Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looking as though Al Murray is starting to get under Nig

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited March 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It looking as though Al Murray is starting to get under Nigel Farage’s skin

One of the side-shows of May 7th is the Pub Landlord’s campaign in South Thanet, where Farage is seeking to win. It’s a tough three way marginal but the latest from Survation had him with a comfortable lead.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    First?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    I'm left scratching my head with this one. Sure Farage should go along with the joke. But for a political establishment fretting about voters holding them in contempt it doesn;t seem that clever.
  • Options
    Who cares? We want to know if Jezza punched the dude or not.
  • Options
    VicomtecVicomtec Posts: 1
    Love the essential intolerance of Mr Supposedly-Cheerful-Chappie bubbling over. (Actually I signed in to alert you to a missing "d" in "Lanlord", but by the time I was in , you'd corrected it.
  • Options
    Loving the BBC love-in at chez Miliband, just a normal guy chillin' on his sofa.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited March 2015
    Is he not correct though? It's a clear imitation party and any responsible leader would defend their party's identity. And let's not pretend any of us know what the Pub Landlord wants...
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Welcome Vicomtec & Pauly.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    Vicomtec said:

Love the essential intolerance of Mr Supposedly-Cheerful-Chappie bubbling over. (Actually I signed in to alert you to a missing "d" in "Lanlord", but by the time I was in , you'd corrected it.

Still pedantry is always welcome here so you will fit right in.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Pauly said:

let's not pretend any of us know what the Pub Landlord wants...

He wants Farage to lose
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Who cares? We want to know if Jezza punched the dude or not.

According to the Radio Times he aimed and missed... Shame.... ( he missed i meant)

If you are going to be suspended it might have been for something worthwhile. No top gear this week though
    :-(

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-03-10/top-gear-series-postponed-after-jeremy-clarkson-punches-producer
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    Scott_P said:

Pauly said:

let's not pretend any of us know what the Pub Landlord wants...

He wants Farage to lose
    He'll be disappointed.
  • Options
    I hear that things are so bad at the BBC that the PM is refusing to even turn up for one of their election specials.

And that was before Clarkson.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Is he not correct though? It's a clear imitation party and any responsible leader would defend their party's identity. And let's not pretend any of us know what the Pub Landlord wants...

Incorrect. Any sensible party leader would laugh it off.

Firstly, there is no realistic danger of voter confusion.Secondly, and more importantly, being seen as pompous and humourless is fatal; particularly for a leader trading on "bloke down the pub" appeal.

As for what Murray wants, it's perfectly easy to see what Murray wants. He wants publicity, and to rile, with amusing effect, a man whose approach he parodies. Job done.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited March 2015
    "Murray’s party use an upside-down version of Ukip’s logo for the FUKP motif.

However, the Electoral Commission have refused to register the emblem for campaigning purposes as they have ruled that it is too similar to UKIP’s registered logo."

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2015/03/nigel-farage-calls-for-electoral-commission-to-be-closed/

Does that mean the logo can appear on the voting form or not?
  • Options
    What the Pub Landlord wants is publicity for his silly little stunt, ideally generating enough to cover the deposit he is going to lose.

Responding to nonsense like this is a rare mistake by Farage.
  • Options

It cannot - it is not the registered emblem and therefore cannot be on the ballot paper. It could be on campaign material in fact... albeit there may be intellectual property issues.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Flamboyant Ukip spokesman who compared Nigel Farage to Jesus sacked after series of gaffes

EXCLUSIVE: Winston McKenzie dropped as Commonwealth spokesman
    The former boxer organised party's disastrous 'carnival of colour' last year
    Mr McKenzie also called Croydon a 'dump' while being the candidate there

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2988526/Flamboyant-Ukip-spokesman-compared-Nigel-Farage-Jesus-sacked-series-gaffes.html
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    Just watched what may have been the last TopGear,I have not watched for a few years as Mrs Dee does not approve.
    JC looks old fat and well past his sell by date,maybe he is cashing in his pension.
    However I am sure he will be back.
  • Options
    It's not that surprising. The Electoral Commission is a pretty dysfunctional body that has seen instances of electoral fraud increase and voter confidence in the integrity of elections fall in the 14 years of its existence, with four of the nine commissioners the nominees of established parties, and a focus on its public image rather than addressing integrity issues. It is unsurprising that Ukip can see advantage in criticising the Commission, so raising this isnt really about Murray or about Thanet.
  • Options
    On a general principle, I agree with Farage that the electoral commission should be shut down, they've made a couple of horrific decisions in the last year, we all know about An Independence From Europe during last years Euros (Although they did help me win a bet on them)

Also, during the Euros, they allowed Britain First to tag themselves with the line "Remember Lee Rigby" on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Anyone hear John Inverdale's perfect description of Miliband on Radio 5 Live earlier?
  • Options

On a general principle, I agree with Farage that the electoral commission should be shut down, they've made a couple of horrific decisions in the last year, we all know about An Independence From Europe during last years Euros (Although they did help me win a bet on them)

Also, during the Euros, they allowed Britain First to tag themselves with the line "Remember Lee Rigby" on the ballot paper.

The latter example is incredibly tasteless, but surely the ballot paper is the very last place where freedom to offend should be interfered with?

The failure of "An Independence from Europe" to garner many votes rather suggests the Electoral Commission judged the risk of confusion correctly.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Bring back the Literal Democrats!
  • Options

It cannot - it is not the registered emblem and therefore cannot be on the ballot paper. It could be on campaign material in fact... albeit there may be intellectual property issues.

I thought UKIP didn't do intellectual.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

The latter example is incredibly tasteless, but surely the ballot paper is the very last place where freedom to offend should be interfered with?

The failure of "An Independence from Europe" to garner many votes rather suggests the Electoral Commission judged the risk of confusion correctly.

I thought it was shown that AIFE did actually cost Ukip a couple of MEPs, assuming that the vast majority of people who voted for AIFE voted for them by mistake.
  • Options

His family were very upset and the electoral commission said ‘only just realised the mistake’.

So their systems messed up
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Anyone hear John Inverdale's perfect description of Miliband on Radio 5 Live earlier?

Generally the guy is a [moderated], but no I didn't. Care to elucidated?
  • Options

Here, whatever you do, don't use the word John Inverdale uses, it sets on the PB automatic banhammer.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/10/john-inverdale-x-rated-comment-cheltenham-festival
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
    I doubt such events are registering much except with those desperate to find such stories. It hasn't even reached the Thanet Gazette online news page (although the Labour candidate's request for Blair funding has).

http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/news

It's just noise and even if he gains more than a handful of votes its impossible to prove whether they would have made any difference to Farage. For all we know he could distract some of the less establishment anti-UKIP vote from the Tories or Labour.

In any case, I'm sure Murray will make even more of a prize tit of himself before the end of the campaign than he has already.

As for the Electoral Commission, their systemic conflicted dysfunction is just more evidence of the establishment crumbling....
  • Options

What's with the mod? Ok for Cameron to say but not me?
  • Options

He somehow managed to blurt out 'rose-****ed glasses' live on air, obviously he meant rose tinted.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited March 2015
    tlg86 said:

I thought it was shown that AIFE did actually cost Ukip a couple of MEPs, assuming that the vast majority of people who voted for AIFE voted for them by mistake.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/05/26/european-elections-ukip_n_5392689.html

I think Mr Farage called for the Electoral Commission to be shut down after the EU Parliament election.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    There I was, refreshing the old thread like a numpty!
  • Options
    RobD said:

There I was, refreshing the old thread like a numpty!

SeanT can probably come up with a word for that
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    Justine's word 'decency' links in nicely with the Clarkson debacle. Just looking at a re-run of his insensitive gaffes on 4 reminds me of how truly awful he is. We have Clarkson insulting Brown's lack of sight in one eye, deliberately using two racist terms, provoking Argentinian ire through unwise number plates etc.etc. The man's a dated menace and needs to be off air as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    "Going along with the joke" is the way forward, is it?

It'll be nice to see Mick Pork posting again.
  • Options

'An Independence For Europe' came 7th (out of 37 parties listed) in the Euros polling 235,000 votes which was double what Plaid polled (the only regional party to poll more was the SNP) and easily surpassed both the BNP and EDP. Given it was little more than a one man band (albeit an MEP) in their first election I would hardly call that a failure............
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    Sounds like an outburst of personal panic from Farage. He know if he fails to win a seat then Carswell will be well set to take over as leader, along with his social liberalism and free-market love of immigration. UKIP would surely explode in such circumstances.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Justine's word 'decency' links in nicely with the Clarkson debacle. Just looking at a re-run of his insensitive gaffes on 4 reminds me of how truly awful he is. We have Clarkson insulting Brown's lack of sight in one eye, deliberately using two racist terms, provoking Argentinian ire through unwise number plates etc.etc. The man's a dated menace and needs to be off air as soon as possible.

Do you even understand what the Clarkson brand represents?

The day no-one is ever allowed to be "insensitive", is the day we become like North Korea.

May it never happen.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Flamboyant Ukip spokesman who compared Nigel Farage to Jesus sacked after series of gaffes

EXCLUSIVE: Winston McKenzie dropped as Commonwealth spokesman
    The former boxer organised party's disastrous 'carnival of colour' last year
    Mr McKenzie also called Croydon a 'dump' while being the candidate there

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2988526/Flamboyant-Ukip-spokesman-compared-Nigel-Farage-Jesus-sacked-series-gaffes.html

Its political correctness gone mad!

• Options

Sounds like an outburst of personal panic from Farage. He know if he fails to win a seat then Carswell will be well set to take over as leader, along with his social liberalism and free-market love of immigration. UKIP would surely explode in such circumstances.

If Farage flops then Reckless would be a better leader (assuming he makes it back) he may not be as intellectual as Carswell, but he is a much better performer in other ways. Much less likely to go off piste.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    DavidL said:

What the Pub Landlord wants is publicity for his silly little stunt, ideally generating enough to cover the deposit he is going to lose.

I don't know who is quite more satirical, you David- (rare mistake by Farage) or the pub landlord.

BTW- someone told me Farage is only 50. Farage, 50. Scarcely believing it, I had to rush to Google to make sure. And sure enough he's 50. He doesn't just belong to another generation, he belongs to another era. He looks old, he's antiquated (not in an endearing way). Farage would compliment a Carry on Movie- and they're all dead.

Is anyone really surprised that Farage gets the hump with the pub landlord? Farage is to modernity what my dear old Italian in laws are to the Internet. I think he could get Babs Windsor bending over in a gym slip, or dear Sid James in Love Thy Neighbour, but the Pub Landlord...not quite. Straight over the bloke's head.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    Its not just a joke name. You don't really expect to see something that looks at first glance like F*ck You written on a ballot paper.

I seem to recall the Libdems getting very upset when someone stood in a Euro election in the Southwest as a Literal Democrat and the Libdems narrowly lost a few years back.

I wonder how Mr Clegg would respond if a party with enough members to fill a phone box called the Liberal Demokunnts was allowed to stand in Sheffield Hallam?

All in all though it reinforces the suspicion that a worried establishment are willing to bend the rules to do UKIP down.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Islamic State posts Israeli Arab 'spy death video'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31822703
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017

I don't follow. Why does he need to be off air? if you don't like him, don't watch Top Gear.

• Options

They also aren't threatening imprisonment for returning officers who don't count their votes immediately after the polls have closed.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290

Dated menace to whom?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

If Farage flops then Reckless would be a better leader (assuming he makes it back) he may not be as intellectual as Carswell, but he is a much better performer in other ways. Much less likely to go off piste.
    Too little hair to be leader.

Also, as you sort of suggest, unlikely to be an MP in a few weeks time. What was the name of that other short lived turncoat UKIPer that no-one remembers? :-)

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    The Electoral Commission doesn;t make its judgement based on acronyms. They aren't comparing FUKP to UKIP.

They are comparing Freedom United Kingdom which is somewhat different to United Kingdom Independence Party.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    tyson said:

DavidL said:

I don't know who is quite more satirical, you David- (rare mistake by Farage) or the pub landlord.

BTW- someone told me Farage is only 50. Farage, 50. Scarcely believing it, I had to rush to Google to make sure. And sure enough he's 50. He doesn't just belong to another generation, he belongs to another era. He looks old, he's antiquated (not in an endearing way). Farage would compliment a Carry on Movie- and they're all dead.

Is anyone really surprised that Farage gets the hump with the pub landlord? Farage is to modernity what my dear old Italian in laws are to the Internet. I think he could get Babs Windsor bending over in a gym slip, or dear Sid James in Love Thy Neighbour, but the Pub Landlord...not quite. Straight over the bloke's head.
    Yet Farage is shown polling 39% and the Pub Landlord is shown on 1%.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

An absolute shower. Parties should not be allowed to invent deliberately misleading names either - and the Logo is far too close to UKIP.

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Mortimer
    Being follicularly challenged has become a bad look in the modern presidential age.
    It's a bit of a burger, because some of our best prime ministers have been no oil paintings.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409

Can't see Israel just wringing their hands and doing nothing. Things will get even more interesting in that part of the world.

Funny thing is that we are getting lots of pictures of hand chopping and gory public executions etc. to show how awful ISIS undoubtably are. Funny though how the same gory practices have been going on for decades in the vast desert oil rich country allied to the west next door to Iraq and we hear not a peep, let alone the slightest sanctions against them....
  • Options
    Dair said:

The Electoral Commission doesn;t make its judgement based on acronyms. They aren't comparing FUKP to UKIP.

Source? And if not, why not I wonder.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

An absolute shower. Parties should not be allowed to invent deliberately misleading names either - and the Logo is far too close to UKIP.

The logo isn't being allowed on the ballot paper. As to the name, it's an obvious parody. Farage just doesn't like being the butt of the joke and, as far as this thread goes, neither do his fanboyz.
  • Options
    @Pulpstar
    Vote Constapative!, we are full of sh*t.......?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

I don't follow. Why does he need to be off air? if you don't like him, don't watch Top Gear.

roseree- I mean ffs. We don't live in North Korea.

I am always happy that Clarkson has such a high profile because he openly and proudly displays the oafish, ignorant stupidity of the right wing Tories. We know they ALL do it behind our backs- I mean ALL of them in their gentlemen's clubs, their soireees, their smug dinner parties. Tory policies reek of the self satisfied, conceited disdain of the plebs from tax cuts, to free schools to bedroom taxes, but very few (aka Clarkson) are prepared to articulate their vile views publicly. Boris Johnson would fit into this category, but he still harbours ambitions. In the future, if BJ's plans fail, expect to see him driving a sports car in Top Gear and slagging off plebs.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dair said:

I suppose if they are only purely interested in how it looks on the ballot paper, that could explain it. Is UKIP never used on ballot papers?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Smarmeron said:

@Mortimer
    Being follicularly challenged has become a bad look in the modern presidential age.
    It's a bit of a burger, because some of our best prime ministers have been no oil paintings.

Indeed. Although to be honest I simplify rather. It's not the lack of hair, but the lack of style that it symbolises, and the lack of confidence that failure to be in touch inspires.

Dan Hannan's look would probably work, for example: clean cut, good suits, knows how to wear it.

Reckless otoh just has too much of the overgrown Billy Bunter about him. What was the lovely sobriquet DC was using at the last conference? It stuck because it struck a cord...
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I have always the supported the Conservation Party - the party that looks after our non-European heritage !
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,717

You protest far too much milady! Calm down.

From the top:

"One eyed moron", was it? - Yes insulting. Doubtful whether sackworthy. They'd have to sack every politician in Holyrood.

Eeny-meeny etc. Firstly, Clarkson didn't say it. Secondly, it wasn't broadcast. This was just an outrage-trolling exercise by Guardianistas-Mirrorites dredging the archives more than a year later. Surprised any thinking people fell for it.

"Slope on that bridge". This is only derogatory in American, not in EngIish. Pretty minor imo.

I've never heard a proven account of this. Given the continued actions and declarations of the Argentine government about this country, I don't give a hoot whether they are offended or not.
  • Options

I doubt such events are registering much except with those desperate to find such stories. It hasn't even reached the Thanet Gazette online news page (although the Labour candidate's request for Blair funding has).

http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/news

It's just noise and even if he gains more than a handful of votes its impossible to prove whether they would have made any difference to Farage. For all we know he could distract some of the less establishment anti-UKIP vote from the Tories or Labour.

In any case, I'm sure Murray will make even more of a prize tit of himself before the end of the campaign than he has already.

As for the Electoral Commission, their systemic conflicted dysfunction is just more evidence of the establishment crumbling....

http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/Labour-candidate-tweets-Tony-Blair-campaign/story-26143079-detail/story.html

Begging bowl out to Blair and Campbell for his cash. That;s not going to go down too well - the question is will the utility of the £1000 be greater than the presumed negative publicity of the money. In fact that's a question that could be asked for all Labour MPs in marginals.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,717
    Oops. Final para refers to the number plate allegation.
  • Options

As far as Israel is concerned, it will be one less Arab.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

We need legislation on silly and misleading names: Literal Democrat was oked by the High Court, so this is not wholly the EC's fault. They are an absolute shower though, how they survived being disbanded after the admin fiascoes of GE 2010 is a mystery.

Farage mishandling it, obviously. For a start he should have seen it coming after AIFE.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dair said:

The local paper reports it here: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/its-official---the-pub-33177/

It quotes the Electoral Commission as follows:

"We concluded that this party name, if used on a ballot paper, was not likely to lead to electors confusing it with another registered party. At the same time we refused to register the emblem that the Free United Kingdom Party is currently using for campaigning purposes. This is clearly similar to UKIP’s registered emblem and as a result we judged that there was a clear risk of voter confusion. The party may use this emblem in other contexts but it may not use it on ballot papers. The acronym FUKP will also not appear on the ballot paper."

Sufficient for you? And if not, why not I wonder?
  • Options

Its not just a joke name. You don't really expect to see something that looks at first glance like F*ck You written on a ballot paper.

I seem to recall the Libdems getting very upset when someone stood in a Euro election in the Southwest as a Literal Democrat and the Libdems narrowly lost a few years back.

I wonder how Mr Clegg would respond if a party with enough members to fill a phone box called the Liberal Demokunnts was allowed to stand in Sheffield Hallam?

All in all though it reinforces the suspicion that a worried establishment are willing to bend the rules to do UKIP down.

The Electoral Commission are full of Tories !
  • Options
    edited March 2015

RobD said:

Dair said:

The local paper reports it here: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/its-official---the-pub-33177/

"We concluded that this party name, if used on a ballot paper, was not likely to lead to electors confusing it with another registered party. At the same time we refused to register the emblem that the Free United Kingdom Party is currently using for campaigning purposes. This is clearly similar to UKIP’s registered emblem and as a result we judged that there was a clear risk of voter confusion. The party may use this emblem in other contexts but it may not use it on ballot papers. The acronym FUKP will also not appear on the ballot paper."

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion in an earlier post. Do keep up ;)

Edit - and my "if not, why not" was directed at the electoral comission not comparing FUKP to UKIP, not toward Dair (who is no slouch when it comes to these things).
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    tyson said:

I am always happy that Clarkson has such a high profile because he openly and proudly displays the oafish, ignorant stupidity of the right wing Tories. We know they ALL do it behind our backs- I mean ALL of them in their gentlemen's clubs, their soireees, their smug dinner parties. Tory policies reek of the self satisfied, conceited disdain of the plebs from tax cuts, to free schools to bedroom taxes, but very few (aka Clarkson) are prepared to articulate their vile views publicly. Boris Johnson would fit into this category, but he still harbours ambitions. In the future, if BJ's plans fail, expect to see him driving a sports car in Top Gear and slagging off plebs.
    Always amuses me that those on the Left use the word 'pleb' so often. Never heard a Tory use it.
  • Options

He is an obnoxious s.o.b.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Miliband really is in the brown stuff, if him and his handlers think using Big Gordo's election playbook, with Mrs Brown to the fore is a step forward towards Number 10.

2 things stand out in the Guardian article:

Mr & Mrs Ed apparently talk about "vested interests" at home. Do these people actually have a life?

Best part is the Guardian edit comment at the end where they say:

"This article was amended on 10 March 2015. The original references to Justine Thornton have been changed to reflect Labour’s statement that she wished to use the surname Miliband in political life."

Obviously some Labour staffer realised that an article about family life didn't come across all that well without the family name.

Remember this is a couple who only got married once he became party leader and didn't bother putting his name on his son's birth certificate. Very Odd Ed and Odd Justine.
  • Options

tyson said:

Always amuses me that those on the Left use the word 'pleb' so often. Never heard a Tory use it.
    You are a lower class Tory !

• Options
    How about this in Thanet?:

Surely should be suspended from the party for campaigning for Labour:

http://order-order.com/2015/03/10/lord-oakeshott-wears-a-red-rosette/
  • Options

Although one was proved in court to have used it, "or something so close to amount to the same". You know, when he recently tried to destroy the reputation and bankrupt the police officer who had faithfully recorded the same in his notepad.

• Options

RobD said:

Dair said:

I think that is OK. UKIP supporters are not literate enough to read the full name of any party.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,914
    ShaleBing said:

It's not that surprising. The Electoral Commission is a pretty dysfunctional body that has seen instances of electoral fraud increase and voter confidence in the integrity of elections fall in the 14 years of its existence, with four of the nine commissioners the nominees of established parties, and a focus on its public image rather than addressing integrity issues. It is unsurprising that Ukip can see advantage in criticising the Commission, so raising this isnt really about Murray or about Thanet.

Welcome to PB, and well said.

Dare I assume you are interested in Scottish politics, like some of us?
  • Options
    Farage having a rant about something? Wow - big news! :/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

There is an interesting exception hurriedly added to the rules in recent years - which allows Unionist parties to clain that they are 'Scottish' when, in at least one case, they are nothing of the sort. Hence the non-existent 'Scottish Labour Party' in Scottish voting forms.

• Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    surbiton said:

He is an obnoxious s.o.b.
    The last time I checked we weren't living in the USSR
  • Options
    @kjohnw
    "The last time I checked we weren't living in the USSR"

We might be before the year is out?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

I think that is OK. UKIP supporters are not literate enough to read the full name of any party.
    I'm a UKIP supporter on and off, and I've got a first from Oxford and a PhD from a Russell Group university. Easy claims to make on the internet, but you can have anything upwards of £500 at evens on either or both of them if you want to question them.

After your silly little sneer I think you owe it to us to disclose the exact height of literacy from which you are sneering.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    @JosiasJessop

You wrote a very thoughtful response to my post on a previous thread. I do not really disagree with its substance. Your argument is that there are people who dislike Muslims as a category and tar all of them with the same extremist brush and that this is wrong. I agree.

But this is not Islamophobia. Islamophobia is a term coined by those who want to stop any criticism of Islam, including criticisms by believing Muslims such as Maajid Nawaz, and who use the understandable desire not to accuse all Muslims regardless of who they are as individuals as extremists as cover for preventing criticism of extremism as an ideology and the people who promote it and act it out.

They use anti-racism as a way of preventing criticism of ideas. And this is what Islamophobia has come to mean.

Wrong in my view.

So I'm not having the debate on the extremists' terms.

But I hope I will never be accused of insulting Muslims as individuals.
  • Options
    Justine now out to bat.... seriously?

Might as well also sign her up for the England one day team too...
  • Options
    If Jezza did indeed swing a punch at somebody (however much he deserved it) then being suspended is hardly a shock. I'd be out of the door under the gross misconduct clause of my contract no doubt.

Tricky for the Beeb though as they will sorely miss the ~£300M that the show raises.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

There is an interesting exception hurriedly added to the rules in recent years - which allows Unionist parties to clain that they are 'Scottish' when, in at least one case, they are nothing of the sort. Hence the non-existent 'Scottish Labour Party' in Scottish voting forms.

"Jim Murphy benefit gig"
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Ishmael_X said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

I'm a UKIP supporter on and off, and I've got a first from Oxford and a PhD from a Russell Group university. Easy claims to make on the internet, but you can have anything upwards of £500 at evens on either or both of them if you want to question them.

After your silly little sneer I think you owe it to us to disclose the exact height of literacy from which you are sneering.
    Noticed on here in the last month or so,the labour supporters are showing who are the real nasty party.

• Options
    @Scrapheap_as_was
    It might be handy having her around during the election.
    Isn't she a typist in a legal office?
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 712
    edited March 2015
    Israel game

Evening all, for anyone that would like to play, the Israel election game is available below, entries close 7pm next Monday:

http://www.electiongame.co.uk/israel15/

Many thanks!

DC
  • Options
    Urgh, the Beeb love-In at chez miliband is quite sick-making.

• Options
    @JeremyClarkson: Sorry Ed. It seems I knocked your "I'm a human" piece down the news agenda.
  • Options
    @JeremyClarkson: Sorry Ed. It seems I knocked your "I'm a human" piece down the news agenda.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

"Jim Murphy benefit gig"
    That particular instance was before his time (at least I/c SLAB), to be fair to Mr M. But I don't know who masterminded it ...

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    saddo said:

Miliband really is in the brown stuff, if him and his handlers think using Big Gordo's election playbook, with Mrs Brown to the fore is a step forward towards Number 10.

2 things stand out in the Guardian article:

Mr & Mrs Ed apparently talk about "vested interests" at home. Do these people actually have a life?

Best part is the Guardian edit comment at the end where they say:

"This article was amended on 10 March 2015. The original references to Justine Thornton have been changed to reflect Labour’s statement that she wished to use the surname Miliband in political life."

Obviously some Labour staffer realised that an article about family life didn't come across all that well without the family name.

Remember this is a couple who only got married once he became party leader and didn't bother putting his name on his son's birth certificate. Very Odd Ed and Odd Justine.

Not really. It is quite common for lady lawyers to practice under their maiden names - I know one married to a Tory MP who does. Not having to explain that in every interview Justine does seems sensible.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Ishmael_X said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

Noticed on here in the last month or so,the labour supporters are showing who are the real nasty party.

Eh!
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    surbiton said:

As far as Israel is concerned, it will be one less Arab.
    There are some Arab Israeli citizens.

Just as Muslim and Arab aren't synonymous [80% of Muslims aren't Arabs] nor are Israeli and Jew.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited March 2015

In fairness it's a series. Sturgeon next week. I assume Farage, Clegg, Cameron follow.
  • Options

Brilliant....
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Ishmael_X said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

Eh!
    Not you comp,your one of the good guys ;-)

This discussion has been closed.