Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There could be a swing-back to the incumbent government – t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited February 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » There could be a swing-back to the incumbent government – the yellow bit rather than the blue

One of the great hopes that has kept Tory spirits alive during this difficult person when consistent poll leads seem to elude the party is the well recorded pattern of swing-backs to the government.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Good morning! First!
  • Options
    Mike - it's actually 11 weeks today (not 12) before we wake up to the result of the General Election and only 10 weeks before millions of us will be filling in our postal votes!
  • Options
    A little wishful thinking OGH?

The 2010 Lib Dem vote had a much greater proportion of 'protest' votes - that are long gone.

Of course the other 'swing back' will be in Scotland - to the SNP.......
  • Options

A little wishful thinking OGH?

Understatement of the year! These days I just to skim the purely opinion articles on here and go straight below the line for the conversation.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    Cameron's touring the country telling everyone what "his" government has cone and what the Conservatives will continue to do, Milliband's going round telling everyone what Labour will do, although not, credibly, how they are going to fund it.
    As yet we barely seen either Clegg or indeed any senior LD . Concentrating on holding what they've got is all very well but it''s not an inspiring strategy!
  • Options
    Dream on Mike.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Who cares which part of the glorious coalition it swings back to as long as it does? 5 more wonderful years of Dave and Nick - will there be new mugs ?
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    edited February 2015
    Morning Mike [if I may?]. You're not going to be universally popular for this thread but my punters sorting hat says you're totally right.

Just as I don't expect SNP to do as well as extreme polls so I don't expect LDs to have a cataclysm. Either might happen but they're not form horses and Brits like a bit of form. Unless you're the english cricket team. Dire.

Clegg's telegenic & a good speaker. As you say he's not yet had the chance to be unshackled from the coalition to pitch to his natural supporters.

The more I mull on this election the more I'm pondering that it won't be a HUGE deviation from last time. LDs maybe down to 20-30 at worst, SLAB maybe losing half seats. UKIP will make a splash but probably wind up with a handful of seats tops. Key national battle is same as for the past century - labour vs tories with clear differences between them.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Dream on Mike.

Give me some analysis then.

• Options

Patrick said:

Dream on Mike.

Give me some analysis then.

• Options
    "A big hope for the yellow team is that after five years of being constrained by the coalition it will be pitching on its own behalf with its very specific messages."

Yes, "hope". I'm afraid it's nothing more than that.
  • Options
    "The spread markets at the start of polling day in 2010 crystallise the perceptions then – LAB on 222 seats 35 below what actually happened in the election."

That's an interesting statistic Mike and one of which I was unaware. I suspect that right up to election day in 2010 Labour's seats spread was well below their eventual score of 257.

Although this time I don't have Sporting's precise starting numbers to hand, I suspect that the Tories have already advanced around 12-15 seats against Labour, having been initially quoted around 8-10 seats behind the Red Team approximately two months ago, they are now 3 or 4 seats ahead. This despite there having been virtually no movement between these two parties in the polls, with Labour continuing to hold a small but seemingly tenacious lead.
  • Options

"A big hope for the yellow team is that after five years of being constrained by the coalition it will be pitching on its own behalf with its very specific messages."

The wishful thinking on PB threads is 99% from the Tories just like your comment.

• Options

He's got a point though. Apart from the maverick Cable the LDs have been unbelievably disciplined in coalition. Once parliament's dissolved they can campaign freely. Clegg could make a big virtue of sticking to the coalition deal.

[Isam if you're up what the hell are you on about? Four times what? PM me please as I may not get back on here today. Got to get to work.]
  • Options
    In Vathek, what died last after their descent into hell was hope. The Lib Dems still have hope.

One major problem for the Lib Dems is that there are simply more parties competing for the public's attention. The chances of the Lib Dems capitalising on their airtime are diminished if they have a smaller share of airtime.
  • Options

Applies equally if you substitute Blue for Yellow.
    And backed with a more credible chance of delivery.
  • Options
    Though our host is right to point out that the blue team are far more hopeful than the polling suggests they have any right to be.
  • Options
    The LD 's USP, that they are a good coalition partner, is shot. So the whole point of the LDs has gone.
    The lefties now hate you and aren't coming back.
    The successes of the government are associated with Dave n Ozzy not (however unfairly) with Clegg.
    The LDs are seen as cravenly and unthinkingly supportive of all things European - which given current state of the EU / Euro / Greece just looks nuts.
    Seen as rank liars by some - eg tuition fees promises. Remember the very funny 'I'm sorry' Clegg video song?
    You're assuming that when campaigning starts the LDs can revert to their old 'all things to all men' ways. 5 years in government will make that alot harder. Selling a message to the lefties and to the orange bookers at the same time is going to require major contortionism.
    The Cleggasm is ancient history. In the country he's a joke now. That can't help.

I think the LibDems will drop to a historic low in terms of vote share (8% is my guess) but will retain a surprisingly solid number of seats on the back of that.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Though our host is right to point out that the blue team are far more hopeful than the polling suggests they have any right to be.

Every team is far more hopeful than their polling, you'd imagine.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

antifrank said:

I don't get that impression of Labour.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

GeoffM said:

antifrank said:

I don't get that impression of Labour.
    I think that's right. Labour's in a much better position than it thinks.

• Options
    Mike - out of interest, what were the mid-spreads for the Tories and the LibDems, by comparison with Labour's 222 seats at the start of polling day in 2010. I suspect that at least half of Labour's ultimate 35 seat uplift was at the expense of the LibDems.
  • Options
    Out of interest how have the LibDems done for pork? Is it just Danny Alexander with his cheap petrol and ski lift tax breaks and things, or did everybody get a bypass or a cycle path or something?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    A swingback to the yellows would hurt Labour more than the Tories.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited February 2015
    The LDs certainly have strength beyond their polling numbers. There are >2,000 LD councillors all elected since 2010. Their fundraising seems to be stronger than ever.

But LD support has declined year on year throughout this parliament. The Greens bite deepest into the LDs, and they now have membership (and activists?) to match. Given Green Party supporters profile (half voted LD in 2010) I assume they are strongest in LD seats.

I'm expecting to see LD support decline further rather than recover.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    I think Mike has a point. What is swingback?

Swingback occurs in two stages. In the first stage support bleeds away from a government making difficult or unpopular decisions. In the second stage voters who have bled away come around to the idea that the lot they voted for the last time is, at the very least, better than the alternatives and so they come back to the governing party.

Applying that to the Coalition it has always seemed unlikely to me that the Tories would gain significantly from swingback. The conditions are just not there. Those who voted for them because they at least took the deficit more seriously than the rest have had nowhere else to go and we still don't. So their support has remained remarkably loyal with polling only just dipping into the 20s at the very worst. Conservative to Labour switchers have been almost non existent throughout this Parliament.

The only element of support they have lost is about 5% to UKIP. Some of that may come back in seats where Labour is the enemy on classic swingback theory but the scope for improvement is modest.

The Lib Dems on the other hand have had a complete collapse in support throughout the Coalition. If anything they have more opportunity for swingback than any government in recent memory. Why would this happen? Well, if you are a vaguely lefty voter in the south west you have a binary choice as the election comes around. You either vote Lib Dem or you vote Tory. On the better than the other lot theory some at least will come around. We already see that in the polling.

Of course I do think there are limits on this and the Lib Dems are still in for a doing. But it will not be as bad as it looks at the moment.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    The problem for the LDs is that, more than any other party they are known for breaking pre-election pledges. A meme that harms any added pre-election promises this time around. They are also unwilling to defend the policies of the coalition they supported - giving a message of hypocricy which all their opponents can exploit. I'd be surprised if they get more than 35 seats and it could be less.
  • Options

The wishful thinking on PB threads is 99% from the Tories just like your comment.

You said it yourself in your article Mike. They may recover a little in the campaign, but they may not given the electorate's attention is now split several ways and the Lib Dems NOTA vote is now split several ways. So there is no evidence for it, just hope.

Your own son agrees with my forecast so please leave out the petulant stroppiness every time your analysis is critiqued.
  • Options

"The spread markets at the start of polling day in 2010 crystallise the perceptions then – LAB on 222 seats 35 below what actually happened in the election."

That's an interesting statistic Mike and one of which I was unaware. I suspect that right up to election day in 2010 Labour's seats spread was well below their eventual score of 257.

Although this time I don't have Sporting's precise starting numbers to hand, I suspect that the Tories have already advanced around 12-15 seats against Labour, having been initially quoted around 8-10 seats behind the Red Team approximately two months ago, they are now 3 or 4 seats ahead. This despite there having been virtually no movement between these two parties in the polls, with Labour continuing to hold a small but seemingly tenacious lead.

Morning Peter

My first sell was at 273, which I think was SPIN's opening pitch. So they are up 6, despite zero improvement in the polls, as you indicate.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

The LD 's USP, that they are a good coalition partner, is shot. So the whole point of the LDs has gone.
    The lefties now hate you and aren't coming back.
    The successes of the government are associated with Dave n Ozzy not (however unfairly) with Clegg.
    The LDs are seen as cravenly and unthinkingly supportive of all things European - which given current state of the EU / Euro / Greece just looks nuts.
    Seen as rank liars by some - eg tuition fees promises. Remember the very funny 'I'm sorry' Clegg video song?
    You're assuming that when campaigning starts the LDs can revert to their old 'all things to all men' ways. 5 years in government will make that alot harder. Selling a message to the lefties and to the orange bookers at the same time is going to require major contortionism.
    The Cleggasm is ancient history. In the country he's a joke now. That can't help.

I think the LibDems will drop to a historic low in terms of vote share (8% is my guess) but will retain a surprisingly solid number of seats on the back of that.

Patrick - I believe in the PB.com competition you forecast the LibDems to win 31 seats - a little ahead of the circa 27 seats currently indicated in the betting markets.
    In fact right now it's possible to back the LibDems to win 33 seats or more with Betfair at decimal odds of 4.0 (3.85 net of comm'n). Based on Mike's expressed confidence for the yellows as expressed in this thread header, I feel sure he'll be lumping onto this bet.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited February 2015

But LD support has declined year on year throughout this parliament. The Greens bite deepest into the LDs, and they now have membership (and activists?) to match. Given Green Party supporters profile (half voted LD in 2010) I assume they are strongest in LD seats. I'm expecting to see LD support decline further rather than recover.

I think you are wrong there, Dave. If the Lib Dems have not been campaigning constantly in a seat, their support is more likely to drift away. If, however, they are well organised and campaigning strongly, previous support is more likely to stay with them, I think. So Natalie´s Green Party is unlikely to make much in the way of inroads in LD held seats.

We shall see.....

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125
    GeoffM said:

What a laugh, how can they pitch any message when everyone knows that their word is worth nothing. They will drop any policy or principle to get power and once again become Tory lapdogs. Only a fool would vote Lib Dem after what they have done, unprincipled charlatans.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    One of the biggest problems for the Lib Dems through this Parliament has been the damage done to their Councillor base losing nearly half of the Councillors up for election. I fear that this is going to have a significant impact on their activity on the ground and their classic local campaigning.

This is the main reason I am expecting them to lose nearly 30 seats. That and Scotland of course where their collapse has made the fall in their support in England look like a minor local difficulty.
  • Options

Morning Peter

My first sell was at 273, which I think was SPIN's opening pitch. So they are up 6, despite zero improvement in the polls, as you indicate.
    Yes Peter that sounds about right, but Labour have gone backwards at the same time ...... it was the overall movement between the two parties I was attempting to measure - Mike did quote the opning numbers but I can't readily find these. Perhaps our new friend Mr. Jungle would help.

• Options
    No prizes presumably for guessing where the PB.com gathering on 17 March might be held.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

GeoffM said:

What a laugh, how can they pitch any message when everyone knows that their word is worth nothing. They will drop any policy or principle to get power and become Labour lapdogs. Only a fool would vote SNP after what they have done, unprincipled charlatans.
    Corrected It for you, Malcolm.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    Latest PB Wisdom Poll averages

Similar to Sporting Index Spread

Count 318
    Cons (Avg) 284.69
    Lab (Avg) 280.43
    Lib Dem (Avg) 27.26
    UKIP (Avg) 4.38
    Green (Avg) 1.01
    SNP (Avg) 33.11
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Your own son agrees with my forecast
    I guess that's call argument by appeal to authority!
  • Options

Morning Peter

Yes Peter that sounds about right, but Labour have gone backwards at the same time ...... it was the overall movement between the two parties I was attempting to measure - Mike did quote the opning numbers but I can't readily find these. Perhaps our new friend Mr. Jungle would help.

I also sold Labour when the market opened, at 291. (I was of the view that the two main Parties were too high, but wasn't sure which was most wrong.) I cashed out when that bet moved in to profit.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Your own son agrees with my forecast.
    Kids eh?
  • Options

Latest PB Wisdom Poll averages

Similar to Sporting Index Spread

Count 318
    Cons (Avg) 284.69
    Lab (Avg) 280.43
    Lib Dem (Avg) 27.26
    UKIP (Avg) 4.38
    Green (Avg) 1.01
    SNP (Avg) 33.11

So not too much movement resulting from the two further competition entries overnight! Interesting that the LibDems are shown as winning 27 seats - they and the othere parties all correspond closely with the betting markets.
    Chicken and egg I guess!
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited February 2015
    DavidL said:

... if you are a vaguely lefty voter in the south west you have a binary choice as the election comes around. You either vote Lib Dem or you vote Tory. On the better than the other lot theory some at least will come around. We already see that in the polling.

Of course I do think there are limits on this and the Lib Dems are still in for a doing. But it will not be as bad as it looks at the moment.

In the 2014 EU Parliament elections the LDs placed 5th in the SW region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_West_England_(European_Parliament_constituency)#Election_results
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,125

malcolmg said:

GeoffM said:

What a laugh, how can they pitch any message when everyone knows that their word is worth nothing. They will drop any policy or principle to get power and become Labour lapdogs. Only a fool would vote SNP after what they have done, unprincipled charlatans.
    Corrected It for you, Malcolm.

Very droll John, but given the SNP keep to their promises and being ever more popular after 8 years in government it is a bit erroneous. Lib Dems are about to get their just dues , in Scotland at least.:)
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    DavidL said:

One of the biggest problems for the Lib Dems through this Parliament has been the damage done to their Councillor base losing nearly half of the Councillors up for election. I fear that this is going to have a significant impact on their activity on the ground and their classic local campaigning.

Again I am not convinced, David L. There are councillors and councillors. Some really do work their patch hard, and I think these will tend to hold on, whatever their party allegiance (not always, of course, sadly). On the other hand, the dead wood and the passengers will fall by the wayside, unless there is a good party organisation (nothing to do with them) to keep them in place.

On the basis that the Lib Dem councillors who lost their seats were elected largely on the efforts of others, their loss will not have as great an impact on future campaigning as you seem to imagine.

In the ward where I live, we have a Tory councillor, who does not do campaigning. It is managed for him by the Tory office. Five years ago, the constituency was thought to be a marginal, so there was a lot of effort from the Conservatives. It is now considered to be safe, and the Tory campaign so far is negligible. So he could prove vulnerable to a good, hard-fought Lib Dem local campaign.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Important economic news day as January's public borrowing figures announced at 9.30am. Traditionally a bumper surplus through mega tax receipts.
  • Options

DavidL said:

... if you are a vaguely lefty voter in the south west you have a binary choice as the election comes around. You either vote Lib Dem or you vote Tory. On the better than the other lot theory some at least will come around. We already see that in the polling.

In the 2014 EU Parliament elections the LDs placed 5th in the SW region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_West_England_(European_Parliament_constituency)#Election_results
    PR compared to FPTP makes a difference though I would vote Lab PR LD FPTP in a CON/LD constituency
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    One of the craziest editorials I've read.

Is the contention really that the Liberals will do better because UKIP *might* eat into the coverage given to the Reds and Blues? Really? Because that will also be eating into the coverage given to the Liberals. It will also be presenting - very visibly - an alternative protest vote to the Liberals, one that the polling shows is far more appealing to the English and Welsh public.

The Liberals massively benefited from the Television gerrymandering in 2010, they had almost equal coverage with Labour and the Tories during the campaign (unheard of) and no longer command the polling to justify this. Even if their broadcast hours weren't being slashed they now have to share the alternative platform with UKIP, the Greens and more often than not SNP/Plaid.

The only outcome is that the Liberal voice will be squeezed much harder. The editorials claimed benefit is the Liberals biggest problem - and not one they can do anything about.
  • Options

Morning Peter

I also sold Labour when the market opened, at 291. (I was of the view that the two main Parties were too high, but wasn't sure which was most wrong.) I cashed out when that bet moved in to profit.
    Thanks for that - so there has been a considerably larger shift beween the two parties than the 12-15 seats I had estimated. From having been 18 seats ahead of the Tories at the outset, Labour are now 4 seats behind with Sporting ...... a movement of 22 seats - wow! No wonder they call spread-betting high risk, high reward.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Important economic news day as January's public borrowing figures announced at 9.30am. Traditionally a bumper surplus through mega tax receipts.

Hang on, I thought all those large well-advised companies no longer paid any Corporation Tax?

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Good morning all and of course there could be a LibDem revival over the next 11 weeks. Equally Jack could find that his magic beans are just plain ordinary beans. More likely our TV screens showing young people accusing Clegg of betrayal over tuition fees and Cable/Farron trying to sound more socialist than Ed + Ed will simply reinforce the view that LibDems don't believe in anything other than not being Tories or Labour.

In Scotland the LibDems go into this election with their Holyrood now small enough to travel in a single taxi and their councillor numbers depleted all over the country. The best the LibDems can hope for is that voters will feel sorry for them and actually vote for them. I of course hope that most LibDem MPs and candidates in "Tory winnable" seats get pounded like dockside hookers. Happy for them to hold the seats they are defending against Labour.
  • Options

Morning Peter

Thanks for that - so there has been a considerably larger shift beween the two parties than the 12-15 seats I had estimated. From having been 18 seats ahead of the Tories at the outset, Labour are now 4 seats behind with Sporting ...... a movement of 22 seats - wow! No wonder they call spread-betting high risk, high reward.
    It's quite startling, isn't it.

Either the spreads were very wrong when first put up, or there has been some highly irrational punting.

Or maybe the polls are wrong. (I'm told that a poll is always wrong if it doesn't say what you want it to.)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Your own son agrees with my forecast
    I guess that's call argument by appeal to authority!
    Absolutely. Robert is an extremely smart cookie, and provides exceptionally well-thought through analysis on here, but he is not a Tory.

Neither am I (anymore) for that matter.
  • Options

Kids eh?
    FWIW I don't think the Liberal Democrats deserve to do as badly as they will. I really mean that. They have contributed a great deal to the coalition over the last 5 years, even where I didn't personally agree with it.

Mike detested Gordon Brown, and was full of enthusiasm when the coalition was first formed. He became pissed off with the Tories after what he perceived as dirty tricks over electoral reform and ratting on the House of Lords reform. It annoyed him even more that they took credit for some of the Lib Dem initiatives, such as the income tax allowance rise, whilst the Lib Dems themselves sank in the polls.

So he now wants the Tories to be punished, and is even thinking about tactically voting Labour, and is in denial about the Lib Dems electoral position.

That explains the shift in the editorial positions over the last 5 years.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

No BBC livefeed again for F1, but Sky has one, for those wanting to follow things.

Mr. Putney, Melbourne, after watching the first race of the season?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    With the LDs on 6 percent, swing-back is almost inevitable.
  • Options
    OGH seems to me have abandoned all objectivity and taken to trolling the PB tories. I fear his heart is starting to rule his head. A while back I had some agreement with his stance, but with Libdems nationally on about 6%, there just will not be enough voters voting purely on local issues in Libdem constituencies to save them.

I think OGH and other Libdems also underestimate the extent to which voters in places like Yeovil constituency were "none of the above voters" rather than sympathisers with Libdem policies and will decamp en masse to UKIP & Green, along with Labour tactical voters decamping back to Labour or voting Green, who incidentally did not stand in 2010 in Yeovil.

• Options

JohnO said:

Hang on, I thought all those large well-advised companies no longer paid any Corporation Tax?

In which case, George ('by common consent a near perfect Chancellor') Osborne will be a very unhappy chap at 9.31am.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Looking at YG's 2010VI splits for this month, it would appear that the 2010LD are losing fewer votes to the Greens by about 2 points over the result for January..
  • Options
    On topic

@patrickwintour: Lib Dems claim there is a bit of a swingback in some of its key seats. Some reasons for them to be cheerful . http://t.co/Omi1M2tTE0
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    So far the Lib Dems, the junior coalition partner has suffered more in the polls than the major partner the Tories.It is tempting to believe that with good economic news they will benefit most>however the more likely outcome is that as major partner the Tories will benefit most.
    However any small shift in the polls would be welcome.The real challenge for them is to get opinion polls from single to double figures before the dissolution of Parliament.so far getting into the air war has been tough most TV coverage has been about the Con/Lab battle.Political broadcasts can help.The Tory broadcast earlier this week was a class act -Vox pops from individual businesses talking about the recovery and minimal talking from politicians -just ashort segment from Cameron who pools above his party but really it sought to givr the Cons credit for the recovery.The LD's could learn a lot from that.One lesson is that because Nick Clesgg polls worse than his party other well known LD such as Vince Cable should appear on some of the broadcasts.
    The real battle for the Lib Dems is in the LD /Con marginals.like the SNP ?lab marginals small swings can give or take away large numbers of seats.Currently polls suggest a 5% swing from Ld to con yielding 16 gains for them.However a sing back to the Ld,s of just 2.5% would reduce that figure to only 8 whilst further swing to the cons of 2.5% would increase it to 24.There are still a lot of seats to play for.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    Patrick said:

I bow to no-one in my pessimism about LibDem seat chances (and have some very large bets against them), but the polling does not back you up on them not being a "good coalition partner". Two-thirds of Conservative voters think the coalition has been a success, and a third of Labour voters would rather their party was in coalition with the LibDems than they had an absolute majority.

• Options

On topic

@patrickwintour: Lib Dems claim there is a bit of a swingback in some of its key seats. Some reasons for them to be cheerful . http://t.co/Omi1M2tTE0

Releasing supposed private polling is the last refuge of the political scoundrel. Bless our glorious coalition 'partner'.
  • Options
    My Constituency was LD post Iraq for two elections.

Lab gain with very small majority (against the national trend) in 2010.

In 2015 I consider it a safe enough seat to lend my election effort 10 miles North in order to give decapitation a good go.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited February 2015

Kids eh?
    FWIW I don't think the Liberal Democrats deserve to do as badly as they will. I really mean that. They have contributed a great deal to the coalition over the last 5 years, even where I didn't personally agree with it.

Mike detested Gordon Brown, and was full of enthusiasm when the coalition was first formed. He became pissed off with the Tories after what he perceived as dirty tricks over electoral reform and ratting on the House of Lords reform. It annoyed him even more that they took credit for some of the Lib Dem initiatives, such as the income tax allowance rise, whilst the Lib Dems themselves sank in the polls.

So he now wants the Tories to be punished, and is even thinking about tactically voting Labour, and is in denial about the Lib Dems electoral position.

I think that is a very good post. I know one or two Libdems and there is a definite feeling of bitterness at how they have been treated by the Tories and the general public for doing, as they see it, the right thing for the good of the country in 2010 and breaking bread with Lucifer (ie the tories).

The problem with the Libdems is that they are over dependent on reason and legalistic in their mindset.

The voters are animals who operate on instinct.

A good example is Britishness, to a Libdem someone with a British Passport is fully British. They cannot understand why many people will regard someone non-christian from a country that dosent speak English with few cultural links who has a British passport will be regarded as non-british by many, while a C of E Australian who does not have a British passport will be regarded as British by many; because they legalistically define it through the holding of the passport, whereas many instinctively define it through kith and kin. This underestimation of instinct is at the root of their electoral woes.
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, might the latter figure, that a third of Labour voters want a Lab-Lib Coalition rather than outright majority, be due to a combination of them being leftwing ex-Lib Dem voters and of Miliband being not necessarily Caesar reborn in leadership terms?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Individual MPs for the Lib Dems are very well thought of - but surely this helps them perform to ~ 27 seats rather than face wipeout. I'd say it's priced in, if their individual MPs weren't such perceived good eggs they would be looking at keeping WestMorland and Lonsdale, maybe Hallam & Eastleigh and that would be about it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    edited February 2015
    On topic, for years, I never expected the Lib Dems to do as badly as the national polling implied.

However, I was fully expecting the Lib Dems to be be polling 12% by now.

I think the problem for the Lib Dems, apart from Nick Clegg's toxic ratings is that they very publicly acted like they didn't want to be part of the coalition (I mean who can forget the plethora of Lib Dems slagging off the Tories to any pretty undercover journalist who batted their eyelashes at them.)

Is hard to take credit for the successes of the coalition when you're telling the world you feel like Emperor Valerian.
  • Options
    Scotland to beat England on Sunday night 9/1

What a complete shower England are, poor Nigel's Kane Williamson bet might be buggered now.

Turns out Captain Morgan's appointment might not be as rum as I first thought
  • Options
    The Lib Dems only hopes of retaining any seats
    are in Con-Lib marginals where the electorate are
    sufficiently right wing and extreme as to view those
    two (and UKIP) as the credible candidates

In all seats where normal people live Lab-Lib marginals
    or Lib-SNP battles the yellow Tories will be wiped out...
    including their leader who represents an area where there
    is zero Liberal history but instead only a desire by people
    in the Hallam seat to stop the Tory and join the rest of the
    fine city as a Tory free zone

Clegg is now seen as a virtual Tory in Sheffield..hence he will
    lose as the anti blue S Yorks vote swings behind Labour..Simon
    Hughes could also lose this way too...all in all though the Libs
    will be thankful for FPTP for even hanging on to 15 or so seats
  • Options
    Seats that would 100% go without personal vote but where Libv Dems are favourites:

Ross, Skye Lochaber
    Southport
    Sutton & Cheam
    Torbay
    Cambridge
    St Ives

• Options
    JohnO said:

On topic

Releasing supposed private polling is the last refuge of the political scoundrel. Bless our glorious coalition 'partner'.
    1) I do believe under BPC rules Survation have to publish the details of the polling

2) The article says Clegg holding Sheffield Hallam, a few weeks ago, Survation had Clegg losing Sheffield Hallam.
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Lib Dems are on average 6% down in local by-elections. They got 23% in 2010 GE. They will get more than 7% of opinion polls and it seats they hold I suspect they will be down by no more than 5%. Libs to lose 20 seats max. Labour will lose at least 20 in Scotland. The key is how many Tories lose to Labour. They will gain 20 from Libs
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370
    Interesting use of funds: a local email is offering £50/head to people in Broxtowe who "have not ruled out voting Conservative" to come to a two-hour discussion. Assuming this is a Tory thing, is that something that will need to be declared as a long campaign election expense, since it's constituency-specific? If 60 people turn up, that's £3000...
  • Options
    Bermondsey & Old Southwark
  • Options

On topic, for years, I never expected the Lib Dems to do as badly as the national polling implied.

However, I was fully expecting the Lib Dems to be be polling 12% by now.

I think the problem for the Lib Dems, apart from Nick Clegg's toxic ratings is that they very publicly acted like they didn't want to be part of the coalition (I mean who can forget the plethora of Lib Dems slagging off the Tories to any pretty undercover journalist who batted their eyelashes at them.

Is hard to take credit for the successes of the coalition when you're telling the world you feel like Emperor Valerian.

The LDs have many, many problems.

Signing a pledge to do X, making it their core offer and doing the opposite is probably their biggest problem.

They are in exactly the same position as the Tories would be if they had joined the Euro.

Another problem is that they presented themselves as a safe receptacle for anti-Tory votes and then propped up a minority Tory party for five long years.
  • Options
    Welcome to pb.com, Mr. Agorna.

Isn't there a hefty blue vote in Sheffield Hallam?
  • Options

Kids eh?

Of course, the tax allowance wasn't a uniquely LibDem policy - it had been in the Tory manifesto in 2005, I believe, for example. But it was an okay policy (although I think it has potentially been taken too far because I believe that anyone working should make some contribution through direct taxation).

On the other points, frankly he was just in denial. The Tories were always upfront they would campaign against AV. And Cameron always knew he couldn't deliver his party on HoL reform, so he didn't promise to.

But he was just looking for excuses to dislike the Tories.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    OT. There could be a swingback to the L/Dems, Mike, but there won't be.
  • Options

JohnO said:

On topic

1) I do believe under BPC rules Survation have to publish the details of the polling

2) The article says Clegg holding Sheffield Hallam, a few weeks ago, Survation had Clegg losing Sheffield Hallam.
    Clegg shouldn't actually be behind in any poll in Hallam, even on UNS he doesn't lose it - he's facing Labour, not the SNP. His majority over Labour was utterly gigantic !
  • Options
    Casino

The only petulant types on here are the very odd hordes of self-congratulatory PBTories who prefer anecdotes based on their own mates to polling. Mike is right: polling and analysis vs PB Tory wishful thinking.
  • Options

Interesting use of funds: a local email is offering £50/head to people in Broxtowe who "have not ruled out voting Conservative" to come to a two-hour discussion. Assuming this is a Tory thing, is that something that will need to be declared as a long campaign election expense, since it's constituency-specific? If 60 people turn up, that's £3000...

Buy a load of blue wigs and and send the whole CLP. A nice little fundraiser.
  • Options
    37.3% Majority over Labour - If he holds on I'll take some profit on the seat but bloody hell it is NO vindication of Clegg if he holds Hallam.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, the damage would've been less if they hadn't managed to turn an agreement to abstain on the vote into a three-way split.
  • Options

OGH seems to me have abandoned all objectivity and taken to trolling the PB tories. I fear his heart is starting to rule his head. A while back I had some agreement with his stance, but with Libdems nationally on about 6%, there just will not be enough voters voting purely on local issues in Libdem constituencies to save them.

I think OGH and other Libdems also underestimate the extent to which voters in places like Yeovil constituency were "none of the above voters" rather than sympathisers with Libdem policies and will decamp en masse to UKIP & Green, along with Labour tactical voters decamping back to Labour or voting Green, who incidentally did not stand in 2010 in Yeovil.

Talking of trolling, can you update us on the #StValentinesDayPollingMassacre ?
  • Options

Welcome aboard, Cool.

Hughes is an exceptionally popular local MP. His odds of 8/15 look right to me.

Not sure about Clegg. Yorkshire not my patch. See Morris Dancer.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Patrick said:

I bow to no-one in my pessimism about LibDem seat chances (and have some very large bets against them), but the polling does not back you up on them not being a "good coalition partner". Two-thirds of Conservative voters think the coalition has been a success, and a third of Labour voters would rather their party was in coalition with the LibDems than they had an absolute majority.

The Coalition has indeed been a success.

But our shield has been well battered and now it is time to discard it and move into the fray
  • Options
    I agree with TSE and Casino Royale - I was surprised by quite how low the Liberal Democrats sunk and by their failure to recover; and I feel they deserve better having performed well in government, but to a large degree squandered the political capital they may have garnered by misplaying the politics of the coalition and failing adequately to differentiate their own contribution, while simultaneously disassociating themselves from the government's increasingly successful programme.

I have long believed that we will see a "yellow swan" event during the campaign, a dramatic repositioning of the Liberal Democrats that will force people to take note and which could be transformational. It might be as simple as a change in leadership (signalled, if not immediate) or as dramatic as a schism. I accept now the odds of that are decreasing, but I would not rule it out, and if it happens it could result in quite a dramatic shift in the electoral dynamics.

As it is, the LDs best chance of recovering some ground lies in wooing the small army of former LD voters who have been propping up the Labour vote. If the LDs can gain 3-4 per cent, mostly at the expense of Labour, that alone would almost certainly result in another Con-Lib coalition, if the respective parties can be made to swallow it, or a Con government. Which rather demonstrates the LDs challenge...
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Mr. Jonathan, the damage would've been less if they hadn't managed to turn an agreement to abstain on the vote into a three-way split.

Come off it, they should simply have campaigned and voted against. For some bizarre reason they prioritised their AV referendum and Lords reform above this.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

I'd expect Nick Clegg to hold Hallam, Greg Mulholand to hold Leeds NW, John Hemming to hold Birmingham Yardley, and Simon Hughes to hold Bermondsey.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    I really hope, Mr Flockers, that your second paragraph is right!
  • Options
    Mr. Punter, best to ask Mr. Eagles, given he (I think) actually lives in Sheffield Hallam.

Worth noting that lots of people think Yorkshire = Labour/anti-Conservative.

In parts of the People's Republic of South Yorkshire that's true, but Sheffield Hallam's pretty swanky. Similarly, swathes of North Yorkshire are bluer than a drowning smurf.

I do think Balls will hold on here. Alas.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Lib Dem swingback.

Meanwhile Tories on 32% with YouGov. Where they've been since 2012.

#Flatline
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, are you really asserting that the Lib Dem mishandling of the tuition fees vote didn't worsen their situation?
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Lib Dems are on average 6% down in local by-elections. They got 23% in 2010 GE. They will get more than 7% of opinion polls and it seats they hold I suspect they will be down by no more than 5%. Libs to lose 20 seats max. Labour will lose at least 20 in Scotland. The key is how many Tories lose to Labour. They will gain 20 from Libs

Tories gaining 20 from LibDems, but FRI 20 FEB 2015 losing 20 max. How do you make that add up?
  • Options

Welcome aboard, Cool.

Sheffield Hallam has a very proud record of never electing a Labour MP in its 100 year plus history, which is quite an achievement given our location in the People's Republic of South Yorkshire.

I expect that record to remain unblemished.
  • Options
    Seems Jamesw Forsyth at the Speccie disagrees with OGH

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/politics/9447962/why-the-lib-dems-arent-scared-of-this-election-and-why-they-should-be/

"Why the Lib Dems aren’t scared of this election (and why they should be)
    Their message sounds good. But will anyone hear it?"

"Senior Lib Dems fear that lack of
    [media] coverage could do them serious damage. In private, Liberal Democrat ministers admit that the party is unlikely to hold more than a handful of the seats where Labour came second to it in 2010. And only a few seats in Scotland are safe from the SNP surge. So the key to the Lib Dems’ electoral performance will be how they do against the Tories. If they are going to keep more than half their seats — the minimum acceptable return — they will have to beat back their coalition partners....."

"But their worry is that the more they are squeezed out of the news, the harder it will be for them to get this message across. It will become far simpler for the Tories to persuade voters in these seats
    [Libdem Tory Marginals like Somerton and Frome and Sutton and Cheam] that you have to vote for them because Miliband is too much of a risk with the economy"
  • Options
    OGH article today. A victory for hope over experience.
  • Options

Welcome aboard, Cool.

Sheffield Hallam has a very proud record of never electing a Labour MP in its 100 year plus history, which is quite an achievement given our location in the People's Republic of South Yorkshire.

I expect that record to remain unblemished.
    Be funny if the Tories defeated Cleggie
  • Options
    Thank you Morris Dancer..as a keen betting man I have
    followed this site though never posted before ..though have
    on the Speccy and Labour List and mainly on Dan Hodges
    Ed bashing columns prior to the Torygraph stopping any
    comments on their hacks efforts.

Yes there always has and still is a strong Blue presence in Hallam
    mainly as it is the company director, ex footballer etc area of
    the city and under One Nation type Toryism of the 45 to 79
    variety would no doubt have remained so to this day

However since Thatcherism the city has moved even more to
    the left in response...Clegg benefited from that (in fact the Libs
    briefly took council control a few years into Blairism as the
    city responded angrily to Labours rightward lurch) .and the
    strong student vote to build his majority up to its current strong
    looking one

However it is built on sand..the vote he got was a Anti Tory vote
    and as polls now show its a Lab-Lib fight in May in Hallam then
    Coppard is a great value bet at odds against as the mood in the
    city will be for the elections "Portillo" moment to come this time
    in the City of Steel
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    New Survation poll shows 52% of Scots would still vote No in another independence vote, but most want a second referendum in about 10 years
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/revealed-daily-record-poll-shows-5195216
This discussion has been closed.