Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New ComRes battleground polling finds UKIP struggling in it

13»

Comments

• Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Ave_it said:

We (CON) just need to get on the phone to SNP.

'You back us and our first act will be to give you independence'.

Then we get rid of them from the UK Parliament and its CON majority for ever! And we can all have unlimited tax relief on our pensions!!!

I'd back that. I'm with Salmond
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Time for Mike to lay off on Ukip over 1.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    DC whipping up English nationalism? Gosh! I'd like to see what he would do if he really wanted to win.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Pulpstar said:

Have to say that I am very dubious of both the Comres polls SW LD seats and this one .
    They both show the Conservative share well up on 2010 which is not born out in any national poll . It means that if they are well up in both these sets of seats the Conservatives must be well down in other seats perhaps Con/Lab marginals .

Reread Mr Senior ! Con is 7% down, Lab 2% up.
    Oooppss , yes what happens when you are playing online bridge at the same time
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    dr_spyn said:

Artist said:

dr_spyn said:

ITV News ‏@itvnews 1m1 minute ago
    Labour might woo voters by acknowledging a potential SNP alliance, writes @tombradby #GE2015 http://www.itv.com/news/2015-04-22/tory-snp-attacks-are-a-scare-tactic-but-labour-could-turn-a-potential-alliance-to-their-advantage/

So Salmond wasn't joking...

It could be sold as the first properly UK wide government Lab/SNP/PC/SDLP/DUP. Forget the Greens.
    On Saturday the PC candidate in Clwyd South was being helped by a guy with a SNP badge.
    The parties often cross-campaign and they allow dual membership. They are in electoral and parliamentary alliance.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,134

Any clues as regards tonght's YouGov poll? I'm expecting parity to be restored.

Any clues as regards tonght's YouGov poll? I'm expecting parity to be restored.

The other day I knocked up a quick C++ program to calculate poll scores for every day until the election, as I could not stand not knowing what the very next poll was going to show. If people ask nicely I'll post the raw code here so they can relieve their poll-mania.

Utterly random and pointless of course, but the chances are that it'll still be more accurate than at least one of the pollsters ...
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    antifrank said:

Uri Geller certainly had some eclectic friends.

Not bad for a man who build his career on the differentiated heating of spoons.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    One way to find out if someone is fit for trial or not is to make a libellous statement against him. !
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Artist said:

Artist said:

Going on the UKIP Ashcroft figures: Boston 35%, Thurrock 36%, Great Yarmouth 31%, S Basildon 29%, Castle Point 36%

That'd mean UKIP are only averaging 4.3% in the other five. Pretty unlikely.

The poll could also indicate the Tories are building up big leads in their safe seats though.

Taken together with the SW Lib Dem marginals poll ComRes is certainly more friendly to the Tories than Ashcroft.

I have a vague recollection of ComRes doing marginal polling for GE2010. I wonder how well that turned out?
    I think this was how all marginal polling was conducted before the 2010 General Election rather than at a constituency level.

They weren't very accurate
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/apr/28/liberal-democrats-labour-marginals-poll
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/election-2010/7673406/General-Election-2010-marginal-poll-points-to-Conservative-majority.html
    Thanks for digging that up.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Then we get rid of them from the UK Parliament and its CON majority for ever! And we can all have unlimited tax relief on our pensions!!!

People need to remember the example of Czechoslovakia.

Within 18 months of a No vote in both Slovakia and the Czech Republic, both went their own way without a further vote. It was politically expedient.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Awww, poor Dave, God bless his little cotton socks.

Emily Gosden @emilygosden · 1 hr 1 hour ago

BBC's @itschrissmith bets Prime Minister £1,000 he won't win a majority. @Conservatives not happy. #LiveLoungeCameron http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11556421/BBC-accused-of-left-wing-ambush-on-David-Cameron-over-hostile-Radio-1-interview.html
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    If Labour get in with the SNP propping them up, they'll be begging for the union to end after about 18 days I reckon.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Have to say that I am very dubious of both the Comres polls SW LD seats and this one .
    They both show the Conservative share well up on 2010 which is not born out in any national poll . It means that if they are well up in both these sets of seats the Conservatives must be well down in other seats perhaps Con/Lab marginals .

Pulpstar said:

Greetings Messr Senior, Focus & Barchart - LibDem Lawyers for PB .... :smile:

What's your best estimate for LibDem seats?

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Dair said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@iankatz1000: BREAKING Gordon Brown accuses Cameron of "whipping up English nationalism" http://t.co/V9o406uF9t #newsnightlive

I still don't understand this accusation. The SNP do want to end this country as it currently exists, and that will have an impact on how they will act in parliament. The Scottish voters seem happy with what they will choose to do in parliament, but the rest of the UK is allowed to comment on whether they too are happy with that, and they can vote accordingly if they want to avoid or reduce the SNP's direct influence on the government (either through massive Labour or Tory gains). And some would want to encourage the SNP influence as a result of the 'warning' so what's the problem?

How is pointing that out and letting people decide if it matter so much to them to change their vote whipping up nationalism? It's not being ruled by Scots that is the problem except in a few instances, it's being ruled by a party that does not have the interests of the union at heart (nor should they, that's not their focus).
    There's this view that the English owe the Scots deference.
    Given their history of being conquered by pretty much everyone (even the French), I think history tells us the English give deference to everyone whether it is owed or not.
    As you believed this morning that the UK's expenditure in WW 2 was financed entirely out of 1932 War Loan stock, I don't think history tells you anything very clearly.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

36 . Jack
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If Labour get in with the SNP propping them up, they'll be begging for the union to end after about 18 days I reckon.

Who says Labour will be given permission to beg?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Dair said:

Ave_it said:

Within 18 months of a No vote in both Slovakia and the Czech Republic, both went their own way without a further vote. It was politically expedient.
    That appears to have been due to the behaviour of the politicians. It was not in response to the wishes of the public.

"In 1992, the Czech Republic elected Václav Klaus and others who demanded either an even tighter federation ("viable federation") or two independent states. Vladimír Mečiar and other leading Slovak politicians of the day wanted a kind of confederation. The two sides opened frequent and intense negotiations in June. On 17 July, the Slovak parliament adopted the Declaration of independence of the Slovak nation. Six days later, Klaus and Meciar agreed to dissolve Czechoslovakia at a meeting in Bratislava. Czechoslovak president Václav Havel resigned rather than oversee the dissolution which he had opposed; in a September 1992 poll, only 37% of Slovaks and 36% of Czechs favoured dissolution.[2]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissolution_of_Czechoslovakia
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Dair said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@iankatz1000: BREAKING Gordon Brown accuses Cameron of "whipping up English nationalism" http://t.co/V9o406uF9t #newsnightlive

I still don't understand this accusation. The SNP do want to end this country as it currently exists, and that will have an impact on how they will act in parliament. The Scottish voters seem happy with what they will choose to do in parliament, but the rest of the UK is allowed to comment on whether they too are happy with that, and they can vote accordingly if they want to avoid or reduce the SNP's direct influence on the government (either through massive Labour or Tory gains). And some would want to encourage the SNP influence as a result of the 'warning' so what's the problem?

How is pointing that out and letting people decide if it matter so much to them to change their vote whipping up nationalism? It's not being ruled by Scots that is the problem except in a few instances, it's being ruled by a party that does not have the interests of the union at heart (nor should they, that's not their focus).
    Given their history of being conquered by pretty much everyone (even the French), I think history tells us the English give deference to everyone whether it is owed or not.
    As you believed this morning that the UK's expenditure in WW 2 was financed entirely out of 1932 War Loan stock, I don't think history tells you anything very clearly.
    It might have helped if you had read and/or understood the thread you commented on. But the re-writing of facts that don't suit seems to be another trait of the "English is best" crowd.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Smarmeron said:

BBC's @itschrissmith bets Prime Minister £1,000 he won't win a majority. @Conservatives not happy. #LiveLoungeCameron http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11556421/BBC-accused-of-left-wing-ambush-on-David-Cameron-over-hostile-Radio-1-interview.html

That bet would be well-arbable.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    Ishmael_X said:

Dair said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Ye gods! Was that only this morning? It feels like last week.

• Options

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

36 . Jack
    Thank you .... do you have any interesting snippets from your regional LibDem seats?

BTW .... I hope you are well stocked with your favourite tipple for election night ??

• Options
    Dair said:

Ave_it said:

The Czechs didn't want to continue to fund the Slovak liabilities in the post-communist slump.
    But what will the SNP do with its independence that it can't do now?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    isam said:

When survation gave Farage an 11pt lead in Thanet, I took into account they overstate Ukip by 20% in both by elections and reasons he was prob. 6-7% ahead

Com res understate by 30% compared to average, meaning Ukip could be on 27% in these seats if all pollsters did them

So. I say Ukip are not dead! I will take bets to this effect

Email me for any you wAnt , working/dating now

I'm surprised as a Kipper you are showing any signs of negativity!

What we have is a pollster that underestimates UKIP polling tiny samples without naming candidates and groups together 10 strange seats. What is the reasoning for comres choosing these random seats and sticking them together? Perhaps if polled separately we would have UKIP ahead or neck and neck in 2 seats of the 10 then that would be a major headline headache for the Tories. I still remain confused about comes and the motive behind this 'poll' and what it is supposed to achieve.

What I am quite sure of is UKIP are leading in Thurrock and neck and neck in Castle Point. If I were to assume they will win Clacton and one of Thanet or Rochester (I have no extra information here mind) then 3 or 4 seats remains very likely. 11% or 16% the national numbers won't affect these seats much at all you would think, its simply all about the local ground game.

Interesting Evan Davis interview with Farage, Davis bringing up Paddington Bear and Farage comparing himself to Tigger. Strange election.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    Dair said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I prefer to think of it as being conquered by french speaking Northmen. It hurts less. But seriously, other than the Normans, who conquered the English? I don't think William of Orange taking over counts. I suppose there were some of the other Viking invaders.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Interesting Evan Davis interview with Farage, Davis bringing up Paddington Bear and Farage comparing himself to Tigger. Strange election.

I watched that. Shoddy research and blatant bias from Team Newsnight. Again.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Ishmael_X said:

Dair said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

It might have helped if you had read and/or understood the thread you commented on. But the re-writing of facts that don't suit seems to be another trait of the "English is best" crowd.
    Um, it's the trait of most crowds. Pretending otherwise is to be a living example of it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,042
    Sheppey well off!!!! (rollin)... I would love to have what Rob Ford is drinking. If you don't know an area at all don't comment on it...
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Dair said:

Ishmael_X said:

Dair said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

OK. You said this:

"Remember, the UK paid it's entire War Bond Debt from WW2 in a single payment three years ago. The entire domestic borrowing for the whole of WW2 in one payment."

What were you on about?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

I confess it does get my goat and gander up .... and probably many other members of the animal kingdom too, to hear politicians moaning that they've had a hard time and the media are so beastly.

Excellent I say. Politicians need to reminded (almost certainly daily with a sharp poke) that they serve the people and the media mostly act as our agents to keep the bastards honest.

They are not there to fawn over the buggers but to test them to within an inch of their expense claims and often risible promises, evasions and half truths.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    edited April 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Barnesian said:

The average for these ten seats is almost exactly in line with my model plus Ashcroft.

No surprises. I don't think this poll adds any new info.

How do you have Cannock Chase on your model ?
    My model shows Cannock Chase as:
    Con 36% Lab 39% LD 4% Grn 4% UKIP 17%
    But Ashcroft has:
    Con 27% Lab 32% LD 8% Grn 2% UKIP 30%

It looks as if UKIP has got perhaps an extra 9% from Con and 4% from Lab.
    Green is squeezed dry by Lab.
    Although LD is squeezed, there's more squeezing for Lab to go for. Perhaps another 4%.
    With no clear winner between Con and UKIP, it's hard to see one of them persuading the other to vote for them to stop Lab.

With no knowledge of the local picture, I would guess probability of winner is 60% Lab, 20% Con, 20% UKIP.

Cannock Chase is number 39 on my list of 47 Lab gains from Con.
  • Options
    Oh, Farage got an interview too? Best watch. I thought Clegg did the best so far, not that it will help him at all, with Miliband far below his usual quality due to a very different approach.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

36 . Jack
    Thank you .... do you have any interesting snippets from your regional LibDem seats?

BTW .... I hope you are well stocked with your favourite tipple for election night ??

As I posted the other day , I have heard from 2 sources neither Lib Dem that the Conservatives are no longer targeting Carshalton/Wallington but putting all their efforts into Sutton and Cheam
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,732
    JackW said:

Smarmeron said:

I confess it does get my goat and gander up .... and probably many other members of the animal kingdom too, to hear politicians moaning that they've had a hard time and the media are so beastly.

Excellent I say. Politicians need to reminded (almost certainly daily with a sharp poke) that they serve the people and the media mostly act as our agents to keep the bastards honest.

They are not there to fawn over the buggers but to test them to within an inch of their expense claims and often risible promises, evasions and half truths.

Goat, gander and fawn - quite a menagerie.
  • Options

Brom said:

Well exactly.

How could Newsnight possibly think Farage was a Peruvian immigrant ?

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Brom said:

No doubt Farage stating that he would cut the BBC to the bone has got them rattled.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Watching the cricket, I reckon if the Aussies really want to take the piss they could get something like 1,000 for 7 in three days then bowl England out by lunch on the last day.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Dair said:

Ave_it said:

The Czechs didn't want to continue to fund the Slovak liabilities in the post-communist slump.
    So one side wanted to get away from the debts of another.

Interesting.
  • Options

Dair said:

Ave_it said:

That appears to have been due to the behaviour of the politicians. It was not in response to the wishes of the public.

"In 1992, the Czech Republic elected Václav Klaus and others who demanded either an even tighter federation ("viable federation") or two independent states. Vladimír Mečiar and other leading Slovak politicians of the day wanted a kind of confederation. The two sides opened frequent and intense negotiations in June. On 17 July, the Slovak parliament adopted the Declaration of independence of the Slovak nation. Six days later, Klaus and Meciar agreed to dissolve Czechoslovakia at a meeting in Bratislava. Czechoslovak president Václav Havel resigned rather than oversee the dissolution which he had opposed; in a September 1992 poll, only 37% of Slovaks and 36% of Czechs favoured dissolution.[2]"

I fully agree that this also apples to the UK:
    "The people who argue events between 1989 and 1992 point to international factors such as the breakaway of the Soviet satellite nations, the lack of unified media between the Czech and Slovak republic, and most importantly the actions of the political leaders of the two nations"

The biggest underlying issue that lead to the current state in scotland apart from North Sea Oil is that there isn't a unified media & sports market in the UK.
    The scots have their own sports teams, their own newspapers and their own TV channels that only they watch and read.

As a result the scottish people are culturally isolated from the rest of the country and vise versa, for example nobody in england has heard of Nesbitt or reads the Scotsman.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Just had a very charming LibDem canvasser at the door interested in the destination of my postal vote.

For my election bribe, I asked for a years supply of House of Commons wine.

As Eric Joyce won’t be returning, there will be a surplus of alcohol needing drinking.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Brom said:

No doubt Farage stating that he would cut the BBC to the bone has got them rattled.
    He'll never get the chance to do it, so while they won't like it, it shouldn't rattle them. What the Tories decide to do should worry them, assuming the Tories get in.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

36 . Jack

As I posted the other day , I have heard from 2 sources neither Lib Dem that the Conservatives are no longer targeting Carshalton/Wallington but putting all their efforts into Sutton and Cheam
    Thanks.

Lewes, Eastleigh and Eastbourne look OK.

Portsmouth South is a mess - what's your assessment

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Salmond has become a parody of and an embarrassment to himself.
    Is he afflicted by the curse of the celts ?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    surbiton said:

One way to find out if someone is fit for trial or not is to make a libellous statement against him. !

To be fair Janner is now in his late eighties, so dementia is quite possible. Any case against him would be based on memories of what happened 30-40 years ago. There is very little if any forensic evidence, just distant memories of accussor and accused to base a trial on.

The case should have been properly investigated when Paul Winston made his accusations in court during the Frank Beck case. Both those names have a very interesting google; but this is from Hansard:

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1991/dec/03/contempt-of-court

Ironically Janners proudest achievement as an MP was the War Crimes act, so that frail elderly people could be pursued to the grave for evils committed decades before. I believe that his dementia is compounded by Chutzpah*.

*Chutzpah is a Yiddish word defined by a comedian as a man on trial for murdering his parents begging for clemency because he is an orphan.
  • Options

JackW said:

Smarmeron said:

Goat, gander and fawn - quite a menagerie.
    A menagerie a trois ?

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064
    Why are canvassers so keen on postal voters?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dair said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I prefer to think of it as being conquered by french speaking Northmen. It hurts less. But seriously, other than the Normans, who conquered the English? I don't think William of Orange taking over counts. I suppose there were some of the other Viking invaders.
    So a triple dip for the Vikings. Might as well stick your women on the beach legs akimbo. I guess you still do and call it Geordie Shore.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Because people who have a postal vote are more likely to use it.

• Options
    Ishmael_X said:

"Remember, the UK paid it's entire War Bond Debt from WW2 in a single payment three years ago. The entire domestic borrowing for the whole of WW2 in one payment."

What were you on about?

I was on about a ridiculous request to "repay the Darien fund". So my example had an error, the point was still correct. Old debts tend not to be worth considering. It's also a good example of how you can shrink National Debts without making payments.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    England having trouble getting the final wicket in Grenada. Latest: 284/9.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,013
    Speedy said:

Dair said:

Ave_it said:

"The people who argue events between 1989 and 1992 point to international factors such as the breakaway of the Soviet satellite nations, the lack of unified media between the Czech and Slovak republic, and most importantly the actions of the political leaders of the two nations"

The biggest underlying issue that lead to the current state in scotland apart from North Sea Oil is that there isn't a unified media & sports market in the UK.
    The scots have their own sports teams, their own newspapers and their own TV channels that only they watch and read.

As a result the scottish people are culturally isolated from the rest of the country and vise versa, for example nobody in england has heard of Nesbitt or reads the Scotsman.
    You ought to come to Scotland and look at a supermarket newspaper counter and watch the state broadcast news on TV!

And why on earth do you think they have English subtitles on Rab C. Nesbit? My southern friends found them very useful.

• Options
    kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

Brom said:

He'll never get the chance to do it, so while they won't like it, it shouldn't rattle them. What the Tories decide to do should worry them, assuming the Tories get in.
    Farage has made one of the more high profile attacks on the BBC. It has been an issue brought up on the doorstep. Drawing attention to the scandal that is the television tax can only be a good thing.

There are an awful lot of Tory MPs looking to scrap the television tax.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064
    Neil said:

Because people who have a postal vote are more likely to use it.

Fair point but I'd imagine the typical postal voter is the sort who has already made up their mind.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Speedy said:

Dair said:

Ave_it said:

Interesting.
    You will have to make scotland an economic wasteland that costs far far more to maintain than it's income to make the UK to abandon it to it's fate.

Scotland costs just about more that 7 billion pounds extra a year to maintain while North Sea Oil revenues at max is just about more than 8 billion a year, so at max the benefit is very small but in 10 years time it will turn to a net loss of around 10 billion a year, so the question is if propping up scotland from collapsing is worth it or not.

Same goes for the eurozone ironically.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Interesting anecdote from my daughter's school today:

All 5 candidates for Hertford and Stortford did a 6th form hustings/Q&A thing. Then 175 6th formers voted, results as follows (Change on share in H&S last time in brackets FWIW)

Mark Prisk (Con) 38.8% (-14.4)
    Green 28.6 (+28.6)
    Lab 22.9 (+9.1)
    LD 7.4 (-18.6)
    UKIP 2.8 (-0.3)

So "Con hold" even amongst 6th formers! Have to say I was a bit surprised. In 1992 in my school's mock election LD beat Con by ~15% despite the local result (Stratford-on-Avon) being more than 2:1 the other way (Labour nowhere...)

LDs brand absolutely shot amongst the kids and UKIP lost its deposit.

#JustABitOfFun
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

36 . Jack

Thanks.

In Eastleigh the number of lib dem posters is well down. We have also had no literature from the lib dens at all
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Just had a very charming LibDem canvasser at the door interested in the destination of my postal vote.

As Eric Joyce won’t be returning, there will be a surplus of alcohol needing drinking.

Just met a Green canvasser tonight, nice guy, but a recent convert - kept him chatting for ten minutes - on basis he can't knock on too many doors tonight - helps lower his productivity. Hadn't the heart to say that the postal vote hadn't been sent off...
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    MP_SE said:

kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

Brom said:

Farage has made one of the more high profile attacks on the BBC. It has been an issue brought up on the doorstep. Drawing attention to the scandal that is the television tax can only be a good thing.

There are an awful lot of Tory MPs looking to scrap the television tax.
    Labour, Conservatives and LibDems won't radically reform the BBC.Indeed I would be surprised if anything was changed at all, over and above a bit of an argument over the level of the licence fee. This is despite the fact that technological advances are putting more and more pressure on the concept of the licence fee.
  • Options
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

Dair said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

So a triple dip for the Vikings. Might as well stick your women on the beach legs akimbo. I guess you still do and call it Geordie Shore.
    What does Georgie Shore have to do with scottish independence?
    Is it an SNP demand of some sort?
  • Options
    Have now heard from all four major parties here in Leyton and Wandsted. TBH the fact that Labour have been in contact twice rather surprised me - the seat is as safe as houses.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    MonikerDiCanio

What on earth are you on about. The SNP will be delighted to feature once again dominating the news bulletins. Salmond's achievement is extraordinary taking the SNP from nothing to where it stands today.

Three qualities he undoubtedly has. One he can speak. Two he relates to people and three he isn't boring like Cameron.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    England having trouble getting the final wicket in Grenada. Latest: 284/9.

I am sort of hoping England lose this series. Who knows, the powers that be might actually do something to reform cricket.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Dair said:

Ave_it said:

Rab Nesbitt used to be UK TV. Difficult to understand mind!

• Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    Hurrah!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    saddened said:
    My thanks for this link:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-whistleblower-claims-theresa-ignored-5420145

Another damning article on the long standing tolerance of child abuse by the South Yorkshire plods.

And appropriate that the letters were sent to politicians from Labour, LibDems and the Conservatives and that none of them responded.

• Options
    Jess Brammar ‏@jessbrammar 44m44 minutes ago
    We weren't able to take cameraman into meeting where Gordon Brown speaking tonight - was a small campaign event & they hadn't invited media
  • Options
    currystar said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

36 . Jack

Thanks.

In Eastleigh the number of lib dem posters is well down. We have also had no literature from the lib dens at all
    I'm not surprised at all.

As each general election passes the willingness of the voters to publically display their allegiances seems to diminish.

Within Herts I've seen far fewer posters for all parties with the notable exception of Watford where Dorothy Thornhill seems to hold sway.

Even the fields and rural trees seem to have lost the appetite to vote Conservative.

• Options
    JackW said:

Brom said:

Well exactly.

How could Newsnight possibly think Farage was a Peruvian immigrant ?

Paddinton goes to the Circus was the first book I regretted reading. It was boring. A traumatic moment. :-(
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

saddened said:
    My thanks for this link:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/police-whistleblower-claims-theresa-ignored-5420145

Another damning article on the long standing tolerance of child abuse by the South Yorkshire plods.

And appropriate that the letters were sent to politicians from Labour, LibDems and the Conservatives and that none of them responded.

Do you have trouble reading things that disprove your argument?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Speedy said:

Dair said:

Ave_it said:

While there are many candidates for lamest British sitcom to go to multiple series Rab C Nesbitt must be in the top three with Mrs Browns Boys in second and Last of the Summer Wine in first.

• Options

Speedy said:

Dair said:

Ave_it said:

That's the point, nobody outside of scotland could understand what was going on.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Just met a Green canvasser tonight, nice guy, but a recent convert - kept him chatting for ten minutes - on basis he can't knock on too many doors tonight - helps lower his productivity. Hadn't the heart to say that the postal vote hadn't been sent off...
    I am hoping to do that to any canvassers but alas I live in an ultra safe Tory seat where the MP does sweet FA and romps home every election. I would like to know the PPCs' thoughts on various issues and a total of 0 have got back to me. Poor show all around.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Dair said:

Ave_it said:

While there are many candidates for lamest British sitcom to go to multiple series Rab C Nesbitt must be in the top three with Mrs Browns Boys in second and Last of the Summer Wine in first.

Last of the Summer wine could be good! I've always wanted to meet Foggy.

• Options
    JackW said:

As each general election passes the willingness of the voters to publically display their allegiances seems to diminish.

Within Herts I've seen far fewer posters for all parties with the notable exception of Watford where Dorothy Thornhill seems to hold sway.

Even the fields and rural trees seem to have lost the appetite to vote Conservative.

In 2010 I saw almost no posters AT ALL for any party. The A10 in NE Herts this time is replete with Oliver Heald posters, plus a few local election ones, and lots of generic "conservative" ones in Bishops Stortford fields. On a run earlier I did a double take as I saw 3 Labour posters in a row in 3 adjacent detached houses - did make me wonder if it was an audacious guerrilla raid by an enthusiastic Labourite...
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

saddened said:
    My thanks for this link:

Typical Mirror smear. Criminal activity is a matter for THE POLICE , not politicians.

• Options
    New THread
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Speedy said:

Dair said:

Ave_it said:

No! Rab was hilarious. There was another Scottish one "Still Game" which was hilarious as well. Some of the same actors
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Dair said:

Ave_it said:

That's the point, nobody outside of scotland could understand what was going on.
    It wasn't hard to understand, just not at all funny, so the impression was that you must have missed something.

Mind you I survived a year of NZ TV once. Their sitcoms are even worse than the Australians.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Grandiose said:

Have now heard from all four major parties here in Leyton and Wandsted. TBH the fact that Labour have been in contact twice rather surprised me - the seat is as safe as houses.

Maybe they don't think so - they have the data from the D2D canvassing.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,211
    JackW said:

I was in Toronto last October during their elections and it seemed just about everyone wanted to display their allegiance to one side or another. And I was in Munich last March and there was a lot of signage up for their elections.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

dr_spyn said:

I am hoping to do that to any canvassers but alas I live in an ultra safe Tory seat where the MP does sweet FA and romps home every election. I would like to know the PPCs' thoughts on various issues and a total of 0 have got back to me. Poor show all around.

No sign of UKIP or the Independent For Bristol (ex Con candidate in Newport).

All Labour leaflets have been delivered by post, but if they are making an effort it is in wards they control. Odd thing is that there is nothing from Labour about the candidate's biography - though the last leaflet had her chatting with Harman.

Have the Pledge 4 immigration controls mug to offer the Lab canvassers a nice cup of tea.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Dair said:

Ave_it said:

?
    There are plenty of regional accents I find difficult to understand. Rural ireland, liverpudlians, geordies, teenagers. None of 'em speak proper!

• Options
    perdix said:

saddened said:
    My thanks for this link:

Typical Mirror smear. Criminal activity is a matter for THE POLICE , not politicians.

So what do you do if its the police which are engaging in the criminal activity ?

As Parliament have been told that the South Yorkshire Police have been doing.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

JackW said:

In 2010 I saw almost no posters AT ALL for any party. The A10 in NE Herts this time is replete with Oliver Heald posters, plus a few local election ones, and lots of generic "conservative" ones in Bishops Stortford fields. On a run earlier I did a double take as I saw 3 Labour posters in a row in 3 adjacent detached houses - did make me wonder if it was an audacious guerrilla raid by an enthusiastic Labourite...
    I see that the Tories are spending their war chest wisely, filling the extremely safe Tory seat (Maj.30.1%) of N.E. Hertfordshire with campaign material.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Dair said:

Speedy said:

Dair said:

Ave_it said:

Interesting.
    You will have to make scotland an economic wasteland that costs far far more to maintain than it's income to make the UK to abandon it to it's fate.

Scotland costs just about more that 7 billion pounds extra a year to maintain while North Sea Oil revenues at max is just about more than 8 billion a year, so at max the benefit is very small but in 10 years time it will turn to a net loss of around 10 billion a year, so the question is if propping up scotland from collapsing is worth it or not.

Same goes for the eurozone ironically.
    To get the true figure you need to discount the £10bn subsidy Scotland pays to England (on average) each year. England gets about £3bn per annum from Scotland before any Oil and Gas Revenues are tallied.

But the idea that once those revenues are gone Westminster will cast Scotland off is also farcical.

You only need to look at Wales which 100 years ago was one of the richest countries on earth and is now one of the poorest regions of Europe. Once Westminster has syphoned off the money from natural resources (coal in Wales case) it will then apply its vice to the wealth of the people and slowly but surely diminish the wealth of the Nation/Region until it is in poverty and genuinely reliant.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

36 . Jack

Thanks.

Not entirely correct about Carshalton/Wallington. The same effort has been going into it from the start, but no central resource. Matthew Maxwell Scott, ex-Wandsworth, now local lad has got good electoral experience unlike his predecessor, so will continue to put up a good fight.

Tom Brake, the yellow, is pro a local incinerator there and Greens are quite rightly bashing him on the head about it. Who knows if Greens can nick enough votes or not, but they are thicker on the ground than normal.

Also, one Lib Dem Cllr has been banished for being anti-incinerator so there is a minor civil war going on in this constituency. Punters don't like a divided party so Lib Dems will be on tenterhooks.

Sutton/Cheam, huge effort going in and only time will tell if it will yield results. Libs putting up their cllr allowance by 2.2% has gone down badly. All to play for with Libs shooting themselves in the feet.

Electoral Calculus showing both Tory gains but as usual they will be some incumbency effect.
  • Options
    saddened said:

saddened said:
    My thanks for this link:

Do you have trouble reading things that disprove your argument?
    It proves my argument.

Theresa May has done nothing.

Calling for Sean Wright to resign when everyone else was isn't doing anything.

I'll repeat:

Parliament has been heard evidence in private from the Home Office researcher that her 2002 report had been greeted with hostility by South Yorkshire police. She said they had heard evidence that the researcher had been contacted by two officers who threatened to pass her name to the groomers in Rotherham and she had been left in fear of her life.

That happened on about 8th September 2014.

Now show me what response Home Secretary Theresa May or policing Minister Mike Penning have made to that.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

So is anyone surprised by the details in today's Times about the timing of Lord Janner's 'health problems' ?

The interesting idea they floated was the "finding of fact" hearing - feels like someone has hinted at a possible compromise.

I am very sceptical about the timing (given the details repeated today - I think they were already known?). If Janner doesn't have the mental capacity to mount an effective defence then it would be wrong for him to be convicted.

But it is absolutely wrong for the CPS to make this decision. It should be up to the judge, possibly even pre-trial, to make that choice.
  • Options
    http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_r_s.html#SuttonandCheam

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_c_e.html#CarshaltonandWallington

Two Tory Gains if Electoral Calculus is correct! My reading is C/W will be bigger surprise but I assume longer odds and better value.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    o/t The gay marriage referendum in Ireland (some political betting light relief after the UK general election) has produced some good campaign videos. This is probably my favourite:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkwYEhjjZhs

A no result would be a serious two fingers to the luvvies of Ireland. Almost every Irish comedian, singer, actor or sportsperson you can think of has rowed in behind yes
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    dr_spyn said:

Jess Brammar ‏@jessbrammar 44m44 minutes ago
    We weren't able to take cameraman into meeting where Gordon Brown speaking tonight - was a small campaign event & they hadn't invited media

Must have been a puppetry practise session.
  • Options
    Charles said:

So is anyone surprised by the details in today's Times about the timing of Lord Janner's 'health problems' ?

The interesting idea they floated was the "finding of fact" hearing - feels like someone has hinted at a possible compromise.

I am very sceptical about the timing (given the details repeated today - I think they were already known?). If Janner doesn't have the mental capacity to mount an effective defence then it would be wrong for him to be convicted.

But it is absolutely wrong for the CPS to make this decision. It should be up to the judge, possibly even pre-trial, to make that choice.
    Isn't he going to the be the key witness even in a finding of fact scenario? Is that not a little contradictory?

(I know a bit about this sort of thing, but this is beyond my understanding.)
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Dixie said:

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_r_s.html#SuttonandCheam

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/conlist_c_e.html#CarshaltonandWallington

Two Tory Gains if Electoral Calculus is correct! My reading is C/W will be bigger surprise but I assume longer odds and better value.

Warning, another website gives very different figures
    http://electionforecast.co.uk/tables/predicted_probability_by_seat.html.

The one site may say that Labour is say 37% likely to win a seat and the other may say that the seat is a 100% certain Tory hold.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Speedy said:

No one in Scotland reads the Scotsman.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

All 5 candidates for Hertford and Stortford did a 6th form hustings/Q&A thing. Then 175 6th formers voted, results as follows (Change on share in H&S last time in brackets FWIW)

Green 28.6 (+28.6)
    Lab 22.9 (+9.1)
    LD 7.4 (-18.6)
    UKIP 2.8 (-0.3)

So "Con hold" even amongst 6th formers! Have to say I was a bit surprised. In 1992 in my school's mock election LD beat Con by ~15% despite the local result (Stratford-on-Avon) being more than 2:1 the other way (Labour nowhere...)

#JustABitOfFun

I find it so incredibly depressing when young people come out as Tories, beyond words. I kind of understand why the oldies get there- moaning and embittered with life finally drives them to the dark side, but not young people.
    My friends daughter recently came out as a Tory much to his disgust. How did he get his parenting so wrong?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    BTW- I am about 70% sure that the YouGov Poll is going to go back into a tie, or even inch slightly to Labour. If my theory is right, I'll let you know.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Green 28.6 (+28.6)
    Lab 22.9 (+9.1)
    LD 7.4 (-18.6)
    UKIP 2.8 (-0.3)

#JustABitOfFun

I find it so incredibly depressing when young people come out as Tories, beyond words. I kind of understand why the oldies get there- moaning and embittered with life finally drives them to the dark side, but not young people.
    My friends daughter recently came out as a Tory much to his disgust. How did he get his parenting so wrong?
    Children differing from their parents views is no bad thing and them supporting the Conservatives is understandable if they're doing it, rightly or wrongly, for libertarian anti-establishment reasons.

Many teenagers will have spent their life under a schooling system which is statist and leftist and parents who are leftist public sector employees so to many being pro Conservative is a sign of rebellion.

This discussion has been closed.