Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour’s hoping that taking on the non doms could be a narr

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    BBC news top story

Ed Ballsup
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    dr_spyn said:

All gone pear shaped.

http://order-order.com/2015/04/08/bbc-on-labour-non-dom-gaffe-its-all-gone-pear-shaped/#_@/b-TYV7E9nUDVTA

Does the two EdEd monster not talk with each other?

The journalists need to throw this in Ed's face. They won't which is why most will never realise there is a split and yet again the two Ed's face in different directions at once.

A sad indictment of political debate in this country.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited April 2015
    BBC Radio News leading on Ed Balls comments, with a report on Labours Non Dom 'Confusion'. Whoops.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I can't recall Norman ever being so harsh on Labour. Clearly something is up between them now. Norman seemed rather energised.
    Scott_P said:

@GuidoFawkes: Watch @BBCNormanS savage @edballsmp: http://t.co/4PLOV8o4jc Is there bad blood here?

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,057

Do any Labour-leaning posters have any comments to make over the success of the government's troubled families scheme?

Or are they more interested in hatred of the rich (excepting 'their' rich) than helping the less fortunate?

I think it's been a qualified success - for that the Government has to be given credit.

I'm not in the business of saying everything the Tories do is bad and everything that Labour does is good - the most calamitous decision made by a PM since the war was made by a Labour PM (Tony Blair).

I also appreciate David Cameron's performance at CHOGM in Colombo last year - he played an absolute blinder...

However, I firmly believe in progressive politics and hence the Labour party despite it's many shortfalls will get my vote.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

I don't understand this non-dom stuff. What tax advantage would accrue from claiming non-dom status as a citizen of Ireland, for example?

It means all their earnings in Ireland is still taxed in Ireland, not the UK.
    Are tax rates that much lower in Ireland that it is worth the trouble?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Non-dom balls-up leading BBC News.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,156

Interesting poll tonight.....so I hear!

What are the rumours ?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,833
    A new tax policy that unravels in under 12 hours. That is impressive from Team Eds

And if the BBC are prepared to lead on the gaffe (which they clearly are doing) then it is a bad day for wee Eddy
  • Options
    @steve_hawkes: If you scrap Non-Dom status it ends up costing Britain money- Ed Balls in January http://t.co/Rg4Bqd7SHE
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Just been polled (online) by Opinium
  • Options
    Labour's Non-Domnishambles.
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: And labour whoops on non-doms, Balls on record in Jan warning of consequence of abolishing the status altogether.. Tricky qs for them
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

dr_spyn said:

All gone pear shaped.

http://order-order.com/2015/04/08/bbc-on-labour-non-dom-gaffe-its-all-gone-pear-shaped/#_@/b-TYV7E9nUDVTA

Does the two EdEd monster not talk with each other?

The journalists need to throw this in Ed's face. They won't which is why most will never realise there is a split and yet again the two Ed's face in different directions at once.

A sad indictment of political debate in this country.

'Question to the Great Leader will not be permitted'.

Journalists be booed and hissed by the assembled Labour throng.
  • Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    What a surprise that Labour are in trouble over this issue.

Balls is just playing general election games. This will never happen. HMRC currently receive up to 90k from wealthy individuals for minimal effort. They are going to be saddled with the onerous task of calculating the worldwide earnings of secretive people. And that assumes they don’t just move offshore and visit here very occasionally.
    Labour never abolished this status when in power for very good reasons and Balls was one of its strongest defenders.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,800
    Makes you wonder if Miliband told Balls about this, because one thing Balls isn't, is stupid. And he will have known he said this only 3 months ago.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,595

A new tax policy that unravels in under 12 hours. That is impressive from Team Eds

Typical Miliband, it is all about the message, the outcomes matter not a jot, and even Balls recognises that such a policy has some serious problems.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,667
    murali_s said:

Do any Labour-leaning posters have any comments to make over the success of the government's troubled families scheme?

Or are they more interested in hatred of the rich (excepting 'their' rich) than helping the less fortunate?

I think it's been a qualified success - for that the Government has to be given credit.

I'm not in the business of saying everything the Tories do is bad and everything that Labour does is good - the most calamitous decision made by a PM since the war was made by a Labour PM (Tony Blair).

I also appreciate David Cameron's performance at CHOGM in Colombo last year - he played an absolute blinder...

However, I firmly believe in progressive politics and hence the Labour party despite it's many shortfalls will get my vote.
    That was a nice reply to what was perhaps a not-very-nice question. ;-)
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Are we talking about this quote?

"I think it is important that you make sure the non-dom rules work in a fair way. I think they were too lax in the past. Both the last Labour government and this Conservative government tightened them up. That’s something I’ll continue to look at. I think if you abolish the whole status then probably it ends up costing Britain money because there will be some people who then leave the country."
    Ed Balls, shadow chancellor
  • Options
    glw said:

Typical Miliband, it is all about the message, the outcomes matter not a jot, and even Balls recognises that such a policy has some serious problems.
    But when the BBC are quick to point out the obvious gaffe, you know that Miliband has got it wrong.

He might like the message - but the coverage is now all about the split at the top of Labour. Not what he wanted leading the lunchtime news bulletins
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

MikeK said:

I've just unveiled #UKIP's new poster in #Grimsby. Our fisheries have been gutted by the EU. #UKIP will change this. pic.twitter.com/seq6yIf1IN

— Nigel Farage (@Nigel_Farage) April 8, 2015

See also UKIP & EFD pamphlet called "Stolen Seas". No link, google it.
    The UK Fishermen who sold their quotas to the Spanish gutted the industry.

Never fails to amaze me that they're willing to blame others for this, whilst more than happy to take the boat loads of cash on offer.

A classic case in governmental overreach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_v_Secretary_of_State_for_Transport,_ex_p_Factortame_Ltd
  • Options
    edited April 2015

glw said:

But when the BBC are quick to point out the obvious gaffe, you know that Miliband has got it wrong.

He might like the message - but the coverage is now all about the split at the top of Labour. Not what he wanted leading the lunchtime news bulletins
    Millibands ploughing on regardless with his speech in the Midlands. 'Bankers, Hedge Funds, Energy, Tax'. All his favourite soundbites, and sniggering at his own jokes. (Radio 5 Live if anyone can be bothered).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,129
    Mr. Pit, d'you live around there, or get a flight out?

Never been to an F1 race in person. I suspect I'd loathe it, up close. [I really dislike loud noise].

Mr. Horse, I read somewhere the change happened because Ford was pretty ill and couldn't do the fight scene. Regardless of whether it was by choice or not, it's a really nice comedy moment (the original trilogy of Indy films are fantastic. If I were writing the fifth, the first thing I'd do would be to have Shia LaBoeuf killed off).
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Morning Mr. Jessup,

There is an OCED report which suggests that families helped through the scheme fair no better than those that aren't. Therefore, one can conclude that the scheme is a waste of time and resources, worse it actively encourages some families to change their lifestyle.
  • Options
    How is UK an off-shore tax haven?
  • Options
    TO be fair to the thread header. The non Dom thing has certainly been a narrative changer. Not quite in the way Labour expected though..... Or by 1030am !

Indeed a bunch of amateurs and muppets still fighting a class war. Scary to think they will shortly be in No 10 doing the same thing and much much more.
  • Options
    Milliband can barely think on the fly (the speech right now proves that), I doubt he's that ingenious.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,122
    Financier said:

Just been polled (online) by Opinium

We've had enough online polls. We need some phone polls from ICM and Mori and we need them now!

• Options
    @faisalislam: "Some people will say if we change the rules people will leave the country" ... Says miliband... Of Balls.
  • Options

glw said:

You need the evening news for traction. I suspect as always that with anything Labour do wrong it will be item No 3 and then gone by tomorrow. Any other party would get hit for a week on it.
  • Options
    @GeorgeWParker: Ed M: "some people" will claim that non doms will leave the country. Does he mean Ed B?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,954

Tax expert on Sky News, George Bull, it will "affect only 5,000 people"!
    "We think it will affect very few."

Stunned. 5,000 is a WTF. Add to the circa 30,000 upset by being on a zero hour contract.

Labour have become the party of the "less than 0.1%".

I think you are perhaps forgetting the following reactions from those not yet affected:

1. It's still wrong (ZTH when it's unreasonable) ...

2. ... ad what happens if I lose my job and get sanctioned if I don't accept one of those jobs?

• Options
    Well done to the CCHQ minions who deployed that video of Ed Balls.

Definitely need a pay rise after that.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

The first Indiana Jones film (1981) came out before 'Dundee' (1986).

Also, I believe the original Indy script called for a long fist-fight with the sword-wielding guy; shooting him was an ab-lib Ford thought up on the day to save time.

Ford had Delhi belly, so to save time for him to rush back to the loo.
  • Options
    Rofl

CCHQ Press Office @CCHQPress
    .@Ed_Miliband – some people say your policy will make ppl leave the country – yep some people like @edballsmp
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    A howitzer downs the desperate Tory non dom attack:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2015/apr/08/election-2015-live-blog-labour-ed-miliband-non-dom-tax-loophole#block-55250014e4b08caf50c1ee39
    As the Tories said, Balls said this:

I think that it is important that you make sure the non-dom rules work in a fair way. I think they were too lax in the past. Both the last Labour government and this Conservative government have tightened them up. That is something I will continue to look at. I think if you abolish the whole status then probably it ends up costing Britain money because there will be some people who will then leave the country.

But Balls also added at the end:

But I think we can be tougher and we should be and we will.
  • Options
    It is just bizarre watching it unroll. It is a piece of 1984 speak. Labour re-writing what they believe within a few weeks of saying it. If the media cannot nail Labour over this, then we probably know that Labour are untouchable.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Makes you wonder if Miliband told Balls about this, because one thing Balls isn't, is stupid. And he will have known he said this only 3 months ago.

Not a great way to potentially run government, even in the nadir of the dark Blair/Brown days you couldn't imagine Blair announcing a major tax policy that Brown had said months ago would be wrong.

But presumably at some late point Miliband must have told Balls about his new wheeze. Balls should have been able to warn Miliband it was a bad idea even at the last minute. Better to abandon a daft policy even if it was planned before its announced than be humiliated after the announcement.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer

"If I were writing the fifth, the first thing I'd do would be to have Shia LaBoeuf killed off)."

Be fair, Mr. D., your second writing speciality is killing off characters, usually in inventive ways.
  • Options

Morning Mr. Jessup,

There is an OCED report which suggests that families helped through the scheme fair no better than those that aren't. Therefore, one can conclude that the scheme is a waste of time and resources, worse it actively encourages some families to change their lifestyle.
    Morning, mr Llama.

Oh, I haven't seen that report, and if so it may change my mind on something I'm extremely passionate about. Do you have a link?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,138
    BenM said:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2015/apr/08/election-2015-live-blog-labour-ed-miliband-non-dom-tax-loophole#block-55250014e4b08caf50c1ee39

I think that it is important that you make sure the non-dom rules work in a fair way. I think they were too lax in the past. Both the last Labour government and this Conservative government have tightened them up. That is something I will continue to look at. I think if you abolish the whole status then probably it ends up costing Britain money because there will be some people who will then leave the country.

Indeed - I may be missing something here, but if the Labour policy does not affect 60% of non-doms the whole status is not being abolished, is it?
  • Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    "Maybe EdM's non-doms policy is a way of marginalising Ed Balls & distancing himself from Blair" - Mike

And distancing himself from Brown and Darling and every other Labour Treasury minister in the past.
  • Options
    So Labour are making the story on Non Doms, UKIP on Common Fisheries Policy today.

These probably won't shift any votes but making the political weather is important at this time, even if the seas are choppy.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, strange but true: I had to add a few female characters to my WIP as the initial mortality rate [prior to certain changes] for women was 50% :p

Shade high for part one of a trilogy.
  • Options

Morning Mr. Jessup,

Morning, mr Llama.

Oh, I haven't seen that report, and if so it may change my mind on something I'm extremely passionate about. Do you have a link?
    Ummm. I was actually trying to gently poke fun at Mr Observer and his frequent quotes of an OECD (as opposed to OCED) report on eduction.

I apologise.
  • Options
    Area 51?

Patrick Wintour @patrickwintour
    Miliband on Balls quote saying NDs will cost UK: "We found a way that independent experts say will raise at least hundreds of millions".
  • Options
    @PippaCrerar: Ed Miliband says he has found a way to abolish non dom status that "independent experts" say would raise money- despite what Ed Balls said.
  • Options
    BenM said:

EPIC FAIL....... GAME OVER......
  • Options
    BenM said:

Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben.

You just don't get it. Actually, you don't want to get it.

Labour has massively screwed this up.

Eddie B is on the record opposing scrapping the Non-Dom rules - plain and simple.
    Eddie M has just launched a new policy saying he wants to scrap them.

The two most 'important' figures in the Labour party aren't talking to one another.

It is a classic split. A gaffe. A complete balls-up

And with regards to being tougher - didn't you notice that the Non-Dom rules got tougher in the Budget last month?

Oh Ben.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

So Labour are making the story on Non Doms, UKIP on Common Fisheries Policy today.

These probably won't shift any votes but making the political weather is important at this time, even if the seas are choppy.

All window-dressing. I guess the real campaign starts next week.

Polls suggesting neck and neck - not good for either party. Labour may get more seats BUT they should be winning this by a country mile.
  • Options

It is just bizarre watching it unroll. It is a piece of 1984 speak. Labour re-writing what they believe within a few weeks of saying it. If the media cannot nail Labour over this, then we probably know that Labour are untouchable.

Can you explain how a policy that does not affect 60% of those with non-dom status contradicts anything that Ed Balls said in January?

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TheWatcher

'BBC Radio News leading on Ed Balls comments, with a report on Labours Non Dom 'Confusion'. Whoops.'

Norman Smith BBC 'A major manifesto pledge that's gone pear shaped'

How sad is that.
  • Options

BenM said:

Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben.

Eddie B is on the record opposing scrapping the Non-Dom rules - plain and simple.

The two most 'important' figures in the Labour party aren't talking to one another.

And with regards to being tougher - didn't you notice that the Non-Dom rules got tougher in the Budget last month?

Oh Ben.

More Guido nonsense. Read the transacript.

Balls states that Labour will toughen up the rules no matter what the cost.

The Tory attack has petered out.

Now, will you Tories do what most of the commentariat is suggesting and bow to the nevitable over non doms?
  • Options
    Plato said:

Was it Croc Dundee or Indiana Jones who started this meme? Croc did the "No this is a knife" and Indie shot a bloke - but which was first?

Scott_P said:

@GuidoFawkes: Correction: Earlier we mistakenly stated @labourpress had stopped bringing a spoon to a knife fight. This was an error, and we apologise.

Indiana Jones was around 1980 whereas Crocodile Dundee was 1986ish (he says without checking) so I'd guess Indy got there first...I do still treasure that "That's not a knife...that's a knife" line though...

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    No - When it comes to Conspiracy or Cock-up – the latter is always the more likely. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Plato said:

Area 51?

Patrick Wintour @patrickwintour
    Miliband on Balls quote saying NDs will cost UK: "We found a way that independent experts say will raise at least hundreds of millions".

Hundred of millions....that is basically a rounding error in the UK economy...only 75 BILLION to go then....

Again if this is major manifesto stuff that in pure financial terms is basically a rounding error in the UK economy, Labour don't have any real plans (at least not the one that most will suspect, tax rises for everybody and a lot more borrowing) to deal with the deficit.

But as mood music, bash the rich is popular, so job done I guess.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,316

@Morris_Dancer

"If I were writing the fifth, the first thing I'd do would be to have Shia LaBoeuf killed off)."

Be fair, Mr. D., your second writing speciality is killing off characters, usually in inventive ways.

I drove through prime Llamaland yesterday on my way to Gatwick - even Midhurst. Lovely day for the Downs and not much evidence of elections.
  • Options
    BenM said:

BenM said:

Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben.

Oh Ben.

Now, will you Tories do what most of the commentariat is suggesting and bow to the nevitable over non doms?

Keep trying to peddle your line. It isn't working. But do keep peddling.

A competitive tax system is necessary for a thriving economy. Driving wealth creators out is absolutely not.

Balls knew that back in January.

What has changed?
  • Options
    @Plato - I know a few months back, one of the biggest billboard companies in the UK said the GE would not be a big boost for them. So sounds like the companies have known this for a while.
  • Options

Morning Mr. Jessup,

Morning, mr Llama.

Ummm. I was actually trying to gently poke fun at Mr Observer and his frequent quotes of an OECD (as opposed to OCED) report on eduction.

I apologise.
    Ah, okay. :-)

Hope all is well with you & yours. Sadly you don't seem to be posting as much as you used to.
  • Options
    Oh that's interesting. I know it's an expensive business, surprised that the outdoor market isn't considered too important nowadays.

It does great for morale and presence amongst activists I'd have thought. Defacing them online is the downside so maybe that's the crux of the change in tactics?

@Plato - I know a few months back, one of the biggest billboard companies in the UK said the GE would not be a big boost for them. So sounds like the companies have known this for a while.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    The comments on the MSM and elsewhere are not about ending the Nom Dom status of a few rich people ..they are about the total disarray between the the LOTO and his chief Minister..
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    I see Labours big new announcement that had Ben M all of a flutter has just crashed into the brickewall of reality.

POEWAS
  • Options

BenM said:

BenM said:

Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben.

Oh Ben.

A competitive tax system is necessary for a thriving economy. Driving wealth creators out is absolutely not.

What has changed?

Nothing has changed, the policy is following through what Balls said.

Nothing has changed as far as Tories are concerned. Still defending their rich non domiciled chums.

The voters are watching.
  • Options

Can you explain how a policy that does not affect 60% of those with non-dom status contradicts anything that Ed Balls said in January?
    I will wait to see what tax experts say, one on Sky earlier said that it was 5,000 people affected of the 110,000+ non-doms. An FT report from Govt data said that on average the payment was already £90k a year of those that paid.

So these 5,000 are apparently going to generate "hundreds of millions more", net, according to RedEd. With none re-arranging their financial affairs............
  • Options
    DimitryDimitry Posts: 49
    chestnut said:

Brilliant!
  • Options
    What a brilliant response from Ed:
    Miliband says the British people are fed up with a status quo that allows things like the non-dom rule.

As for people threatening to leave the country, we have heard all these arguments before. Some people even threatened to leave the country when Tony Blair became prime minister. It is what people with special privilege say when they want to carry on enjoying those privileges.

He cannot justify the non-dom rule. And he is going to run a country where there is one rule for all.

That will be a basic intuition of a Labour government, he says.
    Brilliant. Fresh. Music to mine and millions of voters' ears.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2015/apr/08/election-2015-live-blog-labour-ed-miliband-non-dom-tax-loophole#block-552503a6e4b006f9525456c0
  • Options
    Notice that the SI Con/LAB gap which was 15 this morning has now reverted to 16.
  • Options
    BenM said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben.

Oh Ben.

What has changed?

Nothing has changed as far as Tories are concerned. Still defending their rich non domiciled chums.

The voters are watching.

Nothing has changed as far as Labour are concerned. Still more bothered about hatred of the rich (at least the *wrong* rich) than helping the needy.
  • Options

I will wait to see what tax experts say, one on Sky earlier said that it was 5,000 people affected of the 110,000+ non-doms. An FT report from Govt data said that on average the payment was already £90k a year of those that paid.

So these 5,000 are apparently going to generate "hundreds of millions more", net, according to RedEd. With none re-arranging their financial affairs............

That'll be a No then.

There is no policy meltdown. CCHQ merely released a partial quote from Balls.

• Options
    Ed Balls has just released a statement saying that Ed Balls has not contradicted Ed Balls...

• Options
    BenM said:

Miliband says the British people are fed up with a status quo that allows things like the non-dom rule.

As for people threatening to leave the country, we have heard all these arguments before. Some people even threatened to leave the country when Tony Blair became prime minister. It is what people with special privilege say when they want to carry on enjoying those privileges.

He cannot justify the non-dom rule. And he is going to run a country where there is one rule for all.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2015/apr/08/election-2015-live-blog-labour-ed-miliband-non-dom-tax-loophole#block-552503a6e4b006f9525456c0

Meaningless words.

Yours. And his.

Is that the best you can do?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

@kentindell: Can the person who coined the term 'domnishambles' for today's farcical policy announcement please stand up and take a bow?
  • Options
    BenM said:

So if there is one rule for all, then he will get rid of and declare illegal the Sharia courts then?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,203
    Tories getting into a bit of a frenzy this morning. I'm just relieved that I didn't apply to go to the "Labour Event" in Sedgefield I received an invitation to attend.
  • Options
    BenM said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben.

Oh Ben.

What has changed?

The voters are watching.

That's the key Ben - the narrative.

As some of the more enlightened right-wing posters (not many I know) have suggested - this is very good politics and will play well with the electorate.

• Options
    BenM said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben.

Oh Ben.

What has changed?

The voters are watching.

And the media are ripping it apart. The voters will notice that even more.
  • Options
    The Tories will be saving the Inheritance tax announcement for next week maybe ?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    Scott_P said:

Ed Balls has just released a statement saying that Ed Balls has not contradicted Ed Balls...

War is Peace...
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited April 2015
    BenM said:

People didn't leave the country when Tory Blair came to power - but then he didn't do what Miliband is aiming to do.

"Brilliant. Fresh."

Hardly. Hollande in France already tried similar and it didn't work.

• Options
    BBC Leeds local radio are taking full credit for the intv on R5Live. And very pleased with themselves.

Labour have lost the argument here - all the media are going with GAFFE, no amount of arguing about it on here changes that.

Politics is politics.

That'll be a No then.

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    Look back at the comments at around midnight last night with lots of people stating what a terrible campaign the tories were running and how brilliant Labours was.

As i said last night if Eds nom dom thing was such a great policy it would have been done years ago.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,595

What has changed?

The election. Even Miliband realises that you can't actually campaign with a blank sheet of paper, so he has been dreaming up all sorts of "mood music" policies that he hopes will persuade the wavering lefty vote even though they rarely make sense or add up to anything substantial. Lord knows what Miliband will actually do when he is PM, he is probably crossing his fingers that Balls has some workable policies tucked away for emergency use.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,845

sorry SO it's all about how it plays. Stop arguing with the ref. It was a great policy announcement for Lab and it is now a great story for the Cons.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben, Ben.

Oh Ben.

What has changed?

The voters are watching.
    That's the key Ben - the narrative.

As some of the more enlightened right-wing posters (not many I know) have suggested - this is very good politics and will play well with the electorate.

It would have been good politics if Balls hadn't been on the record opposing the very plan that Miliband has now adopted.

The message is now about a split in the Shadow Cabinet rather than any new policy.

That is what today is now about.
  • Options

Tories getting into a bit of a frenzy this morning. I'm just relieved that I didn't apply to go to the "Labour Event" in Sedgefield I received an invitation to attend.

Lets face it, Labour desperately needed something to make people forget about Blair being all over the news yesterday.

Utterly toxic to the key Lib-Lab switchers imo.
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: The indy expert Miliband cited is a Labour member and admits he borked the numbers: http://t.co/vX0w5kL5fP
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,316
    currystar said:

Look back at the comments at around midnight last night with lots of people stating what a terrible campaign the tories were running and how brilliant Labours was.

As i said last night if Eds nom dom thing was such a great policy it would have been done years ago.

Neither of them is running a particulary sharp campaign. The reality is kicking in.

There's no money.

So all we have is spinny wheezes to fill the next 2 weeks. The elctorate wont be that much wiser on what they will do by the end of the campign
  • Options

@Morris_Dancer

I drove through prime Llamaland yesterday on my way to Gatwick - even Midhurst. Lovely day for the Downs and not much evidence of elections.
    Morning Mr. Brooke,

I have come to the conclusion that the people of the nice bits of Sussex have decided that elections are vulgar. Like lavatories and rat-catchers something that has to be there but one doesn't want to talk about in public, let alone make a fuss about.

I do like Midhurst and the surrounding areas - beautiful countryside and some prime pubs and eateries. Next to bugger all public transport though (thanks to that ass Beeching) so The Temperance Association doesn't do outings there as often as the place deserves.
  • Options
    Plato said:

BBC Leeds local radio are taking full credit for the intv on R5Live. And very pleased with themselves.

Labour have lost the argument here - all the media are going with GAFFE, no amount of arguing about it on here changes that.

Politics is politics.

That'll be a No then.

Yep. The Tories did what all parties would do. They released a partial quote and grabbed some attention away from EdM. It was very good politics and Labour would do exactly the same. Let's see where we are with this in a few hours time.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

It contradicts what had been trailed for Miliband.

The important image that comes across is that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

The detail of the policy is relegated to irrelevance, and explaining that most people will still get be free to avoid the tax would only make it look worse.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Michael Deacon ‏@MichaelPDeacon 4 mins4 minutes ago

"The Conservatives are a virtual party... They don't exist in reality," Ed Miliband reassures Labour activists

Errr...what?
  • Options
    glw said:

What has changed?

The election. Even Miliband realises that you can't actually campaign with a blank sheet of paper, so he has been dreaming up all sorts of "mood music" policies that he hopes will persuade the wavering lefty vote even though they rarely make sense or add up to anything substantial. Lord knows what Miliband will actually do when he is PM, he is probably crossing his fingers that Balls has some workable policies tucked away for emergency use.
    Well today's Balls-up makes Miliband's route to Number 10 even harder.

The media love to talk about a split between a Party Leader and their (Shadow) Chancellor.

And the Eds have delivered that on a platter with a very lovely sparkly bow on top
  • Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, and who says Miliband's weird?

Maybe he thinks he's Neo.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,761

Mr. Pit, d'you live around there, or get a flight out?

Never been to an F1 race in person. I suspect I'd loathe it, up close. [I really dislike loud noise].

Yes I'm not too far from there, hence the name!
    I try to get to 2 or 3 races a year, although forthcoming nuptials are putting something of a break on things now :o
    If you've never been I would recommend Silverstone, tickets are from 67 quid for the Friday this year. Also Spa if you fancy a short trip, best place to stand is at Eau Rouge as the cars change direction up the hill.
    If you find yourself with SeanT's income then I would recommend Singapore and Abu Dhabi, amazing events put on with money no object and brilliant atmosphere under lights.
    I make no comment on the noise, the bloody GP2 cars are louder than the "new" F1!
    http://www.silverstone.co.uk/events/2015-british-grand-prix/
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

sorry SO it's all about how it plays. Stop arguing with the ref. It was a great policy announcement for Lab and it is now a great story for the Cons.

We'll see. Everyone now knows that the Tories released a partial quote designed to give a false impression of the views Balls expressed in January.

• Options
    Balls claims the Tories edited his interview:
    https://twitter.com/edballsmp/status/585754970047258625
  • Options
    edited April 2015

glw said:

What has changed?

Well today's Balls-up makes Miliband's route to Number 10 even harder.

The media love to talk about a split between a Party Leader and their (Shadow) Chancellor.

And the Eds have delivered that on a platter with a very lovely sparkly bow on top
    I think because it was Easter, but the housing wheeze announced on Saturday was the same...

Not only did Labour get the wrong name of the ISA they were targetting, they had different names for their own policy on the same press released AND Miliband didn't inform "Team Balls" of it. FT rang up Balls people and they had no idea what they were banging on about when it came to forcing banks* to invest the money in those ISA in a housing fund.

* within 24hrs that unraveled as well, to "encouraged".
This discussion has been closed.