Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight one poll has a 1% LAB lead – the other has them lev

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited February 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight one poll has a 1% LAB lead – the other has them level-pegging

The big message for the Tories as we go into the last two months and a bit is that they need to have emphatic leads across a range of pollsters to be certain of coming top on seats. Unlike previous elections when you could compute these things relatively easily today it is so much hard to state anything with any certainty.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Of all of the options the Electoral Calculus projection is probably the least likely because it assumes a uniform swing.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Looking forward to the Tory/SNP coalition...

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    No chance - March is 'spring' back and April it's move away to majority!

LAB maximum 270 seats probably 250
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited February 2015
    YouGov going back to Con/Lab tie after just one Lab lead last week is probably bad news for Labour.

Next week's polls will be critical if two or more have Con leads next week I think we'll have reached genuine crossover with YouGov.
  • Options

Go Salmond!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    I find it extraordinary that Betfair still has Tories to win most seats at 1.64. Lots of wishful thinkers?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,317
    edited February 2015
    Using simple averages, overall Lab are 0.9% ahead for this week, but splitting into YouGov and non-YouGov we get:

Tory lead 0.2% average of the five YouGovs
    Lab lead 1.8% average of the six non-YouGovs.

For the ELBOW score so far this week (exc. Sunday YG, as tables awaited), overall, Lab are 0.8% ahead and then the split is:

Tory lead 0.2% ELBOW of four YouGovs (exc. Sunday YG)
    Lab lead 1.7% ELBOW of the six non-YouGovs
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

I find it extraordinary that Betfair still has Tories to win most seats at 1.64. Lots of wishful thinkers?

Hoping ICM wasn't an outlier.

On UNS that poll put the Tories on more seats than 2010.
  • Options
    Coalition at war as #Vince Cable blocks plan by #David Cameron to ban hate preachers from universities @ShippersUnbound @thesundaytimes
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Ave_it said:

No chance - March is 'spring' back and April it's move away to majority!

LAB maximum 270 seats probably 250

Basil would be proud with that goalpost move. Who needs January and February when we have March and April?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2015

Coalition at war as #Vince Cable blocks plan by #David Cameron to ban hate preachers from universities @ShippersUnbound @thesundaytimes

Would help if universities themselves got their own houses in order. University of Westminster just in denial there has been any issue at their institution, despite Henry Jackson Society having built up a large amount of evidence that they have a problem (and not just historical).

But Vince Cable has just been a useless Minister...just Dr No to basically everything.
  • Options
    Well I don't blame them

The Greens have sought to limit appearances by their leader, Natalie Bennett, during the potential leadership debates, only for the move to be blocked by the broadcasters.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/28/natalie-bennett-green-party-limit-leader-screen-broadcasters
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

f you think this is like betting on the toss of a coin then the value bet is Labour.

• Options

Barnesian said:

Only problem is that there was another ICM poll carried out at exactly the same time for Lord Ashcroft - and it had CON on 30% not 36%.

I know because I was part of the sample

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Ave_it said:

Go Salmond!
    Watford made my day today ;-)
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Only problem is that there was another ICM poll carried out at exactly the same time for Lord Ashcroft - and it had CON on 30% not 36%.

But that other ICM poll didn't ask VI first, so that should be filed as not part of the usual ICM methodology.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Dead man walking?

Good. The sooner he gets a bullet between the eyes the better.
  • Options
    Has anybody told Tyson Fury he is missing a boxing glove....
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Dead man walking?

Good. The sooner he gets a bullet between the eyes the better.
    Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Barnesian said:

You know that the poll was carried out, or you know that it was carried out for Ld A, or you know that it had CON on 30% - if the last, how does that work?
  • Options
    Sri Lanka dropped Bell 3 times in 4 overs...lets hope he can take advantage.
  • Options
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Ishmael_X said:

Barnesian said:

You know that the poll was carried out, or you know that it was carried out for Ld A, or you know that it had CON on 30% - if the last, how does that work?
    Mike was actually polled , the poll was carried out from the ICM call centre in Bedford . It was published by Lord Ashcroft a week last Monday .
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

About time the Coalition went properly to war, if they leave it much later it'll be after the election before they know it.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    For Cage is no collection of isolated loonies. As The Telegraph will describe here, it is part of a closely connected network of extremists relentlessly — and successfully — lying to young British Muslims that they are hated and persecuted by their fellow citizens in order to make them into supporters of terror. Cage has an active outreach programme in mosques, universities and community groups. Even more disturbingly, it continues to be treated as a credible partner by respected and respectable organisations, including Liberty and Amnesty International.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11442602/Cage-the-extremists-peddling-lies-to-British-Muslims-to-turn-them-into-supporters-of-terror.html

It amazing that the likes of BBC and Sky haven't done this kind of research before giving them the platform they did...and when they did post an article questioning if maybe CAGE aren't quite what they claim, their evidence against didn't mention half the stuff in this article (much of which is only a google search away).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

It's a complete indictment of the Heavyweight division that Fury is ranked #3 by Ring Magazine.

Brook-Khan is the biggest match up in British boxing right now.
  • Options
    A Conservative MP is in talks with Nigel Farage about defecting to the UK Independence Party just weeks ahead of the general election, the party leader has disclosed.

Mr Farage raised the prospect of another Tory defector ahead of polling day in an interview with The Telegraph on the sidelines of the party’s spring conference in Margate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11442067/Nigel-Farage-promises-another-Tory-defection-to-Ukip.html
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

Barnesian said:

Mike was actually polled , the poll was carried out from the ICM call centre in Bedford . It was published by Lord Ashcroft a week last Monday .
    OK, with you so far, but the 15 February Ashcroft poll gives no clue of the ID of the polling company. How do we know it was ICM?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It's a complete indictment of the Heavyweight division that Fury is ranked #3 by Ring Magazine.

Boxing, in particular heavyweight division at the moment is just absolutely dire. There was an article this week talking about why boxing is down the tubes, and they talked about how it was all the fault of it going to satellite / PPV....except their argument is totally destroyed by the fact UFC is massive...why, UFC is exciting and the best do actually fight each other.

Mayweather vs Pacman is going to be a huge event, but really it will be two boxers 5 years past their best.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    A little too much detail from Paul in Previous thread '...34-35% is much what (36.1%) they got in the 2010 erection and the campaign proper has not started yet.'
  • Options
    Labour = Leeds!

Conservative = Watford!!

At the moment is 2-2!!!

George 'Vydra' Osborne will deliver the winner in March!!!!
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

For Cage is no collection of isolated loonies. As The Telegraph will describe here, it is part of a closely connected network of extremists relentlessly — and successfully — lying to young British Muslims that they are hated and persecuted by their fellow citizens in order to make them into supporters of terror. Cage has an active outreach programme in mosques, universities and community groups. Even more disturbingly, it continues to be treated as a credible partner by respected and respectable organisations, including Liberty and Amnesty International.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11442602/Cage-the-extremists-peddling-lies-to-British-Muslims-to-turn-them-into-supporters-of-terror.html

It amazing that the likes of BBC and Sky haven't done this kind of research before giving them the platform they did...and when they did post an article questioning if maybe CAGE aren't quite what they claim, their evidence against didn't mention half the stuff in this article (much of which is only a google search away).

I wonder if Liberty will look back on this in the same way they look back on allowing PIE (an information exchange for people who believe that not being allowed to have intercourse with children is an affront to their freedom) be affiliated with them in the late 70s and early 80s.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Boxing, in particular heavyweight division at the moment is just absolutely dire. There was an article this week talking about why boxing is down the tubes, and they talked about how it was all the fault of it going to satellite / PPV....except their argument is totally destroyed by the fact UFC is massive...why, UFC is exciting and the best do actually fight each other.

Mayweather vs Pacman is going to be a huge event, but really it will be two boxers 5 years past their best.
    Money will have too much for Pacman I reckon - he's a genuine all time great who unfortunately has put cash ahead of legacy in fight selection at times, but he's also had a lack of competition at times. That's what my head says ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Money will have too much for Pacman I reckon - he's a genuine all time great who unfortunately has put cash ahead of legacy in fight selection at times, but he's also had a lack of competition at times. That's what my head says ;)
    I would agree...also Pacman is further along the process of decline and over the years just taken way more punishment.

Much that Mayweather is a pretty repulsive individual inside and outside the ring, he is able to out box / out think his opponents and I would expect him to do the same with Pacman. It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't that exciting as a fight, Mayweather just effective style that grinds out the points victory.
  • Options
    Rand Paul has won the CPAC straw poll with 25.7%, Scott Walker a strong second with 21.4%, Cruz was 3rd, Carson 4th and Jeb Bush 5th
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/28/cpac-straw-poll-rand-paul-wins-scott-walker-surgin/
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

A Conservative MP is in talks with Nigel Farage about defecting to the UK Independence Party just weeks ahead of the general election, the party leader has disclosed.

Mr Farage raised the prospect of another Tory defector ahead of polling day in an interview with The Telegraph on the sidelines of the party’s spring conference in Margate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/11442067/Nigel-Farage-promises-another-Tory-defection-to-Ukip.html

I am thinking it will be Chris Kelly as he is stepping down and despises Cameron. It will largely depend on if his dad lets him though.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I would agree...also Pacman is further along the process of decline and over the years just taken way more punishment.

Much that Mayweather is a pretty repulsive individual inside and outside the ring, he is able to out box / out think his opponents and I would expect him to do the same with Pacman. It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't that exciting as a fight, Mayweather just effective style that grinds out the points victory.
    Yeah or he might knock Manny out late if he can catch him enough.

Froch-Golovkin would be a barnstormer if it were to happen. Edit: See WBA have mandated Ward-Froch. Thought Ward had retired he's been so inactive !
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @TSE

Has the polling data been published following the Lib Dems claim last week that their private polling had shown them to be 'competitive' in seats like Solihull?
  • Options
    Going wrong for England...Balance really isn't at the races.
  • Options
    Here we go, soon be off to bed....
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    viewcode said:

Dair said:

viewcode said:

My points were:

* UKIP and SNP don't want to overthrow the system, just take power within it (or a duplicate)
    * UKIP and SNP politicians are humans with human flaws.

Neither of those points are absurd

Obviously UKIP are as much a part of the Establishment as the Tories and Labour are, just wanting their place at the trough.

But the idea the SNP are in any way like the Establishment parties when their sole aim is to end the Establishment and dissolve the United Kingdom is farcical.

The Institutions of the Trough are embodies in the United Kingdom and die with it. While Scotland may end up recreating them, that will be nothing to do with the aims of the SNP and merely down to human incompetence.
    My understanding was that SNP want to create a copy of the present system (a head of state delegates authority to an executive who rules in its name, in accordance with laws that cannot be changed without inspection and agreement of a popularly-elected legislature), and retain the existing head of state. The difference would be in detail (a different executive, a different legislature, a new country independent of the UK), not in structure. Is the SNP proposing a written constitution that cannot be changed except via plebiscite? That would be significantly different.
    The SNP are proposing a Unicameral legislature which is a first and important difference, the upper house in Westminster is a troughers paradise and will not be replicated. They are proposing a written constitution, that constitution will state how change can be effected.

You also misunderstand the roadmap. In the first instance the system will have some similarities to the current one (along with some differences as above) but the intention of the SNP is not that this is going to be fixed in stone, there could and almost certainly will be significant change over time, removal of the ridiculous and archaic Monarchy being one of the most obvious ones.

You seem to be advocating Direct Democracy, given that only one country on earth really attempts this, it may be beyond what will be decided by the Scottish people. It is not ruled out.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    john_zims said:

@TSE

Has the polling data been published following the Lib Dems claim last week that their private polling had shown them to be 'competitive' in seats like Solihull?

I thought that topic was off limits.
  • Options
    Catching practice !

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Catching practice !

We'll give more I'm sure!
  • Options
    Dair The SNP want to retain the monarchy, the Queen is of Scottish heritage of course, and stay in the EU, unlike UKIP and their own voters
  • Options
    philiph said:

john_zims said:

@TSE

Intruding on OGH's private grief.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

john_zims said:

@TSE

Private??
  • Options
    philiph said:

Pulpstar said:

philiph said:

john_zims said:

@TSE

Private??
    Haha ye... I reckon despite all the Lib Dem woes 11-2 was a belting price for 6-10 Con gains from them.
  • Options
    I've just looked this up on Wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solihull_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_1990s

We won the GE by 7% in 1979 like 2010 and were 32,000 clear in Solihull!!!

How the * didn't we win this last time ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!??!?!?!
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solihull_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_1990s

Portsmouth South, Taunton Deane, Wells, Solihull, Mid Dorset & North Poole, Somerton & Frome, Chippenham should all go from yellow to blue - probably a few others too.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dair The SNP want to retain the monarchy, the Queen is of Scottish heritage of course, and stay in the EU, unlike UKIP and their own voters

The SNP propose to retain the monarchy at the time of Independence. There is no guarantee beyond that, it is up to the people of Scotland. Plenty of people in Scotland will happily abolish the ridiculous institution within the first few years of Independence.
  • Options
    What CAGE didn't want you to know about Emwazi...

Emwazi was a member of a secret Osama Bin Laden sleeper cell based in Britain called The London Boys, which planned to carry out atrocities in the West;

He was involved with a violent street gang who targeted the wealthy residents of Belgravia with stun guns;

Emwazi was arrested trying to force his way past security on to a passenger flight from Dar es Salaam in Tanzania to Johannesburg without a passport in 2009;
  • Options
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

The SNP propose to retain the monarchy at the time of Independence. There is no guarantee beyond that, it is up to the people of Scotland. Plenty of people in Scotland will happily abolish the ridiculous institution within the first few years of Independence.
    What happens to Balmoral :D ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

I'm sure it will make a smashing hotel. Will raise a nice chunk of cash when we sell it off too.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    HYUFD said:

Rand Paul has won the CPAC straw poll with 25.7%, Scott Walker a strong second with 21.4%, Cruz was 3rd, Carson 4th and Jeb Bush 5th
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/28/cpac-straw-poll-rand-paul-wins-scott-walker-surgin/

Interesting result. It has been noted by others that Walker is pulling support from all segments of the party, the only candidate for the nomination to do so since GW. The fact that he out-polled Cruz so comprehensively at CPAC probably means that Cruz will not enter the race.

It is way too early to make predictions on what the GOP ticket will be, but for those willing to make a small bet if the odds are good enough, I'd suggest Walker-Fiorina.
  • Options
    Dair 54% of Scots want to keep the monarchy, 39% want it scrapped, even SNP voters want to keep it by 46% to 39%
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29126569
  • Options
    The home secretary did seek to deport the man who spoke to Osman on the day of the 21/7 attacks – known in court papers only as J1 – on national security grounds in 2011. The 35-year-old, who has lived in the UK since 1990, won an appeal in 2013 on the grounds that it would be an infringement of his human rights to be sent back to Ethiopia.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/28/mohammed-emwazi-isis-london-bomb-plot-links
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

I'm sure it will make a smashing hotel. Will raise a nice chunk of cash when we sell it off too.
    Didn't realise the SNP was planning to expropriate private property without compensation.

(Balmoral is the personal property of the Windsor family, not a State property. Sandringham is also personal. The Castle of Mey is owned by a Trust, but it is a family trust with the Duke of Rothesay entitled to personal use of the property, not a state trust. Most of the others are owned by the nation).
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    Ave_it said:

A less dramatic but more recent example: the Tory majority in Broxtowe in 1992 (when the majority nationally was 7% too) was 9,891. In 2010 it was 389. There hasn't been much demographic change, but we sorted out where the anti-Tory vote should go. The same happened (in reverse) in Solihull since 1979, where the Labour vote has almost vanished, though Lorelei Burt did remarkably well to hang on in 2010.

• Options
    TimT Interesting, and Rand Paul still won of course and is looking good for the Iowa caucuses. I also see no reason why Cruz should not run having taken third. Walker is flavour of the month at the moment, as many other dull midwestern governors were in 2012, Thune, Daniels etc but I cannot see him winning, Fiorina failed to win the California Senate race
  • Options

Ave_it said:

A less dramatic but more recent example: the Tory majority in Broxtowe in 1992 (when the majority nationally was 7% too) was 9,891. In 2010 it was 389. There hasn't been much demographic change, but we sorted out where the anti-Tory vote should go. The same happened (in reverse) in Solihull since 1979, where the Labour vote has almost vanished, though Lorelei Burt did remarkably well to hang on in 2010.

And in 2015 it will be 5,000! :):):)
  • Options
    Certainly raucous announcement of the CPAC results, king of like 'GOP Idol!'
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/28/politics/cpac-2015-straw-poll-results-rand-paul/index.html
  • Options
    Doubt we'll make 250, perhaps even 200 now.
  • Options

Bit harsh on Labour's prospects! :):):)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Didn't realise the SNP was planning to expropriate private property without compensation.

(Balmoral is the personal property of the Windsor family, not a State property. Sandringham is also personal. The Castle of Mey is owned by a Trust, but it is a family trust with the Duke of Rothesay entitled to personal use of the property, not a state trust. Most of the others are owned by the nation).
    Don't really see much reason for the Saxe-Coburg-Goethe family to keep any of their ill-gotten swag.
  • Options
    @Dair Are you a Jacobite :D ?
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Bit harsh on Labour's prospects! :):):)
    Like it!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Dair Are you a Jacobite :D ?

Jacobites are arguably the strongest adherents to monarchy there are.
  • Options
    We're doing ok in the cricket!

Rooooooooot!!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Dair There was some talk of the Duke of Bavaria being invited to be King of Scotland as he is considered by Jacobites to be the legitimate heir to the Stuart line, along with a host of other contendors including Belgian Michael Lafosse, self-styled Duke of Albany who claims he is the closest living descendant of Bonnie Prince Charlie http://www.channel4.com/news/queen-scotland-alex-salmond-monarchy-tilda-swinton
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Don't really see much reason for the Saxe-Coburg-Goethe family to keep any of their ill-gotten swag.
    I think the Queen has a lot of Scottish blood on her mothers side.

Incidentally can no-one become a true Scot if they have a foreign name? If not Saxe-Coburg-Goetha then why are more recent migrants with names like Anwar or Dua able to be Scots?
  • Options

Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Incidentally can no-one become a true Scot if they have a foreign name? If not Saxe-Coburg-Goetha then why are more recent migrants with names like Anwar or Dua able to be Scots?
    What does the question of whether or not to have an anachronistic, socially regressive and societally damaging monarchy have to do with nationality?
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

What does the question of whether or not to have an anachronistic, socially regressive and societally damaging monarchy have to do with nationality?
    Any citizen should be allowed their property with equal protection of the law.

By all means advocate abolition of the political aspects of the monarchy, but state confiscation of private property is a different matter.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Rooooooooot!!

A run rate under 4.6 is not really "ok".
  • Options
    An al-Qaeda terrorism suspect closely connected to “Jihadi John” is living in London, having used the Human Rights Act to prevent the Government from deporting him.

The legal documents show how the suspect, originally from Ethiopia, has resisted deportation despite being a leading member of al-Shabaab, an al-Qaeda affiliate based in Somalia and responsible for a series of terrorist atrocities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11442643/Jihadi-Johns-friend-cannot-be-deported-from-Britain.html

• Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Descendant of James VI?
  • Options

By all means advocate abolition of the political aspects of the monarchy, but state confiscation of private property is a different matter.

Elizabeth Saxe-Coburg-Goethe is not a citizen of this country and were the monarchy abolished would be a Stateless Person if no specific provision was made.

In any case, any "private" transactions were undertaken with effectively public funds and as such the benefits of such transactions should transfer back to the state as a public good.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Ave_it said:

Rooooooooot!!

A run rate under 4.6 is not really "ok".
    All about the 180 off the last 20 overs!

We will come with a late run - like Conservatives!!
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Dair said:

Elizabeth Saxe-Coburg-Goethe is not a citizen of this country and were the monarchy abolished would be a Stateless Person if no specific provision was made.

In any case, any "private" transactions were undertaken with effectively public funds and as such the benefits of such transactions should transfer back to the state as a public good.
    Try staying down the rabbit hole - I'm sure life is more comfortable for you there.
  • Options
    Edin_RokzEdin_Rokz Posts: 516
    Dair said:

viewcode said:

The SNP are proposing a Unicameral legislature which is a first and important difference, the upper house in Westminster is a troughers paradise and will not be replicated. They are proposing a written constitution, that constitution will state how change can be effected.

You also misunderstand the roadmap. In the first instance the system will have some similarities to the current one (along with some differences as above) but the intention of the SNP is not that this is going to be fixed in stone, there could and almost certainly will be significant change over time, removal of the ridiculous and archaic Monarchy being one of the most obvious ones.

You seem to be advocating Direct Democracy, given that only one country on earth really attempts this, it may be beyond what will be decided by the Scottish people. It is not ruled out.

This is of course the Leftist Socialist Republic version of Independence. The Rightist is of course, maintaining the Monarchy, having an elected second house,low taxes, etc.. The Wee Frees will require total close down of Sunday work and compulsory Sunday church services. The Atheists will have no church services or religious schools. Islamists will have Friday worship, all children will go to madrassers.

You could not really make up Scottish Independence as a work of fiction, nobody would be stupid enough to believe in it, except some.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Ask the citizens of Belgium Holland Spain Denmark Sweden and Norway for starters.
  • Options
    @Dair

'In any case, any "private" transactions were undertaken with effectively public funds and as such the benefits of such transactions should transfer back to the state as a public good.'

Did you copy that from Lenin's playbook?.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Dair

'In any case, any "private" transactions were undertaken with effectively public funds and as such the benefits of such transactions should transfer back to the state as a public good.'

Did you copy that from Lenin's playbook?.

There's nothing left wing about opposing a monarchy.

In fact as the left's clear aim is to roll out more and more benefits to ever less deserving individuals, as the countries biggest benefits scrounger Lizzie is the epitome of the socialist ideal.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2015

I often find it curious how those who are keen to throw passports and then call British people who have got here within the last few years, despise our way of life and are willing to kill to turn our nation into the one they have left, yet a woman, who lets get all the facts:

Elizabeth Windsor was born in the UK and British from birth, her father was born in the uk and also british from birth, as was her mother. Her mothers father was born in the uk as was her mothers mother, her mothers mother mother and father were also born in the uk.

Her fathers mother and her father's father were both born in the uk, as was her fathers father father, and her fathers mother.

You kind of getting the point?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    @Dair

'In fact as the left's clear aim is to roll out more and more benefits to ever less deserving individuals'

At least scroungers is one thing your not short of, can't you hurry up and have another referendum.
  • Options
    So 'Professor Douglas McWilliams, executive chairman of influential City think-tank the Centre for Economic and Business Research' is an 'Osborne aid', according to the Mirror??
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    FPT
    Dair said:

viewcode said:

My points were:

* UKIP and SNP don't want to overthrow the system, just take power within it (or a duplicate)
    * UKIP and SNP politicians are humans with human flaws.

Neither of those points are absurd

Obviously UKIP are as much a part of the Establishment as the Tories and Labour are, just wanting their place at the trough.

But the idea the SNP are in any way like the Establishment parties when their sole aim is to end the Establishment and dissolve the United Kingdom is farcical.

The Institutions of the Trough are embodies in the United Kingdom and die with it. While Scotland may end up recreating them, that will be nothing to do with the aims of the SNP and merely down to human incompetence.
    Utterly deluded. If you want to know who is more of a threat to the establishment, look which one the establishment fights hardest against. Your people lost control of their bodily fluids over a bit of negative press during the referendum - UKIP have endured a concerted multi-channel smear campaign aimed at making voting for them or even talking about them totally socially unacceptable. When have your supporters been publicly called 'fruitcakes loonies and closet racists' by the Prime Minister? When have foster kids been taken away from your members? When has a propaganda docudrama against you been screened? When have the papers been censored for pro-SNP content (as happened this morning to UKIP)?

Quite the contrary, regional nationalisms (with the exception of English nationalism obviously) have been fostered by the establishment (by which I mean the the broader internationalist establishment - you may be obsessed by London but believe it or not it spreads further) over a period of decades, and funded to match. Which is probably why you were so surprised when you got a media duffing up.

As for the trough, the largest trough (in Brussels) is the one your previous leader wished to deny Scots a referendum on was it not?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

So 'Professor Douglas McWilliams, executive chairman of influential City think-tank the Centre for Economic and Business Research' is an 'Osborne aid', according to the Mirror??
    The Daily Mail's URL, if not its story, includes the string, "Top-Treasury-economist".
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Joe Root becomes the youngest England player to score a hundred in a World Cup match
  • Options
    Dair said:

Saxe-Coburg-Goethe = biggest LOL of the year. I thought you were giving it large the other night about how well educated you Scottish chappies are?
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Joe Root becomes the youngest England player to score a hundred in a World Cup match

That reverse smack for 6!
  • Options
    20 years ago, when I were a lad at t'school, I played a reverse sweep and I was told that if I ever did that again, I get dropped.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

GeoffM said:

That reverse smack for 6!
    Brilliant, yes! And now his highest one day score too. On fire.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    Ishmael_X said:

Dair said:

Saxe-Coburg-Goethe = biggest LOL of the year. I thought you were giving it large the other night about how well educated you Scottish chappies are?
    We haven't had such an entertaining Nat since 'Comical James' defenestrated himself - goodness knows what the demands will be if the SNP do get 46 seats.....I reckon 'free Unicorns' will be back on the table......
This discussion has been closed.