Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some interesting poll findings

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    edited March 2015
    Charles said:

Charles said:

I only caught the last three mins of PMQ's

Dave seemed to be needling poor old Ed Balls.. was there a punch up?

Sadly it says much for Iain Dale's perspicacity these days that he thinks Ed Balls ''has a great sense of humour and in reality is a thoroughly nice guy''. His column does make one good point - ''Whoever wins Kensington should be someone who you could imagine in ten years’ time leading the Conservative Party and then the country.''
    hell no!

I want an MP who will care about the constituency, not some favorite of David Cameron he wants to help up the greasy pole.
    And then you will be complaining about the poor quality of some future PM/leader candidate list...
    The issue is not one of being a 'friend'... it is rather one of the executive coming from the legislature. There are enough thick tory backbenchers as it is who will rather grandstand and make the party unelectable. A seat like Kensington offers a good opportunity for the local party to actually think about the party. I do not think that is too selfish.
    The local party should be thinking about their fellow constituents, not the party.

The job of an MP is to represent Kensington.

Neither Portillo or Rifkind had any interest - I only once saw Rifkind in 10 years of living here - he arrived late and left early from the annual Mayor's Service at St. Mary Abbot's
    Safeseatitis, infests every party I'm afraid. If some more of your fellow constituents decided to vote for other parties, your local MP might give two hoots about th constituency. As it is a donkey with a blue rosette would win in K&C. This is one reason the seeming SLAB purge is so good for democracy, no safe seats up there !
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

@BuzzFeedUKPol: Shocking news about Sir Menzies Campbell: http://t.co/qSxKhjKLI5

can't open twitter - what does it say?
    "Jihadi unmasked
    Former LibDem Leader Sir Menzies Campbell MP"
    I always thought there was something dodgy about him.
    I still can't believe how stupid his question at his first PMQs as acting leader was.

Sir Menzies [...] asked why "one in five schools do not have a permanent head".

As Mr Blair's backbenchers pointed at the leaderless Lib Dems, the PM didn't miss the open goal gifted by Sir Menzies: "It can be difficult to find a permanent head of an organisation when the post is vacant - particularly if it is a failing organisation."

http://www.theguardian.com/news/blog/2006/jan/11/mercilessonmi
    That article mentions Mark "too disgusting to be described in a family newspaper" Oaten...a name I'd not heard for so long I'd forgotten that I'd forgotten...
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Financier said:

Election 2015: Who do you think would be the best party of government for the construction industry?

Labour 24%
    Conservatives 58%
    Liberal Democrat 2%
    Green 3%
    UKIP 6%
    Other 7%

Thank you for voting

Construction News: http://www.cnplus.co.uk/?cm_ven=ExactTarget&cm_cat=CN_Pro_EM1_04032015&cm_pla=All+Subscribers&cm_lm=shellyjfellows@yahoo.co.uk&WT.tsrc=email&WT.mc_id=CN_Pro_EM1_04032015&&

One presumes that's the bosses, most of the white van men actually doing the construction seem to be kippers.
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

If the other debates don't go ahead, I don't think Ofcom rules will allow the Sky head to head to go ahead either.

Not true - just have to allocate time - not format dependant.
    Says nothing about time here:

6.9 If a candidate takes part in an item about his/her particular constituency, or electoral area, then candidates of each of the major parties must be offered the opportunity to take part. (However, if they refuse or are unable to participate, the item may nevertheless go ahead.)

Now I take it that the 'item' in this case would be the debates. If no other debates take place then the Sky debate becomes the 'item'.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/elections/
    Yes but they are not debates about a specific constituency or electoral area.
    So the United Kingdom is not a specific electoral area? OK......

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    edited March 2015
    Sean_F said:

WRT Lord Ashcroft, his polls have given an average lead of 1% to the Conservatives this year, equivalent to a swing of 3% from Con to Lab.

That's the benchmark we should use to see how the big two are doing in the marginal seats.

But no real consistency:

Ashcroft Nationals so far this year:

11th Jan = Con +6
    18th Jan = Con +1
    25th Jan = tie
    1st Feb = tie
    8th Feb = Con +3
    15th Feb = Lab +1
    22nd Feb = Lab +4
    1st Mar = Con +3
  • Options

Sean_F said:

WRT Lord Ashcroft, his polls have given an average lead of 1% to the Conservatives this year, equivalent to a swing of 3% from Con to Lab.

That's the benchmark we should use to see how the big two are doing in the marginal seats.

But no real consistency:

11th Jan = Con +6
    18th Jan = Con +1
    25th Jan = tie
    1st Feb = tie
    8th Feb = Con +3
    15th Feb = Lab +1
    22nd Feb = Lab +4
    1st Mar = Con +3
    The inconsistency gives the polls a believability - use a moving average, Sunil :@)
  • Options
    When are these polls due out - 6 or 4 ?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Sean_F said:

Charles said:

@BuzzFeedUKPol: Shocking news about Sir Menzies Campbell: http://t.co/qSxKhjKLI5

can't open twitter - what does it say?
    "Jihadi unmasked
    Former LibDem Leader Sir Menzies Campbell MP"
    I always thought there was something dodgy about him.
    I still can't believe how stupid his question at his first PMQs as acting leader was.

Sir Menzies [...] asked why "one in five schools do not have a permanent head".

As Mr Blair's backbenchers pointed at the leaderless Lib Dems, the PM didn't miss the open goal gifted by Sir Menzies: "It can be difficult to find a permanent head of an organisation when the post is vacant - particularly if it is a failing organisation."

http://www.theguardian.com/news/blog/2006/jan/11/mercilessonmi
    That article mentions Mark "too disgusting to be described in a family newspaper" Oaten...a name I'd not heard for so long I'd forgotten that I'd forgotten...
    And also the "unknown" Chris Huhne. Happy times.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    GIN1138 said:

I *think* this is Tim's Twitter?

https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius

Apologies if not...

Everyone knows that the country's most popular heir-to-a-baronetcy is a "master strategist" not a "genius strategist" ;)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Alex Salmond has a book out this month apparently
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Sean_F said:

But no real consistency:

11th Jan = Con +6
    18th Jan = Con +1
    25th Jan = tie
    1st Feb = tie
    8th Feb = Con +3
    15th Feb = Lab +1
    22nd Feb = Lab +4
    1st Mar = Con +3
    They must be being done by different companies.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited March 2015
    Anything in the region of a 3-4% Con to Lab swing in the English marginals would be pretty normal. None of Lord Ashcroft's previous marginal polling in Conservative seats has tended to diverge too much from the national picture. I think this will be his first Con/Lab polling since the Greens have edged up as well.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    Alistair said:

"David Cameron - My Part in his Downfall"?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Is it about his fishing trip to Yemen?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
  • Options
    I'm interested that so many of the PB commentariat are adamant that an MP's first obligation is to the constituency. If we had 650 super constituency MPs it is unlikely we'd have a coherent government. I'm sure it's unfashionable but I think an MP's obligations are:
    1. Vote for or against legislation in a way that helps the country progress. An MPs primary job is to vote.
    2. Provide some human material from which to resource the government
    3. Do the necessary for their constituency
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Alistair said:

How to fillet Sturgeon.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Alistair said:

"David Cameron - My Part in his Downfall"?
    45% shades of Grey.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited March 2015

Crickey...ISIS funded by little old ladies shocker.

My word .... first Sir Ming and now his wife Lady Elspeth. :hushed: :

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Alistair said:

"When a nation says No she means Yes" ?

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,049

Charles said:

Sadly it says much for Iain Dale's perspicacity these days that he thinks Ed Balls ''has a great sense of humour and in reality is a thoroughly nice guy''. His column does make one good point - ''Whoever wins Kensington should be someone who you could imagine in ten years’ time leading the Conservative Party and then the country.''
    hell no!

I want an MP who will care about the constituency, not some favorite of David Cameron he wants to help up the greasy pole.
    And then you will be complaining about the poor quality of some future PM/leader candidate list...
    The issue is not one of being a 'friend'... it is rather one of the executive coming from the legislature. There are enough thick tory backbenchers as it is who will rather grandstand and make the party unelectable. A seat like Kensington offers a good opportunity for the local party to actually think about the party. I do not think that is too selfish.
    A perfect example of what is wrong with politics today. Party before constituency or country.
    Shameful.
    That's party politics for you. Same in any democracy in the world.

At least we've got FPTP which mitigates it, far worse in PR-nations where all that matters is being on the party list and forget about constituencies.

Agree entirely. That's why I oppose anything that increases party influence in the political system - not least PR.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited March 2015

I see we will have another new idiot in parliament in a few weeks time...

http://labourlist.org/2015/03/kenny-young-selected-as-labours-candidate-for-midlothian/

I believe he would have to win to become "another new idiot in parliament in a few weeks".

That isn't likely. But an 8000 SNP majority certainly is.
  • Options
    Dair said:

http://labourlist.org/2015/03/kenny-young-selected-as-labours-candidate-for-midlothian/

I believe he would have to win to become "another new idiot in parliament in a few weeks".

I know Labour are doing badly in Scotland, but last GE Labour got 47% of the vote in that constituency. Has it radically altered from 5 years ago?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Dair said:

15% swing needed, 43% Yes vote. Looks tight to me. But the SNP perhaps favourites.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Dair said:

I know Labour are doing badly in Scotland, but last GE Labour got 47% of the vote in that constituency. Has it radically altered from 5 years ago?
    47% of the vote means NOTHING on it's own this time round. Look at Coatbridge from 67% of the vote to behind.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/02/coatbridge-chryston-bellshill/
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

I *think* this is Tim's Twitter?

https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius

Apologies if not...

Everyone knows that the country's most popular heir-to-a-baronetcy is a "master strategist" not a "genius strategist" ;)
    I wasn't aware Viscount Thurso's son James was so acclaimed but I'll take your word for it.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

47% of the vote means NOTHING on it's own this time round. Look at Coatbridge from 67% of the vote to behind.

Obviously different constituency, but fair point...I still struggling to get to grips with just how bad Labour are polling in Scotland, where constituencies like Midlothian that have been Labour since 1950's might actually vote for somebody else.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

Obviously different constituency, but fair point...I still struggling to get to grips with just how bad Labour are polling in Scotland, where constituencies like Midlothian that have been Labour since 1950's might actually vote for somebody else.
    So was everyone else including all the bookmakers for ages.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

15% swing needed, 43% Yes vote. Looks tight to me. But the SNP perhaps favourites.
    Remember that 43% of a turnout of 84% means Midlothian has a potential 30k voters to be targetted by the SNP. Obviously turnout will be lower but I can't see Labour holding up any significant number of their 18k votes in 2010 given the state of their party.

We already know that Liberal vote is annihilated and mainly going to the SNP (remember that 30% Liberal share in Glasgow North).

So we're looking at 20k SNP, 12k Labour, 1k Liberal, same Tory 5k based on a 63% turnout, if it's higher then it will be a higher SNP margin, IMO.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

hell no!

The local party should be thinking about their fellow constituents, not the party.

Neither Portillo or Rifkind had any interest - I only once saw Rifkind in 10 years of living here - he arrived late and left early from the annual Mayor's Service at St. Mary Abbot's
    Safeseatitis, infests every party I'm afraid. If some more of your fellow constituents decided to vote for other parties, your local MP might give two hoots about th constituency. As it is a donkey with a blue rosette would win in K&C. This is one reason the seeming SLAB purge is so good for democracy, no safe seats up there !
    I know - although it's not as safe as reputation has it (majority of only 9,000).

I'd rather have multi-member seats precisely to address this
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Patrick said:

I'm interested that so many of the PB commentariat are adamant that an MP's first obligation is to the constituency. If we had 650 super constituency MPs it is unlikely we'd have a coherent government. I'm sure it's unfashionable but I think an MP's obligations are:
    1. Vote for or against legislation in a way that helps the country progress. An MPs primary job is to vote.

1. To represent the views of the constituency the MP was elected in
    2. To hold the government to account and defend the best interests of the nation
    3. To address the issues raised by their constituents and seek solutions as appropriate.

Personally I am less and less convinced that MPs should be members of the government because the payroll vote only rarely acts in any other way than in the vested interest of the Government and the Governing Party.

PS You think we have coherent government now? Interesting........
  • Options

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

If the other debates don't go ahead, I don't think Ofcom rules will allow the Sky head to head to go ahead either.

6.9 If a candidate takes part in an item about his/her particular constituency, or electoral area, then candidates of each of the major parties must be offered the opportunity to take part. (However, if they refuse or are unable to participate, the item may nevertheless go ahead.)

Now I take it that the 'item' in this case would be the debates. If no other debates take place then the Sky debate becomes the 'item'.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/elections/

There is no one standing to be MP for the United Kingdom
  • Options
    A pretty good article on the realities of where we'll likely end up in May:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/ukip-general-election-snp-2015-3
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2015
    GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

@GOsborneGenius Looks like a very angry twitter account, definitely close to certain that's Tim.

Hope he doesn't get himself into trouble on there... No OGH to keep him in check and we all know what can happen when he get's carried away....

There are quite a few libellous tweets from that tweeting tw@t already.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

You're missing the point of constituency responsibility. It's not the super-social-worker-big-council-representative role that @NickPalmer advocates.

It's to represent the interests of the constituency and the electorate in scrutinising and voting on government proposals. So not that different to your point 1

It's your point 2 that's the issue. I don't want an MP whose eyes are so focused on #10 that I never get to see them.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Depends on your definition of 'electoral area'. If it is an area which contains electors...
  • Options
    edited March 2015

GIN1138 said:

Pulpstar said:

@GOsborneGenius Looks like a very angry twitter account, definitely close to certain that's Tim.

Hope he doesn't get himself into trouble on there... No OGH to keep him in check and we all know what can happen when he get's carried away....

There are quite a few libellous tweets from that tweeting tw@t already.
    He might want to be careful (in fact all tweeters), one MP and one of his former infatuations has taken a stand,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/george-galloway-demanding-5000-from-twitter-users-over-antisemitism-libel-10077205.html
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,039
    Good afternoon, everyone.

There's a serious issue beyond party political manoeuvring for the debates. It plays a significant role in the next election, and the decision on whether to proceed and, if so, how to proceed should not be something dictated by those with vested interests. That includes broadcasters. An overmighty broadcast media is as bad as an overmighty print media, and we should not have the likes of Sky, ITV and the BBC seeking to wag the democratic dog.

Some means needs to be found to tightly define those who ought to be invited. Of course, I'm happy for the debates not to go ahead, as they're horrendous, atrocious and despicable in almost every regard, but if they do occur they should be as fair as possible (and the worm must absolutely be scrapped).
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Charles said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Yes but the two protagonists in this particular debate are standing to be Prime Minister and form the Government of the United Kingdom. If this is about constituencies why doesn't it include all the parties that will be standing in most of the constituencies? You can't have it both ways (as you seem to want) which is I suspect why the rules are written the way they are!
  • Options
    Charles

That is a pretty strong argument for separatating the executive from the legislature. But since we are a parliamentary democracy that is what you get. It's the prospect of executive power that motivates the serious players not the prospect of spending their lives as lobby fodder.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Dair said:

It seems that there are only 99 members of the Labour Party there who are alive and kicking......
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Patrick said:

Charles

That is a pretty strong argument for separatating the executive from the legislature. But since we are a parliamentary democracy that is what you get. It's the prospect of executive power that motivates the serious players not the prospect of spending their lives as lobby fodder.

And in this respect Kensington offers the opportunity for the local party to select someone who has the potential to be a leader or minister. Not to be THE future leader, but someone who simply has that potential. Its a potential that might not lend itself to 'knockabout politics' or of being tied to a marginal constituency.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

BBC: Stepbrother charged with Becky Watts murder

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

But no real consistency:

11th Jan = Con +6
    18th Jan = Con +1
    25th Jan = tie
    1st Feb = tie
    8th Feb = Con +3
    15th Feb = Lab +1
    22nd Feb = Lab +4
    1st Mar = Con +3
    They must be being done by different companies.
    Perfectly understandable range of outcomes, sample wise. All the sorts of adjustments pollsters make reduces the variation (an error inherent in the polling) but risks replacing it with a new, pollster's error.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    What do PBers feel that MPs should do if they are convinced that policy X will be good for the country but not for their constituency? Is the answer different if constituents feel strongly about it or not? In principle, good is good - but on the other hand, if you don't stand up for the constituency, nobody else will.

I had an example like this when I was an MP - Blair announced the launch of school rebuilding with substantial new resources, prioritised at poorer constituencies. It was clear that my fairly prosperous constituency would benefit late, if ever, so some of our tax money was going to help kids elsewhere.

I told constituents that I thought that general better educational facilities were in all our interests, and it made sense to start in the areas with lowest attainment, which wasn't us. By and large, they went along with this, though I don't think it was ever especially salient (i.e. I mentioned it in a blog, nobody criticised it, and people mostly went "Meh").
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,163
    PClipp said:

Dair said:

It seems that there are only 99 members of the Labour Party there who are alive and kicking......
    Interesting. It's the sort of area which has STILL got soi-disant miners' clubs - such as that at which Mr Brown made one of his interventions at Loanhead during indyref. Yet barring the odd opencast and Monktonhall, there hasn't been any serious mining for decades. In oher words, very much legacy Labour. But Labour lost control of the council for the first time in many, many decades at the last election.

• Options
    Broadcasters have offered to change the date of a planned election debate between David Cameron and Ed Miliband if the leaders agree.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31733898
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2015

What do PBers feel that MPs should do if they are convinced that policy X will be good for the country but not for their constituency? Is the answer different if constituents feel strongly about it or not? In principle, good is good - but on the other hand, if you don't stand up for the constituency, nobody else will.

I had an example like this when I was an MP - Blair announced the launch of school rebuilding with substantial new resources, prioritised at poorer constituencies. It was clear that my fairly prosperous constituency would benefit late, if ever, so some of our tax money was going to help kids elsewhere.

That's not a good example, because the policy wasn't actively bad for the constituency. In that case you should obviously go for what's good for the country as a whole.

A better example would be something like HS2 - if the MP thinks it's a good thing for the country as a whole, but devastatingly bad for the constituency, then he or she should prioritise the constituency.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Charles said:

Charles said:

hell no!

This is all a bit too high and mighty. An MP can think about his constituents but his job is to manage the running of the whole country. By all means an MP can be held accountable, but Parliament has a dual purpose. I am not being party political here - it applies to whichever party.
    What good is it for K&C constituents if the Labour party are in power? What K&C need is a good Conservative PM. A socialist can by all means think about his own prejudices.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I'm come to the same conclusion as you about the sanctimonious God bothering little shit by the way.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Yes but the two protagonists in this particular debate are standing to be Prime Minister and form the Government of the United Kingdom. If this is about constituencies why doesn't it include all the parties that will be standing in most of the constituencies? You can't have it both ways (as you seem to want) which is I suspect why the rules are written the way they are!
    No, they are standing to be MPs for Witney and Doncaster North respectively.

The debates are entirely separate - there is an overarching requirement to be fair in allocating time, but legal precedent doesn't require that every party gets to participate in everything.

Section 6.9 relates to local hustings, etc.
  • Options

That's not a good example, because the policy wasn't actively bad for the constituency. In that case you should obviously go for what's good for the country as a whole.

A better example would be something like HS2 - if the MP thinks it's a good thing for the country as a whole, but devastatingly bad for the constituency, then he or she should prioritise the constituency.
    https://nataschaengelmp.wordpress.com/category/high-speed-two-hs2/
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Charles

Which is why I back separation of powers.

But I don't see why my constituency's interests should be sacrificed so that you get to have a better PM ;)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,416
    And it was all going so well (for 24 hrs)..

Martin Williams ‏@Martin1Williams 7 mins7 minutes ago
    Trading in shares of #Rangers International Football Club plc suspended as WH Ireland, the club's nominated adviser resigns.
  • Options
    What could possibly go wrong...

Can Iraq's army dislodge Islamic State?

some 18,000 PMU fighters are providing the bulk of the troops for the assault.

The PMU are led by Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, who was labelled by the US as a "specially designated global terrorist" in 2009 for his part in attacks on US forces and other targets.

He and many other PMU commanders have worked intensively with Iran's Revolutionary Guard, and continue to draw Iranian and Lebanese Hezbollah advisers into their operations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31723327
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Afternoon all - Lord Ashcroft's constituency polling not up yet?
  • Options

Patrick said:

Charles

And in this respect Kensington offers the opportunity for the local party to select someone who has the potential to be a leader or minister. Not to be THE future leader, but someone who simply has that potential. Its a potential that might not lend itself to 'knockabout politics' or of being tied to a marginal constituency.
    I shall try to post from the selection meeting ;)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Well I'd have no sympathy for an Action Group which writes "How Will This Effect Your Area"!
  • Options

Think that's expected at 6. Not sure where TNS's poll is either?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Patrick said:

Charles

Do you have a date yet?
  • Options

I told constituents that I thought that general better educational facilities were in all our interests, and it made sense to start in the areas with lowest attainment, which wasn't us. By and large, they went along with this, though I don't think it was ever especially salient (i.e. I mentioned it in a blog, nobody criticised it, and people mostly went "Meh").

I'm not sure that's a good example, because most people buy into the concept of richer parts of the country supporting other parts.

A better example is the expansion of Heathrow: probably essential for the country as a whole, but very negative for a specific group of constituents and a highly salient issue. In the main, MPs seem to go with their constituents, which, on balance, is a good thing.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, perhaps they mean 'bring your area into existence' (I believe the grammar would then be sound). If they're polling the future constituents of Atlantis South, or the Sea of Tranquillity, that would be a valid question to ask.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

hell no!

This is all a bit too high and mighty. An MP can think about his constituents but his job is to manage the running of the whole country. By all means an MP can be held accountable, but Parliament has a dual purpose. I am not being party political here - it applies to whichever party.
    What good is it for K&C constituents if the Labour party are in power? What K&C need is a good Conservative PM. A socialist can by all means think about his own prejudices.
    No: they are the representative of their constituency in Westminster. They has no responsibility to the country as a whole unless they are ministers
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Charles said:

I'm not sure that's a good example, because most people buy into the concept of richer parts of the country supporting other parts.

A better example is the expansion of Heathrow: probably essential for the country as a whole, but very negative for a specific group of constituents and a highly salient issue. In the main, MPs seem to go with their constituents, which, on balance, is a good thing.
    "In the main, MPs seem to go with their constituents, which, on balance, is a good thing."

And why not. There's 649 others to represent the rest of the country's interests.

• Options

Charles said:

Patrick said:

Charles

Do you have a date yet?
    13th March, 7.15pm.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

I guess I have a grudging respect for those MP's who, when faced with that dilemma, go full pork-barrel and get the best possible deal for their constituents.

Well, unless all you get in return is an incredibly expensive tunnel.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Patrick said:

Charles

Do you have a date yet?
    13th March, 7.15pm.
    Excellent, thanks. Any news on the shortlist?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

Charles said:

hell no!

A perfect example of what is wrong with politics today. Party before constituency or country.
    Shameful.
    That's party politics for you. Same in any democracy in the world.

At least we've got FPTP which mitigates it, far worse in PR-nations where all that matters is being on the party list and forget about constituencies.

Agree entirely. That's why I oppose anything that increases party influence in the political system - not least PR.
    PR doesn't have to be party list, STV in multi member constituencies is best.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Charles said:

Charles said:

Patrick said:

Charles

Do you have a date yet?
    13th March, 7.15pm.
    Excellent, thanks. Any news on the shortlist?
    not that I've been told.

edit: 7.15 is the start time for the meeting, not decision time.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Cheers T_P - now I’ll have to find another excuse to skive off…! ; )
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,416
    Apols if this has already been posted, made me laugh.

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 5 hrs5 hours ago
    Cameron asks how many MPs are going to put Ed M on their leaflets. Scot Nats all put their hands up #pmqs #GE2015
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The wording of Lord Ashcroft's tweet was:

I am launching my new polling at this evening's @ConHome event at 6pm and the data will be on http://LordAshcroftPolls.com after the presentation

So sometime a bit after 6 (maybe 6.45?). Unless it leaks early, of course.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

No, they are standing to be MPs for Witney and Doncaster North respectively.

The debates are entirely separate - there is an overarching requirement to be fair in allocating time, but legal precedent doesn't require that every party gets to participate in everything.

Section 6.9 relates to local hustings, etc.
    So why are they debating each other? Cameron should debate his Witney competitors then and Miliband should debate his Donny North competitors. You can't have it both ways! Furthermore show me where it says in the Ofcom rules that the debates are separate. The rules apply to all televised coverage as far as I am aware within the campaign period and that includes the debates.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

Apols if this has already been posted, made me laugh.

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 5 hrs5 hours ago
    Cameron asks how many MPs are going to put Ed M on their leaflets. Scot Nats all put their hands up #pmqs #GE2015

No reason for the targeted morons to vote SNP but they sure as hell hate that North London intellectual. Silly, negative , puerile, SNP.
  • Options
    £3 billion of repairs for parliament needed!, move it 'op north:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wentworth_Woodhouse

Historic setting and probably could be turned into the parliament for under a hundred million ;)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Historic setting and probably could be turned into the parliament for under a hundred million ;)

Do you know if there is a nominal backup site for Parliament, if the first were bombed or something?
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, the Earl of Rockingham sounds like it should be Ozzy Osbourne's[sp] title. (Reminds me of the Edward III bio, which referred to, I think, the Countess of Champagne and Brie).
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Do you know if there is a nominal backup site for Parliament, if the first were bombed or something?
    Dunno I just heard this place mentioned on the radio by some architect or other, looks a magnificent house at any rate hopefully someone will come along with the £47 million needed to buy and do it up.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

What could possibly go wrong...

Can Iraq's army dislodge Islamic State?

some 18,000 PMU fighters are providing the bulk of the troops for the assault.

The PMU are led by Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, who was labelled by the US as a "specially designated global terrorist" in 2009 for his part in attacks on US forces and other targets.

He and many other PMU commanders have worked intensively with Iran's Revolutionary Guard, and continue to draw Iranian and Lebanese Hezbollah advisers into their operations.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31723327

My enemy's enemy's enemy's enemy's is my friend's enemies' friend's enemy.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited March 2015
    @Pulpstar
    I am sure some Russian oligarch would be keen for the chance to own the second British parliament.
    ;)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not such a daft idea. Certainly not as crazy as spending £3 billion on the current building.

Sell the HoC to a private developer to restore, and move to a purpose built facility somewhere else. How much would a building with offices, meeting rooms, debating chambers and facilities for 5000 MPs, Lords and staff cost?

British Airways Waterside complex houses roughly that many, and was built in the late 90's for £200 million.
  • Options

So why are they debating each other? Cameron should debate his Witney competitors then and Miliband should debate his Donny North competitors. You can't have it both ways! Furthermore show me where it says in the Ofcom rules that the debates are separate. The rules apply to all televised coverage as far as I am aware within the campaign period and that includes the debates.

They are debating each other because it is thought to, @MorrisDancer's concerns aside, to add something to the democratic process.

But they are not a debate between a candidates for a "constituency or electoral area".

Therefore rule 6.9 does not apply, but the general rules on overall balance of time allocated to each party does apply.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think it would be an excellent site for Parliament.

An object lesson, every day, in the consequences of letting prejudice overwhelm judgement

From your link...

[Manny] Shinwell, intent on the destruction of the Fitzwilliams and "the privileged rich", decreed that the mining would continue to the back door of Wentworth, the family's East Front. What followed saw the mining of 99 acres (400,000 m2) of lawns and woods, the renowned formal gardens and the show-piece pink shale driveway (a by-product of the family's collieries). Ancient trees were uprooted and the debris of earth and rubble was piled 50 ft (15 m) high in front of the family's living quarters
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm sure there is, I know several sites for other bits of government. However this one I don't! In the war, Stratford-upon-Avon was mooted, but even after the Commons chamber was bombed they stayed local.
  • Options
    Syrian intelligence HQ in Aleppo hit by big explosion and gun attack, causing many casualties, monitors say

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31730249
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    Pulpstar said:

I think that's a great idea, then refurbish Westminster for less money and turn it into an English Parliament for English MPs to debate English only laws!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If they move Parliament, they should make the MPs sit in a place that reminds them daily of the country's problems rather than somewhere that they could forget about them.

Maybe Middlesbrough or Wolverhampton.
  • Options
    Charles said:

They are debating each other because it is thought to, @MorrisDancer's concerns aside, to add something to the democratic process.

But they are not a debate between a candidates for a "constituency or electoral area".

Therefore rule 6.9 does not apply, but the general rules on overall balance of time allocated to each party does apply.
    An according to who do the rules not apply? You because they do not suit your worldview? Back to the rules. This covers your point.

6.13 If coverage is given to wider election regions, for example in elections to the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly, Northern Ireland Assembly, London Assembly or European Parliament, then Rules 6.8 to 6.12 apply in offering participation to candidates.

The United kingdom is clearly a 'wider election region'.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

Do we actually need a parliament any more?

In a few years, we'll probably be making policy via wiki edit.
  • Options
    Apologies, some numpty suffered from premature posting of a new thread
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

I certainly hope not, lol!
  • Options

Apologies, some numpty suffered from premature posting of a new thread

Happens to the best of us!
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

When I become Directly Elected Dictator, I will abolish the Commons and Lords, and set up a Senate in Sheffield or Manchester
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,033
    Grandiose said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm sure there is, I know several sites for other bits of government. However this one I don't! In the war, Stratford-upon-Avon was mooted, but even after the Commons chamber was bombed they stayed local.
    I believe Lambeth Town Hall was used during the war. In the Civil War, the Royalist parliament met in Christ Church Oxford, but it was a whole lot smaller (but maybe that is a hint).

• Options
    Grandiose said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Harrogate was a wartime fallback.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Manchester?

And you claim to be a Yorkshireman!
  • Options

Grandiose said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I believe Lambeth Town Hall was used during the war. In the Civil War, the Royalist parliament met in Christ Church Oxford, but it was a whole lot smaller (but maybe that is a hint).

How can Lambeth Town Hall fit in all the MPs and Peers, makes you wonder how big the council was ;)
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, Manchester?

And you claim to be a Yorkshireman!

One of my plans is reunite the House of Plantagenet.

Plus I work in Manchester, I don't want a load of Southerners coming up to Yorkshire and ruining it.
This discussion has been closed.