Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Operation Save Dave is unlikely to succeed

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited March 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Operation Save Dave is unlikely to succeed

Front page of the Sunday Times on Osborne's plans to try & keep Dave as leader if it is Con most votes/Lab most seats pic.twitter.com/x0hA3Y7dFB

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited March 2015
    Fat chance. If the Tories lose, Dave is toast. He made enough enemies failing to win 2010 against POGWAS, he has succeeded to make enemies all through his term in office, only success will save his bacon.

He will (in my view, rightly) carry the can for strategic and policy errors that caused the bulk of the parties core vote and especially it older more traditional members (who are mostly likely to vote, and comprise the backbone of the ground operation foot soldiers) to either peel off to UKIP or sit on their hands, whilst failing to pick up almost any votes, and certainly not many activists in the centre. He will certainly carry the can for whole host of preventable presentational cock-ups like the "no ifs, no buts" immigration pledge, the cast iron fiasco, and the "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists" gem which lowered the boom on any chance of getting the right-wingers back from UKIP.

Oh and First!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited March 2015
    It's probably not a good idea to take things politicians say they'd do before an election as evidence of what they'd do after an election, especially if we're talking about unattributed briefings from senior people rather than an explicit promise from the leadership.

That said, arithmetically the range of situations where a coalition agreement between the Tories and a shrunken LibDem parliamentary party is both necessary and sufficient for stable government isn't very big.

PS. I'd be a bit surprised if Clegg ruled out a coalition ahead of the election. The report seems a bit more nuanced: "There is no way he will sign up to the plans that will allow the Tories to set the terms of a renegotiation, carry it out and then hold a referendum that could see Britain leave the EU". Since we all know the renegotiation plan Cameron is touting wouldn't really happen as described, it would come as a relief to Cameron if the LibDems were prepared to take the blame for switching to a different plan; If it looks winnable, they may even prefer just a simple in vs out referendum without all the fake-concessions bollocks. Give the LibDems a referendum on PR in return and we should be all good for a new set of Cameron-Clegg commemorative plates. Assuming of course the numbers add up, which they probably won't.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    I may've sussed the YouGov lack of variation issue.

Just did my second VI in 3 days. Only done 2 in my life. What happens is you tick your voting intention 2 stager then get a survey on a stack of other stuff. Both times same thing's happened. YG say they last 10 to 15 minutes. You don't just get a GE poll.

Bingo. So YG have 300k registered for surveys but how many'll really be arsed to do them when it involves load of q's some of which are a pain in the butt? Bugger all's the answer. Bet you the actual pool of respondents for their polls is less than 3k - the same 3000 people answering the same VI opinion poll day after day [well 5 in 7]. Also a very very narrow demographic as a result.

YG'll deny this til they're bright blue in the cheeks but bet you a tiny tiny fraction of registerereds are the ones answering the poll: same old people, same old result, minimal variation.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Indigo said:

Fat chance. If the Tories lose, Dave is toast. He made enough enemies failing to win 2010 against POGWAS, he has succeeded to make enemies all through his term in office, only success will save his bacon.

He will (in my view, rightly) carry the can for strategic and policy errors that caused the bulk of the parties core vote and especially it older more traditional members (who are mostly likely to vote, and comprise the backbone of the ground operation foot soldiers) to either peel off to UKIP or sit on their hands, whilst failing to pick up almost any votes, and certainly not many activists in the centre. He will certainly carry the can for whole host of preventable presentational cock-ups like the "no ifs, no buts" immigration pledge, the cast iron fiasco, and the "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists" gem which lowered the boom on any chance of getting the right-wingers back from UKIP.

Oh and First!

You maths doesn't work though:

The latest couple of polls have had the Tories at 34/35, with a good chance they will continue to increase generally. This is only a couple of points behind what they achieved in 2010.

So does did "the bulk of the parties core vote" peel off/sit on their hands, plus Cameron fail to gain "almost any votes" while maintaining a broadly similar share?
  • Options
    coolagornacoolagorna Posts: 127
    Two conclusions to be drawn from the "Save Dave" story

The Tories really are as arrogant as they appear...the idea that
    they could get less seats than 2010, their coalition partners could
    be slaughtered and that they would ask the Queen to let them
    run a clear Minority Govt that would be losing votes in the house
    every week? Risible

Micheal Gove really is as stupid as he looks
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Charles said:

Indigo said:

Oh and First!

The latest couple of polls have had the Tories at 34/35, with a good chance they will continue to increase generally. This is only a couple of points behind what they achieved in 2010.

So does did "the bulk of the parties core vote" peel off/sit on their hands, plus Cameron fail to gain "almost any votes" while maintaining a broadly similar share?
    I think you mistake polling for Dave for anything that might resemble enthusiasm, he is facing the worst labour leader on record, one that makes Foot look like a fountain of charisma. We Conservatives might have thought Brown was an idiot, but he was held in far higher regard in left-leaning circles than Miliband is, and yet we are struggling to get the same level of votes in a booming economy.

How many of those "new" centrist voters are going to knock on doors, deliver leaflets, or tell at polling stations ? I would argue how many are going to turn out at all compared to the traditional vote they lost.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

every week? Risible

No, the conclusion is you are ignorant of the law. The sitting prime minister is entitled to form a government if he is able after an election, and can command the confidence of the house. If Labour and its cronies after the election are not able to bring Cameron down on a vote of confidence having "won" the election, then they don't get to run the country.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Charles said:

Indigo said:

Oh and First!

I think you mistake polling for Dave for anything that might resemble enthusiasm, he is facing the worst labour leader on record, one that makes Foot look like a fountain of charisma. We Conservatives might have thought Brown was an idiot, but he was held in far higher regard in left-leaning circles than Miliband is, and yet we are struggling to get the same level of votes in a booming economy.

How many of those "new" centrist voters are going to knock on doors, deliver leaflets, or tell at polling stations ? I would argue how many are going to turn out at all compared to the traditional vote they lost.
    Havent you ever contemplated for one minute that the economy
    is in no way "booming" when most people have been worse off month
    after month throughout the last five years...and that constantly
    talking about a "booming economy" rather than making more
    modest and realistic claims of your record is one of the reasons
    the Tories will surely slump to yet another defeat to add to their
    sorry tally from 97, 01 and 05?

• Options
    Indigo said:

every week? Risible

No, the conclusion is you are ignorant of the law. The sitting prime minister is entitled to form a government if he is able after an election, and can command the confidence of the house. If Labour and its cronies after the election are not able to bring Cameron down on a vote of confidence having "won" the election, then they don't get to run the country.
    Save Dave is an irrelevant story because The Rainbow Coalition
    of the great and the good will have the MPs to outvote any half
    baked coalition of Anti EU loonies racists and fruitcakes with pro
    EU turncoats and political whores both falling over themselves
    to prop up a party whose leading members despise them both

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Latest ARSE 2015 General Election & "JackW Dozen" Projection Countdown :

2 days 2 hours 2 minutes 2 seconds
  • Options
    Meanwhile .... Sky News reporting in headlines a poll of the Con marginal of Ipswich (Maj 2079) showing the contest "neck and neck".

No further details presently.

This seat is one of the "JackW Dozen" seats that is presently rated as TCTC - Too Close To Call - Fewer than 500 separating the leading parties.

Sky News following where my ARSE leads the way. :smile:
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I can't see David Cameron staying as Conservative leader if the Conservatives lose power. Too many in the Parliamentary party hate him. The fact that he is a huge asset to the Conservative party is irrelevant to that blind hatred.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Indigo said:

Oh and First!

Succinct.

The tories just don't get it, as poor as Ed is kippers loathe Cameron and won't support him in any shape or form. He is the single biggest reason for the growth of ukip.

• Options
    Sky News report on Ipswich at 7:35am.
  • Options
    Pakistan restricted to 235/7 by Zimbabwe after the full 50 overs.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

The report seems a bit more nuanced: "There is no way he will sign up to the plans that will allow the Tories to set the terms of a renegotiation, carry it out and then hold a referendum that could see Britain leave the EU".

Why does Nick Clegg hate democracy so much? Apart from his patronising patrician stand that the little people don't know what they are doing, obviously. The EU is such a prime testament to the democratic process that it needs to be protected - by all undemocratic means.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    antifrank said:

I can't see David Cameron staying as Conservative leader if the Conservatives lose power. Too many in the Parliamentary party hate him. The fact that he is a huge asset to the Conservative party is irrelevant to that blind hatred.

Like him or loathe him, he is also into his 10th year as leader. It would be someone elses turn . Ten years would be longer than Major and similar to Heath or Thatcher. It is about the limit of what anyone can last. Keeping him would most likely have to be until the following election. Interesting to see that the Tory cabinet are taking seriously the prospect of a swift second election.

Ultimately it will depend on the seat numbers. If the Tories still hold circa 300 then a minority government is viable, if it is below 280 then it is not. Pretty much the same is true of Labour.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I love the Pre Gloating from PB Lefties.As usual they will silently drift off after the election.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Oh and First!

Succinct.

The tories just don't get it, as poor as Ed is kippers loathe Cameron and won't support him in any shape or form. He is the single biggest reason for the growth of ukip.

UKIP and Nigel Farage are loathed much more by the average member of the general public than David Cameron is "loathed" by kippers:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/02/ashcroft-national-poll-con-30-lab-31-lib-dem-9-ukip-16-green-8/#more-7572//
  • Options

antifrank said:

Like him or loathe him, he is also into his 10th year as leader. It would be someone elses turn . Ten years would be longer than Major and similar to Heath or Thatcher. It is about the limit of what anyone can last. Keeping him would most likely have to be until the following election. Interesting to see that the Tory cabinet are taking seriously the prospect of a swift second election.

Ultimately it will depend on the seat numbers. If the Tories still hold circa 300 then a minority government is viable, if it is below 280 then it is not. Pretty much the same is true of Labour.
    Depending on the other party seat numbers, we might see a Labour minority government with as few as 250 seats.
  • Options
    PB Lefties are still in shock and awe after 2010.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516

I may've sussed the YouGov lack of variation issue.

Just did my second VI in 3 days. Only done 2 in my life. What happens is you tick your voting intention 2 stager then get a survey on a stack of other stuff. Both times same thing's happened. YG say they last 10 to 15 minutes. You don't just get a GE poll.

Bingo. So YG have 300k registered for surveys but how many'll really be arsed to do them when it involves load of q's some of which are a pain in the butt? Bugger all's the answer. Bet you the actual pool of respondents for their polls is less than 3k - the same 3000 people answering the same VI opinion poll day after day [well 5 in 7]. Also a very very narrow demographic as a result.

YG'll deny this til they're bright blue in the cheeks but bet you a tiny tiny fraction of registerereds are the ones answering the poll: same old people, same old result, minimal variation.

Makes sense when you think about it, I did a few surveys some years ago and I got bored of them very quickly. Now I just ignore them and the pop up requests to "make the site better".

There is something wrong with the results, from gut instinct and experiernce, they don't feel right and I suspect many of the commentators on PB of all sides are suspicious as well.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    antifrank said:

Indigo said:

Oh and First!

Succinct.

UKIP and Nigel Farage are loathed much more by the average member of the general public than David Cameron is "loathed" by kippers:

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2015/02/ashcroft-national-poll-con-30-lab-31-lib-dem-9-ukip-16-green-8/#more-7572//
    And the relevance of this is ?

Nigel doesn't care, he is playing the 18-20% strategy. As an insurgent he needs a clear cut, hard edged campaign to gee up his new supporters and get his vote out. A wishy-washy all-things-to-all-men insurgent party would disappear under the waves, it wouldn't be distinctive enough to garner any votes from the main parties as it would not be seen as worth the risk of voting for them.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

The report seems a bit more nuanced: "There is no way he will sign up to the plans that will allow the Tories to set the terms of a renegotiation, carry it out and then hold a referendum that could see Britain leave the EU".

Why does Nick Clegg hate democracy so much? Apart from his patronising patrician stand that the little people don't know what they are doing, obviously. The EU is such a prime testament to the democratic process that it needs to be protected - by all undemocratic means.

Politicians' views on whether things should be decided by MPs or voters are almost entirely dependent on the likely outcomes. They support them if they potentially move forward a ball that they want moved forward, and oppose them if they potentially move forward a ball that they don't want moved forward. This is pretty much a political universal, the main exception to it being when a referendum is the only way to paper over an otherwise fatal party management problem.

But if we're talking rights and wrongs, it's worth mentioning that if you're going to consult the people, Cameron's proposal, to the extent that we can make sense of it, is a really, really bad way to do it. He's promising things that would need a treaty, but the treaty won't have been signed or even agreed by then, so he'll be asking the voters to vote on something that he won't be able to deliver then, and he may never be able to deliver at all. If it's democracy you're interested in, it probably makes sense well for at least one of the options you offer to the voters to be something they'd actually get if they voted for it.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Ipswich Poll - YouGov

Con 34 .. Lab 34 ..

Apparently in the Sunday Times.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

antifrank said:

Indigo said:

Oh and First!

Succinct.

Nigel doesn't care, he is playing the 18-20% strategy. As an insurgent he needs a clear cut, hard edged campaign to gee up his new supporters and get his vote out. A wishy-washy all-things-to-all-men insurgent party would disappear under the waves, it wouldn't be distinctive enough to garner any votes from the main parties as it would not be seen as worth the risk of voting for them.
    I'm helping kippers calibrate the meaning of being loathed.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Cheerio Dave. Don't letthe door hit you on the backside on your way out.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited March 2015

As a ferocious Tory loyalist, Mr Mark, surely you ought not to be referring to Mr Cameron as "the little people", ought you?

I don´t think Nick Clegg hates democracy at all. Just Mr Cameron who, as you say, "doesn´t know what he is doing".

Thar seems reasonable enough to me.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Indigo said:

antifrank said:

Indigo said:

Oh and First!

Succinct.

I'm helping kippers calibrate the meaning of being loathed.
    Fair enough. Although they might well throw this one back at you

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/oct/25/nearly-third-of-voters-prepared-to-support-ukip

However if as expected they get a fair few solid second places in 2015, I would expect a rather more emollient approach after that as they seek to firm those up and turn them into firsts. In view of the above survey, UKIPs vote suffers quite a lot because people think it will be a wasted vote in their constituency, if they get a healthy set of second places and start to look like contenders, their vote in 2020 could be considerably higher without actually "converting" anyone.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Ipswich Poll - YouGov

Con 34 .. Lab 34 ..

Labour 4/7 to win Ipswich....the reds are much stronger at getting
    their vote out now Cameron has lost so many activists so those
    odds still look right even on that level pegging poll

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited March 2015
    Antifrank,

"UKIP and Nigel Farage are loathed much more by the average member of the general public than David Cameron is "loathed" by kippers:"

Imagine someone who has a pathological hatred of Muslims. He/she always assumes the worst, won't accept anything good about them, and actively looks for bad things to say about them. A bigot, you'll probably agree, an Islamophobe.

Now substitute Kippers for Muslims. A Kipperphobe?

There's a lot of it about.
  • Options

I think that Nicks position is more nuanced (and actually not that different to many kippers on here). He does not want a rigged referendum on Camerons terms, in his case rigged in the opposite way to leave.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    If Cameron has most seats he will meet parliament regardless. Like Wilson in 1974 he will say "vote us out if you like." The cold light of day has a sobering effect: who would want to be blamed for chaos? Would Labour MPs really want an EdM government dependent on the SNP for life support? Or an immediate second election? No. Cameron would stagger on and everyone would play for time.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Antifrank,

"UKIP and Nigel Farage are loathed much more by the average member of the general public than David Cameron is "loathed" by kippers:"

Imagine someone who has a pathological hatred of Muslims. He/she always assumes the worst, won't accept anything good about them, and actively looks for bad things to say about them. A bigot, you'll probably agree, an Islamophobe.

Now substitute Kippers for Muslims. A Kipperphobe?

Aw bless. The ickle kippers have found themselves as victims of unfair discrimination. Perhaps they should get it written into the Human Rights Act. Ah, there might be a small problem there...
  • Options
    edited March 2015

I think that Nicks position is more nuanced (and actually not that different to many kippers on here). He does not want a rigged referendum on Camerons terms, in his case rigged in the opposite way to leave.
    Note the other really weird thing about this referendum in the event that "renegotiation" actually means something substantial (say an end to freedom of movement), which is that it wouldn't have an option for the status quo.

There are a bunch of reasons why you might refuse to give the voters an option to vote the status quo - Russia did exactly this in Crimea - but a deep respect for direct democracy isn't one of them. If the LibDems support the status quo, I can't see why anyone would expect them to go along with this.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    anti frank, the fact ukip are the most loathed party is irrelevant, this is about tories voting ukip. The single biggest reason that tories now vote ukip is Cameron, he is vacuous and duplicitous.

There is very little chance of kippers returning while he's in charge, Cameron is UKIP's biggest asset.
  • Options

JackW said:

Ipswich Poll - YouGov

Con 34 .. Lab 34 ..

Labour 4/7 to win Ipswich....the reds are much stronger at getting
    their vote out now Cameron has lost so many activists so those
    odds still look right even on that level pegging poll

Utter drivel.

The value from the poll will be with the Conservatives.

The Labour activists in the town centre were so active on the day of the report in this important marginal that they cunningly disguised themselves as advocates of a brand of cheese .... perhaps a throw back to the Blair years ?? :smile:

• Options

Politicians' views on whether things should be decided by MPs or voters are almost entirely dependent on the likely outcomes. They support them if they potentially move forward a ball that they want moved forward, and oppose them if they potentially move forward a ball that they don't want moved forward. This is pretty much a political universal, the main exception to it being when a referendum is the only way to paper over an otherwise fatal party management problem.

But if we're talking rights and wrongs, it's worth mentioning that if you're going to consult the people, Cameron's proposal, to the extent that we can make sense of it, is a really, really bad way to do it. He's promising things that would need a treaty, but the treaty won't have been signed or even agreed by then, so he'll be asking the voters to vote on something that he won't be able to deliver then, and he may never be able to deliver at all. If it's democracy you're interested in, it probably makes sense well for at least one of the options you offer to the voters to be something they'd actually get if they voted for it.
    We need a referendum with multiple options, probably by AV:

1) IN and a commitment to closer union

2) IN on current terms and no further

3) IN with a major clawback of specific powers on immigration etc

4) OUT but join EEA or EFTA

5) OUT and totally out of EU, EEA, European court etc

• Options

We need a referendum with multiple options, probably by AV:

1) IN and a commitment to closer union

2) IN on current terms and no further

3) IN with a major clawback of specific powers on immigration etc

4) OUT but join EEA or EFTA

5) OUT and totally out of EU, EEA, European court etc

Admit it, you just can't wait for the discussion we'd have here about the appropriate voting system...
  • Options

anti frank, the fact ukip are the most loathed party is irrelevant, this is about tories voting ukip. The single biggest reason that tories now vote ukip is Cameron, he is vacuous and duplicitous.

There is very little chance of kippers returning while he's in charge, Cameron is UKIP's biggest asset.

It suggests that UKIP are going to struggle to make further headway.

Actually the polling suggests that David Cameron isn't hated by kipper voters (as opposed to activists) anywhere near as much as the green ink brigade would have you believe. Kipper supporters hate the Conservative party appreciably more.
  • Options
    Antifrank,

"The ickle kippers have found themselves as victims of unfair discrimination."

I wouldn't pretend to know anything about the law and I'm sure the Kippers can look after themselves.

But you and quite a few other are hereby charged with a teensy weensy bit of hypocrisy.

• Options
    PeterC said:

If Cameron has most seats he will meet parliament regardless. Like Wilson in 1974 he will say "vote us out if you like." The cold light of day has a sobering effect: who would want to be blamed for chaos? Would Labour MPs really want an EdM government dependent on the SNP for life support? Or an immediate second election? No. Cameron would stagger on and everyone would play for time.

What chaos? The only chaos would be if Fat Dave lost Tory seats and
    lost his Deputy PM as well as his Chief Secretary and other ministers
    and yet still tried to claim victory

If it dont gell it aint aspic and Cameron claiming victory in.such
    circumstances would certainly not gell

"In the cold light of day"he would be voted out within weeks..and
    if another GE was held the Tories would pay a very heavy price
    for having the brass neck to try and stay on

• Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited March 2015
    Edin_Rokz said:

Makes sense when you think about it, I did a few surveys some years ago and I got bored of them very quickly. Now I just ignore them and the pop up requests to "make the site better".

There is something wrong with the results, from gut instinct and experiernce, they don't feel right and I suspect many of the commentators on PB of all sides are suspicious as well.

Think about it. UKIP/Green are doing well because they are engaging with people who have not voted for years. Such people are hardly likely to have signed up to an online Yougov (or anyone else) panel?

Similarly I would have thought that they were far more likely only to have a mobile phone or, like me, to be ex directory so I'm not pestered by spammers.

The pollsters have got a big problem on their hands.

Personally, the only way I think you could do an accurate constituency poll in any consitutency with a high number of voters planning to vote Green or UKIP is to knock on 2000 doors of houses spread evenly over the constituency. Anything else is going to struggle to remove confirmation bias.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Ipswich Poll - YouGov

Con 34 .. Lab 34 ..

I think that they are just copying your ARSE!

Anyone know what the kipper % was?

As a part of the East Coast and fairly working class it would be interesting to know.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Inexplicably, after 3 days of livefeeds, the BBC has decided the final day of testing doesn't need one. At least Sky's got theirs.

The story is very odd. Any musing on such a scenario helps Labour as it makes it seem the Conservatives are planning for defeat.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 2015
    People loathe this man? I can't imagine why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqovTGjYjM4
  • Options
    Cameron's position on the EU and the farce of renegotiation is as dishonest as he is. Still no answer on what he wants to renegotiate. Because this isn't about the UKs strategic position in the world, it is about the Tories' strategic position versus a largely reviled rightwing splinter group. Shameful. How dare Tories attempt to paint Miliband as opportunistic on anything when their own weak and embattled leader is the most shameless in selling out Britain's national in increasingly desperate attempts to shore up his crumbling position.

A torrid, pitiful PM.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Oh and First!

Succinct.

Many former Tory voters, inclined to vote UKIP would feel a very weak Miliband Government is a price well worth paying to rub the Tories noses in it.

It would also have the advantage, of providing a springboard for a Northern breakthrough by UKIP in Labours heartlands in the election after next.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Antifrank,

I wouldn't pretend to know anything about the law and I'm sure the Kippers can look after themselves.

But you and quite a few other are hereby charged with a teensy weensy bit of hypocrisy.

No, Antifrank just takes it a bit more seriously than the average voter, we continuously read about how "loathed" the kippers are, not to mention "hated" or "despised", in fact pick your own value-charged word. I think that says rather more of him than the voters, the vast majority of which are so indifferent to politics they probably couldn't name their own MP, and don't hate or detest any of them, except probably to sigh and exhibit a general low level of contempt for politicians in general. I mean I am Tory around the Hannan position in the party, hardly a centrist, and I don't "hate" or "loathe" Miliband, I think he is an incompetent numpty which isn't fit to run the country, but that is based on observation, not an emotional reaction.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

JackW said:

Ipswich Poll - YouGov

Con 34 .. Lab 34 ..

I think that they are just copying your ARSE!

Anyone know what the kipper % was?

As a part of the East Coast and fairly working class it would be interesting to know.
    Quite so.

I don't subscribe to the Sunday Times, perhaps some other PBer might fill in the other numbers.

We have to be cautious about a single constituency poll where presently we don't have the sample size. That said if Labour were on course for even biggest party a few weeks before polling day they really should be several points clear in what has in past elections often been something of an East Anglian bell weather seat.

• Options

Good morning, everyone.

Inexplicably, after 3 days of livefeeds, the BBC has decided the final day of testing doesn't need one. At least Sky's got theirs.

The story is very odd. Any musing on such a scenario helps Labour as it makes it seem the Conservatives are planning for defeat.

Any sensible party is planning for a variety of scenarios. It would be crazy not to do so.

What this tells us is that if there is not much change in Tory seat numbers then they would prefer a minority government to coalition mark 2. I think the LDs are feeling the same. Which is a pity as I regard the current Con/LD government as the best one of the last 50 years, though Blairs first term was not too bad either.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Cameron's position on the EU and the farce of renegotiation is as dishonest as he is. Still no answer on what he wants to renegotiate. Because this isn't about the UKs strategic position in the world, it is about the Tories' strategic position versus a largely reviled rightwing splinter group. Shameful. How dare Tories attempt to paint Miliband as opportunistic on anything when their own weak and embattled leader is the most shameless in selling out Britain's national in increasingly desperate attempts to shore up his crumbling position.

A torrid, pitiful PM.

What are you wibbling about. If the British public want to be in the EU, they will vote IN and that will be the end of it. What really worries you is that they might want to vote OUT, and you would do anything to deny the public the chance of making the "wrong" decision. You should listen to your paymasters:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/02/european-union-unite-miliband-labour-referendum_n_5550964.html
  • Options
    Mr. Foxinsox, I didn't say the planning was crazy, but the story odd. Leaking it doesn't help the blues.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Mr. Foxinsox, I didn't say the planning was crazy, but the story odd. Leaking it doesn't help the blues.

Was it an "official" leak ? If a story is likely to leak anyway it's often better to leak it with the right spin attached ;)
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Antifrank,

Or, more likely, the public have accurately got the measure of Nigel Farage and UKIP.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

What are you wibbling about. If the British public want to be in the EU, they will vote IN and that will be the end of it.

That won't be the end of it on Cameron's scheme, because they probably won't get the version of "in" they were told they were voting for, at which point the "out" side will justifiably say they've been robbed and demand a do-over.
  • Options

A bit of court politics, I would have thought, leaked either by Cameroons to see how it goes down or by a rival who wants a leadership election.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    antifrank said:

CD13 said:

Antifrank,

Or, more likely, the public have accurately got the measure of Nigel Farage and UKIP.
    Aside from that survey that showed that a third of voters would vote kipper if they could...

I hold no brief for the kippers, but my suspicion is that the big surprise of the election is that the kippers are going to be a significantly higher percentage of the vote than anyone expects.

Anecdotally I know several people who will be voting kipper, but who wouldn't say so to any but their closest friends because of the reaction it gets from the right-on segment of the public. There has been too many PC idiocies like the Rotherham foster parent nonsense, and the dismissed school governor, for people to feel safe about publicly associating themselves with UKIP, which in a democracy is a complete disgrace irrespective of what you think of the party and its policies.
  • Options
    Indigo,

"No, Antifrank just takes it a bit more seriously than the average voter."

I'm sure Antifrank knows I'm only teasing, but some on here do have a very sensitive spot where Ukip are concerned.

I might be described as Toryphobic - I've never voted for them even though I don't dislike all their policies. I'm sure they don't really eat babies, but why take the risk?

I blame my upbringing.
  • Options

Indigo said:

What are you wibbling about. If the British public want to be in the EU, they will vote IN and that will be the end of it.

That won't be the end of it on Cameron's scheme, because they probably won't get the version of "in" they were told they were voting for, at which point the "out" side will justifiably say they've been robbed and demand a do-over.
    Yes, I agree, I have described Cameron's current implementation as idiotic before. Asking the population to vote for a pig in a poke is just asking for trouble, and that is before we get into the window dressing that is going to be put around what probably will amount to a little bit of meaningless tinsel from Brussels.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Roger said:

People loathe this man? I can't imagine why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqovTGjYjM4

I don't.

But I do loathe hypocritical champagne socialists such as you.
  • Options
    Gone with the 9/2 Conservative minority, thanks TSE
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I think Ben as so often hits the nail on the head. The 'honest' thing would be IN or OUT. No 'ifs not buts'. Referendum to be held in 2016 at the latest. "Renegotiation" is a lie. It'll never be defined and it CANNOT be meaningfully renegotiated.

Clegg Milliband and (tragically) Farage's positions are the only honest ones.
  • Options
    N4E..In my day I always referred to them as Gucci Socialists..lotsa them in the TV industry.. still are.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

BenM said:

A torrid, pitiful PM.

What are you wibbling about. If the British public want to be in the EU, they will vote IN and that will be the end of it. What really worries you is that they might want to vote OUT, and you would do anything to deny the public the chance of making the "wrong" decision. You should listen to your paymasters:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/07/02/european-union-unite-miliband-labour-referendum_n_5550964.html
    And what worries you is that people just don't care about the EU. And when they spy Parties that obsess over it they run a mile.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

A torrid, pitiful PM.

And what worries you is that people just don't care about the EU. And when they spy Parties that obsess over it they run a mile.
    In which case you have nothing to worry about.... and yet you seem nervous....

Could it be that the most important issue for voters is immigration, and its impossible to do anything about immigration while in the EU ?

Farage will tell the voters that if they want to reduce immigration significantly they have to vote OUT, Dave has no standing after the recent figures to counter this, and no one is going to take the party of mass immigration seriously on the topic either. They will tut-tut, suck their teeth, tell pollsters how much this "loathe" UKIP, and then quietly in the polling booth, tick the out box.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516

Edin_Rokz said:

Think about it. UKIP/Green are doing well because they are engaging with people who have not voted for years. Such people are hardly likely to have signed up to an online Yougov (or anyone else) panel?

Similarly I would have thought that they were far more likely only to have a mobile phone or, like me, to be ex directory so I'm not pestered by spammers.

The pollsters have got a big problem on their hands.

Personally, the only way I think you could do an accurate constituency poll in any consitutency with a high number of voters planning to vote Green or UKIP is to knock on 2000 doors of houses spread evenly over the constituency. Anything else is going to struggle to remove confirmation bias.
    I am now considering that even the political parties private polling may be suspect.

Phone banks, for the comment above, are now irrelevant. Personally, I have a Truecall blocker on my home phone number which only allows calls from recognised numbers through or can access the code. I even have a version on my mobile.

Perhaps the government should have done more, sooner to deal with the problem of nuisance calls before finding out that they had bitten their own backsides.
  • Options
    CD13

"I don't dislike all their policies. I'm sure they don't really eat babies, but why take the risk?"

A man after my own heart! They have 'history'
  • Options
    Indigo said:

BenM said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

A torrid, pitiful PM.

In which case you have nothing to worry about.... and yet you seem nervous....

Could it be that the most important issue for voters is immigration, and its impossible to do anything about immigration while in the EU ?
    I have nothing to worry about because anti EU obsessives continually fail to achieve the popular mandate to impose their disruptive paranoia on the rest of us.

That's democracy.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Indigo said:

antifrank said:

Aside from that survey that showed that a third of voters would vote kipper if they could...
    That's utterly misrepresentation and nonsense.

Not ruling out a UKIP vote is completely different to "voting UKIP if they could". The figure is damning, especially for a party whose policies are virtually unknown by the public.

The only way that figure can move for UKIP is down, and the polls are already showing that as their vote share slides inexorably downwards. Every new policy that becomes widely known to the public will drive that figure down further.

As things stand 12% would be a phenomenal result for UKIP but as every policy reduces their vote, it becomes less and less likely they can maintain that. Their only hope would be to minimise the focus on policy and continually deflect questions about what they stand for in every area of policy.

Not only do they lack the talent (quite markedly) to achieve this but it would also demonstrate to the public that UKIP are identical to the established parties in their unwillingness to answer questions.
  • Options

I cannot see Labour gaining more than fifty seats in England and Wales, and most likely fewer. If Scotland goes SNP as expected, then the Tories will be the largest party by circa 25 seats.

In those circumstances an attempt at minority government would be a reasonable approach. 9/2 seems to be quite good odds.
  • Options
    BenM said:

A torrid, pitiful PM.

FWIW, Ben, the UK has been a member of the EU/EEC for all my life. And I've never had a say on that.

I want to have a vote: and I want it to be a clear vote. The renegotiation approach - even if it may not achieve anything - is needed. Otherwise the pro-EU side will behave like a whining boyfriend "Don't break up with me. I promise I can change".

We need to know what they are prepared to offer. And then the people can chose whether it is enough.
  • Options
    Mr. M, disruptive paranoia?

Slamming the brakes on a car speeding towards a cliff-edge is disruptive.

The EU and eurozone are inherently unstable. The choice we face is whether it collapses into disorder or is dismantled in an orderly fashion.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Any sensible party is planning for a variety of scenarios. It would be crazy not to do so.

What this tells us is that if there is not much change in Tory seat numbers then they would prefer a minority government to coalition mark 2. I think the LDs are feeling the same. Which is a pity as I regard the current Con/LD government as the best one of the last 50 years, though Blairs first term was not too bad either.
    The other thing to bear in mind is cui bono?

Apart from the fact that politicians can't keep their traps shut, this story has been leaked between Monday evening and Friday morning. Who, of the small group of attendees, wants to undermine the Tory campaign?
  • Options
    F1: Horner claims to the Renault engine is 70bhp down [presumably compared to Mercedes].

Incidentally, there's a rumour Renault are looking to buy an F1 team, but aren't interested in Force India or Sauber (and probably not Marussia). They may try for Red Bull.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,270
    edited March 2015
    Morning all, and one post only this morning on the constitutional position. This seems to be the subject of some confusion. It is in fact complicated, and complicated further by the fact that Sir Augustine O'Donnell, being almost as ignorant of the law as he is of economics, got it spectacularly wrong in 2010.

The situation is as follows:

1) The government is appointed by the Queen. Technically, the government remains until it is either (a) dismissed by the Queen or (b) can no longer get crucial votes through Parliament, at which point it cannot govern effectively. Under such circumstances, the outgoing Prime Minister advises the Queen on who can form a government.

2) However, there are precedents for the following situations:

(a) A government loses an election, conceding an outright majority to the opposition. In such circumstances, the government, by convention, immediately resigns.

(b) A governing party finishes second to the governing party in terms of both votes and seats, but without conceding an outright majority. The convention is that under such circumstances, the government immediately resigns. This most recently happened in 1929. Note that this was not followed in 2010 because O'Donnell was ignorant of the several precedents in question (which makes @coolargana 's comments all the more ironic) and wrongly advised Brown that in practice despite his heavy defeat he was entitled to try and stay on.

(c) A governing party finishes first in terms of votes, but second in terms of seats. The convention here is that the governing party is permitted to try and form a government. This most recently happened in 1974. HOWEVER - crucial caveat - in almost all previous elections where this has happened, the result was very close in terms of seats. That may not happen this time - even if the Tories are five points ahead, they may still be well behind on seats.
    (continued)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,270
    (continued)
    (d) A governing party finishes first in terms of votes and seats, but without an outright majority. The convention under such circumstances is that the government has the right to meet Parliament (last used in 1923-24).

(e) A governing party loses its majority/plurality without an election but can retain the confidence of the House of Commons on crucial votes. Under such circumstances, it is allowed to stay on until the next election (most recently in 1997, but also in 1912-14). In theory, if it loses the confidence of the House of Commons and the opposition has the ability to command a majority, power can then be transferred without an election. In practice, this has not happened since 1905, but with the FTPA that may become significant again.

My instinct on this story is that unless the Tories finish well ahead in terms of votes, they are deluding themselves if they believe they can remain in a minority government. They simply would not be able to pass any legislation and would almost certainly be voted down on the Queen's Speech, which would force them out. On the other hand, it's difficult to see a Labour minority government or even a Labour-led coalition lasting long if it comes 5-7% behind in the popular vote and ahead on seats. It would certainly become very unpopular very fast.
  • Options
    Dair said:

As things stand 12% would be a phenomenal result for UKIP but as every policy reduces their vote, it becomes less and less likely they can maintain that. Their only hope would be to minimise the focus on policy and continually deflect questions about what they stand for in every area of policy.

If it makes you comfortable to believe that, who am I to stand in your way :)

• Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited March 2015

PeterC said:

What chaos? The only chaos would be if Fat Dave lost Tory seats and
    lost his Deputy PM as well as his Chief Secretary and other ministers
    and yet still tried to claim victory

If it dont gell it aint aspic and Cameron claiming victory in.such
    circumstances would certainly not gell

"In the cold light of day"he would be voted out within weeks..and
    if another GE was held the Tories would pay a very heavy price
    for having the brass neck to try and stay on

What is he supposed to do? Say "I have most votes and most seats therefore I must resign"?

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Indigo said:

Anecdotally I know several people who will be voting kipper, but who wouldn't say so to any but their closest friends because of the reaction it gets from the right-on segment of the public. There has been too many PC idiocies like the Rotherham foster parent nonsense, and the dismissed school governor, for people to feel safe about publicly associating themselves with UKIP, which in a democracy is a complete disgrace irrespective of what you think of the party and its policies.

I have a Liberal colleague who is convinced UKIP are all racists. Generally I am very careful about who I tell I am going to vote UKIP because a good chunk of the radical left consider them on a par with the BNP and being too open about supporting them if you are a professional can IMHO be quite career damaging. I've told several close colleagues at work but now regret it. Similarly I wouldn't tell neighbours/ other kids parents or people at Church because I don't want to be branded a racist.

I would like to join UKIP but consider it too dangerous professionally (not because there is anything wrong with them but because of the reaction from ingnoramuses if they found out) so won't until I pack up work in the thick end of a decades time.

Similarly I would like to put a UKIP sticker on my car or house window because I have kids and don't want a brick through the window or the kids getting abuse from other kids.

I certainly would'nt tell a stranger on the phone or knocking at the door that I'm voting UKIP. They might be a pollster but who is to say that the employee doing the poll isn't an SWP member or a member of some other nutty left wing group.

In such a climate it is fairly obvious that the opinion polls are going to underestimate UKIP support. One of the things that makes me cold bloodedly determined to vote for them, even if I had to be wheeled to the polling station in a stretcher, is the fact that I cannot openly say I'm supporting UKIP without fearing the consequences.

I think the reason that they are seen as predominately voted for by pensioners, is that pensioners have nothing to lose by being publically associated with them so can be open.
  • Options
    Charles

"We need to know what they are prepared to offer. And then the people can chose whether it is enough."

And who judges what they have offered Murdoch's SUN? Dacre's MAIL? The treaty is so long Kenneth Clark famously said he couldn't possibly work his way through it. It'll be a sham from the great shamster himself. He'll declare victory when nothing's changed and it'll rumble on for years
  • Options
    Roger are you saying the electorate,when presented with the renegotiated position, is too stupid to work it all out....and it should be left to the grown ups. How very Soviet
  • Options
    Charles said:

BenM said:

A torrid, pitiful PM.

FWIW, Ben, the UK has been a member of the EU/EEC for all my life. And I've never had a say on that.

I want to have a vote: and I want it to be a clear vote. The renegotiation approach - even if it may not achieve anything - is needed. Otherwise the pro-EU side will behave like a whining boyfriend "Don't break up with me. I promise I can change".

We need to know what they are prepared to offer. And then the people can chose whether it is enough.
    Want a referendum? This'll be the fifth where those who deem the EU a vital issue - not a big number of voters - have the opportunity to generate the wave of popular and democratic will to force their priorities into government.

As it looks likely not to happen again is democracy at work. The phobes should stop whining and hitching their position to appalling bandwagons like UKIP which poisons their appeal.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, cheers for that information.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Indigo said:

I have a Liberal colleague who is convinced UKIP are all racists. Generally I am very careful about who I tell I am going to vote UKIP because a good chunk of the radical left consider them on a par with the BNP and being too open about supporting them if you are a professional can IMHO be quite career damaging. I've told several close colleagues at work but now regret it. Similarly I wouldn't tell neighbours/ other kids parents or people at Church because I don't want to be branded a racist.
    Some kippers undoubtedly are, just as some Tories undoubtedly are (and are still in office) and some Labourites undoubtedly are. UKIP being the most right-wing party gets all the right-wing nutters voting for them, it goes with the territory, just as the Green Party gets the benefit of all the left-wing nutters. If there is a slight chance of the Greens getting more than 1-2 seats you can bet all the Socialist Party, Socialist Labour and SWP fruitcakes will join the Green Party like a shot, they will probably vote for them right now.

I doubt that all kippers are racist, any more than all Green Party voters are communists, but its a useful, if disreputable, political fiction when you are worried about them stealing your votes. As usual the reality will be it has nothing to do with principles, and everything to do with low calculation and gutter politics.
  • Options
    Ffs, stayed up to end of England innings, don't believe what woken to. The whole spurs and cricket nightmare starts again?
  • Options
    BenM said:

Charles said:

BenM said:

A torrid, pitiful PM.

Want a referendum? This'll be the fifth where those who deem the EU a vital issue - not a big number of voters - have the opportunity to generate the wave of popular and democratic will to force their priorities into government.

As it looks likely not to happen again is democracy at work. The phobes should stop whining and hitching their position to appalling bandwagons like UKIP which poisons their appeal.
    All I can hear is boo-hoo-hoo. 75% of the population want to reduce immigration, half the population want to reduce it by a lot, how do you propose the government does that while staying in the EU. I know you don't approve of their views, but you told us you are in favour of democracy, so how do we accede to the democratic will ?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Leaders never seem to know when to leave.

Blair went at the right time in 2007 but it was hardly his call.

10 years is enough to lead any major party.
    8 years is enough to be leader of the UK, as it is in the US.
    Parliament should change the law to 4 year elections.
  • Options

I cannot see Labour gaining more than fifty seats in England and Wales, and most likely fewer. If Scotland goes SNP as expected, then the Tories will be the largest party by circa 25 seats.

In those circumstances an attempt at minority government would be a reasonable approach. 9/2 seems to be quite good odds.
    "Seems" is the correct word.

However on closer inspection a minority government really is a very narrow band given the most likely scenarios. With SF abstention a majority is +/- 1 seat at 323.

A Con minority is the narrower band with only the DUP and possibly Ukip providing supply and confidence with their 10-15 seats. The viable Con band would appear to be 310-325.

For Labour a wider band is possible given the stated SNP position and their higher projected total. Labour on 280-325 accordingly. That said some SLAB MP's are extremely hostile to any SNP arrangement.

I doubt the LibDems will opt for supply and confidence - All the blame and none of the power. It's Coalition or bust for them.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Indigo said:

BenM said:

Charles said:

BenM said:

A torrid, pitiful PM.

All I can hear is boo-hoo-hoo. 75% of the population want to reduce immigration, half the population want to reduce it by a lot, how do you propose the government does that while staying in the EU. I know you don't approve of their views, but you told us you are in favour of democracy, so how do we accede to the democratic will ?
    Immigration only became an issue thanks to the BBC incessantly trumpeting it and UKIP for much of the last two years, led by Nick Robinson. Even though it briefly became a top issue, all the recent polls indicate it has fallen back dramatically with the old favourites of NHS and the Economy dominating.

Without Nick Robinson to cheerlead the issue, it isn't likely to regain focus as the most important issue in play.
  • Options
    Doddy

"Roger are you saying the electorate,when presented with the renegotiated position, is too stupid to work it all out....and it should be left to the grown ups. How very Soviet"

If Cameron negotiated himself out of the EU I'd get citizenship from an EU country-probably France or maybe Scotland who would surely leave the union under those circumstances. I imagine as someone who lives in Italy you'd do the same?
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Indigo said:

Anecdotally I know several people who will be voting kipper, but who wouldn't say so to any but their closest friends because of the reaction it gets from the right-on segment of the public. There has beenand the dismissed school governor, for people to feel safe about publicly associating themselves with UKIP, which in a democracy is a complete disgrace irrespective of what you think of the party and its policies.

I would like to join UKIP but consider it too dangerous professionally (not because there is anything wrong with them but because of the reaction from ingnoramuses if they found out) so won't until I pack up work in the thick end of a decades time.

Similarly I would like to put a UKIP sticker on my car or house window because I have kids and don't want a brick through the window or the kids getting abuse from other kids.

I certainly would'nt tell a stranger on the phone or knocking at the door that I'm voting UKIP. They might be a pollster but who is to say that the employee doing the poll isn't an SWP member or a member of some other nutty left wing group.

In such a climate it is fairly obvious that the opinion polls are going to underestimate UKIP support. One of the things that makes me cold bloodedly determined to vote for them, even if I had to be wheeled to the polling station in a stretcher, is the fact that I cannot openly say I'm supporting UKIP without fearing the consequences.

I think the reason that they are seen as predominately voted for by pensioners, is that pensioners have nothing to lose by being publically associated with them so can be open.
    There will be shy kippers like yourself, but the kipper vote does also come substantially from the DNV 2010, many of whom will not vote again.

How this balances out is yet to be seen. I suspect that the kippers will come second in a lot of seats but win very few.

I have not met any kipper voters at work, but despite my interest in politics I could only guess at what my colleagues in medicine and nursing are planning to vote. Indeed what is astonishing is how little profile this election has. Far more people speak to me about the reconfiguration plans of our hospitals or Leicester City's prospects in the next game than anything relating to national politics. I have seen no gound politics anywhere, not even a poster in Keith Vaz's office window!
  • Options
    Indigo said:

BenM said:

Charles said:

BenM said:

A torrid, pitiful PM.

That's not how democracy works in this country. The parties put their prospectuses to the public, who then choose MPs. Single issue monomaniacs generally get outvoted by the more balanced approaches of other voters. With the exception of Scotland, that looks likely to happen again this time. And I would expect that to be the case at the election after that as well. And the election after that.

If you don't like it, either persuade more people that the issue is vote-changingly important or accept that most other people think a range of other things are more important.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    News to no one...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11442593/Humourless-people-tend-to-vote-Labour.html

Po-faced people vote Labour, sticklers for the rules support the Tories and SNP voters are seeking a laugh.
    Those caricatures might seem harsh but analysis suggests there could be some truth to political stereotypes.

It shows that those who value tolerance of others least are attracted to Ukip while the least anxious to be polite will look to the Green Party. And after five bruising years in coalition, those who support the Liberal Democrats think life is not fair.
  • Options

Ffs, stayed up to end of England innings, don't believe what woken to. The whole spurs and cricket nightmare starts again?

I'm an old school Chelsea fan and I am very nervous about today, especially without Matic. Zouma will play up against Kane, no way will Cahill play after Kane destroyed him the other week, only hope we have is Hazard up against Walker, who is good going forward but a shocking defender.

And of course Drogba's Wembley record speaks for itself, but I think it will be Spurs 3-1.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Anti Dave, Fat Dave.. all we need now is a picture of Dave on a Cornish beach and the clues will have all added up.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

(continued)
    On the other hand, it's difficult to see a Labour minority government or even a Labour-led coalition lasting long if it comes 5-7% behind in the popular vote and ahead on seats. It would certainly become very unpopular very fast.

With Scotland behaving as it seems it will and the LibDem vote crumbling (albeit holding up much better where they are the incumbents) I just do not believe that LAB can have more seats than CON if they are 5-7% behind in the popular vote.

True 2010 LDs are going much heavier to LAB than CON and true UKIP is taking more CON than LAB. But these effects are already reflected in the popular vote percentages. Certainly my own model suggests that conventional wisdom about CON needing a much higher popular vote than LAB to win more seats is unlikely to prove correct this time round.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    England did about as well in the cricket as Scotland did in the rugby.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Indigo said:

BenM said:

That's not how democracy works in this country. The parties put their prospectuses to the public, who then choose MPs. Single issue monomaniacs generally get outvoted by the more balanced approaches of other voters. With the exception of Scotland, that looks likely to happen again this time. And I would expect that to be the case at the election after that as well. And the election after that.

If you don't like it, either persuade more people that the issue is vote-changingly important or accept that most other people think a range of other things are more important.
    I am well aware we don't really "do" democracy in the UK, there are whole hosts of issues, and seemingly more by the year, where the main parties have the same policy, or at best very fine differentiations on the same policy. If you don't hold those views, you are disenfranchised. Leaving aside the merits of the death penalty, who do you vote for if you want to restore it ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

News to no one...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11442593/Humourless-people-tend-to-vote-Labour.html

Po-faced people vote Labour, sticklers for the rules support the Tories and SNP voters are seeking a laugh.
    Those caricatures might seem harsh but analysis suggests there could be some truth to political stereotypes.

It shows that those who value tolerance of others least are attracted to Ukip while the least anxious to be polite will look to the Green Party. And after five bruising years in coalition, those who support the Liberal Democrats think life is not fair.

More interesting, especially for Indigo and other Kippers : -

"When asked to choose three policies they would like to see in manifestos, from a longer list, only one in four voters overall – and only a third of Tories – singled out an EU referendum as a top priority."
This discussion has been closed.