Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TNS poll has the Tories ahead whilst their appears to be pr

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited March 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TNS poll has the Tories ahead whilst their appears to be progress on the debates

Latest @TNS_UK poll out

Con 33 (+5) Lab 32 (-3) LD 7 (+1) UKIP 17 (-1) Greens 4 (-3)

http://t.co/6OZfbbWkwQ

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    edited March 2015
    Game, set and match for Cam?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited March 2015
    FPT

So the broadcasters came to Cameron with an offer of everything he wanted, he accepted it, and announced it.

Now the rest are left squealing.

Lucky for them Dave isn't any good at this negotiation lark, eh?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @GIN1138
    You think?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,273
    Where is the win for Clegg in this?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984
    Third!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Scott_P said:

FPT

So the broadcasters came to Cameron with an offer of everything he wanted, he accepted it, and announced it.

Not quite. He didn't want it during the actual election period. But that was probably all part of the bluffing.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@GIN1138
    You think?

Other than sevensome being April 2nd rather than March 26th, looks like Cam has got everything he wanted...

Assuming this is the final word on the matter of course.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    "their"?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Scott_P said:

FPT

Cameron: I'll be in the same studio as Weak Ed but I refuse to talk to him on camera
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Debates

Clue is in the Title
  • Options
    @Scott_P
    So Scott, what has actually been agreed?
    Dave can take part in the seven way, then what?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

"their"?

Auto-correct (but corrected now)

I shall exile myself to conhome for a week as penance.
  • Options

Not quite. He didn't want it during the actual election period. But that was probably all part of the bluffing.

Well, he didn't want the debates to distract from the campaign, which of course they couldn't do if they happened before, but Easter weekend nobody is going to be thinking campaign anyway.

Least worst option in that respect.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Freggles said:

Scott_P said:

FPT

Cameron: I'll be in the same studio as Weak Ed but I refuse to talk to him on camera
    No different than the arrangement for the 2005 election;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/frontpage/4492727.stm

Seemed to work OK that time...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Debates

Clue is in the Title

All the leaders are going to mass debate together.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Freggles said:

Scott_P said:

FPT

No different than the arrangement for the 2005 election;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/frontpage/4492727.stm

Seemed to work OK that time...
    Decent format but not a debate. Cluck cluck
  • Options

Included in the final leaders debate
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    More importantly what does this mean for debate betting?
  • Options
    @Big_G_NorthWales
    "Nick" I agree with Dave should be worth a snigger, either that, or with nothing to lose he will kick him in the nutz.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,859
    Fair play to Cameron if this final reported set up is true, he'll have done well out of this.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The terms were that Dave and Ed has to appear in at least one debate together.

So if you backed there would be debate(s) then you should be a winner.

If you, like me, backed there would be no debates, well we're losers.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Over to you Ed M...
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    How has a weighting (rather than a reallocation) made so much difference to the TNS figures? How can you conduct a survey that accidentally but consistently over-targets non-Tory 2014 voters?
  • Options
    A Labour source told the BBC there had been no formal proposal for a new TV election format and they had accepted the three debates proposal made last month.

"Based on the broadcasters' proposals we have accepted and plan to attend all three debates on April 2nd, 16th and the 30th," a spokesman said.

"If the Tories have confirmed they are to attend one of these debates then that is progress. It is one down, two to go. But no-one should be fooled. David Cameron is still running scared of a head-to-head televised debate with Ed Miliband."

The Liberal Democrats said it was "welcome news" that the Conservatives had "finally agreed" to take part in "at least" one debate.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

How has a weighting (rather than a reallocation) made so much difference to the TNS figures? How can you conduct a survey that accidentally but consistently over-targets non-Tory 2014 voters?

In 2014, the Tories finished third, with less than 30% of the vote, back in 2010 they came first with around 37% of the vote.

So previously TNS were down weighthing the Tories and boosting Lab and UKIP
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

A Labour source told the BBC there had been no formal proposal for a new TV election format and they had accepted the three debates proposal made last month.

"Based on the broadcasters' proposals we have accepted and plan to attend all three debates on April 2nd, 16th and the 30th," a spokesman said.

"If the Tories have confirmed they are to attend one of these debates then that is progress. It is one down, two to go. But no-one should be fooled. David Cameron is still running scared of a head-to-head televised debate with Ed Miliband."

The Liberal Democrats said it was "welcome news" that the Conservatives had "finally agreed" to take part in "at least" one debate.

UKIP also say they've had no new offer.
    I will be disappointed if Dave isn't empty chaired to be honest
  • Options
    edited March 2015

MaxPB said:

:burnsexcellent:
  • Options
    a) debate - definition, meaning, audio pronunciation, synonyms and more. What is debate? (a) serious discussion of a subject in which many people take part.

b) interview A formal meeting in person, especially one arranged for the assessment of the qualifications of an applicant.

c) Head to Head definition Involving two parties confronting each other.

Simple really Cowardly Cameron is running scared of 3*a)

Cowardly Cameron wants b) despite saying originally he wanted 3*a) including one c)

Cowardly Cameron says Ed is weak and Lab policies are rubbish but still wants to avoid c) as he is a chicken.

Simples
  • Options
    @Freggles
    That was never on the cards, though it would be fairly obvious he wasn't there.
    The phrase "have signed up for" could prove awkward for Dave as the election progresses, depending if the others had signed contracts, other than them using it as a figure of speech.
  • Options

As are all 7 parties if cowardly Cameron has anything to do with it. (one debate Dave)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Top Gear cleared over Pike's Peak pun

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31922773

How can it take over a year to come to decision on this?
  • Options
    Refreshing to see leftists on here moan at how unfair it all is. They don't like it up em.
  • Options
    EastwingerEastwinger Posts: 351
    Freggles said:

Smarmeron said:

You are most certainly in for a disappointment as this is never going to happen.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Somebodies telling porkies about the debates....

Prime Minister has said he was made formal offer as PM on Saturday. James Harding can confirm or deny.
  • Options
    @bigjohnowls
    No John. we are missing the strategic "win" for Dave, last week he was definitely not doing the debates, this week he is.
    It shows his strength and resolve.
    (like cast iron it is)
  • Options
    @FrancisUrquhart
    Yes, someone is.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Freggles said:

Smarmeron said:

I think that's how this is going to end up. The Conservatives have backed themselves into a corner, and will either have to be empty chaired or do a big u-turn. They are playing the public for fools when they come out with lines like the one tweeted by David Jack above. It's a play that simply is not sustainable.
  • Options
    Is anyone here yet?
  • Options
    Can't fault Dave's chutzpah: “The other parties have got to stop running away from this, and accept the deal"

Wow. That is pretty ballsy of him. No one was run as hard or as much as him, and everyone knows that. That he might have managed to get a good deal for himself doesn't change that, but again, fair play to him for seeing the funny side, if that comment is anything to go by,
  • Options
    The country where you can choose your tax rate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31907670

Just a LOL read...including...

''Now then.'' The tax boss asks Mr Kante to brief him about my case. Both men pore over a calculator and come up with a figure of 236,160 francs ($380, £260).

''Hmm, I would like to have seen a rounder figure,'' says Mr Kantako eventually. ''And the pound is strong - I think we would like 300,000 francs ($485, £327) from you.'' He gives me the same open look as you get when buying almost anything in Mali. As much as to say: "That's my offer what's yours?"

''Oh, and we'll want that in cash,'' he says, "but you will be given a receipt."
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Is anyone here yet?

Sure you are in the right pub :-)
  • Options
    "Earlier this month Mr Cameron rejected taking part in a head-to-head with Labour's Ed Miliband and said his "final offer" was to participate in a seven-way debate with the leaders of Labour, the Lib Dems, UKIP, the Green Party, the SNP and Plaid Cymru before the end of March."
    Is his new offer the final final one?
  • Options

As are all 7 parties if cowardly Cameron has anything to do with it. (one debate Dave)
    No - there will be a three way final programme to include David Cameron, Ed Miliband AND Nick Clegg who has been reported as delighted with the new format
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Is anyone here yet?

Shooting star Liverpool street?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    MaxPB said:

Is anyone here yet?

I've decided to brave the PB hordes (or horde).

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

"Earlier this month Mr Cameron rejected taking part in a head-to-head with Labour's Ed Miliband and said his "final offer" was to participate in a seven-way debate with the leaders of Labour, the Lib Dems, UKIP, the Green Party, the SNP and Plaid Cymru before the end of March."
    Is his new offer the final final one?

The only difference is the date.

• Options
    @Big_G_NorthWales
    Of course, some might reasonably ask why the leader of a "minor" party should get star billing?
    And indeed, might complain very loudly.
  • Options
    @Eastwinger
    Right.......but he was adamant last week? why the change of heart do you think?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Nothing worse than being Mr no mates until everybody decides to arrive fashionably late
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Eastwinger
    Right.......but he was adamant last week? why the change of heart do you think?

I take it you never negotiation deals with anybody then...The change in date is here nor there, it is basically a few days different.
  • Options
    @taffys
    The style thing is to make it look like you are in someone else's company, then reluctantly leave that group to join the newcomers.
    ( and hope no one notices the puzzled looks on the faces of the crowd you are leaving when you wish them farewell)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Is anyone here yet?

Isn't it the Seven Stars? ;-)

• Options
    @FrancisUrquhart
    It was a few days last week as well.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

Is anyone here yet?

I've decided to brave the PB hordes (or horde).

Good for you Ms Cyclefree, I'm sure you'll be made most welcome. - word of advice, don't accept a lift home from JohnO :)
  • Options
    @TelegraphNews: Leaders' debate: Nigel Farage accuses the broadcasters of "dancing to David Cameron's tune" http://t.co/rHOEKBpqf2 http://t.co/LW0g2Rz9f8

Nige claiming Dave has managed to negotiate something in his favour...

Gone a bit off message then
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Big_G_NorthWales
    Of course, some might reasonably ask why the leader of a "minor" party should get star billing?
    And indeed, might complain very loudly.</blockquote

It seems David Cameron and Nick Clegg have agreed the final programme but Ed Miliband is prevaricating which is more of a problem for him. The debates and their format as now proposed are very different and it will be interesting to see if any party decides to mount a legal challenge but it wont be the conservatives or lib dems

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129

MaxPB said:

Hang on to those betting slips. Still plenty of time for UKIP's lawyers to scupper it.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Smarmeron said:

@bigjohnowls
    No John. we are missing the strategic "win" for Dave, last week he was definitely not doing the debates, this week he is.
    It shows his strength and resolve.
    (like cast iron it is)

No. He was always doing a debate, singular. He won. Deal with it.

TNS by the way.
  • Options
    There is an episode of Yes minister where Jim Hacker wants to do something Sir Humphrey doesn't want him to.

So Hacker announces it to the press.... Sir Humphrey couldn't contradict him.

Cameron announces on TV that he has agreed to the new debate format formally presented by the broadcasters at the weekend.

Now Ed and the broadcasters can either agree they have been agreed, or run away crying.

Right now Ed is looking for his hanky...

• Options
    @ChrisMasonBBC: UKIP: "The only proposal that we are aware of from the broadcasters was for 3 debates, 2 of which UKIP were invited to..."

@ChrisMasonBBC: UKIP: "...We intend to turn up for those two debates."
  • Options
    @Big_G_NorthWales
    For a start, Nick has shot the Lib Dems in the foot if he comes across as toadying to Dave?
    As for the rest of them, the can say they agreed to the previous format and Dave said no, so they don't have to accommodate his change of mind.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ChrisMasonBBC: UKIP: "The only proposal that we are aware of from the broadcasters was for 3 debates, 2 of which UKIP were invited to..."

That reminds me of UKIP carnival of colour during the Euros :-)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,075
    Philip Johnstone on how an Osborne giveaway budget is unlikely to have much impact. Contrary to received wisdom the Lamont budget of 1992 or the Jenkins budgets of 1970 had little impact with the Tories on 38-40% from 1990 until 3 months before polling day and Labour trailing from 1967 until Spring 1http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/11475648/Budget-memo-to-George-Osborne-Giveaways-dont-always-work.html970
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: At last! Broadcasters statement: 'We welcome David Cameron’s willingness to participate in the first TV debate on April 2nd...'

@paulwaugh: But add: "The broadcasters are continuing to work with all political parties on progs scheduled for March 26, April 16 and April 30"

They offered it to Cameron, who agreed it and announced it.
  • Options
    @Ishmael_X
    What about TNS? Have I missed something important?
  • Options
    SNP also not happy.
  • Options
    Sam, Justine, Miriam..please please please please...just don't....whatever the spin doctors say...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31917478
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Scott_P said:

That reminds me of UKIP carnival of colour during the Euros :-)
    Winston McKenzie did a brilliant job - he'll go far in UKIP...!
  • Options

Sam, Justine, Miriam..please please please please...just don't....whatever the spin doctors say...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31917478

Seconded.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: At last! Broadcasters statement: 'We welcome David Cameron’s willingness to participate in the first TV debate on April 2nd...'

@paulwaugh: But add: "The broadcasters are continuing to work with all political parties on progs scheduled for March 26, April 16 and April 30"

I better get that empty chair with Cameron written in big letters on the front back out of the garage.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Big_G_NorthWales
    For a start, Nick has shot the Lib Dems in the foot if he comes across as toadying to Dave?
    As for the rest of them, the can say they agreed to the previous format and Dave said no, so they don't have to accommodate his change of mind.

And then there was one debate but David Cameron and Nick Clegg can say they accepted the new broadcast proposals leaving the rest with the problem - that's politics
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Con lead with TNS isn't a result I expected to see.

I can't make tonight's gathering, and hope you all have a good time.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SNP also not happy.

As far as I can tell they only have two modes in any case, insofar as official responses go - 'not happy' and 'smugly satisfied'.
  • Options
    @Big_G_NorthWales
    Politics yes Jim, but not as we know it.
  • Options
    @Sean_F

"It appears as though TNS big move from to CON one might be partly due to methodology change. No mention now weighting back to 2014 Euros"
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The TNS is a real turn up for the books.

Their Wisdom index has Tory largest party and the sample suggests that around a quarter of under 35's don't know if they are registered to vote. London is the worst region for that.

The biggest VI saying they aren't registered are Labour, seven times as many as the Tories.

• Options
    (Just For Fun) Tonight's YouGov prediction:

Con Lead 3%
  • Options
    @chestnut
    Yes, that was a smart move, along with the above inflation increase in election spend.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I better get that empty chair with Cameron written in big letters on the front back out of the garage.
    So it sounds like little has changed. The broadcasters are still planning three debates, Cameron has agreed to the first one, and will have to decide whether he will turn up or not for the second and third.

It seems like the second one can just go ahead with the other six parties. The third debate is more questionable, as the broadcasters will be unable to go ahead with just Miliband. The most likely outcome is the broadcasters extending an invite to Clegg and Farage for that debate. That will be very dangerous for David Cameron, as a Clegg, Farage and Miliband final debate may well be seen as the main event.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited March 2015
    chestnut said:

The TNS is a real turn up for the books.

Their Wisdom index has Tory largest party and the sample suggests that around a quarter of under 35's don't know if they are registered to vote. London is the worst region for that.

The biggest VI saying they aren't registered are Labour, seven times as many as the Tories.

But have those people not registered then been excluding from the headline voting intention figures?

Surely they should be. Or at least the vast majority of them - say 80% - if we assume 20% do subsequently register.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

That looks good for Cameron.

Under the initial proposal there was NO programme on 26 March.

Whereas now they have specifically referred to 26 March.

Which means, by definition, they have now confirmed that they have changed their original proposal.
  • Options
    @MikeL
    Six days time? I can foresee some tooth sucking and diary searching.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Smarmeron said:

@Sean_F

"It appears as though TNS big move from to CON one might be partly due to methodology change. No mention now weighting back to 2014 Euros"

Or simply reversion to the mean, which we've seen with Populus, ICM, and Ashcroft this week.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@MikeL
    Six days time? I can foresee some tooth sucking and diary searching.

Nine days time - Thursday next week.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Scott_P said:

So it sounds like little has changed. The broadcasters are still planning three debates, Cameron has agreed to the first one, and will have to decide whether he will turn up or not for the second and third.

It seems like the second one can just go ahead with the other six parties. The third debate is more questionable, as the broadcasters will be unable to go ahead with just Miliband. The most likely outcome is the broadcasters extending an invite to Clegg and Farage for that debate. That will be very dangerous for David Cameron, as a Clegg, Farage and Miliband final debate may well be seen as the main event.
    The debate offer has changed to 7 way debate on 2nd April agreed by David Cameron, a Challenger debate with SNP - UKIP - Greens and Plaid on the 16th April and a three way programme with David Cameron, Ed Miliband and Nick Clegg on the 30th April. David Cameron and Nick Clegg are reported to have agreed to this new offer from the broadcasters
  • Options
    @Sean_F
    Whatever....A change in methodology usually makes previous polls bad for comparison.
    But you might wish to differ.
  • Options
    Well it sounds like Cameron and Clegg have shafted everybody else and that the TV stations have crawled up Dave's backside (when toenails was on sick leave as well).

Frankly the whole affair has become so sordid now I doubt I will bother with any of it and i suspect neither will most voters. I have no interest in watching dumb & dumber do their solo acts or the minority sects spend however long talking nonsense about the other parties and making deranged assertions about what will never happen and 7 was always too many to have any sensible sort of debate in 2 hours. I'll be boycotting the lot and hope that in future Ofcom and the Electoral Commission are allowed to step in and take control of this because all this is doing is bringing further disrepute upon our electoral system
  • Options
    JEO said:

Scott_P said:

The proposals to which Cam has agreed for April 16th and 30th are not debates.

• Options
    @Eastwinger
    And Cam gets to dictate terms to the lesser mortals?
    That is going to look good for a Prime Minister who is rumoured to be aloof and out of touch.
  • Options

Well it sounds like Cameron and Clegg have shafted everybody else and that the TV stations have crawled up Dave's backside (when toenails was on sick leave as well).

Frankly the whole affair has become so sordid now I doubt I will bother with any of it and i suspect neither will most voters. I have no interest in watching dumb & dumber do their solo acts or the minority sects spend however long talking nonsense about the other parties and making deranged assertions about what will never happen and 7 was always too many to have any sensible sort of debate in 2 hours. I'll be boycotting the lot and hope that in future Ofcom and the Electoral Commission are allowed to step in and take control of this because all this is doing is bringing further disrepute upon our electoral system

The danger for labour is that if they attempt to block the new proposals it will be seen as a big win for David Cameron
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Eastwinger
    That is going to look good for a Prime Minister who is rumoured to be aloof and out of touch.

Seems unlikely to have that much impact IMO. All sides have complained about things and tried to get the best format for themselves, and Cameron has whinged and changed his demands the most. That specifically may have damaged him a bit, but if he managed to get his way, then it just means he played the game the best is all, and I don't see how it makes him look any worse. If anything if he gets his way it makes his earlier tantrums about the matter retroactively seem more justified than they were.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Eastwinger

Get real, the broadcasters aren't stupid. They know that they don't have much of a program without the PM being included. They obviously have to compromise to get any kind of a show for the viewers.

I can understand why Labour aren't happy about it but they are not the ones holding the cards.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941

The danger for labour is that if they attempt to block the new proposals it will be seen as a big win for David Cameron
    SNP, UKIP and Adam Boulton unhappy at the new proposals too.
  • Options
    @Big_G_NorthWales
    Nope, no one else will decide before next week, and then with one thing and another, it might cause a conflict with a prior arrangement.
    ("prior" as in "maximum convenience")
  • Options

JEO said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, it seems like Cameron has agreed to attend the first debate, and in addition two other events, but has not agreed to the second and third debates. I suspect the second and third debates will still go ahead without him. So we may well get a separate event with Cameron preceding a debate with everyone else on the 16th and the 30th.
  • Options

Well i don't expect them to be blocked but frankly its a disgrace. All the TV stations should be severely censured for this. TV ststions must not be allowed to hijack election campaigns again!
  • Options
    JEO said:

JEO said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, it seems like Cameron has agreed to attend the first debate, and in addition two other events, but has not agreed to the second and third debates. I suspect the second and third debates will still go ahead without him. So we may well get a separate event with Cameron preceding a debate with everyone else on the 16th and the 30th.
    I think we can be confident that the 2nd and 3rd debates under the original format won't happen.

• Options

Smarmeron said:

@Eastwinger

Get real, the broadcasters aren't stupid. They know that they don't have much of a program without the PM being included. They obviously have to compromise to get any kind of a show for the viewers.

I can understand why Labour aren't happy about it but they are not the ones holding the cards.

Our elections aint that scumbag Cameron's toy!
  • Options

Well i don't expect them to be blocked but frankly its a disgrace. All the TV stations should be severely censured for this. TV ststions must not be allowed to hijack election campaigns again!
    The TV stations should make an announcement on plans for debates in future elections now, including the precise criteria for inclusion in each one. If candidates choose not to turn up, they don't turn up. That will prevent one party from messing the whole thing about so much in future.
This discussion has been closed.