Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Harry Hayfield’s local election preview

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,038
    Pulpstar said:

£1300 a month for a bedsit ?

Croydon must be cheaper than Hammersmith lol

Blimey
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,339
    Pulpstar Exactly
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

So, when exactly did this MP work for the minimum wage?

Presumably he worked for an hourly rate less than or equal to the minimum wage at some point before it became law

Or are you pretending that doesn't count?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139

The most curious thing about the LibDem alternative budget stunt - apart from how it got past the inevitable 'Err, wouldn't that make us look a bit silly?' objection - is that Danny A actually had a seriously good announcement to make today about clamping down on tax avoidance and evasion, which has been thrown away.

Oh well.

But it sums up their 5 wasted years as a coalition partner. Once gain they trash their own government. They the LDs are a wing of government. They think they can get re elected by behaving as if the last 5 years have been like a plot out of Dallas. They think the electorate will behave like Pam and wake up on polling day to see a reanimated Clegg walk through the door who did not run over by a Tory SUV. It was all a dream.

Who are they kidding?
    As a wing of government that might want to have influence in government they need to bank such influence as they have had and get on with supporting themselves and the govt in the election.
    They have thrown away the opportunity that coalition gave them. The rump of their support don't care. They deserve oblivion - not for being libdems but for wasting whatever it is they stand for. They are pointless.
    You lost me a bit by the end, which is just typical bigger party spiel suggesting there is no point in another party even existing when that is clearly just what the larger side would wish to be the case. The LDs have been remarkably good Coalition partners as far as I can see, their people causing less trouble than the Tory backbenches, and while they are clearly trying to present now as if they are going to have been behind everything good and restrained everything bad, that's just politics - being good coalition soldiers and not differentiating didn't improve their polling, nor has trying to differentiate in fairness, but they are just maneuvering for a post coalition world. I don't think it will work, but castigating them for being a political party and acting like a political party is pretty low.

And I say that as someone who stands up when people claim 'no one voted for this coalition' by clarifying that, inasmuch as that was possible, I for one did.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Denbigshire Rhyl South West

Labour 474
    Conservative 131
    Plaid Cymru 62
    Independent 52
    Liberal Democrats 26

Clearly Danny's alternative budget didn't help much here!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,139
    Scott_P said:

Matt has seen a leaked copy of the Labour blank sheet of paper manifesto

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/

Love it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Pulpstar said:

£1300 in Hammersmith gets far more than a bedsit.

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/36268067?search_identifier=32dd722e5726fb1d17a9dd7b1d9d5136

A nice one bedroom flat for that much, found in about 30 seconds.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Chuckles Umunna doing the usual Labour thing of faking a problem.

Average tenancy now = 3 years....so he'll legislate to create three year tenancies.

• Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    kle4 said:

The most curious thing about the LibDem alternative budget stunt - apart from how it got past the inevitable 'Err, wouldn't that make us look a bit silly?' objection - is that Danny A actually had a seriously good announcement to make today about clamping down on tax avoidance and evasion, which has been thrown away.

Oh well.

But it sums up their 5 wasted years as a coalition partner. Once gain they trash their own government. They the LDs are a wing of government. They think they can get re elected by behaving as if the last 5 years have been like a plot out of Dallas. They think the electorate will behave like Pam and wake up on polling day to see a reanimated Clegg walk through the door who did not run over by a Tory SUV. It was all a dream.

Who are they kidding?
    As a wing of government that might want to have influence in government they need to bank such influence as they have had and get on with supporting themselves and the govt in the election.
    They have thrown away the opportunity that coalition gave them. The rump of their support don't care. They deserve oblivion - not for being libdems but for wasting whatever it is they stand for. They are pointless.
    You lost me a bit by the end, which is just typical bigger party spiel suggesting there is no point in another party even existing when that is clearly just what the larger side would wish to be the case. The LDs have been remarkably good Coalition partners as far as I can see, their people causing less trouble than the Tory backbenches, and while they are clearly trying to present now as if they are going to have been behind everything good and restrained everything bad, that's just politics - being good coalition soldiers and not differentiating didn't improve their polling, nor has trying to differentiate in fairness, but they are just maneuvering for a post coalition world. I don't think it will work, but castigating them for being a political party and acting like a political party is pretty low.

And I say that as someone who stands up when people claim 'no one voted for this coalition' by clarifying that, inasmuch as that was possible, I for one did.
    Very good points
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,708
    Scott_P said:

Presumably he worked for an hourly rate less than or equal to the minimum wage at some point before it became law

Or are you pretending that doesn't count?
    I don't think it would count in the eyes of most voters. It is reported that he said he worked for the minimum wage and he hasn't.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/36268067?search_identifier=32dd722e5726fb1d17a9dd7b1d9d5136

If I were the panelist I would have advised the questioner to seek advice from the CAB, given that they are being sorely ripped off!
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    SMukesh said:

Roger said:

Been listening to a lot of radio news to-day. Seemed to be going much better for Labour. Not exactly coming apart for George but the gloss is being replaced with some pretty searching questions.

If yesterday was St George's day today was definitely Balls.

In my view,George and Cameron have totally lost it.

I suspect Labour will hammer on spending cuts till they are pretty close to a majority.
    You want to see the deficit stay where it is? Balls' policy is to not bother about deficit or debt reduction.
    Labour seem mixed up. Yesterday it was VAT increases today it is spending cuts.
    Will we ever get their plans? They never said what they would cut in govt I doubt they will tell us in opposition.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Roger said:

Been listening to a lot of radio news to-day. Seemed to be going much better for Labour. Not exactly coming apart for George but the gloss is being replaced with some pretty searching questions.

I suspect Labour will hammer on spending cuts till they are pretty close to a majority.
    Are Labour planning to reverse the cuts? Balls said he agreed with the budget.

It is not this budget that`s the problem for Con.

It is the fact that George is having to make spending cuts twice as deep in the next Parliament that is going to scare the horses.

George was crazy to make his intent clear in the Autumn statement and Labour will and must exploit it to the full.
    Again, Labour's Tory cuts mantra hasn't cut through for 5 years, why would it suddenly do so now? People just don't believe Labour on the economy. It is why Ed Balls accepted the budget measures and Ed Miliband has not been seen or heard while it is all still in the news. He will pop up next week some time and make a speech about the NHS and completely ignore the economy because Labour can't win on the economy.
    Mate.Do you guys even live in the real world?

If it was all going so swimmingly and Labour`s campaign wasn`t working,why did your genius chancellor had to row back from his supposed austerity measures in the autumn statement?
    I'm not a Tory. If I were it would be a very unhappy marriage...

Also, in the real world Labour are the least trusted party on the economy and Osborne has a 20 point lead on economic competence over Balls. The cuts message isn't cutting through. If it was Labour would be 10 points up in the polls and Osborne would have taken a penny off the basic rate yesterday. The reason behind Osborne reducing the final year surplus isn't because of Labour's Tory cuts crap, it is because of Labour's highly effective NHS campaigning. That extra money is all going to be spent on the NHS to neutralise Labour's strongest campaigning tool.
    You had me fooled for a second with your strong defence of the chancellor and advocation of his policies.

And that`s why the chancellor is briefing that the proposed changes to his spending cuts only take us to the 1960`s not the 1930`s.

And according to the IFS,aren`t the biggest cuts to come in 2016-17 and 2017-18?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    What the bloody hell does Tony Blair look like on the Trevor Phillips programme?

Like a 108 yr old waxwork version of the bloke who used to be PM.

Guilt must age you awfully
  • Options
    Will Self is a donkey.
  • Options
    Ukip MEP Janice Atkinson's staff 'tripled restaurant bill to claim more EU expenses'

Asked about Ms Atkinson’s reaction to the claims, he said she appeared “very, very surprised” that she was being criticised. “She doesn't see what she’s done wrong. I think she’s genuinely dense enough not to realise this is not the way things happen,” the source said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/ukip-mep-janice-atkinsons-staff-tripled-restaurant-bill-to-claim-more-eu-expenses-10121354.html

Astonishing.........
  • Options

SMukesh said:

Roger said:

You want to see the deficit stay where it is? Balls' policy is to not bother about deficit or debt reduction.
    Will we ever get their plans? They never said what they would cut in govt I doubt they will tell us in opposition.
    Why doesn`t George let the OBR cost Labour`s plans?

It will give you a clear idea whether the deficit will come down or not!
  • Options
    Where's compouter tonight? :lol:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,055
    Murphy time in Bolton lol
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

You had me fooled for a second with your strong defence of the chancellor and advocation of his policies.

And that`s why the chancellor is briefing that the proposed changes to his spending cuts only take us to the 1960`s not the 1930`s.

And according to the IFS,aren`t the biggest cuts to come in 2016-17 and 2017-18?

What defence? I am literally pointing out why the Tories are going in with austerity, it is the only way they can win. If you are too blind to see that then good luck, Labour seem to have seen it which is why Ed Balls accepted the budget measures in full. You are mistaking defence for my outlining me understanding their strategy. You lefties are all the same, you can only see in black and white, if something doesn't agree with your worldview it must be incorrect. The fact that the Tory cuts line appeals to you it doesn't mean it appeals to everyone. Labour themselves acknowledged this with their 35% strategy believing they could cobble together most of their 2010 vote and the lefty Lib Dem switchers to make it to 35%. Those are the people receptive to the Tory cuts line.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Roger said:

Your increasingly hysterical posts outline two things:

1) The sheer desperation of the Left.

2) You have no concept of basic economics
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

I live about a hundred and fifty miles, just went down there for a concert recently - the prices I noted in estate agents were mind blowing to my Coventry eyes :D

Honestly I have no idea if Croydon costs more than Hammersmith, but Shepherd's Bush seemed like it had amazingly high prices for a solid Labour area :)
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Ave_it said:

Same as me,didn't turn up after Reading ;-)

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

Sajid Javid to Will Self: "I have worked for the minimum wage actually" Maybe Self has no idea about Sajid's upbringing #bbcqt

Why do the bbc keep bringing this prat on.

Er. How? The minimum wage was introduced in 1998. By this time Sajid was about 29 years old. According to his wiki page after university (approx. age 21) he "immediately" went to work for Chase bank, followed by a stellar career at Deutshe bank and then politics.

Between 1909 and 1993 a lot of minimum wages were set by the Wages Councils. They did not cover all trades, but set the level for many workers:

http://www.totalpolitics.com/blog/28013/history-of-the-uk-s-minimum-wage.thtml
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Never mind - you can still make the play offs!!
  • Options
    Suzanne Evans (@SuzanneEvans1)
    19/03/2015 22:30
    Proving Phillips' point I'd say: RT@AntiRacismDay: If you disagree w. #thingswewontsayaboutrace come to antiracism... standuptoracism.org.uk
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Roger said:

Are Labour planning to reverse the cuts? Balls said he agreed with the budget.

It is not this budget that`s the problem for Con.

It is the fact that George is having to make spending cuts twice as deep in the next Parliament that is going to scare the horses.

ch about the NHS and completely ignore the economy because Labour can't win on the economy.
    Mate.Do you guys even live in the real world?

If it was all going so swimmingly and Labour`s campaign wasn`t working,why did your genius chancellor had to row back from his supposed austerity measures in the autumn statement?
    I'm not a Tory. If I were it would be a very unhappy marriage...

Also, in the real world Labour are the least trusted party on the economy and Osborne has a 20 point lead on economic competence over Balls. The cuts message isn't cutting through. If it was Labour would be 10 points up in the polls and Osborne would have taken a penny off the basic rate yesterday. The reason behind Osborne reducing the final year surplus isn't because of Labour's Tory cuts crap, it is because of Labour's highly effective NHS campaigning. That extra money is all going to be spent on the NHS to neutralise Labour's strongest campaigning tool.

Actually TV stations were briefing yesterday that the proposed changes actually only took us back to 2000. That was the year before Brown lost the plot and threw 'prudence' out of the window in an effort to buy the subsequent general elections election
  • Options

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Roger said:

Well this broadbrushing may work as a campaign strategy not sure it is useful on a political website.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Your team looking good for the Prem ;-) if both teams go up,we could have a kiki Dee/Elton John comeback ;-)

• Options

Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Your team looking good for the Prem ;-) if both teams go up,we could have a kiki Dee/Elton John comeback ;-)

Watford double:
    Prem - Con hold!

The big teams coming through!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

What defence? I am literally pointing out why the Tories are going in with austerity, it is the only way they can win. If you are too blind to see that then good luck, Labour seem to have seen it which is why Ed Balls accepted the budget measures in full. You are mistaking defence for my outlining me understanding their strategy. You lefties are all the same, you can only see in black and white, if something doesn't agree with your worldview it must be incorrect. The fact that the Tory cuts line appeals to you it doesn't mean it appeals to everyone. Labour themselves acknowledged this with their 35% strategy believing they could cobble together most of their 2010 vote and the lefty Lib Dem switchers to make it to 35%. Those are the people receptive to the Tory cuts line.
    Well,great...Can`t see the Tories polling at 45% that you claim support austerity.
  • Options

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

Sajid Javid to Will Self: "I have worked for the minimum wage actually" Maybe Self has no idea about Sajid's upbringing #bbcqt

Why do the bbc keep bringing this prat on.

Er. How? The minimum wage was introduced in 1998. By this time Sajid was about 29 years old. According to his wiki page after university (approx. age 21) he "immediately" went to work for Chase bank, followed by a stellar career at Deutshe bank and then politics.

Between 1909 and 1993 a lot of minimum wages were set by the Wages Councils. They did not cover all trades, but set the level for many workers:

But, my point is that voters will understand the comment, 'I have worked for the minimum wage' to mean working for the Minimum Wage as introduced in 1998, not some ramshackle historical collection of wage limits from various local wage councils and trade bodies (which incidentally I seem to recall were all chopped in early 1990s).
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

Roger said:

Well this broadbrushing may work as a campaign strategy not sure it is useful on a political website.
    This is a betting website, have you suggested a bet based on your observations?
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

Well,great...Can`t see the Tories polling at 45% that you claim support austerity.
    We'll take 44%! :lol:
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,439
    edited March 2015
    When somebody talks about back in the day when they worked a minimum wage job, I think most people know what they mean even if it was before 97. It is only a problem for Javid, if it was found that he hasn't actually done some a crappy job that paid peanuts like cleaning the bogs of McDonald's etc.

If I had to guess, I would say probably talking about some sort of college or uni holiday job. Given his background, I think it is extremely likely to be the case.

Did anybody find out when it was that Yvette Cooper really needed to draw benefits like she claimed? I hope she didn't do the naughty thing that a lot of students did back in the day where they signed on in the holidays and then take some cash in hand job.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

I live about a hundred and fifty miles, just went down there for a concert recently - the prices I noted in estate agents were mind blowing to my Coventry eyes :D

Honestly I have no idea if Croydon costs more than Hammersmith, but Shepherd's Bush seemed like it had amazingly high prices for a solid Labour area :)
    Hammersmith and Shepherds Bush are pretty close to Central London though technically West London.

Croydon is pretty shit.
  • Options

When somebody talks about back in the day when they worked a minimum wage job, I think most people know what they mean even if it was before 97. It is only a problem for Javid, if it was found that he hasn't actually done some a crappy job that paid peanuts like cleaning the bogs of McDonald's etc.

If I had to guess, I would say probably talking about some sort of college or uni holiday job. Given his background, I think it is extremely likely to be the case.

That's my thinking.

• Options
    SMukesh said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Hammersmith and Shepherds Bush are pretty close to Central London though technically West London.

Croydon is pretty shit.
    Fairynuff
  • Options
    GN all!
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

GN all!

Night bud.

• Options
    For those brave betters who have money on Dan Jarvis as next leader, a nicely timed Sun piece:

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/dont-mess-with-dan-jarvis/
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

MaxPB said:

SMukesh said:

Neither do I? I said as much earlier. I think you need better reading comprehension. The Tories are trying to push the austerity line so they can cobble as much of that 45% together as they can, right now they stand at about 33-35% with the rest split among UKIP (ca. 5%) and the remaining Lib Dems (ca. 5%). Pushing the cuts line and forcing Labour to either match them (like they did) pushes natural Labour voters towards the Greens or banging on about Tory cuts will concentrate the minds of that 5% of UKIP voters who are open to austerity who may be willing to lend the Tories their vote in order to ensure fiscal conservatism. It is pretty blatant that Labour have seen it like I have because Ed Balls was out on TV and radio today signing up to all of Osborne's budget measures in full. Labour are going to campaign on the NHS and nothing more, they will avoid the economy as much as they possibly can and when it does come up they will talk about marginal tax rises like the mansion tax and talk about extra spending rather than unwinding any specific cuts, even the "bedroom tax" hasn't had a mention today.
  • Options
    Former Australian PM Malcolm Fraser has died http://www.abc.net.au/news/
  • Options

For those brave betters who have money on Dan Jarvis as next leader, a nicely timed Sun piece:

He could win Labour the 2020 election.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Did anybody find out when it was that Yvette Cooper really needed to draw benefits like she claimed? I hope she didn't do the naughty thing that a lot of students did back in the day where they signed on in the holidays and then take some cash in hand job.

I thought his dad was a bus driver, then owned a clothing store:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2771477/Could-Sajid-Javid-Britain-s-Asian-Prime-Minister-His-parents-arrived-just-1-s-minister-That-s-man-believes-immigrants-natural-Tories.html

So I am not sure what you mean by his background. Perhaps you are mistaking him for the public school boys that were on the panel.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

So I am not sure what you mean by his background. Perhaps you are mistaking him for the public school boys that were on the panel.
    Not sure if crossed wires or a joke I am missing. But I am well aware of his background and that is why I said it was extremely likely he did have crappy holiday jobs (like most people from normal backgrounds).

My worst was packing spuds in potato processing factory. 10hrs a day, 6 days a week, shifting 4 tonnes of spuds an hour for I think £3 / hr. Forget the gym, never been as fit after that summer! I believe the kids term is as "carrying carpets".
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,904
    The Labour leader has got one of his three arguments on the economy right, only to be outmanoeuvred.

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21646764-george-osborne-aims-kick-labours-strongest-economic-argument-ed-milibands-one-legged-stool
  • Options
    @MaxPB

Balls has refused to change the budget cuts because otherwise he`ll be accused of wanting to borrow more which is the Tories` only campaign weapon.

And we are just going to have to disagree on some things.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The bet is next leader, so that would fit (if we stick to the utterly mad fixed term parliaments).
  • Options

Nah, probably working unpaid/"minimum wage" from age 13 in his dad's shop if my Asian upbringing is anything to go by.
  • Options
    Jesus Christ, Diane Abbott is a hateful creature
  • Options

Not sure if crossed wires or a joke I am missing. But I am well aware of his background and that is why I said it was extremely likely he did have crappy holiday jobs (like most people from normal backgrounds).

My worst was packing spuds in potato processing factory. 10hrs a day, 6 days a week, shifting 4 tonnes of spuds an hour for I think £3 / hr. Forget the gym, never been as fit after that summer! I believe the kids term is as "carrying carpets".
    I mis-pasted the link, I have replaced it in the edit.

Without going all Four Yorkshireman; I was paid £1.50 per hour in 1983, working in a Wimpy bar. After cleaning out the congealed fat in a deep fat fryer, I would have loved to be picking potatoes in the fresh air.

Though not many Britons of any age or class are willing to do these jobs now, that is what we have Poles and Lithuanians for...
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    isam said:

Young Nihal killing her. BBC have a real star there.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MaxPB said:

Nah, probably working unpaid/"minimum wage" from age 13 in his dad's shop if my Asian upbringing is anything to go by.
    You may say that, but I didn't see the Trevor Philiphs show this evening, so I am not sure if I am allowed these days to cast such racial sterotyping aspersions :-)
  • Options

Will Self worked as a road-sweeper in early life (according to Telegraph write-up). Probably not minimum wage, but not exactly banking.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He has been an MP for 4 years and has been a shadow minister of state (since when have they been official roles?) for two years with no prior role in either the party or politics generally. Its a bit previous to be tipping him for the leadership if Miliband gets defeated. He's still a novice.
  • Options
    saddo said:

isam said:

Young Nihal killing her. BBC have a real star there.
    By young you mean in his 40's.....But I quite like Nihal, I have heard him stand up to people that many more recognized and experienced broadcasters seem afraid challenge.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

You may say that, but I didn't see the Trevor Philiphs show this evening, so I am not sure if I am allowed these days to cast such racial sterotyping aspersions :-)
    I worked for pocket money making networking cables in my Dad's two-man business back in the day. Back then when you were 14 or 15 getting enough to buy an LP was a great adventure.
  • Options

Will Self worked as a road-sweeper in early life (according to Telegraph write-up). Probably not minimum wage, but not exactly banking.
    Was that after he left Oxford with a third in PPE, following his Public School?

If so it sounds more like Polly Toynbees research on the low paid than a career choice.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    isam said:

I gather she said something racist yet again. What was it?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,667
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: Excl: Budget wins Tories a poll bounce: up 3 points to lead by 2 - CON 35%, LAB 33%, UKIP 13%, LD 8%, GRN 6% (1/2) http://t.co/aK8oea32pg

Must be an outlier :)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

He has been an MP for 4 years and has been a shadow minister of state (since when have they been official roles?) for two years with no prior role in either the party or politics generally. Its a bit previous to be tipping him for the leadership if Miliband gets defeated. He's still a novice.
    Quite probably. But as I argued earlier today when he was at 24/1 - Labour may be desperately seeking an energetic novel leader who has no soiled hands and can connect if it all goes Pete Tong on 8th May.
  • Options
    isam said:

Why what did she say?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: Excl: Budget wins Tories a poll bounce: up 3 points to lead by 2 - CON 35%, LAB 33%, UKIP 13%, LD 8%, GRN 6% (1/2) http://t.co/aK8oea32pg

Still, I hope it has been given a PB Golden Rule up-weighting in the ELBOW :)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Is Diane Abbott still thinking of running for Mayor of London? I think I would literally vote for anybody but her.
  • Options
    Fox He claims only to have attended 2 lectures, his period as a roadsweeper was when he briefly worked for the GLC before becoming a cartoonist
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Self
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Fox He claims only to have attended 2 lectures, his period as a roadsweeper was when he briefly worked for the GLC before becoming a cartoonist
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Self

so he is lazy as well as arrogant?

• Options

isam said:

Why what did she say?
    Young guy from BBC Asia absolutely slaughtered her on her out of date beliefs on race, while Andrew Neil got her on the 'whites like to divide and rule' quote. Portillo was sniggering at her ineptitude

She basically doesn't believe the rotherham reports that councils were scared to act because of race, criticised Trevor Phillips for daring to tell the truth and tried to tell the young Asian guy he was naive for not being a militant bore like her

Watch it on iplayer, she is a fat see you next Tuesday
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MP_SE said:
    Arhh the old "well you can't get it all into 140 characters" bollocks. Racist statement, end of. I can quote a whole load of other racist statements she has made.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited March 2015

Is Diane Abbott still thinking of running for Mayor of London? I think I would literally vote for anybody but her.

The other potential candidate isn't much better, arguably worse. I would rather a racist than this:

http://order-order.com/2013/12/09/their-friendship-aside-sadiq-khan-still-has-ahmad-questions/
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MP_SE said:

The other potential candidate isn't much better, arguably worse. I would rather a racist than this:

http://order-order.com/2013/12/09/their-friendship-aside-sadiq-khan-still-has-ahmad-questions/
    Alien vs Predator....Has Lammy dropped out of the race? Can't Labour find a half decent not dodgy not racist candidate?
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015

Pulpstar said:

Quite probably. But as I argued earlier today when he was at 24/1 - Labour may be desperately seeking an energetic novel leader who has no soiled hands and can connect if it all goes Pete Tong on 8th May.
    But to do that anyone would still have to have roots in the party to actually win the leaders contest. Jarvis has no roots in the party. Not only that I cannot see a former soldier winning in a party that generally disapproves of war. The resistance to him would be significant especially as he served in Iraq.

My own view. The next Labour leader will be a woman.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    MP_SE said:

I've backed Sadiq Khan and Tessa Jowell as the main two in my Mayoral book for this one, some small punts on Goldsmith and Lord Coe - Coe mainly because I think he's one of the few Conservatives that could win there.

Don't think Abbott has a prayer.
  • Options
    Coe obviously going for IAAF job - 4-6 vs Bubka 11-10 for that one. No idea which is value.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Alien vs Predator....Has Lammy dropped out of the race? Can't Labour find a half decent not dodgy not racist candidate?
    London would benefit from a non white conservative mayor .. If Lammy, khan or Abbott win we are done for as a cohesive city

Maybe even Trevor Phillips as an independent?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Anecdote canvassing again tonight. Con held marginal constituency under 1000 majority. Not finding *any* slippage, was in a ward tonight that has a very strong labour base. Picking up discontent. People who voted last time labour this time not voting. Went to a house with a jag in the drive. Guy proudly says he's ukip. I asked if he voted ukip last time, no, he said he voted Labour.

What happens to the lib vote, ukip vote, green vote, and how it impacts Labour Ive no idea, but im pretty sure the Cons are going to at least maintain the percent they got last time in this constituency.

I would be interested what experience Labour canvassers are having, they must be picking this up in their figures.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MP_SE said:

I've backed Sadiq Khan and Tessa Jowell as the main two in my Mayoral book for this one, some small punts on Goldsmith and Lord Coe - Coe mainly because I think he's one of the few Conservatives that could win there.

Don't think Abbott has a prayer.
    Friend of the terrorist and wife of a crook. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    isam said:

MP_SE said:

London would benefit from a non white conservative mayor .. If Lammy, khan or Abbott win we are done for as a cohesive city

Shaun Bailey?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Bailey
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

If so it sounds more like Polly Toynbees research on the low paid than a career choice.
    Maybe it was a bit like on Question Time when Yvette Cooper was letting the audience know that she had experienced hardship, that she knew what it was like to be powerless and unemployed, claiming the dole.

I checked up on her entries in wikipedia. Her great experiences of the dole was the summer between finishing her degree at Oxford, and starting a postgrad at harvard.

Its like closing your eyes for ten seconds, and saying you now know what its like to be blind.
  • Options

isam said:

MP_SE said:

Shaun Bailey?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaun_Bailey
    Heart in the right place, utterly useless at the game of politics.
  • Options
    notme said:

Maybe it was a bit like on Question Time when Yvette Cooper was letting the audience know that she had experienced hardship, that she knew what it was like to be powerless and unemployed, claiming the dole.

I checked up on her entries in wikipedia. Her great experiences of the dole was the summer between finishing her degree at Oxford, and starting a postgrad at harvard.

Its like closing your eyes for ten seconds, and saying you now know what its like to be blind.
    To be fair, if she spent all her money partying at uni (as I did), and you have to wait 6 months for a job, it can be pretty difficult! ;)
  • Options
    notme said:

To be fair, if she spent all her money partying at uni (as I did), and you have to wait 6 months for a job, it can be pretty difficult! ;)
  • Options
    isam said:

MP_SE said:

Thanks for pointing out the 91% book on Great Yarmouth btw :)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing opinion polls. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! I just... DO things.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Do I really look like a guy with a plan? You know what I am? I'm a dog chasing opinion polls. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! I just... DO things.
    You'd give it the ELBOW, surely?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Don't forget the current employment levels as well, nothing makes you feel more financially secure than having a secure job.
    chestnut said:

I presume the lack of Tom Newton Dunn's tweets on post budget polling it will be Labour +1/+2.

I'm still not confident Ozzy / Cammie got this right for the tories. Last time the tories sorted out the economy and went to the country for more of the same they got a pasting. will people really want 5 more yrs austerity or might they say 'ta very much for sorting it now's time to chill and be nicer to people'? Don't know to be truthful but I was a bit disappointed by the budget if I'm honest.
    Labour were 25-30 points clear in March 1997. They won by 10.

They start level this time.

Austerity? 0% interest rates, frozen council tax, TV tax, falling food and petrol prices and tax free pay to £11k?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Oh, you look nervous. Is it the ELBOWS? You want to know how I got them?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Thank god it's no longer Victorian times!!
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Thank god it's no longer Victorian times!!
    I believe whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger!
  • Options
    Fox I think he spent most of his time at university working on a leftwing magazine
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited March 2015
    Indeed, lol. :)

Ed Miliband Failing To Get Message Out Because Of Right-Wing Media Bias, Says Alastair Campbell

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03/19/ed-miliband-alastair-campbell_n_6901032.html

lol

Why do you bother with the insults towards Jim Murphy? All it does is confirm your immediate bias towards him, and it therefore immediately undermines any criticism you then offer about him as a politician. You then go onto ask if 'he will take a break from his 6 media appearances a day', which again further undermines your criticism as its obvious he garnering a lot a media coverage in Scotland. That very telling comment tells us that this very astute politician is actually quite good at his job, and he also knows how to get his message out to the media with maximum exposure.
    Dair said:

Survation a go go.

David Clegg ‏@davieclegg 48s48 seconds ago
    New @Survation / Daily Record poll Westminster voting intention: SNP 47%; LAB 26%; CON 16%; LD 4%; OTHER 7% #GE2015

Lol even bigger lead in the second Survation Scotland VI.

Creepy Jim must be ready to throw in the towel. Perhaps he will take a break from his 6 media appearances a day.
  • Options
    Did anyone else feel that Danny Alexander's swan-song to a nearly empty HoC yesterday just rather sad and poignant?
    In a few days time he will no longer be an MP ..... perhaps his seemingly pointless speech had some end purpose after all - in helping him to obtain gainful employment in the weeks and months ahead.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited March 2015
    fitalass said:

Why do you bother with the insults towards Jim Murphy? All it does is confirm your immediate bias towards him, and it therefore immediately undermines any criticism you then offer about him as a politician. You then go onto ask if 'he will take a break from his 6 media appearances a day', which again further undermines your criticism as its obvious he garnering a lot a media coverage in Scotland. That very telling comment tells us that this very astute politician is actually quite good at his job, and he also knows how to get his message out to the media with maximum exposure.

You really don't get it. He is running around like a blue arsed fly and it's having one effect - Labour support is draining away. He's done nothing to close the gap, it's getting wider.

It's fairly straight forward for him to get publicity. BBC Scotland is closely tied to the Scottish Labour party machine with plenty of placepeople in position after years of nepotistic Labour rule in Scotland. But the message has to have an impact.

It has none.

Meanwhile, it is genuinely comical to watch him run about, blundering from one misjudged media appearance to another. Laughing at his bizarre choice of Champion Values - in most cases he's running after issues where the polling suggests he is on a loser. 90% of people support Anti-Sectarian law, huge majorities support the football drink ban. He's a poor communicator and comes across very badly. The more exposure his whispering gets, the better for his opponents.

I'm perfectly happy for him to continue doing what he's doing. I'll even help him out filling in his expenses claims if it keeps him doing it. Most Independence and SNP supporters would. But if you prefer to keep your illusion that he's somehow "good at his job" and being effective in what he does, good luck to ya.
  • Options
    YouGov did two polls in the same weekend for the Sun on Sunday and Sunday Times two months ago.
  • Options
    In fact it was three - one for the Friday edition of the Sun (fieldwork end 15th January), and the Sunday Times (end 16th), and the Sun on Sunday (also the 15th).
  • Options
    A multi-million pound government IT system to process EU subsidy payments for farmers has been largely abandoned following "performance problems".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31976230
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    fitalass

Exclusive: Bombshell Daily Record poll shows majority of Scots now support independence

General Election
    OUR stunning survey shows Yes would win a new referendum while our poll also points to the SNP winning an astonishing 53 of Scotland's 59 seats in May.

THIS IS TODAY'S RECORD FRONT PAGE. THE RECORD IS THE ARCH UNIONIST PAPER OF THE "VOW". WHATEVER YOU MAY SAY IT'S TIME TO START MEASURING THE CURTAINS FOR COMRADE MURPHY - AND THESE ARE NOT FOR BUTE HOUSE.

HE CAMPAIGNED TO TAKE JOHANN LAMONT'S JOB. UNFORTUNATELY FOR HIM HE IS LESS EFFCETIVE THAN SHE WAS!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Hillary 2016. There was an article a few days ago claiming that the White House was the source of the Hillary email story in the NYT, and that the WH would continue to drip new scandals to the media. This new story, on another Clinton broken pledge to Obama which again plays to the secretive Clinton nature, certainly fits with that narrative, given that the ultimate source has to be someone with access to State Department records.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/19/us-usa-clinton-donations-idUSKBN0MF2FQ20150319
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3003148/Don-t-day-job-Nick-dram-fan-Clegg-hams-filming-Lib-Dem-election-broadcast.html

Arhhhh so that is where Nick went when Danny was in full flow....I can't wait for the finished production :-)
This discussion has been closed.