Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov poll for the Sunday Times

2»

Comments

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:

@Coral: After a rush of bets in the last 24 hours, we've suspended betting on the next Doctor Who. Looks like Rory Kinnear is set to land the role.

Denis Thatcher in The Long Walk To Finchley.

• Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

7% say North Korea is friendly???!!! That's a lot of nutters.

3% say North Korea is an ally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the F*************.........????

TBF there are two different Koreas right next to each other, it's quite hard to keep track of which is which unless you pay a bit of attention to the news.
    I don't know about you ,Edmund, but I spend a fair amount of time in bars explaining the difference between Scotland and England to Japanese people :)

I generally demur rather than attempt to explain any more complex UK/Great Britain matters...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

EdmundinTokyo - Yes, but a plurality at least are. Even if Cameron took back only half the UKIP vote that would take the Tories to 37%, exactly the same score Labour got in the last ComRes!

Sure, but on reasonable assumptions if 7% are drifting back to Con then maybe 3% are drifting back to Lab.
    :yeah-but:

How much of the Labour vote will return to the losers Lib-Dhimmis? You're using a single-regression equation to model a multiple-linear regression...!

:derh:
    Obviously the UKIP vote isn't the only factor, but it's the one HYUFD was talking about.

Since you ask, I wouldn't expect much slippage back of the former LibDem vote that are currently polling for Lab, especially in Con/Lab marginals. They generally seem to be quite narked off about the coalition.
    If i were a betting man, I'd guess that the Con->UKIP defectors are older and more certain to vote than the Lab->UKIP defectors. Also,the Con->UKIP ones have been there for longer (i suspect). therefore there is a good chance that more Lab->UKIP might disappear back into the non-voting cohort?
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    "I don't know about you ,Edmund, but I spend a fair amount of time in bars explaining the difference between Scotland and England to Japanese people"

I've long since come to the conclusion that life's too short for trying to explain that to non-native English speakers, or even to some Americans. I do make an issue of it with English people, though - they really should know better, but vast numbers of them don't.

My biggest irritation was listening to an English tour guide in Aberystwyth explaining to a group of Japanese (or Korean) tourists what Wales is. Apparently it's a "special region" of England.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited June 2013

HYUFD said:

EdmundinTokyo - Yes, but a plurality at least are. Even if Cameron took back only half the UKIP vote that would take the Tories to 37%, exactly the same score Labour got in the last ComRes!

Sure, but on reasonable assumptions if 7% are drifting back to Con then maybe 3% are drifting back to Lab.

How much of the Labour vote will return to the losers Lib-Dhimmis? You're using a single-regression equation to model a multiple-linear regression...!

Obviously the UKIP vote isn't the only factor, but it's the one HYUFD was talking about.

Since you ask, I wouldn't expect much slippage back of the former LibDem vote that are currently polling for Lab, especially in Con/Lab marginals. They generally seem to be quite narked off about the coalition.
    If i were a betting man, I'd guess that the Con->UKIP defectors are older and more certain to vote than the Lab->UKIP defectors. Also,the Con->UKIP ones have been there for longer (i suspect). therefore there is a good chance that more Lab->UKIP might disappear back into the non-voting cohort?
    It's precisely because the Cons=>UKIP (poll) defectors are older that they are more likely to return to the Cons - they have been Cons voters a whole lot longer than they have been telling pollsters that they intend to vote UKIP. And they are, um, conservatives. So when push comes to shove on the ballot paper, expect a majority (I would say 60% plus) to vote Cons (again).

The stickier UKIP voters I would categorise as those similar to our Sam here. Younger, more open to new ideas and taking a strong (in this case NOTA - apols Sam if this is incorrect) opinion on the world and our place in it.

Of course, Sam was a Labour supporter until recently....
  • Options
    "Of course, Sam was a Labour supporter until recently...."

As was Plato. Allegedly.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tnewtondunn: So @edballsmp is now watering down his pensions cap. On #bbcsp it was on "pension spending". Lab now say "overall spending on pensioners".
  • Options
    @nicholaswatt: Labour rows back from @edballsmp remarks to @afneil that pensions in welfare cap. Source: We are totally committed to the triple lock #bbcsp
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,340
    edited June 2013
    An interesting aspect aspect of the Con/UKIP switcher discussion is the relative absence of an "OMG no!" factor about EdM - the Tories successfully got waverers thinking that about Gordon and previously Neil Kinnock, but failed with Blair, Callaghan, Wilson and arguably (though never really tested) John Smith. The Tory strategy seems to hinge on saying to UKIP voters "If you don't come back Cameron will be replaced by Miliband and that will be MUCH WORSE", to which said UKIP voters are currently saying "meh".
  • Options
    Self-selecting Mirror poll on how old the new Doctor Who should be -

Under 25 - 17%
    25-40 - 59%
    40-60 - 14%
    Over - 10%

Given that the norm always used to be 40-55, and that no under-25 has ever played the role, it's a bit peculiar that more people want someone under 25 than a 40-60 year old. The same cult of youth that has infected our politics seems to be spreading to our Doctor preferences.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    700 Ukipers at the South East spring conference at Frimley.
    http://www.ukip.org/index.php/newsroom/news/670-se-conference-programme

Wonderful atmosphere and many interesting speeches. UKIP at it's best.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I see most recent posters are fantasizing in their various ways of UKIP imploding. It won't! Stop dreaming, your worst nightmare is here to stay.
  • Options
    'MI5 spies told: stay out of referendum'

A senior Nationalist has written to the head of the UK's Security Service and asked for an assurance that MI5 spies will not interfere in the independence referendum.

Margo MacDonald MSP, who says she believes there are undercover agents operating in the SNP, told MI5 chief Andrew Parker that his staff should only be used to thwart criminal and terrorist acts, rather than engage in dirty tricks against those who support Scottish independence.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/mi5-spies-told-stay-out-of-referendum.21143916

Well said, Margo.
  • Options

Self-selecting Mirror poll on how old the new Doctor Who should be -

Under 25 - 17%
    25-40 - 59%
    40-60 - 14%
    Over - 10%

Given that the norm always used to be 40-55, and that no under-25 has ever played the role, it's a bit peculiar that more people want someone under 25 than a 40-60 year old. The same cult of youth that has infected our politics seems to be spreading to our Doctor preferences.

Dr. Who is a children's programme isn't it ? :)

(Tom Baker is the only true doctor for my age group- so clearly the doctor ought to be , what,80-odd?
    )
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    OT for anyone watching US TV new show releases - here's the countdown list for broadcast dates - http://eztv.it/countdown/

For anyone tempted to watch the old Simon Baker [The Mentalist] series The Guardian - save those minutes and spend them doing something more pleasurable, like standing on a plug.

Its just dreadful - and annoying. I can't recall the last time I saw such an unlikeable cast since Mad Men.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    "Dr. Who is a children's programme isn't it ? :)"

In my opinion it isn't. It's a family programme intended for both children and adults.

This has the distinction of being the only subject on which I've ever agreed with Tom Harris on Twitter.

PS. Welcome back, Plato! We've missed you!
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    @PBModerator

I saw your posting yesterday, am delighted and will comply with your request.

I hope for everyone else's sake its enforced.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    MODERATED
  • Options

"Dr. Who is a children's programme isn't it ? :)"

In my opinion it isn't. It's a family programme intended for both children and adults.

This has the distinction of being the only subject on which I've ever agreed with Tom Harris on Twitter.

sorry for that. i actually haven't watched it in its recent incarnations. is it actually good, these days?

• Options
    "sorry for that. i actually haven't watched it in its recent incarnations. is it actually good, these days?"

It certainly has its moments. I prefer the original series, though.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

It's precisely because the Cons=>UKIP (poll) defectors are older that they are more likely to return to the Cons - they have been Cons voters a whole lot longer than they have been telling pollsters that they intend to vote UKIP. And they are, um, conservatives. So when push comes to shove on the ballot paper, expect a majority (I would say 60% plus) to vote Cons (again).

The stickier UKIP voters I would categorise as those similar to our Sam here. Younger, more open to new ideas and taking a strong (in this case NOTA - apols Sam if this is incorrect) opinion on the world and our place in it.

the younger, more open to new ideas voters would though presumably be also less likely to vote based on their age...
  • Options
    Hard to argue with this -

traquir ‏@traquir
    Alistair Darling prefers "utterly mad" Tory policies to Scots governing Scots
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

"I saw your posting yesterday, am delighted and will comply with your request."

So no more cat videos? You may be delighted, Plato, but I can assure you the rest of us are in mourning.

Why are you bothering with this relentlessly boring baiting of Plato?

Surely you realise you will get banned soon? Or is that what you want so you can moan about how unfair it all is?

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    "Anyone know when that rumored military coup in France, (as mentioned on here yesterday),is due by the way? I need cheering up. "

@davethecon I doubt we would see a military coup in France, but I did ask around on twitter a few weeks ago if there was betting market up on Hollande not lasting out his Presidency? He really doesn't look or feel like a man in control of his country or his political destiny these days.
  • Options
    "Why are you bothering with this relentlessly boring baiting of Plato?"

I think we established yesterday that you and I have very different senses of humour, so there's probably not much point in you trying to understand.

As for whether I get banned for such a cretinous reason, that's a matter for others, but rest assured I would complain about it, yes. Loudly and at length. I comply with all reasonable requests, such as refraining from talking about subjects that would cause legal problems. That's as far as it goes, and as far as it should be expected to go.
  • Options
    isam said:

"I saw your posting yesterday, am delighted and will comply with your request."

So no more cat videos? You may be delighted, Plato, but I can assure you the rest of us are in mourning.

Why are you bothering with this relentlessly boring baiting of Plato?

Surely you realise you will get banned soon? Or is that what you want so you can moan about how unfair it all is?

something to do with socratic methods...

why so many greeks and not many german philosophers on pb...
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

You might be right in thinking that they are 'conservatives' but you might be very wrong that they're going to vite Conservative.

These are people who have for decades voted Conservative in the belief that the Conservative party's role was to support 'people like me'.

They have now discovered that the Conservative leadership despise 'people like me' and they feel somewhat betrayed.

The idea that they will meekly return to voting Conservative in 2015 is extremely complacent.

The complacency of the Conservative leadership is another of its faults along with its arrogance and insecurity.
  • Options
    As stated yesterday, all posts that are cynically censored will henceforth be appearing elsewhere. I see this process will now have to begin.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Is that right? Or is it the case these former Conservative voters feel like the long suffering wife of a very difficult and increasingly abusive husband who she suspected of having an affair with someone with the initals E.U. and now has found out not only that is true but that her philandering husband is now having a rather public fling with another individual with initials L.D and is behaving in a rather absurdly juvenile manner as part of some mid-life crisis?

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Geography classes in the US leave something to be desired. I'm scared sh*tless that one of the 1% who think Britain is an enemy gets voted in as President!

You mean again...

Thank goodness for term limits ;-)
  • Options
    What amazes me is while Tories obsess about their lost voters and UKIP. Ed Balls is dreaming up what in Labour terms might be described as a 'State Pension Tax'.

Ed Balls: Labour will include pensions in its welfare cap

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/06/ed-balls-well-include-pensions-in-our-welfare-cap/

No wonder these Tories are losing. They are so bloody crap at politics
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

'MI5 spies told: stay out of referendum'

Margo MacDonald MSP, who says she believes there are undercover agents operating in the SNP, told MI5 chief Andrew Parker that his staff should only be used to thwart criminal and terrorist acts, rather than engage in dirty tricks against those who support Scottish independence.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/mi5-spies-told-stay-out-of-referendum.21143916

Well said, Margo.

In mentioning criminal acts, she seems to approve of Tony Blair's recasting of MI5 as a secret police force. Civil liberties will seem as quaint in an independent Scotland as in the United Kingdom.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900

An interesting aspect aspect of the Con/UKIP switcher discussion is the relative absence of an "OMG no!" factor about EdM - the Tories successfully got waverers thinking that about Gordon and previously Neil Kinnock, but failed with Blair, Callaghan, Wilson and arguably (though never really tested) John Smith. The Tory strategy seems to hinge on saying to UKIP voters "If you don't come back Cameron will be replaced by Miliband and that will be MUCH WORSE", to which said UKIP voters are currently saying "meh".

I'm sure that will be a big part of the election campaign. Ukip voters generally (and they're not a homogenous group) aren't fond of Cameron, the Conservatives and the government (obviously) but all the polling shows they dislike Labour and Miliband even more.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

"Why are you bothering with this relentlessly boring baiting of Plato?"

I think we established yesterday that you and I have very different senses of humour, so there's probably not much point in you trying to understand.

As for whether I get banned for such a cretinous reason, that's a matter for others, but rest assured I would complain about it, yes. Loudly and at length. I comply with all reasonable requests, such as refraining from talking about subjects that would cause legal problems. That's as far as it goes, and as far as it should be expected to go.

Oh yes I remember now, those side splitting tweets you copied and pasted!

You'd complain loudly and at length? Yes I think we can agree on that one!

• Options

traquir ‏@traquir

Which bit of, say, 1997-2010 didn't have Scots or Scottish-connected people governing Scotland?
  • Options

traquir ‏@traquir

It's dead easy

Alistair Darling prefers UK Government policies to "utterly mad" SNP fantasy
  • Options
    edited June 2013

As stated yesterday, all posts that are cynically censored will henceforth be appearing elsewhere. I see this process will now have to begin.

Do us a favour and post the link to your website can you?

That way when we don't read it it's a deliberate choice rather than just laziness

Cheers!
  • Options

No wonder these Tories are losing. They are so bloody crap at politics

Are they as bad as Ed Balls? Labour have spent all day issuing "clarifications" that when he said cap spending on pensions he did not mean "cap", "spending" or "pensions"

Meanwhile

@benedictbrogan: If we can now talk about spending on the elderly, George Osborne will have another reason to thank Ed Balls http://tgr.ph/1029pu8
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    New thread, a poll poll on electoral voting systems The 2014 Euros
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2013
    "Margo MacDonald MSP, who says she believes there are undercover agents operating in the SNP."

I have to agree with Margo on this occassion. The entire SNP front bench has been acting in a suspicious manner for over a year. She should name names.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Is that right? Or is it the case these former Conservative voters feel like the long suffering wife of a very difficult and increasingly abusive husband who she suspected of having an affair with someone with the initals E.U. and now has found out not only that is true but that her philandering husband is now having a rather public fling with another individual with initials L.D and is behaving in a rather absurdly juvenile manner as part of some mid-life crisis?

I think such voters are seriously irritated, some outraged at some of the EU legislation that touches them.

That said, we are talking about people not only who have grown up conservative (both "C"s) but have lived with the EU for almost 40 years.

To wrench those away from in many instances what has been a social if not societal support and mutual interest group for the "young kid on the block" is asking a lot. It's not complacent but don't ask such people to shift around as the polls suggest they might. I agree that the Cons themselves are complacent squared but really? I think they are right to take a core element of their vote for granted. Every party does it.

and @dugarbandier - younger less likely to vote? Perhaps - but IMO if you are going to think strongly enough about politics to have such opinions then that might make up for your natural youthful disinclination to vote in the first place.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,983
    Scott_P said:

traquir ‏@traquir

It's dead easy

Alistair Darling prefers UK Government policies to "utterly mad" SNP fantasy
    Darling would do anything for money , he has no principles , flip , flip , flip
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,983
    Charles said:

Do us a favour and post the link to your website can you?

That way when we don't read it it's a deliberate choice rather than just laziness

Cheers!
    Too much champers today old boy,

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Millsy said:

I'm sure that will be a big part of the election campaign. Ukip voters generally (and they're not a homogenous group) aren't fond of Cameron, the Conservatives and the government (obviously) but all the polling shows they dislike Labour and Miliband even more.
    Expectations of Ed Miliband are so low for the campaign, and premiership that he only needs to become mediocre to exceed them. His crapness is already priced into the voteshares.

It is the lack of talent elsewhere on the shadow front bench that really appals. If Ed Balls is the best they have got for possible shadow chancellor.

Ed M could impress me with his leadership if he got shot of Balls. If he keeps him it would be a sign of weakness that would be ominous. He needs to show that he can take "tough decisions".
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited June 2013
    @JamesKelly

You told me that you don't have issues. Prove it.

I understand that you are trying to create a meme on your blog but - sadly - most people don't hate you. It is just that you are:
    • tedious,
    • dull,
    • confused,
    • lacking social manners, and (quite frankly) are posting yourself as
    • a tedious, dull, confused troll lacking social manners.
    You may wish to ramp your site as a result of your [mis-]behaviour: no doubt your followers probably are similiarly qualified in interweb skills. What you seek to achieve is failing: Please turn back into a normal* poster before you are "low-vized".

:back-from-pub-so-an-hour-lost:

* typo: May have confused those outwith home-skills (a.k.a washing, cooking, using-the-lavatory)....
  • Options
    Good evening, Fluffy. As incomprehensible as ever, which I think means I can safely say my sensibilities are intact.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    fitalass - There were also rumours of a military coup against Wilson
This discussion has been closed.