Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on MPs with 2 jobs

1235»

Comments

• Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Speedy said:

Michael Crick ✔ @MichaelLCrick

Labour NEC panel to re-interview for Bradford West selection on Monday, following sudden resignation of Amina Ali. Again women only list

Can Lord A do a constituency poll for Bradford West, it will be interesting to see if Galloway is going to be re-elected.
    10,000 missing postal votes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Joshua Leakey's mum must be the proudest woman on earth.
  • Options

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB

So far this week LAB has not been in the lead with YouGov. Two level pegging & 1 CON lead

Shades of Jan 26 to 29

Con +1
    Con +1
    Tied
    Tied

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Pulpstar said:

Labour NEC panel to re-interview for Bradford West selection on Monday, following sudden resignation of Amina Ali. Again women only list

Do you live in Bradford West - any sign of the Respect Ground Game coming on there ?
    Yes I do live in Bradford west and no sign of any parties ground game,all Quiet on the western front ;-)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Do you live in Bradford West - any sign of the Respect Ground Game coming on there ?
    Yes I do live in Bradford west and no sign of any parties ground game,all Quiet on the western front ;-)
    It's a two horse race :D
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,320
    edited February 2015
    Rather than just endless speculation on here one thing that would be really useful is if someone could get hold of actual up to date electorate numbers.

I don't know how difficult this is. But if a lot of work is required could it be done for a sample of key seats?

Then compare to electorate in say 2013. This will then give an idea of the effect of Individual Voter Registration.

Some numbers were published a few weeks ago (can't remember where) showing the number of attainers (ie new people on register due to reaching 18) in certain seats was way, way, way down on normal.

This just might be important. Can anyone do it?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited February 2015
    Dair said:

Speedy said:

Can Lord A do a constituency poll for Bradford West, it will be interesting to see if Galloway is going to be re-elected.
    10,000 missing postal votes.
    Well it's a curious case, Galloway has a 10000 majority from the by-election 3 years ago.
    Even if Labour do try to stitch it up they will come face to face with several mighty obstacles. Besides the very large majority Galloway has emulated Lutfur Rahman in control of the local muslim vote, also Galloway is the most left wing MP at a time when very left wing and very right wing parties are very popular, add to that his national name recognition and it will be almost impossible for Labour to win there.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,452

Incidentally, I think we may have had a game-changer today. Even the Beeb was struggling to find a coherent way of attacking Osborne's quite remarkable new initiative. The contrast between the grown-ups talking about how to deal with the interface between the NHS and social care on the one hand, and Labour on the other hand, was stark.

R5 Drive were pushing the Labour line of transferring a deficit very strongly but seemed to be struggling to find anyone who agreed with Burnham.

The fact that all this power was being delegated to a Labour dominated set of Councils made his attack seem even more incoherent than normal but the idea that this undermines the National HS is an interesting one. We have been looking for ways of breaking up this absurd leviathan for ages and it may be that Osborne has cracked it. Still pretty large units for management but a big step up on what we have at the moment.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Why are UKIP not standing in Bradford west ;-)

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited February 2015
    DavidL said:

Incidentally, I think we may have had a game-changer today. Even the Beeb was struggling to find a coherent way of attacking Osborne's quite remarkable new initiative. The contrast between the grown-ups talking about how to deal with the interface between the NHS and social care on the one hand, and Labour on the other hand, was stark.

R5 Drive were pushing the Labour line of transferring a deficit very strongly but seemed to be struggling to find anyone who agreed with Burnham.

The fact that all this power was being delegated to a Labour dominated set of Councils made his attack seem even more incoherent than normal but the idea that this undermines the National HS is an interesting one. We have been looking for ways of breaking up this absurd leviathan for ages and it may be that Osborne has cracked it. Still pretty large units for management but a big step up on what we have at the moment.
    At one point, they had a lovely balance of a NHA Party spokesman vs a doctor who hated the idea of an market / private provision in the NHS but willing to entertain the idea of joined up budget. It is the no change other than much more money vs most minimal of changes in the NHS plus more money. Full range of opinions there.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited February 2015

Christ on a bike, yet another "Game Changer".Game Changer meet crossover January, oh look there is pulling away February talking to regular majority winning leads March who was dancing with Mansion Tax Miliband disaster.All partying away in PBHodgeland.

I love this place.
  • Options
    By the way I was focusing so much on UKIP's chances on seats that I forgot Bradford West.
    Galloway is at 5/4 to be re-elected with Ladbrokes and 11/8 with PP, it looks like a bargain right now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Even Burnham doesn't seem to agree with Burnham, and Balls certainly doesn't.
  • Options

Christ on a bike, yet another "Game Changer".Game Changer meet crossover January, oh look there is pulling away February talking to regular majority winning leads March.All partying away in PBHodgeland.

I love this place.
    Another? Really?

What was the previous one, or were you imagining things as usual?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Dair said:

And that commitment to free education and worker education arose from

Better together, as I may have heard somewhere...

That's actually quite a difficult question to answer. Once Universal Education began, it obviously took some years to develop but by the mid 18th century when it became a full flow, how much was that developed by Britain.

It is not clear whether Scotland could not have been a new Netherlands or Denmark or Portugal - very small countries which flourished (for whatever reason) despite being so much smaller than their comparator countries.

The impact of Darien is completely overblown. In fact, the only people who were hurt by Darien were the wealthy aristocracy. Without the Union, Scotland would have been a very equal society (more equal than the Netherlands) with a much better educated people than any other country on earth.

What is without doubt, however, is that had Scotland become independent at the same time as either Norway in 1902 or Ireland in 1922, she would, today, be the richest nation on earth.

England has clearly benefited greatly from the rape of Scotland.
    England gained from the Union with Scotland, I agree, but that does not negate the fact that it was the Union with England that made Scotland great. It is not a zero sum game.

Darien was a failure because Scotland had neither the economic infrastructure nor the mercantile experience to make a succesful trading colony in the 17th century. Scotland was too late to the game and too weak to compete with the successful overseas colonies founded in the 16th and 17th centuries by Iberian, English, French, Dutch and Hanseatic rivals.

Scottish education was driven by Calvinism (itself an import from mainland Europe) as part of a Protestant revolution that changed the world and how it thought.

That seed fell in fertile soil in Scotland where the people were increasingly tired of being kept down by a feudal and Celtic culture based around clan loyalty. It gave them a wider universalist view of the world that transcended old barriers.

Darien failed, but Union with England combined English mercantile expertise, finance and naval prowress with Scottish ingenuity, work ethic and ambition. It gave access to the American and later Canadian, African, Indian and Australasian markets. There was little Free Trade at that time and without the British Empire Scotland would not have had shipyards on the Clyde, Jute mills in Dundee and Bengal, the Georgian New Town in Edinburgh or troops, pipebands, football, golf or whisky anywhere.

I apprecate times have changed, but it was the Union that made the Scottish Enlightentment a world phenomenon. Without it Scotland would have been more likely to be have been another Lithuania or Galicia than another Holland or Sweden. (And both of these were fading by 1707 too).

• Options
    edited February 2015

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Why are UKIP not standing in Bradford west ;-)

They are standing, just with a white non-muslim whose name is not George Galloway, so their chances are nil.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Christ on a bike, yet another "Game Changer".Game Changer meet crossover January, oh look there is pulling away February talking to regular majority winning leads March who was dancing with Mansion Tax Miliband disaster.All partying away in PBHodgeland.

I love this place.
    More made up crap. Why do you bother? It's not as if we can't read what has actually been posted on here.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Even Burnham doesn't seem to agree with Burnham, and Balls certainly doesn't.
    Balls seems to be agreeing increasingly little with his front bench colleagues at the moment. Still think there is potential for real disruption there.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    Dair said:

And that commitment to free education and worker education arose from the Presbyterian need for people to study and understand the Bible.

The second part of Scotlands greatness came from Union with England and consequent access to the world. It was the Georgians and Victorians that allowed that Scottish enlightenment to flourish in so many areas of industry, thought, sport, and other diverse fields.

Better together, as I may have heard somewhere...

That's actually quite a difficult question to answer. Once Universal Education began, it obviously took some years to develop but by the mid 18th century when it became a full flow, how much was that developed by Britain.

It is not clear whether Scotland could not have been a new Netherlands or Denmark or Portugal - very small countries which flourished (for whatever reason) despite being so much smaller than their comparator countries.

The impact of Darien is completely overblown. In fact, the only people who were hurt by Darien were the wealthy aristocracy. Without the Union, Scotland would have been a very equal society (more equal than the Netherlands) with a much better educated people than any other country on earth.

What is without doubt, however, is that had Scotland become independent at the same time as either Norway in 1902 or Ireland in 1922, she would, today, be the richest nation on earth.

England has clearly benefited greatly from the rape of Scotland.
    I thought Irish Republicans were the Most Oppressed People Ever, but you rival them in self-pity.

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Christ on a bike, yet another "Game Changer".Game Changer meet crossover January, oh look there is pulling away February talking to regular majority winning leads March.All partying away in PBHodgeland.

I love this place.
    Another? Really?

The Mansion Tax Riots was the last one. Millionaires getting their butlers to take to the streets and cause mischief. There are a whole host of Miliband "disasters" that were going to bring on the Tory surge towards nailed on majorities.
  • Options

DavidL said:

At one point, they had a lovely balance of a NHA Party spokesman vs a doctor who hated the idea of an market / private provision in the NHS but willing to entertain the idea of joined up budget. It is the no change other than much more money vs most minimal of changes in the NHS plus more money. Full range of opinions there.
    I miss Peter Allen. The program has gone markedly downhill since he left. There was an interview of a solicitor who was not very happy that his 17 year old client had been tasered 4-6 times while in a room with 6 cops that was frankly embarrassing.
  • Options

The Mansion Tax Riots was the last one. Millionaires getting their butlers to take to the streets and cause mischief. There are a whole host of Miliband "disasters" that were going to bring on the Tory surge towards nailed on majorities.

No there weren't, and certainly not from me. You ought to read what I write more carefully. You might learn something.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

No there weren't, and certainly not from me. You ought to read what I write more carefully. You might learn something.
    No offence Richard, but I don't think anything would be learnt.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

I love this place.
    Another? Really?

It looks to me as though this may be the week the two parties have reached parity, in polling terms.
  • Options

Have to say that it makes an interesting contrast to see Osborne devolve power to very Labour Greater Manchester, when Labour only ever devolved powers to bits of the country they thought they would control in perpetuity.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Sean_F said:

I love this place.
    Another? Really?

It looks to me as though this may be the week the two parties have reached parity, in polling terms.
    Bobbing along until after Easter is most likely.
  • Options
    Bradford West Labour candidate Amina Ali confirms resignation - just days after selection

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/11816379.UPDATE__Bradford_West_Labour_candidate_Amina_Ali_confirms_resignation___just_days_after_selection/

She said it was hard for her to bring her kids to Bradford for the next 70 days,can't labour find someone who lives in Bradford for Christ sake and again labour going for a all women short list.

Galloway must be laughing at the stupidity of the labour party.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2015
    DavidL said:

Balls seems to be agreeing increasingly little with his front bench colleagues at the moment. Still think there is potential for real disruption there.

Yes, it really is an astonishing spectacle. You really have to rub your eyes in disbelief at the prospect that the Labour front bench might be in power in 10 weeks' time.

And - pace compouter2 - I do not mean that Labour's opponents can't believe it. I mean that the Labour front bench themselves give very firmly the impression that they don't believe it. They are not even pretending to be readying themselves for government. It's quite extraordinary, given the polling. It just doesn't add up.
  • Options

Premier League (Phone)

ICM
    Ashcroft
    Ipsos-MORI
    ComRes (Indy/Mail)

Championship (Online)

YG
    Populus
    TNS
    Opinium
    ComRes (Indy on Sunday)
    Survation

I know thats controversial but 2015 demographics are unlike anything before. Don't trust online pollsters a jiffetyjotty & I'm also wobbling re phonesters cos of sampling problems.

Past performance does not equal future results. I'll repost 3 key questions which I think will determine which pollster does best in 2015

1) How well will past vote recall work this time when the political climate is so volatile? It will have been a 5 year parliament and voters will have had Euro and local elections + Holyrood and Welsh Assembly outside England. It doesn't matter if people get these elections muddled up if they always voted the same way. When people have voted for multiple parties this could be an issue
    2) How well will turnout filters work? UKIP and the SNP have had some success in energising previous non-voters but how many of them will actually turnout to vote?
    3) What impact will individual registration have? Some people may tell the pollsters they intend to vote and then turn up at the ballot box to find they can't
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yes, it really is an astonishing spectacle. You really have to rub your eyes in disbelief at the prospect that the Labour front bench might be in power in 10 weeks' time.

And - pace compouter2 - I do not mean that Labour's opponents can't believe it. I mean that the Labour front bench themselves give very firmly the impression that they don't believe it. They are not even pretending to be readying themselves for government. It's quite extraordinary, given the polling. It just doesn't add up.
    Ed Balls has created his own diversion today though:

"I'm a 'long slow burn' in bed"
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

They've been neck-and-neck for a while, with probably a tiny Labour lead. I agree with Nick P that nothing much has changed for several weeks; if there has been a pro-Tory move in the last couple of weeks, it's very small.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

DavidL said:

The failure of Ed Miliband's leadership lies not in pre-distribution jargon or sarnie eating. It lies in his inability to form a coherent disciplined team with a clear programme of proposals, over a period of sevefal years. Shocking.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

My immediate reaction was that he sounded demob-happy.

Makes me nervous about my Next Chancellor bets...
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Translation - Porker has trouble 'raising the flag' and Yvette falls asleep after half an hour.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I love this place.
    Another? Really?

We've been here before - Labour were reduced to an ELBOW lead of only 0.5% on 23rd November last year
  • Options

Bradford West Labour candidate Amina Ali confirms resignation - just days after selection

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/11816379.UPDATE__Bradford_West_Labour_candidate_Amina_Ali_confirms_resignation___just_days_after_selection/

She said it was hard for her to bring her kids to Bradford for the next 70 days,can't labour find someone who lives in Bradford for Christ sake and again labour going for a all women short list.

Wtf did Labour chose a bloody tower Hamlets Councillor - just smacks of some weird sort of PC racism...
  • Options

Premier League (Phone)

ICM
    Ashcroft
    Ipsos-MORI
    ComRes (Indy/Mail)

Championship (Online)

YG
    Populus
    TNS
    Opinium
    ComRes (Indy on Sunday)
    Survation

I know thats controversial but 2015 demographics are unlike anything before. Don't trust online pollsters a jiffetyjotty & I'm also wobbling re phonesters cos of sampling problems.

Past performance does not equal future results. I'll repost 3 key questions which I think will determine which pollster does best in 2015

1) How well will past vote recall work this time when the political climate is so volatile? It will have been a 5 year parliament and voters will have had Euro and local elections + Holyrood and Welsh Assembly outside England. It doesn't matter if people get these elections muddled up if they always voted the same way. When people have voted for multiple parties this could be an issue
    2) How well will turnout filters work? UKIP and the SNP have had some success in energising previous non-voters but how many of them will actually turnout to vote?
    3) What impact will individual registration have? Some people may tell the pollsters they intend to vote and then turn up at the ballot box to find they can't
    Without going into specifics, one pollster told me "we're all nervous about this one". Given size and complexity of the flows between parties (and the issues you guys mentioned), there's an unprecedented amount of ways they could cock this up...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Not 100% sure he'll stick around if the SNP are propping Ed up tbh.
  • Options

Premier League (Phone)

ICM
    Ashcroft
    Ipsos-MORI
    ComRes (Indy/Mail)

Championship (Online)

YG
    Populus
    TNS
    Opinium
    ComRes (Indy on Sunday)
    Survation

I'll add a 4th question. Will the LD vote % better reflect their position in stage 1 or stage 2 of Ashcroft's constituency polls.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

They've been neck-and-neck for a while, with probably a tiny Labour lead. I agree with Nick P that nothing much has changed for several weeks; if there has been a pro-Tory move in the last couple of weeks, it's very small.

With 5 or 6 weeks to the GE,can't the tories dump the lib dems out of Government and run as a minority Con Government for the last month up to the GE ;-)

I'm sure that would give the blue's a poll boost as a con Government ;-)

It's a thought ;-)

When I say dump the lib dems out,I mean persuade our yellow friends it's in they best interest to go it alone ;-)
  • Options

Premier League (Phone)

ICM
    Ashcroft
    Ipsos-MORI
    ComRes (Indy/Mail)

Championship (Online)

YG
    Populus
    TNS
    Opinium
    ComRes (Indy on Sunday)
    Survation

Without going into specifics, one pollster told me "we're all nervous about this one". Given size and complexity of the flows between parties (and the issues you guys mentioned), there's an unprecedented amount of ways they could cock this up...
    Two ways to play the election as a punter - either try to pick off seemingly wrong prices or wade in with big brass balls.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Wtf did Labour chose a bloody tower Hamlets Councillor - just smacks of some weird sort of PC racism...
    Agree.

• Options

I take it you are referring to the Hospitals in Manchester being devolved to Greater Manchester Councils and then to a locally elected area Mayor.

It brings to mind DC's EVEL and I wonder if he is aware that this could come back and bite Osborne in the nether regions.

If my understanding is correct, EVEL is meant to stymie the Evil Scots Nats being allowed to vote on purely English matters which are devolved in Scotland, but there is still the question of London MP's being allowed to vote on English policies that the rest of the English MP's cannot vote on London devolved matters, and now Manchester MP's will have the problem with Health.

I believe that the constituency of Tatton is quite close to Greater Manchester. Heaven forfend that any one would question the Chancellors ability to vote on health matters that he has so cunningly devolved.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

On the other hand this looks like the start of Burnham's leadership bid.
  • Options

England gained from the Union with Scotland, I agree, but that does not negate the fact that it was the Union with England that made Scotland great. It is not a zero sum game.

Darien was a failure because Scotland had neither the economic infrastructure nor the mercantile experience to make a succesful trading colony in the 17th century. Scotland was too late to the game and too weak to compete with the successful overseas colonies founded in the 16th and 17th centuries by Iberian, English, French, Dutch and Hanseatic rivals.

[SNIP]

I apprecate times have changed, but it was the Union that made the Scottish Enlightentment a world phenomenon. Without it Scotland would have been more likely to be have been another Lithuania or Galicia than another Holland or Sweden. (And both of these were fading by 1707 too).

The failure of Darien was nothing to do with its commercial benefit - in fact today the most profitable commercial enterprise in the entire world is the Darien Scheme - it's called the Panama Canal. If anything it was ahead of its time and the problem was a lack of understanding of disease. Darien wasn't just a great idea in 1695, it is a great idea in 2015 which is why Panama is building the second Panama canal to accommodate largest boats.

Yes the lack of colonies would have been a strong impediment to Scotland. But it was the same in Prussia which still became a Major Power despite lacking any colonies and it did so by copying the Scottish model of Universal Education and by developing their own enlightenment.

There are lots of European countries which were caused no harm by lacking colonies. Sweden and Norway did perfectly well with no colonial ambitions and Denmark had given that up by 1700 and still did spectacularly well. Northern European protestant countries found no detriment to being "empires".

In the industrial revolution, just making steam engines 200% more efficient (a Scottish invention based on Scottish study at a Scottish university) was significantly profitable to the country that developed it. In so many other fields the Scottish University advantage made profound differences.

Let's be realistic, over 100 years of Universal Education made Scotland the best placed country in the world to progress since 1700. Arguably America copied Scotland's model and made it very successful.

Size might have been an issue. But reality says, Scotland would have done very, very well without the Union. And brilliantly since 1975.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Guardian report suggested that the local clan elders used their block vote for her because their preferred candidate didn't make the shortlist and the other two candidates on the shortlist were local people they wanted to stop.

Sounds like she was surprised to win, and was maybe only hoping to make a good showing in the selection meeting so that she would have a better chance at a seat in London sometime later.
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Dair said:

Nick Sutton ✔ @suttonnick

Thursday's Times front page:
    Putin ready to turn off Europe's gas supply
    #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/dmHWtBzFSP

He's running out of winter. Although Germany should have done it, after all, it's only Germany and Poland that care about Russian gas.
    When the Ukraine stops cutting off the gas from the Donbass then Russia will withdraw the demand for payment. A humanitarian disaster has already been inflicted on the Donbass from the invasion, freezing them is beyond the pale.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Or Yvette's. I'm happy either way.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Guardian report suggested that the local clan elders used their block vote for her because their preferred candidate didn't make the shortlist and the other two candidates on the shortlist were local people they wanted to stop.

Sounds like she was surprised to win, and was maybe only hoping to make a good showing in the selection meeting so that she would have a better chance at a seat in London sometime later.
    I hope Labour's ground game is a bit more organised in Bradford East :) Probably backed Labour too short there though I doubt it will lose.
  • Options
    Edin_Rokz said:

I believe that the constituency of Tatton is quite close to Greater Manchester. Heaven forfend that any one would question the Chancellors ability to vote on health matters that he has so cunningly devolved.

The Chancellor, like all Conservatives, has been keen to take party politics out of the NHS for years. He'll no doubt be delighted if parliament's role is to set the overall budget and goals, and leave delivery to locally accountable bodies.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Black, Muslim, Woman. From Tower Hamlets.

It's like "hello Labour, is this what we are".
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Can't see it being Yvette with her CFS, it's remarkable she can be a frontline politician with it but potential PM would be too much I think.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Dair said:

He's running out of winter. Although Germany should have done it, after all, it's only Germany and Poland that care about Russian gas.
    When the Ukraine stops cutting off the gas from the Donbass then Russia will withdraw the demand for payment. A humanitarian disaster has already been inflicted on the Donbass from the invasion, freezing them is beyond the pale.
    I believe the Donbass cheloveks haven't paid for their gas. How the world works, in case you hadn't noticed.
  • Options

FalseFlag said:

Dair said:

I believe the Donbass cheloveks haven't paid for their gas. How the world works, in case you hadn't noticed.
    I just realised you said "invasion", can't believe you agree Russia has invaded the Ukraine, but welcome to civilization.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    The Golden Bear Lives!!!

Just announced - Jack Nicklaus Premium Ice Cream

http://www.nicklaus.com/news/jack-nicklaus-ice-cream-coming-to-freezer-near-you
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

The Golden Bear Lives!!!

Just announced - Jack Nicklaus Premium Ice Cream

http://www.nicklaus.com/news/jack-nicklaus-ice-cream-coming-to-freezer-near-you

Nicklaus-bocker Glory?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

FalseFlag said:

Dair said:

I just realised you said "invasion", can't believe you agree Russia has invaded the Ukraine, but welcome to civilization.
    The first proper war caused directly by the EU.
  • Options
    Number cruncher - I work in MR (not political polling) and I can easily imagine they are nervous. All these factors this time around make it much more likely someone will have a reputation damaging bad result. Add in some extra factors that can affect polling in a normal election:

1) Your last poll before the election is an outlier
    2) Your polling is accurate but there is late swing at the ballot box.

Just to give an idea how volatile it is

In 2010, Lab lost 6% of the vote mainly to LD and Con. UKIP gained 1% presumably mostly from Con. turnout was up 4%. Allowing a bit for churn and excluding new voters and those who died, we can say maybe 12% of voters changed their vote.

Now looking at the current polls, UKIP are up 12%, the Greens up 5%, the SNP up 2% so we could easily be looking at 20-25% changing their vote from last time
  • Options
    Dair said:

Tut Tut, must be a quick Darien quote from the SNP bible.

The Darien Bubble was quite spectacular in it's time and certainly managed to impoverish a large number of investors when the project failed.

The scheme was probably well intended and looking back on it, you can see that it had the good idea of building a road across the isthmus and joining the Pacific and Atlantic. This would have obviously increased Scottish maritime and trade power well in advance of the Panama Canal being built.

However, when the shares came to be traded, they were in today's parlance, ramped up and split beyond belief. Whole congregations saved up to buy whole shares or even small percentage/fraction shares, the same with cities, towns, villages and communities right across the country.

It became a patriotic duty (sound familiar?) to buy into the scheme, after all, it was going to make Scotland one of the richest countries on the planet and every one would share in it.

The major problem was that the Scots took the wrong trade goods to the Darien area. There was no call for woolen clothes and fabrics in the tropics, let alone the latest scottish fashions suitable for the weather Scotland had experienced at that time (Mini ice age 20 to 30 years earlier).

That the Traders did not seemingly notify the major European power controlling the area was highly undiplomatic and did not please the local Spanish forces when they found out about the intruders. The Spanish locals were at that time a little peeved with English "Pirates" and probably did not care that there was a difference between Scots and English who both came from the same island anyway.

When the scheme collapsed, it virtually bankrupted the whole of Scotland but not probably the rampers who had sold out, taking their large profits and moved on, much like the hedge funds and banks of today.

• Options
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Pulpstar said:

Swing(ers) back ?
  • Options

Edin_Rokz said:

The Chancellor, like all Conservatives, has been keen to take party politics out of the NHS for years. He'll no doubt be delighted if parliament's role is to set the overall budget and goals, and leave delivery to locally accountable bodies.

Edin_Rokz said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Edin_Rokz said:

Ah! But will the Chancellor be able to keep his sticky fingers out of the pie? If he can, he will be the first in British history.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

FalseFlag said:

Dair said:

No, it's caused by the good old nineteenth century concept of irredentism and the idea that anyone who speaks Russian is Vladimir Vladimirovich's. A pernicious concept if there ever was one. It's a bit like saying that anyone who speaks Spanish should be part of Spain.

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Don't those that smoke normally do so after cocking up............

Err.....The economy?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

What next? "Yvette? A genuine three-holer". I think at this point I ought to get my coat.

• Options
    Moses_ said:

Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Don't those that smoke normally do so after cocking up............

Err.....The economy?
    It could be flames licking various bits of Yvette...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/26/mps-demand-shakeup-at-top-of-the-bbc

So scrap the Trust and create basically a new Trust...we have been here before with the board of governors. All that ends up happening is a load of money spent, the same old "political" appointments are made and they turn up, collect their money and tell us that the BBC got it about right...or in the case of Pattern, I don't know, make yourself look like a total tit who has no idea what is going on.

They have also kicked any real solution to the license fee into the long grass. There is no way into todays world they can enforce it, and saying oh well you have to now pay it otherwise watching iPlayer on catchup will be breaking the law not going to work.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

FalseFlag said:

Dair said:

No, it's caused by the good old nineteenth century concept of irredentism and the idea that anyone who speaks Russian is Vladimir Vladimirovich's. A pernicious concept if there ever was one. It's a bit like saying that anyone who speaks Spanish should be part of Spain.

All English-speaking countries (de facto or de jure) should be part of the Commonwealth!
  • Options
    Labour Baron Moonie of Bennochy Pie comes out in favour of Labour-Tory coalition.

• Options

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/feb/26/mps-demand-shakeup-at-top-of-the-bbc

So scrap the Trust and create basically a new Trust...we have been here before with the board of governors. All that ends up happening is a load of money spent, the same old "political" appointments are made and they turn up, collect their money and tell us that the BBC got it about right...or in the case of Pattern, I don't know, make yourself look like a total tit who has no idea what is going on.

They have also kicked any real solution to the license fee into the long grass. There is no way into todays world they can enforce it, and saying oh well you have to now pay it otherwise watching iPlayer on catchup will be breaking the law not going to work.

It's unacceptable in this day and age that people are forced to pay a licence fee - which is really a tax - of 145.50 gbp for merely owning or renting a TV set.

Ditch the fee and go to a subscription model. That gives you - during fundraising periods - direct feedback on what people want to see and what they don't. That helps with production, program purchase, and scheduling. PBS and NPR over here are the perfect example of this - how you can run a TV and radio network without the need for advertising.

It's not the 1950s any more. Everything the BBC offers is available elsewhere.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

FalseFlag said:

Dair said:

All English-speaking countries (de facto or de jure) should be part of the Commonwealth!
    Canada is quite happy to be so - trust me the USA would not.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Tim_B said:

It's unacceptable in this day and age that people are forced to pay a licence fee - which is really a tax - of 145.50 gbp for merely owning or renting a TV set.

Ditch the fee and go to a subscription model. That gives you - during fundraising periods - direct feedback on what people want to see and what they don't. That helps with production, program purchase, and scheduling. PBS and NPR over here are the perfect example of this - how you can run a TV and radio network without the need for advertising.

I actually look at it just from the reality of the technology side of things. This report says no change for another 10+ years, because it isn't possible. What utter BS. I already can watch the BBC and their program in many different ways without the infamous detector van having any idea I have done so.

And only today they are talking about the roll out of 5G in the next few years, making on the move streaming / download far faster than even current home broadband speeds. Long gone are the days when we all crowd around the wireless or the moving picture box in one physical location.

Furthermore, it is already possible to find HD tv shows online within 5 mins of broadcast...in far better quality than say iPlayer. Where do you think we will be in just 2-3 years, let alone another 10.

This quaint idea that we all stump up £150 for a 3-4 unscrambled channels in the multi-channel, multi-platform tv and movie on-demand world is something out of last century.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

FalseFlag said:

Dair said:

We can go back in time and have the French fleet outside Yorktown scattered by a freak storm :)
  • Options
    I see why the BBC are going big on Jimmy Saville in the NHS now...it appears that the same report that is wittering about the BBC Trust has also given them a massive kicking about their own failures over Saville, pay-outs and a host of other things....quick over there Saville, NHS,
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @FrancisUrquhart
    Oddly enough, Saville and his like speak to one of the problems that haunts the UK, and possibly most other countries.
    The inability of those involved to stand up and say "no".
    It can only be done if people trust those around them, while the "State" prefers what it calls "individualism" but is really making sure that trust never gets to grow.
  • Options
    Afghanistan have a good chance of beating Scotland in the cricket.That is after they weren't that far off really upsetting the apple cart in the last match against Sri Lanka. Quite incredible really given the situation in the country and basically no cricket pedigree.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Tim_B said:

I actually look at it just from the reality of the technology side of things. This report says no change for another 10+ years, because it isn't possible. What utter BS. I already can watch the BBC and their program in many different ways without the infamous detector van having any idea I have done so.

And only today they are talking about the roll out of 5G in the next few years, making on the move streaming / download far faster than even current home broadband speeds. Long gone are the days when we all crowd around the wireless or the moving picture box in one physical location.

Furthermore, it is already possible to find HD tv shows online within 5 mins of broadcast...in far better quality than say iPlayer. Where do you think we will be in just 2-3 years, let alone another 10.

This quaint idea that we all stump up £150 for a 3-4 unscrambled channels in the multi-channel, multi-platform tv and movie on-demand world is something out of last century.
    That rather sounds as if you agree with me......

Do they still have those detector vans?
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Tim_B said:

GeoffM said:

FalseFlag said:

Dair said:

We can go back in time and have the French fleet outside Yorktown scattered by a freak storm :)
    I'm experiencing a freak storm this evening and overnight :(
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021

GeoffM said:

FalseFlag said:

Dair said:

*grabs lapel*
    I love democracy, I love the Commonwealth....
  • Options
    RobD said:

GeoffM said:

FalseFlag said:

Dair said:

*grabs lapel*
    Well, they do play cricket...
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

GeoffM said:

FalseFlag said:

Dair said:

*grabs lapel*
    Quite right ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

GeoffM said:

FalseFlag said:

Dair said:

*grabs lapel*
    Quite right ;)
    So it's a combination of "Casey at the bat" and "Play up, Play up, and play the game."
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

GeoffM said:

FalseFlag said:

Dair said:

*grabs lapel*
    Quite right ;)
    So it's a combination of "Casey at the bat" and "Play up, Play up, and play the game."
    The Commonwealth? More of the latter, surely ;)
  • Options
    New thread!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,177
    SeanT said:

Dair said:

Ishmael_X said:

No, other way round.

'Oats. A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.' Sam Johnson, Dictionary

You are wrong quite a lot, aren't you?

I think that was a joke.

There's probably not a Scot alive with a reading age above 12 who isn't aware of the good doctor's definition.
    The culture and knowledge of Scotland seems quite alien and unknown to the man on the Clapham Omnibus.

While we know about the Clapham Omnibus.
    Scotland is an ancient, beautiful but historically peripheral nation of 5 million people. England is a great country of 55 million people which has changed the world in myriad ways, and given the planet its first true global language, as well as the Industrial Revolution, the Beatles. Shakespeare, the internet, and the ICE TWINS, by S K Tremayne.

It is unsurprising that English awareness of Scotland is trivial compared to Scottish awareness of England. You are, culturally, a mouse in bed with an elephant. Like Canada and America.

I can see why this drives many Scots to support independence, yet, paradoxically, I doubt independence would change much. See the way Ireland is dominated by British culture and media, even now.
    This would win "Bollox post of the Year " by a country mile. Pure drivel written by a deluded halfwit.
This discussion has been closed.