Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is Lord Ashcroft the reason Nick Clegg is still leading the

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited January 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is Lord Ashcroft the reason Nick Clegg is still leading the Lib Dems?

One of most striking things of this parliament, is the Lib Dems’ unshakeable calm whilst the national opinion polls suggest in May the Lib Dems are headed for an epochal defeat that may end up being a modern Charge of the Light Brigade.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    First. Maybe.
  • Options
    I genuinely don't get the sense that LibDem activists or MPs know strongly enough what they want to force Clegg out.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Indeed. I used to be jolly critical of Lord Ashcroft, but first his intervention triggered a flood of donations to my 2010 campaign, and then his more recent polls showed me well ahead and LibDems out of the race, helping reinforce tactical support. An excellent chap, on reflection - won't hear a word against him.

(Unless he does another poll showing something different, of course, in which case he can resume his Demon King status.)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited January 2015
    Thank you HenryGManson for your 33/1 tip

Labour shadow cabinet minister Sadiq Khan has made a huge leap forward in the race to become his party’s candidate for Mayor, a YouGov poll reveals today.

The survey carried out earlier this month shows the shadow justice secretary now has more backing amongst Labour supporters than any potential candidate bar frontrunner Tessa Jowell.

Mr Khan, also shadow London minister, was in a distant fourth place in a similar survey conducted before Christmas.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/sadiq-khan-enjoys-huge-poll-boost-in-labour-mayoral-race-10010179.html
  • Options
    On topic, I get the feeling I'm going to make John Rentoul's QTWTAIN list, again.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @michaelsavage: The executive council of the Unite union has agreed today to donate £1.5 million to the Labour Party’s campaign funds.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    MOTD! Three more years! Though I wouldn't have hated ITV now that Adrian Chiles has been given the boot.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    This is the worst bit of the Sky News investigation I think:

But Sky News has learned that hundreds more cases were known to authorities prior to its publication and that hundreds more are being reported.

"Risky Business didn't make all this up. It was accused of making it all up and Alexis Jay exonerated all of that."

The report found Risky Business was seen by the borough's social care services "as something of a nuisance".

Risky Business was shut down in 2011 and victims have expressed frustration that a recent application to set up a new support group has been turned down by the council despite recommendations in the Jay report.

The local authorities were clearly hoping the report exorcised the demons and are now getting back to covering up. Meanwhile no investigations at all are going on in Keighley and Ipswich and Tower Hamlets. And central government doesn't do anything about it, feeling it's a local matter. The child rape of tens of thousands of victims in dozens of towns is a local issue.
  • Options
    Good article, TSE!

Greens yet to make that vital crossover against the Yellows!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

On topic, I get the feeling I'm going to make John Rentoul's QTWTAIN list, again.

Mike just said earlier today that it was site policy to make a statement in the headline, rather than to ask a question. I think you should amend the headline to "Why Nick Clegg has Lord Ashcroft to thank for keeping his job".

Otherwise you risk being sent to the naughty corner!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/politics/chron-reader-panel-poll-reveals-nigel-farage-and-david-cameron-are-neck-and-neck-as-people-s-choice-for-prime-minister-1-6549117

I'm not clever enough to work out if this is a voodoo poll or not, but for a marginal the numbers are quite sobering for the left.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    I wish I was a sanguine about Lord A's polling.First of all there is no verification /history of this metyhod of consysuency polling.Second in the 2010 GE when Lib dems were polling strongly, actual UNS v 2005 was a very accurate forecast of seat numbers obtained.
  • Options
    The child rape of tens of thousands of victims in dozens of towns is a local issue.

You need to calm down. Nothing will happen until UKIP start winning elections in these areas. You should take some of your highly impressive energy and passion, stick on a purple rosette and start knocking on doors in these towns
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Approaching a problem from the opposite angle to Shadsy...

I make Labour's 326th seat, by best bookmaker odds, Somerset North East.

At 15/8 (as is Calder Valley).

They are 12.0 to win a majority on betfair.

Go figure.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Another reason is Eastleigh which gave them the belief that they can hang on against a weakened Tory machine
  • Options
    The downplaying in action

In October the Mail told how an internal West Midlands Police problem profile from 2012 had shown 75 per cent of known on-street groomers in the West Midlands were Asian, with 82 per cent of victims aged 14 to 16 being white. A report to Sandwell Safeguarding Children Board in 2013 had revealed: “Intelligence suggests that of potential suspects identified, 75 per cent of those known are of Asian ethnicity. This has mirrored other forces’ experiences of known offenders and, as we have seen from the Derbyshire, Lancashire and Rochdale cases, has the potential to impact on trust and confidence within local communities across the West Midlands.”

...Yet Birmingham City Council had played down the ethnicity link when it published its own report into CSE in November, called We Need To Get It Right. It stated: “The high-profile cases have largely drawn explicit attention to the girls being ‘white’ and the perpetrators ‘Asian’. Our evidence has shouted out that the exploitation can happen to anybody irrespective of where you live or your family circumstances.’’

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/revealed-disproportionately-high-numbers-pakistani-8439716
  • Options

Go figure.

I tempted to do a thread listing all these apparent contradictory prices.
  • Options
    Had Lord Ashcroft been more interested in historic country houses than political polling then we might today be mulling the latest of dozens of happy National Trust press releases extolling the benefits that have accrued to the nation from his generosity.

As it is, pb.com has benefited from his rather idiosyncratic interest in political polling, and making the results of these expensive polls publicly available. For myself, personally, I can only thank him, but I think Nick Clegg was right to question the influence that one person could have, solely because of the concentration of wealth in that one person.

If wealth were more evenly distributed across the country you would have a more democratic allocation of funds to such idiosyncratic interests, and the public life of the nation would not be so strongly influenced by the whims of one individual.

We might, on pb.com, have had to consider subscribing funds from amongst ourselves in order to fund such polling, rather than being merely the grateful [indirect] recipients of Ashcroft's largesse.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,328
    edited January 2015

Another reason is Eastleigh which gave them the belief that they can hang on against a weakened Tory machine

"We'll always have Eastleigh!"

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/555059758148120576
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited January 2015
    taffys said:

You need to calm down. Nothing will happen until UKIP start winning elections in these areas. You should take some of your highly impressive energy and passion, stick on a purple rosette and start knocking on doors in these towns

Well said, clearly you are passionate about the issue Socrates, and UKIP seem to be the only credible party willing to call a spade a spade. Someone as articulate as yourself should join the party and campaign in these areas on this issue on their behalf. It is at least one way to change things. Given the small nature of UKIP, you may even get some national coverage of the issue if areas where it has been an issue start to turn purple.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Excellent thread TSE, but then I like you (i.e. agree with you) ;) No, joking apart it's excellent.

One quibble: September isn't recent and they were polled before the Green surge and Tories began to get into gear: in fact at the height of the UKIP surge.

You don't think by any chance Clegg is going for self-immolation in exchange for an EU commissioner post or HoL?
  • Options
    We should also remember today’s political opponents, may soon become tomorrow’s allies.

[Caveat: Other than TPD Mark Reckless who will remain an enemy until the ends of time and/or Spurs winning the PL whichever is the later]
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

While I'm not as bleak about Lib Dem prospects as Robert is, even the best local machine can't entirely defy political gravity. Lord Ashcroft's polling suggest something like 8-11 seats being lost to the Conservatives. If that were the case, it would amount to a net loss of 22-25 seats over the course of three elections.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited January 2015
    I'm sure the Lib Dems do their own private constituency polling as well. It was said on Lib Dem Voice that naming candidates boosted Lib Dem MPs further.

http://www.libdemvoice.org/latest-ashcroft-polls-of-lib-dem-seats-mp-incumbency-protects-party-in-10-out-of-13-constituencies-43550.html
  • Options
    Socrates said:

West Midlands Police … disproportionately-high-numbers-pakistani-8439716

FFS can't you take your continual off topic racial and religious rants somewhere else?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

Socrates said:

FFS can't you take your continual off topic racial and religious rants somewhere else?
    Why don't you stop trying to be the arbiter of what should and shouldn't be on here?
  • Options
    rogerh said:

I wish I was a sanguine about Lord A's polling.First of all there is no verification /history of this metyhod of consysuency polling.Second in the 2010 GE when Lib dems were polling strongly, actual UNS v 2005 was a very accurate forecast of seat numbers obtained.

Yep. And someone mentioned Angus Reid this morning which I thought pertinent. Lord A may be many things but he is, as you say, untried and untested in this area. He was also inaccurate by 17% at Middleton and Heywood. Would you base your life savings on that when every other indicator screams something else? I wouldn't.
  • Options
    "I'm not really sure what societal attitudes are meant to be challenged. So far as a I can tell, most people have a fairly reasonable attitude over what constitutes rape.

I don't think there are many juries who would acquit because "she was wearing a short skirt" or "she's a slut."" ~ @Sean_F I think (?) replies got a bit confused.

Well there are three things we might want to align (1) charging/investigation policy (2) the law and (3) societal attitudes as reflected in jury decisions.

While I'm worried that changes in (1) might lead to more cases going to trial where the legal test isn't met, this doesn't reflect a problem with (3). I honestly don't know whether (2) is aligned properly with (3).

The DPP clearly thinks that as well as (1) not according with (2), (3) doesn't either - I infer that (1) and (3) are linked in her mind because members of the CPS and police are the public just like juries.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,634
    Isn't Clegg's survival maily down to the main leadership contenders all preferring a post-GE contest so that they can make a fresh start and not have any of the stench of defeat associated with them?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Does it make any difference to a prosecution what race the perpetrators are? It's rape of young girls - if you were to concentrate just on Asian offenders then, going by your figures, you'd miss 25% of the perpetrators.

I tend to think there is a connection with the other discussion about rape, and what constitutes consent, and that is at least as big a reason as to why nothing has been done. The police have viewed these working class girls as fallen girls who have brought it upon themselves.

They don't have the middle class pretty photos for the press that more publicised young girls who have been victims have had.
  • Options
    isam said:

Socrates said:

Why don't you stop trying to be the arbiter of what should and shouldn't be on here?
    It's not like Socrates is arguing over the toss of a sixpence, is it?

he's entitled to his opinion on a controversial, important and politically decisive issue.
  • Options
    Isam - he drones on day in, day out about the same tedious off-topic stuff and the thread was barely a minute old.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Which seat will see the biggest swing in Scotland - judging by bookie's odds (And the big turnout, big yes vote - West Dunbartonshire must be favourite)

But I do wonder if James Gordon Brown's seat may well see a bigger than average (And the average will be quite something) swing to the SNP - I reckon he had a massive personal vote there.
  • Options
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/libdems-need-to-win-45-seats-for-clegg-to-stay-on-as-leader-10011033.html

" a senior Liberal Democrat claimed today. The respected figure argued that fewer would make it impossible to join a governing coalition, predicting that the Lib-Dem leader would “fall on his sword”. The unnamed politician went on to praise Health minister Norman Lamb as a potential future leader."
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Which seat will see the biggest swing in Scotland - judging by bookie's odds (And the big turnout, big yes vote - West Dunbartonshire must be favourite)

But I do wonder if James Gordon Brown's seat may well see a bigger than average (And the average will be quite something) swing to the SNP - I reckon he had a massive personal vote there.

I think I'd make Kirkcaldy favourite on such a market.

Sedgefield had a 12.6% swing to Con in 2010, and Folkestone (whilst not really comparable) had a 3.6% Con --> LD swing.
  • Options

Isam - he drones on day in, day out about the same tedious off-topic stuff and the thread was barely a minute old.

If nobody is interested in a topic of conversation they can ignore the posts and it won't come to dominate a thread.

The reason such topics come to dominate the threads is because people are interested/do care and so engage in the discussion.

You can change the subject by providing something more interesting/important to talk about. Droning on about your distrust of the Ashcroft marginal polls - again - is not going to do it.
  • Options

If I was paranoid I'd think that post was about me rather than a reply to me!
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Socrates said:

FFS can't you take your sanctimonious hand-waving away of child rape somewhere else?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited January 2015
    I think that Nick Clegg is still leader for two reasons:

1. It won't make any difference unless the LDs also break the coalition (which has its own problems).

2. No-one else wants to catch the falling knife in May this year.

• Options

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/libdems-need-to-win-45-seats-for-clegg-to-stay-on-as-leader-10011033.html

" a senior Liberal Democrat claimed today. The respected figure argued that fewer would make it impossible to join a governing coalition, predicting that the Lib-Dem leader would “fall on his sword”. The unnamed politician went on to praise Health minister Norman Lamb as a potential future leader."

Well that's Clegg gone then.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2015
    One of the very big questions about the Ashcroft constituency polling is whether the second of the two-part voting-intention questions (i.e. the one which invites the respondent to think about his or her constituency) is a better indicator than the first question. The differences are sometimes astonishingly high.

It's an article of faith amongst some on here that it must be the case that the second question is the one to take notice of. However, the evidence for this is weak to non-existent. We just don't know.

Personally I'm somewhat sceptical. I'm also very wary of giving too much credence to the differences in swing which Lord A is finding in different constituencies. Some of those differences are undoubtedly pure statistical noise, and some might be caused by the difficulty of weighting individual constituency polls.

Caveat punter.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    isam said:

Socrates said:

A general comment is that people who post about the same subject on every thread tend to be skipped, which means that if they have a new point to make, people may not see it. It's like sending a daily email on the same subject to all constituents - however thoughtful the contents, it provokes an "oh not him again" reaction.
  • Options
    Clegg relinquishing the leadership between May 8th and 31st December 2014 would be splendid.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Sounds like an anti-Farronite :-) In all seriousness, isn't TF a 1/2 shot rather than 5/4?

NB list of Lib Dems at shorter than 1/4 to hold their seats:

Tim Farron W. and Lonsdale 1/16 A. Carmichael O. and Shetland 1/14 Norman Lamb Norfolk North 1/8 Don Foster Bath 1/7 Vincent Cable Twickenham 1/5 Bob Russell Colchester 2/9 Norman Baker Lewes 2/9

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I also note audreyanne has accused me of "religious ranting"? Where on Earth have I mentioned religion in either this thread or the previous one, let alone droned on about it?

This is exactly the sort of silencing of the issue that PC types like audrey attempt in order to close down discussion of uncomfortable facts. "Just shut up about all those thousands of children being raped - it's not important and you're a bigot for bringing it up."
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    More Lib Dem candidates: Stewart Golton (Elmet and Rothwell), Finbarr Cronin (Wakefield), and Robert Adamson ( Yorkshire East).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Clegg relinquishing the leadership between May 8th and 31st December 2014 would be splendid.

Bit late for that: http://todaysdate.com/
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    FPT.

Grandiose said:
    » show previous quotes
    I don't know if you remember Socrates but a few months ago I said I was giving DC the benefit of the doubt about this.

My patience is fading.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I don't know how you can believe anything Dave Cameron says. From Pasties, (small lies, but not harmless) to the EU, (large lies and definitely harmful), the man cannot simply tell the truth.
  • Options

isam said:

Socrates said:

A general comment is that people who post about the same subject on every thread tend to be skipped, which means that if they have a new point to make, people may not see it. It's like sending a daily email on the same subject to all constituents - however thoughtful the contents, it provokes an "oh not him again" reaction.
    That must be why you haven't told us how good the canvassing has been for a while ;-)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Pulpstar said:

That would indeed be a miracle. Time travel has arrived on PB. ;)
  • Options

Socrates said:

Does it make any difference to a prosecution what race the perpetrators are? It's rape of young girls - if you were to concentrate just on Asian offenders then, going by your figures, you'd miss 25% of the perpetrators.

I tend to think there is a connection with the other discussion about rape, and what constitutes consent, and that is at least as big a reason as to why nothing has been done. The police have viewed these working class girls as fallen girls who have brought it upon themselves.

They don't have the middle class pretty photos for the press that more publicised young girls who have been victims have had.
    Some of these girls were as young as 11. There is no grey area here as there is with adults drinking alcohol. They were children raped by much older men.

I'm not asking for the government to concentrate on just Asian offenders. What I'm asking for is for them not to pretend there isn't a specific issue with men of Pakistani heritage in street grooming cases, and for there to be a national investigation on street grooming. If non-Asian rapists get caught and convicted in that, I would be delighted that those scumbags also get thrown in a cell.
  • Options
    Top post Richard and I think the caveat punter really applies here, as this is a betting site. I'm very edgy at the best of times about individual constituency polling. In fact the only times I've had my fingers properly burnt in political betting has been through them, despite being based on what I thought was top inside knowledge, feedback and polling. Over reliance on Lord A's polling from last summer / autumn is fraught with so many dangers from a betting POV. I'm not even sure more recent polling by him will necessarily help. As you say there are serious issues about weighting in individual constituency polls, perhaps illustrated by his 17% error in last year's H&M by election.

Caveat punter secundus
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    @NickPalmer

I post on the same issue again and again because it's a national outrage that the mainstream media (with the exception of the Times) has almost entirely dodged and the political class has completely failed in.

But it's good to know you read topics on thousands of child rapes not being investigated and think "Boooring! Next topic please!"
  • Options

Labour shadow cabinet minister Sadiq Khan has made a huge leap forward in the race to become his party’s candidate for Mayor, a YouGov poll reveals today.

The survey carried out earlier this month shows the shadow justice secretary now has more backing amongst Labour supporters than any potential candidate bar frontrunner Tessa Jowell.

Mr Khan, also shadow London minister, was in a distant fourth place in a similar survey conducted before Christmas.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/sadiq-khan-enjoys-huge-poll-boost-in-labour-mayoral-race-10010179.html

Another great tip from Henry, for which I am duly thankful.

Betting aside, I'd be very unlikely to vote for TJ. In fact if she stands I would say Labour have every chance of losing. The other Parties would only have to put up a half decent candidate to be in with a real shout.

I see Lord Coe has ruled himself out. I'd make SK a fairly clear favorite now in the circumstances.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Go figure.

But it's only Labour's 326th seat providing Scotland remains a Labour fiefdom.

The serfs there are revolting, it seems...

You might do better looking for "Labour's 366th seat."
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Some of these girls were as young as 11. There is no grey area here as there is with adults drinking alcohol. They were children raped by much older men.

I'm not asking for the government to concentrate on just Asian offenders. What I'm asking for is for them not to pretend there isn't a specific issue with men of Pakistani heritage in street grooming cases, and for there to be a national investigation on street grooming. If non-Asian rapists get caught and convicted in that, I would be delighted that those scumbags also get thrown in a cell.
    I haven't read about this as much as you have, but what I don't understand is that you sometimes link to reports of court cases where the members of such gangs have been convicted - so it's not as though the crime is completely ignored. Why then are they only prosecuting a small proportion of offences?
  • Options
    When this market was made, the PB advice was to back Lib Dems at 4/5...

I think the EVS about the SNP is pretty solid personally

UKIP not a runner IMO

under over is 32.5 SNP 27.5 Lib Dems. Obv bigger upside for LD but realistically this shouldn't be EVS

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/most-seats-match-bet
  • Options

Betting aside, I'd be very unlikely to vote for TJ. In fact if she stands I would say Labour have every chance of losing. The other Parties would only have to put up a half decent candidate to be in with a real shout.

I see Lord Coe has ruled himself out. I'd make SK a fairly clear favorite now in the circumstances.
    Diane Abbot could spring a surprise.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

This is exactly the sort of silencing of the issue that PC types like audrey attempt in order to close down discussion of uncomfortable facts.

Hehe. Thanks for brightening my afternoon.

Reminds me of this moment in Fawlty Towers at 50s:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFMpySg_UrM&spfreload=10
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Go figure.

Burton (my own seat) at 5/1 (or Rugby/Chatham/Brigg & Goole) . But you can't just subtract 40 Scottish seats directly. Even assuming all the Scottish prices are wrong by a good margin I reckon you come out around the 11/4 mark - seats like Battersea, Reading West & Ilford North.

I've had to take a bit of the 12.0 on betfair since it seems overblown but really the value must be in backing the Tories in seats about the 1/2 mark - Vale of Glamorgan, Portsmouth North, and the aforementioned Somerset North East.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Bit late for that: http://todaysdate.com/
    I prefer: http://time.is/UTC
  • Options
    'm not asking for the government to concentrate on just Asian offenders.

Socrates you aren't asking the government for anything. You aren;t asking anybody for anything. Have you written to your MP? Rotherham's MP? Donated to the UKIP Campaign in Rotherham? Ipswich? Oxford? Knocked on any doors?

No. I bet you have done nothing. You are just ranting away hoping that someone will do it for you.

Here's a clue. It isn;t going to happen.
  • Options
    isam said:

UKIP not a runner IMO

under over is 32.5 SNP 27.5 Lib Dems. Obv bigger upside for LD but realistically this shouldn't be EVS

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/most-seats-match-bet

Yes, evens is a good bet. Hills go 4/7 SNP, 13/8 LD, 8/1 Tie in a head-to-head.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    edited January 2015
    The answer to this one is pretty simple I think. The LDs know that it's going to be carnage, whoever leads them into the election, and all the potential candidates want Clegg to own it. Come 8 May 2015 you can be sure that Farron et al. will emerge with their particular vision of how the rebuild should be done.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Go figure.

Burton (my own seat) at 5/1 (or Rugby/Chatham/Brigg & Goole) . But you can't just subtract 40 Scottish seats directly. Even assuming all the Scottish prices are wrong by a good margin I reckon you come out around the 11/4 mark - seats like Battersea, Reading West & Ilford North.

I've had to take a bit of the 12.0 on betfair since it seems overblown but really the value must be in backing the Tories in seats about the 1/2 mark - Vale of Glamorgan, Portsmouth North, and the aforementioned Somerset North East.
    Crewe and Nantwich too (Conservative)

I've backed Labour in Reading West
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Diane Abbot could spring a surprise.
    Oh, I'm sure she could, but not at the ballot box. ;-)
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Socrates said:

@NickPalmer

I post on the same issue again and again because it's a national outrage that the mainstream media (with the exception of the Times) has almost entirely dodged and the political class has completely failed in.

But it's good to know you read topics on thousands of child rapes not being investigated and think "Boooring! Next topic please!"

Socrates, I don't know if you've read this, but I found it enlightening:
    http://www.thecommentator.com/article/722/on_street_grooming
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    MikeK said:

FPT.

Grandiose said:
    » show previous quotes
    I don't know if you remember Socrates but a few months ago I said I was giving DC the benefit of the doubt about this.

My patience is fading.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I don't know how you can believe anything Dave Cameron says. From Pasties, (small lies, but not harmless) to the EU, (large lies and definitely harmful), the man cannot simply tell the truth.

All these cases have nothing to do with the present government. As far as I can see they occurred during the tenure of a Labour govt and in Labour controlled councils and happened mostly to girls in care. The govt have tried to instigate an enquiry and the victims and their advisors have objected to the make up of it. The govt have clearly blamed the police and local authorities for their miserable levels of inaction There is another enquiry report pending about a cover up in Rochdale.
    Governments cannot initiate criminal prosecutions.
  • Options

The answer to this one is pretty simple I think. The LDs know that it's going to be carnage

That's interesting. Maybe you've got a point. Are there any LibDems around on here who can comment? What does Mike himself think? I'm not sure he shares the sense of doom?!

6% is chronic. If you're not right with that theory Thomas then it's almost like they're sleep-walking into oblivion.
  • Options

Tessa Jowell would seem to be the Frank Dobson candidate. I have a sneaking suspicion the Tories are still hoping to put up Karren Brady, but against the backdrop of continued Tory government surely the Labour party won't be able to lose this again?
  • Options

isam said:

UKIP not a runner IMO

What do you reckon about 8-1 for the tie ?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Socrates said:

It's an important political topic (if not to you). If it doesn't interest you, you don't need to read posts about it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

UKIP not a runner IMO

Not quite good enough. It might appeal at 12s.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited January 2015
    taffys said:

Socrates you aren't asking the government for anything. You aren;t asking anybody for anything. Have you written to your MP? Rotherham's MP? Donated to the UKIP Campaign in Rotherham? Ipswich? Oxford? Knocked on any doors?

No. I bet you have done nothing. You are just ranting away hoping that someone will do it for you.

Well, it might happen if an enquiry gets off the ground, and those involved can ever agree on a chairman.

Under Butler-Sloss the ball would be rolling; as it is there's been half a year of diddly squat, which will no doubt be the case for months to come.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

UKIP not a runner IMO

OK I've backed it but I'll keep it in the red in this book.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Pulpstar said:

His "son of the manse" reputation undoubtedly held massive sway with older more conservative voters in the posher parts of Kirkcaldy and surrounding villages. I really don't believe he would have that much of a personal vote from traditional Labour demographics.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,646

6% is chronic. If you're not right with that theory Thomas then it's almost like they're sleep-walking into oblivion.

What would you suggest they do (that they aren't already doing)
  • Options
    taffys said:

Have you written to your MP?

Yes.
    taffys said:

Donated to the UKIP Campaign in Rotherham?

Yes.

Written to the Home Secretary? Yes. Written to the Communities Secretary? Yes.
  • Options

taffys said:

Well, it might happen if an enquiry gets off the ground, and those involved can ever agree on a chairman.

Under Butler-Sloss the ball would be rolling; as it is there's been half a year of diddly squat, which will no doubt be the case for months to come.
    Except the enquiry's terms of reference won't look into the grooming gangs.
  • Options
    This shows a very poor grasp of how Libdems think. Numerous surveys on LibdemVoice have shown that activists are extremely pessimistic about Libdem chances in May but most feel that we did the right thing in joining the Coalition. Few of us wanted to sack Clegg because we think he has done a reasonable job & its a job we asked him to do. MPs in the Libdems arent nearly as important as those in the Tories or Labour & our activists are used to being in a minority.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Socrates said:

Don't you think the subject should be talked about more rather than less given the way it wasn't talked about for so many years when it clearly should have been?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

The answer to this one is pretty simple I think. The LDs know that it's going to be carnage

That's interesting. Maybe you've got a point. Are there any LibDems around on here who can comment? What does Mike himself think? I'm not sure he shares the sense of doom?!

That assumes that there is anything that they could do which would make things better for them or even not risk making things worse. There was an interesting article in today's Times by Tim Montgomerie of all people titled "Nick Clegg is the unsung hero of our times."
    I for one am glad that he didn't walk away when the coalition was possible. That would make a good counterfactual for your PB authors and maybe a disaster movie too.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Socrates said:

taffys said:

What? Really? That's f*#king ridiculous.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

One of the very big questions about the Ashcroft constituency polling is whether the second of the two-part voting-intention questions (i.e. the one which invites the respondent to think about his or her constituency) is a better indicator than the first question. The differences are sometimes astonishingly high.
    Personally I'm somewhat sceptical. ...

Caveat punter.

Your point is a fair one.
    However...
    There were clear examples of non-universal swing in 2010. I seem to remember some big swings in the Sunderland constituencies, but in the one where a similar swing would have given the seat to the Conservatives - it was far less. I seem recall that in many seats where there was a chance of the tories winning the swing was less not more. Its possible for people to vote tactically. Who knows who it might affect.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited January 2015
    Is Lord Ashcroft the reason Nick Clegg is still leading the Lib Dems?

Nah. - Clegg's continued leadership is more down to an inept Lord Oakeshott than the brill Lord Ashcroft.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    taffys said:

The child rape of tens of thousands of victims in dozens of towns is a local issue.

It may be a "local issue" but it's "local" to rather a lot of places, seemingly.
  • Options

Not an LD (but don't hate them either). I suppose, given the polls and results in all the by-elections (Eastleigh excepted - where the Con candidate gave them a big helping hand), managing to hold c.25 seats will be met with a 'could have been worse' response,. It would allow them to rebuild across the course of the next parliament. Still, for me, losing over half your seats is by any definition 'carnage'.

p.s. It's snowing in Acton. Not very heavy but some has settled.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

This shows a very poor grasp of how Libdems think. Numerous surveys on LibdemVoice have shown that activists are extremely pessimistic about Libdem chances in May but most feel that we did the right thing in joining the Coalition. Few of us wanted to sack Clegg because we think he has done a reasonable job & its a job we asked him to do. MPs in the Libdems arent nearly as important as those in the Tories or Labour & our activists are used to being in a minority.

But who are you all going to vote for in the leadership election?

Also, are you ex-Magic Sign?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

UKIP not a runner IMO

Ladbrokes told me that dead heat rules would apply on markets such as this yesterday when I phoned them and quizzed them over this.

So if SNP and Lib Dems tie and you've backed SNP at evens, I make that for £100 staked, £50 @ Evs + £50 halved stake = Push.
  • Options
    I'm seriously considering a vote for the Lib Dems here in NE Derbyshire - helping them save their deposit as a Thank you for 5 years of good governance may mean my vote may not be wasted ^_~
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Anorak said:

Socrates said:

taffys said:

What? Really? That's f*#king ridiculous.
    The child abuse inquiry is limited to government failures. It will not look into the nature of the abuse itself or how abuse gangs function.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm seriously considering a vote for the Lib Dems here in NE Derbyshire - helping them save their deposit as a Thank you for 5 years of good governance may mean my vote may not be wasted ^_~

First signs of LD swingback?
  • Options

But who are you all going to vote for in the leadership election?
    Good point. If the LibDems aren't in the next government and are in opposition, I imagine Clegg will stand down and Farron will be chosen. At that point the LibDems could become much more popular, hopefully at the expense of UKIP. This is what's going on with UKIP in my area. What a shower, the further away from power they are kept the better.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/ukip-parliamentary-candidate-leaves-over-chairman-s-criminal-record-1-6546275
  • Options

Don't read him then. Like I normally don't read you.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Socrates said:

@NickPalmer

Socrates, I don't know if you've read this, but I found it enlightening:
    http://www.thecommentator.com/article/722/on_street_grooming
    He might as well have just written

Mass immigration causes civil strife
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

First signs of LD swingback?
    Arf, doubt it - Dave hasn't impressed me recently with his game playing over the debates tbh.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited January 2015
    Socrates,

The media circus has moved on. Not enough posh people or media types were involved. Hacking was far more important because those posh people got their phone conversations listened to.

Oh, the horror, not mitigated by the massive pay-outs they received.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Wasn't the lib dem result in Eastleigh down to a massive split in the Tory vote caused by Ukip rather than brilliant campaigning and solid base etc from the lib dems?

I reckon a big factor in the GE and decent way of finding value would be to look where Ukip are decent runners without having a big chance and backing the 2nd fav... There will be lots of v tight contests/ small majorities

I wonder what the total majorities of al 650 seats will be compared to last time? A lot smaller I think... Quite a volatile spread market!

I am sure you all have copies of my Ukip hotspots printed for reference, that would be a decent starting point

• Options
    Written to the Home Secretary? Yes. Written to the Communities Secretary? Yes.

I take it back, more power to your elbow. I still maintain, however, that nothing will happen until people start losing their seats and their jobs. That is the real world.

The people of South Yorkshire had a fine opportunity to say they had had enough.

They flunked it totally. Shame on them.
  • Options
    isam said:

Wasn't the lib dem result in Eastleigh down to a massive split in the Tory vote caused by Ukip rather than brilliant campaigning and solid base etc from the lib dems?

I reckon a big factor in the GE and decent way of finding value would be to look where Ukip are decent runners without having a big chance and backing the 2nd fav

I am sure you all have copies of my Ukip hotspots printed for reference that would be a decent starting point

They did well in the by-election, what happened in the locals?
This discussion has been closed.