Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on MPs with 2 jobs

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,165
    Are some Labour MPs so annoyed at other MPs earning lots of money because they are incapable of earning such high wages? It would explain a lot... ;-)

It seems there are two things they are pretending to be worried about: undue influence and earnings (the 'it should be a full time job' line).

If 'undue influence', then would that also apply if the wife held a directorship with a company? Or a child? And why would union-sponsored MPs not be covered under this?

If earnings, then why should it bother others as long as the MP also represent their constituents? After all, it is easily possible not to represent your constituents (ref Stuart Bell RIP) and still be an MP.

Let it all be open, and let the constituents decide if the MP is working hard enough for them.

We need better people in parliament, and such restrictions will only get more Eds and Daves.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Am I allowed a little smugness? It's very rare for my to blow my own trombone, but perhaps you will forgive me this one time?

Smug away.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited February 2015
    MPs reject Labour's call for a ban on second jobs

REAKING NEWS:Labour bid to ban MPs holding paid directorships or consultancies defeated in Commons by a government majority of 68

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31624695
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Am I allowed a little smugness? It's very rare for my to blow my own trombone, but perhaps you will forgive me this one time?

I very rarely blow my own trombone

Classic!!!!!! LOL
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,185
    SeanT said:

Our gratitude will be exceeded only by that of the Greeks towards the Germans.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Photo op in Soho for Ed Miliband...

• Options
    Josias - of course - is right.

If people don't like their local MP moonlighting as a taxi driver, a novelist, or a lawyer, they can always vote for someone else.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Neat twitter fact (I have no idea whether it's true, but what the hell):

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers · 1m1 minute ago
    1/50 adult Scots has joined SNP since referendum. Party has more members than British army has soldiers. @alexmassie in @spectator #GE2015

Shit, that probably means invasion is out of the question.

You can join the SNP for precisely £1

Bit economical there Mike, minimum is £1 per month , perhaps you were thinking of Scottish Labour offer recently.
    £5 to join SLAB
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

you forget the £175K averag eexpenses for your wife and family and paper clips etc. Rifkind charge for paper clips , 5p , 5p and 8p. They are extremely well rewarded and are unlikely to need to touch their salary given the generous unlimited expenses.

Yes: but charging paperclips doesn't pay the gas bill or for your bottle of Chateau Thames Embankment.

Take me or Richard Tyndall or any number of PBers. We have our own small businesses. Would the businesses survive our absence for 5 years?

So, if we were to decide to enter politics, and take a pay cut, we also have to factor in that our businesses probably won't be around on the far side of it. (Especially if 'outside interests' were severely proscribed.
    Absolutely, as I mentioned last time someone suggested I stand for Parliament, apart from my dislike of politicians as a breed and some dubious bits of my past that I would rather were not in the public eye, I simply couldn't afford to be an MP.
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited February 2015
    Perhaps if it wasn't so unacceptable within the Labour Party to have 2nd jobs (and Labour did not encourage a culture of bullying and intimidation) then perhaps not so many of their MPs would have ended up in jail for fiddling their expenses?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Poor Tim is losing his mind on twitter over Osborne's announcement. Politicos are getting all sorts of tweets fired at them.

Link?
    https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/with_replies

A sharp corrective to nostalgia.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,931
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Smug away.
    Thankyou.

THE ICE TWINS, written by my creepily identical twin sister, has just come out in Dutch translation.

As of this moment it stands at number 5 in the iTunes Dutch book charts, and ALSO at number 1.

Number 5 is the English version, number 1 is the Dutch version.

http://www.appannie.com/books/ibooks-store/top/netherlands/overall/

I was also Googling my Dutch translation last night, and discovered that the influential Dutch TV panel show, DWDD (broadcast on the Dutch equivalent of BBC1 - i.e. the most popular channel) chose it as one of their "four books of the month" (they have a regular feature when they get booksellers and publishers on the show to select four hot titles).

http://www.tzum.info/2015/02/nieuws-dwdd-boekenpanel-kiest-stadium-iv-van-sander-kollaard-als-beste-boek-van-februari/

It's very nice that they chose ICE TWINS, of course, and that they all think it gripping and twisty. But the most amusing/gratifying bit is about 5 minutes into the show when they speculate as to who is the mysterious and pseudonymous author of De Ijstweeling. The consensus is that it is Julian Barnes or J K Rowling. Or maybe Ian McEwan.
    Are you expecting Hollywood to come knocking?

• Options

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

you forget the £175K averag eexpenses for your wife and family and paper clips etc. Rifkind charge for paper clips , 5p , 5p and 8p. They are extremely well rewarded and are unlikely to need to touch their salary given the generous unlimited expenses.

Yes: but charging paperclips doesn't pay the gas bill or for your bottle of Chateau Thames Embankment.

Take me or Richard Tyndall or any number of PBers. We have our own small businesses. Would the businesses survive our absence for 5 years?

So, if we were to decide to enter politics, and take a pay cut, we also have to factor in that our businesses probably won't be around on the far side of it. (Especially if 'outside interests' were severely proscribed.
    Absolutely, as I mentioned last time someone suggested I stand for Parliament, apart from my dislike of politicians as a breed and some dubious bits of my past that I would rather were not in the public eye, I simply couldn't afford to be an MP.
    Yeah, but think of the free paperclips.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Are some Labour MPs so annoyed at other MPs earning lots of money because they are incapable of earning such high wages? It would explain a lot... ;-)

It seems there are two things they are pretending to be worried about: undue influence and earnings (the 'it should be a full time job' line).

If 'undue influence', then would that also apply if the wife held a directorship with a company? Or a child? And why would union-sponsored MPs not be covered under this?

If earnings, then why should it bother others as long as the MP also represent their constituents? After all, it is easily possible not to represent your constituents (ref Stuart Bell RIP) and still be an MP.

Let it all be open, and let the constituents decide if the MP is working hard enough for them.

We need better people in parliament, and such restrictions will only get more Eds and Daves.

The Prime Minister manages to squeese in his constituency duties, while running the country. Cant be too hard.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The consensus is that it is Julian Barnes or J K Rowling. Or maybe Ian McEwan.

Oh dear, I was very impressed until I got to that bit.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,175
    SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Smug away.
    Thankyou.

THE ICE TWINS, written by my creepily identical twin sister, has just come out in Dutch translation.

As of this moment it stands at number 5 in the iTunes Dutch book charts, and ALSO at number 1.

I was also Googling my Dutch translation last night, and discovered that the influential Dutch TV panel show, DWDD (broadcast on the Dutch equivalent of BBC1 - i.e. the most popular channel) chose it as one of their "four books of the month" (they have a regular feature when they get booksellers and publishers on the show to select four hot titles).

http://www.tzum.info/2015/02/nieuws-dwdd-boekenpanel-kiest-stadium-iv-van-sander-kollaard-als-beste-boek-van-februari/

It's very nice that they chose ICE TWINS, of course, and that they all think it gripping and twisty. But the most amusing/gratifying bit is about 5 minutes into the show when they speculate as to who is the mysterious and pseudonymous author of De Ijstweeling. The consensus is that it is Julian Barnes or J K Rowling. Or maybe Ian McEwan.

They've knocked. We're about to sign a deal this week (inshallah). A subsidiary of Warner Bros.
    Which one? (My film producer wife just asked - having ordered it from Amazon today....)
  • Options
    Congratulations, SeanT.

I should get your book. From the descriptions, it sounds as though it would form a striking counterpoint to Christopher Priest's "The Prestige" and "The Affirmation", both of which I have read recently.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Smug away.
    Thankyou.

They've knocked. We're about to sign a deal this week (inshallah). A subsidiary of Warner Bros.
    Maybe you should play hard to get and wait for a frenzied multimillion dollar bidding war to break out.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited February 2015
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Not to mention a diamond-crusted pension when you retire.... no need to ever work again if you get a few terms under your belt in say the 50-60 years of age.

Personally I think the pension crisis could be partly addressed by limiting MPs to no more than 10 years in Parliament so that the cushy, squalid, repulsive putrid self-indulgence was at least more spread around a bit!!!

Think how much pension the father of the house or indeed Skinner have banked. Perhaps NPxMP could advise what his revalued pension income for life is for the time he banked just to illustrate that?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957
    malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Dair said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

-
    Dair said:
    » show previous quotes
    You do not know 300 people's inclination to be an MP or 300 people's salary levels.

Seriously, who do you think you will kid with this nonsense?
    -

It is amazing what you emerges over a period of time in normal society if you:

A) care about people and are able to talk to them and maintain friendships
    B)...no, just A)

Yet it is nonsense.

There are plenty of studies which show the average peer group is less than 12 people. The idea anyone on earth has a peer group of 300 is completely ridiculous.
    What rot.

I've worked on projects where I would daily talk, eat, have coffees, meet with at least 50 people of my age group, socio economic background and similar skill set.

I studied at a college where I would on a daily basis work, eat, chat, have a beer with 100 or more people within 3 years of me.

Facebook started in the UK about 6 months before I went to Oxford, and I'm therefore still decently in touch with just about anyone I ever had a meaningful conversation with whilst there. Add in linkedin and I have a decent idea of what they're earning...

mince
    Eh?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Dair said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

-
    Dair said:
    » show previous quotes
    You do not know 300 people's inclination to be an MP or 300 people's salary levels.

-

B)...no, just A)

Yet it is nonsense.

There are plenty of studies which show the average peer group is less than 12 people. The idea anyone on earth has a peer group of 300 is completely ridiculous.
    What rot.

I've worked on projects where I would daily talk, eat, have coffees, meet with at least 50 people of my age group, socio economic background and similar skill set.

I studied at a college where I would on a daily basis work, eat, chat, have a beer with 100 or more people within 3 years of me.

Facebook started in the UK about 6 months before I went to Oxford, and I'm therefore still decently in touch with just about anyone I ever had a meaningful conversation with whilst there. Add in linkedin and I have a decent idea of what they're earning...

mince
    Eh?
    Scotlandish for "I beg to differ".
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,920
    How odd. A Scottish PPB for the SNP on Channel 4.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,957
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Well said Robert
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Not to mention a diamond-crusted pension when you retire.... no need to ever work again if you get a few terms under your belt in say the 50-60 years of age.

Personally I think the pension crisis could be partly addressed by limiting MPs to no more than 10 years in Parliament so that the cushy, squalid, repulsive self-indulgence was at least more spread around a bit!!!

Think how much pension the father of the house or indeed Skinner have banked. Perhaps NPxMP could advise what his revalued pension income for life is for the time he banked just to illustrate that?
    Spot on. If I had only 10 seconds in power I'd put all politicians on money purchase pensions and see how it changes their world view.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Smug away.
    Thankyou.

Which one? (My film producer wife just asked - having ordered it from Amazon today....)
    Can't say until it's signed. Bad juju. Also probably bad form.

But ta to yr wife!
    Well done anyway. And about bloody time!

I have one of my projects going up on imdb tomorrow. Which is nice. A bit gutted for another to go all the way to Spielberg's number 2 at Dreamworks with a glowing report from underlings there (this will make big money, it's a franchise...blah de blah) only for the number 2 to say she wanted to take the company in a different direction. Arse.

I'm still wondering how much of a contortionist you have to be to blow your own trombone...?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Smug away.
    Thankyou.

But ta to yr wife!
    Make sure you max out your pension contributions then before the politicians get rid of your higher rate tax relief or cap you to buttons! [or at least take advice on whether to!!]
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Smug away.
    Thankyou.

Maybe you should play hard to get and wait for a frenzied multimillion dollar bidding war to break out.
    To hell with the bush. As it were.
    I'm guessing that's a first....

• Options
    edited February 2015
    welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Personally I think the pension crisis could be partly addressed by limiting MPs to no more than 10 years in Parliament so that the cushy, squalid, repulsive self-indulgence was at least more spread around a bit!!!

Spot on. If I had only 10 seconds in power I'd put all politicians on money purchase pensions and see how it changes their world view.
    I think the reds might take more interest in the stockmarket for a start!!!

After the Telegraph expenses, I've always wondered why we didn't see tables showing the value of the biggest pension pots the taxpayers was going to be paying to all the MPs. It's no different in that there's a seemingly unwritten agreement to keep these benefits out of the limelight as there was with expenses to top up the 'low' salary.
  • Options
    The Dutch can't tell the difference between Julian Barnes Ian McEwan and JK Rowling?

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Smug away.
    Thankyou.

I still think we'd all prefer it if you could write under the pen name Gaylord Poncyboots.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Poor Tim is losing his mind on twitter over Osborne's announcement. Politicos are getting all sorts of tweets fired at them.

It's the perfect storm for a brain driven mad by tax exile and sunstroke.
  • Options
    Come on Berbie!
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Well anything that exposes those with power to the consequences of their actions. Why give a stuff about QE or exchange rates or annuity rates that affect tens of millions of us if you're blissfully immune in your pension ivory tower. I mean how many MP's know that a £20k index linked pension with 50% same age spouse cover is about £650k to buy right now via an annuity? I'd love to know.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Smug away.
    Thankyou.

I

But ta to yr wife!

I
    Quite. Hollywood is ridiculous. You can get a thousand green lights from the CEO down and then, just as they are readying the cameras, they pull the plug.

That's another reason we took this offer from this particular company. They are self financing: they have a biilionaire backer and if they want to make a movie, they can do it, they just need to decide - then hire the director, actors, etc.

But they have a watertight relationship with Warner which guarantees that Warner have to distribute etc.

Out of interest what's yr movie coming out tomorrow? Is that what you mean by going up on IMDB?
    Just the company that developed it wanting to er, blow their own trombone about their projects. They read 125 scripts, took just 2, mine being one. Now fully developed and ready to roll. I'll stick a link up when I get it.

It is an ensemble piece. A classic old-school British comedy drama. But I won't say anything more yet..
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Me neither. If I took a career break from medicine I would struggle to get anywhere near the same job afterwards.

Though I am not sure that doing a few Locums during recess would be anywhere as lucrative as supping with big pharma.

The problem is not some MP keeping a hand in at farming, mining or doctoring. They earn money by peddling influence and contacts. Its not what they earn that is a problem, it is what they sell.
  • Options

Come on Berbie!

oops.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    I would just like to thank the EU for increasing the annual cost of me playing golf. It is one of the few sports I enjoy and now I will be forced into paying even more due to them forcing those who use buggies to have insurance. It is expensive enough as it is without them interfering.
  • Options
    http://www.lbc.co.uk/ed-balls-labour-would-roll-out-devolution-105501 following on from the earlier posts, balls says Labour would roll out the Manc nhs model national
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    antifrank said:

1/50 adult Scots has joined SNP since referendum. Party has more members than British army has soldiers. @alexmassie in @spectator #GE2015

It's not true. Since the Referendum only 70,000 Scots have joined the SNP (or slightly more but not 75k yet) as 25,000 were already members.

So it's about 1/60. The total membership is about 1/55 now.

Of course it also means about 1500 members for every single constituency in Scotland. Now that is significant.
  • Options
    Looks like Plod is being really super-efficient to ensure that the Sir Cliff historical claims gets fully investigated. Heaven forbid anyone should suggest this is because their reputation is on the block.

If only they showed such dedication to industrial scale rape occurring on a rather more recent time-line....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Smug away.
    Thankyou.

I

But ta to yr wife!

I have one of my projects going up on imdb tomorrow. Which is nice. A bit gutted for another to go all the way to Spielberg's number 2 at Dreamworks with a glowing report from underlings there (this will make big money, it's a franchise...blah de blah) only for the number 2 to say she wanted to take the company in a different direction. Arse.

I'm still wondering how much of a contortionist you have to be to blow your own trombone...?
    Quite. Hollywood is ridiculous. You can get a thousand green lights from the CEO down and then, just as they are readying the cameras, they pull the plug.

That's another reason we took this offer from this particular company. They are self financing: they have a biilionaire backer and if they want to make a movie, they can do it, they just need to decide - then hire the director, actors, etc.

But they have a watertight relationship with Warner which guarantees that Warner have to distribute etc.

Out of interest what's yr movie coming out tomorrow? Is that what you mean by going up on IMDB?
    Billionaire and sidekick? Good luck - they're seriously tough operators.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

antifrank said:

Historically Scots have been about 20% of the British Army, so you really only have 54k. Maybe you could take over Chelmsford.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    SeanT said:

antifrank said:

Congratulations, SeanT.

I should get your book. From the descriptions, it sounds as though it would form a striking counterpoint to Christopher Priest's "The Prestige" and "The Affirmation", both of which I have read recently.

Ta. You might enjoy it. Some people love it, almost embarrassingly so. Others don't, clearly.

I think this girl liked it, on Twitter - she just finished it:

@CasIsMyAngel_ 2h2 hours ago
    Just finished reading #TheIceTwins...I'm actually crying silently. The ending was so beautifully chilling - amazing. Ugh my heart hurts.

I'll stop now. Maybe.
    The reviews on Goodreads look very positive. I should get it.

Does it have anything like the Swedish boiling scene in it?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Smug away.
    Thankyou.

I

But ta to yr wife!

I

Just the company that developed it wanting to er, blow their own trombone about their projects. They read 125 scripts, took just 2, mine being one. Now fully developed and ready to roll. I'll stick a link up when I get it.

It is an ensemble piece. A classic old-school British comedy drama. But I won't say anything more yet..
    Yes, always best to be super-cautious, for reasons we both know.

I remember spending a very drunken evening with the genius writer-director of Withnail and I, Bruce Robinson. I was about 23, and with a friend, and we turned up on Robinson's doorstep in Wimbledon - unheralded - to say how much we adored his movie - and he very generously found it amusing, and took us out for a curry and got us totally pissed. Classic evening.

But something he said chilled me, which was that he'd written ten scripts for Hollywood that were commissioned but never made. Ten. Or more.

It's like Shakespeare writing ten plays from Romeo and Juliet to King Lear and none of them ever appearing in the theatre.

Hollywood devours talent, and regurgitates about a tenth of it, in movie form.
    It could have been worse. They could have brought on another team of writers to add much more comedy into King Lear.....
  • Options

Naughty.
  • Options

antifrank said:

That was Labour in January, now £5.

Minimum cost of SNP membership is £12.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 16m16 minutes ago Lewisham, London
    Just had to ask Mrs H who Ed Sheeran is. I'm not even middle-aged any more...

Dan loves Ed

EICIPM (Ed isnt crap is perfect musician?)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Me neither. If I took a career break from medicine I would struggle to get anywhere near the same job afterwards.

Though I am not sure that doing a few Locums during recess would be anywhere as lucrative as supping with big pharma.

The problem is not some MP keeping a hand in at farming, mining or doctoring. They earn money by peddling influence and contacts. Its not what they earn that is a problem, it is what they sell.
    "Me neither. If I took a career break from medicine I would struggle to get anywhere near the same job afterwards."

Why chase the money? Take a career break, enjoy yourself, let your family (if you have one) enjoy yourselves, and see where life takes you. You are, by all accounts intelligent (you are a doctor), and both interested and interesting (you post on PB) - you could do lots of things.

It's the way I've led my life (both through choice and accident), and although I'll never be rich, I'm comfortable and happy.

As an uncle once said to a gf of mine: "Money doesn't buy you happiness, but it does buy a better form of miserable."
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Dair said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

-
    Dair said:
    » show previous quotes

-

B)...no, just A)

Yet it is nonsense.

What rot.

mince
    With or without Turnips?

LOL, tatties and turnip
    They think turnips are small tasteless white things not tasty yellow things. As they say, the English consider food what the Scots would only feed to horses.
  • Options

http://www.lbc.co.uk/ed-balls-labour-would-roll-out-devolution-105501 following on from the earlier posts, balls says Labour would roll out the Manc nhs model national

If that becomes Lab policy I would not vote Labour
  • Options

Naughty.
    ???
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited February 2015

Who would you vote for? The NHA Party?
  • Options
    Dair said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Dair said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

-
    Dair said:
    » show previous quotes

-

B)...no, just A)

Yet it is nonsense.

What rot.

mince
    With or without Turnips?

LOL, tatties and turnip
    They think turnips are small tasteless white things not tasty yellow things. As they say, the English consider food what the Scots would only feed to horses.
    No, other way round.

'Oats. A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.' Sam Johnson, Dictionary

You are wrong quite a lot, aren't you?
  • Options

Yes if they were standing
  • Options
    The FT reckon that George Osborne may have money to give away in the budget:

http://on.ft.com/1A6Pqpf
  • Options

Not UKIP and their insurance based solution?
  • Options
    If my writing has shown me anything, it is that I have a great criminal mind. I have devised an original heist-within-a-heist that readers think really works.

If only I had started earlier in life down this road, I could by now have my own volcano island base with invisible helicopters and a Maglev train and everything. Henchmen too. I've always wanted henchmen.

I blame the careers service at school for not developing my skills....
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Marquee

"Hollywood devours talent, and regurgitates about a tenth of it, in movie form"

My next door neighbour makes a film about once every two years. Writes (usually) and directs. They never make money but she gets together an A list cast-Robert De Niro Kathy Bates Geraldine Chaplin Harvey Keitel etc- and they come along as regular as clockwork.

Though a very good friend the one question I don't ask is how she gets so much backing when she keeps making lemons. Other friends can't get their scripts made for love nor money. It's a trick but I don't know what it is.
  • Options

Mr Scrap methinks you jest
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    GO BERBIE!!! #coyexs
  • Options
    Roger said:

Marquee

My next door neighbour makes a film about once every two years. Writes (usually) and directs. They never make money but she gets together an A list cast-Robert De Niro Kathy Bates Geraldine Chaplin Harvey Keitel etc- and they come along as regular as clockwork.

Though a very good friend the one question I don't ask is how she gets so much backing when she keeps making lemons. Other friends can't get their scripts made for love nor money. It's a trick but I don't know what it is.

Hollywood devours a pavlova on my TV
  • Options

Methinks you are right.
  • Options
    Is it time to mention that Spurs have reached more CL quarter finals or beyond than Arsenal have in the last 5 years?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Smug away.
    Thankyou.

That was the alternative, if the book goes gangbusters in America then we could have an auction and I'd make millions.

However this was a good offer with a very generous purchase price, from a company that buy few books, but does actually make the ones it buys. And I want to see this movie made.

Also I figured if the book goes mad in America I'll make loads anyway, and this company will be able to attract real talent to the movie, which will be watched by all the readers and more, generating more sales.

Whereas if the book tanks in America, and we'd turned this deal down, I'd have no movie deal at all.

it was a fine call, but I went for the bird in the hand. To hell with the bush. As it were.
    But did you keep the merchandising rights?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,931
    SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Smug away.
    Thankyou.

WOW! Congrats. :D

• Options
    Roger said:

Marquee

Film financing is a very black art...
  • Options

Methinks you are right.
    I think we could persuade Mr Owls to vote for our Fiscally Dry But Not Obsessed With Europe or The Gays New Tory Party
  • Options
    Is Oliver Giroud the new Bobby Sol?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

"Me neither. If I took a career break from medicine I would struggle to get anywhere near the same job afterwards."

Why chase the money? Take a career break, enjoy yourself, let your family (if you have one) enjoy yourselves, and see where life takes you. You are, by all accounts intelligent (you are a doctor), and both interested and interesting (you post on PB) - you could do lots of things.

It's the way I've led my life (both through choice and accident), and although I'll never be rich, I'm comfortable and happy.

As an uncle once said to a gf of mine: "Money doesn't buy you happiness, but it does buy a better form of miserable."
    While I am certainly well paid, between my NHS salary and my modest private practice. I actually love my job and it is great to be a Consultant in my Hospital. I get to teach enthusiastic and Idealistic youngsters, shape vital services locally, I have both scientific and human interest in my patients, many of whom I have built friendships with and I have interesting and varied colleagues who are both supportive and challenging. I get plenty of office politics too.

Why would I want to be an MP instead? Particularly as an LD it would be a short career!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021

Methinks you are right.
    I think we could persuade Mr Owls to vote for our Fiscally Dry But Not Obsessed With Europe or The Gays New Tory Party
    Or FDBNOWEOTGNTP, for short.
  • Options

welshowl said:

After the Telegraph expenses, I've always wondered why we didn't see tables showing the value of the biggest pension pots the taxpayers was going to be paying to all the MPs. It's no different in that there's a seemingly unwritten agreement to keep these benefits out of the limelight as there was with expenses to top up the 'low' salary.
    While the Dow generally bounces back from the most severe setback within a year, the FTSE has only just reached DotCom levels (i.e. 2000). Meanwhile the pensions "industry" ponzi scheme continues to have the highest fixed annual charges in the world.

All at the behest of parliament whose politicians are isolated from such effects and who can look forward to lucrative board positions with the pension companies when they leave the commons.

Welshowl really hits the nail on the head. If politicians were on Defined Contribution schemes, the pension industry would change. If the public sector was on Defined Contribution there would be riots (and the police would be part of those rioting).
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Ah, Mr TSE, I've been expecting you. He's had a Postiga.

I fear Mr Owls may not like my negativity to Public Sector DB pensions... I realise it's too soon to say what will be in our manifesto however regarding that area.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249
    FPT - left by @Morris Dancer:-

"Austria bans foreign funding for imams and mosques:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31629543"

I suggested this shortly after the Charlie Hebdo murders. The idea that schools here should have funding from Saudi Arabia, a country which has just sentenced a man to death for renouncing Islam, is quite abhorrent to me. It is little surprise that so many Muslims here think that Islam is incompatible with Western liberal democracy if they are being taught that sort of malevolent rubbish.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

No, other way round.

'Oats. A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people.' Sam Johnson, Dictionary

I think that was a joke.

There's probably not a Scot alive with a reading age above 12 who isn't aware of the good doctor's definition.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

Well anything that exposes those with power to the consequences of their actions. Why give a stuff about QE or exchange rates or annuity rates that affect tens of millions of us if you're blissfully immune in your pension ivory tower. I mean how many MP's know that a £20k index linked pension with 50% same age spouse cover is about £650k to buy right now via an annuity? I'd love to know.
    That's meaningless. When you tell them it would cost about £800 per month from the age of 30 to 65 to get a pension of £20k on Defined Contribution then you see them start to understand how shocking UK pensions are.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,543
    Anecdote alert: My sister-in-law has just phoned my wife in a gloomy mood because she doesn't know who to vote for. She normally votes Labour, but was going to vote Green because she can't bring herself to vote for Ed Miliband. But since yesterday's debacle she can't vote Green. She's never voted Tory, and can't bring herself to do so, although she can't understand why people dislike them as much as they do, though she knows why she dislikes them. Unfortunately, I can't bring you any further insight as I've had to leave the room as the alternatives were either sitting mute while politics was discussed in a semi-informed manner or butting in repeatedly, which would have neither won friends nor changed minds.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,670
    edited February 2015

I fear Mr Owls may not like my negativity to Public Sector DB pensions... I realise it's too soon to say what will be in our manifesto however regarding that area.

We will fund the most generous pensions in the world by making

1) All Commonwealth Nations pay us an annual tribute of 15% of their GDP

2) Any country that has ever been part of the empire has to pay us an annual tribute of 10% of their GDP

3) Any country we've ever been at war with, has to pay us an annual tribute of 25% of their GDP

4) France is excluded from 3) as we enforce the Treaty of Troyes and we take 100% of their GDP
  • Options

While I am certainly well paid, between my NHS salary and my modest private practice. I actually love my job and it is great to be a Consultant in my Hospital. I get to teach enthusiastic and Idealistic youngsters, shape vital services locally, I have both scientific and human interest in my patients, many of whom I have built friendships with and I have interesting and varied colleagues who are both supportive and challenging. I get plenty of office politics too.

Why would I want to be an MP instead? Particularly as an LD it would be a short career!
    I wasn't just referring to being an MP, and I'm really glad you enjoy your job. but are you sure you wouldn't enjoy something else more?

Too many people chase money IMHO, and too many people waste their lives in jealousy of those who are rich.

This came out in a conversation yesterday, when a few people seemed more concerned about their children's earning power than their health or happiness.
  • Options
    Dair said:

welshowl said:

While the Dow generally bounces back from the most severe setback within a year, the FTSE has only just reached DotCom levels (i.e. 2000). Meanwhile the pensions "industry" ponzi scheme continues to have the highest fixed annual charges in the world.

All at the behest of parliament whose politicians are isolated from such effects and who can look forward to lucrative board positions with the pension companies when they leave the commons.

Welshowl really hits the nail on the head. If politicians were on Defined Contribution schemes, the pension industry would change. If the public sector was on Defined Contribution there would be riots (and the police would be part of those rioting).
    As dividends make up a much higher part of the FTSE 100 the better compator is total return rather than stock prices.

• Options
    Off-topic:

Have just learnt that the BBC have remade Poldark.

If they do as bad a job as they did with Jamaica Inn, there'll be violence.

(My favourite book is Winston Graham's 'Marnie', which Hitchcock made into an uncharacteristically hideous film. Hitchcock's dead. Just sayin'). ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2015

2) Any country that has ever been part of the empire has to pay us an annual tribute of 10% of their GDP

3) Any country we've ever been at war with, has to pay us an annual tribute of 25% of their GDP

4) France is excluded from 3) as we enforce the Treaty of Troyes and we take 100% of their GDP
    The way Ed's hero is going in France, we can probably do without the funds from part 4.

Actually we could lease them George O as their economics minister of state for £10bn a year. Cheap as chips that and a nice second job for HMG.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    MM

"Film financing is a very black art..."

A touch of luck helps.....after 911 Tony Blair quoted a line from Bridge Of St Luis Rey in New York which touched a nerve and reminded Americans of the little classic by Thornton Wilder which then became a best seller and who just happened to be touting the film script at that precise moment........

I think it's all to do with Catholicism!
  • Options

Methinks you are right.
    Are you perchance a betting man.

I do not like the sound of this dryness I have to say
  • Options

That sounds reasonable, so long as you PROMISE to continue to ring-fence the foreign aid budget.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

antifrank said:

You could join SLab for £1 too. How's their membership number doing?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

antifrank said:

Bit economical there Mike, minimum is £1 per month , perhaps you were thinking of Scottish Labour offer recently.
    £5 to join SLAB
    They had a £1 promo.
  • Options
    Rob D is a member of our party isn't he? I think he was signed up without even having to agree, we're that helpful to prospective members.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Dair said:

welshowl said:

Neil has assured me that defined contribution pensions are too expensive for the public sector.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Ishmael_X said:

Dair said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Mortimer said:

Dair said:

Mortimer said:

FPT

-
    Dair said:
    » show previous quotes

-

B)...no, just A)

Yet it is nonsense.

What rot.

mince
    With or without Turnips?

LOL, tatties and turnip
    No, other way round.

I was well aware of the reference. The fact remains, in England you eat white turnips whereas they are animal feed in most civilised nations.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Grim thought. Ed Balls doing a 'Mellor' in his Norwich City kit.
  • Options

Is Oliver Giroud the new Bobby Sol?

OGICINBS or PM
  • Options

Rob D is a member of our party isn't he? I think he was signed up without even having to agree, we're that helpful to prospective members.

He is, he liked the fact we weren't obsessed by Europe or the Gays, and our patrons would be Ken Clarke and Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Two different people today have urged me to stand as the Directly Elected Mayor of Manchester.

That could be an awesome first victory for our party.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

He is, he liked the fact we weren't obsessed by Europe or the Gays, and our patrons would be Ken Clarke and Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Two different people today have urged me to stand as the Directly Elected Mayor of Manchester.

That could be an awesome first victory for our party.

Two of my favourite Tories as you may know.

I could stand here against Bercow too and have a clear run against him, the kippers are few and far between of course as Farage so spectacularly proved?

Naturally in a similar way to Carswell/Farage, should I win and be our first MP then I wouldn't expect to be party leader.
  • Options

(My favourite book is Winston Graham's 'Marnie', which Hitchcock made into an uncharacteristically hideous film. Hitchcock's dead. Just sayin'). ;-)

Marnie makes me think of Geordie Shore.

• Options

Ishmael_X said:

No, other way round.

I think that was a joke.

There's probably not a Scot alive with a reading age above 12 who isn't aware of the good doctor's definition.
    The culture and knowledge of Scotland seems quite alien and unknown to the man on the Clapham Omnibus.

While we know about the Clapham Omnibus.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

You have been hanging out with drunken people again?

TSE is DEMOM

Surely it should be Nantwich
  • Options

I wasn't just referring to being an MP, and I'm really glad you enjoy your job. but are you sure you wouldn't enjoy something else more?

Too many people chase money IMHO, and too many people waste their lives in jealousy of those who are rich.

This came out in a conversation yesterday, when a few people seemed more concerned about their children's earning power than their health or happiness.
    Who knows whether I would have enjoyed another job as much? I have just worked hard and taken opportunities as they have arisen. I have had career disappointments, but have always moved on to other opportunities without looking back.

It may be my Scots/Ulster Presbyterianism showing but as far as I can see pretty much all job satisfaction comes from what you put in, not what you get out. Youngsters with a "Can't be Arsed" attitude will neither be happy or well paid.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,670
    edited February 2015
    Dair said:

Ishmael_X said:

No, other way round.

I think that was a joke.

The culture and knowledge of Scotland seems quite alien and unknown to the man on the Clapham Omnibus.

While we know about the Clapham Omnibus.
    If you want to know more, can I suggest you spend a few hours on Clapham Common.

*Innocent Face*
  • Options

Marnie makes me think of Geordie Shore.

I've never watched Geordie Shore: I'm guessing I've not missed much. What's the connection?
This discussion has been closed.