Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If you were think of betting on LAB following this afternoo

Comments

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,934
    isam said:

"Labour has traditionally been grossly under-represented on this site "

tim left well over a year ago and had posted over 10,000 times

He or she was one individual - if you count all the posts from all the Conservatives in the time it took Tim to reach 10,000 I reckon they'd be well in front of him/her.

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited January 2015
    US concedes they should have sent a higher-ranking envoy to Paris...

White House "monitoring" the hack...

Not a good day for Uncle Sam, is it?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,585
    I'm just going to comment, very quickly, on Rotherham. 25 years ago, Lord Aldington sued two men for libel for (wrongly) claiming that he had ordered the handing over of pro-Nazi Cossack groups to official Soviet forces to be massacred (he had executed the order from the Allied High Command, which is a bit different). He won. Because one of the defendants was conducting a deliberate smear campaign due to failing to get a sum of money on an insurance policy he wasn't entitled to, and the other was a very right-wing political activist who hated Aldington's guts (and those of Harold Macmillan, the other man implicated) huge damages were awarded.

To date, of the £2 million in damages and costs, around £58,000 has been paid. To add a charming dimension to the affair, it was rumoured - nobody knows by whom - that Aldington had intervened to get the MoD to suppress conclusive evidence of his guilt. As a result of financial hardship and distress at the subsequent smears, Aldington died shortly after. It ruined his life and his reputation, even though he was undoubtedly in the right and at least one of the defendants was clearly conducting a smear campaign as part of a personal vendetta.

If UKIP defend this, the only way they can do it is by pleading justification - in other words, massively defaming the people who have brought the action and proving or at least trying to prove that they were perversely and wilfully blind to what was happening. At that stage, win or lose, Rotherham and the appalling scandal that happened there will be splashed all over the tabloids in the nastiest manner possible for weeks on end, coupled with MacShane being back in the news. If UKIP win - it's hard to imagine a worse financial and political disaster for the plaintiffs. If they lose, what odds the defendant transfers assets elsewhere, declares bankruptcy and never pays a penny of damages, the Labour MPs are themselves forced into bankruptcy, and all the mud thrown at them sort of sticks anyway?

An insane decision, however you look at it. Labour can't possibly win in that scenario.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    SeanT said:

But I wonder if we are now past the Golden Age of TV drama (already). Breaking Bad and Spartacus, West Wing and the Wire, Borgias and Battlestar, Deadwood, House and the Killing, oh, how we miss you...

There's another The Bridge in the second half of 2015. In the meantime I've just bought the 3-series box of Homeland, having enjoyed a couple of random episodes on planes. No spoilers please...

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,293
    Yes, saw 'Theory of Everything' at the weekend, he was brilliant, even Hawking said he almost thought he was watching himself
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Incidentally, tried the American House of Cards, and thought it very meh (whereas the British one was just silly IMO), with the asides to camera just irritating. I wonder if political dramas which present themselves as artful and knowing are generally disliked by politicians? Either they're accurate, in which case so what, or they're just some script-writers idea bearing little relation to reality.

The reason Yes Minister worked so well and still is worth seeing) is that it's gently satirical but goes with the flow of real life, so we can laugh at the witty insight on what things are actually like. The Thick of It was popular in political circles too, but that was because it didn't pretend to be insightful, it was just everyone's idea of Alastair Campbell multipled by 10. Borgen and West Wing worked OK because they're straight dramas which are reasonably believable, but I think they both worked best when they got outside Parliament/Congress into personal lives..
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

What were the changes from the last LA poll ?

Tories up 4
    Lab down 3
    UKIP down 3
    LD nc
    Green up 3
    Thanks Sunil - Greens hoovering up all those Kipper voters ;)

Is it going to be a colour coded election?
    Vote Purple Get Red
    Vote Yellow get Blue
    Vote Saltire get Red White and Big Blue
    Vote Green get what you're given
    Vote Blue get pale Green (Blue and Yellow mix)
    Vote Red see stars (yellow ones on a blue background)
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
  • Options
    edited January 2015

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Tories up 4
    Lab down 3
    UKIP down 3
    LD nc
    Green up 3

Vote Purple Get Red
    Vote Yellow get Blue
    More like vote Blue get purple. (Just a different purple, via a grand coalition.)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,293
    NP Spacey is very good though and what is more they made him a Democrat, when villains are usually Republican in US politics dramas. Am halfway through season 2 and need to finish before season 3 in February
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    "A UKIP spokesperson said "We are unable to comment at the moment, as this is an ongoing case."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-30784167

It wouldn't be a crude attempt to keep the story out of any election campaigns by any chance?

Didn't a former Labour MP suggest he hadn't done enough in the past address constituents' concerns?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,956
    edited January 2015
    Sean

'Boyhood' was unique. Made over twelve years. Patricia Arquette starts thin and attractive and ends up plump and motherly. It's compelling as is the story of the family. 'Budapest' was good but typical Wes Anderson. If you like them that was one of his best.

'Birdman' was also good and it's quite an achievement making a genre out of of multi layered stories. Of his last three I thought this was his weakest. As for Keaton he deserved something if nothing else for his Times Square scene which would almost certainly have been shot for real. Redmayne would always win for such a flawless impersonation though I have to say the film left me disappointed
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I'm just going to comment, very quickly, on Rotherham.
    - snip to save space-
    If UKIP defend this, the only way they can do it is by pleading justification - in other words, massively defaming the people who have brought the action and proving or at least trying to prove that they were perversely and wilfully blind to what was happening. At that stage, win or lose, Rotherham and the appalling scandal that happened there will be splashed all over the tabloids in the nastiest manner possible for weeks on end, coupled with MacShane being back in the news. If UKIP win - it's hard to imagine a worse financial and political disaster for the plaintiffs. If they lose, what odds the defendant transfers assets elsewhere, declares bankruptcy and never pays a penny of damages, the Labour MPs are themselves forced into bankruptcy, and all the mud thrown at them sort of sticks anyway?

An insane decision, however you look at it. Labour can't possibly win in that scenario.

Suing anybody for anything is generally very silly. Generally. I do not know the detail of what was said. If the detail is clearly libelous and based on a 'Lord McAlpine' (or perhaps more correctly a Mrs Bercow) type rush to judgement that is demonstrably untrue, then it would likely never get to court.
    This sounds a more cloudy affair though that could descend into semantics.
    Never mind the conference speech, did not this lady (who looks a typical female kipper clone - there I've said it) also tweet some loose tongued paedo (alleged) accusation at a Labour MP? She was then I think forced to fully retract.
  • Options
    Trying hard to suspend my disbelief at the flaws in the Ashcroft poll eg sudden spike in Green support, drop in red Libs , Tories leading in the Midlands, higher Labour certainty to vote not reflected in the final analysis.I could point to more flaws in this poll but I feel sorry for Ashcroft for wasting so much money on such nonsense.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited January 2015
    This may have been posted already but that Ashcroft poll is, I think, the highest Conservative lead for over 3 years: since 15th December 2011 and even that only matched. There hasn't been a bigger Conservative lead for over 4 years, since October 2010.

If it wasn't for Populus there might be hasty rejoicing, but there's some good tempering from Anthony Wells and Mike Smithson. Nevertheless, Mike, in the interests of balance I wonder if a dedicated thread about that might not be appropriate?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

So now, having had everyone one of your alternative arguments tested positive for geriatric drool, you're reduced to saying:

"the general point that our response should not be simplistic seems right to me."

Fantastic. Brilliant. That's so INCISIVE. Without you and Gary Yonge I expect most people would have been saying, Look, what we really need here is a totally simplistic response that does no good at all.

Err, you are the one who pointed us to Gary Younge's unremarkable article. I agree it doesn't say anything very much.

Next time, please make sure you find something a bit more meaty so that we can get properly outraged.
    For the last time, the article says we are collectively responsible for the Paris outrages. It even manages to imply that Brits are responsible for "conditions" in France.

The whole piece is a disgraceful litany of mendacity and a deliberate attempt to morally obscure, dressed up as a balanced piece of mature analysis.

But, yawn. It's the Guardian. Did we expect better? On that point you are maybe right.

Hurry up YouGov, we need distracting. And I need a new TV drama series to watch. I have finally run out.
    Are you watching Spirals series 5 yet ?
    I got slightly bored by the end of Series 1, so, no. Does it markedly improve?!

I am trying the Italian series Gomorrah... so far it's OK ish.

But I wonder if we are now past the Golden Age of TV drama (already). Breaking Bad and Spartacus, West Wing and the Wire, Borgias and Battlestar, Deadwood, House and the Killing, oh, how we miss you...
    Gosh I don't think many in television or film would agree with that. In the UK series like The Fall and Broadchurch are very well made and there's some great material in the US. I'm just watching Orange is the New Black.

Oh, and my all-time favourite TV drama ever is still very much in play: Game of Thrones.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

This may have been posted already but that Ashcroft poll is, I think, the highest Conservative lead for over 3 years: since 15th December 2011 and even that only matched. There hasn't been a bigger Conservative lead for over 4 years, since October 2010.

If it wasn't for Populus there might be hasty rejoicing, but there's some good tempering from Anthony Wells and Mike Smithson. Nevertheless, Mike, in the interests of balance I wonder if a dedicated thread about that might not be appropriate?

What happened to not looking at the polls until feb?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If UKIP defend this, the only way they can do it is by pleading justification - in other words, massively defaming the people who have brought the action and proving or at least trying to prove that they were perversely and wilfully blind to what was happening.

Justification has been superseded by the defence of truth under the Defamation Act 2003, s. 2. Defences under section 3 and 4 of that Act (honest opinion & publication on a matter of public interest) may also be pleaded. In addition, the claimants must show that the statement's publication has caused or is likely to cause serious harm to the reputation of the claimants. If the questionable judgment of Bean J in Cooke v MGN [2014] EMLR 31 is followed, satisfying this requirement is going to be very difficult indeed for claimants.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

breaking: ISIS hack twitter feed of US Central Command...

That is f***ing serious if true.
    Someone's going to Hacked Off for real!

• Options
    Socrates said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Tories up 4
    Lab down 3
    UKIP down 3
    LD nc
    Green up 3

Vote Purple Get Red
    Vote Yellow get Blue
    More like vote Blue get purple. (Just a different purple, via a grand coalition.)
    It is clearly time to weaponise the spectrum. ''Mr President we must close the Rainbow Gap''.
    My list was not meant to be definitive and was not particularly objective and was hopefully intended to raise a smile. You have certainly caused a chuckle. All right I'll be honest - an uproarious guffaw.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Trying hard to suspend my disbelief at the flaws in the Ashcroft poll

At last. For a moment I thought there would be no labour sour grapes to laugh at. Where's Compouter and big John Owls??
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/paris-attacks-dont-blame-these-atrocities-on-security-failures-9970228.html

Another great article by our foremost expert on the Middle East. Our political elite has a lot to answer for with their invade the world, invite the world policies.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2015
    Kenyan-born former policewoman Rozila Kana selected by the Tories in Workington:

http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/news/politics/tories-choose-their-workington-candidate-for-general-election-1.1185691#
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The left have Farage banged to rights on twitter. Apparently he has talked about ''standing up for our Judeo-Christian Culture.''

Well, it's all over bar the shouting now. That's it for Farage. The cats out of the bag. The sh8t's hit the fan. The mask has slipped. Other cliches suggesting UKIP have had it.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    The extraordinary thing with these polls is the labour score at the recent min. in one and recent max. in the other.

It may reflect something that is true out in the electorate, that the labour vote is softer and more open to change than the remaining core of libdem, the zeal of new converts attracted to UKIP, the stoic resignation of those who have stuck with the Tory party, and the wide eyed ideology that is essential to add the illusion of lustre to the offerings from the greens.
  • Options
    Sean, also look out for what looks a sensationally good rendition of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell on BBC1 this year.
  • Options
    taffys said:

At last. For a moment I thought there would be no labour sour grapes to laugh at. Where's Compouter and big John Owls??

BJO is still trying to find a Baxterization that gives EMICIPM.

Unfortunately EMWNBPM.

• Options

Why on earth should we take notice of one poll. Its clear that they are all over the place. A spike is followed by a ... a... opposite of spike.
    All we can point to is a trend over 18 months.
    The clear fact is that for 4.5 years we the electorate have known the election and the decision to vote is May 7 and not at some odd time at the PMs choosing. The decision on how to vote is put off. There are likely to be debates - something else to wait for. All points to no certainty amongst swing voters. And behind it all is a clear and significant margin for error and a swathe of funny methodologies and adjustments and methods of sampling.

As our American cousins say ... Go Figure.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    "Standing up for our Judeo-Christian culture" sounds like a massive vote-winner to me.
    taffys said:

The left have Farage banged to rights on twitter. Apparently he has talked about ''standing up for our Judeo-Christian Culture.''

Well, it's all over bar the shouting now. That's it for Farage. The cats out of the bag. The sh8t's hit the fan. The mask has slipped. Other cliches suggesting UKIP have had it.

• Options
    Tories leading in the Midlands surprises you? I'll bet a considerable amount they'll win the popular vote in the Midlands rather easily.

Trying hard to suspend my disbelief at the flaws in the Ashcroft poll eg sudden spike in Green support, drop in red Libs , Tories leading in the Midlands, higher Labour certainty to vote not reflected in the final analysis.I could point to more flaws in this poll but I feel sorry for Ashcroft for wasting so much money on such nonsense.

• Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited January 2015
    @Roger

"'Birdman' was also good and it's quite an achievement making a genre out of of multi layered stories. Of his last three I thought this was his weakest. As for Keaton he deserved something if nothing else for his Times Square scene which would almost certainly have been shot for real. Redmayne would always win for such a flawless impersonation though I have to say the film left me disappointed"

Last weekend we saw "Birdman" at maybe one of the best cinemas on the planet (Arts, Cambridge), and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's remarkably American. The script is tight. As theatre goers we were fascinated by the underlying thread playing with reality. Not a great film, but darn good.

And it's funny. Halfway through I was nearly overpowered by sympathy for the French and an appreciation for their Republicanism and definitive contributions to European culture.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Tories are almost always ahead in the Midlands across the pollsters who run it as a single segment - Yougov combine with Wales.
  • Options
    isam said:

Socrates said:

taffys said:

Looking at the numbers, is a tory kipper alliance completely out of the question?

Maybe the voters have a sense of humour after all

Who needs an alliance? 6% would only be about 1% shy of outright, especially when you consider the LD to Cons English seats (and Lab to SNP in Scotland though that doesn't add to Cons of course).
    You still need about 20 seats north of a majority to run a government. Not that UKIP would be enough to get you there. The only viable parliamentary maths here is Con-SNP or grand coalition, and the SNP have ruled out the former.

EDIT: Tory-LD-DUP might just work.

Of course, this could be, as Lord A says, MoE apart from the rise in the Cons share. Or it could be the sign of a trend. To use the cliche, only time will tell.

taffys said:

This poll is the first for me that reflects what we see when voters turn up and cast ballots in real elections since 2014.

Yep. It could be the first sign of people actually facing up to the real question of how they will actually vote in the actual election.

On the other hand, I want to see fieldwork during first week of February to see the way the wind is blowing. If the Tories go into February with anything like a 6% lead over Labour then it's game over.
    Like I said, Isam.
  • Options
    "Judeo-Christian culture": much of the 2nd half of that phrase spent 1945 of the past 2000 years actively trying to oppress, segregate and exterminate much of the 1st, yet it somehow thinks coining a fancy new hyphenate phrase makes everything hunky-dory.
  • Options
    3 million copies of the next Charlie Hebdo will be printed. If you were a newsagent, would you stock it?
  • Options

isam said:

Socrates said:

taffys said:

Looking at the numbers, is a tory kipper alliance completely out of the question?

Maybe the voters have a sense of humour after all

Who needs an alliance? 6% would only be about 1% shy of outright, especially when you consider the LD to Cons English seats (and Lab to SNP in Scotland though that doesn't add to Cons of course).
    You still need about 20 seats north of a majority to run a government. Not that UKIP would be enough to get you there. The only viable parliamentary maths here is Con-SNP or grand coalition, and the SNP have ruled out the former.

EDIT: Tory-LD-DUP might just work.

Of course, this could be, as Lord A says, MoE apart from the rise in the Cons share. Or it could be the sign of a trend. To use the cliche, only time will tell.

taffys said:

This poll is the first for me that reflects what we see when voters turn up and cast ballots in real elections since 2014.

Yep. It could be the first sign of people actually facing up to the real question of how they will actually vote in the actual election.

On the other hand, I want to see fieldwork during first week of February to see the way the wind is blowing. If the Tories go into February with anything like a 6% lead over Labour then it's game over.
    Like I said, Isam.
    I'm not going to talk about something, and to show that I mean it I will talk about how I'm not talking about it at every possible occasion

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    David Jones ‏@DavidJo52951945 7m7 minutes ago
    Nigel Farage speaks the truth again & establishment can't stand it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2907116/Farage-says-West-bares-culpability-Paris-massacres-foreign-wars-mass-immigration.html
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Sean,if your after a good film to watch,look out for 13 sins.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Nigel Farage speaks the truth again & establishment can't stand it http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2907116/Farage-says-West-bares-culpability-Paris-massacres-foreign-wars-mass-immigration.html

And the only other high profile politician who speaks plainly about it is a Muslim himself. The rest are paralysed by the dear of offending anyone

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Socrates said:
    I expect he's unpopular on Tumblr as well.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    edited January 2015
    Lord Ashcroft is the new "Gold Standard"......until the next one which shows Labour in front and then it will be ICM/Yougov/ARSE/BJESUS/Lambert & Butler (delete where PB Hodges find applicable)

PBHODGESCHERRYPICKINGPOLLSTASTIC!

GOALPOSTSAMUNDOUS!
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    Yet again, a potentially interesting thread ruined by people endlessly prattling on about Islam and Muslims. Give it a rest for heavens sake.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

"Judeo-Christian culture": much of the 2nd half of that phrase spent 1945 of the past 2000 years actively trying to oppress, segregate and exterminate much of the 1st, yet it somehow thinks coining a fancy new hyphenate phrase makes everything hunky-dory.

And given the reverence in which Islam holds the prophets Moses and Isa, Islam is Judeo-Christian anyway.

Not sure what Farage is up to though. We don't live in a Judeo-Christian culture, we live in one founded in 1960s liberalism which says you can do within limits whatever you fecking wanna do without reference to any flavour of Nobodaddy. And a good thing too.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,561
    Just stunning pictures on Sky news of staff trying to deliver a baby from a girl with Ebola. Sky news team hand over their spare kit for the health staff who have nothing suitable.

Unbelievable.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

Yet again, a potentially interesting thread ruined by people endlessly prattling on about Islam and Muslims. Give it a rest for heavens sake.

This site was like this before you did it the honour of joining it in December 2014, and will probably remain like this if you disappoint us all by deciding to feck off to the far side of feck, and then keep right on fecking off some more.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934

Lord Ashcroft is the new "Gold Standard"......until the next one which shows Labour in front and then it will be ICM/Yougov/ARSE/BJESUS/Lambert & Butler (delete where PB Hodges find applicable)

GOALPOSTSAMUNDOUS!

Doubt it will be BJESUS
  • Options

GOALPOSTSAMUNDOUS!

I think you will find that "X is the new gold standard" is a joke. Not to be taken seriously.

• Options
    Including Wales would of course reduce the Tory lead compared to if it were just the Midlands by itself.
    chestnut said:

Tories are almost always ahead in the Midlands across the pollsters who run it as a single segment - Yougov combine with Wales.

• Options
    French Police: six terror cell members may still be at large....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Just stunning pictures on Sky news of staff trying to deliver a baby from a girl with Ebola. Sky news team hand over their spare kit for the health staff who have nothing suitable.

Unbelievable.

That is nuffinck: Miltaryphotos.net have an Oirish Times story that states that the bog-trotters are going to get all of HMAF's spare kit for free. They really should read the small-print begorrah!
  • Options
    isam.

There is a great schoolboy error in that Mail headline

'The West bares responsibility'
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Why's it unbelievable? It's regrettable but not unbelievable. Most of the world's population lives in primitive conditions, whether we like it or not.
    DavidL said:

Unbelievable.

• Options

GOALPOSTSAMUNDOUS!

Doubt it will be BJESUS
    That is immensely illuminating. You are apparently saying that if your analysis of the polls would otherwise show a tory lead you will doctor it to ensure that such a lead is not shown.

Have I misunderstood you?

• Options
    taffys said:

I am here laughing at people taking Ashcroft poll as an indication that the electorate has finally come to its senses
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    ydoethur said:

I'm just going to comment, very quickly, on Rotherham. 25 years ago, Lord Aldington sued two men for libel for (wrongly) claiming that he had ordered the handing over of pro-Nazi Cossack groups to official Soviet forces to be massacred (he had executed the order from the Allied High Command, which is a bit different). He won. Because one of the defendants was conducting a deliberate smear campaign due to failing to get a sum of money on an insurance policy he wasn't entitled to, and the other was a very right-wing political activist who hated Aldington's guts (and those of Harold Macmillan, the other man implicated) huge damages were awarded.

To date, of the £2 million in damages and costs, around £58,000 has been paid. To add a charming dimension to the affair, it was rumoured - nobody knows by whom - that Aldington had intervened to get the MoD to suppress conclusive evidence of his guilt. As a result of financial hardship and distress at the subsequent smears, Aldington died shortly after. It ruined his life and his reputation, even though he was undoubtedly in the right and at least one of the defendants was clearly conducting a smear campaign as part of a personal vendetta.

The only advantage I can see is that the official UKIP site cannot really go to town over Rotherham as much as it would like. However there are plenty of other towns in the UK.
  • Options
    Ahem,

This site has Moderators. Newbs and 'X-posters' should respect this and STFU....

:OGH's-rules-OGH's-gaff:

:imp:
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,561
    AndyJS said:

Why's it unbelievable? It's regrettable but not unbelievable. Most of the world's population lives in primitive conditions, whether we like it or now.

DavidL said:

Unbelievable.

We have supposedly been throwing money at this for the best part of a year now. This was in Sierra Leone. Where we have sent troops to help. We have a vested interest in this terrible disease being contained and medical staff still do not have plastic gloves worthy of the name? What the hell is going on?

Two of the nurses colleagues had died in the last week from trying to help mothers in this position. The loss of trained medical staff inevitably makes things worse. This village was getting no help at all.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    taffys said:

Quiz:

Who killed 6m Jews in 1939-45 ?

a) Christians. b) Buddhists c) Al-Qaeda in the AP d ) IS e) Any other Muslim

Who killed thousands of Jews in pogroms over several centuries ?

So, suddenly Judeo-Christian has become fashionable ?
  • Options
    taffys said:

isam.

Grammar schools vs Comprehensive again ? Or, shall be blame spell-check ?
  • Options
    Just two hours before we see tonight's Sun/YouGov poll. I'm going for the Tories and Labour to each receive 33% support ...... shock horror!
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

isam.

Grammar schools vs Comprehensive again ? Or, shall be blame spell-check ?
    I'd assume that the Mail headline writers are so used to putting puns in that it's become an automatic reflex, so it's less an error more an unconscious twitch.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    surbiton said:

Quiz:

Just shows how bad atheists can be.... Stalin another example.

I'll get my coat..

• Options
    Ashcroft has done a good job in giving us marginal constituency polling. The only problem is because we do not have comparisons, we cannot judge their accuracy.

The monthly poll was more volatile than others anyway.

Not saying, it could be correct but something tells me both the polls are outliers.

Let's wait and see a week. The real picture will emerge sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    Most Jews were killed by Socialist in the early half of Twentieth Century. Socialists are not Christian but secularists.

'Thousands of Jews were killed over centuries'. You really need to stop counting on your fingers: Historically numbers are big. Please grow a brain....

:tumbleweed-slurbitwunt:
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

Quiz:

Just shows how bad atheists can be.... Stalin another example.

I'll get my coat..

Stalin did not kill Jews exclusively ! In fact, many communists were Jews themselves. As the Tories keep reminding us with Miliband Sr.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited January 2015
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

Quiz:

No, the term Judeo/Christian has always been used by the left to show how broadminded they are. A good cover to hide their incipient anti-semitism and their deep distain for the church.

Edit: I use the word incipient to mean developing.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I see the wife of one of the French terrorists managed to escape from the country's port checks by going to Spain first and then flying to Turkey.

Yeah, the EU and it's free movement is fantastic for fighting terrorism. Nice one, Ed.
  • Options
    A very appropriate time to re-release the most reliable analysis of the current polling situation which does not behave like a yo-yo.

The first AASSS [ Adjusted Aggregate Sub Samples Surbitonised ] is out:

Con 257 [ 260 ]
    Lab 298 [ 307 ]
    LD 26 [ 17 ]
    UKIP 4 [ 0 ]
    Grn 1 [ 1 ]
    SNP 42 [ 43 ]
    PC 3 [ 3 ]
    NI 18 [ 18 ]
    Spk 1 [ 1 ]

Note: The comparative figures were NOT ADJUSTED.

The adjustments added 4 to UKIP and 7 to LD.

The bookies also have Labour favourites in 295 seats including 34 in Scotland and 275 for the Tories. According to AASSS, Labour is winning only 13 seats in Scotland against 42 for the SNP [ 43 ]. Some minor corrections made since last night.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

Quiz:

If Hitler was any religion, he was a deist. Most of the rest of the leading Nazis were primarily interested in German paganism or the occult.

• Options
    Socrates said:

surbiton said:

taffys said:

Quiz:

If Hitler was any religion, he was a deist. Most of the rest of the leading Nazis were primarily interested in German paganism or the occult.

The pogroms ?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Socrates said:

I see the wife of one of the French terrorists managed to escape from the country's port checks by going to Spain first and then flying to Turkey.

Yeah, the EU and it's free movement is fantastic for fighting terrorism. Nice one, Ed.

Unless we institute pre crossing border visas, she would have been able to cross the border.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Did Ed take us into the EU ? Or, no passports at borders ? Single market ?
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    Ishmael_X said:

HHemmelig said:

This site was like this before you did it the honour of joining it in December 2014, and will probably remain like this if you disappoint us all by deciding to feck off to the far side of feck, and then keep right on fecking off some more.
    Actually I've been posting here, from time to time, since the site began in 2004.
  • Options
    Stalin did not kill Jews exclusively !
    Typical Labour troll.... :(
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    They've really got the hump! Fatwa declared against snowmen made to look like camels and Arabs in Saudi as they 'represent Western values'

Recent snow in Saudi Arabia saw Saudis eagerly building snowmen
    But a religious scholar has decreed that snowmen are an insult to Islam
    Mohammed Saleh Al Minjed decreed living creatures cannot be recreated
    The ruling says that inanimate objects - and food - can be replicated
    Saudis took to social media to voice their dismay at the ruling http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2906866/They-ve-really-got-hump-Fatwa-declared-against-snowmen-look-like-camels-Arabs-Saudi-represent-Western-values.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
  • Options
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

Quiz:

As to the first, a mixture of Christians, atheists, pagans, and deists.

• Options

You write like a complete idiot but do you have to be so open about it ?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Up to six terror cell members may still be at large after the Paris attacks, say French police.

One of them has been spotted driving a car registered to the partner of one of the dead attackers, according to the authorities.

Police officials said a search was being carried out of the Paris area for the Mini Cooper car registered to Hayat Boumeddiene.
    http://news.sky.com/story/1406696/french-police-six-terrorists-still-at-large
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    AndyJS said:

Tories leading in the Midlands surprises you? I'll bet a considerable amount they'll win the popular vote in the Midlands rather easily.

Jaguar have just announced their new vehicle is to be built in their plant in Brum. 1300 jobs created in the next few months and then further expansion.

Nice looking car as well.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

GOALPOSTSAMUNDOUS!

Doubt it will be BJESUS
    That is immensely illuminating. You are apparently saying that if your analysis of the polls would otherwise show a tory lead you will doctor it to ensure that such a lead is not shown.

Have I misunderstood you?

You have I just meant that no matter if BJESUS turns out to be the most accurate or not a large proportion on here will not give anything associated with a Lab poster any credit.

So couldn't see it ever being praised or reffered to in any positive light.

Eg spot on on SYPCC. Scotland Indy result and Hinchinbrooke hospital

C'est La Vie
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Socrates said:

surbiton said:

taffys said:

Quiz:

The pogroms ?
    Christians, Muslims, and pagans.

• Options
    Awaiting YG before finalising tomorrows BJESUS. Currently would show a significant reduction in Lab plurality but still an EICIPM result.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Sorry son: You are correct. Chinese tablets make communication difficult. :(

Your Neo-facism - and I mean your hatred and ignorance - has not been highlighted enough. You really are a sad sack of number-ones. And we used to think you had the intelligence of Chilon: Sadly you are in the league of IoS and yet struggleng to keep your knuckles away from the cobbles....
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited January 2015
    surbiton said:

Yet despite what Labour have done to us over many administrations, administrations that always always end up the same way you still champion them and Brown and now Ed miliband ?

It's like Labour claiming to be the saviours of the NHS when the only minister ever to private an NHS hospital was Andy Burnham himself.

( please note I did not mention Stafford or the Welsh NHS in that previous statement)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Socrates said:

surbiton said:

taffys said:

Quiz:

The pogroms ?

Yes, somehow Muslims will have to be included. I hadn't realised that the official religion of Tsarist Russia was Islam.

"Fiddler on the Roof" needs to be re-written.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    MikeK said:

Bares defekate in woods, pontiff is Katholik.

Wonder when they will fix it.

• Options
    surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Socrates said:

surbiton said:

taffys said:

Quiz:

The pogroms ?

Yes, somehow Muslims will have to be included. I hadn't realised that the official religion of Tsarist Russia was Islam.

Well, you asked the question, you utter moron, and were given an entirely truthful answer. If you don't like the answer don't ask the question.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1066_Granada_massacre
    for starters
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Anti-Jewish_pogroms_by_Muslims
    for a more comprehensive list.

Try to generalise a bit, perhaps, and see that the rational position is to be against Nobodaddy-inspired mass murder in all its flavours? And that it's just that 9/11, 7/7 and last Wednesday are a bit more recent than 1945? How difficult is that?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Surby,

You've missed out Edward Longshanks in 1290 - he was Catholic (of sorts) and the Romans in AD70 - Italians.

So your point is that some Muslims (IS etc) are now behaving like other civilisations did hundreds of years ago

Are you saying that makes it alright then? Or are you saying that Islam needs to modernise?
  • Options
    Eesh people. By all means disagree but let's lose the personal insults etc. As a favour to me?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited January 2015
    C'mon Stodge, you have been around this site far too long to try and spin that line. Way back when Labour were still winning GE's in the early days of PB.com, there was certainly far more Lab/Libdem posters than Tories on here. IIRC, I think that SeanF was one of the first Tory supporters to start posting regularly. And I know that if I wasn't the first regular female poster on this site, I was certainly among the first, and a Scottish female Tory voter to boot!!

PB.com has for some reason never really managed to attract any regular Scottish Labour posters, but we did briefly have one Scottish female Labour supporter posting from time to time. Now more than ever, it would be great to see one or two Scottish Labour supporters or politicians entering the political debate on here in the run up to the next GE.

stodge said:

Spot on post and very much what I've been seeing and hearing on the ground. I'm not sure enthusiasm for Cameron will be huge but EdM is a toxic disaster for Labour. Your point about absence of cheerleaders for him on here is interesting. If we took a litmus test you'd think from this site that UKIP were rampant, but that reflects the daytime demographic (no need to spell that out). Nevertheless, you're right. Enthusiastic Labour and especially EdM supporters are almost non-existent on here. How things have changed.

Labour has traditionally been grossly under-represented on this site (whereas the Conservatives and UKIP are over-represented). Unfortunately, IF anyone supporting the Labour line or saying something positive about Ed Miliband comes on, they are almost immediately hounded until they leave.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Socrates said:

surbiton said:

taffys said:

Quiz:

The pogroms ?

I took "pogrom" to mean State-sponsored violence against Jews. Across the centuries, that has been carried out by Christian, Muslim, and Pagan governments.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

taffys said:

Quiz:

As to the first, a mixture of Christians, atheists, pagans, and deists.

At least, you did not include Muslims.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,956
    edited January 2015
    Toms

"Last weekend we saw "Birdman" at maybe one of the best cinemas on the planet (Arts, Cambridge), and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's remarkably American. The script is tight. As theatre goers we were fascinated by the underlying thread playing with reality. Not a great film, but darn good."

Extraordinary how a Mexican could play with so many cultural references particularly European ones. I too loved the theatrical setting and excellent performances from the whole cast not just Michael Keaton. In fact Edward Norton probably stole the show. For my taste it lost it's way at the end and had he cut 15 minutes earlier It could have been a seriously good film.
  • Options
    Do we know the sample sizes of the Ashcroft and Populus polls ? Have they been released ? Probably, both are garbage anyway, I think.

Theoretically, with +/- 3% error, one could be 6% ahead of the other if both were roughly equal [ as they have been for several weeks ]. But still they do not sit easily.
This discussion has been closed.