Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Three years after being touted as Iron Lady 2.0 Liz Truss (

13»

Comments

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Ok - bored with being Labour!

Back to CON!

Boo to Miliband (apart from Justine)

Go Gove!

CON to win some seats!
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

JEO said:

notme said:

MP_SE said:

My 'money' as I said is on Priti Patel, because it will be like a Thatcher situation, as narrated by Alan Clarke - in the first round, he went around telling everyone they had to vote for her because it would look awful for the party if a woman didn't get any votes, and they'd never get rid of Heath if he won by too much. So Thatcher got loads of votes and everyone suddenly started talking about how good she would be. Same situation if Priti Patel stands - she can't get no votes, so she might get an unexpectedly high crop in round one, and then fire ahead.

Priti Patel is a fake eurosceptic. Her voting record speaks for itself. She doesn't even come close to Thatcher's level.
    Thatcher was eurosceptic? She was part of the government that joined the EC, she campaigned to remain in the EC at a referendum, in1986 she set the blueprint for the Single European Act, and entered the ERM in 1990.
    Thatcher was supportive of a European Community but opposed to a European Union. That was exactly the right position at the time, and is exactly the right position now. David Cameron is entirely right in wanting to renegotiate our relationship so we can return back to a flexible community, as Thatcher wanted.
    Thatcher also encouraged the Eastward expansion of the EU, to make integration harder.
    That's right. Her big mistake was not to realize how great the immigration flows from that Eastward expansion would be. I have no issue with Eastern European migrants, but any immigration surge that large was always going to lead to social unrest. Had we negotiated much stronger transitional controls (perhaps extended until they reached 80% of our GDP per capita level), we would not be facing the UKIP threat right now.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

If you want to know what UKIP are going to be like, you should have listened to the cake debacle in Northern Ireland. I don't believe in gay "marriage" per say as it is and always will be between a man and a woman, but we live in different times..

I think that if I lived amongst the Northern Ireland bigots, I think I'd vote for gay marriage just because these bigots are so appalling.

Vote UKIP.. you have been warned.... they say they won't but you know they will.

Same with the tories on VAT ;-)

Go 22.5% VAT! And cut the top rate of tax!!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052

Boris is the only Tory I wish was a Labour man- he is unique.

Exactly, proven track record in labour heartlands

If they don't pick him it is utter madness... People don't buy that bullingdon eton rubbish, we aren't all inverse snobs. He is a winner and is good fun, liked by rich and poor in the most diverse city in the uk.. Should be odds on

@Isam

I said that Boris has an ability to transcend Bullingdon because of his personality.

I am certainly not an inverse snob, but I utterly despise, loathe and detest the fact that a handful of elitist (high cost) schools dominate the highest jobs (and now theatrical roles) in the UK. It is a great shame on the UK.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

If you want to know what UKIP are going to be like, you should have listened to the cake debacle in Northern Ireland. I don't believe in gay "marriage" per say as it is and always will be between a man and a woman, but we live in different times..

I think that if I lived amongst the Northern Ireland bigots, I think I'd vote for gay marriage just because these bigots are so appalling.

Vote UKIP.. you have been warned.... they say they won't but you know they will.

Hmmm. every party would have raised VAT after 2010 whomever had been elected.. UKIP are really dangerous.. vat is just a pain in the neck.. there is a difference.
    isam said:

Isam , you cant help yourself, you restrict what you really want to say, but its there for those who understand. your party is really dangerous, and people need to know how dangerous it is.

Haha what a load of nonsense! I don't restrict what I say in the slightest

It's dangerous to lemmings like you who would vote for anyone in a blue rosette I suppose
    Well you do, because you cant say what you really think or you'd get banned, its there for those who read nbetwen the lines..Actually, I'd vote for any party that would stop UKIP. in my constituency its a blue vote but I think if it was UKIP or Labour , I'd vote Labour just to keep the racists out.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,061
    JEO said:

notme said:

MP_SE said:

My 'money' as I said is on Priti Patel, because it will be like a Thatcher situation, as narrated by Alan Clarke - in the first round, he went around telling everyone they had to vote for her because it would look awful for the party if a woman didn't get any votes, and they'd never get rid of Heath if he won by too much. So Thatcher got loads of votes and everyone suddenly started talking about how good she would be. Same situation if Priti Patel stands - she can't get no votes, so she might get an unexpectedly high crop in round one, and then fire ahead.

Priti Patel is a fake eurosceptic. Her voting record speaks for itself. She doesn't even come close to Thatcher's level.
    Thatcher was eurosceptic? She was part of the government that joined the EC, she campaigned to remain in the EC at a referendum, in1986 she set the blueprint for the Single European Act, and entered the ERM in 1990.
    Thatcher was supportive of a European Community but opposed to a European Union. That was exactly the right position at the time, and is exactly the right position now. David Cameron is entirely right in wanting to renegotiate our relationship so we can return back to a flexible community, as Thatcher wanted.
    So the bottom line is they were/are both too thick to understand the basic principles that the EEC/EU were founded upon. Not exactly the greatest advert for them is it?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2015

Hmmm. every party would have raised VAT after 2010 whomever had been elected.. UKIP are really dangerous.. vat is just a pain in the neck.. there is a difference.
    isam said:

Isam , you cant help yourself, you restrict what you really want to say, but its there for those who understand. your party is really dangerous, and people need to know how dangerous it is.

It's dangerous to lemmings like you who would vote for anyone in a blue rosette I suppose
    Well you do, because you cant say what you really think or you'd get banned, its there for those who read nbetwen the lines..Actually, I'd vote for any party that would stop UKIP. in my constituency its a blue vote but I think if it was UKIP or Labour , I'd vote Labour just to keep the racists out.
    Do what you like!

I dont restrict what I say at all. Your cowardly insinuations are as pathetic as your posts imply you are

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Do what you like!

I done restrict what I say at all. Your cowardly insinuations are as pathetic as your posts imply you are

Squareroot never did strike me as one of the sharpest tools in the box.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Exactly, proven track record in labour heartlands

If they don't pick him it is utter madness... People don't buy that bullingdon eton rubbish, we aren't all inverse snobs. He is a winner and is good fun, liked by rich and poor in the most diverse city in the uk.. Should be odds on

@Isam

I said that Boris has an ability to transcend Bullingdon because of his personality.

I am certainly not an inverse snob, but I utterly despise, loathe and detest the fact that a handful of elitist (high cost) schools dominate the highest jobs (and now theatrical roles) in the UK. It is a great shame on the UK.

Yes I was agreeing with you
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516

MP_SE said:

Nick Sutton ✔ @suttonnick

Tuesday's Sun front page:
    We've gotcha backs - Exclusive: Argie invasion fears
    #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/BoVYJjlP6Y

A nuclear sub off the coast of the Falklands would deter any threats of invasion.
    It seems we are sending more troops.
    Do we have any to send? We have a lot fewer of everything than we had in '82, carriers, harriers, choppers, transport shipping and boots to put on the ground etc..

Apart from which, the Argentinian armed forces have been deliberately defenestrated to stop any attempt at having another coup and a junta installed. Sure, Elle Presidente looks like she is going nuts but I seem to remember that there is a GE due.

There are probably a few headbangers in the administration who believe that an attack on the Malvinas while the UK is in the middle of a GE and has a seriously weak military is going to be successful at diverting attention away from their government's troubles, but I can't see their military being too happy about being used as cannon fodder.
  • Options
    I'm assuming this is a typo/auto-correct blunder, if not, you have to admire Adam Boulton's directness

https://twitter.com/adamboultonSKY/status/580139865263734784
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Sen. Ted Cruz made it official today - he is running for POTUS next year.

Unfortunately he made the announcement at Liberty University, founded by Jerry Falwell, which bills itself as the largest 'christian' university in the world.

So very conservative combined with very christian - doesn't sound like much a a unifying candidate designed to broaden the Republican appeal.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Do what you like!

I done restrict what I say at all. Your cowardly insinuations are as pathetic as your posts imply you are

Seems like he knows the square root of sod all... I've been banned too many times for anyone to think I restrict what I say to put across a Fake persona!
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    SeanT said:

notme said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Newsnight see Camerons comment as massive OG

They're exaggerating massively. Who really cares?

It is arguably a blunder, but it is very modest, and will soon be forgotten as serious issues arise.

Alistair Campbell suddenly looks very haggard and old and ruined. It's like the Picture of Dorian Gray.

Compared to Gove who cannot stop digging deeper.
    Yawn. Yeah. Whatev.

Look at Campbell tho. Jeez. Suddenly he looks 60 rather than 40. He looks deeply, deeply haunted.
    Well he is 57 :)
    But he didn't look it, until now. Plus he looks BAD for 57, whereas before he looked good for 52 or whatever.

In all sincerity I wonder if Iraq haunts him. Surely it must. He's a smart guy and his diaries were brilliant, he is perceptive - and prone to depression.
    Ive noticed that age can suddenly catch up with some people. In what can be less than a couple of years people can start to look really really old.
    Yes. George Clooney (who must be painfully aware of the implications of ageing) has said that there are years when you "suddenly age a decade". I think that's right.

However I also think that psychological and emotional stress, especially guilt and self hatred, can seriously catch up with you. I suspect that is what has happened with Campbell and Blair, who once looked unusually young and virile for their years, and now, abruptly, look oddly old and haunted.
    Hopefully they have some conscience about Dr David Kelly, or not.
  • Options

JEO said:

notme said:

MP_SE said:

So the bottom line is they were/are both too thick to understand the basic principles that the EEC/EU were founded upon. Not exactly the greatest advert for them is it?
    The principles announced by the more extreme pro-Europeans do not matter. What matters is what is negotiated in treaties. Had either Margaret Thatcher or David Cameron been in office at the time, Maastricht and Lisbon would not have been signed. (Although, for all his faults, John Major deserves credit for at least negotiating the single currency opt out.)
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

I'm assuming this is a typo/auto-correct blunder, if not, you have to admire Adam Boulton's directness

https://twitter.com/adamboultonSKY/status/580139865263734784

I was told there is no such thing as a boring wank :)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

isam said:

isam said:

Do what you like!

Tyndall.. ISAM with added invective.

UKIP are a racist party,

Goodnight
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

JEO said:

notme said:

MP_SE said:

As a continental euro-fanatic said, the Lisbon Treaty was written such that nobody could understand it.

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

Do what you like!

UKIP are a racist party,

Goodnight
    LOL. And you are very very dumb. I suppose if both those statements were true then there is at least hope for UKIP that they might cast off whatever spurious racism you see in them. You on the other hand will undoubtedly remain dumb whatever happens.

Goodnight to you too.
  • Options
    JEO said:

JEO said:

notme said:

MP_SE said:

The principles announced by the more extreme pro-Europeans do not matter. What matters is what is negotiated in treaties. Had either Margaret Thatcher or David Cameron been in office at the time, Maastricht and Lisbon would not have been signed. (Although, for all his faults, John Major deserves credit for at least negotiating the single currency opt out.)
    It has nothing to do with the pronouncements of the 'more extreme pro-Europeans' It is written into the treaties. That is why the Thatcher/Cameron position is so stupid. It flies in the face of the treaties that we have already signed up to long ago.

Most of which were signed on behalf of the UK by Tory administrations.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Do what you like!

UKIP are a racist party,

Goodnight
    Haha keep taking the tablets

Bad dreams x
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,182
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

With your "horribly white high street" comments and your "I am a millionaire but I despise smart cars" comments YOU are the WORST kind of self regarding, upper middle class lefty SNOB. You ooze snobbery. It's what you do. You sneer, yet you think your sneering is justified because it is aimed at white British people - poor or rich. You perpetuate what you purport to despise.

You are quite repulsive. Sorry. I hope your Italian lunch "near Firenze" went well.
    I think you missed Tyson's thoughts last week on Rotherham being massively exaggerated, Fred Talbot being a great bloke who's been hard done by and there being no need to investigate Cyril Smith.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    JEO said:

JEO said:

notme said:

MP_SE said:

Thatcher also encouraged the Eastward expansion of the EU, to make integration harder.
    That's right. Her big mistake was not to realize how great the immigration flows from that Eastward expansion would be. I have no issue with Eastern European migrants, but any immigration surge that large was always going to lead to social unrest. Had we negotiated much stronger transitional controls (perhaps extended until they reached 80% of our GDP per capita level), we would not be facing the UKIP threat right now.
    New members to the EU must be accepted by all existing members. A far sighted (and brave) British government could have insisted on strong restrictions on all EU migration before approving any new member.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    FalseFlag said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

It is arguably a blunder, but it is very modest, and will soon be forgotten as serious issues arise.

Alistair Campbell suddenly looks very haggard and old and ruined. It's like the Picture of Dorian Gray.

Yawn. Yeah. Whatev.

Look at Campbell tho. Jeez. Suddenly he looks 60 rather than 40. He looks deeply, deeply haunted.
    But he didn't look it, until now. Plus he looks BAD for 57, whereas before he looked good for 52 or whatever.

In all sincerity I wonder if Iraq haunts him. Surely it must. He's a smart guy and his diaries were brilliant, he is perceptive - and prone to depression.
    Ive noticed that age can suddenly catch up with some people. In what can be less than a couple of years people can start to look really really old.
    Yes. George Clooney (who must be painfully aware of the implications of ageing) has said that there are years when you "suddenly age a decade". I think that's right.

However I also think that psychological and emotional stress, especially guilt and self hatred, can seriously catch up with you. I suspect that is what has happened with Campbell and Blair, who once looked unusually young and virile for their years, and now, abruptly, look oddly old and haunted.
    If Campell had any shame he would not appear in public. I hope Chilcot ends his career as a political pundit.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Some people are less bigoted than they think. I had two Lab/Kipper waverers the other day who pressed me on gay marriage. I said I felt that churches who were happy with it like the Quakers should be allowed to celebrate it, and churches that weren't shouldn't be forced to. They looked at each other, pondered, and said yeah, actually that seems reasonable enough. One of the very, very rare cases where I've ever changed anyone's mind on a doorstep. We didn't get into the technicalities of registration.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Do what you like!

UKIP are a racist party,

Goodnight
    On the day that a Conservative candidate had to resign for scheming to provoke racial trouble for his own benefit.

Hmmm...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

isam said:

isam said:

Do what you like!

UKIP are a racist party,

Goodnight
    On the day that a Conservative candidate had to resign for scheming to provoke racial trouble for his own benefit.

Hmmm...
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking- told by that famous UKIP leader some time back.
  • Options

Some people are less bigoted than they think. I had two Lab/Kipper waverers the other day who pressed me on gay marriage. I said I felt that churches who were happy with it like the Quakers should be allowed to celebrate it, and churches that weren't shouldn't be forced to. They looked at each other, pondered, and said yeah, actually that seems reasonable enough. One of the very, very rare cases where I've ever changed anyone's mind on a doorstep. We didn't get into the technicalities of registration.
    The bad thing about the NI gay wedding cake was how refusing to make the cake could have put the cakeshop out of business.

I am quite happy about gay marriage, but it is ridiculous to use the full force of the law to enforce it on others so soon after gay marriage was illegal.

Live and let live; and that includes Christian cake shops!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited March 2015

FalseFlag said:

SeanT said:

notme said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yawn. Yeah. Whatev.

If Campell had any shame he would not appear in public. I hope Chilcot ends his career as a political pundit.
    I bet it won't...not because what it might or might not say, but because he will always be welcome by sections of the media and he is always more than happy to oblige.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2015
    On topic: QWTAIN

There are two main scenarios for the next Conservative leadership.

1. Cameron wins the election, at least to the extent of remaining PM, and the leadership contest therefore takes place from a position of being in government. In this scenario, there's not much chance of an outsider - it would have to be a continuity candidate, almost certainly already senior in the cabinet, and able and willing to take over where Cameron left off. The realistic candidates in this scenario look quite limited at the moment: Boris, May, Osborne, Javid, and perhaps Jeremy Hunt. It's important to note, though, that reputations will rise and fall over a period of four or so years, so it would be a mistake to assume that the current top three would be the favourites at the time.

2. Cameron loses the election, and resigns from a position of being in opposition during a Miliband government. In this scenario - unless another election looks imminent - things are much more unpredictable; the Conservative MPs who narrow the choice down to just two might well go for a bolder choice, presenting members with at least one less obvious selection. In addition, Owen Paterson or another figure more from the right of the party could well be in with a chance. It could well be a complete outsider who ends up grabbing the crown in this scenario, as happened in 2005.

Liz Truss won't figure in either scenario IMO.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

With your "horribly white high street" comments and your "I am a millionaire but I despise smart cars" comments YOU are the WORST kind of self regarding, upper middle class lefty SNOB. You ooze snobbery. It's what you do. You sneer, yet you think your sneering is justified because it is aimed at white British people - poor or rich. You perpetuate what you purport to despise.

You are quite repulsive. Sorry. I hope your Italian lunch "near Firenze" went well.
    I think you have missed the point here. I wish Boris was a Labour man (i.e. someone with his considerable skills) solely on the basis that Boris exudes charm, charisma and and an easy ability to communicate- and he is fiercely ambitious. He is perhaps the only politician with this combination of qualities. Jo Swinson is very good too but without ambition. Chuka is ambitious, a good communicator, but without Boris' s charm.

My comments to Isam betray my more political thoughts, namely that the public school system is utterly abhorrent and Boris is the worst product of this. But I wasn't going this deep.

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

Do what you like!

UKIP are a racist party,

Goodnight

Hmmm...
    What were the EDL up to negotiating with a Muslim? Was it entrapment all along?

Who benefits most from having a prominent asian Tory cast out?

Though a bit like Miss Boulter one does worry that a bit too much positive discrimination is going on.
  • Options

JEO said:

JEO said:

notme said:

MP_SE said:

It has nothing to do with the pronouncements of the 'more extreme pro-Europeans' It is written into the treaties. That is why the Thatcher/Cameron position is so stupid. It flies in the face of the treaties that we have already signed up to long ago.

Most of which were signed on behalf of the UK by Tory administrations.
    It was the more extreme pro-Europeans who wrote those things into the Treaties. Any treaty is a matter of negotiation. Letting in a meaningless buzzword is a low cost way to get leverage for a concession somewhere else. I would have no problem with the ever closer union phrase as long as we had the practical limits of the EU being where they were pre-Maastrict. The two big mistakes of EU treaties were Maastrict and Lisbon, for which the mistakes were by one 'wet' Conservative government and one Labour government.
  • Options
    perdix said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

notme said:

MP_SE said:

New members to the EU must be accepted by all existing members. A far sighted (and brave) British government could have insisted on strong restrictions on all EU migration before approving any new member.

Or even tell Spain to STFU about Gibraltar before letting them in.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

isam said:

isam said:

Do what you like!

UKIP are a racist party,

Goodnight

Hmmm...
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking- told by that famous UKIP leader some time back.
    In London, a prime contender for Labour candidate for the Mayoralty is proposing ethnic quotas to prioritise jobs for non white people.

White British people are already a minority in London, what's the need for more legislation against us?put it this way, if a Ukip candidate for the mayoralty suggested positive discrimination for white people in areas where there are virtually none, like Newham or Tottenham I wouldn't vote for them and would resign my membership, and that's the reason I would vote for anyone that stopped Sadiq Khan getting in
  • Options
    Re Boris

Several people I know don't like him, not because he's posh but because they think he's thick.

I wonder if he's overdone the 'Bertie Wooster' image.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    perdix said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

notme said:

MP_SE said:

The British were the ones trying to get the EU expanded in the first place. Part of this was geopolitical (growing The West at the expense of Russia) and part of it was tactical, because they thought a wider EU would integrate less deeply.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054
    Only one "Next leader" more or less nailed on I reckon - Farron.

His convincing defense of Westmorland will show Clegg up who will scrape home.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited March 2015
    OGH gets a hat tip
    (BBC live)

Mike Smithson, PoliticalBetting.com
    Cameron: odds move on potential successors

Posted at 23:38

Liz Truss moves in to 33/1
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2015

Re Boris

Several people I know don't like him, not because he's posh but because they think he's thick.

He's most certainly not thick.

However, his appeal might well be mostly to voters in the South where the Conservatives do well anyway. It's much less obvious that he can reach out to uncommitted voters in the midlands and north, which is where the party needs to build up more support. That would be one reason why I'd be a little dubious about voting for Boris in a leadership contest (depending obviously on who the alternative was).
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Do what you like!

UKIP are a racist party,

Goodnight

Hmmm...
    What were the EDL up to negotiating with a Muslim? Was it entrapment all along?

Who benefits most from having a prominent asian Tory cast out?

Though a bit like Miss Boulter one does worry that a bit too much positive discrimination is going on.
    Rather remarkably the Conservative race-baiter has managed to improve the EDL image.

Clearly though the EDL thought he had no chance of winning and so were happy to go public.

But I wonder if there are other politicians who have gotten too friendly with embarrassing people and are now shitting bricks at what conversations might have been recorded.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    JEO said:

It was the more extreme pro-Europeans who wrote those things into the Treaties. Any treaty is a matter of negotiation. Letting in a meaningless buzzword is a low cost way to get leverage for a concession somewhere else. I would have no problem with the ever closer union phrase as long as we had the practical limits of the EU being where they were pre-Maastrict. The two big mistakes of EU treaties were Maastrict and Lisbon, for which the mistakes were by one 'wet' Conservative government and one Labour government.

'twas dear Margaret who signed the Single European Act
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,090

The bad thing about the NI gay wedding cake was how refusing to make the cake could have put the cakeshop out of business.

I am quite happy about gay marriage, but it is ridiculous to use the full force of the law to enforce it on others so soon after gay marriage was illegal.

Not all Christians support discriminating against gay couples!
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    edited March 2015

The British were the ones trying to get the EU expanded in the first place. Part of this was geopolitical (growing The West at the expense of Russia)

One of the underlying causes of the current troubles in Ukraine.

NATO not satisfied with winning the cold war
  • Options
    Sam,have you the link to that ?
  • Options

Re Boris

However, his appeal might well be mostly to voters in the South where the Conservatives do well anyway. It's much less obvious that he can reach out to uncommitted voters in the midlands and north, which is where the party needs to build up more support. That would be one reason why I'd be a little dubious about voting for Boris in a leadership contest (depending obviously on who the alternative was).
    Certainly he's not thick but the 'tim, nice but dim' persona is widely thought of as the standard upper class personality.

And Boris has played into this to an extent as it comes across as unthreatening.
  • Options

Re Boris

Certainly he's not thick but the 'tim, nice but dim' persona is widely thought of as the standard upper class personality.

And Boris has played into this to an extent as it comes across as unthreatening.
    Buffoon are usually the first comments when people see Boris on TV up here ;-)

• Options
    EPG said:

Not all Christians support discriminating against gay couples!
    I know. I am one of the Christians that are not bothered, I just think that other Christians need a bit of time to reach the same opinion.
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk

After about two thousand years, they still need more time?
  • Options
    This is the sort of thing which makes Boris look 'thick':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXy__5whR5c

Coming across as 'thick' makes it seem that Boris owes his progress to being posh.

Not good when looking for votes from the non-privileged.

By comparison while Cameron is equally posh nobody thinks that he is 'thick' - the accusation there is more one of arrogance.

• Options
  • Options
    @another_richard
    "...the accusation there is more one of arrogance."

Cameron's arrogance I find mildly irritating, but it's the complacency of him and some of his cabinet that makes me angry.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Coming across as 'thick' makes it seem that Boris owes his progress to being posh.

By comparison while Cameron is equally posh nobody thinks that he is 'thick' - the accusation there is more one of arrogance.

I might be wrong here, but I suspect some of boris's endearing character stems from his partial deafness.

He's no idiot, just a bit deaf.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653
    Pong said:

I might be wrong here, but I suspect some of boris's endearing character stems from his partial deafness.

He's no idiot, just a bit deaf.
    "That's no idiot. That's a space station!"
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited March 2015

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Pong said:

isam said:

Boris will be next leader of the Conservative party

Unless they fancy losing for a while

Osborne too unlikeable
    May too unattractive
    Hammond too stiff
    Javid too Muslim

Anyone wants to lay best price Boris I'll have £250

Javid's just about the right amount of muslim. Remember, the racists have jumped ship to ukip.
    Ooh rapier like! Its almost made me want to vote for someone other than Ukip

He won't be the next leader of the Tories. Want to lay Boris?
    Not right now. It's more likely than not that I'll be able to lay at shorter odds in a few weeks time.
    Looking beyond your cheap gutter sniping about racism, I would probably vote for Javid if he stood for London mayor against Lammy, Abbott or khan. He doesn't play racist politics and I quite like him.

But I don't think the country as a whole would vote for a Muslim in the climate of Rotherham and jihadi john etc, so it'd be a big mistake to make him leader
    Hardly cheap gutter sniping, isam. UKIP IS the racist party. They're the party the racists vote for. If you don't like the paki's, you vote ukip. Say it ain't so?

I don't doubt there are some fundamentally decent people in the party, those who not only get uncomfortable when the bigots in their ranks raise their voices - but actually stand up and challenge them.

I don't see many of them though.
    What a load of rubbish. There are bigots in every party. Labour and the Tories are rife with them. This false attempt to pretend that UKIP is the home for bigots is just the established parties trying to hide the embarrassment of the racists and homophobes in their own party.
    Cr@p.
    'Oooh look at him he is too muslim!' Why did he have to bother? Because he cannot help himself.
    LOL. And you think the Tories don't have their own racists and homophobes.

Once again. My favourite Tory bad penny. Ken Gregory. STILL a Tory councillor after all he has done.

And there are plenty more examples.

I would think tonight you might be more concerned with your own former Parliamentary Candidate who thought it a good idea to do deals with the real racists just so he could get elected.

Of course you are silent on these examples because they are Tories and so must be misunderstood.
    There was a nice long list of "misunderstood" Tories in the Mirror at the beginning of the year, 20+ just for last year. Still nothing to see here, move along.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/proof-camerons-tories-racist-sexist-191792
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited March 2015
    Commiserations Robert. I did something similar many years ago when I was on a girls night out in deepest winter in Aviemore, my friends still dine out on that story!! The very sympathetic doctor at A&E cheerfully told me I might have been better actually breaking a bone in my foot instead as he then could have put it in plaster to give it some support for a few weeks!!
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

rcs1000 said:

@SeanT - that's easy: it's you.

Actually, ICE TWINS is probably the first novel I've written where my own character, opinions and attitudes are all completely absent. The fact it is also my best novel, by a distance, makes this rather double-edged.
    I've actually bought T.I.T. on my Kindle and had planned to read it on a flight to San Fran today. But I tore all the ligaments in my left ankle, so I've not gone.

And therefore not started on your book.
This discussion has been closed.