Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The great national – constituency betting divide

124»

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266
    SMukesh said:

It is really funny all these Tories predicting ED IS going to be hammered when it`s their leader who is the chicken.

Cameron ran scared of the debates for a reason,ladies!

He really is a big jessie, scared unless it is just him talking to a hand picked audience.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,036

When Labour go back in front in the next Opinium poll, it will be ignored.
    Naturally. PB Golden Rule.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    MP_SE said:

Lol.

Although the Tories have yet to break above 36 in any of the polls.
    TSE beat me to it.. but tick tock is on the money. question is, can it be sustained....
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

And if they don't, what will you say then..?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    36% would actually be a pretty amusing final Tory score - it'd be fun to see where the end up, seats wise, with the same percentage as last time.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    For any of our American friends looking at today's scores and wondering, the Six Nations is a rugby tournament, not basketball......
  • Options

You're quite wrong. It doesn't get ignored, it just gets explained away.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

The only poll that gets talked about on here is the one that shows the Tories in the best light. It doesn't matter which polling company it is, it swaps on a daily/weekly basis, even ICM lost it's gold standard for not being over Hodged. It's the PB way.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

The only place labour are going back to is 1983 EdM=Michael Foot
  • Options
    RobD said:

Naturally. PB Golden Rule.
    Exactamundo!
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Alistair said:

FTP Thread

I don't know for certain but I assume when @Dair was talking about apartheid in Scotland he was talking about Religious Schooling and its associated effects.

Yes I was.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,266

SMukesh said:

GeoffM said:

SMukesh said:

MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

It is really funny all these Tories predicting ED IS going to be hammered when it`s their leader who is the chicken.

Yes, for this exact reason. You literally don't understand how politics works.
    I know enough to know it`s not a good idea to have 6 party leaders calling you chicken before the election.
    Again, the "challengers" debate includes the opposition and only the opposition. Also, since Dave, Nige and Nick get less screen time than Ed (one less appearance for Dave and Nige, two less for Nick) they will be able to make that up elsewhere for political balance reasons.

Honestly, you just don't get this politics malarkey. Dave has won. Ed has lost. He is going into a room with 4 anti-establishment parties as the one defending the establishment. Dave and Nick get to sit at home laughing while they tuck into a nice meal and chortle into their beers.
    Seems like you know there is everything to know about politics.
    Well he's definitely medalling in this particular exchange between the two of you.
    And that`s why he needs another idiot to blunder in.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Labour friends of mine pretty irate over the debates. Mostly with Labour campaign for putting Ed into the den of ****s with the challengers.

But surely Miliband wouldn't agree to it unless he felt there was some advantage to him in doing it?

I'm pleasantly surprised by the latest proposals. A range of programmes and formats over a wide enough period so as not to take over the entire campaign.
    One of them thinks that Ed made such a massive thing over the debates that Ed couldn't back down from any of them without losing face.
    As far as when the 5-way is taking place then if I were Cameron I would be out somewhere meeting the people and making a speech and looking prime ministerial and in control, not squabbling with a bunch of political midgets for the extremist vote.
    Ha ha Ha , you really are a comedian
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Thats a massive switch round from last week and it must have come after both the budget and the analysis of it.

Are you pleased to see Mr Eagles that England's Pacific Islanders are coming out better than France's Pacific Islanders?
  • Options
    England fans, prepare to dream....
  • Options

Thats a massive switch round from last week and it must have come after both the budget and the analysis of it.

Are you pleased to see Mr Eagles that England's Pacific Islanders are coming out better than France's Pacific Islanders?
    I'm just happy we're winning.

This is the most stirring England v France match since the 2007 Semi
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

FTP Thread

I don't know for certain but I assume when @Dair was talking about apartheid in Scotland he was talking about Religious Schooling and its associated effects.

I saw the comment and the question too. My interpretation was sectarianism and I thought the reference germinated from an earlier thread diversion into football. Which would be one of your "associated effects", I guess?
    No I was specifically using the term Apartheid as the mechanism the state uses to promote sectarianism - i.e. the school system.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,976
    ISAM

"Also managed to get banned as two people in a week and sneak back under the radar"

That's impressive. Certainly one to watch. Do we have a name?
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

The only place labour are going back to is 1983 EdM=Michael Foot
    David Cameron = Political genius!
  • Options

One side might start tackling in a bit.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

The only poll that gets talked about on here is the one that shows the Tories in the best light. It doesn't matter which polling company it is, it swaps on a daily/weekly basis, even ICM lost it's gold standard for not being over Hodged. It's the PB way.
    Apparently I look at a different PB, as what I see is PB Tories get excited by polls showing the Tories doing well, and not liking the ones which do not, and PB non-Tories mocking that no-one mentions the latter, even when they do (just not as much as the ones they like obviously). The myth of the 'Tories polling poorly so not mentioned' is just that, a myth.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

SMukesh said:

GeoffM said:

SMukesh said:

MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

Yes, for this exact reason. You literally don't understand how politics works.
    I know enough to know it`s not a good idea to have 6 party leaders calling you chicken before the election.
    Seems like you know there is everything to know about politics.
    Well he's definitely medalling in this particular exchange between the two of you.
    And that`s why he needs another idiot to blunder in.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Labour friends of mine pretty irate over the debates. Mostly with Labour campaign for putting Ed into the den of ****s with the challengers.

But surely Miliband wouldn't agree to it unless he felt there was some advantage to him in doing it?

I'm pleasantly surprised by the latest proposals. A range of programmes and formats over a wide enough period so as not to take over the entire campaign.
    One of them thinks that Ed made such a massive thing over the debates that Ed couldn't back down from any of them without losing face.
    As far as when the 5-way is taking place then if I were Cameron I would be out somewhere meeting the people and making a speech and looking prime ministerial and in control, not squabbling with a bunch of political midgets for the extremist vote.
    Ha ha Ha , you really are a comedian
    I only see you with a custard pie in the face.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    kle4 said:

Apparently I look at a different PB, as what I see is PB Tories get excited by polls showing the Tories doing well, and not liking the ones which do not, and PB non-Tories mocking that no-one mentions the latter, even when they do (just not as much as the ones they like obviously). The myth of the 'Tories polling poorly so not mentioned' is just that, a myth.
    I also enjoy the knee jerk reaction of single poll results. It is one of the most entertaining parts of being on here. We will see how many mentions the Yougov gets later.
  • Options
    Roger said:

ISAM

"Also managed to get banned as two people in a week and sneak back under the radar"

There is probably a limit to how well someone can be uniquely identified, for instance using a VPN or Tor to connect through a different IP address. Not sure what isam is trying to demonstrate with this, that the mods don't spend every waking hour verifying a new user isn't the same as an old, banned user.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I also enjoy the knee jerk reaction of single poll results. It is one of the most entertaining parts of being on here. We will see how many mentions the Yougov gets later.
    We will see if the YouGov is a gold standard poll or not. ;)
  • Options

One side might start tackling in a bit.
    Prescient.

Or perhaps not the type of tackle that you wanted.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    It looks like the Budget was well -received.
  • Options
    James Haskell deserves to be slapped around the face with a breeze block.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

We will see if the YouGov is a gold standard poll or not. ;)
    In the bin tonight.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Dair said:

GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

FTP Thread

I saw the comment and the question too. My interpretation was sectarianism and I thought the reference germinated from an earlier thread diversion into football. Which would be one of your "associated effects", I guess?
    No I was specifically using the term Apartheid as the mechanism the state uses to promote sectarianism - i.e. the school system.
    Ah, I see, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.
    Helps me see your comment in the right context now.
  • Options
    The last Survation poll had a Labour lead of six.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

kle4 said:

the trend is the friend and labour are on the descent, for them the only way is down! and definitely not Essex
  • Options
    kle4 said:

36% would actually be a pretty amusing final Tory score - it'd be fun to see where the end up, seats wise, with the same percentage as last time.

But isn't it the 33 for labour which is the issue??

Oh and as I said before - will someone start tackling soon? Has the gallant little Belgian done for England?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Even if that were true why would it be something to get so worked up about?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,653
    Interesting :)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    RobD said:

Roger said:

ISAM

There is probably a limit to how well someone can be uniquely identified, for instance using a VPN or Tor to connect through a different IP address. Not sure what isam is trying to demonstrate with this, that the mods don't spend every waking hour verifying a new user isn't the same as an old, banned user.
    I'm on Tor from all of my usual machines so yes, there's no easy technical solution.
    Commenting style is the least scientific but the most reliable guide.

Unless you pick the username TheLastBobbaFettScoutAccount#7 of course.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,591
    This has to be one of the craziest games of rugby I have ever seen.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This has to be one of the craziest games of rugby I have ever seen.

Is like the end of season match between England and the Barbarians
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Of course, this should receive a glorious ELBOW upweighting to its obvious gold standard status... just sayin'!
  • Options
    I swear, never before even in jest have I been so certain my individual attention is somehow impacting a sporting event - I don't think England have scored a point whenever I click over, and something terrible is always going on instead. With the amount of points conceded by both sides, that's remarkably unlucky if nothing else.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited March 2015
    The actual figures show Tories have a lead of over 3%:

Con 35.8
    Lab 32.6
    Lib 7.2
    UKIP 13.7
    Green 6.2

In Scotland:
    Con 24.6
    Lab 32.0
    Lib 4.5
    Green 4.5
    UKIP 4.5
    SNP 30.6

Baxtering that (changed UKIP, LD and Green from 4.5 to 4.2 in scotland to get it below 100% gives:

C305
    L298
    LD10
    Green 1
    SNP 14
    UKIP 0

I suspect the SNP figure is distorted by Scotland only having a small sample (134). Add another 25 SNP seats at the expense of Labour and it has got a distinct whiff of Jack W's ARSE.

• Options
    The one time the ref could not see anything he did not call in the TV and the ball was dropped! Lucky England

Oh not what a load of rubbish - another try from a push or drive over!! For France!!! This is not rugby.

Will missed French conversions give England this title!!
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Here's a tip. Talk about it. It's not a difficult concept.
  • Options
    This French Team seems to be built on similar principles to the England and Wales cricket team.

With a similar outcome.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054
    England are going to win this match in the same style the Conservatives win the general Election.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    malcolmg said:

SMukesh said:

He really is a big jessie, scared unless it is just him talking to a hand picked audience.
    He doesnt need to hand pick his audience he is good at that kind of thing. He wasnt running scared of the debates, or a big jessie. It was a calculation and negotiating tactic. You have to give him credit to getting what he wanted. There are few people who could out debate cameron he is very very good. This is all about limiting Milibands exposure. He isnt as bad as he is made out to be.

It's the same with Ed, he gets lambasted for the whole brother thing. Actually, someone who is willing to push the envelope and spot a weakness, and then exploit is the kind of person you need. That ruthless streak which got him leadership of his party is a credit.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Who is worked up, it's just a statement of fact. Which will be proven in the next few hours.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

FTP Thread

Mr Dair regularly uses the terms nationalists and loyalists. We all know the kind of language he is using and why he is using it.
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Who is worked up, it's just a statement of fact. Which will be proven in the next few hours.
    proven? You know what the next polls are?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,054

The actual figures show Tories have a lead of over 3%:

Con 35.8
    Lab 32.6
    Lib 7.2
    UKIP 13.7
    Green 6.2

In Scotland:
    Con 24.6
    Lab 32.0
    Lib 4.5
    Green 4.5
    UKIP 4.5
    SNP 30.6

Baxtering that (changed UKIP, LD and Green from 4.5 to 4.2 in scotland to get it below 100% gives:

C305
    L298
    LD10
    Green 1
    SNP 14
    UKIP 0

I suspect the SNP figure is distorted by Scotland only having a small sample (134). Add another 25 SNP seats at the expense of Labour and it has got a distinct whiff of Jack W's ARSE.

SNP are "weighted" from 73 to 43.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    edited March 2015
    RobD said:

Ishmael_X said:

compouter knows everything - even the numbers for polls that have yet to be taken

He is that good
  • Options
    notme said:

GeoffM said:

Alistair said:

FTP Thread

Mr Dair regularly uses the terms nationalists and loyalists. We all know the kind of language he is using and why he is using it.
    If you think it has anything to do with Ulster, you are very much mistaken. When I did retain some indoctrination in such things I was very much on the opposite side to the one you infer.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Ishmael_X said:

You are.

• Options

RobD said:

Ishmael_X said:

compouter knows everything - even that numbers for polls that have yet to be taken

He is that good
    ;-)
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

saddened said:

Thanks for the tip.
    You're welcome, I couldn't work out if you where whining or thick you see.
  • Options
    saddened said:

saddened said:

Thanks for the tip.
    You're welcome, I couldn't work out if you where whining or thick you see.
    ARF!
  • Options
    edited March 2015

TSE - Eh. It was the absurdity of the electoral system that saw Labour win in 2005 not the Tories fail in 2010. The Tories convinced 37% of the British people to support them in 2010 which didn't provide a majority of seats. They were lucky however that a party that had fought three elections to the left of Labour absurdly decided to form a 5 year coalition with the Tories.

As for the financial crisis it should have helped the Tories as the main opposition party. However they revealed themselves as such a pair of shallow lightweights (as admitted by the then Bank of England Governor) that they couldn't take advantage.

The problem for the Conservatives at the time was that they had also bought into the perpetual boom thing. While they warned about the deficit (it wasnt particularly large, but it was on the wrong side of sensible, and at the point in the economic cycle (2006/7/8) there really shouldnt be a deficit.

But it was hard to pin things on Brown, he had gained a reputation as an iron chancellor when he kept to very difficult spending plans the Conservatives had left him, at that point a growing economy, reduced spending and increasing employment was filling up the treasury. The 3g windfalls were put against the debt, we were a few decisions away from being debt free.

At that point Brown decided to ramp up public spending.

Cameron and Osborne are not cutters, they arent right wing libertarian ideologues. They are just trying to put the system back together.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Ishmael_X said:

You are.

:-)
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Who is worked up, it's just a statement of fact.
    Except it isn't, but I guess we can let that go in favour of one's favourite personal meme. I'd be annoyed if I couldn't find the opportunity to do my personal thing - although fortunately I can always find the opportunity to be self righteous, which is my thing, if not mine alone.

Good night everybody.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ishmael_X said:

Who is worked up, it's just a statement of fact.
    Except it isn't, but I guess we can let that go in favour of one's favourite personal meme. I'd be annoyed if I couldn't find the opportunity to do my personal thing - although fortunately I can always find the opportunity to be self righteous, which is my thing, if not mine alone.

Good night everybody.
    Adios.
  • Options
    Is now the time to remind fans that Ford was born in Oldham (on the fringes of the Northern Powerhouse) and is the son of former Wigan Rugby League half back Mike Ford.
    To be fair its obvious from his running lines.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Of course, this should receive a glorious ELBOW upweighting to its obvious gold standard status... just sayin'!
    Labour lead down from 0.5 to 0.1 :)
  • Options
    Fabulous entertainment
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    So, England for the World Cup then?

Oh...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Amazing match. Shame England's defence couldn't hold up. Also, Haskell is a turd.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Dannythefink: Nigel Farage's approval/disapproval ratings as measured by Opinium and published today are exactly the same as Ed Miliband's.
  • Options
    Well that was awesome. The yellow card cost them the 6 Nations. And some very poor lineouts. But what a game
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Scott_P said:

So, England for the World Cup then?

Oh...

Coming from a Scot? Lol.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,411
    edited March 2015
    So close, so exciting...and to think the Scottish guy got over the try line in the last few minutes of the Ireland game and dropped the ball....

However, Ireland were the best team overall.

But I don't think the New Zealander are going to be having too many sleepless nights over playing Northern Hemisphere teams in the WC.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,034
    Glad I went to the pub to watch the match. Didn't think we would do it, but the boys did all that was asked of them . A thoroughly good advert for international rugby. My main gripe is that we weren't making the tackles and when we did, not hitting the French hard enough. But kudos to the crapauds for fighting to the end.
  • Options

RobD said:

My 20 poll average has them neck and neck at the moment. Mainly because Excel rounds 0.5 down for some reason :-( This should be back to a Tory lead.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited March 2015

Glad I went to the pub to watch the match. Didn't think we would do it, but the boys did all that was asked of them . A thoroughly good advert for international rugby. My main gripe is that we weren't making the tackles and when we did, not hitting the French hard enough. But kudos to the crapauds for fighting to the end.

Seconded - cracking match although frustrating at times. - point of note: you can never hit a Frenchman too hard.. :)
  • Options

So close, so exciting...and to think the Scottish guy got over the try line in the last few minutes of the Ireland game and dropped the ball....

But I don't think the New Zealander are going to be having too many sleepless nights over playing Northern Hemisphere teams in the WC.

Plus England scored a try from a dropped ball...
  • Options
    Stuart Hogg's post match drinks are on the Irish.
  • Options

Seconded - cracking match although frustrating at times. - point of note: you can never hit a Frenchman too hard.. :)
    As Admiral Lord Nelson said, you should hate a Frenchman as you hate the Devil.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Well .... that was a dull afternoon of rugby.

:smile:
  • Options

RobD said:

My 20 poll average has them neck and neck at the moment. Mainly because Excel rounds 0.5 down for some reason :-( This should be back to a Tory lead.

10 polls so far this week:

simple average =
    Con 33.6
    Lab 33.5

ELBOW aggregate =
    Lab 33.7
    Con 33.6

Take your pic :)
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Dropped and jumped on... Surely legitimate?

• Options
    edited March 2015

And so did France...All very exciting.

The thing is if you are the best team, you shouldn't be at a stage where you are relying on one try here or there over the course of 5 games. I don't think the New Zealanders will have that problem in the group stages of WC.
  • Options
    That's what I like, spanking the French by 20 points, and feeling disappointed.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

@JackW's ARSE looks as if it is based off a combination of swingback and leader ratings to me.

If my ARSE reflected Ed Miliband's leader rating then on 7th May Con GAIN Bolsover would be flashing on our TV screens.
  • Options
    Oh good poll for the Tories by the way.
  • Options
    AndrewPAndrewP Posts: 10
    What sort of amounts of money are being bet on these individual constituency markets? If we're talking about tiny markets with little interest I think we should be interpreting with caution.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

That Courtney Laws tackle was barn-stormer.

England though made the same mistake for all 5 games. Lots and lots of unforced errors in good positions e.g lost lots of line-outs near the opposition line. Too many aimless kicks. Poor restarts. Dan Cole giving away way too many penalties at the breakdowns.

Wales were very poor for a lot of the six nations, didn't it out to the likes of George North anywhere near enough. They showed today when they did start to move it, how dangerous the back line can be.

Ireland, have an efficient but uninspiring approach. Miss the great O'Driscoll etc.

Scotland.....better move on....

Italy....get better each year. Remember they were beating Wales for first 39 minutes.
  • Options
    Napoleon, Joan of Arc, D'Artagnan, Eric Cantona, Rene Descartes, Alexandre Dumas, Asterix, Coco Chanel, Jacques Clouseau, can you hear me, Jacques Clouseau can you hear me, Jacques Clouseau your boys took one hell of beating
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TheScreamingEagles
    So near yet so far for the cheddar eating shirt lifters?
  • Options

And so did France...All very exciting.

The thing is if you are the best team, you shouldn't be at a stage where you are relying on one try here or there over the course of 5 games. I don't think the New Zealanders will have that problem in the group stages of WC.
    I do not want to defend France because their winger did not deserve to be awarded that try, but it probably was, just, a try.
    Onward to next thread.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    The Waybak Political Machine:

The Conservatives want to take us back to 1996
    Labour want to take us back to 1976
    UKIP want to take us back to 1956
    The Lib Dems want to take us back to 1906
    The SNP want to take us back to 1596
    Plaid Cwmru want to take us back to 1276
    Islam wants to take us back to 626
    And the Greens want to take us back to -56