Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A 7-sided TV debate as proposed by Cameron could go ahead:

Comments

• Options

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

If Cameron was to only go to one debate, surely he should just go to the head-to-head? That's the only one that matters.

I don't think he want's to give Ed a platform to look Prime Ministerial...

But what will happen if the head-to-head goes ahead (ahem) without Cameron? If Clegg goes instead expect it to be 90 minutes of blue bashing.
    What if the blues send along a mid level minister ? Will Ed and Nick lower themselves ?
    Of course as every answer will refer to Cowardly Cam not turning up.

He really hasnt thought this through has he?
    Good to see a poster on PB has more insight than the PM and his advisers on this issue to be able to make such a bold statement....
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE · 12m12 minutes ago
    Introducing Labour's election slogan...........drum roll..............

"A BETTER PLAN FOR A BETTER FUTURE"

I can't say I'm hugely inspired by that one.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,992

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

If Cameron was to only go to one debate, surely he should just go to the head-to-head? That's the only one that matters.

But what will happen if the head-to-head goes ahead (ahem) without Cameron? If Clegg goes instead expect it to be 90 minutes of blue bashing.
    What if the blues send along a mid level minister ? Will Ed and Nick lower themselves ?
    Of course as every answer will refer to Cowardly Cam not turning up.

Politicians giggling and making chicken noises, isn't going to do much for their already badly tarnished reputation.

Hiding from the debates will play much better LOL
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,945
    Danny565 said:

If the debates really don't happen then imo it's highly likely we'll get the lowest turnout ever for an election.

Except Scotland......
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,042

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

Send in Hague.
    He is retiring early leaving you and N4E to foot the bill via your taxes!!

Really am off now
    and yours ;)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,574
    edited March 2015
    They had a dutch guy on the radio last night to talk about how they make it work there.

Apparently, before the Euro elections, they invited 8 parties and 6 just didn't show and they went ahead with just 2.

The latest approach, which all the parties have agreed, is that they are going to have head to head debates, whereby lots are drawn and each party debates once.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2015

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

Send in Hague.
    He is retiring early leaving you and N4E to foot the bill via your taxes!!

Really am off now
    Somehow, I can't see him joining Spongers Club, and filling his empty days with cheap cinema deals.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,014
    antifrank said:

Hmmmmm Not sure. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    antifrank said:

Good grief... that will mark them out from all the other parties trumpeting how they have a worse plan for a worse future.
  • Options
    Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE · 11s11 seconds ago
    The second-string Labour message is....

"BRITAIN SUCCEEDS WHEN WORKING FAMILIES SUCCEED"
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Indigo said:

Roger said:

I heard the other day that Manchester was the first nuclear free zone in the UK. If only they had realised what a style icon they were turning down

London was expected to be devastated by two to four bombs of up to five megatons each exploding over the city. Glasgow, Birmingham and Manchester were each said to be in line for one or two "airbursts" of up to five megatons.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/05/uk-government-top-secret-list-probable-nuclear-targets-1970s
    Have a play with

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

and scare yourself about how big the blast radius is, 5mt on Big Ben for example would reach Watford with the thermal radiation flash.
    More important, go to Moscow and see how little damage a 100kt W76 actually does to a country the size of Russia. We have 32 available and 64 max even with extra missiles we only have around 120 warheads.

That's not a lot of damage. It is not even viable as a "deterent".
    One dropped on the centre of Moscow appears to kill a quarter of a million people. Might put me off a bit.
    That would not be in line with Russian military history. The phrase "Acceptable Casualties" could have been invented there.
    40 warheads+, upwards of 10 million dead, and 30-40 million injured or dying. Not even Russia would consider that acceptable.
    The UK has the ability to launch a maximum of 32 missiles at any enemy.
    Which have multiple warheads. The current best guestimate is about 160.....of 80-100 kilotons.

One of which would kill a quarter of a million Muscovites and injure over a million.....

My mistake, I thoguht Trident 1 was single warhead. So I read up here.

http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Uk/UKArsenalRecent.html
    Last changed 30 April 2001
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I guess it is better than British Jobs for British Workers...or Gulag for Slags.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    Its all a bit 'Quiet Bat People'
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    The Tories have managed to come up with a plan so cunning , you could put a tail on it and call it a Liam Fox.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,727
    DanSmith said:

Incidentally, the exclusion of the DUP/Sinn Fein is intellectually indefensible.

DUP/Sinn Fein don't run against any of the UK parties in NI so neither are being disadvantaged by not taking part.
    UK parties? Including those in NI?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,928
    I can see why the Cameroons don't want debates because Miliband or Farage are more likely to get a boost from them than he is. However, despite the PB Tory attempts at spin, he will either be perceived as a coward scared of debating with his opponents or a bully trying to stop debates going ahead because he hasn't got his own way. Can't see any way that Cameron comes out of this looking the winner when Clegg, Milliband and Farage are all united in their desire for the debates to take place. If he tries to stop being "empty chaired" legally he will be digging an even bigger hole.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    antifrank said:

That is an unpolished trud.

• Options

antifrank said:

I guess it is better than British Jobs for British Workers...or Gulag for Slags.
    Actually, the more I think about this second string message, the less I understand what it's supposed to mean.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,727
    Sean_F said:

Smarmeron said:

@FrancisUrquhart
    ISIS have at their heart a belief in a forth coming apocalypse, granted, a few of them might not have the same degree of certainty about "when and if" but it does give you an insight about what you are dealing with.

If we did nuke (say) a Syrian town and kill hundreds of ISIS fighters at one presumably they'd all be martyrs. Will there be enough virgins waiting for them on the other side?
    The virgins may not necessarily be:-

(a) female
    (b) human.

(c) 72 years old
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    antifrank said:

"APART FROM DURING THE VICTORIAN AGE "

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Do I share my birthday with Mrs @bigjohnowls ?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    antifrank said:

Alienating singletons and the childless in one brief sentence. It's a winner!
  • Options

I do not think it healthy for the media to dictate the course of a campaign. And if we're going to claim that the public's wishes are paramount, I would anticipate the reintroduction of hanging and a vote, or outright withdrawal, on our membership of the EU.

One should be a little more tolerant towards the public's preferred sources of information than their predilection for state violence. I don't follow your logic, but I'm happy with an EU referendum at any point.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Meanwhile in the Real World...

Katarina Johnson-Thompson has just won Gold in the Pentathlon at the European Championships in Prague.

5000 points.

Beats Jess Ennis's British record. Other records broken on the way.

And she is gutted. Never has a Gold medallist looked so unhappy.

Because she was 1 second away from a World Record points score.

Awesome stuff.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Mr. Money, perhaps. I'm sure a majority of the electorate would enjoy seeing Ed Miliband gunged, or Nick Clegg put in stocks.

Or we could let politicians campaign as they see fit, and the public can judge them on that.

The 7-7-2 format is not carved on stone and handed down by the lord God to his broadcasting prophet Adam Boulton. It's a faintly ridiculous compromise, which is unfair to the DUP/Sinn Fein, as well as the Lib Dems.

I do not think it healthy for the media to dictate the course of a campaign. And if we're going to claim that the public's wishes are paramount, I would anticipate the reintroduction of hanging and a vote, or outright withdrawal, on our membership of the EU.

It's not unfair to the DUP/Sinn Fein as they do not face a challenge from any Major Party in NI which is being included in the debates. It's really that simple. All Major Parties competing against one another are included (plus the Greens who are still fighting Ofcom on this).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,064
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Actually, the more I think about this second string message, the less I understand what it's supposed to mean.
    I had no clue what Dave's "Big society" was all about in 2010 though to be perfectly honest. I can't even remember the Labour slogan.
  • Options

One should be a little more tolerant towards the public's preferred sources of information than their predilection for state violence. I don't follow your logic, but I'm happy with an EU referendum at any point.

Simple solution is to let the EU decide the debate format - should keep everyone happy.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

I can see why the Cameroons don't want debates because Miliband or Farage are more likely to get a boost from them than he is. However, despite the PB Tory attempts at spin, he will either be perceived as a coward scared of debating with his opponents or a bully trying to stop debates going ahead because he hasn't got his own way. Can't see any way that Cameron comes out of this looking the winner when Clegg, Milliband and Farage are all united in their desire for the debates to take place. If he tries to stop being "empty chaired" legally he will be digging an even bigger hole.

The only course of action for the Tories is to do the first debate on ITV then accept the "empty chair" from BBC and Sky.

We have no idea what they implications of the "empty chair" will be but we do know that despite all the sound and fury in 2010 the debates made virtually no difference to the outcome so Cam may get away with being "empty chaired" anyway...
  • Options
    initforthemoneyinitforthemoney Posts: 736
    edited March 2015
    RobD said:

Same in Scotland and Wales, so why do the SNP/PC get to fight it out with the big boys in London?

Because the nationwide parties are running against their candidates.

• Options
    Dair said:

Mr. Money, perhaps. I'm sure a majority of the electorate would enjoy seeing Ed Miliband gunged, or Nick Clegg put in stocks.

Or we could let politicians campaign as they see fit, and the public can judge them on that.

The 7-7-2 format is not carved on stone and handed down by the lord God to his broadcasting prophet Adam Boulton. It's a faintly ridiculous compromise, which is unfair to the DUP/Sinn Fein, as well as the Lib Dems.

It's not unfair to the DUP/Sinn Fein as they do not face a challenge from any Major Party in NI which is being included in the debates. It's really that simple. All Major Parties competing against one another are included (plus the Greens who are still fighting Ofcom on this).
    UKIP are running in Northern Ireland, though I doubt they'll keep any deposits.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

I had no clue what Dave's "Big society" was all about in 2010 though to be perfectly honest. I can't even remember the Labour slogan.
    "A future fair for all".
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

OllyT said:

The only course of action for the Tories is to do the first debate on ITV then accept the "empty chair" from BBC and Sky.

We have no idea what they implications of the "empty chair" will be but we do know that despite all the sound and fury in 2010 the debates made virtually no difference to the outcome so Cam may get away with being "empty chaired" anyway...
    It'll make charter renewal fun ;) Kudos to the BBC for not backing down.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I quite liked 'Gulags for Slags' - it had a certain decisive clarity missing from so much political discourse these days....and slags don't vote do they?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,884
    The BBC really have drawn the short straw having to show a six leader debate without Cameron. We'll already have seen all six for 90 minutes previously. I thought they'd change the format to 7-3-3 to keep it interesting.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Aren't the Conservative Party running in NI this time? I thought they did in 2010?

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Dair said:

Aren't the Conservative Party running in NI this time? I thought they did in 2010?

Still time to select candidates ;)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

OllyT said:

And have an exclusive live interview with the PM aired at the same time on a competing channel.....

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

OllyT said:

What charter renewal? ;-)
  • Options
    The last 24 hours on here has been hysterical watching the PB Tories eulogising the "mastery" and "great game" of David Cameron only for it to all fall apart and leave Cameron with nowhere to turn that does not end up making him look particularly foolish and a huge loser.

Stand firm and be embarrassed as an empty chair.
    Kow tow to the broadcasters.

The thing I don't get, is how anyone on his campaign team expected this to turn out differently. All the TV companies had to do was nothing - they've already made the debates offer and they've even said he would be empty chaired.

Utter stupidity.
  • Options
    Craig Oliver response in full (beeb)

Posted at 17:21

David Cameron's communications chief Craig Oliver has said: "I made the prime minister's final position clear in my last letter - he is willing to do a seven-way debate in the week beginning March 23. Clearly it is disappointing that you are not prepared to take him up on that offer. I am ready to discuss at your convenience the logistics of making the debate we have suggested happen."
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

"A future fair for all".
    Labour are awfully affectionate of asinine alliteration....
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Dair said:

All the Conservatives managed to do in Northern Ireland is completely sink the UUP ! (They were drowning before the Con hook up mind)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2015
    The Tories could always send a couple of 'supply' leaders...

Boris and Hague could do one each.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

If the debates really don't happen then imo it's highly likely we'll get the lowest turnout ever for an election.

Except Scotland......
    A great advert for our democracy where the Constituent Country with the highest turnout being in a position to dictate the direction the UK should take.
  • Options
    @Tissue_Price
    If the Tories get back in, they could sell the BBC to Sky or ITV?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Dair said:

All the Conservatives managed to do in Northern Ireland is completely sink the UUP ! (They were drowning before the Con hook up mind)
    Getting rid of the split in the unionist vote was a bad thing? :p
  • Options

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Indigo said:

Roger said:

I heard the other day that Manchester was the first nuclear free zone in the UK. If only they had realised what a style icon they were turning down

London was expected to be devastated by two to four bombs of up to five megatons each exploding over the city. Glasgow, Birmingham and Manchester were each said to be in line for one or two "airbursts" of up to five megatons.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/05/uk-government-top-secret-list-probable-nuclear-targets-1970s
    Have a play with

and scare yourself about how big the blast radius is, 5mt on Big Ben for example would reach Watford with the thermal radiation flash.
    More important, go to Moscow and see how little damage a 100kt W76 actually does to a country the size of Russia. We have 32 available and 64 max even with extra missiles we only have around 120 warheads.

One dropped on the centre of Moscow appears to kill a quarter of a million people. Might put me off a bit.
    That would not be in line with Russian military history. The phrase "Acceptable Casualties" could have been invented there.
    40 warheads+, upwards of 10 million dead, and 30-40 million injured or dying. Not even Russia would consider that acceptable.
    Which have multiple warheads. The current best guestimate is about 160.....of 80-100 kilotons.

One of which would kill a quarter of a million Muscovites and injure over a million.....

If you have different info please share it. Until then we can assume the UK has 1 active boat, 14 missiles and 48 warheads in a non-ready state.
  • Options
    Dair said:

The last 24 hours on here has been hysterical watching the PB Tories eulogising the "mastery" and "great game" of David Cameron only for it to all fall apart and leave Cameron with nowhere to turn that does not end up making him look particularly foolish and a huge loser.

The thing I don't get, is how anyone on his campaign team expected this to turn out differently. All the TV companies had to do was nothing - they've already made the debates offer and they've even said he would be empty chaired.

Utter stupidity.

Cameron will say he's made his final offer and he's sticking to it. Folding would be worse as it opens up obvious attacks on the likely outcome of his EU renegotiation.

The first empty chair debate will attract ratings. The second won't. And 90 mins of unmitigated Ed simply isn't going to happen. So the latter two broadcasters still have a problem. So I don't think this is over yet.
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
    GIN1138 said:

Dair said:

That's just a straw man. The argument that was given for the inclusion of the SNP and Plaid was that they may be involved in some sort of coalition or arrangement with whoever forms the Goverment. Of course the same is very much true of the DUP who have three times the number of seats as Plaid but the TV stations don't want to include them (presumably because that would then mean SF would also have to appear).
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Dair said:

Danny565 said:

Except Scotland......
    A great advert for our democracy where the Constituent Country with the highest turnout being in a position to dictate the direction the UK should take.
    At the whim of 4% of the population (who vote SNP) then? ;)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

UKIP are running in Northern Ireland, though I doubt they'll keep any deposits.
    That's the point. What matters is Major Parties. UKIP are only considered a Major Party in England and in Wales. As an irrelevance in NI they can be in the debates without it effecting the NI vote.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    TGOHF said:

Simple solution is to let the EU decide the debate format - should keep everyone happy.

Arf - what could possibly go wrong...?
  • Options
    @Tissue_Price
    It will not be over for a long time, and what several people on here are missing, is that it will be "the" story until it is.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    As I indicated previously Cameron's advisers on the debates issue need their goolies placed in mangle pour encourager les autres from future election stupidity.

The PM has now backed himself in a tight dead end of his own foolish making and appears to have the desperate options of either a humiliating climb down or the prospect of being empty chaired. He has gambled on the prestige of the Prime Minister not being snubbed and has lost and he deserved to lose.

In doing so the Prime Minister has appeared churlish, evasive and downright bone headed and worse still has even managed to make Ed Miliband appear credible. Quite a coup for the PM's election team.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,209
    antifrank said:

Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

"A future fair for all".
    A fake fur for all.

It was the fore-runner of the owl programme....
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Indigo said:

Roger said:

Have a play with

If you have different info please share it. Until then we can assume the UK has 1 active boat, 14 missiles and 48 warheads in a non-ready state.
    The missiles are 'supposedly' un-targetted and would take 15 mins to program.

Prolongs the lives of those unfortunate Russkies you wouldn't have a problem sacrificing, by a quarter of an hour.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

OllyT said:

Bloody disgraceful from the BBC,did they ever threaten to empty chair Labour PM Tony Blair.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Dair said:

Actually in 2010 as the Tories ran in alliance with the UUP, the DUP's objection would actually be valid - a Major NI party would have been in the debates so they would all have had to be invited.

Fortunately, this time that's not necessary.
  • Options

Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

Cameron will say he's made his final offer and he's sticking to it. Folding would be worse as it opens up obvious attacks on the likely outcome of his EU renegotiation.

The first empty chair debate will attract ratings. The second won't. And 90 mins of unmitigated Ed simply isn't going to happen. So the latter two broadcasters still have a problem. So I don't think this is over yet.
    ITV under the most pressure - they can have a 6 person one without Cam just to keep solidarity with their hated rivals or get the prime cut.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,058
    Mr. W, Cameron has stated for years he thought the debates should happen earlier and be more spaced out. Broadcasters ignored that.

Of course, he does look evasive, but as I loathe the debates, it doesn't bother me.

The risk isn't one way. Aside from the 'six squabbling idiots' scenario I outlined below, if the media and other politicians bang on about this ad infinitum, it'll annoy voters who want to know about things like taxation rates, the deficit, and so forth. There comes a point where complaining becomes whining.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

ITV under the most pressure - they can have a 6 person one without Cam just to keep solidarity with their hated rivals or get the prime cut.
    Ad revenues and getting one over on Sky. Tricky.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    TGOHF said:

Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

ITV under the most pressure
    Not from where most other people are standing. Dave can either back down and look weak or stick to his guns and look silly. I'd much rather be ITV.
  • Options
    JackW said:

As I indicated previously Cameron's advisers on the debates issue need their goolies placed in mangle pour encourager les autres from future election stupidity.

The PM has now backed himself in a tight dead end of his own foolish making and appears to have the desperate options of either a humiliating climb down or the prospect of being empty chaired. He has gambled on the prestige of the Prime Minister not being snubbed and has lost and he deserved to lose.

In doing so the Prime Minister has appeared churlish, evasive and downright bone headed and worse still has even managed to make Ed Miliband appear credible. Quite a coup for the PM's election team.

Will there be a price to pay from your ARSE tomorrow?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    This whole nonsense stems from a belief that

CONS it can only be bad for Cameron to debate Farage/Miliband,
    UKIP It can only be good for Farage to debate either of them, and
    LAB its worth having to debate Farage if Miliband gets to debate Cameron

The fact is we are dancing around minimal percentage boosts here, that I believe are exaggerated

Its probably no bigger than 2/1 that Cameron comes out of a debate with the pair of them and Clegg in a better position than he went in and even then it only matters to a few people that hadn't made up their minds.

This all reminds me of bookmakers fussing around making excuses not to take a bet off someone who is a smallish winner.. and a punter desperate to get a massive bet on when he thinks he has a better edge than he really has
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

OllyT said:

Politically it gives the BBC a big stick to beat Cameron with if he is PM after May. It's probably more beneficial for the BBC to stick to their guns and point out that Tory calls for licence fee cuts is a politically motivated payback.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,146
    GIN1138 said:

The Conservatives have run in Northern Ireland since the late 1980s and had small numbers of local councillors. They formally joined up with the UUP in 2009 as "Ulster Conservatives and Unionists - New Force", saw one MEP elected in 2009, but no MPs in 2010 (with the UUP's one MP before 2010 leaving the party in protest at the link-up and managing to get herself re-elected as an independent).

The UUP link was dissolved and the NI Conservatives re-launched in 2012. Their only sitting councillor lost his seat last year and they came bottom in the Euro-elections with 0.7% of the vote. I believe they are intending to stand in May, but seem very unlikely to make any significant impact.

UKIP, of course, also organise in Northern Ireland, with slightly more success.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

Yeah, this is a point that people aren't saying much. Even if it was sold as "Miliband vs. Cameron with Cameron empty-chaired", people still would consider it "an audience with Miliband" and the viewership figures wouldn't be nearly as high as an actual debate.

This is why I think they should invite Clegg and Farage.
  • Options
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

Not from where most other people are standing. Dave can either back down and look weak or stick to his guns and look silly. I'd much rather be ITV.
    I'm sure ITV shareholders will prefer a dividend in brownie points from the broadcasters gang rather than advertising wonga..

The private sector exists out there remember...
  • Options

Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

Yeah, this is a point that people aren't saying much. Even if it was sold as "Miliband vs. Cameron with Cameron empty-chaired", people still would consider it "an audience with Miliband" and the viewership figures wouldn't be nearly as high as an actual debate.

I don't see how they can offer David Cameron something on a take it or leave it basis, then do something different if he leaves it.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

I'm sure ITV shareholders will prefer a dividend in brownie points from the broadcasters gang rather than advertising wonga..

ITV will save you!

Maybe they'll step in and buy Rangers too?

• Options
    @isam
    That is where the crass stupidity of Dave's election team lies.
    The debates themselves would only be a short term hit. The story is now about Cammo avoiding them.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Tissue_Price
    It will not be over for a long time, and what several people on here are missing, is that it will be "the" story until it is.

It will be a story. And it's doubtless hurting Cameron right now. But the people making the most fuss have zero intention of ever voting for Cameron.
  • Options
    Sky News & Kay Burley specifically clearly not impressed with Dave over this ^_^';'

• Options
    RobD said:

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

Except Scotland......
    Think of it as Pooling and Sharing our decisions.
  • Options

Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

Stephen Bush ‏@stephenkb

Labour source dismissive of the idea that Clegg could be involved in the 1-on-1: "He's no more credible as a Prime Minister than you are."
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

90 minutes Prime Time - serious ad revenues to turn down.
  • Options
    Has Russia Today outlined the format for its Leaders Debate yet?

• Options

But the people making the most fuss have zero intention of ever voting for Cameron.

Which is why it's not a great idea to give them something to make a fuss about.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

Watch and learn.

And try to imagine a 1 to 1 debate, with one of the 1s absent and the other 1 is ed. It will be hilarious, I promise you. A vagina monologue, you might say.
  • Options
    Dair said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

Except Scotland......
    Think of it as Pooling and Sharing our decisions.
    Cheeky!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sky News & Kay Burley specifically clearly not impressed with Dave over this ^_^';'

Will Kay grab someone's throat and throttle them in her temper?

• Options
    @Tissue_Price
    Cammo going for a core vote strategy?
    A "brave" move given the current state of the polls, but no doubt a cunning master stroke.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Smarmeron said:

@isam
    The debates themselves would only be a short term hit. The story is now about Cammo avoiding them.

"The debates themselves would only be a short term hit."

Actually they wouldn't.

I don't think Cameron cares about taking on MiIiband, he just doesn't want the main campaign to just consist of three noisy debates, which it is in danger of doing. Hence why he was happy to do them earlier, which the broadcasters ignored.

• Options
    edited March 2015

Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

Stephen Bush ‏@stephenkb

Labour source dismissive of the idea that Clegg could be involved in the 1-on-1: "He's no more credible as a Prime Minister than you are."
    :smiley::smiley::smiley:

• Options
    @MarkHopkins
    It is a nasty left wing conspiracy! Dave should declare marshall law and have himself anointed god emperor (as is his birthright)
  • Options
    Cameron doesn't want the debates because they put others (notably Ed) on his level.

By the same logic, a 6-way isn't great for Ed. "I'm not voting for Cowardly Cameron™, so here's my chance to decide which party to vote against him with."
  • Options
    First Saturday ARSE with added APLOMB General Election & "JackW Dozen" Projection Countdown :

15 hours 15 minutes 15 seconds
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Stick to your guns Dave..the rest of them are having knee trembles right now..great fun to watch.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Disappointed to hear that Ed has basically just aping Cameron on the oldie vote. All those bungs in place, except for a tiny tiny % of wealthy oldies who wont get heating payments, and I bet when they have means tested it all, all the admin etc, probably not going to save any money.

Previously Ed Balls especially made it sound like Labour might actually get tough on all those oldie freebies, but no, just more red tape to ensure that a tiny number of people don't get their heating bung.

Sign of things to come on cuts?
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

Watch and learn.

And try to imagine a 1 to 1 debate, with one of the 1s absent and the other 1 is ed. It will be hilarious, I promise you. A vagina monologue, you might say.
    The third debate will die in the courts anyway, it breaks every Ofcom rule. Should have been struck down in 2010 until one of the most bizarre legal decisions I can think of. Unlikely to be repeated.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Ishmael_X said:

Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

Watch and learn.

They'll bring in others instead. There'll be 3 debates in one form or another. The broadcasters spent years trying to get them, and they won't want to open the door to future leaders being able to back out.

Cameron needed to offer them a better carrot than a single shared debate
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,020
    From Labour's point of view the best ( and most likely ) outcome is that the debate between Miliband and Cameron doesn't take place.

A lot of the damage to Cameron's credibility has already happened and they can now chase him round with chickens. They can mention it at every interview and Tory attacks on Milibands character have been blunted.

The danger for Labour if the debate did take place was that Cameron might come out of it well.

Better we never find out.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Neil said:

Has Russia Today outlined the format for its Leaders Debate yet?

Its a relaunched version of the "Midmoscow Murders" only the investigation strangely never identifies the culprit.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tissue_Price

'By the same logic, a 6-way isn't great for Ed. "I'm not voting for Cowardly Cameron™, so here's my chance to decide which party to vote against him with."

Actually Ed would look quite good if he's standing next to the dopey woman from Plaid.
  • Options

Disappointed to hear that Ed has basically just aping Cameron on the oldie vote. All those bungs in place, except for a tiny tiny % of wealthy oldies who wont get heating payments, and I bet when they have means tested it all, all the admin etc, probably not going to save any money.

Previously Ed Balls especially made it sound like Labour might actually get tough on all those oldie freebies, but no, just more red tape to ensure that a tiny number of people don't get their heating bung.

Sign of things to come on cuts?

Realpolitik of high coffin dodger pensioner VI ;)
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@isam

"The debates themselves would only be a short term hit."

Actually they wouldn't.

I don't think Cameron cares about taking on MiIiband, he just doesn't want the main campaign to just consist of three noisy debates, which it is in danger of doing. Hence why he was happy to do them earlier, which the broadcasters ignored.

As is repeatedly highlighted most people switch off politics until just before the election. If the debates were earlier they would end up being Westminster village wonk affairs which is presumably why Cameron wanted them early but why the TV companies would not.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2015
    Like Britain in 1940, Dave stands alone, defiant.

Not a bad position to be in if you're claiming to be a leader.

The others follow broadcasters' orders. Doesn't make them look very strong, does it?
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Ishmael_X said:

Dair said:

Utter stupidity.

Watch and learn.

They'll bring in others instead. There'll be 3 debates in one form or another. The broadcasters spent years trying to get them, and they won't want to open the door to future leaders being able to back out.

Cameron needed to offer them a better carrot than a single shared debate
    I'm not sure that would go down well, especially as there is no deadline for Cameron to say he will be attending. The broadcaster can't just say "oh, it looks like he isn't coming, so we'll change the format entirely.l".
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Mr. W, Cameron has stated for years he thought the debates should happen earlier and be more spaced out. Broadcasters ignored that.

Of course, he does look evasive, but as I loathe the debates, it doesn't bother me.

The risk isn't one way. Aside from the 'six squabbling idiots' scenario I outlined below, if the media and other politicians bang on about this ad infinitum, it'll annoy voters who want to know about things like taxation rates, the deficit, and so forth. There comes a point where complaining becomes whining.

The broadcasters ignored the PM's early debates because he doesn't determine the time scale and all other parties were signed up to them and Cameron was quite happy, even enthusiastic for campaign debates in 2010.

As a supporter of the Coalition I am dismayed at the PM's stance. The blame lies with him and his idiot advisers. The majority of the public will also know where the problem lies and it is squarely in No10.

• Options
    JackW said:

As I indicated previously Cameron's advisers on the debates issue need their goolies placed in mangle pour encourager les autres from future election stupidity....

Very true and there are two main advisers to Cameron. Osborne and Crosby. Osborne carries the scars from his daft support for the debates (in that format) at the last GE. So it is puzzling that Crosby agrees. Or does Crosby think that? We will find out at some point in the future.
    Cameron has a better image overall than Miliband. But one of his few negatives is appearing to look out of touch. This decision reinforces that image.
This discussion has been closed.