Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The January PB Poll Average – closing in on a double crosso

Comments

• Options
    Merde, too late to edit my earlier post. That twitter panel's at 8pm, and lasts 1 hour.
  • Options
    Do Labour have a calendar for this campaign to upset one demographic group a day?

90 more to go after the Catholics, Business, Scots, English, Welsh, Wealthy, Landlords, University Leaders.....
  • Options

antifrank said:

Scott_P said:

Late, but inevitable

@TristramHuntMP: On BBC QT I was trying to make a generalised point about the use of unqualified teachers in schools. I obviously meant no offence to nuns.

LOL!

So, to be clear, he didn't mean any offence to nuns, as long as they're not teachers?
    Nun too impressive from Tristram Hunt.
    Comments like that are out of order.
    It's conventional that we make a series of puns in such circumstances.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

UKIP is far far far more likely to prop up Labour on a bill by bill basis than the SNP prop up the COnservatives, and neither will happen.

Surely those two statements are mutually exclusive?
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2015
    My favourite nun joke.

Brother Michael has been a monk all his life, which he passes studying mediaeval palimpsests at his monastery. But the best ones are at the convent that's a train ride away. So he gets permission to pay a visit to the convent.

He arrives at the station, gets off the train and sets off on the walk to the convent which, as so often happens in these jokes, involves a short cut through the red light district.

On his way he passes an attractive underdressed young woman standing in a doorway who calls to him, "Fancy a blow job? Ten quid." Puzzled, he walks on and a few doors down another young lady calls out "Blow job mate? Ten quid". This happens several more times during the walk.

He arrives at the convent, asks for the Mother Superior and is shown around, and where everything is. "So I think that's everything," she concludes, "unless you had any questions?"

"Well, yes, I did have one, actually," says Brother Michael.

"Oh yes? And what is that?"

"Well, actually, Mother Superior, I was wondering what a 'blow job' was?"

"A blow job?" she replies. "Ten quid, same as in town."

Boom boom!
  • Options
    In case any of you missed it.

The best photo of Tristram Hunt this week

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/02/03/254E088900000578-2937831-image-m-14_1422979870203.jpg
  • Options
    That nun should get out of her habit to irritate Tristram Hunt.

I'll get me coat...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Because I think Ed probably becomes PM if he gets within about 10-15 seats of the Tories. Obviously there are interesting defenestration scenarios to consider but I think the GBP will be expecting one of DC/EM to become Prime Minister and other politicians will be wary of being too creative.

Where I do agree with you is that the Conservatives most seats and David Cameron Prime Minister after the election should not both be 1.7. Clearly the former is more likely than the latter.

If half of the Lib Dems have been sent packing and Labour has lost the popular vote, they will not want to prop up a government of losers without showing that they have listened to what the public had said. Add to that the fact that Ed Miliband has made it clear that he doesn't want to work with Nick Clegg, and the opportunity to knife him would be very tempting indeed. I can't imagine many senior Labour figures fighting hard on his behalf.

"Not Ed" would presumably be some eminence grise. Alan Johnson would be the obvious choice, if he's standing again. But Yvette Cooper might do. (Or Harriet Harman, he says, clutching his betting slip).
    Good analysis. My view is that the Labour grandees simply won't allow Ed to make himself PM off the back of the SNP. It's risk doing to their party in England what's happened in Scotland. The Conservatives could easily get a boon off the back of it as the "English" party under a new leader.

I exaggerate only slightly.
    So who does become PM? How does one avoid doing deals with the SNP if there's a hung parliament? A grand coalition. I'm not sure Ed has too much to worry about from the SNP. They seem now to be resolutely anti-Tory. If Miliband unveils a broadly progressive manifesto, dare the SNP to vote him down.
    You forget. Cameron is the incumbent PM. He is in office until he resigns. If he has the most seats then he doesn't have to go anywhere unless Miliband can demonstrate he'd be more likely to command the House than he.

Cameron would be the one sitting tight at the helm of a weak Conservative Minority administration, daring the other parties to unite to bring him down.
    If the SNP hate the Tories as much as they claim surely they'd unite with Labour pretty quickly?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    I'm really struggling to see anything other than a Labour minority administration propped up by the SNP on a bill by bill basis.
  • Options

Iain Martin - Forecaster of the day.
    Paul Waugh @paulwaugh
    "11hrs ago RT @iainmartin1: Tomorrow, by middayTristram Hunt: "I have the utmost respect for nuns and all the work that they do" "

It's a cloisterfeck.
  • Options
    Might stretch to s&c if Nicola is feeling generous.
  • Options
    Mr. Lilburne, fortunately it takes place in a fictional world, so any 'errors' are, in fact, entirely deliberate differences I have chosen for literary reasons. Ahem.
  • Options
    Looks like Farage's trip to Rotherham has turned into a fiasco.

He's trapped in the UKIP Rotherham office, because the locals* are complaining he's come to rubber neck at victims

*Could be local trade unionists.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

He's trapped in the UKIP Rotherham office, because the locals* are complaining he's come to rubber neck at victims

@MattChorley: The protesters in Rotherham seem to include every group Farage has ever upset http://t.co/Jv8fL4Qg97 http://t.co/E7OeGRHc3Y
  • Options
    Miss DiCanio, rather like that one.

Mr. Eagles, jein. It may not play badly for him.
  • Options

Do Labour have a calendar for this campaign to upset one demographic group a day?

90 more to go after the Catholics, Business, Scots, English, Welsh, Wealthy, Landlords, University Leaders.....

Maybe it's to counter accusations of excessive PC-ness

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited February 2015

Vote harvesting off the back of child abuse? Truly disgusting, and he deserves any grief he gets for doing so.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited February 2015

Yes fiasco, was the main item on daily politics for 15 mins... Terrible publicity after Farage wrote a page longarticle in the independent on it today... He must hope it's doesn't make the news... Would hate to be seen as the party that takes on lefties in rotherham

Its the same jokers who follow ukip everywhere trying to cause trouble... HopeNotHate, SWP etc

And their posters said "no to bigatry"...
  • Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Because I think Ed probably becomes PM if he gets within about 10-15 seats of the Tories. Obviously there are interesting defenestration scenarios to consider but I think the GBP will be expecting one of DC/EM to become Prime Minister and other politicians will be wary of being too creative.

Where I do agree with you is that the Conservatives most seats and David Cameron Prime Minister after the election should not both be 1.7. Clearly the former is more likely than the latter.

If half of the Lib Dems have been sent packing and Labour has lost the popular vote

"Not Ed" would presumably be some eminence grise. Alan Johnson would be the obvious choice, if he's standing again. But Yvette Cooper might do. (Or Harriet Harman, he says, clutching his betting slip).
    Good analysis. My view is that the Labour grandees simply won't allow Ed to make himself PM off the back of the SNP. It's risk doing to their party in England what's happened in Scotland. The Conservatives could easily get a boon off the back of it as the "English" party under a new leader.

So who does become PM? How does one avoid doing deals with the SNP if there's a hung parliament? A grand coalition. I'm not sure Ed has too much to worry about from the SNP. They seem now to be resolutely anti-Tory. If Miliband unveils a broadly progressive manifesto, dare the SNP to vote him down.
    You forget. Cameron is the incumbent PM. He is in office until he resigns. If he has the most seats then he doesn't have to go anywhere unless Miliband can demonstrate he'd be more likely to command the House than he.

Cameron would be the one sitting tight at the helm of a weak Conservative Minority administration, daring the other parties to unite to bring him down.
    If the SNP hate the Tories as much as they claim surely they'd unite with Labour pretty quickly?
    This is the assumption most are making. My view is that the SNP doesn't really give a toss about the Tories; it simply wants to do whatever's most expedient to gain independence for Scotland as soon as possible.

A coalition requires more than mutual dislike of the Tories, in any case. It requires both the SNP and Labour to both perceive it as in their best interests to tango with each other, and to be able to reach a deal.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited February 2015

Miss DiCanio, rather like that one.

Mr. Eagles, jein. It may not play badly for him.

They are doing Farage a favour, Rotherham is somewhere you really don't want to visit.

I mean, the local JD Sports, is the only JD Sports outside of Liverpool that has an evening wear section.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2015

40 protesters have prevented a visit from the leader of the party which topped the Euro election result in Rotherham with 27,949 votes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31163189

http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/downloads/file/1140/2014_declaration_of_local_result_for_the_rotherham_local_counting_area
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Vote harvesting off the back of child abuse? Truly disgusting, and he deserves any grief he gets for doing so.
    He seems to have upset the unable to spell lobby...

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited February 2015
    Oh dear. Blocking democracy. Her remark is bordering on the disgusting.

Sarah Champion MP @SarahChampionMP
    "Hilarious Farage is trapped inside the #Rotherham UKIP shop by people objecting to him coming to rubber neck at victims!"
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,419
    edited February 2015

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

If half of the Lib Dems have been sent packing and Labour has lost the popular vote, they will not want to prop up a government of losers without showing that they have listened to what the public had said. Add to that the fact that Ed Miliband has made it clear that he doesn't want to work with Nick Clegg, and the opportunity to knife him would be very tempting indeed. I can't imagine many senior Labour figures fighting hard on his behalf.

If Labour hate the Tories as much as they claim surely they'd unite with the SNP pretty quickly?
  • Options

"Hilarious Farage is trapped inside the #Rotherham UKIP shop by people objecting to him coming to rubber neck at victims!"

She came off us a nice, passionate person in the documentary the other day.

Less so by that tweet.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

He seems to have upset the unable to spell lobby...

My favourite mis-spelled banner

Death to all juice

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/915/death_to_all_juice.jpg
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited February 2015

I thought she'd been doing a pretty reasonable job as MP under the circumstances but that tweet is outrageous. Hope she loses now.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Turning into a day of rotten Labour run Councils on BBC Daily politics show.

The demographic group that Labour want to upset today is "local councillors in Redcar".
  • Options

It is acceptable on the Left to use intimidation as a means of silencing views that you strongly disagree with. The reason being that they fear others will be unduly influenced and misinformed if they're heard, and they know best, so it's better to police them.
  • Options

It seems to be a common trait among these UKIP figures to imagine themselves more likeable than they actually are. Consequently, they do things like this, and seem bewildered to encounter an authentically typical reaction to themselves.

One thinks of Godfrey Bloom not realising nobody much else found his bongo-bongo / sluts schtick funny, Nigel banging about Romanians next door, Nigel going to Edinburgh, and so on.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @timothy_stanley: Tristram Hunt v nuns: snobbery and vanity are destroying Labour | via @Telegraph http://t.co/ORsI4vpaUo
  • Options

Yes why not let Labour carry on as they were eh?

Andrew Neil currently grilling Sarah Champion MP as to why the people employed by Labour in Childrens services in Rotherham are now doing the same jobs on fat salaries in Doncaster and other parts of the north.

Nothing to see here

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@timothy_stanley: Tristram Hunt v nuns: snobbery and vanity are destroying Labour | via @Telegraph http://t.co/ORsI4vpaUo

The column Dan Hodges dreams of writing - very very insightful.
  • Options

It seems to be a common trait among these UKIP figures to imagine themselves more likeable than they actually are. Consequently, they do things like this, and seem bewildered to encounter an authentically typical reaction to themselves.

One thinks of Godfrey Bloom not realising nobody much else found his bongo-bongo / sluts schtick funny, Nigel banging about Romanians next door, Nigel going to Edinburgh, and so on.
    I felt sorry for Godfrey Bloom, Bongo Bongo land originated from Alan Clark, and his definition of sluts was accurate, going by the OED.
  • Options
    isam said:

Andrew Neil currently grilling Sarah Champion MP as to why the people employed by Labour in Childrens services in Rotherham are now doing the same jobs on fat salaries in Doncaster and other parts of the north.

Nothing to see here

You have a point - but Kip should have sent someone with more gravitas than "bloke in pub swilling pint".

• Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited February 2015

I felt sorry for Godfrey Bloom, Bongo Bongo land originated from Alan Clark, and his definition of sluts was accurate, going by the OED.
    Godfrey Bloom was no Alan Clark, though; an obvious point, but one seemingly lost on Bloom.
  • Options
    I don't think Hunt should worry too much.

After all, there aren't many nuns in Labour.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

Nothing to see here

You have a point - but Kip should have sent someone with more gravitas than "bloke in pub swilling pint".

Well Labour are trying to sue the MEP/UKIP PPC!

Andrew Neil just pulled Champion/Dave Vanian up on her tweet and she smirked

I don't see that this visit is turning out particularly badly for Farage and UKIP, and would take the opportunity to say you should back them in Rotherham and Rother Valley at the best prices you can
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,167

Good point. I love gaming the SNP - you just have to ask at every turn "What is best for getting independence?"

Yes, the astonishing thing is that many people, especially on the left, seem to think that the SNP are on Labour's side. Of course this is the exact opposite of the truth - Labour are the enemy which the SNP need to destroy, whereas the Conservatives are a convenient bogeyman, and it's in the SNP's interest to keep the bogeyman to hand.

Even if the SNP aren't immediately gunning for another go at IndyRef, their main aim is to win the next Holyrood election. To that end they ain't gonna be helpful to Labour, that's for sure.
    People often forget, that it was the SNP that helped bring down a Labour government and usher in 18 years of a Tory Government.

I wonder if they'd be so helpful in May.
    2007-2011 the SNP government was propped up by the Tories in Holyrood..The Tories have rightful expectation to have the favour paid back.An SNP/Tory coalition would not surprise me at all.As long as Labour rule out any possible coalition with the Tories.

With respect: not quite. It was a minority government which managed to do some things because the other parties liked them. It didn't manage some things, because the others didn't like them (indyref being the classic example). It was forced to do other things despite its protests (Edinburgh Trams being the classic example). And it achieved other things because of horsetrading.

What was interesting was how the Tories and SLAB reacted. The Tories, being a right wing minority party, decided - or (not then yet Dame) Bella Goldie did - that they might as well screw what they could out of the minority government even if it made other objectives more difficult. She did it pretty well and at least you knew more or less wehre you were with them.

SLAB by contrast seemed to be unable to cope with the situation and at one point ended up voting against one particular budget because of a proposal which they wanted in the first place - and came very close to shutting Scottish government down.

The Tories dam' well made sure they got their poond o'flesh bang on the nail at the time, by the way - for instance 1000 more polis on the beat. So I don't think there is any element of a persisting debt. But it is an interesting lesson. Note that Annabella Goldie could have deadlocked everything. But she didn't.
  • Options

Godfrey Bloom was no Alan Clark, though; an obvious point, but one seemingly lost on Bloom.
    Reading his diaries and biographies about him, I got the feeling, Alan Clark didn't hold offensive views per se, he merely said them, to provoke a reaction and get his own amusement.

Whereas Godfrey on a cursory look does believe everything he says.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Nothing to see here

I don't see that this visit is turning out particularly badly for Farage and UKIP, and would take the opportunity to back them in Rotherham and Rother Valley at the best prices you can
    Should have sent Nuttal - but I think we all know whos ego thought that Nige going was a splendid idea.

• Options

Less so by that tweet.
    Agreed - she's very new in the seat so probably doesn't feel 'her' Labour are as tainted because of that... wrongly. It's not hilarious at all.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Nothing to see here

I don't see that this visit is turning out particularly badly for Farage and UKIP, and would take the opportunity to back them in Rotherham and Rother Valley at the best prices you can
    Should have sent Nuttal - but I think we all know whos ego thought that Nige going was a splendid idea.

Well I don't think UKIP mind setting themselves against protestors in places like this to be honest. Nuttall might not have got the headlines that Farage has already, and as you no doubt know already, no headlines means UKIP down in the polls

If Farage wore a right hander off one those smelly lefties it would prob push UKIP over 20%
  • Options
    From a betting perspective I'd like John Baron to come out in support of Sarah Champion here, but he's far too smart for that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

From a betting perspective I'd like John Baron to come out in support of Sarah Champion here, but he's far too smart for that.

Kevin Baron you mean?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited February 2015
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Nothing to see here

In Farage's mind, adoring crowds of liberated Yorkshiremen should be throwing flowers into the road as he drives his battle poster van along Rotherham High Street, waving at an adoring crowd.
  • Options

Less so by that tweet.
    Agreed - she's very new in the seat so probably doesn't feel 'her' Labour are as tainted because of that... wrongly. It's not hilarious at all.
    I'm backing Spurs tomorrow
  • Options

Reading his diaries and biographies about him, I got the feeling, Alan Clark didn't hold offensive views per se, he merely said them, to provoke a reaction and get his own amusement.

My reading of Clark is the opposite. I think he genuinely admired Hitler but people assumed he was just trying to get a rise.
  • Options

Less so by that tweet.
    You utter Dick Hunt.
  • Options
    Looking at the news, some of the protesters in Rotherham, were breastfeeding mothers.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    Cost of living crisis

Poundland taking over rival 99p stores
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited February 2015
    Couple of choice paras:

Does Miliband never wake up and wonder whether Labour chose the right brother in that fratricidal leadership contest: that it might have done better opting for David, the older brother, the former foreign secretary adored by Hillary Clinton, the more experienced figure? “Definitely not,” he says firmly. “On the issues that matter most I’ve been proved right: on the cost of living, on responsible capitalism, on the challenge of the vested interests, inequality. I think Britain needs a Labour government and Britain needs a Labour government led by me.”

[...]

One Labour MP — a supporter of Miliband in the leadership contest — says: “He’s not a presidential figure in a presidential contest. Can we win? No. We don’t mention him on the doorsteps and it will be interesting to see how many people put him on their leaflets. His relationship with his brother must be terrible. It’s tragic he has given up so much for something he’s not very good at. It was too big a step up for him.”
  • Options
    edited February 2015

My reading of Clark is the opposite. I think he genuinely admired Hitler but people assumed he was just trying to get a rise.
    I admire Hitler too, in the sense of where Germany was, and where he took them too, in a few short years. I mean, he was in control of most of mainland Europe.

Obviously hubris took over on his part when he decided to invade the CCCP.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    I am off to see Selma
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Good point. I love gaming the SNP - you just have to ask at every turn "What is best for getting independence?"

Yes, the astonishing thing is that many people, especially on the left, seem to think that the SNP are on Labour's side. Of course this is the exact opposite of the truth - Labour are the enemy which the SNP need to destroy, whereas the Conservatives are a convenient bogeyman, and it's in the SNP's interest to keep the bogeyman to hand.

Even if the SNP aren't immediately gunning for another go at IndyRef, their main aim is to win the next Holyrood election. To that end they ain't gonna be helpful to Labour, that's for sure.
    People often forget, that it was the SNP that helped bring down a Labour government and usher in 18 years of a Tory Government.

I wonder if they'd be so helpful in May.
    2007-2011 the SNP government was propped up by the Tories in Holyrood..The Tories have rightful expectation to have the favour paid back.An SNP/Tory coalition would not surprise me at all.As long as Labour rule out any possible coalition with the Tories.

With respect: not quite. It was a minority government which managed to do some things because the other parties liked them. It didn't manage some things, because the others didn't like them (indyref being the classic example). It was forced to do other things despite its protests (Edinburgh Trams being the classic example). And it achieved other things because of horsetrading.

What was interesting was how the Tories and SLAB reacted. The Tories, being a right wing minority party, decided - or (not then yet Dame) Bella Goldie did - that they might as well screw what they could out of the minority government even if it made other objectives more difficult. She did it pretty well and at least you knew more or less wehre you were with them.

SLAB by contrast seemed to be unable to cope with the situation and at one point ended up voting against one particular budget because of a proposal which they wanted in the first place - and came very close to shutting Scottish government down.

The Tories dam' well made sure they got their poond o'flesh bang on the nail at the time, by the way - for instance 1000 more polis on the beat. So I don't think there is any element of a persisting debt. But it is an interesting lesson. Note that Annabella Goldie could have deadlocked everything. But she didn't.
    To my mind The Scottish Tories, and Mrs Goldie particularly never got the recognition they deserved for the continued functioning of the administration at that time.

And please don't mention the f*cking trams again...

• Options

Less so by that tweet.
    You utter Dick Hunt.
    If you put 5 past Chelsea, you can beat the Arse.

You do remember when you put five past Chelsea?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

The trams are a sore point on pbc.
  • Options

I am off to see Selma

I hope it was made by a qualified director ;-) Enjoy...
  • Options

Couple of choice paras:

Does Miliband never wake up and wonder whether Labour chose the right brother in that fratricidal leadership contest: that it might have done better opting for David, the older brother, the former foreign secretary adored by Hillary Clinton, the more experienced figure? “Definitely not,” he says firmly. “On the issues that matter most I’ve been proved right: on the cost of living, on responsible capitalism, on the challenge of the vested interests, inequality. I think Britain needs a Labour government and Britain needs a Labour government led by me.”

[...]

One Labour MP — a supporter of Miliband in the leadership contest — says: “He’s not a presidential figure in a presidential contest. Can we win? No. We don’t mention him on the doorsteps and it will be interesting to see how many people put him on their leaflets. His relationship with his brother must be terrible. It’s tragic he has given up so much for something he’s not very good at. It was too big a step up for him.”
    I do wonder if the only reason Ed ran for the leadership was, so he'd do well, and David could appoint him to a senior Shadow Cabinet role without it looking like nepotism.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Christ those were fun threads.
  • Options

I am off to see Selma

I plan to see it tonight, along with Jupiter Ascending and the Interview.
  • Options
    liarpoliticians ‏@liarpoliticians · 35m35 minutes ago
    Sarah Champion MP, why shouldn't it be "a political issue" on Rotherham child abuse, entire Labour council just got damned over it. #bbcdp

• Options
    @isam Whats my bet with Rotherham with you - I'm laying you £5 @ 11-4 was it ?
  • Options

I admire Hitler too, in the sense of where Germany was, and where he took them too, in a few short years. I mean, he was in control of most of mainland Europe.

Admire is probably not the word you're looking for.
    I get what you mean (I assume), but admire implies warm regard and approval.

• Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited February 2015

Less so by that tweet.
    You utter Dick Hunt.
    If you put 5 past Chelsea, you can beat the Arse.

You do remember when you put five past Chelsea?
    I can almost recite all of stand=in pundit Steve Claridge's comments on 5 Live commentary I listened to it so many times... we're got a 100% fit and present squad too, if we can't win tomorrow then it's harder to think of a better time with sanchez out But this is Spurs so 1-1 is probable and the terror of 1-5 always exists
  • Options

Neil said:

define fun...
  • Options

Couple of choice paras:

[...]

I do wonder if the only reason Ed ran for the leadership was, so he'd do well, and David could appoint him to a senior Shadow Cabinet role without it looking like nepotism.
    Ed was in it to win it. The real question is what the hell David was up to.

• Options
    Neil said:

David thought he had won it.
  • Options

Couple of choice paras:

[...]

I think Ed thought he'd win, and wanted to win. And fair enough too: he wasn't ever going to be leader if David had won. It's still his original sin though.

Come on David Miliband, come out and endorse Cameron for the GE.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@isam Whats my bet with Rotherham with you - I'm laying you £5 @ 11-4 was it ?

I am not sure, something like that! #bigplayas
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2015
    I see that the FT, in their headline article, have finally caught up with what we all knew months ago:

Leading Blairites last November sounded out Alan Johnson, the former home secretary, on whether he intended to stand against Ed Miliband as Labour leader, amid simmering unrest in the party.

Peter Mandelson, former trade secretary, was asked by a number of Labour MPs — including those who would have supported a leadership challenge — to see whether the centrist Mr Johnson planned a move.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/753e17da-ade4-11e4-919e-00144feab7de.html#axzz3QyBimZXf
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    The goods Trade deficit doesn't get much of a mention these days.

Osborne is a record holder - worst trade deficit in 300 years. #rebalancing

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/563679593702645760
  • Options
    Neil said:

Couple of choice paras:

[...]

Playing the Portillo role? Had to stand, but in retrospect was his heart really in it?
  • Options

Neil said:

And so did Dan ;)

• Options

Admire is probably not the word you're looking for.
    I get what you mean (I assume), but admire implies warm regard and approval.

I know, it's a tricky subject.

I admire his military prowess up to May 1940.

I despise the man for what he did and everything he stood for.

I once got into frightful bother on another forum, saying Rommel was unlucky in that he had the Italians on his side in Africa.

I'm not sure if it is an apocryphal quote or not, but in WW2, When Churchill was told Italy was fighting alongside Germany, he said "Seems only fair, we had them the last time"
  • Options

Neil said:

This was another episode in the occasional series, "David Miliband is totally and utterly shit at politics".
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Neil said:

define fun...
    Fun for Sunil as he got to talk about the trains and the tube.

Tedious as hell for everyone else until the SNP did a reverse ferret and changed their minds.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Very clever of Labour to create a diversion from Hunts stupidity by creating more in Rotherham
  • Options
    Just seen Populus.

When is swingover–cross back due to occur?
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Neil said:

This was another episode in the occasional series, "David Miliband is totally and utterly shit at politics".
    What on earth would David have had to offer the voters over the course of this Parliament that Cameron and Clegg havent cornered the market on anyway?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,154

Less so by that tweet.
    Wasn’t she picked from a centrally-imposed short list over local oppostion. According to wikipedia some in the local party “establishment” wanted someone who has now resigned both as a cabinet member and councillor.

Was someone beginning to get a grip?
  • Options
    BenM said:

I have no idea why this is rarely discussed on PB. Can someone enlighten me?
  • Options

Couple of choice paras:

[...]

Possibly, but Derek Simpson the Joint General Secretary of Unite at the time, talked him into it with the promise of their backing.
    http://www.newstatesman.com/uk-politics/2010/03/labour-simpson-union-interview
  • Options
    Number of posts when the Tories had a single point lead in YouGov earlier in the week: 1,346

Number of posts when the Tories had a three-point deficit in Populus this morning: 4
  • Options

BenM said:

Stuff from red Ed Conway is of dubious merit?
  • Options

Number of posts when the Tories had a single point lead in YouGov earlier in the week: 1,346

Number of posts when the Tories had a three-point deficit in Populus this morning: 4

Can you prove and link to the figure of 1,346
  • Options

Can you prove and link to the figure of 1,346
    Can't be arsed
  • Options

Less so by that tweet.
    Wasn’t she picked from a centrally-imposed short list over local oppostion. According to wikipedia some in the local party “establishment” wanted someone who has now resigned both as a cabinet member and councillor.

I thought that was in Heywood and Middleton? Think you have got mixed up
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Neil said:

Neil said:

What on earth David would have had to offer the voters over the course of this Parliament ......
    Eating a bacon sandwich? Mangling vowels? Looking normal? Remembering the deficit? Strategic thinking? Understanding Business? Good relations with your brother?
  • Options
    Mr. Ajob, because Conway's a clown who spent a Budget day interview with the Chancellor of the Exchequer asking him if he'd ever gone second class on a train.

More recently (few months ago) Conway wrote a piece intended to be witty [it wasn't] about Osborne being rubbish. Not to say it's impossible, or even difficult (necessarily), to write such a piece, just that Conway's effort was risible.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

BenM said:

Perhaps you could ask the Labour party. From the chart, they started us on the precipitous downward path in around 1997 - perhaps they have some answers?

Huh! Me expecting solutions from Labour - they have nun.

• Options

Couple of choice paras:

[...]

I think Ed thought he'd win, and wanted to win. And fair enough too: he wasn't ever going to be leader if David had won. It's still his original sin though.

Come on David Miliband, come out and endorse Cameron for the GE.
    The thing I can't work out is how David Miliband is still in the top 4 favourites as next Lab leader.
  • Options
    isam said:

Less so by that tweet.

No. Some in the local party wanted a favoured son candidate but the NEC wisely imposed a shortlist that contained noone associated with the council. Good for Labour (as they are far more likely to retain the seat as a result) and good for Rotherham (because they got a fine MP who seems dedicated and who has campaigned strongly on child safety and other issues).

• Options
    edited February 2015
    On R4 at present is Margaret Hodge pontificating. A few of us remember the scandals of child abuse in Islington when she was its Labour Leader. Will the current Labour councillors in Rotherham fare as well?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Hodge#Child_abuse_controversy
  • Options

BenM said:

(a) What a ludicrous chart, going back to 1870 with no inflation-proofing AFAICS (b) We have a substantial surplus in exporting services. Why fetishise goods over services?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Neil said:

isam said:

Less so by that tweet.

No. Some in the local party wanted a favoured son candidate but the NEC wisely imposed a shortlist that contained noone associated with the council. Good for Labour (as they are far more likely to retain the seat as a result) and good for Rotherham (because they got a fine MP who seems dedicated and who has campaigned strongly on child safety and other issues).

She doesn't like it when other parties mention it though... and we found out today that many people involved in Rotherham child protection are now getting £90k pa to do the same job elsewhere

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Cost of living crisis

Poundland taking over rival 99p stores

That's just a recipe for inflation....
  • Options

Neil said:

Must run in the family.
  • Options
    Can I ask some of PB's more older seasoned posters, as I wasn't even a teenager in 1992.

If the Tories had lost the 1992 General Election, am I right in thinking John Major would have resigned, if so, who would have been the next Tory leader?

Michael Heseltine?
This discussion has been closed.