Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Big hope for the Tories: Labour’s cack-handed campaigning w

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited April 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Big hope for the Tories: Labour’s cack-handed campaigning will alienate 2010 LD switchers and tacticals

The only chance that LAB has on May 7th is by keeping on board the 2010 LD switchers who’ve moved since last time and winning support of yellow tactical voters in the marginals. Labour’s polling position has been buttressed the ex-LDs for the past four years.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Test
  • Options
    Has everyone gone to bed?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Nope!
  • Options
    OMG I think that is my first first :)
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Don't see the issue. Some voters may not be happy with cuts to Police and the Lib Dems being soft on crime. Will it win votes ? Pass

I would hope that Labour have other messages for the people of Bedford.
  • Options
    I thought I saw this tweet this morning... clearly OGH is displeased....

Probably Lucy Powell's brightest idea.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Seeing a few comments from parties in the last few days when asked about coalition possibilities, and sticking to the script re 'focusing on a majority' on all that, part of me wonders if they shouldn't change the script by now.

Obviously no-one wants to give the impression they are planning for such an outcome, or think it is likely, but the current evasive answer has had it's short lifespan already I feel, and surely doesn't fool anyone with its carefully phrased generalities. Just mix up the words and say something like 'We are confident we will win and that is our focus, but obviously we will consider the situation carefully whatever happens, but cannot confirm what would happen before then'. Ok, maybe it shows a little less bravado than they want, but how much would it hurt, honestly, to say they think they will win (even if they do not think that), and even if they didn't wouldn't guarantee working with anyone else.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Come on Mike....join the Blue Liberals. You know you want to.
  • Options
    The mind boggles - Bercow related?
  • Options
    felix said:

Get over it!
  • Options
    I'd put the leaflet's focus as unnecessary more than anything else. The Red Liberals don't need that much urging it would seem
    chestnut said:

Come on Mike....join the Blue Liberals. You know you want to.

Is that Tory voters who are more liberal than most, or LD voters who are more conservative than most?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @alanbeattie: UKIP candidate stands down at last minute to emigrate for work abroad. Yes, really. (h/t @campaigner) http://t.co/NtvEwEg8JD
  • Options
    From the Sunday Times

AT LEAST six Tory MPs will defect to Ukip if David Cameron tries to form another coalition with the Liberal Democrats, Nigel Farage believes.

The Ukip leader claims Conservatives who do not want another power-sharing deal with Nick Clegg “under any circumstances” are preparing to jump ship after the election.

In an interview with The Sunday Times, Farage said he had had conversations with “more than a handful” of Tories about joining Ukip if Cameron offers an in-out referendum on EU membership on terms dictated by the Lib Dems.
  • Options

felix said:

Get over it!
    Now,now your turn next.
  • Options
    Gordon Brown to be the source of the Sturgeon-leak....

(joke)
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:

@alanbeattie: UKIP candidate stands down at last minute to emigrate for work abroad. Yes, really. (h/t @campaigner) http://t.co/NtvEwEg8JD

Quite a lot of last minute withdrawals... this one, Dundee the other day...
  • Options
    This forum has problems tonight. When you log on the comments box is missing and you have to refresh the screen to get it to appear. Also sometimes comments appear to have gone missing, but another refresh shows the comments. It does not normally do this.
  • Options

Gordon Brown to be the source of the Sturgeon-leak....

(joke)

I hope you cleared that joke with the DG...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

From the Sunday Times

AT LEAST six Tory MPs will defect to Ukip if David Cameron tries to form another coalition with the Liberal Democrats, Nigel Farage believes.

The Ukip leader claims Conservatives who do not want another power-sharing deal with Nick Clegg “under any circumstances” are preparing to jump ship after the election.

In an interview with The Sunday Times, Farage said he had had conversations with “more than a handful” of Tories about joining Ukip if Cameron offers an in-out referendum on EU membership on terms dictated by the Lib Dems.

If Mark Reckless loses Rochester, their willingness to jump might be rather limited...
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    This thread is spot on the money.

Almost every beneficial Lib vote is now with Labour. It has tapped the well to its absolute extreme. Campaigning for more with anti-Liberal strategies is a complete waste of time.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

From the Sunday Times

If Mark Reckless loses Rochester, their willingness to jump might be rather limited...
    Farage can 'believe' what he likes. But unless he provides evidence, it just more purple hot air
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

From the Sunday Times

Bye Bye TPD!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    I think former LD supporters will know that LDs have supported every single Tory cut and be pretty disgusted with the LDs.

Attacking them from the right as per that poster pretty dumb though
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    edited April 2015
    Agree. Insane leaflet. Labour have always had this idea that to appear TOUGH and illiberal is the way to win the public's hearts and minds. It's completely off putting and not just to Lib Dems
  • Options

I will put you down as a maybe then....

Broxtowe voter?
  • Options
    Dair said:

Almost every beneficial Lib vote is now with Labour. It has tapped the well to its absolute extreme. Campaigning for more with anti-Liberal strategies is a complete waste of time.

It is reminding people of lost Police officers under the coalition. But of course this means that Labour are committed to spending more on Police. Have not heard them say that.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    RE: LDs
    A poster on UK Polling Report put up a graph of 2010 LD voters current VI over time. It appears to show a late swing to the Conservatives.

http://i.imgur.com/y5ZMjFJ.png

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9327/comment-page-3#comment-987076
  • Options
    UKIP buried poll showing Farage losing Thanet South

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBxl4e2WIAAOoSx.jpg
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    edited April 2015
    Greetings from Amshterdam!

Part-ELBOW for the week so far updated for Opinium - Tory lead pegged back ever so slightly to 0.4%. Only YouGov (assuming there's one overnight) can spoil the first official Tory lead* in ELBOW since the series begain last August!

(*There was a Tory lead of 0.01% a few weeks ago but this was rounded down to 0.0%!)
  • Options
    edited April 2015

I think former LD supporters will know that LDs have supported every single Tory cut and be pretty disgusted with the LDs.

Well with Labour going to cut about as much as the Tories (particularly as the Tories have rather awkwardly for Labour not done the job properly and left plenty of cuts left to come), apparently their disgust will only be around how much they think the person doing the cutting is enjoying doing it if as it seems they will be voting Labour now. Strikes me as pretty silly to make that distinction, but whatever works for them.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290

From the Sunday Times

How many more defections were predicted / expected after Rochester?

And then in the New Year?

I remember specifically that defections were "expected" once it got past the date when a by-election could no longer be called.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    No, I voted tactically in 2010 and will do so again this year. In Ludlow it doesn't make a great deal of difference mind... The LD's would currently be making a decent fist of tempting me back from a flirtation with Green if it wasn't for the fear that they'll spend another 5 years enabling the forces of evil.
  • Options
    @NCPoliticsUK: Mail have seen a leaked private poll showing CON leading in Thanet South, UKIP second, LAB close third (Via @SkyNews) http://t.co/SqRmz0SB7X
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@NCPoliticsUK: Mail have seen a leaked private poll showing CON leading in Thanet South, UKIP second, LAB close third (Via @SkyNews) http://t.co/SqRmz0SB7X

What the pub landlord isn't in the running?
  • Options

Nobody is going to 'jump' if that happens
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

RE: LDs
    A poster on UK Polling Report put up a graph of 2010 LD voters current VI over time. It appears to show a late swing to the Conservatives.

http://i.imgur.com/y5ZMjFJ.png

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9327/comment-page-3#comment-987076

What a fabulous chart. It appears to show:

1. The LibDem -> Labour switchers have been in decline
    2. LibDem -> Conservatvies are on the rise
    3. LibDem -> UKIP has been flat
    4. LibDem -> LibDem has been awful for a long-time, but is not getting any worse
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    hucks67 said:

Dair said:

It is reminding people of lost Police officers under the coalition. But of course this means that Labour are committed to spending more on Police. Have not heard them say that.
    Sorry that's not how political campaigning works.

There's only two types of political message. Hope/Change and X=Bad. This is an X(Liberal)=Bad. It's completely wasted. People don't vote for more police or less crime. They vote for a better future or to stop an enemy.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Farage feels the cold knife of betrayal in his back. Played like a Stradivarius by the Mail for 5 years but now thrown under a bus.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Beware of leaks!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I thought it was "interesting" ? Lib Dem up a lot I guess.
  • Options
    @NCPoliticsUK: YouGov/Times:

CON 34 (-3)
    LAB 33 (-2)
    LIB 10 (+3)
    UKIP 13 (+1)
    GRN 4 (-1)

Fieldwork 3rd-4th
    Cleggmania 2? Daily roundup to follow!
    #GE2015
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Farage losing would be glorious. Less so than Salmond losing, though!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound · 1 min1 minute ago
    YouGov/Sunday Times poll: Tories lead by 1 point.
    Con 34%
    Lab 33%
    LD 10%
    Ukip 13%
    SNP/PC 5%
    Green 4%

• Options
    It is not that interesting - but to come out of that 'debate' in front will keep the Blues smiling
  • Options
    The YG poll is surprisingly ok for the Tories.
  • Options
    @ShippersUnbound: S.Times splash: Tories now the party of workers. 56% say Cons good for employees of large firms, 12% say they’re bad. Lab 28% good, 27% bad

@ShippersUnbound: YouGov/Sunday Times: Cameron personal rating now +2 (was -1 last week), Miliband -26
  • Options
    felix said:

The YG poll is surprisingly ok for the Tories.

Was hoping for 38 ;)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I believe some of us pointed out that 'they would say that wouldn't they' if the opposite was true - re recent reports on PB from our kipper friends who were reporting the Tories had given up in S Thanet and were nowhere, the blues needed to support Nigel to stop Labour....
  • Options

@ShippersUnbound: S.Times splash: Tories now the party of workers. 56% say Cons good for employees of large firms, 12% say they’re bad. Lab 28% good, 27% bad

@ShippersUnbound: YouGov/Sunday Times: Cameron personal rating now +2 (was -1 last week), Miliband -26

EIC?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    I think the Conservatives will be reasonably happy with that.

Still ahead in a poll taken immediately after the debate.

5 weeks to go by when the debate will be long forgotten.
  • Options
    Time to lay Theresa May as next Tory leader

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/584455838254952448
  • Options
    If Tim was still on here,he would be going ballistic on that front page ;-)

• Options
    Scott_P said:

CON 34 (-3)
    LAB 33 (-2)
    LIB 10 (+3)
    UKIP 13 (+1)
    GRN 4 (-1)

Fieldwork 3rd-4th
    Cleggmania 2? Daily roundup to follow!
    #GE2015

Lol the Smithson effect and the Red liberals swing back in full flow. :)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Tonights YG - EICIPM (just about)

Not sure what ramping earlier was about

Or has the Sunday Sun got another YG?
  • Options

Time to lay Theresa May as next Tory leader

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/584455838254952448

I must admit I find it hard to take The Independent seriously these days. They certainly aren't independent and do love to overplay their hand.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    Huzzah, This means YG guarantees a Tory lead in an official end-of-week ELBOW for the first time!!!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Anybody got an idea of the detail in that Thanet polling?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Scott_P said:

CON 34 (-3)
    LAB 33 (-2)
    LIB 10 (+3)
    UKIP 13 (+1)
    GRN 4 (-1)

Fieldwork 3rd-4th
    Cleggmania 2?

Ha! Not as dramatic a round of changes as I would have liked for amusement's sake, but not bad. Let's see if the LDs can keep a double digit score for a couple of days, and we'll all have been fools for doubting their strategy of turtling up.

Bit harsh on the Greens, given Bennett did alright and was left free to put her views without being attacked in the debates, which could have improved her personal image somewhat. Hasn't filtered through to the party VI if it has happened I guess.
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Quite apart from my unionist quavering at the SNP landslide, Salmond losing would be a fantastic result simply because it seems such a foregone conclusion. Massive upsets always nice to see. A loss to the Commons if he did lose though.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Lib Dems up 30%. Not bad!
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    It`s really bizarre.

PBers tell us Cameron did fantastically well in the debates,yet there is a collective sense of relief if Con lead is reduced!
  • Options

Tonights YG - EICIPM (just about)

Not sure what ramping earlier was about

Or has the Sunday Sun got another YG?

I think the 'interesting' thing is that like all the other polls this w/e there is virtually no change. A nice bit of egg on the faces of the broadcasters.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

From the Sunday Times

(a) Farage has form of making fanciful claims about Tory defects. He knows he's losing traction and wants to try to destabilize the Tories. I smell BS.

(b) If the Tories don't have enough votes to get a referendum approved by the HoC it doesn't happen. So either the LibDems get to dictate the terms, or there isn't a vote. Now personally, I think they'd be crazy to try and amend the terms of the referendum (eg including EU nationals) as it will really piss off a lot of voters who will think it a fix but the pro-EU side. Far better to trade it for something valuable for themselves (eg STV for local elections) than mess around.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    hucks67 said:

Don't see the issue. Some voters may not be happy with cuts to Police and the Lib Dems being soft on crime. Will it win votes ? Pass

I would hope that Labour have other messages for the people of Bedford.

Read the OP -- this leaflet was targeted at LibDem voters -- so (a) don't start by insulting them, and (b) don't campaign on authoritarianism.
  • Options
    Sunder Katwala ‏@sundersays · 2 mins2 minutes ago

Sunder Katwala retweeted Nick Sutton
    Mail on Sunday splash claims UKIP commissioned South Thanet poll which showed Farage in 3rd place behind Cons & Lab

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    30th anniversary of the death of Willie McRae tomorrow.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

It`s really bizarre.

PBers tell us Cameron did fantastically well in the debates,yet there is a collective sense of relief if Con lead is reduced!

Dave's leader ratings are back up to positive territory.

Which I believe is an indicator of upcoming increase in Tory VI.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

It`s really bizarre.

We feel your pain :)
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    If I was Labour I'd be going after the Red Ukkippers - unfortunately Ed has tied himself to the pro-European mast very heavily (going after the lib dems). Unless of course I think I've lost them permanently and are desperately scrabbling for votes.

I think we can expect ever more ludicrous spending/ nationalising policies from Ed in the next 4+ weeks as desperation kicks in.
  • Options
    @jonwalker121: Sunday Times reporting former NY Mayor @MikeBloomberg could be Tory candidate 4 London mayor (@karren_brady has also said she's interested)
  • Options
    EXC: Nigel Farage tells Sunday Times six more Tory MPs set to defect to Ukip if Cameron tries another coalition with Lib Dems.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TSE

'AT LEAST six Tory MPs will defect to Ukip if David Cameron tries to form another coalition with the Liberal Democrats, Nigel Farage believes.'

What happened to the ten Tory MP's that were going to defect to UKIP after Carswell & Reckless.
  • Options
    I think there's a wisdom index in the Telegraph

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBxo_KlWMAAO9D7.jpg
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    I think that's the highest Lib Dem score with YouGov since August last year.Neither Survation or Opinium found any Lib Dem boost though.
  • Options

EXC: Nigel Farage tells Sunday Times six more Tory MPs set to defect to Ukip if Cameron tries another coalition with Lib Dems.

Nobody defects to a loser...
  • Options
    Anyone else not seeing links to twitter posts? I thought people were making an odd point by posting blank spaces somehow, which admittedly would have as much content as one of my average comments, but alas was not the case as I could see when 'quoting' the empty spaces. Not seen that error before.
  • Options
    Charles said:

From the Sunday Times

(a) Farage has form of making fanciful claims about Tory defects.
    He does. Although to be fair, eventually a couple did come true.
  • Options
    NumbrCrunchrPolitics ‏@NCPoliticsUK · 13 mins13 minutes ago
    Mail have seen a leaked private poll showing CON leading in Thanet South, UKIP second, LAB close third (Via @SkyNews)

• Options

I think there's a wisdom index in the Telegraph

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CBxo_KlWMAAO9D7.jpg

Tories ahead with women, surely that can't be correct.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    john_zims said:

@TSE

'AT LEAST six Tory MPs will defect to Ukip if David Cameron tries to form another coalition with the Liberal Democrats, Nigel Farage believes.'

What happened to the ten Tory MP's that were going to defect to UKIP after Carswell & Reckless.

Not as likely to win a by-election I suspect, and ruing the precedent those two had set. A few of them I am sure can act for UKIP in deed if not word just as well under the Tory banner.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

I'm hoping Mr Clegg will provide a TV treasure for election night.

(Gordon Brown would have been even better.)
  • Options
    Farage losing would be my Portillo moment in the early hours of 8th May...

Particularly as he said he would step down as leader - how delicious
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    This relies on the assumptions that 2010 Lib Dems are primarily motivated by being socially liberal, and that the ones who are the most socially liberal are the Labour defectors. The polling evidence is against both of these theories.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    SMukesh said:

It`s really bizarre.

Could you link to a post saying that Cameron did fantastically well in the debates, please? I will then immediately apologise for calling you a trolling sockpuppet.

Thanks.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

NumbrCrunchrPolitics ‏@NCPoliticsUK · 13 mins13 minutes ago
    Mail have seen a leaked private poll showing CON leading in Thanet South, UKIP second, LAB close third (Via @SkyNews)

</

Put up or shut up

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    One thing it is clear, UKIP themselves are on very safe ground with respect to defecting MPs. Bless.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Increases for LDs and UKIP - sleazy Tories and Labour on the slide.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    felix said:

SMukesh said:

It`s really bizarre.

We feel your pain :)
    Cons Lab neck and neck on votes=Cons well behind on seats and out of race.
  • Options
    Thanet ukip poll - Con 31% ukip 30% lab 29%.

Wow,close all 3 parties.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

Farage losing would be my Portillo moment in the early hours of 8th May...

Particularly as he said he would step down as leader - how delicious

Farage, Clegg, Dougie Alexander, Charlie Kennedy - there are shitloads of potential Portillo moments this time.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Does ComRes weight their polls against 2010 GE voting which may explain collapse in UKIP vote in Thanet South in comparison to Survation?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited April 2015
    There's a lot of game playing going on by all sides in Thanet South, probably expected for a tight three way marginal where each side are fighting for the same voters. The fact Farage could come third in one poll and 11% ahead in another shows that it's an unpredictable seat and Farage will have no idea if he will be a MP until election night itself.

Edit-Farage could easily still be ahead going on that poll.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Charles said:

From the Sunday Times

(a) Farage has form of making fanciful claims about Tory defects. He knows he's losing traction and wants to try to destabilize the Tories. I smell BS.

(b) If the Tories don't have enough votes to get a referendum approved by the HoC it doesn't happen. So either the LibDems get to dictate the terms, or there isn't a vote. Now personally, I think they'd be crazy to try and amend the terms of the referendum (eg including EU nationals) as it will really piss off a lot of voters who will think it a fix but the pro-EU side. Far better to trade it for something valuable for themselves (eg STV for local elections) than mess around.
    c) If I was a particularly mischievous Tory backbencher, I might waste Farage's time by talking to him about defecting, and report back to CCHQ everything that was said, and especially names. If I was particularly mischievous I might go further, and lead Farage to call the press pack out to the middle of nowhere and not turn up. :-)
This discussion has been closed.