Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herson asks: Where’s Cleggy?

124»

Comments

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    SO He was widelytaken apart by the MSM .and as he is a proven speaker of mistruths then on this occasion I will go with the Press.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

If Lord Ashcroft Question 1 is completely right, and Q2 completely wrong then the Lib Dems are looking at an almost complete wipeout with just Carmichael and Farron left I reckon.

Julian Huppert will hold on in Cambridge. I think there were a couple of SW London seats where the LDs were ahead even without Q2 too.
    Huppert gets a 7% swing from Q1 to Q2.
    My Labour party member friend in Cambridge thinks Huppert wins.

I never argue with pessimism :-)
    Lib Dem seat betting is one area I've screwed up this GE (Consistently too high)

0-10 -110.68
    11-20 -10.68
    21-30 -25.205
    31 -42.5
    32 -42.5
    33-40 -5.83
    41-50 84.17
    51+ -5.83

is the sorry tale.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,994

SO He was widelytaken apart by the MSM .and as he is a proven speaker of mistruths then on this occasion I will go with the Press.

OK
  • Options
    B Sykes I rather fancy the press will be focussed on the horrific earthquake in the Himalayas..
  • Options
    Actually that's the Tories down two.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,324

It's not in the least surprising .The man is working his socks off and must have a total information overload.I couldn't care less what team any of them support.I want to hear more details about all the manifestos.What they mean for me and my family.

The media are not doing us any favours by concentrating on trivia.No wonder the public has tuned out and the polls are moribund.

Why the hell did Cameron feel the need to indicate support for a football club in the first place? This just comes over as him lacking authenticity which is bad. So what if he doesn't have a football team that he cares about?

This isn't trivia but about the man.

Because there are lots of idiots out there (especially in the media) who think that anyone who does not support a football club, or like football, are odd.

I'd love a mainstream politician to say "Look, I don't give a rat's a*se about football. Next question." But they'd get crucified - they wouldn't be 'in touch'; they wouldn't be 'normal'.

Given that most people don't watch football, even at the world cup, it seems odd that every politician is expected to like the sport. It's likely many, when they say they like it or support a club, are lying.

And a timely article:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-men-who-hate-football-1615946.html
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

JackW said:

POSTER WATCH - ST. ALBANS

Whilst I was driving through the outskirts of leafy St Albans Mrs JackW did her duty by PB and noted the following :

Con 6 .. Lab 5 .. LibDem 15 .. Green 1 .. UKIP 0 .. PC 0 .. SNP 0 .. Respect 0 .. NI 0 .. Speaker 0

PB yellow perilists shouldn't throw their sandals in the air in gay abandon as the dreaded orange diamonds (and candidate portrait posters) usually litter the streets by about 4 to 1.

For the first time in ages, St. Alban's is no longer a marginal seat.
    Indeed. Solid Con Hold.

• Options
    ukelectukelect Posts: 106
    I have updated UK-Elect to take account of recent polls. The new forecast is here: < a href="http://www.ukelect.co.uk/HTML/forecasts.html">UK Forecast That page contains a link to detailed forecasts for every UK seat.

Of course it may be out of date now that David Cameron has apparently forgotten which football team he supports.,,
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,052
    Mr. M, Disraeli.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,348
    I think some of our Labour friends on here are rather overplaying this West Ham Villa thing. I haven't encuntered such a skewed sense of significance since Ed's Wonder Week.
  • Options
    More people go fishing at the weekend than watch football .. the sport of idiots..
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    ukelect said:

I have updated UK-Elect to take account of recent polls. The new forecast is here: < a href="http://www.ukelect.co.uk/HTML/forecasts.html">UK Forecast That page contains a link to detailed forecasts for every UK seat.

Of course it may be out of date now that David Cameron has apparently forgotten which football team he supports.,,

Looks like you have the Nats pissing up almost everywhere.

Which is pleasing.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    PaulM said:

MikeK said:

So Cam reckons the first BME PM will be a Tory. ...

It would be true to form.

First Jewish leader (and PM)
    First unmarried leader (and PM).
    First female leader (and PM).
    Oldest leader this century (and PM).
    Youngest leader this century (and youngest PM this century)
    First openly homosexual leader (Scottish rather than UK level)

I see no reason why the first non-white leader shouldn't be a Tory either.
    First Jewish leader is not true. D'israeli converted to christianity long before he became PM, but of course for the vast majority of UK christians of all types - even today, once born a Jew, always a Jew.
    Wasn't Michael Howard the first Jewish leader of a major UK party ?
    Herbert Samuel, Liverpool Jew, led the Liberals 1931-35...
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

If Lord Ashcroft Question 1 is completely right, and Q2 completely wrong then the Lib Dems are looking at an almost complete wipeout with just Carmichael and Farron left I reckon.

Julian Huppert will hold on in Cambridge. I think there were a couple of SW London seats where the LDs were ahead even without Q2 too.
    Huppert gets a 7% swing from Q1 to Q2.
    My Labour party member friend in Cambridge thinks Huppert wins.

I never argue with pessimism :-)
    OK but I have serious doubts about any Lib Dem in a University town. A Kingston University [ not comparable ] poll [ scientific ? ] shows support for the LDs dropping from 52% to 5%.
    Such a poll result says more about Kingston University than about the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,033

It's not in the least surprising .The man is working his socks off and must have a total information overload.I couldn't care less what team any of them support.I want to hear more details about all the manifestos.What they mean for me and my family.

The media are not doing us any favours by concentrating on trivia.No wonder the public has tuned out and the polls are moribund.

Why the hell did Cameron feel the need to indicate support for a football club in the first place? This just comes over as him lacking authenticity which is bad. So what if he doesn't have a football team that he cares about?

This isn't trivia but about the man.

Because there are lots of idiots out there (especially in the media) who think that anyone who does not support a football club, or like football, are odd.

I'd love a mainstream politician to say "Look, I don't give a rat's a*se about football. Next question." But they'd get crucified - they wouldn't be 'in touch'; they wouldn't be 'normal'.

Given that most people don't watch football, even at the world cup, it seems odd that every politician is expected to like the sport. It's likely many, when they say they like it or support a club, are lying.

And a timely article:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/the-men-who-hate-football-1615946.html
    Every politician is supposed to have a wife and family as well, despite the fact that a lot if us don't.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,325
    When are pollsters going to start asking whether people are registered to vote? And excluding anyone who isn't?

When are we going to get final electorate numbers?
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,994
    Has any leader apart from Cameron said he/she supports a football team? In fact, are there any government or shadow ministers that have? I think Balls might support Norwich, but we don't seem to have too many others that make a thing about supporting a team. Which makes Dave's faux fandom even stranger.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

POSTER WATCH - ST. ALBANS

Whilst I was driving through the outskirts of leafy St Albans Mrs JackW did her duty by PB and noted the following :

Con 6 .. Lab 5 .. LibDem 15 .. Green 1 .. UKIP 0 .. PC 0 .. SNP 0 .. Respect 0 .. NI 0 .. Speaker 0

PB yellow perilists shouldn't throw their sandals in the air in gay abandon as the dreaded orange diamonds (and candidate portrait posters) usually litter the streets by about 4 to 1.

For the first time in ages, St. Alban's is no longer a marginal seat.
    Indeed. Solid Con Hold.

Hills have it as
    Con 1/16
    lab 8/1
    LD 20/1

Thought it might have been more of a three way like Watford
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,324

Has any leader apart from Cameron said he/she supports a football team? In fact, are there any government or shadow ministers that have? I think Balls might support Norwich, but we don't seem to have too many others that make a thing about supporting a team. Which makes Dave's faux fandom even stranger.

Ahem:
    http://www.fanatix.com/news/politicians-who-support-football-teams-nick-clegg-loves-arsenal-david-cameron-sounds-like-a-chelsea-fan-but-hes-not/588724/2/
    http://www.sunnation.co.uk/which-football-teams-do-these-politicians-support/
    http://www.football.co.uk/aston-villa/which-football-teams-do-the-party-leaders-support/5874142/
    And David Miliband was even on the Sunderland board.

As usual, your attack lines are rather weak when they meet reality.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

Andy Burnham is a massive Evertonian
    Think he goes every home game.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Andy Burnham is a massive Evertonian
    Think he goes every home game.

Labour health secretary put Everton above the NHS?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    I love football and if a politician said they didn't like it I couldn't care less. Wouldn't alter my opinion of them in the slightest, I hate plenty of people that like football

Of course it's the PR driven fakeness that's off putting.

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

Ed Miliband- Leeds fan
  • Options

Ed Miliband- Leeds fan
    Nick Clegg - Arsenal fan
  • Options

Ed Miliband- Leeds fan
    Nick Clegg - Arsenal fan
    Alex Salmond - Hearts fan
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

If you type into Google "the SNP are", it's first suggestion is

"the snp are racist"

for comparison I get

ukip = racist
    conservative party = bad
    labour party = a social democratic party

I get no suggestions for the Liberal Democrats.

This discussion has been closed.