Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft becomes the third pollster in a row not to su

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited March 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lord Ashcroft becomes the third pollster in a row not to support the YouGov 4% LAB lead poll

There’ve been three published polls since the Sunday Times YouGov LAB 4% lead poll. ComRes had 4% CON lead last night, Populus had the parties level pegging this morning and now Lord Ashcroft has a 2% CON lead.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Keep calm and remember it is essentially neck and neck.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Indeed, Mr. Eagles.

I just hope the media aren't as ridiculous as 2010 when they over-egged the polls (especially YouGov).
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Tremendous effort to get "4% Lab Lead" into the headline.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Indeed, Mr. Eagles.

I just hope the media aren't as ridiculous as 2010 when they over-egged the polls (especially YouGov).

Based on form yesterday, I'm afraid you won't get your wish!
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited March 2015

It's always the trend though according to PB.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Yet again, His Lordship publishes a LibDem figure at variance from what's in his tables. I make the LibDems on 7, like the Greens.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    TSE skewered the YG weekend poll re. the 5% watched the tv debate & 20% of YG Vi did = YG online polls are done by politically active people so not representative. Treat with due caution.
  • Options
    ELBOWing ComRes, Populus and Ashcroft puts the Tories 1.3% ahead (was 1.1% with just ComRes and Populus).

Hell no! I mean Yes!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

The thing I want everyone to remember is what a disaster in so many ways the last labour government were.

Anyone but Labour.
  • Options

ELBOWing ComRes, Populus and Ashcroft puts the Tories 1.3% ahead (was 1.1% with just ComRes and Populus).

Hell no! I mean Yes!

Oh my!
  • Options
    Dr. D, I fear so as well.

Although I'm more disappointed about the wish involving Jennifer Morrison and Olivia Wilde, to be honest.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Something about the trend being your friend.
  • Options
    YouGov is the Gold Standard! :)
  • Options
    edited March 2015

You're forgetting the PB Golden Rule ;)
  • Options

Yeah I noticed that but rightful ownership of train sets in'all.

Cup 25% full not 3/4 empty
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    With Scotland heading the way of the Scottish Nutcase Party those figures for England are hugely significant.

Having said that I regard the polls in general as completely useless and if I didn't know better I would say they are sponsored by the bookmakers as a way to sucker people into stupid bets.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    There were dome improvements for Labour and Milibnad in the internal questions though, that hasn't really happened before with Lord Ashcroft's polls.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Yet again, His Lordship publishes a LibDem figure at variance from what's in his tables. I make the LibDems on 7, like the Greens.

Have you seen this, Sunil?

Ashcroft

Lord Ashcroft commissions a regular weekly poll, carried out by other polling companies but on a “white label” basis. The methods are essentially those Populus used to use for their telephone polls, rather than the online methods Populus now use for their own regular polling. Ashcroft polls are weighted by standard demographics and by past vote, adjusted for false recall.

Ashcroft’s voting intention question has included UKIP in the main prompt since 2015. People who say they don’t know how they will vote are reallocated based on how they say they voted at the previous election, but at a different ratio to ICM (Ashcroft weights Conservatives and Labour down to 50%, Lib Dems down to 30%, others I think are ignored). In terms of likelihood to vote, Ashcroft weights people according to how likely they say they are to vote in similar way to ICM.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9281
  • Options
    If the mini-trend to the Tories is backed up by further polling, can't help but feel it is partly due to Mr Salmond. Was chatting to some colleagues today and there was definitely some concern about a Miliband government being under the thumb of the SNP
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Indeed.

• Options
    RobD said:

Moses_ said:

Indeed

Just wondering when that 10k 11/2 bet was put on ... Before or after this poll release.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    http://www.comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ITV-London_Election-Poll_March-2015.pdf

Com Res London Poll

North London: Con 40 Lab 38
    South London: Lab 42 Con 38
    West London: Lab 41 Con 37
    East London: Lab 54 Con 24
    Central: Lab 48 Con 36

White: Con 40 Lab 31
    Non White: Lab 68 Con 21

Home status

Home owner: Con 46 Lab 34
    Rent (LA): Lab 65, UKIP 16 Con 11
    Rent (Private): Lab 68, Con 17

The 55+ break clearly for Con, the under 45s for lab, the middle aged is just about labour, but close.
  • Options

If the mini-trend to the Tories is backed up by further polling, can't help but feel it is partly due to Mr Salmond. Was chatting to some colleagues today and there was definitely some concern about a Miliband government being under the thumb of the SNP

It's almost as if that's what Mr Salmond wanted to happen.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    With the four most recent telephone polls from each company, the Conservatives lead 35.3% to 33.7%.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Moses_ said:

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

Indeed

Just wondering when that 10k 11/2 bet was put on ... Before or after this poll release.
    Still some 8.2 on Betfair. A Con lead from YouGov tonight and it will trade sub 7.0, imo
  • Options
    There's a "Super-ELBOW" for all polls with field-work end-dates in March due in a few days. With just two days left, Labour are only 0.2% ahead, compared with 1.2% in February!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I can't believe I've reduced myself to such a level of geeky, autistic, obsessive, male dominated behaviour (which befits the vast majority of my comrades on pbCOM) but looking at the longer term trends of the polls shows the Tory doing significantly better using weekend samples.

Do these make these polls more accurate? I really don't know- perhaps Tories are more likely to be at home then, which sadly, means that perhaps they are more realistic than the weekly polls when Labour do better.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    chestnut said:

http://www.comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ITV-London_Election-Poll_March-2015.pdf

Com Res London Poll

North London: Con 40 Lab 38
    South London: Lab 42 Con 38
    West London: Lab 41 Con 37
    East London: Lab 54 Con 24
    Central: Lab 48 Con 36

White: Con 40 Lab 31
    Non White: Lab 68 Con 21

Home status

Home owner: Con 46 Lab 34
    Rent (LA): Lab 65, UKIP 16 Con 11
    Rent (Private): Lab 68, Con 17

The 55+ break clearly for Con, the under 45s for lab, the middle aged is just about labour, but close.

29% white not voting con or lab
    Only 11% non white
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Indeed, Mr. Eagles.

It was YouGov, of course, that had the best LD positions in 2010

• Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    YouGov at the weekend had a big fat sampling error that impacted their numbers. 20% plus of their sample had seen the TV interviews vs. only 5% in the real world.

They should have produced a set of numbers weighted by actual TV viewing which would have been far more realistic.

Non-viewers had the Tories 6 points ahead if memory serves.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I can't believe I've reduced myself to such a level of geeky, autistic, obsessive, male dominated behaviour (which befits the vast majority of my comrades on pbCOM) but looking at the longer term trends of the polls shows the Tory doing significantly better using weekend samples.

Do these make these polls more accurate? I really don't know- perhaps Tories are more likely to be at home then, which sadly, means that perhaps they are more realistic than the weekly polls when Labour do better.

Have you done the same experiment for Easter or school holidays?
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525

Do you use the published headline figure or the one from the tables when calculating the ELBOW?
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Ashcroft

Lord Ashcroft commissions a regular weekly poll, carried out by other polling companies but on a “white label” basis. The methods are essentially those Populus used to use for their telephone polls, rather than the online methods Populus now use for their own regular polling. Ashcroft polls are weighted by standard demographics and by past vote, adjusted for false recall.

Ashcroft’s voting intention question has included UKIP in the main prompt since 2015. People who say they don’t know how they will vote are reallocated based on how they say they voted at the previous election, but at a different ratio to ICM (Ashcroft weights Conservatives and Labour down to 50%, Lib Dems down to 30%, others I think are ignored). In terms of likelihood to vote, Ashcroft weights people according to how likely they say they are to vote in similar way to ICM.

Even adding only 30% of 18 DK/refused in 2010 still puts the LibDems on 6.6% (rounded = 7!)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    In the immortal words of OGH there appears to be an "interesting" seat movement in my ARSE tomorrow. :smile:
  • Options
    JackW said:

In the immortal words of OGH there appears to be an "interesting" seat movement in my ARSE tomorrow. :smile:

Surely not another debate bounce for Ed?
  • Options
    JackW said:

You don't sit on it, surely??
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    edited March 2015
    what would be particularly delicious is if Cameron manages to get an overall majority on May 7 and effectively go down in history as the man who destroyed the Liberals, destroyed Labour in Scotland, and put UK Labour out of power for a decade. Probably just a wet dream but you never know, if they have a 2-3% lead now, and a good campaign its doeable
  • Options
    Mr. W, with the fragmentation of seats, an overall majority (for either major party) isn't really needed. 300-310 would surely be enough, given Sinn Fein's absence, a few lost to the Speaker and his deputies, and the unlikelihood of the Conservatives/Labour agreeing with the SNP, UKIP, DUP, Plaid and the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    JackW said:

Con Hold Broxtowe ?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Absolutely!

See that the PB right-wing loons having a go at OGH for putting the 4% Labour lead into the headline. Lol.

You all have a choice, don't like OGH's threads, you can duly p*ss off from this blog.

OGH is the boss! Long live the boss!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FTPT
    Grandiose said:

Betting question.

Ladbrokes have UKIP @ 3.50 in the 5-10 % and @ 2.37 10-15%.

I want to even out my potential gain in the 5-15% band.

What ratio should I bet as between the two?

I know you've already answered this one yourself but for the viewer at home with decimal odds and only two options it's nice and simple - the ratio of money is exactly that of dividing one set of odds by the other.

Or even more intuitively you'd place £3.5 on 10-15% and £2.37 on 5-10%
  • Options
    hardpawnhardpawn Posts: 8
    Toxic Tories now at an 'impossible' 36% in 3 polls over the last few days. Amazing how even those commentators one would normally associate with balanced commentary displayed such a knee-jerk reaction to the single YouGov poll on Sat. night.

Half the over 50s I know would never use an online anything never mind a poll so I don't see how that could be more representative.

Anyone else smelling the coffee?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Saltire said:

Do you use the published headline figure or the one from the tables when calculating the ELBOW?
    Lab = 195 + (50% of 20 DK/refused) = 205
    Con = 206 + (50% of 20 DK/refused) = 216
    LD = 34 + (30% of 18 DK/refused) = 39

total sample = 573+10+10+5 = 598

Con = 36.1%, Lab = 34.3 %, LD = 6.5%
  • Options
    JackW said:

So Solid Poo?

:p
  • Options

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Con Hold Broxtowe ?
    I shall be firmly sitting on my ARSE until 9:00am. There will be no seepage until then.

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Con Hold Broxtowe ?
    How I would love that!
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    murali_s said:

Absolutely!

See that the PB right-wing loons having a go at OGH for putting the 4% Labour lead into the headline. Lol.

You all have a choice, don't like OGH's threads, you can duly p*ss off from this blog.

Particularly a Labour voting boss, eh ;)
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Con Hold Broxtowe ?
    How I would love that!
    I believe OGH has a soft spot for Soubry too.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Con Hold Broxtowe ?
    I shall be firmly sitting on my ARSE until 9:00am. There will be no seepage until then.

None of us want to see seepage. But can't you give us just a little sniff?
  • Options

Saltire said:

Lab = 195 + (50% of 20 DK/refused) = 205
    Con = 206 + (50% of 20 DK/refused) = 216
    LD = 34 + (30% of 18 DK/refused) = 39

total sample = 573+10+10+5 = 598

Con = 36.1%, Lab = 34.3 %, LD = 6.5%
    Using what I had assumed was 50% DK/refused for LDs, we get:

Con 35.9, Lab 34.1, LD 7.1
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Con Hold Broxtowe ?
    How I would love that!
    I believe OGH has a soft spot for Soubry too.
    She is an SDPer
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Mr. W, with the fragmentation of seats, an overall majority (for either major party) isn't really needed. 300-310 would surely be enough, given Sinn Fein's absence, a few lost to the Speaker and his deputies, and the unlikelihood of the Conservatives/Labour agreeing with the SNP, UKIP, DUP, Plaid and the Lib Dems.

In theory yes. However I minded to recall the last year of the Major government where he limped along in government but not actually governing whilst have lost his majority.

A minority government is fraught with dangers even if the allure of "governing" alone might at first sight appear appealing.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    hardpawn said:

Toxic Tories now at an 'impossible' 36% in 3 polls over the last few days. Amazing how even those commentators one would normally associate with balanced commentary displayed such a knee-jerk reaction to the single YouGov poll on Sat. night.

Half the over 50s I know would never use an online anything never mind a poll so I don't see how that could be more representative.

Feel free to pop over to betfair, where you'll get 7/1 on Con Maj.

I'll be laying the other side of that bet.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Con Hold Broxtowe ?
    How I would love that!
    Seconded
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    "Rent (Private): Lab 68, Con 17"

Tories = F***ed in London.
  • Options
    Pong said:

hardpawn said:

Have you just laid my 8.2 back out of interest :) ?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    saddo said:

YouGov at the weekend had a big fat sampling error that impacted their numbers. 20% plus of their sample had seen the TV interviews vs. only 5% in the real world.

They should have produced a set of numbers weighted by actual TV viewing which would have been far more realistic.

Non-viewers had the Tories 6 points ahead if memory serves.

I would ignore any debate-comissioned polls - their purpose is more to generate interesting headlines of the moment - most voters are in another place entirely.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Afternoon all and hurrah, OGH has given us a "Tories may not be entirely fcuked" thread. Tomorrow morning's ARSE will be very interesting.

Am I correct that LA's England only figures show a 2% swing to Labour in England rather than the 6.1% being trumpeted only 24 hours ago by Peter Kellner?

Have been looking across the polls. Of the 8 pollsters making up the SKY Poll of Polls in the top corner of the TV screen, currently 4 have Tories in the lead, 2 have Labour in the lead and 2 are tied.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

murali_s said:

Absolutely!

I'm voting for Vince Cable in Twickenham under a vote swap deal. The other party has not yet indicated how he would like to vote in Bedford.

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Assuming 10 seats 'lost' then 310 might work for Tories (LD coalition or tacit support?) Its probably the tories who have the key issue to put to the commons which is EU referendum. If that were voted down then most other parties would suffer in the subsequent general election. Could tories get their cuts and budgets through? Possibly if linked to tax cuts.
  • Options

Ashcroft

Even adding only 30% of 18 DK/refused in 2010 still puts the LibDems on 6.6% (rounded = 7!)
    Sure, but it's not that much of a stretch to get to below 6.5% - if e.g. the 18 DK/refused were actually 17.51 and the 34 definites were 33.51
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Con Hold Broxtowe ?

None of us want to see seepage. But can't you give us just a little sniff?
    If I allow you to exclusively sniff at my ARSE then all of PB will be craving for the electoral fragrance equivalent of Chanel No 5.

Sorry but it can't be done.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394

For the Conservatives in office, yes. For a Conservative government able to do blue-blooded things such as cut IHT and raise 40p threshold, profit making free schools etc. and an EU referendum guaranteed they need 315+ seats.

I think the DUP would play ball as long as they get cash, and a bedroom tax amendment. Their 9 MPs would carry the Tories to 324 seats, which would do the trick.
  • Options
    Mr. W, not sure I buy that comparison. Then, SNP were (I think) on single figures, Lib Dems were much lower (ok, that might be the same), not sure if Plaid had any seats, the Greens didn't, UKIP didn't really exist and Labour had tons of seats.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Generation Entitlement.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Generation Entitlement.
    Baby boomers = generation leech.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Generation Entitlement.
    Baby boomers = generation leech
    + generation VOTE.
  • Options

JohnO said:

murali_s said:

Absolutely!

I'm voting for Vince Cable in Twickenham under a vote swap deal. The other party has not yet indicated how he would like to vote in Bedford.

UKIP :D
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

hardpawn said:

Have you just laid my 8.2 back out of interest :) ?
    Probably either me or my bot.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

JohnO said:

murali_s said:

Absolutely!

Maybe he does not know who the candidates are - or maybe he is working out the order in which he is sending out the emails of his voting form.
  • Options
    @Tissue_Price

Pray for a Tory lead tonight :)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Generation Entitlement.
    + generation VOTE.
    So the Tories getting smashed in London, in areas they should be winning, is clearly not happening. I mean they retained Hammersmith and Fulham last year, oh you're saying they didn't...
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Lib Dem oblivion keeping Labour in the game right now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited March 2015
    JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Con Hold Broxtowe ?

So it's true - somebody has shoved you a bung?

• Options
    BenM said:

That's the huge danger for labour. That. There ^
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Been looking at most recent poll numbers for both main parties:
    ICM 36 Tories 35 Labour
    Populus 34 Tories 34 Labour
    Survation 32 Tories 33 Labour
    ComRes 36 Tories 32 Labour
    Opinium 34 Tories 33 Labour
    YouGov 32 Tories 36 Labour
    Ashcroft 36 Tories 34 Labour
    Ipsos Mori 33 Tories 34 Labour
    TNS 33 Tories 32 Labour
    Panelbase 34 Tories 34 Labour

So Tories have 3 x36, 3 x 34, 2 x 33 and 2 x 32
    Labour has 1 x 36, 1 x 35, 4 x 34, 2 x33 and 2 x 32

Of course things could change later this evening if the much hyped Sunday Times YouGov is not repeated given it is the only current score of 36 for Labour.

Wonder what people think about possibility of Tory vote exceeding the 2010 score and Labour falling below its 2010 score?
  • Options
    BenM said:

If Clegg does well and some of those Lib Dems go back it could be difficult for Labour.
  • Options

Mr. W, not sure I buy that comparison. Then, SNP were (I think) on single figures, Lib Dems were much lower (ok, that might be the same), not sure if Plaid had any seats, the Greens didn't, UKIP didn't really exist and Labour had tons of seats.

The greater fragmentation makes the situation very tricky.

The Saturday ARSE had Lab+SNP on 281 -well short whereas the only viable Con combination is with the LibDems at 342.

We shall await the morning ARSE to appraise developments.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2015
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Generation Entitlement.
    + generation VOTE.
    So the Tories getting smashed in London, in areas they should be winning, is clearly not happening. I mean they retained Hammersmith and Fulham last year, oh you're saying they didn't...
    No...I wasn't saying that at all...I was saying oldies absolutely do vote across the country, hence why politicians wont take an axe to their bribes, I mean perks.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Con Hold Broxtowe ?

My ARSE has not received any bung !! :worried:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Generation Entitlement.
    + generation VOTE.
    That loss had very little to do with 'rents'.

The borough is very divided between rich and poor; look to all the noise surrounding the spare room subsidy and the closure of local authority facilities in places like Sands End for reasons why Labour won.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766

JohnO said:

murali_s said:

Absolutely!

No part of your conscience is pricked by that?
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Con Hold Broxtowe ?

So you're just shameless in giving it a plug?

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Generation Entitlement.
    + generation VOTE.
    If you lived here then you would realise it does. Labour offered their ill thought out rent freeze just before then. The local Tories all thought they would scrape through and hold on but they got smashed to pieces.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Generation Entitlement.
    + generation VOTE.
    If you lived here then you would realise it does. Labour offered their ill thought out rent freeze just before then. The local Tories all thought they would scrape through and hold on but they got smashed to pieces.
    I did live there until a couple of years ago. Greg Hands was my local MP.

Traditionally it is a Labour held borough too, Cons only holding office for three terms, since 1964. And how can we forget the ill fated multi-million pound swaps losses under a previous Left administration. That was pure genius.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Con Hold Broxtowe ?

So you're just shameless in giving it a plug?

I'm sure Jack doesn't want to be the "butt" of any jokes :lol:
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Given the tories poor position in london a majority looks v unlikely, but a I suppose its possible Dave could be in a position where he gets to choose his coalition partner...ie DUP or Lib dems?

I wonder which way he would jump...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

JackW said:

JackW said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Con Hold Broxtowe ?

I think the correct terminology is 'plug' :)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Going well then...

@kiranstacey: EdM wanted anyone except EdB to be shadow chancellor. Considered Burnham - "but Andy can't do maths". By @PickardJE http://t.co/PDNQUulOYx

@PickardJE: Warning from Balls' ally: “If you remember what happened last time Ed tried to sideline him it didn’t work out well.” http://t.co/ZgQ9Y8DgNj
  • Options

Assuming 10 seats 'lost' then 310 might work for Tories (LD coalition or tacit support?) Its probably the tories who have the key issue to put to the commons which is EU referendum. If that were voted down then most other parties would suffer in the subsequent general election. Could tories get their cuts and budgets through? Possibly if linked to tax cuts.
    Is there really any chance the LDs can support Cameron this time? Cameron has stated categorically he will only be PM if we have an EU In/Out Referendum. Clegg (and any other LD leader is likely to be even more anti) says he won't play footsie with EU membership - which must translate to a line in the sand of no referendum ??
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I'm surprised that Salmond is such a bogey-man for English voters. I'd be horrified if we get Labour back so soon, but I'd rather Labour led by Salmond than Labour led by the Son of Brown.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Given the tories poor position in london a majority looks v unlikely, but a I suppose its possible Dave could be in a position where he gets to choose his coalition partner...ie DUP or Lib dems?

I wonder which way he would jump...

Depends which of them has most MP's I guess.... The Orange Minibus - or the Minibus of Orangmen?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @OliverCooper: ComRes: Conservatives up 1%
    Populus: Conservatives up 3%
    Ashcroft: Conservatives up 3%
    Tell me again how Miliband won the first debate.
  • Options

Is there really any chance the LDs can support Cameron this time? Cameron has stated categorically he will only be PM if we have an EU In/Out Referendum. Clegg (and any other LD leader is likely to be even more anti) says he won't play footsie with EU membership - which must translate to a line in the sand of no referendum ??
    If Clegg is still leader and the number stack up the LD will support a second coalition with the Tories. First, though, he's got to hold Hallam.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Depends which of them has most MP's I guess.

I think the DUP would be much more pliant than the libs.

A few quid and bob's your uncle.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Generation Entitlement.
    + generation VOTE.
    I did live there until a couple of years ago. Greg Hands was my local MP.

Traditionally it is a Labour held borough too, Cons only holding office for three terms, since 1964. And how can we forget the ill fated multi-million pound swaps losses under a previous Left administration. That was pure genius.
    Given demographic changes and gentrification H&F should have been an easy hold for the Tories, but Labour have recognised that a generation of renters is unhappy in centralish London. The Tories haven't and that is why they are not doing well with private renters in London.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

MaxPB said:

Generation Entitlement.
    Hardly surprising considering some private landlords rent out some properties to 10 or so single people when they should only be letting them to 3 or 4.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    JackW said:

In theory yes. However I minded to recall the last year of the Major government where he limped along in government but not actually governing whilst have lost his majority.

A minority government is fraught with dangers even if the allure of "governing" alone might at first sight appear appealing.

And when you have got 23 idiots who think that a government defeat is the ideal thing to achieve on the last day before an incredibly tight and unpredictable election you in practice need a lot more than that. I suspect Cameron would be quite keen to have the more reliable Lib Dems on board again. Unfortunately I don't think they will be so keen.
This discussion has been closed.