Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The build up starts to what will be the biggest polling eve

Comments

• Options
    Moses_ said:
    Minor local disagreement blown out of all proportion by press for partisan political reasons.

Personally I say good for Nigel that he is standing by him and not allowing something 10 years ago to condemn someone for life.

Also I understand UKIP want to make medical, science, maths and engineering degress tuition free and take it out of the overseas aid budget.

Methinks Custard Dave has made himself a hostage to fortune by shovelling so many billions at overseaas aid.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/01/political-correctnes-how-censorship-defeats-itself/

Nick Cohen on form re, Political Correctness.

Very good except for the one but last paragraph, where he starts on the "Right", and becomes silly.
  • Options
    I wonder what he thinks of Mark Reckless?

Ukip's founder, Professor Alan Sked, has issued a withering verdict of Douglas Carswell's leadership potential, saying he has "the charisma of a wet turd".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01/28/ukip-douglas-carswell-wet-turd_n_6560814.html?1422442155&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited January 2015

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Amusingly I'm +£49.99 on my Betfair exchange on Labour majority, the wonders of using multiple bookies... ^_~

I'm all green with a totally balanced book and I plan to keep it that way.

Which do you think will be the closest Lib Dem - Conservative battle of the night, Mike - I reckon Torbay.
    With CON-LD battles check table 5 on Lord A polling which has the all with voting intention number. These likely to give better guide than the turnout weighted ones as happened in Eastleigh.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Torbay-Full-tables-Sept-14.pdf

Sanders well ahead.
    Not what CCHQ think....

If they've got other data then let them publish it.

Torbay is always the seats that the blues have high hopes of winning and one where they fail. Longstanding PBers will recall that Marcus Wood was CON candidate.
    And since Marcus was the candidate, the LibDems have lost nearly two thirds of their votes nationally. Torbay is not peculiarly immune to that trend.
    Additionally I notice David Laws Yeovil consituency has a Green canditate standing for the first time since 2001 which won't help him at all. He could well lose to the tories due to the libdem vote fracturing into UKIP, Lab and Green.

If this is repeated at Torbay it will similarly fracture the liberal dem vote further and let the tories in, even if they get less votes than they got in 2010.
    National vote shares irrelevant.

In latest batch of Ashcroft CON-LD battles the yellows had average lead of 9%.

Greens have only just put up a candidate in Yeovil and plenty of greenies in south Somerset who would have voted libdem in 2010.

To say that national vote shares are irrelevant is absurd. There will obviously be a personal/incumbency vote but with a few notable exceptions you dont win under first past the post without a good slew of people who are voting for your party not you.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Carnyx said:

Pong said:

Before the Ashcroft polls ruin the fun, does anyone want a bet on how much of the labour vote goes to the SNP in labours safest seat?

I recon, however bad it gets for labour, they'll still have a 10%+ lead over the SNP in at least one constituency in May.

Presumably you mean Scottish constituencies ...

I'll happily lay a bet on the SNP vote % in liverpool walton. You can have any stake you like.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Torbay was interesting in 2010, in that not only was the Labour vote squeezed (from 14.7% in 2005 to just 6.6% in 2010) but so was the UKIP vote (7.9% to 5.3%). LibDems are losing votes to both this time.

There was also a Green candidate in 2010 who only polled 1%. They will be hoping for much better in May.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832
    Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Are we discussing UKIP-related tweets?

Sathnam Sanghera ‏@Sathnam · 2h2 hours ago
    Saddened to report I've had an official complaint from UKIP press office about something I tweeted last night.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8Yth7-IAAMizJm.jpg

Happy to be corrected, but it was my understanding that the politician in question didn't deny the Holocaust, but his party leader had questioned it.
    WW2 really was quite a long time ago. Everyone has rather agreed that what went on then isn't important for now haven't they?

History is for Historians - I can think of no better way to befuddle the truth.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,924
    Moses_ said:

BBC covering Wales NHS worst 999 month for emergency response on record with over 50% of calls not meeting the 8 minute rate. A very thorough report indeed on the catastrophe in Wales with absolutely nothing omitted , straight for the jugular stuff.....

Oh wait a minute? ......they did forget to mention one tiny little fact .......

It's controlled by Labour.

response times were better than they had been for the same period the previous year though weren't they.

I n England we have gone from hitting all NHS targets to missing nearly all of them.

The Tories Wales/weaponising responses will not save them from this fact IMO
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Omnium said:

Socrates said:

antifrank said:

Are we discussing UKIP-related tweets?

Sathnam Sanghera ‏@Sathnam · 2h2 hours ago
    Saddened to report I've had an official complaint from UKIP press office about something I tweeted last night.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8Yth7-IAAMizJm.jpg

Happy to be corrected, but it was my understanding that the politician in question didn't deny the Holocaust, but his party leader had questioned it.
    WW2 really was quite a long time ago. Everyone has rather agreed that what went on then isn't important for now haven't they?

History is for Historians - I can think of no better way to befuddle the truth.

As Napoleon said: "What is History, but a fable upon which everyone is agreed?"
  • Options

Ukip's founder, Professor Alan Sked, has issued a withering verdict of Douglas Carswell's leadership potential, saying he has "the charisma of a wet turd".

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01/28/ukip-douglas-carswell-wet-turd_n_6560814.html?1422442155&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Something like David Willetts who was on the Daily Politics today?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Further evidence of how Labour's right-wing stances on the economy are costing them support:

YouGov polling based on all people "considering" voting Labour:

We would like you to think about the Labour party and the sort of policies and direction the party takes. Below are three pairs of statements, in each case please say which one you would prefer.

Public spending
    Commit to spending more on NHS and public services: 43%
    Commit to tackling deficit through cuts and tax rises: 19%
    Neither: 26%
    Don't know: 12%

Businesses
    Labour should stand up to big business: 49%
    Labour should be positive about big business: 23%
    Neither: 15%
    Don't know: 13%

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/redbox/topic/yougov-polling-for-red-box/anti-austerity-message-and-standing-up-to-big-business-could-help-labour
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited January 2015
    Just to show you how serious this is for the LibDems, the last time they polled in single figures in a General Election was 45 years ago in 1970 when they were just the Liberal Party. In fact, they haven't polled under 14% since then.

I doubt many on here will currently be betting hard on them polling in double digits, will you?

Their current polling performance is one of THE General Election betting stories, almost unreported on pb.com. Remember, they won 57 seats last time.

When they last polled in single figures the Fab Four, as opposed to the Gang of Four, were still together. The Liberals polled 7.5% …

… and won 6 seats.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Amusingly I'm +£49.99 on my Betfair exchange on Labour majority, the wonders of using multiple bookies... ^_~

Which do you think will be the closest Lib Dem - Conservative battle of the night, Mike - I reckon Torbay.
    With CON-LD battles check table 5 on Lord A polling which has the all with voting intention number. These likely to give better guide than the turnout weighted ones as happened in Eastleigh.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Torbay-Full-tables-Sept-14.pdf

Sanders well ahead.
    Not what CCHQ think....

Torbay is always the seats that the blues have high hopes of winning and one where they fail. Longstanding PBers will recall that Marcus Wood was CON candidate.
    And since Marcus was the candidate, the LibDems have lost nearly two thirds of their votes nationally. Torbay is not peculiarly immune to that trend.
    Additionally I notice David Laws Yeovil consituency has a Green canditate standing for the first time since 2001 which won't help him at all. He could well lose to the tories due to the libdem vote fracturing into UKIP, Lab and Green.

If this is repeated at Torbay it will similarly fracture the liberal dem vote further and let the tories in, even if they get less votes than they got in 2010.

Greens have only just put up a candidate in Yeovil and plenty of greenies in south Somerset who would have voted libdem in 2010.

To say that national vote shares are irrelevant is absurd. There will obviously be a personal/incumbency vote but with a few notable exceptions you dont win under first past the post without a good slew of people who are voting for your party not you.
    And the last Ld A Con/LD poll published was fw 27 October to 20 November 2014, when a green surge was something you mentioned to the practice nurse. I find this stuff very, very confusing.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Moses_ said:
    Personally I say good for Nigel that he is standing by him and not allowing something 10 years ago to condemn someone for life.
    That you think a man who slashed someone across the face with a bread knife, and has served two prison sentences for violence, is suitable to be an elected Member of Parliament is one of the most chilling things I've read on this site.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,924
    I have man flu off to bed for me.

I am predicting an uncrossover in tonights YG but i will not know if i am right until tomorrow
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Labour criticising the tories on the NHS looks ( I reckon) like a cr8p conference team manager criticising a cr8p Premiership manager.

Shut up mate, yer about to get relegated from the conference.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sanders well ahead.
    Not what CCHQ think....

National vote shares are not 'irrelevant.' And by 'latest' you're referring to last summer's polling?
  • Options
    ouGov polling based on all people "considering" voting Labour:

Best you start mainlining Syriza then.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

Moses_ said:

BBC covering Wales NHS worst 999 month for emergency response on record with over 50% of calls not meeting the 8 minute rate. A very thorough report indeed on the catastrophe in Wales with absolutely nothing omitted , straight for the jugular stuff.....

response times were better than they had been for the same period the previous year though weren't they.

I n England we have gone from hitting all NHS targets to missing nearly all of them.

BBC Wales says:

"Ambulance response times for the most urgent calls in Wales are the worst on record, new figures show.

The proportion of ambulances hitting the target response time of eight minutes for the most urgent calls fell well below half in December.

The target for responding to Category A calls is 65% - but in December it was just 42.6%.

It was down from 51.0% in November 2014 and from 57.6% from December 2013."

Response times breakdown

42.6% of Category A calls received an emergency response within 8 minutes
    47.4% within 9 minutes
    52.0% within 10 minutes
    68.9% within 15 minutes
    79.1% within 20 minutes
    89.8% within 30 minutes

Deputy Health Minister Vaughan Gething said the ambulance service needed to urgently improve its response to emergency 999 calls.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-31008978
  • Options

Just to show you how serious this is for the LibDems, the last time they polled in single figures in a General Election was 45 years ago in 1970 when they were just the Liberal Party. In fact, they haven't polled under 14% since then.

I doubt many on here will currently be betting hard on them polling in double digits, will you?

Their current polling performance is one of THE General Election betting stories, almost unreported on pb.com. Remember, they won 57 seats last time.

When they last polled in single figures the Fab Four, as opposed to the Gang of Four, were still together. The Liberals polled 7.5% …

… and won 6 seats.

The Lib Dems really need to thank their lucky stars for the Tories' continuing weakness. That's the only factor which will (maybe) keep their number of seats above their 1974-1992 level despite a voteshare which will most likely be worse than all those elections in that time period: it should allow them to hold onto a decent number of Con-LD marginals with <40% of the vote, which in years gone by would only have given them "close but no cigar" 2nd places.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Moses_ said:

Labour NHS,"not quite as shite as last year" there's a winning slogan if I've ever seen one.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Pong said:

I recon, however bad it gets for labour, they'll still have a 10%+ lead over the SNP in at least one constituency in May.

Yes, but which one?
    If I was looking for a decent Hedge on Scottish Labour I would go for North Ayrshire and Arran.

Katy Clarke gives a very, very good impression of being left wing, probably the most left wing Labour MP.
    She voted with the SNP on Austerity, Trident and Fracking.
    Until recently even I was fooled and wondered if she might be a candidate to defect to the Greens.
    (The reality is she is a 100% careerist Labourite but she really does convince she isnt).

I'm not sure it will be enough to save her, but if any decent value Labour incumbent exists, it is probably her but I can't find any odds being offered anything over 15/8 would be value.
  • Options

Why would you post a link to such drivel without labelling it as such?

• Options

… and won 6 seats.

The SNP could end up with 55 seats on less than 5% of the vote. You seem to completely discount voter concentration and incumbency. But feel free to waste your own cash.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

It is well known that Alan Sked is the Ted Heath to the Farage's Thatcher.

I always find his comments amusing.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited January 2015

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Sanders well ahead.
    Not what CCHQ think....

National vote shares are not 'irrelevant.' And by 'latest' you're referring to last summer's polling?
    No he is referring to November not last summer . I guess it is your blindness to reality that has destroyed your memory .
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814

Sked has been consistently rude about UKIP and its leadership ever since he stood down in the 90s.

I think he resents the electoral success it's had under his successors.
  • Options

Sked has been consistently rude about UKIP and its leadership ever since he stood down in the 90s.

I was told it was because he is a left leaning person, and he's not liked (in his opinion) the right wing monster UKIP have become.
  • Options

Moses_ said:
    That you think a man who slashed someone across the face with a bread knife, and has served two prison sentences for violence, is suitable to be an elected Member of Parliament is one of the most chilling things I've read on this site.
    .... also "He received a number of criminal convictions for drug possession"!
    But as our Nige says "After all you can't have every party full of Oxbridge graduates."

UPICKem
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited January 2015
    saddened said:

Moses_ said:

Labour NHS,"not quite as shite as last year" there's a winning slogan if I've ever seen one.
    Saddened if I may borrow your phrase?

Labour's NHS England,"not quite as shite as Labour's NHS Wales"
  • Options

I thought your 3 part post about the GE prospects the other day was interesting by the way.

Plaudits on PB are pretty hard to come by so just thought I'd add a thumbs up.

• Options
    @TSE - Re Marcus, noted with thanks.
  • Options

Moses_ said:
    But as our Nige says "After all you can't have every party full of Oxbridge graduates."

UPICKem
    Come, come. He was acquitted on the sex-at-knifepoint charge, and ran a music festival in aid of Oxfam. And he used to send his mother flowers, and that. Do try to maintain a sense of proportion.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,218
    Dair said:

Pong said:

Yes, but which one?
    If I was looking for a decent Hedge on Scottish Labour I would go for North Ayrshire and Arran.

Katy Clarke gives a very, very good impression of being left wing, probably the most left wing Labour MP.
    She voted with the SNP on Austerity, Trident and Fracking.
    Until recently even I was fooled and wondered if she might be a candidate to defect to the Greens.
    (The reality is she is a 100% careerist Labourite but she really does convince she isnt).

I'm not sure it will be enough to save her, but if any decent value Labour incumbent exists, it is probably her but I can't find any odds being offered anything over 15/8 would be value.
    Hopefully Labour finally get chucked out of North Ayrshire, they have run it forever and managed to make it into a desert.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Scott_P said:

@rosschawkins: What appears to be a UKIP branch twitter account has published a mocked up picture of Harriet Harman topless

That's rather funny.
  • Options
    Off topic, I see Matthew D'Ancona has a new hairstyle in the Evening Standard tonight. Gone is the puffball. Instead he's sporting a combdown mop and a strangely unshaven stubbly 'just got out of bed' look, with an open neck blue shirt.

How hip.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

I was told it was because he is a left leaning person, and he's not liked (in his opinion) the right wing monster UKIP have become.
    I think Sked just wanted it to be a very small party with about 1% of the vote.

• Options

Omnium said:

He is undoubtedly a bitter old fool who couldn't stand the fact that the party outgrew him. To be honest people who go round founding political parties for their own vanity and then get upset when they are successful without them really are a few pastilles short of a packet.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    OT

Here is a modern-day conundrum which arose today with a fellow business in our office suites.

A recent graduate having a good degree in geology (from a student loan) is unable to find a job locally (there are no local companies who could employ him). However, he wants to stay in the area as he likes it and so is quite happy to live (and has plans for a family) on benefits.

In previous times he would have moved and obtained a job where he was employable, as probably his forebears did..

So should this employable person be allowed to live at ease on the public purse?
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited January 2015

.......The Liberals polled 7.5% … … and won 6 seats.

Audreyanne, you paint the Lib Dems in far too rosy a picture. That 7.5% came from only standing in 332 of the 628 seats that the Conservatives stood in. If they had stood in all mainland seats they can be expected to have been in double figures then.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Omnium said:

He is undoubtedly a bitter old fool who couldn't stand the fact that the party outgrew him. To be honest people who go round founding political parties for their own vanity and then get upset when they are successful without them really are a few pastilles short of a packet.
    As opposed to those who merely run them for their own vanity.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

I thought your 3 part post about the GE prospects the other day was interesting by the way.

Plaudits on PB are pretty hard to come by so just thought I'd add a thumbs up.

That's very kind of you. Thank you. Casino_Royale was also rather lovely.
  • Options

Audreyanne, you paint the Lib Dems in far too rosy a picture. That 7.5% came from only standing in 332 of the 628 seats that the Conservatives stood in. If they had stood in all mainland seats they can be expected to have been in double figures then.
    Haha!! True true: very good point.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    before you can say boo to a goose, kippers are on here ready to trash their founder..
    I guess its all right for KIppers to be nasty about and to other people..., but not all right when it gets pointed out that there are significant racist elements in their party .
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited January 2015

Moses_ said:
    He is not standing for parliament, he's the branch chairman.

The convictions appear to result from fighting during a period of drug addiction when he was a young man. None relate to politically motivated violence or violence against women or minors.

I find the attitude that anyone in such a situation must always be treated as a pariah and not allowed to reform and have a second chance is one of the most chilling things I've read on this site. Frankly parliament could do with a few more like him who have pulled themselves up from the wrong side of the street if it is to reflect the british people not the elite.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

UPICKem
    Come, come. He was acquitted on the sex-at-knifepoint charge, and ran a music festival in aid of Oxfam. And he used to send his mother flowers, and that. Do try to maintain a sense of proportion.
    I did not mention that knifepoint charge. Judge a man by his convictions I say.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    isam said:

The UKIP banded seats market looking more like it now... the baseball bats have almost smashed it into shape!!

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/total-seats-ukip-banded

They have slashed the odds on that 3-4 seat bet... If it comes in I will be more than happy. Do you think there is any value in the 1-2 seat bet as the odds have remained unchanged on it?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    MP_SE said:

isam said:

The UKIP banded seats market looking more like it now... the baseball bats have almost smashed it into shape!!

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/total-seats-ukip-banded

They have slashed the odds on that 3-4 seat bet... If it comes in I will be more than happy. Do you think there is any value in the 1-2 seat bet as the odds have remained unchanged on it?
    Clacton, Thanet South and Boston should all come in.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,088

… and won 6 seats.

Hope you are right
  • Options

I think it's more he preferred the intellectual rigour of a purely academic critique of the EU, and was only comfortable to win on that basis, or not at all.
  • Options
    Isam haha! Because of our bet, or your hopes for UKIP?
    Pulpstar said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

When you write 'come in' do you mean in terms of the odds tightening? Or that they will 'come in' as UKIP wins? If the latter I'd demure from the word 'should.' Clacton ought to be okay. I'm really not sure about Thanet South. We need to see some more polling. And Boston's a bigger long shot, I'd have thought?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

@rosschawkins: What appears to be a UKIP branch twitter account has published a mocked up picture of Harriet Harman topless

That's rather funny.
    Now thats disgraceful, who wants to look at Harpersons tasteless tits?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

That's rather funny.
    Kippers?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    MikeK,

"who wants to look at Harpersons tasteless tits?"

Two points (phnaw phnaw)

(1) If it's a photoshop, they won't be her knockers.
    (2) Just a little in bad taste, I think.
  • Options
    Um...am I the only one who thinks Harman is one of the more attractive MPs? Especially taking how good she looks for her age in consideration.

I'll get my coat...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

That covers your recent donation to Junior. Are you sure you will win...?

:no-such-thing-as-free-money:

:blush:
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Ishmael_X said:

Moses_ said:

UPICKem
    I did not mention that knifepoint charge. Judge a man by his convictions I say.
    And what he says. He blames his own convictions on someone else; 'I am a product of this country'.

Why did not MikeK break this story?
  • Options
    Lord Ashcroft on Sky News now.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    Danny565 said:

Um...am I the only one who thinks Harman is one of the more attractive MPs? Especially taking how good she looks for her age in consideration.

I'll get my coat...

She was widely regarded as something of a looker in her younger days.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Audrey,

"And Boston's a bigger long shot, I'd have thought?"

Mark Simmons had a 12,000 majority but didn't fancy his chances. My reading was that everyone in Boston was a Kipper, but it could be the circles I move in. I did meet two Greens but they weren't old enough to vote.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    Danny565 said:

I'll get my coat...

No need; she's always looked good. If that's not a sexist thing to say. Talks a lot of sense too, most of the time.
  • Options
    Please...... don't let past performance be a guide to future returns tonight....

COYS!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

When you write 'come in' do you mean in terms of the odds tightening? Or that they will 'come in' as UKIP wins? If the latter I'd demure from the word 'should.' Clacton ought to be okay. I'm really not sure about Thanet South. We need to see some more polling. And Boston's a bigger long shot, I'd have thought?
    Strategic voting in Thanet South is possible. Labour voters holding their nose and voting Tory to keep Farage out. But would they prefer Farage as an MP or risk increasing the Tory majority.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Moses_ said:

The NHS was not sh!te last year.
    Do you want to weaponise it or get the public to pay a lot more for it through private insurance?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I'll get my coat...

Theresa May sometimes does it for me. Really don't know why though...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    isam said:

… and won 6 seats.

Hope you are right
    Two of them because the Tories didn't stand. Mind the Tories won two others because the Libs were reasonably strong in them but left the Blues a clear run.
    IIRC one was Rochdale!
  • Options

Danny565 said:

I'll get my coat...

No need; she's always looked good. If that's not a sexist thing to say. Talks a lot of sense too, most of the time.
    Yes, I have never quite understood the extraordinary level of hostility she seems to attract on this board.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    edited January 2015
    Ashcroft pretty coy about the Scottish polling actually, though he maybe hinted at SNP doing well in Glasgow.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,088

Pulpstar said:

MP_SE said:

isam said:

Our bet! I have had it with about 6-7 other people too!
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Omnium said:

Like the ones who want to be Prime Minister because "I think I'd be pretty good at it"?
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

Lord Ashcroft on Sky News now.

Sounds as though Labour is in for a hammering in Scotland like a dock-side hooker
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Danny565 said:

I'll get my coat...

The leopard skin print shoes?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 1m1 minute ago
    Lord Ashcroft on Sky suggests that in today's climate parties could secure an overall majority with a share of the vote in the 20s.
  • Options

Diane Abbott looks like she could bounce around the bedroom pretty handily.

There....its off my chest.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Danny565 said:

I'll get my coat...

Yes, I have never quite understood the extraordinary level of hostility she seems to attract on this board.
    You mean , just ignore the fact the she like so many others Labour MP's professes Comprehensive education for all whilst sending her kids to a grammar and a grant maintained school.

Should we pass on her husband being selected on an all woman shortlist?
  • Options
    edited January 2015

MP_SE said:

Danny565 said:

I'll get my coat...

The leopard skin print shoes?
    She looks feisty. Sarah Palin is another favourite of mine.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Yep. Which neatly encompasses all the other parties (including UKIP).
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    dr_spyn said:

Lord Ashcroft on Sky suggests that in today's climate parties could secure an overall majority with a share of the vote in the 20s.

That would be very unstable, it would mean that 3 parties would be within 10% of forming a majority. Actually scrap that, it's the same situation as in the 2005-2010 period.
  • Options

saddened said:

Moses_ said:

The NHS was not sh!te last year.
    Do you want to weaponise it or get the public to pay a lot more for it through private insurance?
    Calm down look at the context of my original post, a reply to BJO's tripe.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    Glasgow NW 12-5 with Hills still.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I take it his Scottish marginal polling isn't that pretty for Labour.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

As someone who chose to cash-out and not contribute further l would, humbly, suggest that your views are past their sell-by date. Taxes do not grow on trees: Early-retired public-sector pensioners just deny resources to those who still contribute or have a greater need...!

:get-a-job-and-contribute:
  • Options

before you can say boo to a goose, kippers are on here ready to trash their founder..
    I guess its all right for KIppers to be nasty about and to other people..., but not all right when it gets pointed out that there are significant racist elements in their party .

It is fine to claim that as long as it is balanced by the admission that there are just as many racist elements in the other parties as well.

It is the utter hypocrisy of the party fanatics like yourself who think their own party holds the moral highground that makes people want to vomit.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

I'll get my coat...

Specsavers sales lead.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    dr_spyn said:

UKIP could reach 24%. ;) They reached 28% in the Euros :)

Quick, who's in Farage's first cabinet?
  • Options
    taffys said:

Diane Abbott looks like she could bounce around the bedroom pretty handily.

Well she does resemble a beach ball with fingers.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

That's rather funny.
    she's a bit young for kippers.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Danny565 said:

I'll get my coat...

Specsavers sales lead.
    Best to get the prescription for the beer googles checked.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

I take it his Scottish marginal polling isn't that pretty for Labour.
    From the way he phrased it. I suspect he has the SNP winning a fair number of seats but Labour holding on by 1 or 2,000 in quite a lot of others. He said something along the lines of "it's real, maybe not as massive as some polling indicates"
  • Options
    MikeK said:

dr_spyn said:

UKIP could reach 24%. ;) They reached 28% in the Euros :)

Quick, who's in Farage's first cabinet?
    Paul Nuttall - Secretary of State for Scotland
    Roger Helmer - Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change
    Winston McKenzie - Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
  • Options

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

That's rather funny.
    Besides being a complete bitch, she's to old for me. I like my women to be in the 24 to 28 years range, full of life and virile. Just the thing for an old codger like me.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

That's rather funny.
    Besides being a complete bitch, she's to old for me. I like my women to be in the 24 to 28 years range, full of life and virile. Just the thing for an old codger like me.
    Look up "virile".

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    edited January 2015

Although I would point out that in 1970 the winning party garnered 46% of the vote, and the second placed party got a vote share that would ensure a 150+ seat majority today. In a world where four parties get 10+% of the vote, and there's a fifth and sixth with perhaps 5% each, then the 'hurdle' for getting seats in any particular constituency is going to be much lower.

(And the risk of a completely disproportionate result increase substantially.)
  • Options

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

That's rather funny.
    There's a divide along party lines on that issue, is there?

Any dossiers you could link to?
  • Options
    Harriet Harman gives the Eagle brothers a run for their money in the looks department.
  • Options

It is fine to claim that as long as it is balanced by the admission that there are just as many racist elements in the other parties as well.

It is the utter hypocrisy of the party fanatics like yourself who think their own party holds the moral highground that makes people want to vomit.
    Firstly, I am not a party fanatic and I hold NO membership of any party, secondly, I point out the racist element in UKIP because it clearly hurts because its true. Thirdly I never made any claim about any party and the moral high ground. So typical of you and others on here to invent what others have said.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

That's rather funny.
    Look up "virile".

I see what you mean, @Ishmael_X but that dictionary definition is surely old hat by now. If it isn't, it should be.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

That's rather funny.
    mike you have muddled up your numbers again. it is not 28 but 82 in your pulling range.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675
    Socrates said:

Omnium said:

Like the ones who want to be Prime Minister because "I think I'd be pretty good at it"?
    Such a telling remark, even in semi jest. It's not the arrogance and entitlement - it's the sheer lack of ambition.
  • Options

MikeK said:

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

That's rather funny.
    mike you have muddled up your numbers again. it is not 28 but 82 in your pulling range.
    You are just jealous of my pulling power.
This discussion has been closed.