Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour regain the lead with Ipsos Mori

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,300
    Isam
    "Be warned: if Ed Miliband gains power, the nanny state will take over, says @Nigel_Farage ind.pn/1B6OQ0U pic.twitter.com/VAPFKdCFX4 "

What do you think would be most damaging to the UK's world-wide reputation; to have a 'nanny state' or to have the most right wing government in Europe?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Isam
    "Be warned: if Ed Miliband gains power, the nanny state will take over, says @Nigel_Farage ind.pn/1B6OQ0U pic.twitter.com/VAPFKdCFX4 "

What do you think would be most damaging to the UK's world-wide reputation; to have a 'nanny state' or to have the most right wing government in Europe?

I care less about reputation and more about the impact of a destructive nanny state government. That said since you are in advertising I realise that appearances are far more important to you than reality.
  • Options
    That must be a first since records began 100% of Labour voters express a certainty that they will vote. Do I believe this stat? ..... Nope I do not!
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

Roger said:

Richard

[Don't get me started on the very disappointing The Imitation Game, or, as I prefer to call it, The Anachronism Game].

Funny you should think that. I who have no knowledge of either physics or the enigma machine found the Imitation Game a much more interesting story. Both had something of a TV film about them but whereas the Imitation Game had a story-and in parts a moving story -at it's centre The Theory of Everything seemed just a bit too kitchen sink albeit with a brilliant impersonation of Hawking

Please explain to me how The Great Budapest Hotel gets umpteen nominations. Thought it was boring in the extreme. Saw Foxcatcher the other day, brilliant performances and a film I would see again. Imitation Game great fun, even if historically inaccurate,and my choice for Oscars, ahead of Theory of Everything. Also an honourable mention for the anti UKIP film, Paddington, which gave me the most laughs of any film in the last year.
    Grand Budapest Hotel was easily the best film of last year.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,464
    RodCrosby said:

Socrates said:

I didn't see this reported in the British press, but good on the Tories if they're finally preventing foreigners from voting in the UK:

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-people-voting-in-uk-1869774-Jan2015/

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/jan/15/uk-election-2015-seven-seats-where-the-non-uk-born-are-crucial

Seven seats where it might matter, although a million voters on the roll...

57% of the voters in East Ham are foreign born.
    RodCrosby said:

Socrates said:

I didn't see this reported in the British press, but good on the Tories if they're finally preventing foreigners from voting in the UK:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/jan/15/uk-election-2015-seven-seats-where-the-non-uk-born-are-crucial

Where there are reciprocal rights ( eg Ireland) foreign votes I can sort of accept ( but only where there's a degree of relative equality in terms of Brits and foreigners living each other's country ( again Ireland I assume would be ok-?) but where there are no reciprocal rights it's bonkers frankly. Just a straight no.

My constituency, Cardiff Central, is quite likely to have foreign votes greater than the majority and conceivably ( if not likely ) the cause of the majority (!)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Very bad news for the Lib Dems long term.

A lib demerung...???
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,281
    Norm Starkey of course
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited January 2015
    welshowl said:

RodCrosby said:

Socrates said:

RodCrosby said:

Socrates said:

Where there are reciprocal rights ( eg Ireland) foreign votes I can sort of accept ( but only where there's a degree of relative equality in terms of Brits and foreigners living each other's country ( again Ireland I assume would be ok-?) but where there are no reciprocal rights it's bonkers frankly. Just a straight no.

My constituency, Cardiff Central, is quite likely to have foreign votes greater than the majority and conceivably ( if not likely ) the cause of the majority (!)
    While the Guardian's analysis may be right on the number of marginals that may depend on these votes, the majority are concentrated in Labour seats.

So that's bye-bye East Ham and a host of others at the next Boundary Review [if this is change is passed]...

[I simplify slightly, but it will hurt Labour overall]
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,067
    welshowl said:

RodCrosby said:

Socrates said:

RodCrosby said:

Socrates said:

Of course a large proportion of the 57% in East Ham are likely to be British citizens.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Roger said:

Isam

Nanny state
  • Options

That must be a first since records began 100% of Labour voters express a certainty that they will vote. Do I believe this stat? ..... Nope I do not!

On the contrary - by definition, 100% of Labour voters, vote.

• Options

welshowl said:

RodCrosby said:

Socrates said:

RodCrosby said:

Socrates said:

Of course a large proportion of the 57% in East Ham are likely to be British citizens.
    Probably not the case here - lots of students. ( I have no solid evidence mind other than local vibe).
  • Options
    Norm said:

Roger said:

Interesting spat between Murdoch and Rowling.......

Murdoch "Maybe most Moslems are peaceful, but until they recognize and destroy their growing jihadist cancer they must be held responsible."

Rowling “I was born Christian. If that makes Rupert Murdoch my responsibility, I’ll auto-excommunicate.”

Yes I'm sure the Islington luvvies will find that hilariously funny.

Meanwhile BBC QT in their best traditions of balance have invited the following post-Charlie panel on to the show.

Mehdi Hasan (apologist)
    Sal Brinton (LD Friend of Palestine and apologist))
    Anna Soubry (drippingly wet Tory apologist)
    Wee Dougie (who cares)
    David Starkey (eccentric)

How many of these worthies will be looking to excise the growing Jihadist cancer?
    Starkey? From memory, he is uunbelievably right wing. And I think gay. No t likely to be a friend of salafist Islam. And likes to be controversial.

• Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    HYUFD said:

Norm Starkey of course

Indeed so but isn't that half the point? He's known as an eccentric and a Mr Angry figure Hopefully though for once he won't go OTT. I'd prefer a more sober but robust defender of free speech like David Aaronovitch as demonstrated by his two forthright Times articles in the last week.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    edited January 2015
    Roger said:

Isam

Boring false dichotomy.

"Nanny state" is boring too. If you think you don't already live in one, pop out for an AK47 and a pint of laudanum. If you are successful you are in Afghanistan or Somalia, which might make you think there's worse things than nanny states.

Edit to add: and what is this garbage about "the UK's world-wide reputation" anyway? Most of us aren't trying to market the UK, we are trying to bloody live in it.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,887
    edited January 2015
    MrEd said:

Looking at the YouGov splits of UKIP voters, ex-Labour 2010 voters are apparently the least likely to be UKIP supporters now: according to YouGov, there are circa three times as many 2010 Conservative voters backing UKIP than Labour.

That doesn't look right to me and it doesn't correspond with what we have seen coming out of recent elections (H and M, Stroud going UKIP in Rochester, the local elections in the North where UKIP has made significant inroads etc). A few Labour-leaning punters on here have also commented that the vibe is that the WWC is deserting Labour but that the middle classes are loyal. Given many of the latter were probably 2010 LD flirters, that has to raise some questions about Labour's traditional base.

According to the British Election study the ex-Labour WWC types that UKIP have won over in this term are those who switched (perhaps reluctantly) to the Conservatives in 2010.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,422
    taffys said:

Very bad news for the Lib Dems long term.

A lib demerung...???

There does seem a lot of bad news for LD's in the long run. Very sad for those of us who want a more liberal society. Stuck between those who write off the disadvantaged on principle and those who seem to be stuck on control-freakery.
  • Options

Norm said:

Roger said:

Interesting spat between Murdoch and Rowling.......

Murdoch "Maybe most Moslems are peaceful, but until they recognize and destroy their growing jihadist cancer they must be held responsible."

Rowling “I was born Christian. If that makes Rupert Murdoch my responsibility, I’ll auto-excommunicate.”

Yes I'm sure the Islington luvvies will find that hilariously funny.

Meanwhile BBC QT in their best traditions of balance have invited the following post-Charlie panel on to the show.

Mehdi Hasan (apologist)
    Sal Brinton (LD Friend of Palestine and apologist))
    Anna Soubry (drippingly wet Tory apologist)
    Wee Dougie (who cares)
    David Starkey (eccentric)

How many of these worthies will be looking to excise the growing Jihadist cancer?
    Starkey? From memory, he is uunbelievably right wing. And I think gay. No t likely to be a friend of salafist Islam. And likes to be controversial.

SOubry practicing her confused face/ righteous anger schtick as we speak no doubt
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,300
    edited January 2015
    Valley Boy

"Please explain to me how The Great Budapest Hotel gets umpteen nominations. Thought it was boring in the extreme. Saw Foxcatcher the other day, brilliant performances and a film I would see again. Imitation Game great fun, even if historically inaccurate,and my choice for Oscars, ahead of Theory of Everything. Also an honourable mention for the anti UKIP film, Paddington, which gave me the most laughs of any film in the last year."

I agree with most of that. Wes Anderson is a quirky film maker. You either love them or fall asleep and that was about the best he's done. It's a bit like Monty Python. You either get it or you don't. I also enjoyed Paddington and thought Imitation Game better than Theory of.. Despite the brilliant mimicry of Redmayne (which will almost certainly win him the Oscar) Cumberbatch was more convincing to me as a problem solver
  • Options
    Norm Starkey is no fool and is always entertaining, Aaronovitch is often on as well
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Mehdi Hasan is an utter waste of space.

Read this and you will know exactly what he will say - http://hurryupharry.org/2015/01/14/being-an-islamist/
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    If ukip are on the slide there will be big big value in backing the fav or 2nd fav in the seats I mentioned as possible wins

The likes of castle point, Thanet North, Dudley North, Yarmouth, Grimsby, Folkestone, Dover, and so on

Think there about 20 seats that ukip are 3/1 or shorter in, worth a look and better than going under 10% I think because 10-11% means 2-3 seats max
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Roger said:

Valley Boy

"Please explain to me how The Great Budapest Hotel gets umpteen nominations. Thought it was boring in the extreme. Saw Foxcatcher the other day, brilliant performances and a film I would see again. Imitation Game great fun, even if historically inaccurate,and my choice for Oscars, ahead of Theory of Everything. Also an honourable mention for the anti UKIP film, Paddington, which gave me the most laughs of any film in the last year."

I agree with most of that. Wes Anderson is a quirky film maker. You either love them or fall asleep and that was about the best he's done. It's a bit like Monty Python. You either get it or you don't. I also enjoyed Paddington and thought Imitation Game better than Theory of.. Despite the brilliant mimicry of Redmayne (which will almost certainly win him the Oscar) Cumberbatch was more convincing to me as a problem solver

Like that Roger. My wife and I saw "Budapest" soon after it came out. I thought it was brilliant; she, more matter of fact didn't. As you say, Pythonesque.
    We've not seen the Hawkinge film yet; our daughter died of MND a year ago after a very horrifying few months. The idea of seeing someone surviving with it, and doing what Hawking has done, isn't something we fancy.
    Agree about the inaccuracy of Imitation Game; the "heroine" in particular was not, I understand, well drawn. Cumberbatch was very, very believable, though.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    HYUFD said:

Norm Starkey is no fool and is always entertaining, Aaronovitch is often on as well

Yup he is no fool but he might portrayed as being outside the mainstream on that panel and that might be a concern . We shall see.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Read this and you will know exactly what he will say - http://hurryupharry.org/2015/01/14/being-an-islamist/

Murray sees off Hasan

http://youtu.be/Mq3amYWzYik
  • Options
    isam said:

If ukip are on the slide there will be big big value in backing the fav or 2nd fav in the seats I mentioned as possible wins

The likes of castle point, Thanet North, Dudley North, Yarmouth, Grimsby, Folkestone, Dover, and so on

Think there about 20 seats that ukip are 3/1 or shorter in, worth a look and better than going under 10% I think because 10-11% means 2-3 seats max

How's the case against the UKIP man in Yarmouth going?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416

Lab lead up with these

http://electionforecast.co.uk/

They say that popular vote TODAY would be:

Lab 31.8
    Con 29.4

Where do these figures come from? The don't seem to tie into current polls - Lab current polling lead is surely less than 2.4% however it is calculated.
  • Options

isam said:

I don't know sorry, I'm not involved at all
  • Options
    Norm Maybe, but in some ways he connects better than Aaronovitch who is basically a New Labour propogandist
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

I don't know sorry, I'm not involved at all
    I am sure you are well out of it! Reports on local news seem to have stopped though. I wonder if there's some sort of recess.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    OT
    classic own goal by labour attacking tories on NHS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLcwhgrxTWs
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Artist, I am not sure how that could be in places like Doncaster, the Rother Valley and Heywood. If you take the latter, Labour's share stayed the same but that was because many ex-LDs switched back to Labour, so they must have lost some to UKIP. In those parts of Yorkshire, even if 100pc of Conservative voters went to UKIP, it would nowhere near explain their performance.

• Options
    MikeL said:

Lab lead up with these

Lab 31.8
    Con 29.4

Where do these figures come from? The don't seem to tie into current polls - Lab current polling lead is surely less than 2.4% however it is calculated.
    Certainly a big leap in the Labour lead from this forecaster - from 3 seats over the Tories earlier today to 12 seats now.
    It's looking bad yet again for the Tories - wehever they close the gap, they seem to get slapped down again ..... Dave simply doesn't have it in him does he?
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 606
    ps
    An honourable mention for the brilliantly shot Mr Turner, with Timothy Small a very credible Turner. One regret that I didn't know as much about the guy as I thought and would have been better to have read up a bit beforehand. On the other hand do NOT Google John du Pont before you see the excellent Foxcatcher as it will spoil your evening!
  • Options
    O/T
    A terrific share price performance from Betfair over the past 3 months with their price having increased from 1100p to 1680p (incl a special redemption dividend).
    Meanwhie Ladbrokes have remained stalled at 110p over the same period.

Speaks volumes really.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Murray sees off Hasan

If any non-Muslim had described Muslims as "living like animals" they would be sacked as a journalist and never be invited on a mainstream TV channel again. But the hypocrisy of the left allow him to get away with it. What's shameful is that the BBC, supposedly an impartial public service, helps enforce this double standard.
  • Options
    Joe Wozniczka-Wells (@joe_wozza)
    15/01/2015 18:52
    KP unveils this 2 days after claiming he wasn't one of the top four egos in the England team. You couldn't make it up independent.co.uk/sport/cricket
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    16 weeks to go!

And Ave it projects

CON 296
    LAB 265
    LD 35
    SNP 14
    PC 5
    UKIP 1
    GRN 1
    NI 18

CON + LD = 331. Nick is David's friend really :)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,416
    edited January 2015

MikeL said:

Lab lead up with these

Lab 31.8
    Con 29.4

Certainly a big leap in the Labour lead from this forecaster - from 3 seats over the Tories earlier today to 12 seats now.
    It's looking bad yet again for the Tories - wehever they close the gap, they seem to get slapped down again ..... Dave simply doesn't have it in him does he?
    Not sure I would agree with that.

Polls in Jan so far are good for Con - average Lab lead below 1%.

If Kellner is right that close on votes will be close on seats then Con is, potentially, in not a bad position.

In many ways Cameron is an amazing politician - criticised by just about everyone, hated by a large number of so called Con supporters and yet he's miles more popular than the Con Party and easily the most preferred person to be PM. Bit of a conundrum, isn't it!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited January 2015
    Two new polls in the next couple of hours - the usual YouGov and the January survey from TNS-BMRB.

Then tomorrow we have Populus which on Monday had LAB 5& ahead.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Socrates said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Murray sees off Hasan

If any non-Muslim had described Muslims as "living like animals" they would be sacked as a journalist and never be invited on a mainstream TV channel again. But the hypocrisy of the left allow him to get away with it. What's shameful is that the BBC, supposedly an impartial public service, helps enforce this double standard.
    Hasans uses as evidence that the 7/7 bomber assimilated 'they played cricket'

Wonder if it will ever catch on in Pakistan?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The only hope left for Ukip is to go green as has been suggested here.It has been left on the wrong side of the economic curve unless it does.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,406
    edited January 2015

The only hope left for Ukip is to go green as has been suggested here.It has been left on the wrong side of the economic curve unless it does.

Funny, you've been telling us for months that they were a front for Murdoch. please do try and keep your tin foil conspiracies consistent. Or maybe you think they are secretly being controlled by the Pope like some modern day secret Jesuit spy ring.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Funny, you've been telling us for months that they were a front for Murdoch. please do try and keep your tin foil conspiracies consistent. Or maybe you think they are secretly being controlled by the Pope like some modern day secret Jesuit spy ring.
    funny how UKIP supporters have been trying to hide away from the racism within the party. Just Google UKIP racist and see what you find..
  • Options
    The Sun reports that their exclusive poll shows that 7 in 10 back Greens to take part in TV election debate ....... will PB.com be leading on this story tomorrow morning?

Thought not.
  • Options
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories tied on 32%:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,412
    32/32/16/8/6 - permafrost continues...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    BBC news

Story of a16 year old pupil whose virginity was taken by her religious studies teacher in a school cupboard
    Judge: She groomed him

You couldn't make it up
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

funny how UKIP supporters have been trying to hide away from the racism within the party. Just Google UKIP racist and see what you find..
    You could say the same of the Conservative, Labour and Lib Dem parties.
  • Options
    YouGov/Sun:

CON 32 (=)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    LIB 6 (=)
    UKIP 16 (+1)
    GRN 8 (+1)

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,228
    UKIP 16, Greens 8 , LibDems ?
  • Options
    isam said:

BBC news

Story of a16 year old pupil whose virginity was taken by her religious studies teacher in a school cupboard

You couldn't make it up

Not so long ago that wasn't even a crime, not sure it should be - just a disciplinary matter for the teacher.

• Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,896
    edited January 2015

YouGov/Sun:

CON 32 (=)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    LIB 6 (=)
    UKIP 16 (+1)
    GRN 8 (+1)

Plus ça change

BTW TSE have you given up writing PB threads?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,419
    edited January 2015

The Sun reports that their exclusive poll shows that 7 in 10 back Greens to take part in TV election debate ....... will PB.com be leading on this story tomorrow morning?

Well, that's bad news for Dave's enemies - UKIP in particular. A best the public the will be indifferent to Dave's boycott; at worst they'll view him as the custodian of British democracy and hero of the little man.
  • Options

What is the Pope's input on this?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

isam said:

BBC news

You couldn't make it up

Not so long ago that wasn't even a crime, not sure it should be - just a disciplinary matter for the teacher.

Sometimes not even that, indeed it could mark you out for the most powerful teaching role in the country:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/1999/apr/11/martinbright.theobserver1

What a liberal/pervy bunch we were in the seventies...
  • Options

YouGov/Sun:

CON 32 (=)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    LIB 6 (=)
    UKIP 16 (+1)
    GRN 8 (+1)

Plus ça change

I wrote this thread.

I'll still be doing the occasional thread here and there and Mike's booked his holiday for June.

Where'll I'll be standing in again for Mike.

If I'm honest my last stint as Guest Editor really took a lot out of me emotionally.

It covered the tail end of the Indyref, the aftermath, the conference season, Reckless defecting, a reported defection, The Clacton and Heywood by elections.

• Options
    Starkey 'Islam was once the centre of the world, open and engaged, once it closed in on itself and ended freedom of thought nothing interesting has been written in Arabic for 500 years'
  • Options

Sublimely moronic.

If the tory party has the misfortune 8 to have your allegiance, ponder the fact that Aidan Burley still has the party whip because an internal inquiry decided that it isn't racist to dress up as a nazi and toast the third reich. Ukip expels people like that.

• Options

YouGov/Sun:

CON 32 (=)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    LIB 6 (=)
    UKIP 16 (+1)
    GRN 8 (+1)

Plus ça change

I wrote this thread.

I'll still be doing the occasional thread here and there and Mike's booked his holiday for June.

If I'm honest my last stint as Guest Editor really took a lot out of me emotionally.

It covered the tail end of the Indyref, the aftermath, the conference season, Reckless defecting, a reported defection, The Clacton and Heywood by elections.

June should be quiet. Shouldn't it??? What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191

Two new polls in the next couple of hours - the usual YouGov and the January survey from TNS-BMRB.

Then tomorrow we have Populus which on Monday had LAB 5& ahead.

Are TNS still going?

I remember when they started up just before 2010 election, it was sooooooooo exciting to have a new pollster, LOL!

Not as exciting as when the first "Harris" poll appeared for years though. I wonder whether Harris will poll for 2-15? Or Gallup, LOL.

• Options

YouGov/Sun:

CON 32 (=)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    LIB 6 (=)
    UKIP 16 (+1)
    GRN 8 (+1)

Plus ça change

I wrote this thread.

Yep, you certainly put in a tremendous stint in the final few months of 2014.
    Mike Smithson and indeed all PBers owe you a great deal, no doubt about it.

Shocked and horrified to learn that OGH isn't on holiday again until June.
  • Options
    QT unwatchable with Soubry, Hasan and Starkey... Too much!
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Dream on.

• Options

Dream on.

You omitted the final two words of my post!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sourby is 9/4 - get on that. Far superior to the retread who lost last time.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

YouGov/Sun:

CON 32 (=)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    LIB 6 (=)
    UKIP 16 (+1)
    GRN 8 (+1)

Plus ça change

I wrote this thread.

Mike normally takes his holidays in May, he thought it would be wise to delay it a few weeks this year.

Then I pointed out this scenario

7th of May: General Election

8th of May: The Result, a well hung parliament with no realistic viable government

18th of May: Parliament meets, and as Dave is still the incumbent PM, a vote of no confidence in the government, which the government loses.

1st of June: The Provisions of the Fixed Term parliament act kicks in and a new general election is called.

2nd of June: The Tory Party and the Labour Party decide to remove Dave and Ed before the second election.

So I'll be editing PB during a potential currency crisis, two leadership elections and a general election campaign.

Because nothing ever happens when Mike's on holiday in Spain.
  • Options

Try googling Tory racist or Tory homophobe and then crawl back under your rock you hypocrite.

UKIP throw them out. The Tory party keep them as councillors and MPs. You should be utterly ashamed.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,948
    edited January 2015

YouGov/Sun:

CON 32 (=)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    LIB 6 (=)
    UKIP 16 (+1)
    GRN 8 (+1)

Plus ça change

I wrote this thread.

Yep, you certainly put in a tremendous stint in the final few months of 2014.
    Mike Smithson and indeed all PBers owe you a great deal, no doubt about it.

Shocked and horrified to learn that OGH isn't on holiday again until June.
    That stint also covered speculation about Alan Johnson replacing Ed and Nick Clegg quitting during his speech

Mike thinks after the election he's going to need a longish break.

I enjoyed the stint, the high points were when Newsnight did a segment based on a thread I did and erm Kevin Maguire quoted one of pieces on the Sky Paper review (although he said it was Mike that wrote it)
  • Options

welshowl said:

YouGov/Sun:

CON 32 (=)
    LAB 32 (-2)
    LIB 6 (=)
    UKIP 16 (+1)
    GRN 8 (+1)

Plus ça change

I wrote this thread.

Mike normally takes his holidays in May, he thought it would be wise to delay it a few weeks this year.

Then I pointed out this scenario

7th of May: General Election

8th of May: The Result, a well hung parliament with no realistic viable government

18th of May: Parliament meets, and as Dave is still the incumbent PM, a vote of no confidence in the government, which the government loses.

1st of June: The Provisions of the Fixed Term parliament act kicks in and a new general election is called.

2nd of June: The Tory Party and the Labour Party decide to remove Dave and Ed before the second election.

So I'll be editing PB during a potential currency crisis, two leadership elections and a general election campaign.

Because nothing ever happens when Mike's on holiday in Spain.
    True but your scenario should have great odds mind ;-)
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    isam said:

A truly painful experience.

The highlight so far has been Starkey calling Mehdi Hasan, Ahmed.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Even if PtP gives his all again during the election campaign for the Labour candidate?
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Even if PtP gives his all again during the election campaign for the Labour candidate?
    It's the same in Cambridge - Labour putting up the guy the voters told to do one last time. They saw them in action and said no more we want a better MP.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited January 2015
    Events in Belgium.

It is notable that authorities in Brussels said that the arrest of an arms dealer in Southern Belgium, who reportedly brokered weapon supply to Kosher supermarket terrorist Amedy Coulibaly, wasn't related to todays events.

It is, indirectly. The understanding is that Coulibaly may have also been a link man to others elsewhere, including kit supply. To that end he may have been a very useful jigsaw piece and its an assumption that he may have left some breadcrumbs behind him along with others involved in events in Paris.

What has been seen in Belgium today is a fraction of what is going on in terms of suppression and interdiction activities by Western European agencies in the last 48 hours and will continue. In reality for Belgium its about time something direct has been done like this, the country has, in scale terms, a Jihadi issue as near as substantive and near as long standing as we do.

There does seem to be a race against time situation on. One country though seems to have escaped the Jihadist actions... Germany. It has plenty of them, has awful issues monitoring them. It is due trouble.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    I see Green party membership has overtaken Lib Dem membership while I was at 5-a-side. Maybe they'll overtake Labour when I play 11-a-side over the weekend!
  • Options
    Neil said:

I see Green party membership has overtaken Lib Dem membership while I was at 5-a-side. Maybe they'll overtake Labour when I play 11-a-side over the weekend!

The Green surge continues!

How many Green candidates will be standing? It may affect a few bets.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

isam said:

BBC news

You couldn't make it up

Not so long ago, it was something that wholesome figures like Doris Day sang about approvingly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc7g96GYBx0
  • Options
    Neil said:

I am soooo going to win my bet with you.

The early settlement discount offer is still available.

I'll take £300 now.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Anna Soubry thinks she knows better than a trial judge. Silly woman.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Neil said:

The target was 500 before this latest surge (there was a surge in Scotland after the Indy ref and then one everywhere after the initial exclusion from the debates). That has to be quite likely more with the potential of a a surprise on the upside. 4,000 or so members in 2 days and momentum isnt slacking yet.

• Options
    I wish Nate Silver of 538.com fame would enter the fray with his forecast of the GE result in May ...... especially as it now seems clear that Son of OGM is not planning any re-run of his VIPA seat predictor or whatever today's equivalent model is called.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

isam said:

A truly painful experience.

The highlight so far has been Starkey calling Mehdi Hasan, Ahmed.
    I saw that bit... Pretty poor show really, hope it wasn't deliberate... and then came Soubrys hammy acting to deliver the final blow to my viewing pleasure

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,311
    Only 1 possible line for the politicos to take on this case, which is as good an argument as any for seperation of justice and Government.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Will probably be Soubry's final outing as an MP before Dr Nick boot's her out of Broxtowe! ;)

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,311
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Will probably be Soubry's final outing as an MP before Dr Nick boot's her out of Broxtowe! ;)

And thank god for that.
  • Options
    This is going to cause a few people to have aneurysms.

Think of the children, why won't anyone think of the children?

Plans to open the first LGBT school in the UK are under way,with funding secured, and a site selected in Manchester.

The school, which is being planned by LGBT Youth North West, will host 40 full-time pupils, and will be established in the heart of the city.

Some part time places will be available for pupils who wish to continue attending a mainstream school.

The school is aimed at LGBT students who struggle to fit in at mainstream schools, but will also be open to any other children who wish to attend.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/01/15/uks-first-lgbt-school-planned-for-the-manchester/
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

The target was 500 before this latest surge (there was a surge in Scotland after the Indy ref and then one everywhere after the initial exclusion from the debates). That has to be quite likely more with the potential of a a surprise on the upside. 4,000 or so members in 2 days and momentum isnt slacking yet.

Is that 500 in England and Wales, or UK wide?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    antifrank said:

isam said:

BBC news

You couldn't make it up

Not so long ago, it was something that wholesome figures like Doris Day sang about approvingly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc7g96GYBx0
    She is singing about a pupil having a crush on a teacher.. That is quite commonplace I'd have thought and pretty natural

But teacher shagging the student in the cupboard isn't quite as wholesome, and is an abuse of his position
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306

This is going to cause a few people to have aneurysms.

Think of the children, why won't anyone think of the children?

Plans to open the first LGBT school in the UK are under way,with funding secured, and a site selected in Manchester.

The school, which is being planned by LGBT Youth North West, will host 40 full-time pupils, and will be established in the heart of the city.

Some part time places will be available for pupils who wish to continue attending a mainstream school.

The school is aimed at LGBT students who struggle to fit in at mainstream schools, but will also be open to any other children who wish to attend.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/01/15/uks-first-lgbt-school-planned-for-the-manchester/

Had to check about 10 times that it wasn't an Onion article.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    As an It professional I have to admit he has made recruitment that much easier

We only now need to ask if they believe Cameron's stance on encryption is correct. If they say yes we know they are not worth employing
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited January 2015
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Even with that prospect I'm still too tired to watch, I had a surprisingly turbulent day and it seems another 2 weeks of turmoil to care for Soubry.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Didn't the electorate vote him out before ? He's like knotweed.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    edited January 2015
    @TheScreamingEagles
    At least the Tories will be safe from trauma, it is the reason Gove created "free" schools.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

He's not the only former MP that Labour has reselected to fight in 2015, someone thought of negating the incumbency bonus of Tory MP's that way.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

He's not the only former MP that Labour has reselected to fight in 2015, someone thought of negating the incumbency bonus of Tory MP's that way.
    As I mentioned Cambridge is the same. Same old Labour thinking they know better than the voters - see EU referendum also..
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited January 2015
    TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Yup. The siren call of the lovely perks available to MPs must be hard to resist.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, but the swing was much lower than that national average so he deserve's a second go round, IMO.

• Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Another miserable failure from the latest AGW proponent, Volcanopete, on here today. No evidence presented whatsoever to back up his case, and easily put in his place by Mr Tyndall.

And what an incredible day in the financial markets it has been. If you'd asked me 24 hours ago how long the Euro Swiss peg at 1.20 would last, I would have said until late on this year once we get past the great turn date of 1st October this year. It gives us some idea of the incredible pressures that have been building on the SNB, deposit rate of -0.75% and trading above parity against the Euro at the moment at EURCHF 0.9934! And into the bargain, all Swiss government debt below a term of 7 years trading on negative yield! If that's not a sign of extreme capital preservation in the markets then I don't know what is! The action just after 9.30am was around the most chaotic I've ever seen in Forex, on a par with that on Black Wednesday - an excellent summary here: http://armstrongeconomics.com/2015/01/15/swiss-peg-collapses-the-euros-nightmare/

The CHF 15% appreciation today is seriously bad news for a lot of Eastern European mortgage holders who were attracted to CHF mortgages at very low interest rates. But its no fun to find you owe 15% more in real terms tonight compared to a day ago. So expect there to be pain in the CHF mortgage space over the coming months.

Also Dr Copper, that great bellweather of the commodities has been succumbing to the emerging deflation trend, which is seriously bad news for Chile, and yet another indicator of the weakness of the global economy.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Yup. The siren call of the lovely perks available to MPs must be hard to resist.
    I know you got it wrong last time dear Broxtowe - give me another chance to languish on the back benches....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,227
    Y0kel said:

There does seem to be a race against time situation on. One country though seems to have escaped the Jihadist actions... Germany. It has plenty of them, has awful issues monitoring them. It is due trouble.

Their security services seem to be doing a good job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_bomb_plot_in_Germany

This discussion has been closed.