Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Telegraph’s big political news..about Jack Straw and Si

13»

Comments

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Charles said:

RobD said:

hucks67 said:

Cameron says that a Tory government would protect pensioners benefits, because they always vote and are more Tory that younger generations. What a surprise ! I thought we were all in this together.

Agreed, a bit silly that there isn't a means test on the free TV license and winter fuel allowance.
    Far too complicated and intrusive.

Just make it taxable income.

(Actually I'd rather just abolish it and roll it up into the annual state pension, but whatever)
    Well, I’m a fairly comfortably-off pensioner; not rich by any means but I pay around a grand in tax per year. I would have no objection to having my winter fuel allowance included in my taxable income and while it was nice when I didn’t have to pay the TV licence fee any more I wouldn’t object to that being included in my coding.
    I use my bus pass quite a lot and if there was a charge of (say) £10 for renewing it, I’d have no objection but I can see the consequent administration problems with both collection and exemptions for those who aren’t as well off. Same with prescription charges.

Actually Cameron’s shameless attempts at buying my vote make me even less inclined to vote Tory. Not that that was at all likely, anyway!
    It was Brown and Labour who introduced bus passes and then shamelessly extended them to cover the whole country, not just your own LA.
  • Options

Meanwhile it's 3 poll monday again.... how many, if any, Tory leads today?

I'll aim low and guess 6.

Could be four poll Monday, we could get the ComRes phone poll today.
    cool - so a bit more chance my prediction comes in then...
    Are you going to the final on Sunday?
    Nope - I'm banned as being a jinx on the club whenever I go. I'm barely allowed to support them.
  • Options

Nope - I'm banned as being a jinx on the club whenever I go. I'm barely allowed to support them.
    Poor you, I'll be backing your boys.
  • Options

Poor you, I'll be backing your boys.
    It's the hope that...
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@NickPalmer

'researching every Bill you'll vote on (or you're "voting blindly according to the whips"),'

In the 13 years you were an MP how many times did you vote against the whips?

I do not think that is the point of what Mr Palmer is saying. I think he is suggesting that is what the public think they 'ought' to be doing. Plus he used the word 'blindly'. An MP may well have an interest and spend time pursuing that with a view to speaking responsibly on it. An MP in a car manufacturing area might well be more than happy to promote that industry. An MP working hard to get re elected of course is not necessarily the same as an MP working in the national interest if he ignores wider issues and/or votes for narrow selfish local issues at the expense of a justified wider picture.

Whatever the precise rules on lobbying are then an MP should follow them. If they are allowed to be paid they should disclose it.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,335
    edited February 2015
    Populus ‏@PopulusPolls 1 min1 minute ago

Latest Populus VI: Lab 32 (-), Con 32 (+1), LD 9 (-), UKIP 15 (-2), Others 12 (-). Tables here http://popu.lu/sVI230215
  • Options
    @PopulusPolls: Latest Populus VI: Lab 32 (-), Con 32 (+1), LD 9 (-), UKIP 15 (-2), Others 12 (-). Tables here http://t.co/NTO3gAXHIN
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

@PopulusPolls: Latest Populus VI: Lab 32 (-), Con 32 (+1), LD 9 (-), UKIP 15 (-2), Others 12 (-). Tables here http://t.co/NTO3gAXHIN

Broken, sleazy Tories err no, UKIP on the slide.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@FrancisUrquhart

'Oh jeez, its seems Cameron has said he will continue to protect all the pensioner bribes that Gordo gave out...bloody free TV licenses should be the first to go.'

Hopefully he'll pass the cost of the free TV licenses to the BBC..

You have to be over 75 to get a free TV licence.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064

It's simply an result of under paying MPs. You can't have a decent lifestyle in the south east on 69k.

For a lot of mps, it's a part time job, esp if you have an affluent electorate. Of course they are going to try and get paid elsewhere.

I don't see much wrong with anything reported in the telegraph

Plus expenses. That's about 3 times the median salary.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

It's simply an result of under paying MPs. You can't have a decent lifestyle in the south east on 69k.

For a lot of mps, it's a part time job, esp if you have an affluent electorate. Of course they are going to try and get paid elsewhere.

Quite - another sad episode in the politics of envy. Telegraph lashing out after their hammering last week.
  • Options

It's simple. If MP's don't like the pay and expenses, they should Foxtrot Oscar, and let someone else represent the constituency.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

It's simple. If MP's don't like the pay and expenses, they should Foxtrot Oscar, and let someone else represent the constituency.
    Yay then we will be left with a bunch of union reps and common purpose mongs.
  • Options
    What we actually have is the telegraph busy covering up its own 'cover up the story in return for adverts scandal'.
    Allegedly.

What must please and comfort us all is the proper professional way the media go about these things by providing full unedited transcripts of what was actually said. :-)
  • Options

Hamilton was a government minister when he was a Tory and isn't even a councillor or parliamentary candidate now he's UKIP.

That's a ridiculous point. He's Deputy Chairman and number 5 in UKIP's own list of 'key people'.

http://www.ukip.org/people_key

What's more, in contrast to the Conservatives, they appointed him in full knowledge of the sleaze.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064
    Roger said:

I have to say I despise this sort of journalism whether it's channel 4 stitching up a few politicians or one of Murdoch's rubbish journals doing a kiss and tell. Why we don't have laws against agent provocateurs I don't know.

You think people should be stopped from kiss and tells? Presumably you'd be on the side of the 'family man' politician who likes everyone to know how much he loves his wife getting an injunction against his mistress revealing a very different story. French-style privacy laws?
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,913
    I wrote yesterday that an MP who I know said he was helping a constituent with a problem when this constituent said the trouble with MP's is you never get to see them to which he replied "I'm sitting here in your kitchen!"

After I read this mornings expose it occurred to me....I wonder how many Tory MP's would visit a constituent living in a tenement block to help them with a problem? Being an MP seems to be whatever you want it to be
  • Options

Plus expenses. That's about 3 times the median salary.
    I do not see what expenses have to do with it.
    Outside of London MPs have to live and work in their constituencies and travel significant distances to Westminster and stay there for part of the time. There original home might be somewhere totally different again. Shock horror it costs money to run a democracy. Ignoring the previous scandals, there should be no current profit in an expense.

As for 'free time' if you are a Scottish or Welsh MP then you receive significant pay and expenses for doing the square root of bugger all. Most of what an MP might be responsible for is carried out by the devolved parliament. There is absolutely no point berating a Welsh MP for the state of the Welsh NHS.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,377

john_zims said:

@NickPalmer

'researching every Bill you'll vote on (or you're "voting blindly according to the whips"),'

I do not think that is the point of what Mr Palmer is saying. I think he is suggesting that is what the public think they 'ought' to be doing. Plus he used the word 'blindly'. An MP may well have an interest and spend time pursuing that with a view to speaking responsibly on it. An MP in a car manufacturing area might well be more than happy to promote that industry. An MP working hard to get re elected of course is not necessarily the same as an MP working in the national interest if he ignores wider issues and/or votes for narrow selfish local issues at the expense of a justified wider picture.

Whatever the precise rules on lobbying are then an MP should follow them. If they are allowed to be paid they should disclose it.
    Yes, that's right. The answer to John_zims is 35 times, but in practice the point isn't really how often you vote against legislation but how often you influence it. If you don't research a Bill the choice comes down to supporting your party and hoping they've got it right and opposing them because you don't like the general drift of the Bill. Not only the whips but Ministers will regard uninformed opposition with scarely-concealed contempt - the majority goes down from 34 to 32 or whatever, but so what. However, if you say you don't like clause 75 and think it will have undesirable effects, you will get a hearing and have a reasonable shot at getting it altered. To do that, you need to know what you're talking about.

But there are maybe 20 things to vote on every week. Do you have time to study them all? Not really. Do you have so much time that you can do loads of other jobs? No.

I'm not against all outside work. But as Flightpath suggests it's better if it interacts in some positive way by informing your Parliamentary work.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Scott_P said:

@politicshome: SIr Malcolm Rifkind tells the Today programme he will fight the cash for access claims "with all my strength"

Echoes of Jonathan Aitken, Neil Hamilton, Jeffrey Archer and Maria Miller.

Sleezy Tories never learn.

True, what about Labour - or are you not concerned by their actions?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Yay then we will be left with a bunch of union reps and common purpose mongs.
    Would we notice the difference?
  • Options

john_zims said:

@NickPalmer

Yes, that's right. The answer to John_zims is 35 times, but in practice the point isn't really how often you vote against legislation but how often you influence it. If you don't research a Bill the choice comes down to supporting your party and hoping they've got it right and opposing them because you don't like the general drift of the Bill. Not only the whips but Ministers will regard uninformed opposition with scarely-concealed contempt - the majority goes down from 34 to 32 or whatever, but so what. However, if you say you don't like clause 75 and think it will have undesirable effects, you will get a hearing and have a reasonable shot at getting it altered. To do that, you need to know what you're talking about.

But there are maybe 20 things to vote on every week. Do you have time to study them all? Not really. Do you have so much time that you can do loads of other jobs? No.

I'm not against all outside work. But as Flightpath suggests it's better if it interacts in some positive way by informing your Parliamentary work.

And often to learn or understand you will speak to people who are in effect lobbyists. An MP gets paid, or should get paid, not for what he does 9 - 5 but for his judgement.
    That judgement can come from different angles (which is where I use my judgemnt in voting), but leaving aside political differences , the point about government is that for the most part there are often no clear right or wrong choices, only choices.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Probably another good day for the SNP - both Labour and a Tory from Scotland reinforcing the case for making the break from Westminster...

As we all know everything is always good for the SNP ;-)
This discussion has been closed.