Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My favourite GE15 spread bet: That there’ll be a CON margin

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » My favourite GE15 spread bet: That there’ll be a CON margin on seats of fewer than 12

The chart shows the trend on the Sporting Index commons seats spread market over the past few months and as can be seen the Tories have opened a double digit lead which has remained for some weeks. Even yesterday’s poor polls for the Tories did not have much impact.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    First?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited April 2015
    Is this a trading strategy or intended to run until may 8?

Otherwise rip Ritchie benauld. A true cricket legend.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited April 2015
    RE yesterday's 'pollergasm' maybe there should be an automatic time delay on post and Twitter responses of say 24 hours. It would save vast quantities of egg on the faces of so many of the Westminster village idiots. :)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2015
    Morning all.

Spread betting is certainly not a sport for the fainthearted, or those with short pockets :lol: - However, good luck to all those brave enough to try.
  • Options
    I see the Guardian online front pages have no mention of any opinion polls yesterday :)
  • Options
    felix said:

I see the Guardian online front pages have no mention of any opinion polls yesterday :)

Apologies - just spotted it - much toned down though.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Epic article in the Thanet Gazette.
    But Zebediah Enoch Ezekiel Boaleris not so pleased.

The controversial candidate says he stands for “ the separation of Thanet from the Imperialist British and the establishment of an Afro-Thanetian Zaliphate run according to Boa'lia law,” and the eradication of Broadstairs,.

In response to news of Al Murray’s intentions Zebediah said: “I personally think he is making a mockery of South Thanet and democracy. We have no time for spoof parties.”
    http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/Al-Murray-s-Thanet-South-election-fight-slammed/story-25855604-detail/story.html
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,859
    Panelbase's huge swing to Labour was the shocker. Labour leads of 3% with TNS and 4% with Survation are nothing unusual.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Sean_F said:

Panelbase's huge swing to Labour was the shocker. Labour leads of 3% with TNS and 4% with Survation are nothing unusual.

Panelbase do tend to produce some exciting results. Their claim to fame is mostly based on calling the 2011 Holyrood elections right, since then they have been less notable.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Given that the Conservatives start fifty seats ahead of Labour, and that Labour are likely to lose most of their Scottish seats, I fear that you have underestimated your downside risk.
  • Options

Full NI election list.

Conservatives standing in 16 seats including having NI's first Sikh candidate. UKIP standing in 10.

Labour not fielding anyone as they believe sectarian politics is the best option for Paddies.

Progressive.

http://sluggerotoole.com/2015/04/10/one-all-male-constituency-24-candidates-are-female-3-unionist-parties-running-all-male-candidates-ge2015/
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited April 2015
    Mike Smithson in his thread header confidently asserts that:
    " What’s the most you can lose and in this case I can’t envisage the circumstances in which the Tories are more than 30 seats ahead – in which case my loss would be 18 units."

That's interesting because just three days ago JackW's latest ARSE projection had the Tories winning 312 seats with Labour trailing on 246 seats, a hefty 66 seats behind.

Were Jack to be proved correct, and using OGH's own example of £20 per seat (not his actual bet he assures us, without indicating whether it was more or less than this figure), this would result in losses of a whopping great £1080, i.e (66-12) x £20.

One or other of these two gentleman appears likely to be proved very, very wrong. In pugilistic terms, this seems certain to be the contest for the World Heavyweight Championship of the forthcoming General Election.

I enjoy the occasional testosterone-fuelled spread bet, but this one wouldn't be for me.

• Options
    noisywinternoisywinter Posts: 249
    Hmmm tories drifted down a bit back to 1.6 most seats. Could have done with Yougov showing a similar trend

Still I'm sure they will drift out towards evens at some point.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    http://www.panelbase.com/media/polls/W6836w3tablesv2.pdf

Panelbase tables.

Another internet pollster where nearly 40% of their panel claim to have watched most or all of the TV debates.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Ooh cost of living stuff from the Tories (rail fares). Need much more of that sort of thing to shore up support from workers
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Sean_F said:

Panelbase do tend to produce some exciting results. Their claim to fame is mostly based on calling the 2011 Holyrood elections right, since then they have been less notable.
    Panelbase was one of the top pollsters at the IndyRef alongside Ipsos-MORI and Survation.

The firm's GB polling is new and in common with many pollster is untested in a general election.

• Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited April 2015

" What’s the most you can lose and in this case I can’t envisage the circumstances in which the Tories are more than 30 seats ahead – in which case my loss would be 18 units."

That's interesting because just three days ago JackW's latest ARSE projection had the Tories winning 312 seats with Labour trailing on 246 seats, a hefty 66 seats behind.

Were Jack to be proved correct, and using OGH's own example of £20 per seat (not his actual bet he assures us, without indicating whether it was more or less than this figure), this would result in losses of a whopping great £1080, i.e (66-12) x £20.

One or other of these two gentleman appears likely to be proved very, very wrong. In pugilistic terms, this seems certain to be the contest for the World Heavyweight Championship of the forthcoming General Election.

I enjoy the occasional testosterone-fuelled spread bet, but this one wouldn't be for me.

I agree. This is potentially a very high risk bet as the seat difference could become a great deal more volatile than it has been over the past few weeks. The main point is to use a stop loss and not to go into the election night without a significant profit buffer.
  • Options
    noisywinter (Yesterday):
    "I wish the markets hadn't closed and I could cash out my equities

I seriously think there's gonna be a very red ed day on the markets tomorow"

Well, FWIW a few minutes ago, IG Index had the FTSE 100 Index closing up by around 25 points today at 7041. Of course they could be proved wrong!
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    edited April 2015
    Great to see a proper betting thread.

Hope everyones calmer after such an exciting day. More than ever I think we need to wait to next week. I'm in on quite a few markets right now but I'm holding back from further bets til the post easter shakedown. This weeks polls could be totally wrong & I say that from betting pov.

We've also got the manifestos to come Monday & Tuesday tho' not convinced they will move the markets much. The rail fare freeze is a clever policy but wonder if they leaked it after such a bad day?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,859
    chestnut said:

Panelbase tables.

Another internet pollster where nearly 40% of their panel claim to have watched most or all of the TV debates.

Oddly, they rated Cameron above Milliband in the debate, but stll gave a big shift to Labour. Perhaps it's just one of those strange results you get from time to time.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    A five year freeze on rail fares..Winner..
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Tories seem to be making a lot of unfunded pledges,safe in the knowledge they aren't coming back?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Panelbase tables.

Yeah so tear it up.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

noisywinter (Yesterday):

Well, FWIW a few minutes ago, IG Index had the FTSE 100 Index closing up by around 25 points today at 7041. Of course they could be proved wrong!

Yep markets in total denial- its gonna be interesting if Labour win. I will take the opportunity to significantly liquidate and maybe a cheeky short on the Sterling and the FTSE
  • Options

Given that the Conservatives start fifty seats ahead of Labour, and that Labour are likely to lose most of their Scottish seats, I fear that you have underestimated your downside risk.

Yeah big risks in this one. What I don't like about it are the elements of unknown. It's not just how you think Cons will do its Cons, Lab, SNP, LD, UKIP, PLAID all in the mix. Too many variables for my liking. Pinning a tail on a donkey but good luck to Mr Smithson & hope he makes money, providing I don't lose in the process.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    "Conservatives to "freeze" rail fares for five years.

Question for supporters of the Govt's Local Government policies. Why is it for Private Sector providers of Public services a "freeze" is always actually an inflationary increase, and it is not considered reasonable for them to make below inflationary rises on the back of efficiencies and increased passenger numbers (even though doing these things are supposed to be Private Sector strengths on the back of increased capacity to invest), but in local Govt land ,inflation is not believed to exist (even though much of their services are delivered by Private Sector contractors expecting inflationary increases every year...)
  • Options
    PeterC said:

I agree. This is potentially a very high risk bet as the seat difference could become a great deal more volatile than it has been over the past few weeks. The main point is to use a stop loss and not to go into the election night without a significant profit buffer.
    On the volatility it's worth pointing out that potential gains and losses on this spread bet are twice those available from buying or selling Labour seats, because each seat won or lost from the Tories counts double. So if you'd normally stake ten pounds on the seat spreads it would make sense to stake five pounds on this spread.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FTPT

As a point of order @antifrank I don't think that @calum m posted the 125/1 odds on 0-5 SLab seats until after it had been cut and I had posted about getting 40/1 on it.

• Options
    Smukesh Labour have committed the tax on Bankers Bonus,s ten times...at least...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

noisywinter (Yesterday):

Yep markets in total denial- its gonna be interesting if Labour win. I will take the opportunity to significantly liquidate and maybe a cheeky short on the Sterling and the FTSE
    I don't think so, though quite likely to get a bit more volatile as the election day approaches. The market bottomed out in early 2009 and has been on an upward trend since. The uncertainty over the coalition did not make much difference in May 2010.

The market may peak soon (it is at record highs) but that would be the case with any bit of domestic politics. Sell in May...

I would steer clear of stocks like Serco who make their money off privatised services though.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Panelbase was one of the top pollsters at the IndyRef alongside Ipsos-MORI and Survation.

The firm's GB polling is new and in common with many pollster is untested in a general election.

I seem to remember in the Indyref Panelbase were running consistently pro Yes ahead of the other pollsters. They ended up rolling back their position to closer to the other pollsters but wasn;t that after a methodology change ?
  • Options

noisywinter (Yesterday):

I don't think so, though quite likely to get a bit more volatile as the election day approaches. The market bottomed out in early 2009 and has been on an upward trend since. The uncertainty over the coalition did not make much difference in May 2010.

The market may peak soon (it is at record highs) but that would be the case with any bit of domestic politics. Sell in May...

I would steer clear of stocks like Serco who make their money off privatised services though.
    Well I don't think the 'volatility' will be a net spike up in the coming weeks!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited April 2015
    The way the two main parties are offering ever more lavish bribes for our votes is quite thrilling.

When they get to a long week-end at the Cipriani in Venice I might weaken.
  • Options

Quite so ..... but the ultra-cynical rail commuting public will be asking and with considerable justification: "But why only now?"
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited April 2015

noisywinter (Yesterday):

Interesting. FTSE looks to be in a pretty solid uptrend on my chart. Lets see how effectively it can hold the break above 7,000. STG/USD is probing below $1.50, which is a major support area. Lets see how a copes with this: a strong rally and a weekly close above $1.50 could be a better straw in the wind than the polls IMO.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    PFP I don't think they will give a damn..it is still a winner... it will arrive with a Conservative victory as will the Referendum
  • Options

Quite so ..... but the ultra-cynical rail commuting public will be asking and with considerable justification: "But why only now?"
    tut tut PtP you'll be saying it's becasue of the election next.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Question for supporters of the Govt's Local Government policies. Why is it for Private Sector providers of Public services a "freeze" is always actually an inflationary increase, and it is not considered reasonable for them to make below inflationary rises on the back of efficiencies and increased passenger numbers (even though doing these things are supposed to be Private Sector strengths on the back of increased capacity to invest), but in local Govt land ,inflation is not believed to exist (even though much of their services are delivered by Private Sector contractors expecting inflationary increases every year...)

I would have thought the £4bn subsidy of the railways would be high on the list of anyone seriously wanting to make a dent in the deficit.

It would mean lines and services closing though.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    alex. said:

Cui bono.

Local government budgets are easy for central government to cut because someone else takes the blame.

Of course the rail fares policy is not a "freeze" in terms any normal person understands: they've shifted the maximum price increase for the basket of regulated fares from RPI+1 to RPI.

So if they felt like it, the rail companies could still impose stonking increases on selected routes...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,375
    edited April 2015
    Will Gatwick oil = people believe there is after all a money tree = spend spend spend it now = profligacy = Lab govt forever more = UK becomes Venezuela?
  • Options
    PeterC said:

noisywinter (Yesterday):

Interesting. FTSE looks to be in a pretty solid uptrend on my chart. Lets see how effectively it can hold the break above 7,000. STG/USD is probing below $1.50, which is a major support area. Lets see how a copes with this: a strong rally and a weekly close above $1.50 could be a better straw in the wind than the polls IMO.

I bow to your superior charting expertise! I'm not a trader. But my layman view would be if any macro event could poke through an uptrend it would be Red Ed with his red hot pitchfork!
  • Options

tut tut PtP you'll be saying it's becasue of the election next.
    That's £1 you owe the PB.com Social Fund for confusing me with another poster.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Roger said:

The way the two main parties are offering ever more lavish bribes for our votes is quite thrilling.

When they get to a long week-end at the Cipriani in Venice I might weaken.

If they offer that to everyone wouldn't it lower the tone somewhat?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Does anyone have an idea of the Lib Dems tactics during this campaign? Their attitude towards the Tories seems quite schizophrenic. One minute they're smothering with love bites the next they're attacking them with machettes.

It's tricky for them but this seems the worst of all worlds
  • Options
    Charles said:

alex. said:

Cui bono.

Local government budgets are easy for central government to cut because someone else takes the blame.

Of course the rail fares policy is not a "freeze" in terms any normal person understands: they've shifted the maximum price increase for the basket of regulated fares from RPI+1 to RPI.

So if they felt like it, the rail companies could still impose stonking increases on selected routes...
    Well quite:

a) it's not a freeze across the board
    b) it's not a "freeze", it is an inflationary increase
    c) it's not an "inflationary increase" in line with the main Govt measure of inflation (CPI).

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Moving average chart of the 100 most recent YouGov polls. Click to enlarge...

Simple, Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
  • Options
    edited April 2015

PeterC said:

noisywinter (Yesterday):

I bow to your superior charting expertise! I'm not a trader. But my layman view would be if any macro event could poke through an uptrend it would be Red Ed with his red hot pitchfork!
    I suspect the markets will be far more concerned about a heavily hung Parliament than a clear Labour winner. Markets can probably influence a majority govt (even one predisposed against their interests) in a way they can't influence a govt dependent on minority votes.
  • Options
    Cipriani,s has slipped a bit so I am informed..much more fun to get plastered in Harry,s Bar
  • Options
    Stephen Fisher's updated weekly GE seats projection due out in the next hour or so. Labour assured of closing the gap, if not actually taking the lead on the back of some recent poor polling numbers for the Blue Team.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,055
    chestnut said:

alex. said:

I would have thought the £4bn subsidy of the railways would be high on the list of anyone seriously wanting to make a dent in the deficit.

Network Rail's debt (now in the public sector) is expected to reach £50 billion by 2019. Part of this is accounted for by the upgrades necessary to cope with growing passenger numbers, for instance the various electrification schemes (all hail the coalition government for that). But it is still a massive and unhealthy level of debt.

If anything, we need rail prices to be put up, so the passenger and freight companies pay more track access charges to NR. The current system is great for passengers, but terrible for the nation's finances. Passengers get the advantage of NR's debt, but don't pay for most of it.

I do not expect this post to be popular. ;-)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Charles

"If they offer that to everyone wouldn't it lower the tone somewhat?"

Good point but I thought campaigning was so sophisticted they could tailor their message to indiviual voters.

Easterross for example could be offered midge repellent
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Will Gatwick oil = people believe there is after all a money tree = spend spend spend it now = profligacy = Lab govt forever more = UK becomes Venezuela?

Didn't work that way in the 80s. Tory government for tax cuts.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,946

Stephen Fisher's updated weekly GE seats projection due out in the next hour or so. Labour assured of closing the gap, if not actually taking the lead on the back of some recent poor polling numbers for the Blue Team.

Take the 6-4 Ed PM if it's still up with hills
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,102
    A pretty pathetic comment from David 'the man who complained about Labour plans to cut the maximum pension pot but went quite when the Conservatives did it' Herdson last night:

" FWIW, I think Labour's going to win. The country doesn't have an adequate appreciation of how much shit we're all in and are going to vote for sparkly trinkets and the nice fuzzy feeling of having other people pay for the state to take care of all the responsibilities in their lives. It's mindless, ignorant, selfish and childish but that doesn't mean it's not going to happen. "

Why should the country have an adequate appreciation of how much shit we're all in when Cameron lied about "paying down Britain's debts". Or when Osborne claims Britain is doing so well in his Budget speech - which incidentally included a lie about the previous month's trade deficit being the lowest for fifteen years ?

Why shouldn't the country vote for the sparkly trinkets it wants when this government always finds money for the sparkly trinkets it wants eg HS2 ?

Why shouldn't the country vote for the nice fuzzy feeling when this government always finds money to give it the nice fuzzy feels it wants eg increased Overseas Aid ?

Why should the country think there's a shortage of money when everyday there's a promise from this government of future spending increases or future subsidies or future tax cuts eg paid voluntary leave and a rail fares freeze promised this morning ?

Instead Conservatives prefer to blame the people for being 'mindless, ignorant, selfish and childish'.

If you want 'mindless, ignorant, selfish and childish' you'll find plenty of it in Downing Street.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Charles

Good point but I thought campaigning was so sophisticted they could tailor their message to indiviual voters.

I am still waiting for my owl. I am going to hold Ed to his promise...
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Morning all and on reading the thread header, I suspect OGH is kidding himself on. Ashcroft' 10 marginal this week showed a swing of 1.95% from Con to Labour. On that basis Labour will struggle to win more than 20 Tory seats and are set to lose 30 to the SNP.

I would reckon Jack's ARSE is a more reliable predictor than OGH.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

TOPPING said:

But it turned Scotland from a Tory/Liberal land of sanity into a SLab/SNP madhouse.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    edited April 2015

Morning all and on reading the thread header, I suspect OGH is kidding himself on. Ashcroft' 10 marginal this week showed a swing of 1.95% from Con to Labour. On that basis Labour will struggle to win more than 20 Tory seats and are set to lose 30 to the SNP.

Those seats weren't presented as representative of the marginals as a whole, but rather as 10 outliers that weren't in line with the broader trend.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @politicshome: Ed Miliband rules out a second Scottish independence referendum http://t.co/6JsxI4byrG http://t.co/VLLAme0WWQ
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    SMukesh said:

Tories seem to be making a lot of unfunded pledges,safe in the knowledge they aren't coming back?

The rail pledge looks more like a con than uncosted. Fares will still rise, but not faster than inflation. That's not what most people would call a freeze.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,995
    edited April 2015
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: just scanned some reports on P1. Apparently the five-tenths between Rosberg [Hamilton the same margin ahead] and the Ferraris is indicative of Mercedes returning to dominance.

That may be true. But the Mercedes had a four-tenths margin ahead of the Ferraris in every session of Malaysian qualifying:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/2015/malaysian-grand-prix/results/practice

Edited extra bit: P2 still got 25 minutes or so to go.
  • Options
    Stephen Fisher will be interesting this morning. Populabourus will of course no doubt have its twice weekly Labour lead this morning.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Nationalisation makes more sense....

A "real" vote winner if Ed is brave enough!
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

F1: just scanned some reports on P1. Apparently the five-tenths between Rosberg [Hamilton the same margin ahead] and the Ferraris is indicative of Mercedes returning to dominance.

That may be true. But the Mercedes had a four-tenths margin ahead of the Ferraris in every session of Malaysian qualifying:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/2015/malaysian-grand-prix/results/practice

Edited extra bit: P2 still got 25 minutes or so to go.

It looks as though the McLarens are doing a little better as well. And let's hope Manor can qualify - I like the plucky underdog.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

chestnut said:

alex. said:

Network Rail's debt (now in the public sector) is expected to reach £50 billion by 2019. Part of this is accounted for by the upgrades necessary to cope with growing passenger numbers, for instance the various electrification schemes (all hail the coalition government for that). But it is still a massive and unhealthy level of debt.

If anything, we need rail prices to be put up, so the passenger and freight companies pay more track access charges to NR. The current system is great for passengers, but terrible for the nation's finances. Passengers get the advantage of NR's debt, but don't pay for most of it.

I wonder if those academics who showed what an immense cost immigration had been to this country included such infrastructure costs. Solve immigration, solve the deficit.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    @Peterfromputney

Buying any sort of Labour seats or seat spread is not the best Labour bet imo whilst the 6-4 with Hills for PM Ed remains up (PM on August 1st)

http://ponyonthetories.blogspot.co.uk/ for the reasoning
  • Options

The Ashcroft polls did show some seat to seat variation, and getting a good sample in single constituencies is a bit of an issue.

Nonetheless the Tories were doing well in the North West and Midlands. A swing TO the Tories in Loughborough for example, and whoever takes Loughborough has formed the government for several decades.

I do not like the spread betting markets. It is easy to get the downside wrong.

I now have about £500 at risk on May 7th. I will probably put a few further stakes on towards the day itself but am getting close to my limits.

• Options
    Roger said:

Charles

Point of order: if Easterross lives in the place I think he does, then midges are not that much of a problem. It's far worse on the west coast.

Highlanders are the easiest-going people on the planet. If I had to live with the long, dark winters, only to be plagued with midges during the summer, then I'd become a homicidal maniac.
  • Options
    For the Tories its still backing in individual seats.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

chestnut said:

alex. said:

I wonder if those academics who showed what an immense cost immigration had been to this country included such infrastructure costs. Solve immigration, solve the deficit.
    A bogus and stupid argument. The growth in passenger numbers has far exceeded population growth.
  • Options
    pinball13pinball13 Posts: 78
    edited April 2015

chestnut said:

alex. said:

If NR deserve more cash why should it come from pax and not TOCs?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, glanced at Twitter. Ferrari may be better on the medium tyres [it's only a maybe, though]. I'd still expect Mercedes to get the front row.

McLaren, if they can get their issues sorted, will make a number of great leaps forward. It'll be interesting to see [if we do] what the car's ultimate pace is.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: Ed Miliband rules out a second Scottish independence referendum http://t.co/6JsxI4byrG http://t.co/VLLAme0WWQ

These losers really know their stuff. What chance is there of SNP being under 50% with total useless erses like this pontificating on what we can and cannot do.
  • Options
    No more Nationalisation please...I still remember the last batch..
  • Options
    Josias, you are quite correct. On the Moray Firth we have our own variety of Nationalist peasant biting midgies. They don't bite poor aristos, gentry and farming folk as our diets aren't rich enough and we have been around for 30 generations so we are not very tasty! :)
  • Options

chestnut said:

alex. said:

One of the big issues I have with the coalition copying Blairism. The Railways are now neither fish nor fowl, like Universities and some other stuff. If Railways, Schools, Hospitals are going to be either nationalised or privatised we should go the whole shebang. Privatising the profits and nationalising the debt is the worst of both worlds.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    That was quite a fun topsy turvey day yesterday.

Very positive for Labour in nearly all respects. Let's see if it is maintained. The next seven days will be more indicative.

And RIP Richie Benaud. A true legend.
  • Options

But it isn't just JackW who is projecting a comfortable Tory win - last Friday Stephen Fisher had the Blue Team winning by 300 seats to Labour's 258, a net loss of 30 points or £600 in OGH's example ..... Ouch!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,102
    Charles said:

alex. said:

Cui bono.

That will be the RPI which the government says shouldn't be used when comparing inflation to pay rises.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

These losers really know their stuff. What chance is there of SNP being under 50% with total useless erses like this pontificating on what we can and cannot do.
    Judging by the polls alot of No voters must have smelt the coffee by now too.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    It's very hard not to feel cynical about any government when they happily use RPI for money you have to pay them, but then claim it's inappropriate for money they pay out and the lower CPI should be used instead.

As for the rail fares policy, hopefully this will treated with appropriate disdain given the Tories privatised the railways and at the start of this parliament removed the fares flex and rose fares by RPI+3
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I've just caught up with the last thread - not the disaster for the Tories some were predicting. The change of the Guardian's frontpage is most amusing. Premature ejaculation if ever there was one.
    Gadfly said:

Moving average chart of the 100 most recent YouGov polls. Click to enlarge...

Simple, Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire

• Options

But it isn't just JackW who is projecting a comfortable Tory win - last Friday Stephen Fisher had the Blue Team winning by 300 seats to Labour's 258, a net loss of 30 points or £600 in OGH's example ..... Ouch!
    PM Ed is still value at 6-4 on that projection from Stephen Fisher. This is why it's such a ridiculous bet right now.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    we

Yeah East Coast rail was such a disaster.

Oh no, wait, it was flippin brilliant and made massive profits for the tax payer. My mistake.
  • Options
    Doddy

"A five year freeze on rail fares..Winner.."

I think I'd hold out for better than that
  • Options
    So that's both Cameron and Miliband coming out against the universal right for self determination. Interesting.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Very positive for Labour in nearly all respects. Let's see if it is maintained. The next seven days will be more indicative.

I remember the old joke about why Richie Benaud never opened his mouth when commentating - the same reason why Aussies wear those crazy hats with corks hanging down on strings ..... it's to stop the flies getting in.

God bless him.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Doddy

"A five year freeze on rail fares..Winner.."

I think I'd hold out for better than that

@Roger With regard to your Scottish bets I reckon Edinburgh South may well be one of the last bastions that Labour narrowly holds. Not so sure on Aberdeen South.
  • Options
    Easterross

"Populabourus will of course no doubt have its twice weekly Labour lead this morning."

Have you always been paranoid? Maybe it's a Scottish thing....
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited April 2015
    Alistair said:

we

Yeah East Coast rail was such a disaster.

Oh no, wait, it was flippin brilliant and made massive profits for the tax payer. My mistake.
    British rail was an effing disaster, it made huge losses with out of date rolling stock, it was never much better than cattle trucks.. it never had the money to invest in the infrastructure nor adequately for decent rolling stock..
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Alistair said:

So that's both Cameron and Miliband coming out against the universal right for self determination. Interesting.

If neither Labour nor the Conservatives want another go - well it's up to them. But they in return will get no favours from SNP MPs.

Labour couldn't have played a better game than it has so far to lose Scotland tbh.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One of the big issues I have with the coalition copying Blairism. The Railways are now neither fish nor fowl, like Universities and some other stuff. If Railways, Schools, Hospitals are going to be either nationalised or privatised we should go the whole shebang. Privatising the profits and nationalising the debt is the worst of both worlds.

A nationalised rail service would be a disaster for whoever the transport minister was.

It would be as troublesome and irritating as the unionised London Tube is to the Mayor.

I suspect that devolution and FFA would focus a few minds on the cost of it all when you see the comparative per mile subsidies.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Roger said:

Does anyone have an idea of the Lib Dems tactics during this campaign? Their attitude towards the Tories seems quite schizophrenic. One minute they're smothering with love bites the next they're attacking them with machettes.

It's tricky for them but this seems the worst of all worlds

They're in a tricky position. Not only are they simultaneously pro and anti the Tories. If they promise to do something, it's reasonable to assume they will do the opposite if they get into government. The stronger their promise, the more likely the u turn.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Alistair said:

Still not recognising Crimea's long sought reunification with Russia, let alone pressuring Kiev to implement Minsk II by devolving power and restarting basic state services?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

But it turned Scotland from a Tory/Liberal land of sanity into a SLab/SNP madhouse.
    Plan for losing Sussex, then.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited April 2015

BenM said:

I remember the old joke about why Richie Benaud never opened his mouth when commentating - the same reason why Aussies wear those crazy hats with corks hanging down on strings ..... it's to stop the flies getting in.

God bless him.
    If only the UK public had someone with a tenth of Benaud's acumen and wisdom to vote for in the GE.
    A heartfelt salute to the incomparable Benaud.
  • Options
    P2 over.

Pre-qualifying piece should be up sometime today.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    Alistair said:

The UK is a country and one that the Scots have just voted to remain a part of in a referendum that those advocating separation consistently declared was a once in a lifetime/generation opportunity. Why should I, a citizen of this country, have to see its existence put at risk every few years unless it is the will of the people of the UK that this be the case? As we know, the SNP signed up to the Smith Commission which confirmed that issues pertaining to the UK constitution were a reserved matter.

• Options
    Pulpstar

@Roger With regard to your Scottish bets I reckon Edinburgh South may well be one of the last bastions that Labour narrowly holds. Not so sure on Aberdeen South.

I hope you're right. Edinburgh South is the one I'm really concerned about. It's ironic that one of the closest results last time should now be among the safer ones. Having said that it's by no means a shoo in. What position would you put it in in terms of likely SLAB wins?

This discussion has been closed.