Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Methinks that Dave has made a mistake on the TV debates

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,314
    HYUFD said:

Artist You mean like the 2014 Euro election results where the Greens beat the LDs?

Do they not give different status' to the parties depending on the election in question?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    calum said:

The SNP are wading in with their take on this:

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2015/jan/snp-pms-tv-debate-comments

The SNP's likely exclusion from the national debates will likely result in them being one of the winners. Interestingly, I wonder how many English seats the SNP would need field candidates in before they would be considered a "major party"?

Fair point if they're complaining about exclusion. It's entire plausible that they will have the third highest number of MP's and determine who is in power in the UK.

I think Ofcom have cocked up here. If you're going to reflect an increasingly fractured political landscape by including UKIP ( fair enough per se ) it seems odd to exclude the Greens and the SNP too.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,058
    Indeed, Mr. kle4. A party of Scotland deserves a place in Scottish debates, not the UK's.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    MaxPB said:

ashley said:

Too many instant judgements being made, Dave has supposedly thought it out, lets see how it pans out.

1) Cameron does a "no more NHS top-down reorgnisation" and does a shameless about-face on his word about the Greens.

2) Cameron is empty chaired.

Or

3) There's some messy compromise where who is to blame for the mess gets lost in the mess.

Cameron is clearly gambling on the latter, calculating that it would be less bad for him than actually defending his record in public.
    The most likely is option four and the debates go ahead with the Greens participating. The onus is now on Ed and Nick to agree.
    It is not for Ed and Nick to agree. It is for OFCOM to agree as they can only decide which parties qualify. If they now do a volte-face , their credibility goes down.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

Andrew Hawkins of ComRes has this right

If Cam agrees to #debates he's seen as caving into pressure, and if he doesn't he looks like he's running scared. Neither looks good.

He has a face-saving escape if he can get the greens involved somehow.

But that won't save much face, and won't help the flak he's getting right now.
    "Face-saving escape" or "delivered the plan he had all along"? No one really knows (apart from Nick Palmer and David Cameron). Certainly not me, you or Toenails.
    Well, it's a face saving escape either way, since he's put himself in a bit of a hole today. He may have planned an escape but it seems a long shot.
    No, it isn't an escape if he had planned it.
    Sure it is.

Just because it's planned doesn't preclude it being an escape, just means you foresaw the situation you need to escape from.

And Cameron can't know for certain he can get the Greens involved.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ashley said:

heh

Tony Blair last night infuriated William Hague and Charles Kennedy by rejecting proposals by the BBC and ITV for a three-way televised election debate on the grounds that Britain's democratic combat is lively enough without one.

The prime minister's decision not to risk such a high-profile contest had been widely expected but prompted taunts that Mr Blair is what the Tory leader dubbed "a real chicken".

Mr Kennedy said the prime minister was unwilling to debate without the "400 cheerleaders" who sit behind him in the Commons.

Mr Hague even urged the broadcasters to go ahead with the two proposed debates anyway. "If Tony Blair still refuses to show, we'll just leave an empty chair with a big sign of 'coward' for where Tony Blair would have sat if he'd had the guts to turn up," he said.

It had finally dawned on Alistair Campbell that as expectations for Major were so low, he would almost certainly exceed them.
    "Ed is so Crap he will overcome every advantage he holds to lose the election for Labour" believers beware.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,884
    HYUFD said:

Artist You mean like the 2014 Euro election results where the Greens beat the LDs?

Yet their vote share actually went down compared to 2009. People have had plenty of chances to vote for the Greens in actual elections during this term and only a very small minority have obliged.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

ashley said:

Too many instant judgements being made, Dave has supposedly thought it out, lets see how it pans out.

1) Cameron does a "no more NHS top-down reorgnisation" and does a shameless about-face on his word about the Greens.

2) Cameron is empty chaired.

Or

3) There's some messy compromise where who is to blame for the mess gets lost in the mess.

Cameron is clearly gambling on the latter, calculating that it would be less bad for him than actually defending his record in public.
    The most likely is option four and the debates go ahead with the Greens participating. The onus is now on Ed and Nick to agree.
    It is not for Ed and Nick to agree. It is for OFCOM to agree as they can only decide which parties qualify. If they now do a volte-face , their credibility goes down.
    The BBC aren't governed by OFCOM. You could have a 5-4-2 set of debates with the BBC doing the 5.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ashley said:

heh

Tony Blair last night infuriated William Hague and Charles Kennedy by rejecting proposals by the BBC and ITV for a three-way televised election debate on the grounds that Britain's democratic combat is lively enough without one.

The prime minister's decision not to risk such a high-profile contest had been widely expected but prompted taunts that Mr Blair is what the Tory leader dubbed "a real chicken".

Mr Kennedy said the prime minister was unwilling to debate without the "400 cheerleaders" who sit behind him in the Commons.

Mr Hague even urged the broadcasters to go ahead with the two proposed debates anyway. "If Tony Blair still refuses to show, we'll just leave an empty chair with a big sign of 'coward' for where Tony Blair would have sat if he'd had the guts to turn up," he said.

It had finally dawned on Alistair Campbell that as expectations for Major were so low, he would almost certainly exceed them.
    "Ed is so Crap he will overcome every advantage he holds to lose the election for Labour" believers beware.
    I dunno though, Clegg had pretty low expectations ahead of his debates with Farage this year, but he still managed to be damaged by them.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,257
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

calum said:

The SNP's likely exclusion from the national debates will likely result in them being one of the winners. Interestingly, I wonder how many English seats the SNP would need field candidates in before they would be considered a "major party"?

It's remarkable how un-Unionist the Unionists can be when it comes to trying to exclude their opponents on any excuse whatsoever.

Perhaps that is sometimes so, but in this particular instance, it seems perfectly reasonable, and I have no doubt the SNP have no real problem with it either. Complaining about it is as much as they would have wanted or needed out of this situation.
    The SNP took the broadcasters to court the last time they were excluded. I'm not sure that anything has changed tto change that.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

surbiton said:

What's the legal position regarding non-participation ? Last time, Sky said they would have an empty chair. Is that permissable under Electoral Law ?

The law is they have to offer him the opportunity to take part.

If he refuses then they can go ahead without him. (The empty chair is just a bit of theatre).
    I don't think the BBC will go ahead with it. But Sky for publicity and ratings just might. ITV , not sure.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,257
    As a Kipper I find Cameron running scared most amusing, but if I'm being honest the real problem is that Nick Clegg was allowed in the debates last time.

I really don't like these debates, but if we are going to have them then they should be between those who can realistically be considered to have a chance of being Prime Minister. And right now that's Cameron and Miliband.

But if we have to have Clegg then we have to have Farage and if we have Farage then we have to have someone from the Greens, Respect, SNP, Plaid and the NI lot.
  • Options

Indeed, Mr. kle4. A party of Scotland deserves a place in Scottish debates, not the UK's.

Except that Scotland is part of the UK, or is my memory wrong?

Are not the Greens who have a MP for Brighton a specifically English party, anyway, or do they cover Wales as well?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

calum said:

It's remarkable how un-Unionist the Unionists can be when it comes to trying to exclude their opponents on any excuse whatsoever.

Perhaps that is sometimes so, but in this particular instance, it seems perfectly reasonable, and I have no doubt the SNP have no real problem with it either. Complaining about it is as much as they would have wanted or needed out of this situation.
    The SNP took the broadcasters to court the last time they were excluded..
    Pure theatre.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited January 2015
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

If Cam agrees to #debates he's seen as caving into pressure, and if he doesn't he looks like he's running scared. Neither looks good.

"Face-saving escape" or "delivered the plan he had all along"? No one really knows (apart from Nick Palmer and David Cameron). Certainly not me, you or Toenails.
    Well, it's a face saving escape either way, since he's put himself in a bit of a hole today. He may have planned an escape but it seems a long shot.
    Sure it is.

Just because it's planned doesn't preclude it being an escape, just means you foresaw the situation you need to escape from.

Who knows, the Greens might overtake the Lib Dems if they got involved, that would be most amusing.

I do hope Mike Smithson hasn't bet the farm on Dave not getting re-elected, its been the tone of the site for the last three years.. embarrassing if Dave won thro' against the odds... so to speak
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Dave has been looking for a way out of the debates for ages. He was perfectly happy to debate without the Greens in 2010.

Clearly this will damage him, but one wonders why he would rather take this damage than participate. He wasn't that bad last time around.

How was Farage in the debates last time? I can't quite remember.....

Or is it a spurious comparison perchance....
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, the Greens stand all over the country. If Yorkshire First, or whatever the band of madmen who want a Yorkshire Parliament are called, wanted a seat (and had strong electoral support here) I'd also oppose their inclusion.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

ashley said:

You missed:

4) The Greens get invited to the debates.
    Either of option 3 or 4 would suit Cameron well, and I agree that's what he's aiming for.
    surbiton said:

OFCOM major party status has nothing (officially) to do with who is invited to the TV debates. OFCOM have loudly reiterated that today.

It's only about who gets PPBs and the like. But naturally, it influence the TV debate issue indirectly.

So Cameron is using the OFCOM major party status as a proxy re: the negotations regarding who gets invited to the debates, should they happen. Again, a case of muddying the waters in order to diffuse the blame. It's definitely the least-worst option for him to have chosen IMO.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

calum said:

The SNP took the broadcasters to court the last time they were excluded. I'm not sure that anything has changed tto change that.
    I think the legal advice in the end was that OFCOM would win and the SNP queitly backed down. Ironically, as the Green Party is NOT a UK wide party , the result will be the same.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,726
    kle4 said:

The thing to set against that is that Major was, when he chose, quite an impressive performer. He was calm, measured and could project reassurance. He also had a voice that people could listen to. More importantly, he had 30 years' experience of politics.

Ed Miliband, on the other hand, looks, sounds and sometimes behaves like a refugee from the losing side of a public-school sixth form debating society. The irony of the fact that this is more or less the opposite of what he is makes this amusing, but his air of patronising condescension delivered in a nasal whine is not well suited to TV debates.

But as you say - if he even looked and sounded vaguely normal for once, it might well give him the boost he so desperately needs.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Jonathan said:

Dave has been looking for a way out of the debates for ages. He was perfectly happy to debate without the Greens in 2010.

Clearly this will damage him, but one wonders why he would rather take this damage than participate. He wasn't that bad last time around.

How was Farage in the debates last time? I can't quite remember.....

Or is it a spurious comparison perchance....
    Nonsense Jonathan, and you know it.. Have you been reading the Labour play book today?
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

corporeal said:

Sure it is.

OK then I need to escape cos my teas ready. No Greens involved, but some carrots.
  • Options
    Lefties don't all agree.... with our resident ones.

Patrick Wintour‏@patrickwintour·1h1 hour ago
    RT @rafaelbehr: I agree with Patrick.

Patrick Wintour‏@patrickwintour
    Minority view. 3 TV debates did suck life from campaign. Cycle of pre-match build-up, match, post match poll, & post-match post-mortem.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,356
    kle4/Artist They beat the LDs in many by-elections too, and had an MP before UKIP
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Good move from Cameron.

He's can't possibly win if Nigel Farage gets to do a TV debate with him, Clegg and Miliband.

If the broadcasters want the debates to happen now they have to invite the Greens.

Smart move.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    I think it's a mistake by Cameron,joining the crap election poster the tories brought out at the beginning of the month and getting caught out on the nhs at the start of the week.

A bad start by the tory party at the beginning of the GE campaign,lets hope they improve,bloody need to.
  • Options

Mr. Carnyx, the Greens stand all over the country. If Yorkshire First, or whatever the band of madmen who want a Yorkshire Parliament are called, wanted a seat (and had strong electoral support here) I'd also oppose their inclusion.

With due respect, Mr D, no, they don't: that was my point. The Scottish Greens are a completely different mob from the southern Greens.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

calum said:

I think the legal advice in the end was that OFCOM would win and the SNP queitly backed down. Ironically, as the Green Party is NOT a UK wide party , the result will be the same.
    That's a good point about the Greens, though slightly odd as neither the Tories nor Labour nor the LDs are UK-wide either. I suppose they really mean "Great Britain" but it's getting increasingly irrational to treat the Six Counties as in but not really of the UK.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4/Artist They beat the LDs in many by-elections too, and had an MP before UKIP

Yes, there are arguments to include them that are not unreasonable. But it is still easy to exclude them and not be unreasonable, it's just a question of which factors you are including and how much which ones you think are more important. I'd not mind seeing the Greens in any debate, but it isn't hard to exclude them reasonably.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,381
    edited January 2015
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Do they not give different status' to the parties depending on the election in question?
    Yes, they do. UKIP already had major party status for the Euros (and went on to win).

And genuine question Nick - aren't the Greens closer to your political beliefs than Labour? What do Labour offer you that the Greens don't?

Labour has IMO more active interest in poverty and equality issues, which are pretty central for me. Also, in a FPTP system, I'm against splitting the left-of-centre vote.

On topic, it'd be a pity if the debates don't happen, but it's not up to the party leaders to decide - it's for OFCOM to propose a format, the leaders to decide whether to take part, and the TV companies to decide whether to broadcast them in the light of the decisions.

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Just placed my first ever political bet(s)! Managed to get £10 on UKIP to win 1-2 seats at 7/2 and £15 on UKIP to win 3-4 seats at 7/1 at William Hill. I may increase the bet on 3-4 seats as it looks like quite good value when compared to about 2/5 on 5+ seats.

I can see them winning Clacton, however, how many seats after that is not so clear. Relentless attacks from the media could damage their chances and cost them a number of seats. December may be a taste of things to come as the various newspapers and broadcasters get behind their favourite political parties. However, a potential Grexit may boost their support.

The televised debates could also boost UKIP support, however, the inclusion of the Greens would reduce Farage's airtime. A four way debate could be particularly damaging to Cameron, especially as it is increasingly looking like his renegotiation on the UK's relationship with the is a non-starter. I would be very interested to see if he would recommend IN without any changes to the right to freedom of movement.

I will be interested to see the results of any polls conducted in the next few days, especially in light of Farage's comments on the attacks in France and the faux outrage from the main political parties, although UKIP would now be one of those according to OFCOM.
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, after Scottish Labour's comedy stylings this week perhaps you could say the same about the reds.

It's inconsistent to segregate yourself to one part of the UK and then demand a UK stage.
  • Options
    Welcome to pb.com, Mr. SE.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that UKIP will slightly underperform current forecasts.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,339
    What has happened to the May 2015 website? All pages now appear to be blank?

http://may2015.com/
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    surbiton said:

Which Greens are we talking about ? The England & Wales one or the Scottish Greens which are a completely different party.

If the E&W Greens are on a UK wide debate, surely the SNP, PC, DUP, SDLP and SF have abetter claim.since they have more seats.

You could say that the English and Welsh Greens are standing in a majority of seats. And poll higher.
  • Options
    kle4 They are also arguments for excluding UKIP and the LDs, either have 6 or 7 leaders in the debate like Sweden or New Zealand or just Miliband v Cameron
  • Options

On topic, it'd be a pity if the debates don't happen, but it's not up to the party leaders to decide - it's for OFCOM to propose a format, the leaders to decide whether to take part, and the TV companies to decide whether to broadcast them in the light of the decisions.

Sorry Nick - that's not right - the format is nothing to do with OFCOM.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

TGOHF said:

ashley said:

No doubt David Cameron is running scared. Rather sad to see from a supposed "leader" really.

At least one broadcaster should, and might just, call his bluff and empty chair him.

Sky want him in - they know it would be 3rd rate without the PM.

No broadcaster is going to be stupid enough to empty chair someone with an approximately 50% chance of being the PM after the election.
    I fail to understand the basis for an empty chair given the many past examples of these debates failing to occur because the circumstances did not suit one or other of the party leaders. As far basck as 1966 Heath wanted to have separate one to one debates with Wilson and Grimond. Wilson would only agree to a single debate which included all three party leaders.In 1979 Thatcher declined to debate with Callaghan or with Foot and Kinnock in 1983 and 1987 respectively. In 1992 Major refused to debate with Kinnock , but did challenge Blair in 1997 who declined. On none of these occasions was there any suggestion of an empty chair - why should it be any different in 2015?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Socrates said:

Dave giving publicity to the Greens is a bad thing for the Tories why?

Because it looks like (and is) an excuse, and he risks being empty-chaired. He could always send Ms May to represent him, I suppose.
    I just don't get it. Dave faced Brown and a shiny new Clegg in the last debates and won through in the end. Why would he be scared of facing off against Ed, a damaged Clegg and a sweaty superficial Farage. Doesn't make sense.

Out of interest how do you know it is an excuse.
    Farage wiped the floor with Clegg and he would wipe the floor with Cameron too. Cameron the Cowardly is running scared.
    To win a war, you need to fight only the battles that (a) you can win and (b) matter. Varus is an example of what happens if you get (a) wrong and Pyrhus if you get (b) wrong.

There is nothing cowardly about tactical manouvring to avoid a contest that offers Cameron limited upside and plenty of downside risk.
    This isn't a war. It's a democratic election with a neutral moderator in a debate. If Cameron doesn't feel capable of defending his record on an equal playing field, that truly is damning.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,381
    MikeL said:

Sorry, by format I meant the list of participants.

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    I remember SeanT saying Cameron definitely wouldn't do this because he's too pro-democracy
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    I think the empty chair treatment is the most proper in this occasion, let the other leaders have a debate, if the PM doesn't come have an empty chair in his place.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    justin124 said:

TGOHF said:

ashley said:

No doubt David Cameron is running scared. Rather sad to see from a supposed "leader" really.

At least one broadcaster should, and might just, call his bluff and empty chair him.

No broadcaster is going to be stupid enough to empty chair someone with an approximately 50% chance of being the PM after the election.
    I fail to understand the basis for an empty chair given the many past examples of these debates failing to occur because the circumstances did not suit one or other of the party leaders. As far basck as 1966 Heath wanted to have separate one to one debates with Wilson and Grimond. Wilson would only agree to a single debate which included all three party leaders.In 1979 Thatcher declined to debate with Callaghan or with Foot and Kinnock in 1983 and 1987 respectively. In 1992 Major refused to debate with Kinnock , but did challenge Blair in 1997 who declined. On none of these occasions was there any suggestion of an empty chair - why should it be any different in 2015?
    The difference is we've now had the debates, and they were successes, so there's likely to be both more public demand and more demand from the broadcasters for some type of debate to happen.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    If Cameron doesn't feel capable of defending his record on an equal playing field, that truly is damning.

not really. Cameron does not like debate and he does not look good doing it. Blair was the same. Its all about the message for these people.

In fact many modern politicians are the same. Mrs Thatcher, on the other hand, could have an argument in a phone box.

But now we are comparing giants and pygmies.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

TGOHF said:

ashley said:

Three reasons, firstly in most of those elections it was much more 2 party dominant, so the debates were much more damaged by one been absent than now, secondly we've had debates so there's a greater sense that they should be done, thirdly it's been talked about before but not done, still uncertain if broadcasters would go for the threat.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Carnyx said:

Are not the Greens who have a MP for Brighton a specifically English party, anyway, or do they cover Wales as well?
    Devolution. Were there not Scottish and Welsh debates last time? What is different now? I think there might well still be debates - all that has to happen is that the other parties, rather than just pontificate could join Cameron in inviting the Greens in. I'm sure that Miliband and Clegg will be happy with that.
    There could be 2 debates. 1 with all 5 and 1 with just 3 - or even just 2. Personally I think debates are anti democracy and just encourage the best actors to become leaders. Remember Blair anybody?
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Anyone on PB think it's correct that the Greens be excluded from the debates? If so, on what basis?
  • Options

MikeL said:

My understanding is that while the granting of major party status would pretty much mandate an invite to (at least one) debate in order to avoid a legal challenge, the broadcaster would still have free rein to invite other leaders too (and possibly not extend the invite to each and every debate??)

From OFCOM's publication today: "Broadcasters must ensure that all coverage, including any possible leadership debates, complies with rules concerning due impartiality and elections, as set out in the Code... The decision on which leaders are represented in any possible election debates is an editorial matter for broadcasters in agreement with the political parties taking part." Clearly there's a balancing act there as the two sentences are in tension with each other to some degree, but it doesn't sound as cut-and-dried as what you're saying.

You obviously have far more familiarity with these matters, but are you entirely sure?
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Carnyx said:

Devolution. Were there not Scottish and Welsh debates last time? What is different now? I think there might well still be debates - all that has to happen is that the other parties, rather than just pontificate could join Cameron in inviting the Greens in. I'm sure that Miliband and Clegg will be happy with that.
    There could be 2 debates. 1 with all 5 and 1 with just 3 - or even just 2. Personally I think debates are anti democracy and just encourage the best actors to become leaders. Remember Blair anybody?
    But Blair didn't do debates, that was mostly because debates are not scripted and controlled public events that Mandelson and Campbell usually organised back then.
    Blair flourished in a controlled media environment.
  • Options

Anyone on PB think it's correct that the Greens be excluded from the debates? If so, on what basis?

I don't think the Greens should be excluded, but unless all five parties are in all three debates, I think UKIP should be in more than them. They're on triple the polling level.
  • Options

They are not a national party.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Nor are LibLabCon. They don't stand in N Ireland.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

That could apply to the LD too, since they poll worse and their vote is more concentrated.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,017
    Doubt it will make much difference either way to be honest.

Miliband, Farage and Clegg can huff and puff all they like but ultimately I don't think many people will care about this.

(I want to see TV debates personally)
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Blair flourished in a controlled media environment.

Bill Hague kicked him all over the chamber at PMQs.
  • Options

The basis laid out in OFCOM's criteria and judgment?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    GIN1138 said:

Miliband, Farage and Clegg can huff and puff all they like but ultimately I don't think many people will care about this.

Yeap, not many people will care about the chicken accusations, however if the other leaders agree to debate without Cameron the impact of that can be catastrophic for the Tories.
    He will either be forced to participate and get humiliated or refuse to participate and get humiliated.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Personally I don't like XFactor politics and hope the Debates fail to happen.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Speedy said:

surbiton said:

That could apply to the LD too, since they poll worse and their vote is more concentrated.
    What has the polls got to do with it ? The Liberal Democrats in Scotland and in England are the same party. The Green Party with Natalie Bennett as their leader is not the Scottish Greens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Green_Party
  • Options
    Speedy Cameron should then debate Natalie Bennett separately at the same time, if he asks Sturgeon along too it could even top the ratings!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,803
    Speedy said:

surbiton said:

IMHO its not about right or wrong, or deserving, it's about negotiation between the parties and TV.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,272
    Scott_P said:

@ScottyNational: Foreign politics:FM demands General Election debates include SNP, Patrick Harvie, anyone with a Yes badge & that guy who got the Yes tattoo

WEll if they want minnows with 1 or 2 MP's in then they have to let others with more MP's in, or are they really scared.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

ashley said:

I ALMOST misread that as "3rd rate PM" :)
    He is not that good.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Speedy said:

surbiton said:

What has the polls got to do with it ? The Liberal Democrats in Scotland and in England are the same party. The Green Party with Natalie Bennett as their leader is not the Scottish Greens.
    OFCOM ruled Scotland separately from E&W.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

Yeap, not many people will care about the chicken accusations, however if the other leaders agree to debate without Cameron the impact of that can be catastrophic for the Tories.
    He will either be forced to participate and get humiliated or refuse to participate and get humiliated.
    Hopefully the voters can see the blindingly obvious here. Milliband and Clegg want Farage in because he damages Cameron. Cameron wants Bennett in ( and probably wouldn't mind Sturgeon at all ) because she damages the other two. We don't have to be Einstein to fathom it.
  • Options

As I said on the previous thread I agree with this entirely. The Greens are a national party with Parliamentary representation who are within striking distance vote wise of the other two minor parties who will be considered majors for this coming election. If UKIP and the Lib Dems are given major party status then the same should apply to the Greens. Actually as it stands we need a 2 tier system with Labour and the Tories in the top tier and UKIP, the Greens and the Lib Dems in the second tier.

Agree - I was baffled by the decision this morning to give major party status to a party with 2 newly elected MPs, and not to a party of one MP, elected last GE and of with several years’ experience. – However, as I understand it, this is only a consultative decision and not final.
    Harold (Opposition Parties) Steptoe may have the law of contract on his side, but Albert (Cameron) Steptoe has got the knobs on his.
    http://www.albertandharold.co.uk/48.html
  • Options
    edited January 2015

MikeL said:

Sorry Nick - that's still not right - OFCOM hasn't said anything about TV debates.

OFCOM didn't make the 4/3/2 proposal - nor has OFCOM said anything about it.

OFCOM merely determines Major party status.

You could say the two are linked but not wholly so.

eg There could be one 4 way debate or the 4/3/2 proposal - OFCOM would not object to either and would have no say in which option was followed.

However, I agree that if Farage was completely excluded then OFCOM might object that it was inconsistent with UKIP's Major party status.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

surbiton said:

The Green Party of England & Wales can be excluded exactly in the same manner as the SNP and PC are denied.

The Green Party can certainly participate in an England or Welsh debate. The Scottish Green Party can participate in a Scotland wide debate.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,017
    edited January 2015
    Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

if the other leaders agree to debate without Cameron the impact of that can be catastrophic for the Tories.
    I don't think the TV channels would dare...

• Options
    Carnyx said:

LOL, they make up any old excuses when it suits, unionists are a bunch of lying toerags. Major party with 1 piddling MP and a few duffers in the wings , you could not make it up in a banana republic.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Thats a good way to describe it. But that is what modern television is all about. Put 5 incompatible people in a room and see what happens. The other version is to get them to cook for each other.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

if the other leaders agree to debate without Cameron the impact of that can be catastrophic for the Tories.

I think you're wrong about this. As long as they extended an invite to Cameron, they'd be covered by OFCOM, and they get to embarrass the Prime Minister as well as entrench the debates. What's not to like?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Of course, they did. But the nationwide debate is not limited to England only. That is why only parties which field candidates in England, Wales and Scotland participate and have a critical mass. That's why BNP couldn't but UKIP can now.

The Greens sadly cannot have candidates in Scotland unless they wish to compete against the Scottish Greens.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

Why wouldn't they agree to broadcast a debate of political leaders in which the PM was invited to, but refused to participate?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

welshowl said:

surbiton said:

The Green Party of England & Wales can be excluded exactly in the same manner as the SNP and PC are denied.

The Green Party can certainly participate in an England or Welsh debate. The Scottish Green Party can participate in a Scotland wide debate.
    Why should Plaid/SNP be denied ( well especially the SNP, they might have 30 odd MP's come May 8th).

Anyway if not standing in England is the exclusion criterion, what's to stop the SNP standing in say 200 English seats?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

ed would be bonkers to participate in debates without Cameron. Zero upside for him, and might get monstered by either of Clegg and Farage.
  • Options
    Socrates Cameron and Bennett and Sturgeon and Robinson and Wood should have a separate debate at the same time, maybe ask Galloway too
  • Options
    Cameron and the Green leader should arrange a date for a debate between themselves, and cordially invite the other three to attend.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,741
    It seems to me like an attempt to create a 'greengasm'; introducing the greens as a nice safe repository of protest votes, Lib Dems Mk 2. That way statist eurofanatic politics can continue unhindered by those unpleasant UKIP oafs who actually want to change things. We should also remember that the Green's European representation is purely because the Electoral Commission failed to act on 'An Independence From Europe'.

I'm not sure what's fair or not in this situation. I am sure that those arguing most strenuously for the Green's inclusion would be those arguing most strenuously the other way if we were looking at a 3 way debate with UKIP being shut out.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,074
    Speedy said:

I think the empty chair treatment is the most proper in this occasion, let the other leaders have a debate, if the PM doesn't come have an empty chair in his place.

No, have an actor in the chicken suit, representing Cameron. He acts as the comic relief.
  • Options
    Marriage makes people happier:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/upshot/study-finds-more-reasons-to-get-and-stay-married.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

Social scientists have long known that married people tend to be happier, but they debate whether that is because marriage causes happiness or simply because happier people are more likely to get married. The new paper, published by the National Bureau of Economic Research, controlled for pre-marriage happiness levels.

It concluded that being married makes people happier and more satisfied with their lives than those who remain single – particularly during the most stressful periods, like midlife crises.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

calum said:

English law is not equivalent to Scots. Go knuckle-drag in your lickle parish and leave the grown-ups (English) alone ysmf!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Marriage makes people happier:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/upshot/study-finds-more-reasons-to-get-and-stay-married.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

Social scientists have long known that married people tend to be happier, but they debate whether that is because marriage causes happiness or simply because happier people are more likely to get married. The new paper, published by the National Bureau of Economic Research, controlled for pre-marriage happiness levels.

It concluded that being married makes people happier and more satisfied with their lives than those who remain single – particularly during the most stressful periods, like midlife crises.

Well, long term relationships rather than marriage.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,037
    surbiton said:

Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Of course, they did. But the nationwide debate is not limited to England only. That is why only parties which field candidates in England, Wales and Scotland participate and have a critical mass. That's why BNP couldn't but UKIP can now.

The Greens sadly cannot have candidates in Scotland unless they wish to compete against the Scottish Greens.
    Surely the Green parties can form an electoral alliance.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

If UKIP were averaging around 5% in the polls with 1 MP and v little hope of getting any more, while the Greens had 2 MPS, 15% in the polls, were favs in 5 seats/spread price of 7.5-9.5, and had won the last national election, I would hand on heart be saying the Greens had to be in the debates and UKIP should stop complaining
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

ed would be bonkers to participate in debates without Cameron. Zero upside for him, and might get monstered by either of Clegg and Farage.
    Again just like it was mentioned earlier with Major in 97, the expectations for Ed are so low that he can easily beat them.

Also the main thing is that since Cameron wont be there, the Tories will be easy prey for all 3 leaders, since there will be no one to defend them.
    Even Clegg can profit from it by saying that Cameron doesn't have the guts to defend the government in a national TV debate while he does.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    The big political story of the day was OFCOM's recognition of UKIP as a major party and more, a major player in the forthcoming general election. That move rang all the bells for the MSM and political pundits that UKIP had truly arrived.

For the first time in a century a new UK political party is moving into the big time. Wether UKIP score 5 seats, 10 seats, 40 seats, or as I've heard lately 102 seats, the £ sign reverberates.
  • Options
    MD Exactly
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    edited January 2015
    A few months back the argument being expounded was that UKIP shouldn't be in the debates due to not being classed as a major party by ofcom. Same people that were arguing that are now the ones arguing the greens should be in even though they are not classed as a major party by the same OFCOM they set so much store by before.

I can't see why anyone could possibly think they are pursuing a partisan agenda on this.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

justin124 said:

Thats a good way to describe it. But that is what modern television is all about. Put 5 incompatible people in a room and see what happens. The other version is to get them to cook for each other.
    Who is going to be the winner in The Big Brother House of Commons, will it be Dave from Witney, Nick from Sheffield, Ed from Doncaster, Nigel from Thanet, Natalie from St Pancras. This year surprise guests will turn up from Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,064
    MikeK said:

The big political story of the day was OFCOM's recognition of UKIP as a major party and more, a major player in the forthcoming general election. That move rang all the bells for the MSM and political pundits that UKIP had truly arrived.

For the first time in a century a new UK political party is moving into the big time. Wether UKIP score 5 seats, 10 seats, 40 seats, or as I've heard lately 102 seats, the £ sign reverberates.

102 - no need to get carried away !
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    I can't remember the detail of how the debates were arranged in 2010, but am I right in thinking that it was all a bit like today's announcement ? This or that will happen no hang on this definitely won't happen. It's horse-trading. The debates will happen, and will include David Cameron.
  • Options
    A sensible move from Cameron. He'd be insane to debate with another Rightist who can fire off endless brickbats without having to defend any governmental record of his own. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel for Farage. Of course, a tyro Leftist tearing chunks out of Labour would even things up, but I suspect Miliband won't agree to that either for the same reason.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Speedy said:

surbiton said:

Surely the Green parties can form an electoral alliance.

The scottish Greens want scottish independence, an alliance with an english party might beat the purpose.
  • Options

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, they do. UKIP already had major party status for the Euros (and went on to win).

And genuine question Nick - aren't the Greens closer to your political beliefs than Labour? What do Labour offer you that the Greens don't?

Labour has IMO more active interest in poverty and equality issues, which are pretty central for me. Also, in a FPTP system, I'm against splitting the left-of-centre vote.

Thanks Nick. First part of answer is a good answer. Second part of answer suggests if the Greens were polling 30% in your constituency and Labour 5% you would jump to the Greens. Which is the level of loyalty to be expected from a Leftie politician. I myself detest political opportunism just to stay in power (cf 2 UKIP MPs).
  • Options
    corporeal said:

The basis laid out in OFCOM's criteria and judgment?
    That their inclusion would be based purely on debatable polling figures and the collapse of the Lib Dems? The two main parties get in, then you're assessing who else - the Lib Dems are a part of the government, and so have to be included whatever they poll. Then you've got UKIP who won the most recent national election and are a clear third in the polls. You could then invite the Greens next, but it's a far less compelling case for inclusion than UKIP. Yes they've got an MP - but haven't, unlike UKIP shown much indication they can significantly break through elsewhere, even in highly optimistic scenarios. If they were at 4% (which they might be given MoE) and the Lib Dems were doing two or three points better no one would even be even contemplating including them.

It just depends on whether you think the cut-off should be 4 or 5, and I'm guessing that the broadcasters when drawing up the proposals were worried that including the Greens would open them up to challenges from the SNP and Plaid as they're not either in government, the official opposition or the clear third party. I don't care much either way, but it's absurd to claim that it's some sort of affront to democracy that they're not included and attempting to scupper them if they're not is transparently pretty cynical.

• Options
    isam said:

If UKIP were averaging around 5% in the polls with 1 MP and v little hope of getting any more, while the Greens had 2 MPS, 15% in the polls, were favs in 5 seats/spread price of 7.5-9.5, and had won the last national election, I would hand on heart be saying the Greens had to be in the debates and UKIP should stop complaining
    And the SNP are at about 3% (UK wide) but are favourites in somewhere from 10-40 seats depending on who is doing the talking.

The point is that the landscape is now very diverse and a long way from two party politics of yore, but that all of the Libs, UKIP, the Greens, and the SNP, have strengths and weaknesses that could reasonably exclude or include them. Fairness from where I'm sat says exclude them all ( bonkers in my view given the Libs are in Govt) or include the lot.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited January 2015
    Fat_Steve said:

I can't remember the detail of how the debates were arranged in 2010, but am I right in thinking that it was all a bit like today's announcement ? This or that will happen no hang on this definitely won't happen. It's horse-trading. The debates will happen, and will include David Cameron.

I think we are just seeing posturing and people setting out positions. After all don't kippers believe that unless Cameron advocates "better off out" unless harsh conditions are met, he will not be taken seriously?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited January 2015
    welshowl said:

isam said:

And the SNP are at about 3% (UK wide) but are favourites in somewhere from 10-40 seats depending on who is doing the talking.

The point is that the landscape is now very diverse and a long way from two party politics of yore, but that all of the Libs, UKIP, the Greens, and the SNP, have strengths and weaknesses that could reasonably exclude or include them. Fairness from where I'm sat says exclude them all ( bonkers in my view given the Libs are in Govt) or include the lot.
    Well if there was one on Scottish TV then by all means get the SNP in place of UKIP I suppose

But I cant see an argument for including the Greens really, no offence to them
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Speedy said:

GIN1138 said:

As Cameron would boycott all the debates, one debate would be just Ed debating himself. TV gold!

This discussion has been closed.