Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New study points to UKIP’s support base being more middle c

1235»

Comments

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Anyone want to offer odds that Grant shapps will still be conservative party chairman at the 2015 party conference?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    If I were a Greenie, and given the existence of Natalie Bennett, I'd be implacably opposed to personality-based sniping as a way of doing politics.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    Pong said:

Anyone want to offer odds that Grant shapps will still be conservative party chairman at the 2015 party conference?

If the Tories win, he'll go out on a high, if they lose, he'll be sacked.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    edited April 2015
    I do enjoy reading the words of pessimistic Labour and Pessmitic Tory sections of their respective parties. Right or wrong, it shows not everyone stays on message above all else.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Pong said:

I'd be interested in backing Michael Green to be conservative party chair at the next conference.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017

isam said:

@tissueprice

You reckon the ComRes Ukip seats poll is behind the dough laying Tories in Thanet?

Ukip 1.86 in Thurrock looks like polling info too

I expect it will be aggregate data like the other ComRes polls (London/SW). Not expecting it to be brilliant for UKIP.
    I see com res last three Ukip polls were 10 12 and 12, so a bit below the average... Still interesting to see which seats they've polled and of course, the findings

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    According to Electionforecast the following are the only sub 50% probability SNP gains.

Dumfries and Galloway 37%
    Rutherglen and Hamilton West Scotland 35%
    Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale 22%
    Dunfermline and West Fife 19%
    Orkney and Shetland 16%

They have Berwickshire Roxburgh Selkirk as a Tory gain in their model too, mind with the SNP in third.

• Options
    Plato said:

NEW THREAD

Where? Not another case of TSE prematurely.. ahem..posting?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Plato said:

NEW THREAD

I take that as a plea, rather than a statement of fact?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Carnyx said:

BBC news homepage appears to have a Welsh option and... Scottish? It's Alba.

Cornish next, I'd guess. And then a Yorkshire dialect version.

Yes, Alba is Scottish - more specifically Gaelic mainly but often bilingual/subtitled so no-one is left out. Some excellent programmes; I used to watch the current affairs programme Eorpa [edit: anglice, Europe] without fail.

I watch the rugby on it.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Ishmael_X said:

If I were a Greenie, and given the existence of Natalie Bennett, I'd be implacably opposed to personality-based sniping as a way of doing politics.

Her boyfriend has some unpleasant views.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Polruan said:

Neil said:

Pulpstar said:

Polruan said:

Pulpstar said:

Richard Symonds, who had accused Tory co-chairman of creating a fake identity on the online encyclopedia to boost his reputation, is a Lib Dem activist, Telegraph reveals

Lib Dems - Smearing here.

The fact that he might be motivated to release information by his party allegiance doesn't automatically mean that it's fabricated. Or am I missing something in the logic?
    I don't know, but Shapps is an easy target
    I dont think the fact that this is exactly the kind of stunt one would expect Shapps to pull means it is any less likely that he actually did it.
    It's an odd story. I don't see how it can be conspiracy because anyone obsessive enough to spend two years putting in the groundwork would surely have picked a more damaging project to a higher profile target - I mean, if true, it would be embarrassing to a normal person, but Shapps is not a normal person (or even 3 normal people) and he's already publicly known to have done equally dumb/dishonest stuff. Could it have been falsified by creating a raft of back-dated edits? Doesn't sound possible. Could anybody else have genuinely felt so strongly about his biography that they kept on correcting omissions and removing criticisms? Sounds even less possible. So what's left?
    A couple of possibilities immediately spring to mind. Firstly, the allegations could be genuine. Secondly, contribsx could be a random Shapps-fan, determined to defend him from the scorn of lefties and those Tories not able to appreciate his brilliance, that the LibDem wiki editor has wrongly accused of being in cahoots with Shapps.

I wouldn't rule out number two as being fanciful. The internet is pretty good at bringing to public attention the most unusual extremes of human behaviour. There must be someone in the country who thinks that Shapps is the foremost politician of our age.
    Nowt queerer than folk (particularly internet folk):

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/22/milifandom-soars-with-twitter-backing-for-labour-leader-ed-miliband

Ed is most definitely not crap! He is the new Harry Styles.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    There's nothing like a few days in China to remind you what a fantastic country the UK is. Flying home tomorrow. God bless Blighty.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    Plato said:

I loved that sketch. I'm a fellow Goodies boxsetter. King Kitten remains my fav, along with the OK Tea Rooms and Graham falling in love with his computer

"Kung Fu Kapers" was always my favourite, and still is. I think partly because I loved the "Kung Fu" tv series. Just looked on Amazon to see if I can buy (and re-live) that in fact.

Strange how these elements fit together to form your world picture. To this day if anyone asked me to list martial arts I'd certainly find Ecky Thump drifting into my thinking.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Should I get on a Labour win in East Lothian, on the basis of the Edinburgh South poll and the strong "No" vote there? 11/8 with Paddy power, maybe not attractive enough.

SNP win by 500 votes. I'd leave well alone as that's a cast iron certainty. ;)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,135
    edited April 2015
    Hmmm. The stupid terrorists are not always this, well, stupid.

http://time.com/3831126/paris-extremist-paris-france-church/

(Edit: linky changed, will hopefully work now)
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Danny565 said:

Should I get on a Labour win in East Lothian, on the basis of the Edinburgh South poll and the strong "No" vote there? 11/8 with Paddy power, maybe not attractive enough.

What does your model reveal for Dumferline West Fife ?
  • Options
    I loved Monkey
    Omnium said:

Plato said:

I loved that sketch. I'm a fellow Goodies boxsetter. King Kitten remains my fav, along with the OK Tea Rooms and Graham falling in love with his computer

"Kung Fu Kapers" was always my favourite, and still is. I think partly because I loved the "Kung Fu" tv series. Just looked on Amazon to see if I can buy (and re-live) that in fact.

Strange how these elements fit together to form your world picture. To this day if anyone asked me to list martial arts I'd certainly find Ecky Thump drifting into my thinking.
  • Options
    I've just had a lovely email from Justine Miliband thanking me for raising £2 million for the Labour campaign.

How lovely.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,482
    Looks like 5USA is on Freeview 21 - that's why I was confused (Spike uses its old slot, Freeview 31).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Carnyx, 'ey up. Ta.

Miss Plato, I think that's based on the Chinese classic Journey to the West. Not seen the programme, but the book's pretty good (not as good as Outlaws of the Marsh, though).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908
    Election catch-up: What are the chances of Ed Miliband becoming prime minister?
    A straw poll in the Westminster bubble gives it to Miliband by 55 per cent to 45 per cent

John Rentoul EICIPM
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Plato said:
    I think it is in the staging area about to be published? Probably why it has a published time before this thread.

Edit: hang on a minute, both threads have the same title??
  • Options
    Remember - Don't back Ed, lay Dave if you're trading Betfair:

But Cameron’s chance of staying on as Prime Minister is rather lower than the remaining 45 per cent. If the anti-Tory bloc fails to achieve a majority, Cameron would probably still need the support of the Liberal Democrats – and possibly of the DUP as well – to survive.
  • Options
    EICIPMM - Ed is Crap is Pubescent Masturbation Material! #milifandom
  • Options
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

"Wank Fodder" as it was affectionately known.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302

"The BBC is unable to independently verify the identity of the owner of the account as they say they are no longer giving interviews."

As fishy as a Contribsx wilipedia edit.
  • Options

BJO: what do you say now it looks as though Hinchinbrooke Hospital under Circle was nowhere near as sh*te as you were telling us it was?

;-)
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Pulpstar said:

Remember - Don't back Ed, lay Dave if you're trading Betfair:

But Cameron’s chance of staying on as Prime Minister is rather lower than the remaining 45 per cent. If the anti-Tory bloc fails to achieve a majority, Cameron would probably still need the support of the Liberal Democrats – and possibly of the DUP as well – to survive.

Indeed so but if he stayed on would the LDs or DUP no confidence him assuming he had more seats and votes than Labour? I suspect if the rainbow left forces fall short of 323 he will have a chance.
  • Options

BJO: what do you say now it looks as though Hinchinbrooke Hospital under Circle was nowhere near as sh*te as you were telling us it was?

;-)
    Not seen whatever you are referring to but I do know that CIRCLE withdrew as Emergency Care Tariff makes running an Acute hospital a mugs game.

Lansley has made Acute Healthcare unsustainable
  • Options

;-)
    I don't think that you have seen the whole picture JJ; the revisit several months on showed that Hitchinbrooke had significantly improved from the autumn report. It did not say the autumn report was wrong.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    Plato said:
    Yep - I quite liked Monkey, and my younger brother loved it.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited April 2015
    http://news.sky.com/story/1470021/the-truth-behind-food-bank-election-grenade

Any correction from the BBC on this? Facts matter as they keep telling us?

Chris Mould, chairman of Trussell and Labour Party member, deliberating releasing a press release that is factually incorrect. There is an issue here, but it is pretty disgusting behaviour to weaponize like this, rather than reporting facts in a honest way.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

A straw poll in the Westminster bubble gives it to Miliband by 55 per cent to 45 per cent

John Rentoul EICIPM

If I had to put my house on it I'd put it on Ed to be PM in 16 days and I've consistently said over the past five years I can't ever, ever see him as PM.

The woe.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Are the authors really saying that UKIP has similarities to, say, FN in France ?
  • Options

Have you seen Shaolin Soccer or Kung Fu Hustle? The latter's disconnect between subtitles and dubbing can't be a mistake - it's side splittingly funny.
    Omnium said:

Plato said:
    Yep - I quite liked Monkey, and my younger brother loved it.

• Options

;-)
    Not seen whatever you are referring to but I do know that CIRCLE withdrew as Emergency Care Tariff makes running an Acute hospital a mugs game.

The Emergency care tarrif was introduced before Lansley came to power as I remember. Decided in 2009 and implemented from April 2010.
  • Options
    PB prominence and Smithson hype Augurs bad for Ukip
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Fenster said:

John Rentoul EICIPM

If I had to put my house on it I'd put it on Ed to be PM in 16 days and I've consistently said over the past five years I can't ever, ever see him as PM.

The woe.
    It might even be down to one seat - are the Tories disadvantaged by having the Speaker occupying a Tory seat?
  • Options
    Fenster said:

John Rentoul EICIPM

The woe.
    You would lose your house then. Even if Miliband does eventually become PM, it would likely take at least a week before the dust settles and Cameron resigns.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    The Lab-SNP stuff seems to be getting some traction...so I'm going to predict a move to Labour. The polls haven't been playing ball this whole time, it'd be just like them to take the opposite path to what I'd expect now.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Fenster said:

John Rentoul EICIPM

The woe.
    Miliband only becomes PM in 16 days in a '97-style clear outcome. Unless the result is clear Cameron remains PM for however many days it takes to get a result negotiated (as Brown did in '10).
  • Options

;-)
    I don't think that you have seen the whole picture JJ; the revisit several months on showed that Hitchinbrooke had significantly improved from the autumn report. It did not say the autumn report was wrong.
    Thanks have seen it now. A re-inspection was carried out in January

After a second assessment of Hinchingbrooke the CQC has now rated the hospital as "requires improvement", but it has not been removed from special measures.

Hinchingbrooke remained "inadequate" for whether it was well-led

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Norm said:

Fenster said:

John Rentoul EICIPM

The woe.
    It might even be down to one seat - are the Tories disadvantaged by having the Speaker occupying a Tory seat?
    No - there are 3 deputies - 1 Tory and 2 Labour I believe. (And in any case it is probably better for the Tories that Bercow can't vote (TIC))
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Miliband only becomes PM in 16 days in a '97-style clear outcome. Unless the result is clear Cameron remains PM for however many days it takes to get a result negotiated (as Brown did in '10).

Cameron could resign immediately, as Gordo could have done.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited April 2015
    Seems Gareth beat me to the point.

Have there been any polls today?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    SeanT said:

WTF are the SNP playing at? Are they trying to destroy Labour's chance of election? It is surely in their interests for them to be kingmakers to a weak Miliband. Are they that convinced that a Tory government is better for the SNP longterm?

Or are they just getting absurdly hubristic and cocky?

Of course, it stands to reason they want a Tory government. All they have said is that they will not support one.

Tories will give them super DEvomax in return for reduced seats at the next GE. The SNP could not give a monkeys about that since they will extract another promise: a referendum re: the EU, automatically triggers a referendum on the future of Scotland. Tories would happily concede that too.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758

;-)

The Emergency care tarrif was introduced before Lansley came to power as I remember. Decided in 2009 and implemented from April 2010.
    Circle would have bid with that taken into account. They did not bid enough to run the hospital. I remember also seeing that Circle had wider financial issues to deal with.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Danny565 said:

What does your model reveal for Dumferline West Fife ?
    SNP by 8000 as long as I have read table correctly, am on mobile.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    new thread
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Scott_P said:

Cameron could resign immediately, as Gordo could have done.
    Gordo was asked to stay on as PM by the cabinet secretary, per the usual convention in the circumstances. When the coalition talks dragged on, Gordo had enough and resigned, forcing the Lib/Cons to do the deal quickly.

• Options
    JEO said:

This makes a lot of sense to me. UKIP support is in the C1 and C2 groupings. They're people that work hard and have put a bit of money aside, but are increasingly frustrated by the combination of (1) people that don't play by the rules seem to do just as well, often supported by the state, and (2) the wealthy have increasingly pulled away from them in financial terms. This explains a lot of their political views: they feel they are too highly taxed to support people who don't deserve it, they aren't quite rich enough to insulate themselves from the negatives of immigration, and they resent the bankers and politicians that seem to make endless mistakes and yet still get endless perks. These are the people that Thatcher won in the 1980s, and would be called "Reagan Democrats" by the Yanks. The Conservatives really need to win them back.

hmm...well, i don't play by the rules (socially not legally), am a workshy slacker (although not on the dole or claiming any out of work benefit or housing benefit) and have a never paid a penny of income tax in this country, but i'm voting ukip (in argyll & bute to reply to pulpstar).

• Options

;-)
    Alternatively, Circle's claims about the report were correct ...
This discussion has been closed.