debate.
    2) Likes tautologies
  • Options

In this case, I throughly agree with the SNP. If I, a voter, decide to sack my MP, then the Executive should not subsequently go against my wishes and appoint him to a lifetime membership of the legislature. He should stay sacked. Similarly if an MP decides to stand down, if he wants to continue in public service he should be prepared to stand for an elective post. At the very least, MPs should have to wait out for a parliament before being allowed to be appointed to the Lords.

I half agree (but then as I support a near-fully elected upper chamber, I would).

There should be a minimum period IMO between a defeated MP losing his / her seat and their receiving a peerage. It's an affront to democracy to behave otherwise although governments of all stripes have done it. On the other hand, there's a long-standing practice of rewarding retiring MPs who have achieved distinction with a peerage and I don't have a problem with that. Given the Lords' role in revising legislation, their skills are useful and will be subject to decay if left for five years. Forcing them to wait would also make the Lords an even more geriatric chamber.

But as I say, I'd much rather that the Lords / Senate were fully elected with the exception of a small provision for Senators for Life.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,850
    Why is Milliband saying he'll run a current account surplus? Simply not true is it?
  • Options
  • Options
    isam said:

I realise that by elections are a different kettle of fish to a GE, but can anyone else justify the decision in the Ashcroft poll to treat R&S The same as any other seat weighting wise? Surely the fact Ukip won the seat should play some part in the methodology? Or does it make zero difference and was rightly ignored?

You are clutching at straws. Just sit back and wait for the Ed Miliband minority government to come in. In the HoC will be 1 to 3 UKIP MPs. Oh, and no referendum on Europe because there were not enough Conservative MPs elected. That is what the polls are saying will happen.
  • Options
    Roger said:
    The Nats didn't expect half these clowns and bigots to actually win. Much fun ahead.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

@BBCLouise: Andrew Marr has to begin programme with an apology to @Number10gov for saying last week that fox hunting is PM's favourite sport #marrshow
    Andrew Marr- sullying the PM's character in this way. His favourite sport is obviously stag hunting- much more elitist and befitting someone of his virtues.

Come on the Hammers

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

antifrank said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Lib Dems end up with more seats in Scotland than Labour.
    It's not inconceivable that the Tories might end up with more seats than Labour in Scotland. It'd be an interesting market to price. Without knowing the detail to that great a degree, I'd suggest that 10/1 might be around the mark.

The Conservatives have a chance in a small number of seats that they either hold already, are close in or hold the Holyrood equivalent. Crucially, these are all seats where the SNP is at its weakest in the country (though that doesn't mean they can't win). By contrast, every Labour seat north of the border is vulnerable to a much bigger swing. However, offsetting that is the fact that at the extremes, the SNP would indeed need a massive swing to take the last few.
  • Options
    Roger said:

NickP

"I know my optimism has become a bit irritating to many here.................."

On the contrary. To many of us it's the only real proof that what we're seeing in the polls isn't a chimera. Don't be put off by the bitterness of the Tory posters. Their aggression only confirms what you are seeing

All candidates who post here are highly confident.

Nick has better reason than most. If he doesn't win, then it will be a terrible night for Labour. They'll be down to under 240 seats.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    An observation regarding any YouGov polls:

In 2010 we were in a deep recession (caused by the dysfunctional folk from 'Oop-Norff'). People may have had more time to expend their anger against the said 'troupe-of-clowns' as they were not employed usefully.

In 2015 we are doing not-so-bad; we are even approaching Lord Layard's 2.75% long-term growth-rate (thanks Maggie)! Filling YouGov surveys is less important then work, rest and play! [Ahem!]

Of-course: Correlation =/= Causation. Hmm...!
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Agreed, as someone who grew up in the west of Scotland, from a family full of "huns" it's not "extremely insulting" or "derogatory".

It's also fairly desperate to dig up 20 year old comments about Mo Johnston and use them in an election campaign in this fashion.
  • Options
    Doesn't neccesarily match my book but here are my predictions for deepest holds and losses on the night:

Con HOLD: Brighton Kemptown
    Con Gain: Bath

Labour hold: Dumfries & Galloway
    Lab Gain: Ilford North

Lib Dem Hold: Berwickshire Roxburgh Selkirk
    Lib Dem Gain: Watford

SNP Hold:All 1-100 shots...
    SNP Gain: DCT

UKIP Hold: Rochester
    UKIP Gain: Great Grimsby.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    http://tinyurl.com/md3p8ng
    One website looking forward to a boost for business when Labour and Burnham return to power.
  • Options

Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Agreed, as someone who grew up in the west of Scotland, from a family full of "huns" it's not "extremely insulting" or "derogatory".

It's also fairly desperate to dig up 20 year old comments about Mo Johnston and use them in an election campaign in this fashion.
    I'm afraid the law says otherwise despite what your anecdotal uncle Toms say.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    All very negative on here today from resident conservatives. If conservatives win more seats, that's hardly a resounding victory for Miliband, nor real vindication of his policies or indeed his party. I'm assuming his mandate to govern will come solely from the so called anti Tory alliance in the HoC. All to play for, I think
  • Options
    Mr. Omnium, Labour have wibbled about the current account deficit [which I gather, from here, is the difference between exports and imports] recently, and running a surplus sounds good.

They've probably noticed the media don't have the first damned clue about the difference between debt and deficit, and are deciding to take advantage of that ignorance.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Omnium said:

Why is Milliband saying he'll run a current account surplus? Simply not true is it?

Omnium- I don't want to shatter your world, it came hard to me last week when I found out that there wasn't a Father Christmas, but politicians can tell porkies.
  • Options
    Mr. Abode, it's been interesting to observe the ebb and flow of confidence on the site as the polls remain absolutely unchanged :p
  • Options

I half agree (but then as I support a near-fully elected upper chamber, I would).

There should be a minimum period IMO between a defeated MP losing his / her seat and their receiving a peerage. It's an affront to democracy to behave otherwise although governments of all stripes have done it. On the other hand, there's a long-standing practice of rewarding retiring MPs who have achieved distinction with a peerage and I don't have a problem with that. Given the Lords' role in revising legislation, their skills are useful and will be subject to decay if left for five years. Forcing them to wait would also make the Lords an even more geriatric chamber.

But as I say, I'd much rather that the Lords / Senate were fully elected with the exception of a small provision for Senators for Life.
    Indeed. I would go for the Australian model of an elected senate with pre-1911 House of Lords powers. In which case, if a retiring MP wanted to stand for it, he could.

I see no reason to have appointed Senators.

The problem with retiring MPs being appointed to the Lords is that it gives them another incentive to continue to grovel to their party leaders and/or the Executive, if they continue on the back benches after retiring from a ministerial career. It would be better if they could continue to use that skills and experience independently. So I would completely remove the opportunity for someone to appoint them to a sinecure for life.

• Options

An observation regarding any YouGov polls:

In 2010 we were in a deep recession (caused by the dysfunctional folk from 'Oop-Norff'). People may have had more time to expend their anger against the said 'troupe-of-clowns' as they were not employed usefully.

In 2015 we are doing not-so-bad; we are even approaching Lord Layard's 2.75% long-term growth-rate (thanks Maggie)! Filling YouGov surveys is less important then work, rest and play! [Ahem!]

Of-course: Correlation =/= Causation. Hmm...!

It seems to me that the shift in Yougov's weightings three weeks ago is what has led to them giving Labour a small, but consistent, lead, after weeks of the parties being level-pegging.

This shift to Labour hasn't been picked up by the other pollsters.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Sean_F said:

Looking at the various swings for E & W:-

Survation have 2.4% Con to Lab; Opinium 3.5%, Yougov 5%.

Yougov's Midlands/Wales segment is the most generous to Labour among all pollsters - and their Wales specific polling is picking up tiny shifts so the implied big switch is in the Midlands.

Yougov 6.2%
    Survation 4.3% (excl Wales)
    ICM 3.9%
    Populus 3.7% (excl Wales)
    Ashcroft 3.1% (excl Wales)
    Ipsos 2.8% (excl Wales)
    Comres 2.0% (excl Wales)

Ashcroft's recent marginals in the Midlands have largely been in the 3-4 range.

Yougov look out of synch.
  • Options

isam said:

You are clutching at straws. Just sit back and wait for the Ed Miliband minority government to come in. In the HoC will be 1 to 3 UKIP MPs. Oh, and no referendum on Europe because there were not enough Conservative MPs elected. That is what the polls are saying will happen.
    You are a boring troll with nothing to offer
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited April 2015
    Can someone please explain the difference between the first and second graphs ?

Is it 20% of Labour supporters proud to tell their friends and family but 62% proud themselves ?

I am using Labour as an example because they are the highest in both. Why such a divergence ?

I can understand some people's reluctance to discuss politics in the workplace. Recently, in my company, I was asked which party I supported [ part of an election chat ]. I said Labour and I wish I could record the faces of some of the Managers.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Your next PM

The naivety of the man beggars belief. His premiership is going to be one long set of car crashes. Great for political observers but the economic pain may harm a generation.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Yes, and indeed has there ever been a Chief Secretary in the Lords? Won't happen.
    No, there hasn't - although the position was only created in 1961.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited April 2015

isam said:

Oh, and no referendum on Europe because there were not enough Conservative MPs elected. That is what the polls are saying will happen.
    If Conservative MPs had voted in favour of an EU referendum in 2011 it would have passed. But Mr Cameron had a three line whip opposing the referendum, and the majority of the parliamentary Conservative Party happily voted it down.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/8847123/EU-referendum-how-the-MPs-voted.html

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,850

Mr. Omnium, Labour have wibbled about the current account deficit [which I gather, from here, is the difference between exports and imports] recently, and running a surplus sounds good.

They've probably noticed the media don't have the first damned clue about the difference between debt and deficit, and are deciding to take advantage of that ignorance.

Sorry I mistyped - he said 'current budget'. And yes the 'current account' is usually used for something different - the trade balance (much as you describe).

What I think he's saying is that somehow the ongoing spending of the government will be in surplus, and as far as I can see that's a long, long way from the truth. Especially as he also mentioned repaying debt - as far as I know no Labour government has ever done that! (Tories did it only briefly)
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited April 2015

Even assuming the Conservatives had a very good election and won 300-310 seats, it is open to doubt whether a Bill authorising a referendum on EU membership would carry. The Tories would have to rely on the DUP and a dwindling number of backbench Labour Eurosceptics to get it through. The rest of the Labour Party, the Liberal Democrats and the Scots would oppose en bloc. Unless they were prepared to devote the whole of a session to the Bill, it is difficult to see how it would pass.
  • Options
    Dair

"More desperation from the Unionist mafia. "

Maybe yiou can answer the question I asked downthread. Why does the SNP's favourite webbsite 'Wings over Scotland' use a logo based on the Waffen SS? It's not that I mind just that every time I read one of your or Scotslass's posts I start humming the Horst-Wessel

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/5981/thirdreicheagle.jpg

http://wingsoverscotland.com/
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Omnium said:

But that is the Labour policy isn't it all along ? Labour has been saying that they will move to a surplus on "current spending" but not overall expenditure as Labour plans to invest in the "capital account". So I am not sure he is saying anything different.
This discussion has been closed.