Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ICM finds voters totally split by Cameron’s third term anno

124»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,415

Has anyone told Cameron that it is PRIME MINISTER'S questions not the Leader of the Opposition's questions.He has had 5 years to learn this basic fact but he has failed.Today's disgraceful bullying and braying shows the true colours of the Tory Party.In Theresa May's language,' we are the nasty party at work.'

Hi Ed....
  • Options
    Patrick said:

If you vote Conservative then Clarkson, May and Hammond will co-present an amusing, non-PC, vaguely car based show on a commercial TV channel. You'll love it.

If you vote Labour then the BBC will deliver a new vegetarian Top Gear presented by Jo Brand, Judith Wanga and Gok Wan, with a range of topical and right-on racially sensitive activities suitable for the 21st century and full Health & Safety executive pre-approval. Deep joy.

The BBC need to re-vamp and have a carbon free Top Gear with only electric cars. Ideally driver less for safety reasons.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,655

If we're talking Star Trek and Top Gear then it's worth noting that they added a pointless dune buggy chase scene into the final Next Generation film because Patrick Stewart really likes driving...

Nemesis? That was set in space! (the one with Tom Hardy as Picard's younger clone)
    bleh....awful awful film.
    It's the worst Star Trek film ever (Star Trek V: The Final Frontier doesn't count as I'm repressing that one)
    Worst Star Trek film apart from the 2009 reboot!

*dons flame-proof suit*
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,037

If we're talking Star Trek and Top Gear then it's worth noting that they added a pointless dune buggy chase scene into the final Next Generation film because Patrick Stewart really likes driving...

Nemesis? That was set in space! (the one with Tom Hardy as Picard's younger clone)
    It's the worst Star Trek film ever (Star Trek V: The Final Frontier doesn't count as I'm repressing that one)

*dons flame-proof suit*
    I refuse to believe those films exist.
  • Options
    So which was the one with Picard's desert dune buggy?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,415

Patrick said:

If you vote Conservative then Clarkson, May and Hammond will co-present an amusing, non-PC, vaguely car based show on a commercial TV channel. You'll love it.

If you vote Labour then the BBC will deliver a new vegetarian Top Gear presented by Jo Brand, Judith Wanga and Gok Wan, with a range of topical and right-on racially sensitive activities suitable for the 21st century and full Health & Safety executive pre-approval. Deep joy.

The BBC need to re-vamp and have a carbon free Top Gear with only electric cars. Ideally driver less for safety reasons.
    Minus Clarkson...I think this will be about how it goes down....

http://partsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Smallest-Car-in-the-World_3.jpg
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The first Star Trek film is the worst. The best is Star Trek IV by a mile.
    Star Trek II is the best!
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The first Star Trek film is the worst. The best is Star Trek IV by a mile.
    The Wrath of Khan is the finest (Star Trek) movie of all time.

Anyone who disagrees well I can only assume they are yanking my chain
  • Options

As a non-viewer of Top Gear, what would be funny is:-
    1. BBC have to make cuts of £100m+ because of no Top Gear.
    2. A large boycott of the licence fee removes a further £100m+ of revenue leading to another £100m+ of cuts.

Now if only they hadn't pissed £150 million up the wall on the digital archive project.
    TBH though, although Top Gear is a big money spinner, the BBC revenue dwarfs it. I am sure they can find £100m in savings if they really try....Gary Linekers and others taxi's bills might be a good start.
    Watching them cut another £200m would be fun. But I agree it really needs to be closer to £1bn of cuts to force them out of being the dominant media broadcaster of news.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Roger said:

OT. I'm sure everyone knows Mark Knopfler has a new album 'Tracker'. He's been something of a hero since he turned down £1,000,000 to let the 'Local Hero' soundtrack be used for the Scottish Power film I shot 'because he didn't believe in Thatcher's privatizations'

Vive Newcastle Vivre Newcastle libre!!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/mark-knopfler-beryl

Fatcha! Either that, or he thought your commercial was rubbish.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2015
    I have never watched one minute of Star Trek in any format and don't know anyone who likes it
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255

Has anyone told Cameron that it is PRIME MINISTER'S questions not the Leader of the Opposition's questions.He has had 5 years to learn this basic fact but he has failed.Today's disgraceful bullying and braying shows the true colours of the Tory Party.In Theresa May's language,' we are the nasty party at work.'

Ed wanted a debate, he's shown there is no point as he doesn't answer questions
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited March 2015
    French Investigators: in-flight explosion ruled out, but terrorism not ruled out... Unsure whether plane was under pilot or autopilot control...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,037
    isam said:

I have never watched one minute of Star Trek in any format and don't know anyone who likes it

Your friends just don't admit it ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    You're all wrong, the worst Star Trek movie was Nemesis. Horrible. It did literally nothing right and to top it all off it had Janeway bossing Picard around.
  • Options
    woody662 said:

Ed wanted a debate, he's shown there is no point as he doesn't answer questions
    The Prime Minister is the one who's supposed to answer questions - it's PMQs!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    MikeK said:

The BBC have a new program called Reverse Gear, starring Cameron as Brakes, RedEd as Clutch, and Nick Clegg as Big End.

And Farage as road kill.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    Watcher

"Fatcha! Either that, or he thought your commercial was rubbish."

Couldn't he have thought both?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,053
    Mr. Betting, one is delighted the quality of writing robbed you of the power of speech.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054
    isam said:

"Shy trekkies" ;p
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

You're all wrong, the worst Star Trek movie was Nemesis. Horrible. It did literally nothing right and to top it all off it had Janeway bossing Picard around.

Nah. 2009 re-boot.
  • Options
    Nooooooo

Zayn has left One Direction.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Patrick said:

Bikes and scooters only.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jimwaterson: (For the baffled Westminster people asking, yes Zayn is leaving One Direction. No, your policy speech is not getting in the tabs tomorrow.)
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Really, we all know about Mr Knopfler?

Dire Straits members owned a country house a stone's throw from me called Offam Court. I haven't thought about him in a decade or more and only as an old neighbour. With a helicopter.
    Roger said:

OT. I'm sure everyone knows Mark Knopfler has a new album 'Tracker'. He's been something of a hero since he turned down £1,000,000 to let the 'Local Hero' soundtrack be used for the Scottish Power film I shot 'because he didn't believe in Thatcher's privatizations'

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,053
    Mr. Max, sounds like my decision to not watch Nemesis or the, er, other one (Insurrection?) has proved wise.

Wrath of Khan is the best Star Trek film. IV is also good, as is First Contact.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

I think this is the right link to the review of that film.
  • Options

Roger said:

Fatcha! Either that, or he thought your commercial was rubbish.
    I'm sincerely hoping the BBC have an evening of Braveheart, Highlander and Local Hero lined up for May 6th on their Scottish schedules.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266
    PeterC said:

JEO said:

Not sure the Tories aren't shooting themselves in the foot with all the anti-SNP, anti-Salmond, and therefore by extension, anti-Scottish rhetoric.

The party of the Union harping on about the Scottish MPs having a say in the make-up of the next UK Government?

I fear this plays into the wrong hands, and also risks pee'ing off what remaining Scots Tories there still are.

The SNP and Alex Salmond are very different from Scottishness. Criticizing one does not mean criticizing the other. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Scottish MPs having a say in the make-up of the UK government, but there is something very wrong with an anti-UK party having a say in the make-up of the UK government. Not least because they have an incentive in being destructive to the unity of the UK from the very top.
    Absolutely. If parliament is seriously deadlocked then Lab/Con would have to sink their differences in one guise or another so that Salmond is given no opportunity to work his mischief. There will be enough Labour MPs who will not vote themselves into the trap of becoming dependent on the SNP.

They don't like the thought of democracy in action do they, cannot have those uppity Scots being able to influence anything , they should know their place.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    The Trouble With Tribbles is iconic...
    isam said:

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    If UKIP can go into the debates on the 2nd April averaging 13% (slightly less than they currently are) then they'll be very happy, and it leaves room for a potential bounce should Farage perform.

Overall I'd expect a drop before polling day, the question being will the squeeze only affect their vote in Lab/Tory strongholds or the likes of Thurrock and South Thanet. I'd be interested to know how many constituencies they are fighting in the manner of by-elections as that appears to be the strategy in the winnable seats.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,482

Maybe his years of learning were when he *was* LotO and Gordon Brown consistently asked him questions, or told him which questions he should have asked.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    RR 64 Both Brown and Blair were prone to sling questions back at the LOTO
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Scott_P said:

@jimwaterson: (For the baffled Westminster people asking, yes Zayn is leaving One Direction. No, your policy speech is not getting in the tabs tomorrow.)

This is like the ultimate day to bury bad news... forget 9/11 (in bad taste I know)...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

PeterC said:

JEO said:

Not sure the Tories aren't shooting themselves in the foot with all the anti-SNP, anti-Salmond, and therefore by extension, anti-Scottish rhetoric.

The party of the Union harping on about the Scottish MPs having a say in the make-up of the next UK Government?

I fear this plays into the wrong hands, and also risks pee'ing off what remaining Scots Tories there still are.

The SNP and Alex Salmond are very different from Scottishness. Criticizing one does not mean criticizing the other. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Scottish MPs having a say in the make-up of the UK government, but there is something very wrong with an anti-UK party having a say in the make-up of the UK government. Not least because they have an incentive in being destructive to the unity of the UK from the very top.
    Absolutely. If parliament is seriously deadlocked then Lab/Con would have to sink their differences in one guise or another so that Salmond is given no opportunity to work his mischief. There will be enough Labour MPs who will not vote themselves into the trap of becoming dependent on the SNP.

They don't like the thought of democracy in action do they, cannot have those uppity Scots being able to influence anything , they should know their place.
    It's a horrifying thought https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7EOOOuYIoI
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

*dons flame-proof suit*
    Do Trekkies hate the ST reboot the way comic book nerds hate Gotham?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I notice that "Any Other Government/Coalition" is now 12.5/13 on Betfair.

Do I recall it being around 5.5 not that long ago (and being recommended on here as a good bet at that price)?

The odds have moved massively in favour of a Minority Government. Anyone doing anything formal with the SNP is out of the question so it's now down to the LDs or nobody. Nobody else will have enough seats to be worth having a formal coalition with.

In saying that you are assuming that the LibDems themselves will have sufficient seats to be worth forming a coalition with. The truth is that should they secure less than 10% of the UK vote, no one really knows how many of their seats they will be able to salvage. Will it be around the 30 mark which OGH and others have convinced themselves will be the case or will they be reduced to a small residual rump which in Martin Day speak would comfortably fit into three London taxi cabs?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Top 10 most read stories on BBC website should give us pause on here

4 out of 10 are Clarkson stories
    3 about the Germanwings crash
    1about a 2 year old girl in India doing archery (?!)
    ZERO about the election, VAT, Cameron, Miliband or indeed politics in any sense whatsoever.

Most people will not have noticed the "triumph" or "blunder" at PMQs.
    Most people will vote the way they were going to vote a month, a year or a decade ago.

The thing is - those top-10 stories get links on a prominent page - do you imagine that the BBC would publicise Ed's omnishambles today? I take them with a large dose of salt.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

PeterC said:

JEO said:

It's a horrifying thought https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7EOOOuYIoI
    The Scots have always had MPs, currently with devolution 59. So the notion that anybody wants people in Scotland not to have representation is a typically crass comment from malcolmg.

In fact without devolution I would be happy for them to have 79 (well any appropriately bigger number really) within the context of remote areas getting proportionately more than urban metropolitan ones like London and the Northern Powerhouse and Glasgow. Within that, say the far north of England could get proportionately more MPs, but within that region Newcastle fewer.
    Why? As a country we are heavily skewered to the South East (possibly the UK parliament should be elsewhere) and I believe in a similar vein to the senate in the USA some measure of political power should be distributed to the regions. In the USA it is the seaboards that contain economic and political power.

However we do have devolution and a single party regionally based scuppers all that in its own selfish demands for a balance of power, its MPs seeking to influence a country they want to destroy and issues which they cannot vote on in their own constituencies. If that's democracy I'm a banana.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,201

Afternoon all and has it been suggested officially that Jeremy Clarkson be the new Tory PPC for Dudley North yet?

No, but a job swap with Mr J. Murphy (Labour Party local branch, northern office) has been mooted:

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2015/03/13/top-knob/

• Options

Afternoon all and has it been suggested officially that Jeremy Clarkson be the new Tory PPC for Dudley North yet?

No, but a job swap with Jim Murphy has been mooted:

• Options

No, but a job swap with Mr J. Murphy (Labour Party local branch, northern office) has been mooted:

• Options

No, but a job swap with Jim Murphy has been mooted:

This discussion has been closed.