Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “Cameron has wanted out for a while – just wants to go out

SystemSystem Posts: 11,684
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “Cameron has wanted out for a while – just wants to go out on a high” : Tim Montgomerie

Cameron’s great strength is that he’s always been seen as more popular than his party something that had appertained since he became leader nine and half years ago. There is little doubt that he is an electoral asset.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    edited April 2015
    Hm. "Too many tweets..."?

The Neil tweet is just a statement of the obvious.

Whilst Tim Montgomerie is not exactly Dave's closest ally and confidante is he?

Whatever I think about Dave, I hardly think anyone could say "he's wanted out". All the evidence is he still rather enjoys his jolly job of "being PM" (which is part of the problem!)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Whatever I think about Dave, I hardly think anyone could say "he's wanted out". All the evidence is he still rather enjoys his jolly job of "being PM" (which is part of the problem!)

Quite. Reading a little too much into things, I suspect.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    There is little love lost between them, would not read much into it, as Tim M himself said 'I’ve never been David Cameron’s favourite Conservative. Some years ago he was asked if he’d support bombing a certain foreign country. On one condition, he replied. One bomb would have to remain in the payload and on the return journey it should be dropped on me and the website I used to edit'
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4412608.ece
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2015

I said this at the time...the big thing from the interview he did with James Landale, wasn't "I won't do a 3rd term" that caught all the nonsense headlines, it was something else.

He was asked directly, do you enjoy the job of being PM? He paused, he thought for a second or two, and then waffled with a total non-answer about rewarding doing public service and work left to do. It was clear the answer was actually no I don't really enjoy it and there wasn't any real passion in what he said either about public service either.

Can you imagine Thatcher being asked you know his PM lark, you enjoy it...she would have ripped the interviewer a new one. She lived and breathed for the job, Brown lived and breathed to get the job, Cameron doesn't.

There are actually positives to somebody running government without meddling in every decision, without having your own cabinet looking like they might shit themselves. But the thing is to get to that position, you have to have some real fight. Cameron didn't really fight in 2010, and he isn't now.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    I can't really see this going anywhere significant. "Some people are saying Cameron maybe wants to go at some point" isn't a message that's really going to resonate with the public
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    edited April 2015
    "Power resides where men believe it resides. No more and no less." said Lord Varys (or maybe, Peter Mandleson, I always get them confused).

If DC makes it clear he's going before a potential 3rd term, his authority starts to bleed away from the second he says it. It's just a countdown from then
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2015
    Conservatives deliver balanced budget ahead of election

No I am not lying....it just happens to be in Canada.....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/budget-main/article24046411/

I rather doubt we will be reading a similar headline in 2020 (or Labour balanced budget either).
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Posts: 103
    He needs a miracle to go out on a high at this point. Unless the high involves shooting up or smoking a special kind of cigarette before handing over the keys to number 10 to Red Ed under remote control from Scotland.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    FU Indeed, though they have been in office almost 10 years, so still a bit of time for Dave and George to catch up. Not that it is likely to stop Trudeau ousting Harper as PM later this year
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    I wasn’t aware Tim Montgomerie was privy to the private thoughts of David Cameron or the inner workings of the Tory machine, quite the opposite in fact.

Isn’t this just more of Monti chewing wasps from the side lines?
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Nope it will not change the narrative

Sorry it just won't

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Moses_ said:

Nope it will not change the narrative

Sorry it just won't

To clarify most in the street will have no idea who this guy is

Until theBBC fill them in of course
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,786
    I raised a question yesterday about the reliability of Oddschecker's odds on seat level after finding a discrepancy. Tissue Price was kind enough to reply (thank you, btw) and raised the point that when it comes to seat levels, Oddschecker only tracks price changes, not line changes. While I think that can't be true for all cases, it is worrying. So two questions as follows:

1) Do you agree/disagree with the statement that "Oddschecker is not a reliable source when it comes to seat levels"
    2) Are there alternative archives of seat levels?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    I doubt the media's ready to move off the SNP yet, they're interesting and funny.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited April 2015
    Montie appears to be doing his best to get excommunicated at the moment by launching his Blairite "GoodRight" movement two months before the election.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/03/08/thatcherites-launch-attack-on-taliban-tim/
    In his cutting remarks, Blaney said: “Like Lady Thatcher, I seem to smell the stench of appeasement in the air. By calling for a greater and greater role for the state, and deriding those of us who dare to disagree with him as being evil – for that is the opposite of good – Tim is doing the work of our enemies and is acting as a latter day Michael Heseltine”.

Blaney observed: “I did not enter politics to do the bidding of my political opponents, to slow the ratchet and to manage the decline of our nation. Just because others have lost courage, and see fit – two months out from an election – to attack the rest of us for being “evil” does not mean that we should sit back or take these insults lying down. If there is a fight for the soul of the Tory Party then I’m ready to go toe to toe with those who want it to become a Christian Democrat, centrist party in the European tradition”.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    The Tory campaign may not be the most uplifting in political history, but they are doing what they need to do to win. If I were a donor that is all that would really bother me. Unless, perhaps, I was a staunch Tory Unionist.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    New narrative: #milifandom

Deep thought: What if Ed isn't crap?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

New narrative: #milifandom

Deep thought: What if Ed isn't crap?

Define "crap". For about half the electorate anyone left of centre is by definition "crap" and for the other half, anyone on the right! Leaving that aside for me the biggest problem is he fails the three iconic PM tests:

The "Queen Speech" test, is this man going to stand up and propose a load of dangerous ideological bollocks that will damage my country.

The "Putin" Test ("Is this the man I want to send to represent our country when we are negotiating with Putin"),

The "Cenotaph" test, although not as badly as he predecessor, Mr Foot, but I still winced as his lack of gravitas last Remembrance Sunday.

There are people on the left that pass these tests, but Miliband isn't one of them, Frank Field on the other hand, I might not agree with his positions, but he has integrity, experience of life, and appears to think about the outcome of his policies beyond their political utility.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,224
    Just a quickie, but beginning to think that the anti-nat tactical voting message is getting at least some partial traction in Scotland. From what we see, The odds in Gordon are too rich on Salmond, for example. Problem is the Labour vote really is so soft, but even still there could be one or two surprising victories against the SNP trend.
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    Labour doing all the right things to get into power, with all that money the Tories have failed to convince. In the end the voters will not be bullied into voting Tory and negative campaigns against Miliband or the SNP will not work. Reasonable people consider UKIP to be more extreme than the SNP and also the other potential Tory partners, the Lib Dems have lost the trust of the electorate. Cameron is stuffed and can't convince through what has been a costly and ineffective campaign.Who to blame is a delicious conundrum?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Labour doing all the right things to get into power, with all that money the Tories have failed to convince. In the end the voters will not be bullied into voting Tory and negative campaigns against Miliband or the SNP will not work. Reasonable people consider UKIP to be more extreme than the SNP and also the other potential Tory partners, the Lib Dems have lost the trust of the electorate. Cameron is stuffed and can't convince through what has been a costly and ineffective campaign.Who to blame is a delicious conundrum?

Very poor - back to the trolling training centre.
  • Options
    Very surprised there's no thread header leading on the Tories regaining the lead with You Gov.
  • Options
    TW1R64TW1R64 Posts: 56
    felix said:

Very surprised there's no thread header leading on the Tories regaining the lead with You Gov.

I think Mike is angling for a job with the BBC
  • Options
    TW1R64 said:

felix said:

Doubt it, they don't generally do reports on MoE movements in daily polls either.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

You could at least try to look like you are not cut and pasting Labour position papers and press releases. Incidentally more people will be voting for UKIP than SNP.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    TW1R64 said:

felix said:

He had one.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    TGOHF said:

Interesting point on the 50 new nat MPs - there will be some colourful types in there who were not expecting to win...

There is a myth amongst the Unionists that the SNP's new MPs will be some sort of handicap and lots of loose cannons and liabilities just waiting to be called out in the naitonal press.

It seems to ignore that the pool the SNP had to choose from was huge. The Referendum threw up hundreds of tireless, quality, switched on campaigners. That's where people like Mhairi Black and Chris Law came from. The SNP has some real talent in this new line up, talent not previously in the party but sourced from a huge pool.
  • Options

TW1R64 said:

felix said:

Doubt it, they don't generally do reports on MoE movements in daily polls either.
    If you look back at thread headers here you will see a clear pattern.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    felix said:

TW1R64 said:

felix said:

I don't think OGH's preference for yellow sandals is exactly a secret ;)

But this is increasing drowned out by the tedious cutandpastery of various activists desperate to tell us about how wonderful their party is and what the latest line to take is.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Interesting point on the 50 new nat MPs - there will be some colourful types in there who were not expecting to win...

There is a myth amongst the Unionists that the SNP's new MPs will be some sort of handicap and lots of loose cannons and liabilities just waiting to be called out in the naitonal press.

It seems to ignore that the pool the SNP had to choose from was huge. The Referendum threw up hundreds of tireless, quality, switched on campaigners. That's where people like Mhairi Black and Chris Law came from. The SNP has some real talent in this new line up, talent not previously in the party but sourced from a huge pool.
    My point was not that the 50 new SNP MPs would be talentless lobby fodder, that would have just been a like for like for SLAB. They will be committed activists, though some would never have been expecting Westminster careers.

The problem is that many of the things that they are passionate about are in the hands of Holyrood already. They do not care much for Union or English affairs, yet that is what they will spend time on.

Intelligent, committed albeit parochial people will get bored quickly discussing the Dawlish railway or Hospital reconfiguration in Leicester. They will either fail to turn up much (which would give effective EVFEL) or would get up to the variety of hijinks that bored intelligent people do. I think that they will get frustrated pretty quickly.
  • Options
    No trolling or cutting and pasting just a Labour voter noting tha the Tories are stuffed, wrong campaign and damaged leader. Miliband could be prime minister,in fact using a mathematical model it is difficult to see how Cameron can hang on, even if he wanted to do so. He is well and truly stuffed.
  • Options

Dair said:

TGOHF said:

My point was not that the 50 new SNP MPs would be talentless lobby fodder, that would have just been a like for like for SLAB. They will be committed activists, though some would never have been expecting Westminster careers.

The problem is that many of the things that they are passionate about are in the hands of Holyrood already. They do not care much for Union or English affairs, yet that is what they will spend time on.

Intelligent, committed albeit parochial people will get bored quickly discussing the Dawlish railway or Hospital reconfiguration in Leicester. They will either fail to turn up much (which would give effective EVFEL) or would get up to the variety of hijinks that bored intelligent people do. I think that they will get frustrated pretty quickly.
    I think that is likely to happen.
  • Options
    Chilcot pushed back again.
    Publication of Sir John Chilcot’s inquiry, which began in 2009 and has cost the taxpayer almost £10million, had already been pushed back until after the election. Yesterday it emerged it is unlikely to be published until next year at the earliest.
    Bereaved parents said they were disgusted that their suffering was being dragged out to give leading figures in the inquiry, like Tony Blair, the chance to rebut its findings.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3049642/Surprise-surprise-Iraq-War-report-delayed-Families-disgust-publication-pushed-2016.html
  • Options
    I do not think the Tory campaign particularly useless. Apart from the SNP no one seems to have properly run a campaign.

Con 5/10: rather directionless, and self contradictory, but no major gaffes: "Austerity or Unicorns? We can give you both"

Lab 5/10: A strange combination of earnest gimmickry and agreement with the Tories over key issues (austerity and Trident) that activists and supporters do not believe in.

LD 3/10: Invisible and not making progress

UKIP 4/10: Farage failed to capitalise on debates and "major party" status or to ignite either immigration or Europe as major election issues. Retreated to speaking to usual suspects and shore up the core vote.

Greens 4/10: not really engaged outside the student population.

SNP: 9/10 Sturgeon proving a far more effective leader than Salmond and a battle hardened campaigner; has made devolution issues and constitutional settlement central to the campaign for the first time since the 19th Century Irish Home rule paralysis.

The public are largely bored and unengaged by what is on offer outside Scotland. It is not just Cameron that is uninspired, he matches the mood of the country: resignation to austerity, a recognition that the economy is looking up and a vague sense of disgruntlement about the modern world.

• Options

No trolling or cutting and pasting just a Labour voter noting tha the Tories are stuffed, wrong campaign and damaged leader. Miliband could be prime minister,in fact using a mathematical model it is difficult to see how Cameron can hang on, even if he wanted to do so. He is well and truly stuffed.

Or more likely Labour get substantially less seats than the Tories. They can then go cap in hand to that nice Mrs Sturgeon, and never see a LAB candidate elected in Scotland ever again, and their England vote implode when the voters see lots of sweeties going north that they wont be getting. Hope you enjoy it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Indigo said:

Publication of Sir John Chilcot’s inquiry, which began in 2009 and has cost the taxpayer almost £10million, had already been pushed back until after the election. Yesterday it emerged it is unlikely to be published until next year at the earliest.
    Bereaved parents said they were disgusted that their suffering was being dragged out to give leading figures in the inquiry, like Tony Blair, the chance to rebut its findings.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3049642/Surprise-surprise-Iraq-War-report-delayed-Families-disgust-publication-pushed-2016.html

The LibDems DESPERATELY need a leaked copy to surface in the next few days.....
  • Options
    On topic - really? Worth a thread?

Cameron will leave after the 2017 Referendum is my guess - whatever the outcome.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Or more likely Labour get substantially less seats than the Tories. They can then go cap in hand to that nice Mrs Sturgeon, and never see a LAB candidate elected in Scotland ever again, and their England vote implode when the voters see lots of sweeties going north that they wont be getting. Hope you enjoy it.
    Unfortunately that is a very likely scenario, especially when you take in Miliband's weakness and his idealistic left-wing views compared even to the mainstream of the Labour party. It's a pretty dire prospect for the country both at home and in international relations.
  • Options

I do not think the Tory campaign particularly useless. Apart from the SNP no one seems to have properly run a campaign.

Con 5/10: rather directionless, and self contradictory, but no major gaffes: "Austerity or Unicorns? We can give you both"

Lab 5/10: A strange combination of earnest gimmickry and agreement with the Tories over key issues (austerity and Trident) that activists and supporters do not believe in.

UKIP 4/10: Farage failed to capitalise on debates and "major party" status or to ignite either immigration or Europe as major election issues. Retreated to speaking to usual suspects and shore up the core vote.

SNP: 9/10 Sturgeon proving a far more effective leader than Salmond and a battle hardened campaigner; has made devolution issues and constitutional settlement central to the campaign for the first time since the 19th Century Irish Home rule paralysis.

The public are largely bored and unengaged by what is on offer outside Scotland. It is not just Cameron that is uninspired, he matches the mood of the country: resignation to austerity, a recognition that the economy is looking up and a vague sense of disgruntlement about the modern world.

Do you mean that Useless Ed agrees with Bored Dave about the compatibility of unicorns with austerity?

• Options
    felix said:

Indigo said:

Unfortunately that is a very likely scenario, especially when you take in Miliband's weakness and his idealistic left-wing views compared even to the mainstream of the Labour party. It's a pretty dire prospect for the country both at home and in international relations.
    Still....Labour on 19% by Christmas will be something to look forward to....
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited April 2015
    "Cameron’s great strength is that he’s always been seen as more popular than his party something that had appertained since he became leader nine and half years ago. There is little doubt that he is an electoral asset."
    There's plenty of doubt that Mr Cameron is an asset.

"...given the well-known differential between ‘best prime minister’ questions comparing David Cameron and Ed Miliband. One could be forgiven for assuming that David Cameron is therefore an asset for his party.

However, less than 30% of respondents tend to opt for David Cameron in ‘best prime minister’ questions (lower than average Conservative vote intention), and ratings of Cameron on YouGov’s ‘doing well or badly’ leadership question are consistently net negative (and have been since 2010).

This is borne out in BES questions on leadership as well. On a BES dislike-like scale, where 0 = strongly dislike and 10 = strongly like, David Cameron’s mean score is 4.0, Ed Miliband’s is 3.7, Nick Clegg’s is 3.3 and Nigel Farage’s is 3.1. We should be cautious before concluding that David Cameron has an unequivocal leadership advantage."

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/uncategorized/conservative-assets-and-liabilities/

"There has been no grand vision, no effort to ensure that the electorate learnt to love capitalism, no genuine attempt at kick-starting an ownership society. With less than three months before the election, it is now too late for a change of course. Yet the rot set in in 2005, when Mr Cameron became Tory leader."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11407030/The-Tories-are-paying-the-price-for-their-lack-of-a-grand-vision.html

• Options
    edited April 2015

Indigo said:

It is one thing that could revive the LDs. Being the party that was anti-war and called out the fictions of Blair and Campell will play well. (How does Campbell survive or even sleep at night?; why do not interviewers pull him up for his proven mendacity?).

I think we all already know what Chilcott will say : New Labour dragged us into a war on a lie so Blair could cosy up to Bush.

But I think the country wants to move on. Blair is irrelevant now and the country wants to forget him and all his works.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,995

Indigo said:

The LibDems desperately need some sort of something in the favour in the next few days.

And it won’t come from anything Clegg’s associated with!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Wednesday is usually time for a Comres phone poll of some kind plus a bunch of marginals from Lord A. Eyes peeled.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    So it's back to the future for Tim Montgomerie as his chum IDS takes on the mantle once more ....

Sorry I'll repeat that, I couldn't quite hear your message .... turn up the volume Tim for the "Quiet Man".
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Indigo said:

Al "45 Minutes" Campbell seems to be trying to get himself in the news again recently, what chance someone in the media might ask him some probing questions about the delay to Chilcot's report?
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Moving average chart of the 100 most recent YouGov polls. Click to enlarge...

Simple, Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
  • Options

Do you mean that Useless Ed agrees with Bored Dave about the compatibility of unicorns with austerity?

I think Ed is intelligent enough to know that Labour austerity and Labour unicorns are not compatible. One or the other needs to go. He will ditch Balls as soon as he can.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited April 2015
    Both the main parties have engaged American consultants from the Obama campaign to help with voter targeting and social media. Indyref demonstrated that the SNP had figured it out on their own.

It is entirely possible that on May 8th we will discover that one party or other has won this hidden campaign and will be measuring up the curtains in Downing Street. Or they may have wasted their money.

My own limited view is that the Conservative Party's youtube videos (and US-style attack ads) are better than Labour's, but I'm no expert.

On-topic, I'd be mildly surprised if David Cameron's wanting out changes a single vote. It has been known for some time, and in any case there is no bogeyman among his likely successors with whom Labour can scare the children. The Conservatives came a cropper with "vote Blair: get Brown" when they tried it. Perhaps the blue team might even turn it to their advantage if they can subtly hint to previously identified pro- or anti-EU voters that the likely next leader will be Europhile or Eurosceptic (and similarly for other issues on which wavering supporters have expressed concerns).
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Wednesday is usually time for a Comres phone poll of some kind plus a bunch of marginals from Lord A. Eyes peeled.

If the SNP issue is going to spark a move in the polls it should start to register by the end of the week. The tories have been banging on about it for long enough.

On (rather lame) topic, Tim M doesn't like Dave C - shock horror.

For balance, perhaps the next topic can be Dan Hodges doesn't like Ed M
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,353
    On topic, I've suspected this for some time.
  • Options

chestnut said:

If the SNP issue is going to spark a move in the polls it should start to register by the end of the week. The tories have been banging on about it for long enough.

On (rather lame) topic, Tim M doesn't like Dave C - shock horror.

For balance, perhaps the next topic can be Dan Hodges doesn't like Ed M
    There must be something more personal than political there, because Tim M conspicuously does like Gove, despite them being very different sorts of Tory.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    This thread header marks a new low for this site. Why would anyone take any notice of Tim "I want to be famous" Montgomerie.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    JackW said:

So it's back to the future for Tim Montgomerie as his chum IDS takes on the mantle once more ....

Sorry I'll repeat that, I couldn't quite hear your message .... turn up the volume Tim for the "Quiet Man".

As someone who once wrote for ConHome, Jack, shouldn't you be declaring an interest? LOL
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 902
    Apart from three sessions delivering in Bosworth I have been less involved this election than usual, and am off to Crete for week in the middle of the campaign!

What has been noticeable at work is how rarely there is any mention of the election.

Voter registration has been weird, I registered my wife and I but left off my brother - he used to live with us - but is now in Hungary.

They sent him a few reminders which we ignored - but he clearly is still on the register.

2 weeks to go and my wife has already voted by post.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

I think Ed is intelligent enough to know that Labour austerity and Labour unicorns are not compatible. One or the other needs to go. He will ditch Balls as soon as he can.

where's my owl? John Robertson's survival in Glasgow NW may depend upon it
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    There's potential for a Doctor Who style "don't you think he looks tired" thing from this if he did look tired and if people close to Cameron were to agree with Tim M. Alternatively, Cameron has been caught out a couple of times speaking indiscreetly - perhaps he'd say it himself, unaware he was being overheard?

I know Tim M isn't very popular on here, but how much credibility does he have with political correspondents?
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Apart from three sessions delivering in Bosworth I have been less involved this election than usual, and am off to Crete for week in the middle of the campaign!

What has been noticeable at work is how rarely there is any mention of the election.

Voter registration has been weird, I registered my wife and I but left off my brother - he used to live with us - but is now in Hungary.

They sent him a few reminders which we ignored - but he clearly is still on the register.

2 weeks to go and my wife has already voted by post.

How are things looking in Bosworth? Apart from Loughborough it is the only Leics seat that is close to marginal. Hard to see the LDs taking it though despite the bonkers incumbent.
  • Options
    Sorry but Labour will not get substantially fewer seats than the Tories, despite one or two on here asserting this. The more likely scenario is that Labour will get a handful more seats than the Tories and will form the next government with a little help from undetermined friends.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,016

Sorry but Labour will not get substantially fewer seats than the Tories, despite one or two on here asserting this. The more likely scenario is that Labour will get a handful more seats than the Tories and will form the next government with a little help from undetermined friends.

If the referendum shows one thing, it is that the SNP are very determined.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659

Agreed.

Since I started taking an interest in politics and helped count votes in the 1964 GE when Labour won after a long period of Conservative rule (you've never had it so good " etc )... this is the most detached GE i can recall.

A GE to lose and pick up the pieces when the Government implodes ...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

JackW said:

As someone who once wrote for ConHome, Jack, shouldn't you be declaring an interest? LOL
    Even by the low standards of the gutter press that desperate slur must rate as a new low. :smile:

I did not have intimate relations with that web site !!

• Options
    Tesco lose £6.37bn down the back of their corporate sofa .... Every Little Helps .... Not
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

After Scotland Labour will be about ninety seats behind. It's a lot to make up. The Tories may also make more Lib Dem gains, requiring Labour to make even more gains from the Tories to put their noses in front.

I wonder what the record for number of seats changing hands is? If Labour do have a good night the total seat churn is going to be high.
  • Options
    What would make me confident of the following: -

Tory Majority (or total, say 320+) - phone pollsters (ICM, Lord A, Comres) to start banging out consistent tory leads of 4%-6% - Online polls and the pollsters that have tended to overstate Labour (Survation etc.) to swing to a 1%-3% Con Lead. No polls in the final week showing Labour leads. If the non registered voters favours tories as I suspect it might, this may just about get them home.

Labour Majority - Don't see this a viable scenario from here. Would need a seismic event to occur.

Tory Minority (295-320) - A 1% to 2% swing from polling as it is from LAB to CON, with no LD revival to achieve this.

Labour Minority (265-290) - Pretty much where we are now, but to perform better than UNS in marginals.

Badly Hung Parliament with no viable stable government (CON 250-290, LAB 240-265). Where we are now, with any LD revival or UKIP out performing expectations, possible making this more likely.
  • Options
    I don't have much interest in betting but have been reading this site for years.This thread header really got to me .Talking heads really annoy me on their trawls of the TV /radio studios.

Tim Montgomerie has been carping from the sidelines since the last election because there was no majority.I seem to remember a lot of analysis at that time saying it was a huge jump and practically impossible for Conservatives to gain a majority from their low base .In fact they made record gains.

For all Camerons faults, and yes I would like more Conservative policies ,I would never vote UKIP and risk another socialist government. I lived through the horrors of the seventies, and worked on the frontline in the NHS/social services during the whole of the Blair years and it was dire .Targets,managers,bed blockers ,MRSA,and Labours control freak mentality was not a good mix.Everone was constantly stressed.

I was born in and lived until recently in the socialist borough of Newham which has always been 100 %
    Labour ,and its become less prosperous and poorer over those years. Sad to see it go downhill .It has become more run down and I include Stratford which is an absolute mess since the building of Westfield and the Olympic Park.

So I have first hand experience of Labours policies in action over many years and its not good.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

Be careful what you wish for... In all honesty if it finishes 50/50 I'd rather see a weak and unpopular Tory Government trying to cling to power. It won't be a pretty sight.
  • Options

I think you need to put your money where your mouth is - you'd find plenty of takers on here.

I for one would offer you 11/10 Labour most seats

• Options
    Politics must be the most frustrating career choice. In much of life elsewhere you decide what you want and get after it. CEOs get the freedom to make decisions and act upon them. But politicans are forever hamstrung by their utter lack of real power - however much we may pretend that they have some. Ed simply can't turn the world into his fantasy bankruptopia. Nigel can't simply close the doors. Dave can't blow off his backbenchers. The Greens will not be allowed to return us to the stone age. It's a life of fighting hard to achieve some, but only some, of what you believe in - and even then only for a while. And if you go at it too hard the next lot will unwind your achievements.

I suppose that, like many people, the prospect of having real power to effect the change I believe in is attractive. But politicians delude themselves if they think they'll get real lasting power. And so all political careers end in failure. Which leaves me wondering what sort of personality type is attracted to politics these days. It's not just showbiz for uglies - it's becoming showbiz for weirdos. Maybe Blair was smart to realise that being PM is perhaps only an entry ticket to things more valuable and rewarding.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Tesco lose £6.37bn down the back of their corporate sofa .... Every Little Helps .... Not

Every LIDL helps.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Tesco is a stupendously shite supermarket. I try and avoid it like the plague.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

I don't have much interest in betting but have been reading this site for years.This thread header really got to me .Talking heads really annoy me on their trawls of the TV /radio studios.

Tim Montgomerie has been carping from the sidelines since the last election because there was no majority.I seem to remember a lot of analysis at that time saying it was a huge jump and practically impossible for Conservatives to gain a majority from their low base .In fact they made record gains.

For all Camerons faults, and yes I would like more Conservative policies ,I would never vote UKIP and risk another socialist government. I lived through the horrors of the seventies, and worked on the frontline in the NHS/social services during the whole of the Blair years and it was dire .Targets,managers,bed blockers ,MRSA,and Labours control freak mentality was not a good mix.Everone was constantly stressed.

I was born in and lived until recently in the socialist borough of Newham which has always been 100 %
    Labour ,and its become less prosperous and poorer over those years. Sad to see it go downhill .It has become more run down and I include Stratford which is an absolute mess since the building of Westfield and the Olympic Park.

So I have first hand experience of Labours policies in action over many years and its not good.

Welcome to the site. Looks like you'll fit in well.
  • Options
    +372 hours weather forecast (Valid 1200 UTC, 07th May 2015)

Mild, possibly unsettled.

Verification chance - less than 1%
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    TW1R64 said:

felix said:

More likely Labour, since the Lib Dems will be slashing their workforce very shortly.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    What is really missing in this campaign is any big ideas or even any sharp ideological differences. It is a managerial type campaign with each party claiming they would be able to manage things better than their opponents.

The real gap between the Tories and Labour is pretty much in the margin of error so far as economic policy, borrowing and priorities for spending is concerned. We are not getting a real choice (possibly because there isn't one). This is why neither Labour's back to the 30s nonsense and the Tories debt will run out of control hysteria are not finding traction. Both are unconvincing hyperbole about a change of emphasis.

Whoever wins this election will continue with a policy of austerity light, will continue to borrow too much until the next crash comes along (October according to Hunchman), will remain in and frustrated by the EU, will underspend on our defence, will continue to over regulate business, will run scared of the teaching unions and will continue to shove around the deck chairs on the great ship NHS.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. Sharp ideological shifts from one extreme to another are not good for the country. I remember the nonsense with British Steel being privatised, nationalised and privatised until there was very little left to play with. But it doesn't make politics particularly interesting at the moment. Except in Scotland of course where it is far too interesting for my tastes.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

JackW said:

Every LIDL helps.
    That deserves a thread related seven day exile to ConHome. :smiley:

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Indigo said:

felix said:

TW1R64 said:

felix said:

But this is increasing drowned out by the tedious cutandpastery of various activists desperate to tell us about how wonderful their party is and what the latest line to take is.
    Indigo said:

felix said:

TW1R64 said:

felix said:

It's hilarious the number of new posters popping out of the woodwork with, ahem, valuable insights
  • Options
    JackW said:

This is perhaps wrong, but could this be a reaction to their accounting problems of last year? "Ooops, the new guys have found lots of corrections." ?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, I tend to agree with Mike; I've found it harder to become engaged with this election than any since I first became actively involved in politics, in 1992. That's despite the fact that the outcome is uncertain and close, and that I live in a marginal constituency.

Why? Not for any lack of quality in the candidate (once of this parish, incidentally), nor because I don't think the outcome matters: it does. I think maybe it's been the nature of the campaign. It needs to be more than simply about management and national accountancy. Where are the ideas worth fighting for? There are aspects of this election, and this campaign, which are reminiscent of the 1929 election where Baldwin went into it on the uninspiring slogan of "Safety First" (and lost, to a subsequent minority Labour government).
  • Options

How are things looking in Bosworth? Apart from Loughborough it is the only Leics seat that is close to marginal. Hard to see the LDs taking it though despite the bonkers incumbent.

Bosworth looking very positive - to the extent that I looked up the odds against a Lib Dem win -(14-1). Not just a bonkers Conservative but a Lib Dem council that is effective. Hoping for big UKIP vote that might just let us through.

I have known Hinckley since 1975 when I was buying hosiery for Sainsburys and John Lewis - The Lib Dems are based in an old hosiery factory - very nostalgic!
  • Options

felix said:

Indigo said:

The "good news" for Conservative supporters is that, if Cameron does lose, Labour and Ed Miliband will become hugely unpopular inside a year. I doubt in six months time anyone will admit to ever having voted for him.

What's happened to Labour in Scotland could easily happen to them in the North, and even parts of Wales.

Meanwhile, you'll have a Conservative opposition with a relatively strong parliamentary presence, probably not leeching much more to UKIP (perhaps gaining substantial votes and members back) in opposition to the Labour-led government under a new leader - probably Boris.

The next parliament could run Labour into the ground as a party of national government.
  • Options

JackW said:

Tesco is a stupendously shite supermarket. I try and avoid it like the plague.
    Harpenden and Auchentennach are Tesco supermarket free zones.

Mrs JackW and I are partly responsible for their recent demise as IIRC the last time we ventured across their portal was several years back in the large store in Borehamwood where quite inexplicably there were no staff available to wheel our trolley for us !!!!!

• Options
    Icarus said:

I have known Hinckley since 1975 when I was buying hosiery for Sainsburys and John Lewis - The Lib Dems are based in an old hosiery factory - very nostalgic!
    Icarus old fruit ....

Are you still in ladies underwear ?!?

• Options
    I have my memories!
  • Options
    Icarus said:

I have my memories!

Surely your memory stretches back to last night. :smile:

• Options
    Eve of Poll SUPER ARSE with added APLOMB 2015 General Election & "JackW Dozen" Projection Countdown :

14 days 14 hours 14 minutes 14 seconds
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

With a 10 point lead in the polls in England,they only managed to get 307 seats.

With the vote in England looking much closer than that,rather delusional to think the Tories will get 300 seats.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Morning all. I put my summary of the seat markets as a whole up last night:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/when-april-turns-to-may-what-seat.html

I'm not presently intending to put up any more posts before the election, though I might do so if I find that I have something specific to say about some new development.
  • Options
    I mean .....

Seriously...

• Options
    Vote Cameron,get Boris is the Tory meme from today as if Boris is a magic bullet.

HE`ll probably lose in London if he stood here a third time.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited April 2015

On topic, I tend to agree with Mike; I've found it harder to become engaged with this election than any since I first became actively involved in politics, in 1992. That's despite the fact that the outcome is uncertain and close, and that I live in a marginal constituency.

Why? Not for any lack of quality in the candidate (once of this parish, incidentally), nor because I don't think the outcome matters: it does. I think maybe it's been the nature of the campaign. It needs to be more than simply about management and national accountancy. Where are the ideas worth fighting for? There are aspects of this election, and this campaign, which are reminiscent of the 1929 election where Baldwin went into it on the uninspiring slogan of "Safety First" (and lost, to a subsequent minority Labour government).

How old are you??
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

There is a distinct lack of NEW ideas in this election. Its all back to the future stuff.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

felix said:

Indigo said:

The "good news" for Conservative supporters is that, if Cameron does lose, Labour and Ed Miliband will become hugely unpopular inside a year. I doubt in six months time anyone will admit to ever having voted for him.

What's happened to Labour in Scotland could easily happen to them in the North, and even parts of Wales.

Meanwhile, you'll have a Conservative opposition with a relatively strong parliamentary presence, probably not leeching much more to UKIP (perhaps gaining substantial votes and members back) in opposition to the Labour-led government under a new leader - probably Boris.

The next parliament could run Labour into the ground as a party of national government.
    Ironically, the opposite could also happen. It is called "Expectations Management". Unless the world caves in, Ed will be seen to be doing fine.

One thing we can all vouch for. In every contest, Ed has been underestimated, to his opponents surprise. One of them was his own brother. The other is the Conservative Party and its near rabid supporters.

"Ed is Crap" - we don't see that too often now.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    That's my view - it's the same with States Attorney's changing office in the US - get all the dodgy stuff out of the way before your opponents do. Tesco's were just caught out in a spectacular way.

I'm a fan of Tesco - another unpopular opinion!

JackW said:

This is perhaps wrong, but could this be a reaction to their accounting problems of last year? "Ooops, the new guys have found lots of corrections." ?
  • Options
    "Popping out of the woodwork" am I .I hardly ever post on sites because its mainly hot air and I only post if I've got something to say based on experience .

Socialism did nothing for me ,who was born into abject poverty.I was lucky enough to go to a grammar school in one of the most deprived part of the country ,still is, and got I on through my own hard work.

Socialism levels people down and is therefore oppressive .Oh we'll give you money,a basic home etc but stay down there where you are ,don't aspire to do better unless of course you are one of the well off elites.

Sorry if that doesn't fit with your socialist utopia.I have lived it.
  • Options

felix said:

Indigo said:

I fear that might be wishful thinking. If Labour squeak in, then their main hope is that the Conservatives go in for another of their frequent rounds of infighting.

And it could well happen, There are few candidates amongst the Conservative hopefuls who stand a chance of bridging the gap between the Europhiles and Europhobes; the hardliners and the wets. If the Conservatives move to the right under a new leader, they will gain support from loudmouths but lose it from the public; if they stay where they are then the loudmouths will rebel.

The way the Conservatives argue amongst themselves and lack of party discipline is terrible for the party, but I quite like it: it is better for democracy than the way Labour run themselves most of the time.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Welcome Mr 99, always good to have another view to add to the mix.

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

+372 hours weather forecast (Valid 1200 UTC, 07th May 2015)

Mild, possibly unsettled.

Verification chance - less than 1%

Yep - the weather on the day now becomes a key factor. Too early to say but the lovely weather we're having at the moment will be replaced through the weekend and next week looks decidedly cool and unsettled. The following week - who knows but a return to more normal temperatures looks likely.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

Yes. Nothing revolutionary, just more of the same in the face of a GBP that gets the need to be more sensible and that cuts and tax rises are necessary. It is then about which flavour of cuts & rises and who is doing it in a nicer way.

No "Cry Freedom" moment, with the exception of, we must all appreciate and enjoy, the SNP partying.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

There is a distinct lack of NEW ideas in this election. Its all back to the future stuff.
    Actually it seems you missed the big idea of the Labour campaign.

Ed Miliband has been campaigning on Social Inequality and Fairness from day one of his leadership.Initially dismissed as leftist,it is this idea which has gained currency during the campaign and helped Labour shrug off the rabid Tory attacks.
This discussion has been closed.