Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft becomes the third pollster in a row not to su

1235»

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Bassssssiiiiillllllll.... ;)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    ruralvoter Indeed, we have received literature from The Tories, Independents and Labour so far in Hereford but not the LDs
  • Options

Is a spoof account,

Noticed...and edited post. Joys of twitter + spoof accounts that get retweeted + multi-tasking.

Best MP spoof twitter? Boles?
    Yup, he's a top egg, makes me laugh out loud several times a day, he's the Matt of Twitter/Photoshop
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    SeanT Germany has lower unemployment and a lower deficit than the US and UK, and a higher gdp per capita than the UK and Japan
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    What's the ETA on YouGov? Are we expecting any other polls? Smelling salts on standby.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    edited March 2015

Sean_F said:

felix said:
    Another ex Tory, UKIP have done so much to detoxify the Tory party.
    Yet Matthew Parris says the Conservatives "really piss people off" without understanding that his piece about Clacton is the sort of thing that pisses people off.

Camilla Long's piece in the Sunday Times about Thanet South seems to have enraged the Kippers too

http://www.ukip.org/ukip_leader_slams_tory_paper_attack_on_thanet
    I just don't understand how some Conservatives can imagine that mocking the lower classes can enhance their image.
  • Options
    RobD said:

What's the ETA on YouGov? Are we expecting any other polls? Smelling salts on standby.

10.30pm
  • Options
    RobD said:

ETA 22:30. Basil's ready...

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

felix said:
    Yet Matthew Parris says the Conservatives "really piss people off" without understanding that his piece about Clacton is the sort of thing that pisses people off.

I suspect Parris was merely revealing what he thought, and has always thought, of the sort of people who live in Clacton.

I remember on one of those Thatcher retrospective programs of a few years ago Parris recounted how, when working in Thatcher's office in the 1970s, he and his chums referred to Thatcher as 'Hilda' behind her back.

The reason being that they thought Hilda a more downmarket name than Margaret.
    Parris famously wrote a letter to a woman making fun of her complaints about her council accommodation when he was Thatcher's secretary.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2015
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

We are all ready and waiting....anticipation too much for some.

http://static.parade.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/hamster-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    If YouGov show's a Con lead I bet Mike's headline is:

"Latest YouGov Doesn't Show 4% Lad Lead..."

:smiley:
  • Options

RobD said:

10.30pm
    46 minutes :anguished:
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    On the vote-swapping nonsense, in a supposed democracy it is every voter's right to seek to persuade, within reason, another voter to vote a different way.

So the absolute defence would seem to be "we persuaded each other it was the right thing to do"...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

Camilla Long's piece in the Sunday Times about Thanet South seems to have enraged the Kippers too

I just don't understand how some Conservatives can imagine that mocking the lower classes enhances can enhance their image.
    I think it works both ways, Kippers regularly insult/mock the upper class Tories.

But it's not going to win them back if the Tories have any hope of a majority in 2015 or 2020
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

On the vote-swapping nonsense, in a supposed democracy it is every voter's right to seek to persuade, within reason, another voter to vote a different way.

So the absolute defence would seem to be "we persuaded each other it was the right thing to do"...

Unfortunately, we have evidence to the contrary ;)
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited March 2015
    Edit - brain farted and posted nonsense.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

We are all ready and waiting....anticipation too much for some.

http://static.parade.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/hamster-2.jpg
    It'd better be good for Con or Basil will heading for the ratatouille...
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

10.30pm
    Just remember, after Easter, YouGov goes 7 days a week.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

10.30pm
    #megpollingdaily

• Options
    Dair said:

Edit - brain farted and posted nonsense.

Happens to the best of us :p
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

10.30pm
    #megpollingdaily

What frequency will they go to after May, twice a day??
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

10.30pm
    #megpollingdaily

It fills me with dread.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    RodCrosby said:

If people want to come to an unofficial agreement you can hardly stop them. They should however be voting in private and not taking any photographic evidence. If they trust each other it's their choice.
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

10.30pm
    #megpollingdaily

5 days a week
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

10.30pm
    #megpollingdaily

It fills me with dread.
    Why? Polls and debates about debates about debates about debates = #Election2015

• Options

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

10.30pm
    #megpollingdaily

5 days a week
    Bah!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2015
    Miliband's little EU business stunt getting some good headlines....FT have got "Is Ed Anti-Business".

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/582645618230820864
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    edited March 2015
    welshowl said:

TGOHF said:
    This constant interfering in markets really concerns me about Ed ( housing rents, building land, energy et al). Sure the free market is not utterly perfect 100% of the time but it is the best option in many many circumstances and sticking an oar in can have worse consequences.

This is one. Aside from the accountancy field day this 5% cap will unleash as others have said, and the now possible excepting of drugs, what if a company invents a world beating health widget which is cheaper and better than anything before but insists it will only sell it at 20% profit (however defined by Ed), Is the NHS going to be deprived of it for ideological reasons alone, saddling patients and the taxpayer with inferior and dearer options whilst the company cheerfully sells the widget to everyone else worldwide?
    Lol. Like the central plank of government policy for the last 5 years hasn't been interfering to keep the housing market fully inflated.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited March 2015
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

10.30pm
    #megpollingdaily

It fills me with dread.
    Why? Polls and debates about debates about debates about debates = #Election2015

I reckon this is the election when we're going to have too many polls.

Too much heat, not enough light.

Add in the fact Lord Ashcroft is reportedly going to be releasing weekly constituency polling and Scotland specific polling, we could be having 5 to 8 polling events some days.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

10.30pm
    #megpollingdaily

It fills me with dread.

Add in the fact Lord Ashcroft is reportedly going to be releasing weekly constituency polling and Scotland specific polling, we could be having 5-8 polling events a day.
    It does seem a little too much...
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Are you getting worried Labour?! :lol:
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Indigo said:

DavidL - If you honestly believe Cameron and Osborne are centrists then it's no wonder so many of your fellow countrymen are disillusioned with life in the Union! Let us not forget that they unveiled the most ridiculous anti-government scorched earth austerity programme in 2010 that was almost beyond parody in its anti-keynesian idiocy. Luckily for us George did a partial u-turn as borrowing refused to come down and he even embraced a bit of stimulus to the housing market (completely the wrong sector of the UK economy to be stimuating but you could argue something was better than nothing). All the worst kind of Tory thinking - get government out the way, don't interfere in the market, unless it's housing, in which case it's all fine.

Wut ? Keynes advocated heavy spending stimulus in a downturn and cutting back and saving in the good times. The sort of pissing money up the wall in the good times both parties have been doing in the last decade probably has him spinning in his grave!

If you think Osborne's feeble cutting back of less than 2% over a whole parliament is austerity, you have clearly lost touch with that well known right-wing monetarist Denis Healey who cut 4% from spending in one year in 1974, I realise him being Labour, and therefore making "cuddly cuts" is different.
    According to the IMF the underlying deficit reduction in Britain has been 6.6% of GDP, with 3.5% still to go.
    The definition of a tight fiscal policy is to cut spending and or raise taxes. The IFS points out that over the course of the parliament the coalition will have tightened by 7% of GDP, slightly less than the 7.9% it originally planned.
    You may or may not like this but that's what's happened.

This government has missed its borrowing targets by hundreds of billions.

No it has not.
    The govt proposed to eliminate the structural deficit. Borrowing targets were based on the size of the structural deficit assumed at the time. This turned out to be much bigger. The IFS pointed out that estimates of the size of the structural budget deficit – that which is not dependent on the economic cycle – increased between 2010 and the end of 2012.
    - ie the destruction of productive capacity was greater.
    The govt could have cut more to meet the target and ruined the economy, it extended its target by 2 years to 2017. That meant 100 billion extra borrowing over that time.
    Labour talk of £200+ billion extra borrowing is rubbish (again as the IFS point out).

Labours black hole was bigger.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    edited March 2015

Barnesian said:

Indigo said:

Barnesian said:

Indigo said:

Two people will vote in the constituencies in which they live having decided how best to deploy their votes. as is their right in our democracy.

So you would be happy for the Conservative Party to start organising it in marginals where they are just behind Labour ?

Anyone planning to write a vote sharing app ? VotR maybe ?
    The Conservative Party used to organise that overseas voters placed their vote in Tory marginals. An overseas voter only had to declare that they had some tenuous relationship with the constituency to be able to vote there, - like my mother used to shop there. I don't know whether this is still allowed.
    I am voting from overseas. I used to live in the marginal Swindon South, now I am proxy voting in the rock steady Tory Hereford & South Herefordshire, not sure that went to plan ;)
    Why are you doing that!
    Hereford used to be a Lib Dem seat, hence it is 'marginal'. But Jesse Norman seems safe.
    When I looked up the rules on this I understood that you were supposed to register in the seat where you had last been registered as a resident. My best mate who has moved to Oz was previously resident in Sheffield Hallam you see....
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Ave_it said:

Are you getting worried Labour?! :lol:

Basil's been rather quiet today actually...

:smiley:

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

10.30pm
    #megpollingdaily

It fills me with dread.

Add in the fact Lord Ashcroft is reportedly going to be releasing weekly constituency polling and Scotland specific polling, we could be having 5-8 polling events a day.
    It does seem a little too much...
    And you know, the one outlier gets the most prominence in the media.

Then you've also got the post debates/interview polling to deal with as well.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

TGOHF said:
    This constant interfering in markets really concerns me about Ed ( housing rents, building land, energy et al). Sure the free market is not utterly perfect 100% of the time but it is the best option in many many circumstances and sticking an oar in can have worse consequences.

This is one. Aside from the accountancy field day this 5% cap will unleash as others have said, and the now possible excepting of drugs, what if a company invents a world beating health widget which is cheaper and better than anything before but insists it will only sell it at 20% profit (however defined by Ed), Is the NHS going to be deprived of it for ideological reasons alone, saddling patients and the taxpayer with inferior and dearer options whilst the company cheerfully sells the widget to everyone else worldwide?
    Lol. Like the central plank of government for the last 5 years hasn't been interfering to keep the housing market fully inflated.
    No fair point. There has been some of that going on and it's not great either. It's just I get the vibe Ed can't pass a market stall without wanting to regulate the price by capping it. We don't improve living standards by declaring everything's cheaper by diktat. You just end up limiting the supply, but I'm not certain he wants to know.
  • Options
    SeanT On the eurozone as a whole you are right, but within the eurozone economies like those of Germany and the Netherlands and Luxembourg are still doing well even in global terms, and while the population fall in Germany may mean the UK overtakes it in gdp terms, in gdp per capita terms that is much less likely. Even if London remains ahead of Frankfurt in the financial sector, Germany will still remain well ahead on manufacturing too
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

felix said:

I just don't understand how some Conservatives can imagine that mocking the lower classes enhances can enhance their image.
    I think it works both ways, Kippers regularly insult/mock the upper class Tories.

But it's not going to win them back if the Tories have any hope of a majority in 2015 or 2020
    Likewise Tories regularly insult/mock upper class Labour - EdM's two kitchens being an example.

Inevitably many people will insult/mock people different to themselves.

But its not a good idea for politicians to mock/insult people whose votes they need.

Though with politicians being drawn from an increasingly narrow background the groupthink this encourages we're seeing that happen.

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT Germany has lower unemployment and a lower deficit than the US and UK, and a higher gdp per capita than the UK and Japan

In nominal terms, with the ongoing collapse of the euro, I'd be surprised if its GDP per capita remains higher than the UK's for long.

The UK also has considerably stronger growth than Germany (as does the US).

We can all cherry pick stats to make our point. My point (inarguable, I think) is that Germany only seems to be doing well because it is seen in comparison to the dire performance of peripheral eurozone nations.

Compare it to much of the rest of the world, and it has big big problems. Like all of Europe.
    The long term (even the medium run) strength of Sterling shows absolutely no more resilience than the Euro does. Sure it's a little higher just now but the likelihood of that persisting is near zero.

The more lunatic fringe of Friedman disciples in the UK have been predicting the UK to overtake Germany for decades. Yet it's never looked remotely likely.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bbclaurak: Interesting - I'm told some Labour members asked to try and hold back elex spending in case 2nd poll later in the year... #newsnight
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Has Newton Dunn ramped the Yougov yet ?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    SeanT said:

OGH's vote swapping does seem a tiny bit questionable. I can't exactly pin it down. Just not quite electoral cricket.

His boasting about it on here is downright bizarre, for a much-respected wiseacre.

Not cricket, eh? I suppose I should keep schtum then about the time I repeated his trick with twelve different people...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Interesting - I'm told some Labour members asked to try and hold back elex spending in case 2nd poll later in the year... #newsnight

Let's hope they get a refund on the VAT posters then!
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    RodCrosby said:

SeanT said:

OGH's vote swapping does seem a tiny bit questionable. I can't exactly pin it down. Just not quite electoral cricket.

His boasting about it on here is downright bizarre, for a much-respected wiseacre.

Not cricket, eh? I suppose I should keep schtum then about the time I repeated his trick with twelve different people...
    Think you supposed intellectuals suffer from a collective arrogance in that you are above democracy.
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited March 2015
    Viz. London seats.

Battersea and Finchley are not lost causes for Labour. They have a fighting chance....

Long shot - Wimbledon (Lib Dem collapse could allow Labour in) - Merton is a Labour council after all.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Wut ? Keynes advocated heavy spending stimulus in a downturn and cutting back and saving in the good times. The sort of pissing money up the wall in the good times both parties have been doing in the last decade probably has him spinning in his grave!

If you think Osborne's feeble cutting back of less than 2% over a whole parliament is austerity, you have clearly lost touch with that well known right-wing monetarist Denis Healey who cut 4% from spending in one year in 1974, I realise him being Labour, and therefore making "cuddly cuts" is different.

According to the IMF the underlying deficit reduction in Britain has been 6.6% of GDP, with 3.5% still to go.
    The definition of a tight fiscal policy is to cut spending and or raise taxes. The IFS points out that over the course of the parliament the coalition will have tightened by 7% of GDP, slightly less than the 7.9% it originally planned.

No it has not.
    The govt proposed to eliminate the structural deficit. Borrowing targets were based on the size of the structural deficit assumed at the time. This turned out to be much bigger. The IFS pointed out that estimates of the size of the structural budget deficit – that which is not dependent on the economic cycle – increased between 2010 and the end of 2012.
    The govt could have cut more to meet the target and ruined the economy, it extended its target by 2 years to 2017. That meant 100 billion extra borrowing over that time.
    Labour talk of £200+ billion extra borrowing is rubbish (again as the IFS point out).

Why are you telling such pointless lies.

Osborne's borrowing predictions are in his 2010 budget.

He will miss them by hundreds of billions.

Osborne's 2010 budget also gives predictions as to how much government debt will be as a percentage of GDP.

Compare his prediction then to his prediction in this months' budget.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    SeanT said:

It's grubby.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

SeanT said:

A fool and his vote are easily parted.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Let's hope they get a refund on the VAT posters then!
    If they are that hard pushed perhaps they could do a "sale or return" deal.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Viz. London seats.

Battersea and Finchley are not lost causes for Labour. They have a fighting chance....

Long shot - Wimbledon (Lib Dem collapse could allow Labour in) - Merton is a Labour council after all.

You sound like one of the London Tories of 2010, bigging up your chances in the most impossible of places.

For your information Labour elected a grand total of 6 councillors in Wimblendon constituency in 2014, compared to 20 Conservative. Labour control of Merton council comes not from Wimblendon but form Mitcham and Morden.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Indigo said:

No it has not.

Osborne's 2010 budget also gives predictions as to how much government debt will be as a percentage of GDP.

Read what respected economists say. Are they lying? The facts are the structural deficit was bigger than predicted and so the task was bigger and the time taken longer.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT On the eurozone as a whole you are right, but within the eurozone economies like those of Germany and the Netherlands and Luxembourg are still doing well even in global terms, and while the population fall in Germany may mean the UK overtakes it in gdp terms, in gdp per capita terms that is much less likely. Even if London remains ahead of Frankfurt in the financial sector, Germany will still remain well ahead on manufacturing too

This is just bollocks, sorry.

The UK had a higher GDP per capita than Germany in 2007. Currency fluctuations since then have altered this, not economic growth: the UK has grown FASTER than Germany since the 2008 Krunch.

"Britain’s recovery from the 2008 global recession has overtaken Germany and is now better than any other leading European nation, official figures show.

Britain’s recovery has now been better than in Germany, France or Italy, as well as Japan, and behind just Canada and the US in the G7."

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/economics/article4335950.ece

Germany is in trouble. We're all in trouble. Britain might in the end do better than her neighbours.
    Germany has the biggest trade sirplus in the world. Substantially bigger than China. Largely because of its very competitive (and incidentally well paid) commercial environment.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-09/germany-posting-record-surplus-gives-fodder-to-economy-s-critics

If only our economy could outperform a country with 12 times the population!
  • Options

No it has not.

Read what respected economists say. Are they lying? The facts are the structural deficit was bigger than predicted and so the task was bigger and the time taken longer.
    'respected economists'

LOL

You can find 'respected economists' to give any opinion you want.

Read what Osborne predicted in his 2010 budget and compare with what happened in reality and what he predicted in his 2015 budget.

Hundreds of billions of extra borrowing and much higher debt.

That you continue to deny FACTS and instead prefer OPINIONS shows how desperate you are.
This discussion has been closed.