Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ICM finds voters totally split by Cameron’s third term anno

Comments

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    antifrank said:

felix said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Looks like Cameron has managed to bounce Balls into this new announcement #winwin.

@BBCNormanS: Labour say Ed Miliband did not rule out Nics rise cos PMQs "not right time" to make announcement
    Desperate stuff.

Statement of fact. Leader of the opposition asks the questions at PMQ, he does not answer them.

Meanwhile in the real world Ed gets totally rogered again. :):):)

I am sure he was. But it is a statement of fact that the LOTO does not answer questions at Prime Minister's Question Time.

The speaker should have intervened and stopped Cameron from asking questions.

It's one thing asking the Prime Minister about the present government's actions and plans, it's another asking him about a putative future government's actions and plans the other side of an election. At that point it would seem quite in order for the Prime Minister to respond in kind, especially when he's given a direct answer to the question posed to him.

If this is the level of gaming that Ed Miliband's team is up to, I fear for him in the debates.
    Well said.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,740

Dair said:

William Shatner ‏@WilliamShatner 4 mins4 minutes ago

Clarkson will be fine. Sponsors would be silly not to pick him up and establish a competitor show and the viewers will probably follow him.

Even Captain Kirk gets it.

Shatner's twitter is bizarre, he's 70 but seems to have the attitudes and interests of a 20 something hipster. He live tweets half the shows on The CW.

He must be more than 70.

84. http://io9.com/happy-84th-birthday-william-shatner-1692960948
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    RobD said:

Smarmeron said:

I wonder if they will launch Clarkson off the end of an aircraft carrier?
    Ahh, they will have a problem, unless they borrow the one parked in the Solent?

Didn't the HMS Queen Elizabeth launch last year?
    You would struggle launching anything without a catapult.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    antifrank said:

I don't think that pb has taken the news of Jeremy Clarkson's dismissal with sufficient gravity. The blog should now have a black border and be playing sombre martial music.

How about some Scorsese ?
    The BBC getting rid of its presenters:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGJkG5qo4r0
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036

RobD said:

Smarmeron said:

I wonder if they will launch Clarkson off the end of an aircraft carrier?
    Ahh, they will have a problem, unless they borrow the one parked in the Solent?

Didn't the HMS Queen Elizabeth launch last year?
    You would struggle launching anything without a catapult.
    Probably enough space to assemble a trebuchet.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited March 2015

Tim_B said:

Wether they could have avoided it or not, the BBC have just destroyed one of their few worldwide brands.

The only other being Doctor Who really.

BBC America has 4 episodes of Top Gear repeats today.

Kitchen Nightmares perhaps? Or the dreadful "Mud, Sweat and Gears" featuring a presenter from Fifth Gear.

What will become of The Stig, a Wilman creation? Presumably that's part of the Top Gear format.
    Kitchen Nightmares is Channel 4.
    BBC America content is not even predominantly BBC. It doesn't have most big BBC shows, it's content is split three ways - BBC second string shows, other UK shows (mainly ITV/C4) and original Co-Productions.

Some of the Co-Prods are fantastic - Orphan Black and Intruders for example.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,060
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Tyndall
    "Look Jeremy, this is your final final warning, after that, I am afraid we will have to give you a final warning"

And therein lies your problem. Nothing Clarkson did before this deserved a first warning let alone a final warning. This was of course of a different league.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,040
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Pulpstar said:

On topic, off topic - @Nigel4England Mentioned Jodie Kidd last night - his record on current events/reality betting is pretty good and she is 5-1 at Ladbrokes.

Chris Evans looks far too short at 2-5 seeing as he doesn't want the job and doesn't need the money. I don't think the format would work with him in charge either.

Presumably Tiff Needell and Chris Goffey are anxiously waiting by their phones.

Jodie Kidd isn't half a bad shout though. Can't get odds on my work computer - anything on Steve Coogan?
    10s with Paddy.
    Ta.

More I think about it, Jodie Kidd seems like a strong candidate. They'd need a new direction, couldn't just ape the show of old with some B-list Clarkson impersonator. Not that I watched it anyway, mind (though I claim a teeny bit of insight inasmuch as I'm from the same village as his Jeremy-ness, though lacking his exclusive education).

Or there's always Dion Dublin. He did nut someone once, but it was Robbie Savage - the most extenuating circumstance of all.

• Options
    Speedy said:

Just think, this site is called Political Betting, yet 40 days before a GE we are all wired up about a TV show, and so is the rest of the country.
    The shredding of Top Gear by the BBC has in effect shortened the GE campaign by quite a bit.

Perhaps more of a reflection of the British Pscyhe is that the Germanwings crash had pretty much dropped away after one day but I suspect Clarksongate will run at least through this weekend.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Dair said:

Clarkson will be fine. Sponsors would be silly not to pick him up and establish a competitor show and the viewers will probably follow him.

Shatner's twitter is bizarre, he's 70 but seems to have the attitudes and interests of a 20 something hipster. He live tweets half the shows on The CW.
    Not bizarre at all, Dair. You are in your what, 20's 30's anyway young? The truly bizarre thing is though young, you speak like an old man. Nothing hip about you; alas.

It's us ancients that get most out of life, because we usually live each day as if it was our last. Which it might easily be.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Isn't the obvious reply for Miliband to the NI question "if you want to ask me questions, come and debate me"? Not quite sure how he's managed to mess this up so much.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,053
    Ghedebrav said:

Pulpstar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Pulpstar said:

On topic, off topic - @Nigel4England Mentioned Jodie Kidd last night - his record on current events/reality betting is pretty good and she is 5-1 at Ladbrokes.

Chris Evans looks far too short at 2-5 seeing as he doesn't want the job and doesn't need the money. I don't think the format would work with him in charge either.

Jodie Kidd isn't half a bad shout though. Can't get odds on my work computer - anything on Steve Coogan?
    10s with Paddy.
    Ta.

More I think about it, Jodie Kidd seems like a strong candidate. They'd need a new direction, couldn't just ape the show of old with some B-list Clarkson impersonator. Not that I watched it anyway, mind (though I claim a teeny bit of insight inasmuch as I'm from the same village as his Jeremy-ness, though lacking his exclusive education).

Or there's always Dion Dublin.

I'll be honest I have no idea but Nigel4England is a decent tipster on current affairs. He's called various I'm a celebs/Big Brothers perfectly.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Exactly. For Mr Shatner fans -he's in Haven S5 in a couple of months

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    When I was a kid there was a deejay - whether on Luxemburg or Caroline I don't recall - called Tony Hall. His sign off lines was "That's it and that's all from yours sincerely Tony Hall."

The BBC cove isn't the same guy, is he?
  • Options
    ''She is already the most popular party leader UK-wide and she's only done two days of public relations in England so far.''

Err... yes?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    antifrank said:

If this is the level of gaming that Ed Miliband's team is up to, I fear for him in the debates.

I am reminded, again of TTOI, with Nicola Murray announcing her support for a Government policy while the government is simultaneously ending the policy.

She was better prepared, and more telegenic, and with fewer kitchens, than Ed
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    Dair said:

Speedy said:

Just think, this site is called Political Betting, yet 40 days before a GE we are all wired up about a TV show, and so is the rest of the country.
    The shredding of Top Gear by the BBC has in effect shortened the GE campaign by quite a bit.

Perhaps more of a reflection of the British Pscyhe is that the Germanwings crash had pretty much dropped away after one day but I suspect Clarksongate will run at least through this weekend.
    Compare coverage of massacre in Tunisia with that in France.
  • Options

Bottom line. I agree with you and Murali. Attacking someone probably should be a sackable offence unless there are real extenuating circumstances. But that is not the corporate world these days - at least not the one I seem to be working in. And the BBC could and should have found a way to handle it all better.

It's a good example of Capitalism subverting Progressivism.

The left-wing agenda of "it's not your fault" led to a propensity for Anger Management Courses, Social Intervention, Support and Understanding.

Then companies subverted this so they can keep anti-social but economically valuable employees which, by all measure they should sack but don't want to lose the revenue stream.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

When I was a kid there was a deejay - whether on Luxemburg or Caroline I don't recall - called Tony Hall. His sign off lines was "That's it and that's all from yours sincerely Tony Hall."

No.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Looks like Cameron has managed to bounce Balls into this new announcement #winwin.

@BBCNormanS: Labour say Ed Miliband did not rule out Nics rise cos PMQs "not right time" to make announcement
    Desperate stuff.

Statement of fact. Leader of the opposition asks the questions at PMQ, he does not answer them.

I am sure he was. But it is a statement of fact that the LOTO does not answer questions at Prime Minister's Question Time.

LOL - Is this OGH way of saying Cammo rogered Ed good n proper. :):):)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Top Gear: It's worse than that - it's dead, Jim.....

• Options
    That the BBC were covertly touting Chris Evans speaks volumes - WTF.

He knew better than that poison pass.

Top Gear: It's worse than that - it's dead, Jim.....

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Tyndall
    "Look Jeremy, this is your final final warning, after that, I am afraid we will have to give you a final warning"

And therein lies your problem. Nothing Clarkson did before this deserved a first warning let alone a final warning. This was of course of a different league.
    I don't even like Clarkson or Top Gear, but couldn't he have just apologised to the producer and bought him a drink? It's not as if he beat him to within an inch if his life is it? He's not been charged with assault has he?

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,959

felix said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Desperate stuff.

But that would have spoiled the fantastic pasting that your man received... ;)
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    edited March 2015
    Ghedebrav said:

Pulpstar said:

William Woollard is still alive and kicking.

I liked this from his Wiki entry:

"During his pieces to camera for Top Gear, Woollard was renowned for discussing a car's engine or performance whilst standing with one foot on the front bumper of the car and with its bonnet lifted. This iconic pose has gained a life of its own in the form of the international photographic craze known as Woollarding whereby members of the public take self-portraits with their own bonnet-up cars whilst standing with one leg on the front bumper. [10"

In some ways, WW was the prototype for Clarkson.

https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http://www.c1oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7110&ei=8dkSVfOZBo6vacC7gfgD&bvm=bv.89184060,d.d2s&psig=AFQjCNFYcMzM6xVr3vIlIIXJMd0IHZaHrA&ust=1427385157172789
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    DanSmith said:

Isn't the obvious reply for Miliband to the NI question "if you want to ask me questions, come and debate me"? Not quite sure how he's managed to mess this up so much.

That would have required thinking on his feet, which is not one of Ed's strong points.

Having made so much running in the past with the VAT meme, Ed was totally flummoxed with Cameron's reply, and it all went downhill from there.
  • Options

Speedy said:

felix said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Desperate stuff.

And spoilt the fun !!!
    Who cares about PM questions?
    Or about the GE?

This week is all about Top Gear this and Clarkson that.
    Getting equal billing with Clarkson at present
    Top Gear 'drives' the news :)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Dair said:

I was glad he stepped into the white hot Zack Ryder/Adam Rose twtiter feud to talk some sense into them.
  • Options
    If Betfair opens a market on it might lay Chris Evans tbh.
  • Options
    isam said:

Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Tyndall

I don't even like Clarkson or Top Gear, but couldn't he have just apologised to the producer and bought him a drink? It's not as if he beat him to within an inch if his life is it? He's not been charged with assault has he?

Apparently the police are looking into it on their own volition.
  • Options
    isam said:

Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Tyndall

It was reported that is what he tried to do and the producer said no (and of course he is perfectly entitled given what has occurred to do so).
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Ghedebrav said:

Pulpstar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Pulpstar said:

10s with Paddy.
    Ta.

Or there's always Dion Dublin. He did nut someone once, but it was Robbie Savage - the most extenuating circumstance of all.

But there's the catch 22. They need to change the format, but if they change it, then it's not Top Gear anymore, so whats the point.

They might as well make something which is different, but appeals to the same demographic, a demographic which isn't attracted to much on the BBC
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

antifrank said:

I don't think that pb has taken the news of Jeremy Clarkson's dismissal with sufficient gravity. The blog should now have a black border and be playing sombre martial music.

A nation weeps. Violent thug brought low by politically-correct leftist groupthink.

"Mr Blair said: “The deputy prime minister assaulting a member of the public, even one who slapped an egg on him, was at one level mind-boggling and grave. At another, it was mind-boggling and comic.

“I personally felt the thing was extraordinarily funny. The egg was funny. The mullet was funny. The left hook was funny."

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,052
    Good evening, and welcome to tonight's show.

Tonight!

Smithson posts a thread about why the Conservatives will lose.

Eagles gets some classical history horrifically wrong.

And Plato posts some pictures of a sweet pussy.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Pulpstar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Pulpstar said:

10s with Paddy.
    Ta.

Doubt you would make good BBC producer, even when it came to the steak sandwich. You forget or never knew that Clarkson was just some B list celebrity when he started the new Top Gear.
    If the BBC really do want a programme about motoring that is interesting then they will have to be just as inventive. It will not be easy since Clarkson himself went to the BBC to sell the show.
    Unlike most shows on TV, not just the BBC, TG has evolved and learned as it went along. The 'challenges' evolved as did the races between a car and public transport. Its road trips too evolved, perhaps topping out with Vietnam.
    As with anything though it was beginning to die on its feet. Its not a question of the BBC or Clarkson/ITV replicating it. It needs to evolve again.
    My money is on Dave (the TV Channel) snapping up Clarkson. It could be repeated then, 5 years later on BBC2
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited March 2015
    Dair said:

Bottom line. I agree with you and Murali. Attacking someone probably should be a sackable offence unless there are real extenuating circumstances. But that is not the corporate world these days - at least not the one I seem to be working in. And the BBC could and should have found a way to handle it all better.

It's a good example of Capitalism subverting Progressivism.

The left-wing agenda of "it's not your fault" led to a propensity for Anger Management Courses, Social Intervention, Support and Understanding.

Then companies subverted this so they can keep anti-social but economically valuable employees which, by all measure they should sack but don't want to lose the revenue stream.
    There is nothing ideological in this, if you think you can impose your tastes on other people, that's never going to happen.

In the entertainment industry the stars usually behave like schoolchildren, so if they do something silly or naughty you have to punish them like you are their teacher not as a death squad.
    I will repeat on what I would have done if I was in the BBC's place, I would cut Clarkson's salary+compensate the producer out of Clarkson's reduced salary+make him to wear a big hat with a D on and force him to sit in corner of the studio for the rest of the season.

Or to put it simply, a financial penalty and public humiliation for Clarkson and financial compensation for the victim with the show going on.
  • Options

Wether they could have avoided it or not, the BBC have just destroyed one of their few worldwide brands.

Sherlock?
    Strictly Come Dancing earns them megabucks.

Well the format rights.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

No.
    The other one contributed to Britain's rich cultural heritage by almost single handedly making "River deep, Mountain high" a big hit in the UK.

This one's cultural contribution seems to be less lofty.
  • Options
    more from Tony on punchy Prezza

"“I decided an apology at least might be in order to take the sting out of it, genuflect a little in the direction of the soft Southerners.”

Prescott refused to say sorry and Blair decided to neither condone it or condemn it coming up with the line “John is John, really. Nothing more you can say.”"

• Options

Sherlock?

Well the format rights.
    SCD is remade in other countries, so yes as a brand, but not directly.

and Sherlock is what, 3 shows every 2 years it seems like?
  • Options
    You really should follow George Takei on Twitter.

The man's a legend.
  • Options
    LOL

I'm currently indulging in dozens of hours of US TV on Pick/Tru TV channels. I've watched far too many progs about difficult dogs, forensic crimes and embarrassing tattoos.

I feel I've developed an addiction to them. I will be watching Container Wars later...

Good evening, and welcome to tonight's show.

Tonight!

Smithson posts a thread about why the Conservatives will lose.

Eagles gets some classical history horrifically wrong.

And Plato posts some pictures of a sweet pussy.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465

And that's the point. Top Gear has suffered a fatal blow. It's not dead yet but it soon will be.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TGOHF
    Belting someone who has just hit you with something, is pretty much accepted, arguing with them for twenty minutes beforehand is a little more suspect.
  • Options
    we're never going to get that Mclaren/Porsche/La Ferrari showdown now are we....
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

A nation weeps. Violent thug brought low by politically-correct leftist groupthink.

"Mr Blair said: “The deputy prime minister assaulting a member of the public, even one who slapped an egg on him, was at one level mind-boggling and grave. At another, it was mind-boggling and comic.

“I personally felt the thing was extraordinarily funny. The egg was funny. The mullet was funny. The left hook was funny."

I'm trying to work out why he has been brought in to Ed's election team as a "climate change adviser". Surely that would be a better gig for someone with y'know a vague background in science - trying to get the popular vaguely Labour pop-scientist Brian Cox onboard would have been worth a go !

Ed does appear to have a small tent at times.
  • Options

Sherlock?

Well the format rights.

The yanks have taken Sherlock and made "Elementary" - which is about 10 times better and has treble the number of episodes.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,325
    I notice that "Any Other Government/Coalition" is now 12.5/13 on Betfair.

Do I recall it being around 5.5 not that long ago (and being recommended on here as a good bet at that price)?

The odds have moved massively in favour of a Minority Government. Anyone doing anything formal with the SNP is out of the question so it's now down to the LDs or nobody. Nobody else will have enough seats to be worth having a formal coalition with.
  • Options

we're never going to get that Mclaren/Porsche/La Ferrari showdown now are we....

Nope. Or Top Gear's return to Argentina
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Afternoon all and has it been suggested officially that Jeremy Clarkson be the new Tory PPC for Dudley North yet?
  • Options

D:
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,740
    TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

Prescott was attacked and reacted probably without thinking, a bit different from what happened with Clarkson apparently.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Do I recall it being around 5.5 not that long ago (and being recommended on here as a good bet at that price)?

The odds have moved massively in favour of a Minority Government. Anyone doing anything formal with the SNP is out of the question so it's now down to the LDs or nobody. Nobody else will have enough seats to be worth having a formal coalition with.

I disagreed with Mike's article and posted at the time why I thought it was poor value after confirming with NI expert Neil what the chances of an SDLP ministry were.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TGOHF
    Belting someone who has just hit you with something, is pretty much accepted, arguing with them for twenty minutes beforehand is a little more suspect.

Either way your hero laughed about it - long and hard. But when a friend of Cameron hits someone - its's tut tut zero tolerance.

Lefty hypocrisy.

• Options
    A while ago, I had a funeral director as my next door neighbour. His trade has an expression of Not Yet Dead [NYD], it refers to those expected to shuffle off their mortal coil within a few hours = to ready the hearse and top hat.

Top Gear is in this phase this afternoon.

And that's the point. Top Gear has suffered a fatal blow. It's not dead yet but it soon will be.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,052
    Mr. Slackbladder, BBC has stated Top Gear will continue, though May and Hammond's presence is uncertain.

Although, those three cars and their showdown may follow Clarkson, if he makes a rival programme.
  • Options
    Regarding the plane crash, they have successfully downloaded data from the cockpit voice recorder.

They have also found the case of the flight data recorder. Just the case - the contents are still missing.
  • Options

antifrank said:

LOL.....

TBH, given the other news about, it is rather minor. The BBC will try to continue with Top Gear and Clarkson will sign with somebody else...now in other news I believe there might be a General Election or something coming up.
    Well on a day when Ed Miliband was publicly defenestrated then hung drawn and quartered and his sundry parts cooked to a crisp in each of his 4 kitchens before being fed to Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmond with pink champagne over a cosy supper, then yes you could argue this business is minuscule down to the quantum level.
    A godsend for Ed.
  • Options
    Elementary is excellent. Lucy Liu as Watson is super casting. Ditto Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock.

I didn't like the casting of Mycroft - greasy. Sebastian LaRoche would've been epic.
    TGOHF said:

Sherlock?

Well the format rights.

The yanks have taken Sherlock and made "Elementary" - which is about 10 times better and has treble the number of episodes.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    North Yorks Police ask BBC for their report into Clarkson, with a view to taking action "where necessary"...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

I disagreed with Mike's article and posted at the time why I thought it was poor value after confirming with NI expert Neil what the chances of an SDLP ministry were.
    I don't think anyone would ever go into coalition with a party which has only 3 seats.

The whole point of entering coalition in the first place is to create a stable Government. 3 seats is never going to be enough to make the difference in creating a stable Government.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    If we're talking Star Trek and Top Gear then it's worth noting that they added a pointless dune buggy chase scene into the final Next Generation film because Patrick Stewart really likes driving...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Survation. ‏@Survation · 53s53 seconds ago
    NEW: Survation/@DailyMirror (chg vs 24/02) LAB 33% -1 CON 32% +3 UKIP 18% -1 LD 8% -1 GRE 4% nc SNP 4% nc AP 1% nc

• Options
    James May @MrJamesMay 2h 2 hours ago.

Reporters outside my house: if you're going to hang around on small streets with your car engines idling all day, don't buy a bloody diesel.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

NEW: Survation/@DailyMirror (chg vs 24/02) LAB 33% -1 CON 32% +3 UKIP 18% -1 LD 8% -1 GRE 4% nc SNP 4% nc AP 1% nc

Blue tide incoming? ;)
  • Options
    All merry go around in the dead tree press today.

Tim Walker (formerly of the Telegraph) is off to the Mirror, and Simon Heffer has left the Mail.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

I don't think anyone would ever go into coalition with a party which has only 3 seats.

The whole point of entering coalition in the first place is to create a stable Government. 3 seats is never going to be enough to make the difference in creating a stable Government.
    which is why the rainbow coalition was/is a non-starter.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

TGOHF said:

antifrank said:

Prescott was attacked
    He was hit by a flying egg.

What a wimp.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

To all intents and purposes, SDLP are Labour MPs...
  • Options
    If you vote Conservative then Clarkson, May and Hammond will co-present an amusing, non-PC, vaguely car based show on a commercial TV channel. You'll love it.

If you vote Labour then the BBC will deliver a new vegetarian Top Gear presented by Jo Brand, Judith Wanga and Gok Wan, with a range of topical and right-on racially sensitive activities suitable for the 21st century and full Health & Safety executive pre-approval. Deep joy.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653
    antifrank said:

Huh? Another Survation poll?
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: My review of what cd hv been Cameron's last #PMQs but was more likely to be EdM's @IndyVoices http://t.co/HakiyVr9wb http://t.co/9869qBWQyf
  • Options
    @TheTimWalker is very funny on Twitter.

The DT has lost its way. I only visit for Animal Pix of the Week and Matt.

All merry go around in the dead tree press today.

Tim Walker (formerly of the Telegraph) is off to the Mirror, and Simon Heffer has left the Mail.

• Options
    Of interest to those betting on next PM/minority government

@neiledwardlovat: @JohnRentoul I battered this together just before lunch. http://t.co/EOIsLx2Ee8
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Is this a new poll?

Jason Beattie @JBeattieMirror
    Poll for @DailyMirror by @Survation has Lab 33 (-1) Con 32 (+3) UKIP 18 (-1) LD 8 (-1) and Greens SNP unchanged on 4.
  • Options

If we're talking Star Trek and Top Gear then it's worth noting that they added a pointless dune buggy chase scene into the final Next Generation film because Patrick Stewart really likes driving...

Nemesis? That was set in space! (the one with Tom Hardy as Picard's younger clone)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    antifrank said:

Survation report changes to 1 dp so headline figures don't reconcile.

The last Survation/Mirror was 34/28 - so on headline basis it's Lab -1, Con +4.

After a bad patch a few days ago this is turning into a good polling day for Con.
  • Options
    Was JL Pickard sick of wheelchair speed?

Nemesis? That was set in space! (the one with Tom Hardy as Picard's younger clone)
  • Options

Good evening, and welcome to tonight's show. Tonight!..................And Plato posts some pictures of a sweet pussy.

speechless.
  • Options
    LAB 34% (+3) CON 28% (-3) UKIP 19% (-4) LD 10% (+3) SNP 4% (NC) GRE 4% (+1) AP 1% (NC)

The last 6% Labour lead was incredible.

Add 2 to the Con score as it's Survation.
  • Options
    French Accident Investigators say basically nothing about the contents of the CVR...
  • Options

bleh....awful awful film.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

LAB 34% (+3) CON 28% (-3) UKIP 19% (-4) LD 10% (+3) SNP 4% (NC) GRE 4% (+1) AP 1% (NC)

This was the previous poll, right?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

James May just said that he felt the three of them were a package, and that although Clarkson is a knob, he quite likes him.

In light of the fact that all three presenters are about to come to the end of their present contracts with the BBC, that’s a very interesting comment by James May.
    Both May and Hammond stopped contract negotiations when Clarkson was suspended. I hope they will all leap together and pop up in a new home.
    On the other hand they might ponder and realise that Cameron is right and that in running for a third term there lies madness. Maybe they should try and avoid that old adage 'all television presenter careers end in tears' and live a happy low profile life.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Of interest to those betting on next PM/minority government

@neiledwardlovat: @JohnRentoul I battered this together just before lunch. http://t.co/EOIsLx2Ee8

Add Plaid seats to that at the least imo.
  • Options
    As a non-viewer of Top Gear, what would be funny is:-
    1. BBC have to make cuts of £100m+ because of no Top Gear.
    2. A large boycott of the licence fee removes a further £100m+ of revenue leading to another £100m+ of cuts.
  • Options
    Someone needs to tell Number Cruncher about The Times / YouGov poll - he seems to have missed it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

This was the previous poll, right?
    Yep, low side outlier for CONs pretty much confirmed.
  • Options
    The last Survation poll (21st March) was for the Mail on Sunday.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,465

Sherlock?

Well the format rights.

And Sherlock is also a brand powerful enough to transcend any particular producer. The Beeb have made an inspired adaptation of that brand but it's one that's been interpreted many times before and will no doubt be done many times again. Put simply, it might be their show but it's not their brand.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

As a non-viewer of Top Gear, what would be funny is:-
    1. BBC have to make cuts of £100m+ because of no Top Gear.
    2. A large boycott of the licence fee removes a further £100m+ of revenue leading to another £100m+ of cuts.

Now if only they hadn't pissed £150 million up the wall on the digital archive project.

TBH though, although Top Gear is a big money spinner, the BBC revenue dwarfs it. I am sure they can find £100m in savings if they really try....Gary Linekers and others taxi's bills might be a good start.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The BBC have a new program called Reverse Gear, starring Cameron as Brakes, RedEd as Clutch, and Nick Clegg as Big End.
  • Options

It's the worst Star Trek film ever (Star Trek V: The Final Frontier doesn't count as I'm repressing that one)
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Top 10 most read stories on BBC website should give us pause on here

4 out of 10 are Clarkson stories
    3 about the Germanwings crash
    1about a 2 year old girl in India doing archery (?!)
    ZERO about the election, VAT, Cameron, Miliband or indeed politics in any sense whatsoever.

Most people will not have noticed the "triumph" or "blunder" at PMQs.
    Most people will vote the way they were going to vote a month, a year or a decade ago.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    edited March 2015
    OT. I'm sure everyone knows Mark Knopfler has a new album 'Tracker'. He's been something of a hero since he turned down £1,000,000 to let the 'Local Hero' soundtrack be used for the Scottish Power film I shot 'because he didn't believe in Thatcher's privatizations'

Vive Newcastle Vivre Newcastle libre!!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/mark-knopfler-beryl
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited March 2015
    The Survation is good for the UKIP average anyway.
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    Has anyone told Cameron that it is PRIME MINISTER'S questions not the Leader of the Opposition's questions.He has had 5 years to learn this basic fact but he has failed.Today's disgraceful bullying and braying shows the true colours of the Tory Party.In Theresa May's language,' we are the nasty party at work.'
  • Options
    Survation most likely has the UKIP score way too high but they should still be included in poll of polls. Differing methodologies prevent herding.
  • Options

It's the worst Star Trek film ever (Star Trek V: The Final Frontier doesn't count as I'm repressing that one)

No. The 'new' Star Trek 2 has that prize sewn up
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The first Star Trek film is the worst. The best is Star Trek IV by a mile.
This discussion has been closed.