Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON moves back to a 10 seat lead on the SPIN spread markets

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JohnRentoul: Good friend @rob_marchant explains why EdM should have ruled out an SNP pact (too late now, of course) http://t.co/z6ZIvsXddy
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2015

Apart from this one

Roads petition breaks a million
    M6 Toll Road
    Ministers are mulling plans for "pay-as-you-drive" scheme
    More than one million people have signed an online petition against plans to introduce road charging in the UK.
    The petition, which is the most popular on the Downing Street website, calls for the scrapping of "planned vehicle tracking and road pricing policy"

+Jezza.

In other words, the most important issue in the UK is Man + Car.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2015

I thought and hoped this was a Clarkson free thread. Has he actually murdered anyone or committed Cyril Smith levels of abuse?

Smearing someone who is dead and unable therefore to defend themselves . What a pusillanimous little SH1TE you are
    You're defending the notorious kiddie fiddler Cyril Smith? Really? Disgusting.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

I thought and hoped this was a Clarkson free thread. Has he actually murdered anyone or committed Cyril Smith levels of abuse?

Smearing someone who is dead and unable therefore to defend themselves . What a pusillanimous little SH1TE you are
    Mahoosive self awareness bypass.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @chestnut
    It kind of makes sense, the majority of the country would become housebound if they lost their car.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Smearing someone who is dead and unable therefore to defend themselves .
    Like Jimmy Savile, you mean?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,039
    Mr. T, disagree on Clarkson's petition being about cars/roads. It's about people who feel they get very little from the BBC despite funding it (not unlike bin collection being the only thing people often feel they get from the council) and are pissed off Top Gear might cease altogether.

There's an added layer of loathing political correctness.
  • Options
    @Morris_Dancer
    Swinging a punch at someone because your dinner is not on the table is frowned upon these days.
    I know you don't do "modern" history, but it has been so for quite a while .
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    test
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@chestnut
    It kind of makes sense, the majority of the country would become housebound if they lost their car.

If you move outside of London, you pretty much need a car, which is one of the reasons why London-centric decision making or power brokers is a problem.

The rest of the country doesn't have a dozen tube lines and hundreds of bus routes that run 24 hours a day.

• Options
    Lib Dem Scandal on the front page of the Telegraph. I reckon this means Danny Alexander is going to lose his seat in May

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_2QTmCU8AAoYfa.jpg
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    You know what really annoys me about twitter images, you can't easily zoom in to see them at their original size. Always have to drag the image into the address bar in order to do it. Grr
  • Options
    @chestnut
    Apparently if you can walk 40 yards, you don't need a car.
    (It's official)
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Lib Dem Scandal on the front page of the Telegraph. I reckon this means Danny Alexander is going to lose his seat in May

It might not be that straight forward..trying to read the text and it seems this was setup by a Ibrahim Taguri....the question is what other politicians or parties have taken some dodgy donations from this sting operation?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Mr. K, most peculiar. Have you checked your inbox? [Top right of your Vanilla profile].

Yeh, nothing from you since March 8th.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954

Danny was toast years ago...

• Options

Mr. T, disagree on Clarkson's petition being about cars/roads. It's about people who feel they get very little from the BBC despite funding it (not unlike bin collection being the only thing people often feel they get from the council) and are pissed off Top Gear might cease altogether.

There's an added layer of loathing political correctness.

Not true - I feel I also get a limited amount of street lighting, which is just as well given the current incidence of potholes and also er..... um ..... well yes that's about it really.
  • Options
    Mr. K, ahem, that's the thing I was referring to :p
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Danny was toast years ago...

I know
  • Options
    The Telegraph will be publishing the story on their website at 10pm
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Telegraph got a big splash

Read the story, and it's not what headline would like the reader to believe.

Alexander wasn't on the receiving end of the donation...
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Smarmeron said:

@Tykejohnno
    Calling some on here thick is the most I can get away with, but if it is any consolation, have a look at some of the things I get called.
    As for stopping people replying? nope, it destroys the entertainment.
    You appear to be coagulating nicely though.

You worked out the difference between a freeze and a cap?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,208
    Pulpstar said:

Interesting, very interesting, the DUP says

We’ll back the party that scraps the bedroom tax - In a hung parliament, Northern Ireland’s DUP will back whoever prioritises defence, social justice and beefs up UK border controls

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/11/tories-labour-democratic-unionist-support

Seem quite left wing - all the right wing issues (Sodomy in Ulster etc) tend to be devolved.
    Am I correct in thinking when the DUP talk about "UK border controls" they're not referring to the Channel, but to the totally open Ireland/Northern Ireland border?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,033
    dr_spyn said:

Pass the mind bleach. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/fury-sexist-sun-depict-first-5314278

Daily Record v The Sun's use of mocked up photo of Sturgeon and wrecking ball and tartan bikini.

It's not very realistic, surely she's chunkier than that?

• Options
    @notme
    Yes, but you seem not to have.
  • Options
    DUP lay out its demand for providing support for the next government:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/general-election-2015/dup-lays-out-postpoll-pact-demands-31059776.html
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934

The Telegraph will be publishing the story on their website at 10pm

Dan Dan the dead in the water man
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    chestnut said:

Smarmeron said:

@chestnut

If you move outside of London, you pretty much need a car, which is one of the reasons why London-centric decision making or power brokers is a problem.

The rest of the country doesn't have a dozen tube lines and hundreds of bus routes that run 24 hours a day.

My village used to have a regular (empty) bus every couple of hours, it now has a community taxi once a week.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Mr. Lilburne, sexist? Bah. People just love claiming offence and throwing accusations of bigotry.

I blame the French for this.

Edited extra bit: goodnight, everyone.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Pass the mind bleach. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/fury-sexist-sun-depict-first-5314278

Daily Record v The Sun's use of mocked up photo of Sturgeon and wrecking ball and tartan bikini.

At least it wasn't Eck in the swimwear!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

LOL
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    notme said:

My village used to have a regular (empty) bus every couple of hours, it now has a community taxi once a week.

Imagine how many people would need to squeeze into the taxi if no one had a car. Cozy.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    edited March 2015

More crucially for him, will this scandal impact on whatever new job he no doubt was lining up for after May in any case?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

At least it wasn't Eck in the swimwear!
    She looks fandabidozi to me in that

Even better than her schoolboy outfit
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Can we get back on thread. Failure to follow instructions will lead to banning

• Options
    Thread Header: "CON moves back to a 10 seat lead on the SPIN spread markets"

In fact Sporting have had the Tories 10 seats ahead of Labour for some time, but as I pointed out yesterday, they evidently can't be bothered to update their prices on their PB.com advertising ..... sloppy.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    I'm not seeing on the Telegraph site yet.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited March 2015

Mr. Lilburne, sexist? Bah. People just love claiming offence and throwing accusations of bigotry.

I blame the French for this.

he he...!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

LOL
    Danny Alexander has been virtually certain to lose his Inverness seat by a considerable measure for quite some time now. One only has to look at the bookies' odds to realise the impossible mountain he has to climb.
  • Options

We not allowed to talk about Danny and the dodgy donation?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Cyclefree said:

chestnut said:

Cyclefree said:

On thread: I do wonder whether there's a lot of counting chickens on the Tory side.

Even assuming a slight Tory lead - and probably to add to all the excitement we'll find that Labour are 5% ahead tonight - it still likely means that Labour will form the next government. So no real change from what has been likely for the last 3 years or so.

It sometimes feels as if the Tories think that because they find EdM unimaginably awful they simply cannot imagine how anyone can possibly vote Labour. That lack of imagination about why (a) people might not vote Tory - despite what the Tories think of as their own superior competence; and/or (b) people might vote Labour is a big failing.

It tends to turn into a "But the voters cannot be / won't be that stupid, surely!" rant, which is not tremendously attractive.

A brief flick through the history of previous leaders that are polling as poorly as Ed explains the increasing confidence of Tories.

No one, Lab or Con, has been so poorly rated and won.

There isn't a big enough tribe to support such a lowly regarded leader.
    There is always "no precedent" for something happening until it happens and then, bang, there's your precedent.

Just because no-one has been so poorly rated and won does not mean that this might not happen - for the first time - this time.

Electoral laws are hardly the laws of physics.
    It's also likely that the winning party will receive a post-war low share of the vote, below the current record set in 2005. In that context it's actually to be expected that the winner will be relatively poorly regarded compared to precedent. The converse would be surprising.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited March 2015
    New LD candidate for Bent Central needed?

Alexander doesn't seem to be in the shit as much as the wanabee MP.

no comments on Telegraph website.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited March 2015

In fact Sporting have had the Tories 10 seats ahead of Labour for some time, but as I pointed out yesterday, they evidently can't be bothered to update their prices on their PB.com advertising ..... sloppy.

You are not following this. The CON lead has fluctuated a fair bit between 8 and 10 over past two days. Indeed it has now edged back to 8. The panel above is being updated in real time.

Your comments about SPIN are wrong.
  • Options
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

We not allowed to talk about Danny and the dodgy donation?
    I wondered exactly the same thing.

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    CHELSEA :lol:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

More crucially for him, will this scandal impact on whatever new job he no doubt was lining up for after May in any case?
    Was he being lined up for Top Gear?

'Star in a reasonably priced taxi' with Clegg replacing The Stig.
  • Options

It was TSE sir he made us do it by mentioning one of front pages
  • Options
    Till election night.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    The Lib Dems have history on dodgy donations.. Who was the donor?
  • Options
    Chelsea out......
  • Options
    Telegraph expose sounding very, very bad for the Lib-Dems...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,293
    This is ridiculous: how could anyone believe that someone would actually want to give the LibDems money?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    rcs1000 said:

This is ridiculous: how could anyone believe that someone would actually want to give the LibDems money?

And from an ethnic minority too.... old white bloke in sandals eating a granola bar maybe........
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

That should have had the alarm bells ringing when the guy talked about giving £100k....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This new divorce settlement law is just fecking nuts. Can we argue about THAT rather JC?

You have sex 30 years ago, have a baby, break up, she takes the child. But the woman can come back 30 years later and make claims on money you made long long after you last saw her?

WTF. Just, WTF.

They had a lawyer on BBC early and it is a little bit more complex than being reported (it appears the old hippies didn't do the divorce properly and in full), but its still nuts.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Reflection on tonights Yougov result.
  • Options
    If the Tories are only 8 seats ahead of Labour and the SNP are expected to get 35-40 seats it doesn't look too bad for the left. The most worrying thing is the Tory momentum, if slight, and how this talk of a Labour/SNP deal could bother people. It's very easy to say that Miliband should rule out a deal with the SNP. But what if a majority isn't possible otherwise? Are we supposed to go without a government? Or would we have a grand coalition with Cameron as the incumbent remaining as Prime minister?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    GIN1138 said:

Telegraph expose sounding very, very bad for the Lib-Dems...

I think they half-dodged a bullet in truth. It read terribly for Taguri, but Danny Alexander and Lord Fox both stay well within the lines. Lord Fox even "urged some of the guests to put their head “above the parapet” by donating above the £7,500 limit", which can hardly be said to suggest he was advising people to get around the limit. And Danny Alexander doesn't seem to have done anything beyond being wheeled out to butter up a donor a bit.

So the story is bad, but the party can keep the damage limited mostly to a single person. They tough it out for now, and if the story catches on they can ditch him and kill it in its tracks. It has no legs beyond Taguri.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/575782961490100224

I presume this has focus group'ed the c##p out of it, because the obviously people are going to be firing incoming.
  • Options
    Could be. We often seem to see a Wed/Thu Lab Swing-Back with YouGov...

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited March 2015

You are not following this. The CON lead has fluctuated a fair bit between 8 and 10 over past two days. Indeed it has now edged back to 8. The panel above is being updated in real time.

Your comments about SPIN are wrong.
    That simply isn't so - I checked their website prices before my post at 10:02pm and I've checked it again just now at 10:22pm. On both occasions they were showing the Tories 10 seats ahead of Labour.
    Contrary to your claim, their PB.com continurs to show the Tories only 8 seats ahead - this is NOT being updated in real time!
  • Options

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/575782961490100224

I presume this has focus group'ed the c##p out of it, because the obviously people are going to be firing incoming.

Polly will go ballistic!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Er...when are we ever "back on thread"?
  • Options
    @FrankBooth
    Only coalitions with the Conservatives are allowed because the country needs stability!
    If anybody else has a chance to do so, it is immoral.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: It's official. No10 spksmn, asked if PM now rules out head to head TV debate with Miliband:"Yes. Final offer means final offer"
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    SeanT said:

This new divorce settlement law is just fecking nuts. Can we argue about THAT rather JC?

You have sex 30 years ago, have a baby, break up, she takes the child. But the woman can come back 30 years later and make claims on money you made long long after you last saw her?

WTF. Just, WTF.

Indeed. Absolutely bonkers. I am slightly mollified by this:

the £1.9m payout she had hoped to secure was too high an amount.

"It is obvious, even at this stage, that an award approaching that size is out of the question," [Lord Wilson} said.

"Her claim may even be dismissed.

But it defies reason, I would suggest, to say it is even reasonable, given all the money was made after the divorce, that

"But there is, in our opinion, a real prospect that she will secure a comparatively modest award, perhaps of a size which would enable her to purchase a somewhat more comfortable, mortgage-free home.

presumably because

Lord Wilson said Ms Wyatt, who lived in Lowestoft, Suffolk, Sunderland and the Forest of Dean, had raised her son through "16 years of real hardship".

Um, without wishing to be mean about it, if she wanted not to live in that hardship the pair could have remained married, she could have married someone wealthier, or even she could have earned more wealth herself. Why now, after all this time, does she deserve a mortgage free home? It's not as though the child needs a home to be raised in now either.

Insanity, pure insanity. No time limit at all on claims, no matter how weak the case may be? Sure it says the claim might be dismissed, but it would seem fairer on all parties not to drag out such ridiculously weak cases in the courts and instead set that time limit.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-31832392
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Ian Birrell @ianbirrell

At least #Everton are still in Europe, the last remaining British team...

English prem,what a joke.
  • Options
    @MarqueeMark
    Plot? Plot? Wherefore art thou plot?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

It's official. No10 spksmn, asked if PM now rules out head to head TV debate with Miliband:"Yes. Final offer means final offer"

• Options

Pulpstar said:

LOL
    Danny Alexander has been virtually certain to lose his Inverness seat by a considerable measure for quite some time now. One only has to look at the bookies' odds to realise the impossible mountain he has to climb.
    I got stuck into the 1-3 from Skybet recently.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: It's official. No10 spksmn, asked if PM now rules out head to head TV debate with Miliband:"Yes. Final offer means final offer"

BBC better dust off the old empty seat....
  • Options
    @SunPolitics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by one: CON 34%, LAB 35%, LD 7%, UKIP 14%, GRN 5%
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Damn, Mirror doesn't even defend itself against |Gascoigne.

You know, I'm a Rangers fan, loved Gazza playing for us, thought he was an amazing player. But always got disappointed since. This might not explain things to everyone. But I think it explains it enough for me.

The Labour rag should be shut down and the Labour Party needs to accept it's culpability for it's party rag.
  • Options
    Sun Politics @SunPolitics · 7s 7 seconds ago
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by one: CON 34%, LAB 35%, LD 7%, UKIP 14%, GRN 5%
  • Options
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by one: CON 34%, LAB 35%, LD 7%, UKIP 14%, GRN 5%
  • Options
    I don't take notice of polls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Tonights YG - EICIPM
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Labour 1% ahead Yougov - KRIS KROSSOVER will make you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010KyIQjkTk
  • Options
    Oh my.

• Options
    Redherd incoming....
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

I don't take notice of polls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mori will be more agreeable.

• Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Basil???
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    Gold standard status revoked.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

WTF. Just, WTF.

They had a lawyer on BBC early and it is a little bit more complex than being reported (it appears the old hippies didn't do the divorce properly and in full), but its still nuts.
    I know, and, yep, it's still nuts.

It is the reductio ad absurdam of feminist-driven jurisprudence. Sleep with a man, have a baby, take child, then 30 years later demand a chunk of the money he earned BY HIMSELF decades after he last saw you.

On the face of it, it does not seem that unreasonable for someone who fathers a child to share his money with said child and the person who brought it up for him.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sun Politics @SunPolitics · 7s 7 seconds ago

Boo! Come on YouGov, Labour need to panic to make this interesting, and while they won't like such slender leads, and both effectively being pretty much tied with each other it seems, they do still know that could be enough. They shouldn't be resting on that, but after so long in the lead, and still having leads this close to the end date, they need a whole weak of being behind to make this entertaining.
  • Options
    If we go up 3% more we are on 37!!
  • Options
  • Options

Redherd incoming....

Front page of the FT will cheer you up
  • Options
    I've dumped to zero on Lab seats & votes on the basis Ed is definitely the PM or there is a Labour minority Gov't if that's the case.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2015
    Unintentionally hilarious moment on the News before, from some museum spokesman speaking out against "selfie sticks" (some kind of metal rods which people hold out with a phone on to take pictures of themselves).

"We're worried that these metal rods might poke someone in the eye - or, even worse, damage a painting"
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

WTF. Just, WTF.

I know, and, yep, it's still nuts.

It is the reductio ad absurdam of feminist-driven jurisprudence. Sleep with a man, have a baby, take child, then 30 years later demand a chunk of the money he earned BY HIMSELF decades after he last saw you.

On the face of it, it does not seem that unreasonable for someone who fathers a child to share his money with said child and the person who brought it up for him.

And she couldn't make a claim 20 years ago because? A time limit does not seem unreasonable to me, given the child no longer needs bringing up.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

If we go up 3% more we are on 37!!

If Lab goes up five more they will be on 40....

• Options

Ian Birrell @ianbirrell

At least #Everton are still in Europe, the last remaining British team...

English prem,what a joke.

:-)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I think it was all down to Justine Thornton, or Miliband, or whatever we call her, doing human.
  • Options
    Justine Thornton becomes new Labour leader!

LAB go 15% clear!!
This discussion has been closed.