Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What will be Ed Miliband’s First Question in this week’s PM

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    Smarmeron said:

@isam
    Nonsense, brave Dave is full of win!
    Just read what our blue friends are saying, and don't listen reality.

you missed out the 'd'.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

So, what do you suggest we do about it? Or do you think all measures that can be taken have been taken?

I'm hoping for a Nabavi perspective, so please don't just quote Cameron's manifesto pledges on benefit access back at me!

The bigger puzzle to me is non-EU immigration, where the rules have been tightened up hugely (initially by Labour, and further tightened by this government). Obviously leaving the EU is irrelevant to this part of the argument, and to be honest I don't understand why the numbers haven't dropped.
    I believe when HMG chose to pass control over Justice and Home Affairs to the EU last year, they passed over non-EU immigration too. So the EU is relevant here.
    Did I miss the referendum on that transfer of powers ?
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Miss Plato, over-used, it can be deeply irritating.

I thought Farscape was good at blending (after the initial few episodes) the two. There was a three parter about the political situation of a neutral power between the Peacekeepers and Scarrans, which nicely developed the cold war between the latter two whilst focusing primarily on the third party.

Monster of the Week was quite a compelling trope when syndication was so important to US Networks. With the shift in the market, especially with Streaming likely to overtake Syndication, fortunately serialisation is becoming far more popular. It makes for better shows.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,557

Scotland-based PBers, I'd be interested to know how the death of Dave McKay has been covered. He may well have been the greatest player Spurs ever had. Hopefully, the tributes in the papers up there have been long and fulsome.

Telly was flooded with it last night , he was greatest Hearts ever as well. Not as big in the papers given the action on Rangers , all are full of the EGM and if there will be any board members left to sack or any left brave enough to face the crowd. Only 2 left and those are Ashley's henchmen, sacked on Friday for sure. Then it will be down to battle with Ashley to free the club.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,071
    My feed cut out...Did Ed fire 6 questions all on immigration?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @dr_spyn
    Missed out the "to" reality, as well.
    Caffeine deficiency!
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited March 2015

Yes, though I'm happy to be corrected.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Yes.
    No, second half was on pressing for head-to-head debate.
  • Options

Yes.
    Did they all end up in the stands ?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,312
    Sunderland Central - must be one of the favourites for first declaration.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    @TheWatcher
    I was sure he asked Dave about his attendance at the forthcoming debates.
    The Conservatives must get a different feed?
  • Options
    Ed didn't ask anything about the industrial scale hacking going on at the Daily Mirror? I am shocked I tell you, shocked.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TheWatcher
    I was sure he asked Dave about his attendance at the forthcoming debates.
    The Conservatives must get a different feed?

The Unreality Feed you keep going on about.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Q: You say there won’t be a cap. But you also expect net migration to be below 50,000. Aren’t you trying to have it both ways?

Farage says there is an obsession with floors, ceilings etc. He thinks, if you talk about caps, the public will not believe you. Ukip has not abolished the cap. But it has a plan to deal with immigration. It wants to turn an issue that is divisive and make it positive.

So that's clear then - the cap's still there, just don't talk about it because you won't be believed......

The cap is the number of people with the requisite skills coming to the UK.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2015
    isam said:

Barry Gardiner 'my father died of cancer...'

*Raucous cheers and laughs from Tories*

Accidental, but unfortunate...

Me not realising < means the text disappears was also accidental and unfortunate!
  • Options
    Tories in Hazel Grove @ 11/4 makes some appeal given the national movements since the good Lord polled in November:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/01/hazel-grove/
    http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/hazel-grove/winning-party
  • Options

Ed didn't ask anything about the industrial scale hacking going on at the Daily Mirror? I am shocked I tell you, shocked.

And nothing on Housing, HSBC, or Tuition Fees. So many missed opportunities.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Two explosive incidents today at Chemistry Depts at Universities of Liverpool & Manchester - hope it is no more than an remote coincidence.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Q: You say there won’t be a cap. But you also expect net migration to be below 50,000. Aren’t you trying to have it both ways?

Farage says there is an obsession with floors, ceilings etc. He thinks, if you talk about caps, the public will not believe you. Ukip has not abolished the cap. But it has a plan to deal with immigration. It wants to turn an issue that is divisive and make it positive.

So that's clear then - the cap's still there, just don't talk about it because you won't be believed......

It's strange some people seem to be obsessed with letting in every last European unskilled labourer on the off chance that we might have a couple of street sweeping jobs going, and are happy to educate their children, tend their sicknesses, and distribute benefits to them and their family on the off chance that this happy employment might eventually come about.
  • Options

PB Tories always right.

You should learn from me.

Well done TSE, endorsed by yours truly and at a very handsome price too!
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Dair said:

Miliband sounds like he's totally lost his self-control.

That happens most weeks now.

• Options

Whats there to go with on housing, both Labour and Conservatives are planning to brick over the country in double quick time :) ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Whats there to go with on housing, both Labour and Conservatives are planning to brick over the country in double quick time :) ?
    Unlike the Green Party who from all accounts plan to plywood it over :D
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Pulpstar said:

Unlike the Green Party who from all accounts plan to plywood it over :D
    Ferrari got there first!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,355
    Mr Eagles,

Clearly you are the Master.

So Ed's main questions were "Cameron, you swine, you've failed to do what we didn't want you to do."

Hmm ... not sure about that one.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    edited March 2015
    What was that about? Is Ed trying to revive UKIP on the basis that it will hurt the Tories more? TSE pointed out last night that in that poll at least UKIP were up 11% from 2010 and the Tories down 1% but it is a theory.

Maybe he was scared of bringing up health given the Furness story. But a PMQ not focussed on the NHS is a PMQ wasted for Ed. He has 3 left.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,162
    Mr. Putney, any thoughts/questions on the spread betting for F1? I don't dabble myself [if I win the prediction competition and the prize I may start], but quite enjoy our traditional pre-season chat about it.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425

James Chapman tweets: Cameron asks how many MPs are going to put Ed M on their leaflets. Scot Nats all put their hands up

ROFL

hats off to the Nats !
  • Options
    Cameron's immigration pledge makes Clegg's student fees pledge "look like a model of integrity"

Ouch.
  • Options

Mr. Putney, any thoughts/questions on the spread betting for F1? I don't dabble myself [if I win the prediction competition and the prize I may start], but quite enjoy our traditional pre-season chat about it.

To be honest, I haven't really boned up yet on the new season - tend to find all the seemingly endless practising in Spain a mite tedious.
    I'll try to take a keener interest though ahead of the Oz GP.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    http://jackmatlock.com/2015/03/is-nemtsov’s-murder-a-replay-of-kirov’s/

Interesting article by the last US ambassador to the Soviet Union on the Nemtsov killing.
  • Options
    Jo Coburn just name checked the wrong Miliband as Labour Leader.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    dr_spyn said:

Wishful thinking...
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, fair enough (testing has been the same this year as last, except that there seems to be a shorter gap between its end and the first race).
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,456
    DavidL said:

What was that about? Is Ed trying to revive UKIP on the basis that it will hurt the Tories more? TSE pointed out last night that in that poll at least UKIP were up 11% from 2010 and the Tories down 1% but it is a theory.

Maybe he was scared of bringing up health given the Furness story. But a PMQ not focussed on the NHS is a PMQ wasted for Ed. He has 3 left.

Yes but one of those, in a fortnight, is before the budget statement. In practice he only has 2 to set the agenda.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

The fact that Cameron's name is David probably doesn't help that
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

dr_spyn said:

Wishful thinking...
    Weak brand awareness, can't imagine why he isn't on more Labour leaflets.

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

So, what do you suggest we do about it? Or do you think all measures that can be taken have been taken?

I'm hoping for a Nabavi perspective, so please don't just quote Cameron's manifesto pledges on benefit access back at me!

The bigger puzzle to me is non-EU immigration, where the rules have been tightened up hugely (initially by Labour, and further tightened by this government). Obviously leaving the EU is irrelevant to this part of the argument, and to be honest I don't understand why the numbers haven't dropped.
    I believe when HMG chose to pass control over Justice and Home Affairs to the EU last year, they passed over non-EU immigration too. So the EU is relevant here.
    Nonsense. EU not relevant there.

• Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Eagles,

Clearly you are the Master.

So Ed's main questions were "Cameron, you swine, you've failed to do what we didn't want you to do."

Hmm ... not sure about that one.

I trusted my instincts that Ed would again display all the strategic and tactical brilliance of Samuel at the Battle of Kleidion
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    antifrank said:

It doesn't speak well of Labour's organisation that Ed Miliband is not leading on tuition fees, given that this was this week's chosen topic for Labour.

Doesn't want to give more publicity to the fact that his tuition fee cut only helps the highest paid graduates and will starve universities of funding. Having a clip of the PM on the evening bulletin saying that Labour only wants to help the best paid graduates wouldn't be very helpful. Better to avoid it and hope that people don't realise that it is a con and that journalists continue to not hold Labour to account on these stupid policies.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Two really because the 18th March will be all about the budget

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, whilst I hope Labour suffers a great defeat in the election, let's hope Miliband doesn't react the same way Samuel did at the comparable moment in history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kleidion#Prisoners

[Also, I'm pleased to see you recognising Basil II's undoubted excellence].
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    How many PMQ's left between now and dissolution? Can't be any more than 4?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Pulpstar said:

Sunderland Central - must be one of the favourites for first declaration.

Yes the Sunderland seats will rightly be amongst the favourites for 1st declaration but if you are looking for better value look at seats with no local elections this year .London seats , Scottish seats and my outsider Cheltenham are amongst this group .
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

[Also, I'm pleased to see you recognising Basil II's undoubted excellence].

How many goalposts was he able to carry?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Three but the 18th March precedes the budget and will be irrelevant
  • Options
    "I trusted my instincts

TSE - do you still take Labour to win the most seats at GE 2015?
    Btw - has OGH expressed an opinion yet as regards the outcome .... a Labour win, of course, but by what extent?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Indigo said:

weejonnie said:

It's strange some people seem to be obsessed with letting in every last European unskilled labourer on the off chance that we might have a couple of street sweeping jobs going, and are happy to educate their children, tend their sicknesses, and distribute benefits to them and their family on the off chance that this happy employment might eventually come about.
    Skilled jobs create other jobs which may or may not be as skilled as the spending power of these workers adds to demand. In the end if that demand is not met the economy fails to reach its potential and for good measure we get wage inflation which only benefits the strongest most bullying in society.
    I think it was Charles who pointed out the other day that we are at or very close to realistic full employment. We have record numbers of people in work. Unemployment is falling despite immigration. Amazingly this is not creating inflation. Immigration, a lot of which is non permanent economic migration, is not denying jobs to those who want them. Economic migrants will return home as their own country's economies grow.
    The real social disaster in Britain is all those who do not want work or are unemployable. Increasingly you can add to that those people who simply to put it politely do not like immigrants.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    I agree with both stating that he really only has 2 to set the agenda as PMQs will be overshadowed by the budget (and, if he is very unlucky, his response to it) in a fortnight.

Cameron latterly suggested that he had not been particularly reticent today, something of an understatement. He now seems to be on a full war footing and Ed is still footling about. The Labour benches looked pretty miserable.
  • Options

"I trusted my instincts

Btw - has OGH expressed an opinion yet as regards the outcome .... a Labour win, of course, but by what extent?

I'm convinced the Tories will win the popular vote more than ever.

Now I'm unsure about Labour winning most seats due to a mixture of Scotland and I'm thinking the Lib Dems are going to be mullered which helps the Tories.

If I had to bet now I'd go for the Tories to be ahead of Labour on seats by around 30.
  • Options

The real social disaster in Britain is all those who do not want work or are unemployable. Increasingly you can add to that those people who simply to put it politely do not like immigrants.

I think you better go and have another look at the BES survey, especially the questions on immigration. Suspect you might be in the minority.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,768
    Jessica Parker @MarkerJParker · Feb 20
    "#UKIP is run by dirty old men in anoraks." Cllr Tony Hooke (former UKIP Councillor)
    http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11271494._/
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    edited March 2015

GIN1138 said:

Three but the 18th March precedes the budget and will be irrelevant
    Right, so there's three PMQ's before dissolution. Dissolution is Monday 30th March, so presumably we get a final PMQ's on Wednesday 1st April - April Fools Day? :smiley:

Will be interesting to see what angle Ed takes for the Pre-Budget PMQ's actually. Given he is adamant he will not, under any circumstances talk about the economy, will be fun to see how he get's around that one...

• Options
    @paulwaugh: One key lesson from TV debates fiasco. Tories have run rings round the broadcasters, playing em like a cheap fiddle.
  • Options

Jessica Parker @MarkerJParker · Feb 20
    "#UKIP is run by dirty old men in anoraks." Cllr Tony Hooke (former UKIP Councillor)
    http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11271494._/

Hardly an impartial observer, I wonder what ex-Tory councillors think about the Conservatives, or ex-Labour councillors think about Labour. If we wanted to know about MEPs we could ask Mr Bashir, he could answer for all the parties at once :D
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411

Indigo said:

weejonnie said:

Skilled jobs create other jobs which may or may not be as skilled as the spending power of these workers adds to demand. In the end if that demand is not met the economy fails to reach its potential and for good measure we get wage inflation which only benefits the strongest most bullying in society.
    I think it was Charles who pointed out the other day that we are at or very close to realistic full employment. We have record numbers of people in work. Unemployment is falling despite immigration. Amazingly this is not creating inflation. Immigration, a lot of which is non permanent economic migration, is not denying jobs to those who want them. Economic migrants will return home as their own country's economies grow.
    Most people would regard static real wages as a bad thing, not a good thing.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Andrew Neil is getting complacent from dealing with low calibre Westminster MPs. Getting slapped in the teeth by a minor SNP MSP must really gall him.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

weejonnie said:

Most people would regard static real wages as a bad thing, not a good thing.
    Depends whether you've just suffered the worst economic crisis for 80 years, I guess.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: One key lesson from TV debates fiasco. Tories have run rings round the broadcasters, playing em like a cheap fiddle.

I remember thinking when the subject first came up that it was obvious Cameron was working from a script delivered by gaming theory...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Scott_P said:

I think what the broadcasters have failed to see is that yes lots of people watched them and will watch them, but inside the bubble they seem a lot more important than they really are. In the broadcast bubble they biggest thing going and talk of who is / isn't in them is big big news, in the real world, totally different kettle of fish. What matters is stuff like jobs, NHS, etc, not which windbags are / aren't going to be in a debate and how many of these debates there might be.
  • Options
    Labour have now launched a petition calling for a live TV debate, claiming Cameron refused a live TV debate, during, em, a live, TV, er, debate...
  • Options
    A little joke for the mathematically minded:
    √-1 2^3 ∑ π - it was delicious!
  • Options
    @Scott_P
    Do you think PMQ's are debates?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I remember thinking when the subject first came up that it was obvious Cameron was working from a script delivered by gaming theory...
    I remember thinking of clever way Varofakis played his hand at the EU, and how it was almost a model of trying to get the best out of a poor hand (In the end it may transpire that his hand was just too weak regardless of the skill of the player) and wishing Cameron would play our EU negotiations with a similar flair. The fact that his hasn't, and yet he has played the TV debates to perfection is.... interesting.
  • Options
    Mr. Patrick,
    I ate some pie, it was delicious?

Not sure about sigma being 'some', but fairly sure of the rest.

Anyway, there's no need to go off on a tangent.
  • Options
    Mr Wifflestick

Indeed
    i 8 sum pi
    I ate some pie
  • Options
    @faisalislam: income gains most for richest under Brown... Lose most under coalition, accounting for rates of inflation by income: http://t.co/VveTFmdnz5
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

"I trusted my instincts

I'm convinced the Tories will win the popular vote more than ever.

Now I'm unsure about Labour winning most seats due to a mixture of Scotland and I'm thinking the Lib Dems are going to be mullered which helps the Tories.

If I had to bet now I'd go for the Tories to be ahead of Labour on seats by around 30.
    Have another look at the betting market this thread is based on, and tell me what exactly Labour could focus on?

Absolutely nothing, zilch, zero. Basically they are completely screwed and there is not one topic they can focus on without getting slaughtered for their past record, or current as in NHS/education in Wales.

I've backed Tory minority but might have a dabble at Tory majority as a back up.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

There was a mathematician called Hall,
    who had a hexagonal ball,

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: income gains most for richest under Brown... Lose most under coalition, accounting for rates of inflation by income: http://t.co/VveTFmdnz5

Top tax rate for the entire Labour 13 years was 45% and put to 50% only in the dying moments of Brown's premiership as a 'fuck you very much' for Dave. And now the cynical bastards decry Ozzy if he suggests going back to 45%, even if that raises more revenue. Hypocrites.
  • Options

Mr. Patrick,
    I ate some pie, it was delicious?

Not sure about sigma being 'some', but fairly sure of the rest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summation
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Patrick said:

There was a mathematician called Hall,
    who had a hexagonal ball,

There was a young man from Devizes
    Whose balls were of different sizes
    One was so small it was no ball at all
    But the other one won several prizes
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,422

Scott_P said:

I think what the broadcasters have failed to see is that yes lots of people watched them and will watch them, but inside the bubble they seem a lot more important than they really are. In the broadcast bubble they biggest thing going and talk of who is / isn't in them is big big news, in the real world, totally different kettle of fish. What matters is stuff like jobs, NHS, etc, not which windbags are / aren't going to be in a debate and how many of these debates there might be.
    Nevertheless, if a several way discussion is announced on BBC or ITV and Cameron isn’t there those lots of currently uninterested people will suddenly become so.
  • Options
    Alex Wickham ‏@WikiGuido

But Survation say he's 102 RT @MrHarryCole: It's @LordAshcroft's birthday. A snapshot of his age is between 68 and 70.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Patrick said:

Scott_P said:

Top tax rate for the entire Labour 13 years was 45% and put to 50% only in the dying moments of Brown's premiership as a 'fuck you very much' for Dave. And now the cynical bastards decry Ozzy if he suggests going back to 45%, even if that raises more revenue. Hypocrites.
    40% not 45% under Labour. (Hypocritical w*nkers)^10.
  • Options

James Chapman tweets: Cameron asks how many MPs are going to put Ed M on their leaflets. Scot Nats all put their hands up

ROFL

hats off to the Nats !
    Yes... I wonder how many kippers will put Farage on their leaflets?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Patrick said:

Scott_P said:

40% not 45% under Labour. Hypocritical w*nkers.
    Whoops - and thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Sky News

Mohammed Emwazi's family being put into a safe house by counter terrorism officers
    Kostandinos Erik Scurfield dies fighting IS for the British Army

Looks some immigrants assimilate better than others...
  • Options
    "Output per hour in Britain is 29% lower than in US and 24% lower than in Germany and France, ONS says "
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/sep/18/productivity-gap-uk-g7-output

Never mind the quality, feel the width?
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Scott_P said:

Nevertheless, if a several way discussion is announced on BBC or ITV and Cameron isn’t there those lots of currently uninterested people will suddenly become so.
    I don't disagree if we get to that stage...I was talking more about this false war....to the BBC or ITV or Sky etc this is all a huge deal, to the public it really isn't.

My point is how we get to the debates and what format they take wont register...it will register if Cameron is empty chaired, but that wont happen. Either the whole thing will get tied down in legal challenges and everybody falling out, or Cameron will turn up.

As currently laid out, I think Cameron has got a good deal out of his posturing. TBH, nobody can win a 7 way debate, and if Cameron doesn't think he can out argue Ed Miliband, well not sure he deserves another go in No. 10.
  • Options
    England footballers would do well to remember this equation: b.4 √-1 √u (ru/4^2)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Smarmeron said:

"Output per hour in Britain is 29% lower than in US and 24% lower than in Germany and France, ONS says "
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/sep/18/productivity-gap-uk-g7-output

Never mind the quality, feel the width?

It's due to all the time wasted spent writing comments on PB. Mike's fault.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

England footballers would do well to remember this equation: b.4 √-1 √u (ru/4^2)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_HJQAEVEAIhYzl.jpg:large
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust said it stood by its funding.

"We believe (Cage) has played an important role in highlighting the ongoing abuses at Guantanamo Bay and at many other sites around the world, including many instances of torture," it said in a statement.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/03/04/uk-mideast-crisis-jihadijohn-cage-idUKKBN0M00IS20150304

Disgraceful. To be conned into giving money to an organisation that isn't quite what it seems is one thing, but this is totally different. How much evidence do the people who run the Trust need? I can't image what Quaker Joseph would think.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

John Terry, Wayne Rooney and Adam Johnson walked into a bar...
  • Options
    @FrancisUrquhart
    Cameron is not in a good place if he avoids the debates. Every time he prevaricates and wriggles in the media, it will be matched by his statements about the debates before the last election.
    A new intern in an ad agency could assemble a pretty awkward campaign about it, just from YouTube alone.
  • Options
    When are his Lordship's polls out ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

John Terry, Wayne Rooney and Adam Johnson walked into a bar...
    Rolf Harris, Gary Glitter & Max Clifford walk into an Irish bar...

"..not Yewtree again."
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

I remember thinking of clever way Varofakis played his hand at the EU, and how it was almost a model of trying to get the best out of a poor hand (In the end it may transpire that his hand was just too weak regardless of the skill of the player) and wishing Cameron would play our EU negotiations with a similar flair. The fact that his hasn't, and yet he has played the TV debates to perfection is.... interesting.
    If you invent a theory like that its easy to 'prove' it.
    Varofakis did not play his hand well. The 'poor hand' was dealt entirely by himself and from the bottom of the pack. To his credit its probably the only way the Greeks would have elected a mad socialist to doubly ruin their country.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,148

Scotland-based PBers, I'd be interested to know how the death of Dave McKay has been covered. He may well have been the greatest player Spurs ever had. Hopefully, the tributes in the papers up there have been long and fulsome.

Afternoon, Mr O.

A fair chunk of the sports coverage in the National this morning. Should be on the website thenational.scot or national.scot or similar.

• Options
    coolagornacoolagorna Posts: 127
    All the Tory commentators are agreed on todays PMQs

The most one sided of the entire parliament...and all in
    favour of Mili junior being the winner by a country mile

Iain Dale reckons it was the most embarassing performance
    by the PM he could remember

Not seen it myself so I cant judge yet but if correct thats the second week
    running that Dave has been humiliated...little wonder he is
    desperate to avoid any debates at all next month
  • Options

For balance, here's a Labour commentator:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/03/pmqs-review-confident-cameron-blusters-through-immigration-and-tv-debates

Basically, Miliband had the stronger arguments (as you'd expect, given that he picks the topic!) but Cameron looks like a winner and Ed, bluntly, doesn't.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    seat prediction from political studies association. Lab 282, Con 278 SNP 29, LD 25, UKIP 6, Green 2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Ik-gKDMpoza1hwUG5Oa3VnSlE/view?pli=1
  • Options

seat prediction from political studies association. Lab 282, Con 278 SNP 29, LD 25, UKIP 6, Green 2

Out of date already - most of these experts would be falling over themselves to change their prediction given the last few polls.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,235
    FalseFlag said:

http://jackmatlock.com/2015/03/is-nemtsov’s-murder-a-replay-of-kirov’s/

Interesting article by the last US ambassador to the Soviet Union on the Nemtsov killing.

Very interesting -I'm sure Marf's cartoon exonerating Putin will be along soon. Or not.

• Options
    New Thread
  • Options

Out of date already - most of these experts would be falling over themselves to change their prediction given the last few polls.
    I'd love to know how the academics think the Nats will only get 29 seats with 4.7% of the total UK vote.
  • Options

So humiliated that BBC presenter name checks David Miliband as leader of Labour Party, so much for the strong Red Ed brand.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,412
    Red Box interesting as usual, this time showing that people say they become more extreme in their politics (the left go further left, the right go further right) as they get older, which is maybe not what we'd expect. Fed up with compromises, want the real thing, maybe? Finkelstein on immigration worth looking at too - essentially the salience point: if you 'own' a key issue, you always win when it's debated, even if the coverage is negative for you. (The reverse is true too, I think - if we adopt a popular policy on something people don't associate with us, we don't gain much.)

http://times-deck.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/projects/07a96b1f61097ccb54be14d6a47439b0.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,785
    Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

Wait: Greece got nothing.

The deal for Greece remains exactly what it was: maturity extensions, coupon reductions, and repayments linked to GDP. And in return, they need to run a budget surplus and enact structural reforms.

This discussion has been closed.