Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final polls of the day make it rather a mixed picture f

124»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    What are the Tories pissing around at? The big announcement for tomorrow,

Fifteen million workers would be offered three extra days of paid leave to do volunteering under a Conservative government, David Cameron has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32243680

Is that it...I mean really....
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    ED Miliband and Ed Balls arrive in Scotland today to capitalise on Labour's growing "poll momentum" by intensifying their economic attack on the SNP and underlining a post-election deal of any kind with Nicola Sturgeon's Nationalists has now been ruled out.

Believe it or not this is the opening gambit today from the Herald's gruesome twosome Kate Devlin and Mike Seattle. Neither show the slightest interest in or knowledge of Scottish politics. God knows why both of them are still employed by a skinflint paper which has sacked just about everyone else. The delicious irony , of course, is that within minutes of their regugitation of their Labour press briefing the NATS are shown to have a record lead in Scotland!

Some poll, some momentum. What a couple of clowns!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    AndyJS said:

That's a pity. Why did you lose interest?

No longer really into Cricket (though I was 20 years ago!), but RIP Richie Benaud.

I hadn't heard about Richie Benaud. I long ago lost count of how much time I spent in my youth listening to him.

That is a big loss for cricket fans, of which I used to be a big one.

I remember lying on the bed at home in Tenerife, listening to the crackly and fading short wave reception on first a Zenith Transoceanic and then a Grundig Satellit during my school vacations with my dad.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,040
    scotslass said:

ED Miliband and Ed Balls arrive in Scotland today to capitalise on Labour's growing "poll momentum" by intensifying their economic attack on the SNP and underlining a post-election deal of any kind with Nicola Sturgeon's Nationalists has now been ruled out.

Believe it or not this is the opening gambit today from the Herald's gruesome twosome Kate Devlin and Mike Seattle. Neither show the slightest interest in or knowledge of Scottish politics. God knows why both of them are still employed by a skinflint paper which has sacked just about everyone else. The delicious irony , of course, is that within minutes of their regugitation of their Labour press briefing the NATS are shown to have a record lead in Scotland!

They aren't ruling out any deal lol, they are ruling out confidence and supply. To be honest I'd have thought the SNP would be perfectly happy just doing business on a deal by deal basis.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Was up in Farron country at the weekend - quite a few Tory posters in the countryside on farming estates but overwhelming golden diamonds everywhere.....and 1 Labour poster. Like other PB'ers, outside of Westmorland & Lonsdale, it was noticeable the lack of posters elsewhere. You really wouldn't think there was an election 4 weeks today in parts of the country.

Posters in windows are just not fashionable any more. There was a noticeable drop between the '97 and '01 elections for some reason and it's never recovered. Round here I've seen only one other house with a poster, even my local candidate hasn't bothered putting any up!
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited April 2015
    Pulpstar said:

scotslass said:

They aren't ruling out any deal lol, they are ruling out confidence and supply. To be honest I'd have thought the SNP would be perfectly happy just doing business on a deal by deal basis.
    I don't think it's a coincidence that they've ruled out confidence and supply the same day the SNP have said that they wouldn't offer it if trident was renewed.

A coalition has been ruled out and now confidence and supply, I think by the election Labour want to take the nuclear option and rule out any sort of deal whatsoever with the SNP after the election. They don't want it to look like it's their choice however.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Artist said:

Pulpstar said:

scotslass said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that they've ruled out confidence and supply the same day the SNP have said that they wouldn't offer it if trident was renewed.

A coalition has been ruled out and now confidence and supply, I think by the election Labour want to take the nuclear option and rule out any sort of deal whatsoever with the SNP after the election, but they don't want it to look like it's their choice.
    We need a Gov't though, when push comes to shove if the numbers remain as they are, Dave will resign and Ed will have his Queen's speech pushed through by SNP/PC votes.
  • Options
    The most impotent Prime Minister in decades !
  • Options
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair Indeed, which is why sadly you have to fork out for Sky for the full experience, with perhaps Test Match Special commentary in the background, night

Thing is, there;s other options. I watch Cycling now, it's got a better climax than Cricket does. And, w're actually successful too!
    Roubaix Sunday.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,252
    Dair Though we had a few Ashes wins over the last decade
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Artist said:

Pulpstar said:

scotslass said:

A coalition has been ruled out and now confidence and supply, I think by the election Labour want to take the nuclear option and rule out any sort of deal whatsoever with the SNP after the election, but they don't want it to look like it's their choice.
    We need a Gov't though, when push comes to shove if the numbers remain as they are, Dave will resign and Ed will have his Queen's speech pushed through by SNP/PC votes.
    I'm a long term believer that we're heading for a Labour minority government propped up by the SNP but both parties potentially ruling out confidence and supply seems significant to me, vote by vote just wouldn't work with the current numbers.

What do Labour have to lose by ruling out doing a deal with the SNP? They look like they're going to lose nearly all of their seats anyway and they're not interested in a "260 + 50" progressive alliance. The only way they could even potentially turn things round is to change the game, a vote for the SNP no longer being a vote to remove the Conservatives changes things completely.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,875
    scotslass said:

he has achieved the virtually impossible in Scotland - coming behind a Tory!.

Ed does that in nearly every poll!

You were asking about "being out of touch"?
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Not according to the Daily Mail :naughty:
    Pulpstar said:

The most impotent Prime Minister in decades !

• Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Artist said:

What do Labour have to lose by ruling out doing a deal with the SNP? They look like they're going to lose nearly all of their seats anyway and they're not interested in a "260 + 50" progressive alliance. The only way they could even potentially turn things round is to change the game, a vote for the SNP no longer being a vote to remove the Conservatives changes things completely.

Why would Labour want to rule out a deal, they're less than 4 weeks away from being in office. Scotland is gone, that's fixed. It's not coming back.

What do you suggest they tell the people of Scotland, that if Labour + SDLP + PC +SNP have >323 they'll refuse to govern ? Would they threaten to abstain on a tory queens speech ?

It's a ludicrous suggestion. The people of Scotland would laugh in their faces.

• Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    carlotta

Just referring to your and others interpretations of the Scottish debates and comparing it with the view of the people. Murphy is poison to normal people.

Artist

You really don't get it do you. There are no game changers. Labour are cooked in Scotland and deservedly so.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    @Carnyx No, not the Libdems. Please stop trying to mitigate the appalling behaviour of individuals now with previous separate events. And no, the rest of the MSM is not like Wings. A site totally funded by those who believe in one political aim, and with threads that hardly represent the cross party debate we enjoy here on PB.com.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Artist said:

Why would Labour want to rule out a deal, they're less than 4 weeks away from being in office. Scotland is gone, that's fixed. It's not coming back.

What do you suggest they tell the people of Scotland, that if Labour + SDLP + PC +SNP have >323 they'll refuse to govern ? Would they threaten to abstain on a tory queens speech ?

Getting an anti-Tory alliance in the Queens Speech will probably be possible, ruling the country for five years with the SNP only offering their support on a vote by vote basis with a flimsy combined majority is another matter. There's no guarantee Labour would be up for it and I don't think people would blame them if they were only on 260/265 seats.

A no post election deal message would mean Labour would need to win enough seats to govern without reliance on the SNP, if they don't get it then let the Conservatives run a minority government until a second election.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Artist said:

Artist said:

Getting an anti-Tory alliance in the Queens Speech will probably be possible, ruling the country for five years with the SNP only offering their support on a vote by vote basis with a flimsy combined majority is another matter. There's no guarantee Labour would be up for it and I don't think people would blame them if they were only on 260/265 seats.

A no post election deal message would mean Labour would need to win enough seats to govern without reliance on the SNP, if they don't get it then let the Conservatives run a minority government until a second election.
This discussion has been closed.