Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Liberals had held Montgomeryshire for more than a centu

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited February 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Liberals had held Montgomeryshire for more than a century – until Lembit sought re-election

At GE10 the incumbent MP who did worse than his party in any of the 650 seats was Lembit Opik in what for over a century had been a Liberal stronghold. At one stage during the last campaign you could have got 8/1 on the Tories taking the seat because it was seen as so much of a certainty.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    It's possible. It's not value at 5/2 on current polling in Wales.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited February 2015
    The Tories also took this seat in the Welsh election in 2011 on a huge swing, though.

Conservatives 43.7% +13.6%
    Liberal Democrats 33.6 -5.4%
    Labour 11.4% +4.5%
    Plaid Cymru 11.3% -2.5%

Swing: Lib->Con 9.5%

I'm not convinced the 2010 result was simply an anti-Lembit vote.
  • Options
    Have you seen the polling in Wales?

Last week the Yellow Peril were 6th behind the Welsh Nats and The Greens.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited February 2015
    antifrank said:

It's value given the history. Just not being Lembit is a strong selling point.

Voters elect individuals not parties or party leaders which is why Opik got booted out in 2010.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    0 out of the last 7 polls showing a Tory lead.

**** WAVES GOALPOSTS IN THE AIR *****
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    antifrank said:

I'm swerving this one too
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    I liked Lembit. I remember saying to him after he'd organise a debate on giant asteroids hitting the earth that people weren't taking him seriously even when he was serious and he needed to embrace some mainstream cause for a bit. He looked thoughtful and said hmm, yes, you're probably right. The next week, he announced his romance with the Cheeky Girl.
  • Options
    wumperwumper Posts: 35
    not a mention of the TNS poll, i wonder why!!!!
  • Options
    CORECTION The Liberals had held Montgomeryshire for all but 4 of the last 120 years – until Lembit sought re-election
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited February 2015
    FPT

RodCrosby said:

Evening all and I see another academic has built himself up to potentially be a laughing stock on 8th May.

Rod if you are still around, what is your present thought on the election outcome?

I have not settled completely on a view yet, other than.

Lab maj - OUT
    Con maj - Possible
    Con most seats - Likely
    Lab net loss of seats - Possible
    Thanks Rod, that says far more than most of the ivory towers academics who have been pontificating utter crap for several years.

I really wish all the polls published are adjusted to reflect their historical degree of inaccuracy. If Labour was truly leading in the polls, we wouldn't have the Shadow Cabinet rehearsing for Julius Caesar's final gathering of his closest friends.

Listening to Ed Bland today, he really doesn't understand the irony of him criticising people who engage in lawful tax avoidance when that is precisely what he and his family did to avoid inheritance tax on his father's estate.
    I don't like Miliband or Labour, but they didn't engage in tax avoidance, as I have pointed out ad nauseam.

They took advantage of Ralph's lawful tax allowance, by the lawful device of deed of variation.

No tax was in fact mitigated at the time, and may never be, as Mrs. Miliband has had 20 years to lawfully mitigate tax herself.

The manoeuvre they undertook has since been superceded by statue, in the 2008 Finance Act.
  • Options
    Just managed to catch up with Gordon Brown's speech in Edinburgh today.
    Is it just me or was that the biggest crock of shite?
    Vow++
    Vow^2
    Labour trying to be everything to everyman here... Not wanting to abandon the "shared benefits" of the union that they campaigned on during the referendum, they are left with the weak beer of additional powers to vary welfare - effectively Holyrood can lump in more cash, which won't cause any problems with the view of Scottish subsidy junkies. Add in the clusterfeck waiting to happen decoupling of housing benefit form universal credit, supposedly so they can Reverse The Bedroom Tax (tm).

All just comes across as back of the fag packet panic.

Is this really what Labour will stand on in Scotland?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    If this was anything like a "normal" year for the Lib Dems Mike would have a point. A frankly ridiculous candidate depressing a strong vote would normally lead to a come back with credible replacement. But this is not a "normal" year for the Lib Dems, it is not even close.
    They are going to lose half their seats give or take and a catastrophic number of deposits.

One day, if they survive, they might make a come back. It might even be 2020 when the minority tory party finally and irredeemably splits into 2 on an issue so few outside the party actually give a damn about. But it will not be 2015.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    RodCrosby said:
    » show previous quotes
    Ideally, if the Samplemiser was still around, we'd have a better idea. Failing that, we could pool the polls over some reasonable moving timeframe (a week) and derive standard errors from the larger sample, then work out the probabilities the Tory lead is greater than 0. We could then say, for example, if the probability was >0.025 or <0.975 there would be a degree of uncertainty about who was ahead...</p>

Time series and moving averages memories memories.

Bloody Hell and i have an applied statistics degree too, only a 2.2 though

Long time ago too mind.

Sheffield Poly. Herriot House. Funnily enough i do remember spending a lot of time in

http://www.theoldqueenshead.co.uk/history.html
  • Options

I liked Lembit. I remember saying to him after he'd organise a debate on giant asteroids hitting the earth that people weren't taking him seriously even when he was serious and he needed to embrace some mainstream cause for a bit. He looked thoughtful and said hmm, yes, you're probably right. The next week, he announced his romance with the Cheeky Girl.

LOL.

He's not dull, you have to give him that.
  • Options
    wumper said:

What TNS poll? They usually come out on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

• Options

He was the most improbable MP since Trebitsch-Lincoln. We should follow his career with interest to see where it leads.

I remember him at NUS conference 1986. In them days he got himself elected on what appeared indistinguishable from an Independent MLRP ticket...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

FPT

RodCrosby said:

Evening all and I see another academic has built himself up to potentially be a laughing stock on 8th May.

Rod if you are still around, what is your present thought on the election outcome?

Lab maj - OUT
    Con maj - Possible
    Con most seats - Likely
    Thanks Rod, that says far more than most of the ivory towers academics who have been pontificating utter crap for several years.

I really wish all the polls published are adjusted to reflect their historical degree of inaccuracy. If Labour was truly leading in the polls, we wouldn't have the Shadow Cabinet rehearsing for Julius Caesar's final gathering of his closest friends.

Listening to Ed Bland today, he really doesn't understand the irony of him criticising people who engage in lawful tax avoidance when that is precisely what he and his family did to avoid inheritance tax on his father's estate.
    I don't like Miliband or Labour, but they didn't engage in tax avoidance, as I have pointed out ad nauseam.

They took advantage of Ralph's lawful tax allowance, by the lawful device of deed of variation.

No tax was in fact mitigated at the time, and may never be, as Mrs. Miliband has had 20 years to lawfully mitigate tax herself.

The manoeuvre they undertook has since been superceded by statue, in the 2008 Finance Act.
    Surely the definition of tax avoidance is that it is legal, and legitimate, in that you exploit the tax code to minimise your tax bill. Which the Milibands did and which I have no problem with. If governments want to stop it, they should change the law. As simple as that.

Where labour are hypocrites is in criticising companies for minimising their tax bills using a corporation tax code largely put in place by the last - Labour - government.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited February 2015
    Lord Ashcroft in response to someone talking about his upcoming Scotland polling

LordAshcroft: @toryboypierce @SkyNews @Kevin_Maguire ....and what a poll it is...as I write it up....
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft is a bloody P.....tease
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

FPT

RodCrosby said:

Lab maj - OUT
    Con maj - Possible
    Con most seats - Likely

Surely the definition of tax avoidance is that it is legal, and legitimate, in that you exploit the tax code to minimise your tax bill. Which the Milibands did and which I have no problem with. If governments want to stop it, they should change the law. As simple as that.

Where labour are hypocrites is in criticising companies for minimising their tax bills using a corporation tax code largely put in place by the last - Labour - government.

Tax allowance - what Parliament gives you
    Tax avoidance - what Parliament didn't intend to give you, but is still lawful to exploit.
    Tax evasion - Theft

The Milibands took advantage of Ralph's IHT Tax Allowance. [he had forgotten to use it in his will]
  • Options
    wumper said:

If you know of a TNS poll published since the one with fieldwork 15-19 Jan, do tell.

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

RodCrosby said:

FPT

RodCrosby said:

Lab maj - OUT
    Con maj - Possible
    Con most seats - Likely

What's more, the Miliband boys decided that their communist father had got his will wrong and would have much preferred that his sons keep that percentage of his wealth, rather than to have it redistributed to the poor. I'm sure they're sure he'd be proud of them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    An actual LD gain on what will be a night of moderate to manic slaughter for them? Sounds hilarious, I hope it ends up being true.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    On topic you have to remember that Mick Bates, the Lib Dem Assembly member, was charged in 2010 with 3 counts of common assault. He subsequently resigned from the party. The Conservatives then won the seat in 2011.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

FPT

RodCrosby said:

Lab maj - OUT
    Con maj - Possible
    Con most seats - Likely

Tax avoidance - what Parliament didn't intend to give you, but is still lawful to exploit.
    Tax evasion - Theft

The Milibands took advantage of Ralph's IHT Tax Allowance. [he had forgotten to use it in his will]
    Not sure I follow. I was made redundant a few years ago and put enough of my redundancy payment into a pension to avoid paying higher rate tax. I would call that tax avoidance too, it's not a pejorative term.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited February 2015

antifrank said:

Voters elect individuals not parties or party leaders which is why Opik got booted out in 2010.
    That's only part of the story and is a bit simplistic. Yes on one level they place their crosses for a local candidate, but on another they're also thinking about who they want in Government, and especially which Prime Minister. As Neil Kinnock and many others have discovered.

p.s. I thought we're no longer allowed to use past polling performance for anything post 2010? 120 years worth, no less ;)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    LibDem gain - that ain't in the script. Earlier someone was suggesting Labour gains in Scotland - it's all getting very confusing!
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

FPT

RodCrosby said:

Lab maj - OUT
    Con maj - Possible
    Con most seats - Likely

Tax evasion - Theft

Not sure I follow. I was made redundant a few years ago and put enough of my redundancy payment into a pension to avoid paying higher rate tax. I would call that tax avoidance too, it's not a pejorative term.
    The Pension thing is sure an allowance explicitly granted by Parliament?
  • Options

LibDem gain - that ain't in the script. Earlier someone was suggesting Labour gains in Scotland - it's all getting very confusing!

Don't forget Con gain Bootle and Southampton Itchen
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

FPT

RodCrosby said:

Lab maj - OUT
    Con maj - Possible
    Con most seats - Likely

Tax evasion - Theft

An allowance to avoid tax. You don't have to take it.
  • Options

My guess is that Labour will have 2 gains in Scotland: East Dumbartonshire and Edinburgh West.

Rather more losses though.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Well it is. But how do you draw a line between something as obvious as that, and "what Parliament didn't intend to give you, but is still lawful to exploit"? Something is either legal or not.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

My guess is that Labour will have 2 gains in Scotland: East Dumbartonshire and Edinburgh West.

Surely Labour will stop targeting these two seats when they are more concerned about holding what they have?
  • Options
    edited February 2015

An allowance to mitigate tax. Parliament says explicitly "we don't want your money, so utilize this allowance."

If you don't, you're either St Francis of Assisi, or you need a better accountant...

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

DavidL said:

Surely Labour will stop targeting these two seats when they are more concerned about holding what they have?
    East Dunbartonshire may well be easier to dain than Dundee West to hold.
  • Options

I would call that embracing a mainstream cause.

• Options

DavidL said:

I think these seats will fall into Labour's lap on a "last man standing" principle as Lib Dem support collapses. The tories have (lesser) hopes for Kincardine and Berwickshire on the same basis. All that is needed is that your vote falls a bit less than the other guy.

There may well be enough Lib Dem cake for everyone which is why I find talk of gains fanciful.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Just managed to catch up with Gordon Brown's speech in Edinburgh today.
    Is it just me or was that the biggest crock of shite?
    Vow++
    Vow^2
    Labour trying to be everything to everyman here... Not wanting to abandon the "shared benefits" of the union that they campaigned on during the referendum, they are left with the weak beer of additional powers to vary welfare - effectively Holyrood can lump in more cash, which won't cause any problems with the view of Scottish subsidy junkies. Add in the clusterfeck waiting to happen decoupling of housing benefit form universal credit, supposedly so they can Reverse The Bedroom Tax (tm).

All just comes across as back of the fag packet panic.

Is this really what Labour will stand on in Scotland?

Labour in Scotland don't have a choice. They've backed themselves into a corner but their position in England makes any meaningful extension of Devolution utterly impossible. It is obvious to everyone that the only solution to the Scottish Question is Full Fiscal Autonomy.

But FFA by default requires EVEL at least or abolition of the Labour Benefits System better known as the House of Lords to turn the commons into an English parliament and a replacement for the Lords to deal with "Federal" matters.

Labour have no logical way to turn but because politics seldom has any basis in logic, they will twist and turn and lie and repeat the same desperate political moves only months apart. It's only 10 days since Labour in Scotland were all over the papers claiming "THE VOW HAS BEEN DELIVERED".

No people, regardless of party loyalty are that stupid. No-one will accept such a blatant volte face inside 10 days.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Well it is. But how do you draw a line between something as obvious as that, and "what Parliament didn't intend to give you, but is still lawful to exploit"? Something is either legal or not.
    Well, either Parliament closes the "loophole", or HMRC won't wear it, leaving you in the difficult and expensive position of having to appeal, or pay the tax.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

East Dunbartonshire may well be easier to dain than Dundee West to hold.
    Agreed but Labour were out with a stall on Saturday. They have not given up on Dundee West yet. I was being told they are getting a lot of tactical votes but then they would tell me that wouldn't they? I am going to make up my mind when I see the Ashcroft polling. If it is irredeemably lost I will vote tory.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    RodCrosby said:

An allowance to mitigate tax. Parliament says explicitly "we don't want your money, so utilize this allowance."

If you don't, you're either St Francis of Assisi, or you need a better accountant...

And companies hire accountants and lawyers who tell them the best way to mitigate their tax bill, then the board have to approve it as they have to do the best for their shareholders.

While the law says it's ok, it's ok. Did Ed propose changing the relevant tax laws while he worked in the treasury?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

wumper said:

If you know of a TNS poll published since the one with fieldwork 15-19 Jan, do tell.

There've been a few comments about a TNS poll supposedly putting Labour 11% ahead. I've found no reputable source for this.

What it may be about is a poll for Womans' Hour, which gives Labour an 11% lead as best understanding the issues, among parents with children.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

DavidL said:

A bigger problem is that Labour don't have the resources to target any seat, target or existing. A quick look at the photos of their constituency campaign teams starting out which appear on twitter almost invariably shows between 5 and 8 people, of which at least a couple are kids, making up their campaign team photo ops.

I'm surprised they're not too embarrassed to post them. Perhaps that makes its own comment on the level of self-delusion found amongst Labour's members in Scotland.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Well, either Parliament closes the "loophole", or HMRC won't wear it, leaving you in the difficult and expensive position of having to appeal, or pay the tax.
    My point was, if it's legal, it's legal. You should not be criticised for it, at least not by a government that allows it to remain legal.

IMO governments do not seem to be proactive enough about seeking out "loopholes" in the tax system, investigating them, determining whether they have an intended effect, and if not, introducing legislation to close them. The tax affairs of all high net worth individuals and large corporations that are paying less tax than their assets and/or known income suggest should be the case, should be looked into as a matter of routine.

But then in the UK, governments do not routinely seek out the bits that are going wrong and use them as evidence of systemic failure. They prefer to hide them from public gaze.

• Options
    Dair said:

DavidL said:

A bigger problem is that Labour don't have the resources to target any seat, target or existing. A quick look at the photos of their constituency campaign teams start out which appear on twitter almost invariably shows between 5 and 8 people, of which at least a couple are kids, making up their campaign team photo ops.

I'm surprised they're not too embarrassed to post them. Perhaps that's makes its own comment on the level of self-delusion found amongst Labour's members in Scotland.
    During the Indyref, the Nats kept on posting pics of Better Together stalls having 2 old biddies in contrast to Yes Scotland's mahoosive turnout.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Well the courts take the view that Tax Avoidance is legal.
  • Options
    Ken Livingstone retweeted
    Simon Fletcher ‏@fletchersimon 1m1 minute ago
    RT @labourpress: Ridiculous Mail splash tonight. They have revealed a Tory peer is attacking Labour. Shock.
  • Options
    Not a chance. Glyn Davies is a popular character who runs one of Wales' most popular political blogs: 'A View from Rural Wales'. He's also well-regarded as an independent, non-partisan and witty character, who is respected locally. That's before you even get onto the first time incumbency bonus and the fact it's the Liberal Democrats in second.

I wouldn't be tempted at 4/1.
  • Options
    There's a YouGov Scotland in the Times.

No figures yet, but Lab set to lose 30 seats
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    So Labour hate Boots and M&S

Awesome.
  • Options

Dair said:

DavidL said:

A bigger problem is that Labour don't have the resources to target any seat, target or existing. A quick look at the photos of their constituency campaign teams start out which appear on twitter almost invariably shows between 5 and 8 people, of which at least a couple are kids, making up their campaign team photo ops.

I'm surprised they're not too embarrassed to post them. Perhaps that's makes its own comment on the level of self-delusion found amongst Labour's members in Scotland.
    During the Indyref, the Nats kept on posting pics of Better Together stalls having 2 old biddies in contrast to Yes Scotland's mahoosive turnout.
    And undoubtedly the Yes campaign had an impact. They moved the support for Independence from a historic 25% to 45% over the campaign with the possibility that it was ahead in the last two weeks before the media onslaught showed that Old Media can still have an edge when focused and overwhelming.

Either the Yes Scotland campaign message was so coherent and effective in terms of Future Scotland and it's press coverage or all those people on the ground had an obvious and profound impact.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    edited February 2015
    Sean_F said:

wumper said:

There've been a few comments about a TNS poll supposedly putting Labour 11% ahead. I've found no reputable source for this.

What it may be about is a poll for Womans' Hour, which gives Labour an 11% lead as best understanding the issues, among parents with children.
    There's a tns with raw VI figures of 37% lab vs 27% con on their website as far as I can tell but I'm not an expert on how these things work.
  • Options
    SNP 48%, Lab 27%
  • Options

Dair said:

DavidL said:

I bow to the many on this site who have vastly greater experience but in my limited experience being in a campaign group as large as 8 is immensely frustrating involving far too much walking and not nearly enough talking. Groups of 4 with 3 knockers and a collator are much better.
  • Options
    Ken Livingstone ‏@ken4london 2m2 minutes ago
    .@Ed_Miliband is clearly doing a lot right to get this level of abuse from the Tory press. If you want to make them more angry, vote Labour
  • Options

SNP 48%, Lab 27%

when was the fieldwork?
  • Options

SNP 48%, Lab 27%

when was the fieldwork?
    They haven't published that yet.
  • Options

.@Ed_Miliband is clearly doing a lot right to get this level of abuse from the Tory press. If you want to make them more angry, vote Labour

Exactly - I can't on the face of it see a lot to like but he seems to be making a lot of the right people angry so there must be something to it :)
  • Options
    In October, the YouGov Scotland poll, the SNP had a 16% lead.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

I always thought it was us dumb proletariat that suffered from false consciousness.
  • Options
    This is why Glyn Davies will be re-elected.

How many other MPs bother (voluntarily) to actually consult those who they were elected to represent, before casting their vote?

"Last summer, the House of Commons was recalled following the gassing of innocent civilians by the Syrian President, Bashar al-Assad. At the time, I anticipated being asked by the Prime Minister to support a military strike on Damascus. I emailed those constituents I was able to, inviting opinions on what they considered to be the best way forward. Most of the replies reinforced my personal view that the case for military action had not been made. I could not see how it would improve the position. I and many other like-minded Conservatives informed the government of our opinion and the motion finally put to the recalled House of Commons after much negotiation did not sanction a military strike. I considered the final motion to be acceptable and was very disappointed when it was defeated. It felt to me that the UK, a leading NATO country was turning its back on the world, an act that would only encourage those with evil intent. The reality was that the UK and the US did stand back, and have allowed events in the Middle East to play out as they have done. The current position is far more worrying than it was last year.

This email once again shares with you the decision I may face in the near future. It's rumoured that there may be a sudden recall of Parliament this week or next to consider becoming involved in air strikes against ISIL, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. At this stage, we do not know what military action would be involved. However I would expect it to involve air strikes against ISIL, though perhaps not in Syria and not involving troops on the ground. This, of course, may change.

This time, I am personally more inclined to support military involvement. The scale of ISIL's advance, its incredible brutality, its mass killings and beheadings, and threat it poses to us here in the UK seem to me to be increasingly serious. At this stage I feel we cannot continue to turn our backs on what is happening. It is important that I keep in touch with my constituents’ views on such an emotive and controversial issue. Entering military conflict is an extremely serious matter, full of uncertainty, and it seems right that I should invite my constituents to share any thoughts they have on the matter."
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Exactly - I can't on the face of it see a lot to like but he seems to be making a lot of the right people angry so there must be something to it :)
    My theory is that the level of anger is more in desperation that despite Ed M being so seemingly poor, he is still more likely to win, rather than actual worry that he is saying the right things.
  • Options
    0 out of the last 8 polls with Tory lead. Labour 2% in front.

Basiliscious!
  • Options
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by two: CON 33, LAB 35, LD 7, UKIP 14, GRN 6
  • Options

There's a YouGov Scotland in the Times.

No figures yet, but Lab set to lose 30 seats

I wondered if someone would nip in front of Ashcroft whilst he procrastinates.
  • Options
    Any bets on whether Audrey Anne is going to revise her polling window to march?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Hmmmm....

Looks like a minor (very minor) uptick in Labour's standing, but can't figure out why it should be.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited February 2015
    Boo!! We want another crossover... it's such a tease.

In the meantime, I hope Labour will find someone in business who they are happy to listen to rather than to Cantona kick them...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    Bit of mumble on the TNS poll but no VI

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31089739
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Socrates (previous thread) Any cuts in spending made by Obama have largely due to the GOP takeover of Congress, Reagan cut spending to 21.5% from the 22.2% he inherited from Carter
    http://cnsnews.com/blog/terence-p-jeffrey/obama-fdr-set-modern-records-gdp-spending

In any case, Obama has now made clear he wants an end to 'mindless austerity'
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31097854
  • Options
    Waiting for Spurs to sign Ed M - we like leaders of the line who constantly miss the open goal...
  • Options

Basiliscious!

Just you wait, people will find out that Ed M is crap at some point - I don't think it's been mentioned before - and then things will change in significant enough fashion to matter.

That being said, being serious no-one ever believes me round my way when I say I think the math favours Labour, so I could end up looking really stupid if he loses.
  • Options
    Good to see that RodCrosby's fabled forecast of consistent Tory polling leads by January has come to pass.

As accurate as his histories of WWII !
  • Options
    On the other hand the LibDems popularity with the electorate does not indicate that they are likely to make any gains in May and are instead looking at considerable losses. That is, in my opinion, a very shaky gamble.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited February 2015

It's 21% now... What were the relative figures in Oct? Is the movement entirely Lab>SNP or are others benefiting too?
  • Options
    Tonights YG Boots Billionaire Booer Bounce still in play - EICIPM (2.42 betfair)

Tomorrow maybe Rose rebound (or not)
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Any bets on whether Audrey Anne is going to revise her polling window to march?

Yes, sure, I'll take a bet on that with you if you like?

Quite happy with the Cons share at the moment, but I'm trying to keep my preferences out. The algorithm will be applied after this week's polling regardless of what they produce.
  • Options
    Much more importantly, are we finally just about to shift Adebayor? 25 mins to go.
  • Options
    isam said:

Bit of mumble on the TNS poll but no VI

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31089739

Wonder why, given their relentless attacks on miliband, they wouldn't play up a poll giving his party a considerable lead?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,823
    Certainly not great polls for Con today...
  • Options

It's 21% now... What were the relative figures in Oct? Is the movement entirely Lab>SNP or are others benefiting too?
    I made a mistake, the last YouGov Scotland poll, had SNP 47% and Lab on 27%, so SNP +1, Lab no change
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Yes, I think we have enough now to say small move back to Lab over the last 5 days.

But it doesn't look as if the Con rating has fallen - instead it looks like a small rise in Lab rating.
  • Options
    Excluding won't votes, don't knows and refuseds, the figures are:
    (Base = 518)
    Conservative 28%
    Labour 39%
    UKIP 14%
    Lib Dem 4%
    Green 8%
    Others 7%
    Fieldwork was January 23rd - 26th
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    With TNS, I can't see a table with don't knows removed.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

This is why Glyn Davies will be re-elected.

How many other MPs bother (voluntarily) to actually consult those who they were elected to represent, before casting their vote?

I did just that (an email to the 8% of constituents whose addresses I then had) as well coming to a public meeting called by the Stop the War Coalition and debating with Alan Simpson, before deciding to support the Iraq operation. There was a clear majority of constituents in favour at the time (as there was in the national polls by the time of decision). We were, I now think, wrong, but I didn't just absent-mindedly wander into the Yes lobby.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Basiliscious!

Just you wait, people will find out that Ed M is crap at some point - I don't think it's been mentioned before - and then things will change in significant enough fashion to matter.

That being said, being serious no-one ever believes me round my way when I say I think the math favours Labour, so I could end up looking really stupid if he loses.
    Don't forget according to some plank on The Scum, January was always going to be the crossover month according to their contact in the Tory Campaign nest.

That is nothing compared to the PB Hodges though, January was the pulling away month.

......and yet again, they have fallen down the polling crossover hill.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

Hmmmm....

Looks like a minor (very minor) uptick in Labour's standing, but can't figure out why it should be.

Mike thinks it is do with a minor fading of the Greens.
  • Options

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by two: CON 33, LAB 35, LD 7, UKIP 14, GRN 6

Mori/ARSE Gold Standard?

Any PB Tories think 1.63 Cameron PM might have been a bit short.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Last few polls,not good for the tories,even with Ed going through a political shit storm.
  • Options
    All labour need now are a few more billionaire tax dodgers saying how bad they are for the country and they'll be back to omnishambles territory ;)
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited February 2015
    HYUFD said:

Socrates (previous thread) Any cuts in spending made by Obama have largely due to the GOP takeover of Congress

What rubbish. The cuts in spending I showed were from US Federal Healthcare spending, which were exempted from the cuts agreed with the GOP Congress. The fiscal savings in healthcare were entirely due to Obamacare, which the GOP unanimously voted against. The Republican party specifically opposed the Medicare changes as "throwing grandma over a cliff".

As for Reagan, the numbers only look there because GDP grew as a result of Volcker curbing the inflation beast during the Carter years. He still spent like a maniac:

http://www.truthfulpolitics.com/images/us-government-size-spending-by-president.jpg

The deficit graph says it all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_States_public_debt#mediaviewer/File:US_Federal_Debt_as_Percent_of_GDP_by_President.jpg
  • Options

(Base = 518)
    Conservative 28%
    Labour 39%
    UKIP 14%
    Lib Dem 4%
    Green 8%
    Others 7%
    SWINGBACKTASTIC!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,823

(Base = 518)
    Conservative 28%
    Labour 39%
    UKIP 14%
    Lib Dem 4%
    Green 8%
    Others 7%
    Ed Miliband in with a 128 seat landslide...

#sayingnothing

• Options
    Owen Jones ‏@OwenJones84 8m8 minutes ago
    94 more days of businessmen who don’t want to pay more tax saying life on Earth will end if Labour wins the election
  • Options

Not good. I found the Ashcroft poll today, showing a majority of swing voters now think the country is on the wrong path, instructive.

It reinforces my view that the Conservatives have simply failed to provide leadership and take their case to the country and win the political arguments.

They spend most of their time being buffeted by the seven winds: either acquiescing to the consensus of the New Labour years, or apologising for when they have to do something vaguely economically right of centre.
  • Options

Last few polls,not good for the tories,even with Ed going through a political shit storm.

Your man Andy Sawford is looking nailed on :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    JWisemann said:

All labour need now are a few more billionaire tax dodgers saying how bad they are for the country and they'll be back to omnishambles territory ;)

What we need is a tax dodging Tory donor, with some dodgy financial history to have a pop at Miliband.

**** Sits back eating popcorn ****
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

(Base = 518)
    Conservative 28%
    Labour 39%
    UKIP 14%
    Lib Dem 4%
    Green 8%
    Others 7%
    Ed Miliband in with a 128 seat landslide...

#sayingnothing

Ed is abominably shite is PM.
  • Options

(Base = 518)
    Conservative 28%
    Labour 39%
    UKIP 14%
    Lib Dem 4%
    Green 8%
    Others 7%
    SWINGBACKTASTIC!
    Even I think thats Bollox.

If its included in Feb polling average its going to make CROSSSOVVVERRR difficult
This discussion has been closed.