Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TNS poll sees the SNP extend their lead from 10% to 16%

Comments

• Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited February 2015
    Its worth noting that this is the largest lead UKIP have had in South Thanet.

Changes since last Bown Thanet South Poll (Nov 2013)

UKIP +10
    Labour -6
    Con -1
    LD -3
  • Options
    Rachel! (sorry just switched over to QT)
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Mortimer said:

A relatively good panel on QT tonight - have a feeling Rachel Reeves will do well out of the next shadow Labour cabinet. I disagree with pretty much everything she says, but could see her as shadow Home or Health Or
    education - much better choice than Tristram in front of the camera...

Rachel Reeves would be pushed to get a job outside Parliament.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    edited February 2015

Mortimer said:

A relatively good panel on QT tonight - have a feeling Rachel Reeves will do well out of the next shadow Labour cabinet. I disagree with pretty much everything she says, but could see her as shadow Home or Health Or
    education - much better choice than Tristram in front of the camera...

Rachel Reeves would be pushed to get a job outside Parliament.
    Harry H Corbett impersonator?

http://youtu.be/zxrFITuYmsc
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957
    Though she might come unstuck here - withs Ed's lower sixth politics of envy and spite on politicians having second jobs...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,931
    SeanT said:

Whatever happens in the General Election of 2015, the near and total extinction of the Liberal Democrats will be a magnificent and glorious spectacle, either as solace, or bonus.

Never has a political party earned its imminent demise so sincerely and diligently. RIP.

Shhhhhhhhh.... I don't think OGH likes us talking about that. ;)

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249
    SeanT said:

Whatever happens in the General Election of 2015, the near and total extinction of the Liberal Democrats will be a magnificent and glorious spectacle, either as solace, or bonus.

Never has a political party earned its imminent demise so sincerely and diligently. RIP.

I think it's rather a shame. Better the Lib Dems than the current Labour Party. For all the bad things people say about them, some of their MPs have been impressive, they did the right thing in joining the coalition and some of their policies e.g. reducing tax on the lower paid and pushing for more resources for mental health services have been very good indeed.

• Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited February 2015
    @SeanT
    It was the Labour Party last election.
    Parties have a habit of coming back like an embarrassing rash.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Why the LibDem hate Sean ???
  • Options
    Grant Shapps is truly underrated - best chairman of this administration. A proper communicator on the Major levels of 'in touch with the man in the street'
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Grant Shapps is truly underrated - best chairman of this administration. A proper communicator on the Major levels of 'in touch with the man in the street'

Spoof post of the day :)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

I think it's rather a shame. Better the Lib Dems than the current Labour Party. For all the bad things people say about them, some of their MPs have been impressive, they did the right thing in joining the coalition and some of their policies e.g. reducing tax on the lower paid and pushing for more resources for mental health services have been very good indeed.

I'd rather have Lib than Lab...

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Are you confusing him with Michael Green?
  • Options
    Directorships and Consultancies, Bad. All other jobs, Good.

These Bellends are taking us for fools.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Talking of spoofs, what happened to Audrey? I miss her posts. Always made me smile, especially when she was winding up OGH. :D

• Options
    I'm a little worried that a decent number of the Labour and Liberal parties truly do not understand that only the private sector generate wealth in this country...And that directors are the highest paid in the private sector...and therefore pay for the majority of public services
  • Options
    Nurse getting a lot of cheers!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    If Survation have Farage in the lead by 11 points then it's too close to call.
  • Options

Directorships and Consultancies, Bad. All other jobs, Good.

These Bellends are taking us for fools.

Directorships bad.....head of charity funding terrorist sympathizers?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

Talking of spoofs, what happened to Audrey? I miss her posts. Always made me smile, especially when she was winding up OGH. :D

Still here, same views, different name, ridiculously affected writing style

Amazed everyone hasn't rumbled it
  • Options

Anyone who in, say, 2011 had predicted the polling figures we are seeing today would have been at risk of being certified.

The only real change since 2011 has been the UKIP breakthrough.

In the May 2011 elections we had Con 38%, Lab 37%, LibDem 15%.

And in Scotland the SNP hammering Labour and the LibDems.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911

Not an election issue apparently
  • Options

You can guarantee the majority of the people clapping will be paying less than the average director and consultant do in tax - and therefore are paying less than their 'fair share' for public services.
  • Options
    @isam
    Ok guv,it's a fair cop, I will come quietly.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I'd love to hear your comments - he is 10x more charismatic and in touch than Ed the Bland

• Options
    isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

I think she was banned, though I don't know why.
  • Options
    Reckless not looking like a Pig Dog to the audience?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Is this one of those caring Florence Nightingale nurses or one of those callous Staffordshire, drink the water out of vases, nurses?
  • Options

Anyone who in, say, 2011 had predicted the polling figures we are seeing today would have been at risk of being certified.

Yes, quite. Staggering changes in Scotland. And pretty remarkable in England & Wales - who would have predicted UKIP doing so well at all, let alone doing so well without it all coming from the Tories?
  • Options
    And from the couldn't make it up...

A gypsy community given more than £1 million in public money to improve their caravan site turned it into a giant cannabis factory.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11437185/Gypsies-given-1m-grant-turned-camp-into-cannabis-factory.html
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    SeanT said:

"Were you still up on Clegg?" will be a new slogan.
    Seriously though, at what time will Sheffield Hallam declare and what would Nick Clegg's concession speech be?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

You can guarantee the majority of the people clapping will be paying less than the average director and consultant do in tax - and therefore are paying less than their 'fair share' for public services.
    You wouldnt know what represents a fair share if it slapped you in the face though would you?
  • Options
    isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

It just shows how much I am influenced by avatars -I've been trying to work out who is meant since it was first mentioned. Without that Mrs Doubtfire, I'm stumped!

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

I notice that amazon.co.uk has The Ice Twins by S K Tremayne in hardback on sale at 5 pounds, a 62% discount.

You notice well, Sir.
    I know absolutely nothing about marketing books, but why would this be so? It appears to be selling well, being #1 in its category on Amazon.co.uk, so why drop the price so drastically, unless it's a 'deal of the day'? The paperback isn't due until September, so it can't be to dump stock.

Also I'm curious (and nosy) - do you get a fixed amount per hardback sold, or does it vary with the price? Told you I was nosy :-)
  • Options
    isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

Hmmmmmm,,,

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited February 2015
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

Come to Scotland and watch the extinction of both.
  • Options

A gypsy community given more than £1 million in public money to improve their caravan site turned it into a giant cannabis factory.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11437185/Gypsies-given-1m-grant-turned-camp-into-cannabis-factory.html

Very entrepreneurial
  • Options

The whole world has gone to pot.
  • Options

Reckless not looking like a Pig Dog to the audience?

Rochester & Strood didn't think he was.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

You wouldnt know what represents a fair share if it slapped you in the face though would you?
    I beg to differ - having just submitted my SA return and coming up to the next bout of Corp tax too...
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Very good
  • Options
    @Mortimer
    You need a really clever accountant, Ozzie knows a few...I have seen the video :)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

Will they own up to who is paying for the lower tax threshold? Will they own up to the sacrifices made elsewhere to pay for mental help care?
    Will they own up to their anti enterprise policies which make it difficult to pay for these policies?

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Doing well, but still not a patch on Liz Kendall.

I don't like Reckless much, but he is a much better media performer than Carswell. If Farage fails to gain a seat then he might be be a better leader prospect.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@SeanT
    It was the Labour Party last election.
    Parties have a habit of coming back like an embarrassing rash.

In the case of the Lib Dems in Scotland, they are on the verge of being downgraded by Ofcom which will mean they are never heard of again by the wider public.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Reckless coming across quite well, Munt not bad either. In fact decent nights all round.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Very good
    Thank you :-)
  • Options
    Speedy said:

SeanT said:

"Were you still up on Clegg?" will be a new slogan.
    Seriously though, at what time will Sheffield Hallam declare and what would Nick Clegg's concession speech be?
    In 2010 Hallam declared about 6am after a shambolic count and voting problems affecting hundreds of people.

It proved to be prophetic for the LibDems experience in government.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Reckless coming across quite well, Munt not bad either. In fact decent nights all round.

She can carry it off on here - but a bit too much sanctimony for Middle England to tolerate other than on Thirstday evening....

• Options
    @Dair
    Never underestimate the power of a sandal wearing lentil eater young padawan!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I beg to differ - having just submitted my SA return and coming up to the next bout of Corp tax too...
    We must agree to differ on whether high rate taxpayers getting a tax cut fits with fair shares (all in it together)
  • Options

I don't like Reckless much, but he is a much better media performer than Carswell. If Farage fails to gain a seat then he might be be a better leader prospect.
    As vain as it is, leaders without a full head of hair struggle in modern Britain...

• Options
    I hope Mhairi is getting well briefed up for next week ^^;
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

As vain as it is, leaders without a full head of hair struggle in modern Britain...

Couldn't he wear a baseball cap?...ooohhhhh..
  • Options
    @Mortimer
    Cammo is in trouble there if the wind blows the wrong way?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Pulpstar said:

I think he has done really well tonight. Rachel Reeves sounds completely braindead. I don't know what it is about Grant Schnapps but he always looks really shifty.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited February 2015
    Mortimer said:

If Reckless and Carswell are the only two UKIP MPs after the election, which follicularly challenged man would be the better leader?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited February 2015
    'I've run 221 marathons.' 'I've had 107 wrestling bouts.' 'I've raised £45m for charity.' So if you balance on one side, £45m-worth of charity, and that is the counterweight to what's on the other side

- Jimmy Savile, 1978
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

We must agree to differ on whether high rate taxpayers getting a tax cut fits with fair shares (all in it together)
    A 'tax cut' that leaves higher earners paying more than 12 years under Labour, and more importantly, more pence in every pound than than average person. I'm not saying progressive taxation is bad, but from my experience when the richest chap at the bar is being mugged for rounds, he tends to stop taking it on the chin after a while....
  • Options
    Has Reckless had voice coaching? I thought he used to sound rather like Sir John..
  • Options
    Reckless spoke brilliantly on QT tonight, better than I have ever heard him, a real sensible opinion on every topic
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

So the Tories and Lib Dems have come to a parting?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    GIN1138 Sir John who won an overall majority in 1992 you mean? Mark was at the College of Law with me a few years ago, his voice is still the same, I just think that defection speech was a little higher than usual!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquart
    Money=morality, no wonder him and Mags got on so well?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

I think he has done really well tonight. Rachel Reeves sounds completely braindead. I don't know what it is about Grant Schnapps but he always looks really shifty.
    I would rank Munt first

Reeves and Schapps both pretty rubbish
  • Options
    Audience the worst performer, yet again. Proving the adage that mass democracy ceases to work effectively When voters understand they can vote themselves largesse...
  • Options

Yes, quite. Staggering changes in Scotland. And pretty remarkable in England & Wales - who would have predicted UKIP doing so well at all, let alone doing so well without it all coming from the Tories?
    Well I wouldn't have predicted the UKIP breakthrough but if I had I would have expected them to gain from both Labour and the LibDems.

The LibDems NOTA vote was always going to be vulnerable once they were in government and Labour's wwc vote has been getting more vulnerable with every year passing.

I would say the big strategic change which has happened since 2010 has been UKIP's repositioning itself from reactionary Toryism to wwc populism.
  • Options
    isam said:

Reckless spoke brilliantly on QT tonight, better than I have ever heard him, a real sensible opinion on every topic

I assume he'll be parachuted into a UKIP safe seat when we win back R&S in May?

Oh wait....
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes her tone is dreadful.

Incidentally, I imagine Shapps' reputation will improve in a similar way to Osborne's over the last 3 years!
  • Options
    edited February 2015

MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

I would rank Munt first

Reeves and Schapps both pretty rubbish
    Munt was good. I disagree with her policies but she performed well. Not enough screentime though. Camilla Long didn't get much screentime either, thankfully.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

Isn't that meant to be the 'attraction' of Shapps / Fox / Green, that he's a bit of a 'duck and dive' self-made character very different from the Cameron / Osborne type background.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Pulpstar said:

chestnut said:

Pulpstar said:

The flipside of the Labour Scottish polling is that the Tories are having a rough time in England.

In the last couple of years, the polls have moved significantly against labour between February and May.Whether the Tories can capitalise on a repeat remains to be seen. UKIP and the SNP have been the main beneficiaries in 2013 and 2014.
    I'm hopeful of copping various SNP boats landing, Lab Minority, Con most seats, Ed PM, Ed, Dave, Nick & all out before the year is out ;)
    The worrying bit is the clown as PM.
    We have had him as PM for five years and you are only getting worried now ;-)
    On immigration,camerons a total clown,but worry not,Ed will double those figues ;-)

What,Ed will be PM for 10 years, I knew we would get you back into the fold. By the way, your man in Corby is looking good. Make sure you get some good champers for the night to celebrate his win.
  • Options
    Looks like Danny Alexander is gearing up for the fight with twee stereotyping of his constituents.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2970162/Take-break-like-break-Danny-Alexander-pins-election-chances-toe-curling-garish-pamphlet-including-recipe-sausage-butternut-squash-stew.html

Cos you know, Highlanders are all about living without electricity and snaffling down bottles of Scotch.

When I saw the title, I threw up a little in my mouth.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Diane 'Second Job' Abbott on This Week, but she voted 'Aye' on Wednesday night.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    The thing that strikes me about South Thanet is that naming the candidates is likely to be the big difference - for many voters, Farage may actually be the only one they know much about at the moment, unless the others have covered the ground in astonishing fashion. I'd think that the effect will be much less in seats where the candidates are not national figures, but it'd be interesting just the same to see more polls with named candidates.
  • Options

Diane 'Second Job' Abbott on This Week. Which way did she vote on Wednesday night?

£700 fee per episode I think it is.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

Isn't that meant to be the 'attraction' of Shapps / Fox / Green, that he's a bit of a 'duck and dive' self-made character very different from the Cameron / Osborne type background.
    He comes across as 21st century Del Boy.

Michael Crick pouncing on Shapps is quite amusing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alp566hl6R8
  • Options
    Munt is like a rather charming young granny from the counties, a very effective communicator, Rachel Long is probably better in film reviews on print than on TV
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ALERT
    Farage speaking on CPAC live.
    http://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-live-cpac-2015-day-1/
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Diane 'Second Job' Abbott on This Week. Which way did she vote on Wednesday night?

Funny how she voted against MP's having 'second jobs', but has a second job!
  • Options
    Wonderful Hannan piece on This Week. Should be compulsory viewing for all voters.
  • Options
    isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

Not all peeps are as smart as you, isam. Maybe best to keep a watching brief for now though I expect things to become clearer after Easter. Difficult call, this. Head says she's here but the heart pulls in a different direction. Not easy to bet on this.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Funny how she voted against MP's having second jobs, but has a second job!
    Diane Abbott a hypocrite, never, did I hear you say private schooling?
  • Options
    Has Hannan ever run for Westminster? He is a credit to my
    Party, and ought to be selected for Kensington....
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Farage is hitting all the right notes on CPAC if he wanted to run for the GOP presidential candidate, all about corrupt elites, liberal media and immigration.
    He is also making some good jokes at the moment involving the germans and his german wife.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Munt is like a rather charming young granny from the counties, a very effective communicator, Rachel Long is probably better in film reviews on print than on TV

HYUFD you mean Rachel Reeves?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Abbott - "It's not a job, it's a privilege (and that's £700 please)". Shameless. By rights, the electorate should give her the boot; she's ideally placed for advice from Portillo on how to lose, and save a little face.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

isam said:

I assume he'll be parachuted into a UKIP safe seat when we win back R&S in May?

Oh wait....
    A lawyer speaks well in his own self interest? Now there is a surprise.
    Reckless is free to say what he wants without having to price up the consequences. Did he at all mention the massive increase in jobs in the economy when talking about immigration by any chance?
  • Options
    Mortimer I believe he said he would stay in Brussels as that was where most of the power was and he wanted to be an enemy within

Speedy Thanks, Farage 'UKIP the party of aspiration, earlier you get up more likely you vote UKIP, UKIP crosses party lines, GOP needs Reagan Democrats again hard working and patriotic!'
  • Options
    Oh my, Farage interfered in american politics, he suggested that the GOP has to attract the Reagan Democrats that no longer vote for them, I don't know how will that go down among his hosts.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Applause for Farage for pushing a more isolationist stance and regretting Libyan action, ISIS a great threat but need Arab nations troops on ground, west mistaken to pursue multiculturalism, common law not Sharia law, anti PC
  • Options
    They've nicked this from ME !
  • Options

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Mortimer said:

Not all peeps are as smart as you, isam. Maybe best to keep a watching brief for now though I expect things to become clearer after Easter. Difficult call, this. Head says she's here but the heart pulls in a different direction. Not easy to bet on this.
    Haha that really is excellent
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    And that was Farage for president of the USA.
    I think he would have done much better in american politics that british politics.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Has Hannan ever run for Westminster? He is a credit to my
    Party, and ought to be selected for Kensington....

Has he ever been asked why he isn't interested in Westminster? He hasn't exactly praised Dave so maybe that has something to do with it.
  • Options
    Speedy Well he got a standing ovation, he probably has most in common with Rand Paul than anyone else in US politics
  • Options
    Sunil No, Rachel Long is ST film critic
  • Options
    Today the identity of Jihadi John was revealed, the FCC voted on unpublished Net Neutrality Rules pushed by Obama, trying to do for the internet what he did to the healthcare system, Congress still hasn't approved Homeland Security funding.......

What does CNN go with?

Live coverage of police in Phoenix chasing and capturing two escaped Llamas. CNN couldn't decide if they were llamas or alpacas. No wonder their ratings are so low.

My immediate reaction was to cry - Cuidado Llamas! Las llamas son más grandes que las ranas
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sunil No, Rachel Long is ST film critic

HYUFD Camilla Long!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Today the identity of Jihadi John was revealed, the FCC voted on unpublished Net Neutrality Rules pushed by Obama, trying to do for the internet what he did to the healthcare system, Congress still hasn't approved Homeland Security funding.......

What does CNN go with?

Live coverage of police in Phoenix chasing and capturing two escaped Llamas. CNN couldn't decide if they were llamas or alpacas. No wonder their ratings are so low.

My immediate reaction was to cry - Cuidado Llamas! Las llamas son más grandes que las ranas

Alpacas are from Al Pacastan? :)
This discussion has been closed.