Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the Tories could need to be 10% ahead in England and Wa

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited January 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why the Tories could need to be 10% ahead in England and Wales just to stand still

One of the reasons why the latest Electoral Calculus projection, see previous thread, appeared to be so good for LAB was the way Scotland and England/Wales were treated. This is the response I got from Martin Baxter on the computation:-

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    Never going to happen in May.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Surely the conservatives can take some Lib Dems seats for granted in the south of England ?

They will certainly hold on to the seats they gained in the north last time like Harrogate and York Outer.

Looks like another Cameron, Clegg coalition to me in 2015.
    Which will finish the Lib Dems as a UK wide party for a generation.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,464
    edited January 2015
    "I believe whatever doesn't kill you, simply makes you stranger."
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,804
    It's a small thing, but I'd vaguely have hoped for fate to deal me a sufficiently good hand that my first post of 2015 wasn't on an obsolete thread... Alas!

(PS You didn't miss much)
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    UK swing maps since 1959:
    http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=184794.0

In 2010 Labour recorded a swing towards them in most Scottish seats, while the Tories recorded very large swings in the SE, Wales, Cornwall and in most cities in England apart from East London, Inner Birmingham and Liverpool.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Whatever happens, the relative efficiency of Labour and Tory votes will *not* be replicated in 2010. Hence, this entire analysis is flawed.

@DavidL has explained the logic several times in a very convincing manner; I am sure that someone better at maths than me could easily work out the statistical implications.

Past performance is not a guide to future performance
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    FPT:

Well, 15% vote share for UKIP will win them a lot of seats (25+) if the LibDems also have 15% and the Greens 10% (simply because it means nobody is going to have more than 30% vote share). On the other hand, if UKIP get 15%, the LibDems 5% and the Greens 2%, then UKIP is going to struggle to get more than a handful of seats.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Charles said:

Whatever happens, the relative efficiency of Labour and Tory votes will *not* be replicated in 2010. Hence, this entire analysis is flawed.

@DavidL has explained the logic several times in a very convincing manner; I am sure that someone better at maths than me could easily work out the statistical implications.

That is why I always throw seat predictions based on the mythical swingback to the garbage bin.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    It seems that we all stand in need of a better class of chicken entrails.

UNS no longer works, with five or six parties in contention nationally. As OGH keeps reminding us, we have 650 elections this year, one in each constituency, not just one national one.

This will not stop Labour and the Tories trying to polarise the election around the person of the next prime minister. But since I do not want either Cameron or Milliband to be prime minister, that is not a very persuasive argument. And that does rather blow the Tory campaign strategy out of the water, doesn´t it?

Antifrank is doing an interesting job, looking at the prospects for individual seats on the basis of current betting odds. I think this is a step in the right direction, in that it takes us away from UNS. That said, his findings do depend on the amount of money being placed on the various candidates- and presumably at this stage punters are being guided still very largely by the UNS opinion polls, and those with the largest wallets (who might be supposed to be a bit blue, or perhaps purple) are having the greatest influence.

Mark Senior is regularly derided on here by certain people for giving consideration to local by-election results. They are wrong to do so, because a party will do well either when it enjoys a favourable wind generated by the air-war (recently the case of UKIP); or when it has a good organisation and can overcome negative propaganda (the case of the Lib Dems).

This is getting a bit long, so willl break off here.....
  • Options
    The more analysis I see, the more difficult it becomes for me to believe any Party will win an overall majority.

In fact I suspect both Labour and Conservative will fail to win more than 300 seats. I wonder what odds I'd get on such an outcome? I'm not looking for a bet, but just kind of curious as to how others here would assess the odds.

Maybe if Shadsy were around I could be tempted...?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

The more analysis I see, the more difficult it becomes for me to believe any Party will win an overall majority.

In fact I suspect both Labour and Conservative will fail to win more than 300 seats. I wonder what odds I'd get on such an outcome? I'm not looking for a bet, but just kind of curious as to how others here would assess the odds.

Maybe if Shadsy were around I could be tempted...?

I agree. In fact it may be a struggle for any single party to reach 300 seats IMO.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Speedy said:

UK swing maps since 1959:
    http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=184794.0

In 2010 Labour recorded a swing towards them in most Scottish seats, while the Tories recorded very large swings in the SE, Wales, Cornwall and in most cities in England apart from East London, Inner Birmingham and Liverpool.

Swings based on regions for 2010 are slightly misleading. The Labour vote in aggregate actually fell slightly more in the north than it did in the south. However, in marginals it was completely different -- in the north, Labour's vote crashed in many of their safe seats but held up relatively well in most of the marginals (although the West Yorkshire marginals were a bit of an exception). Whereas in the south, their collapse was most severe in the marginals while the falls were softer in the other seats (largely because in many of their no-hope southern seats, they were already down to their diehard core as the Lib Dems had already bled all the soft/tactical Labour votes away from them).
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    PClipp said:

UNS no longer works, with five or six parties in contention nationally. As OGH keeps reminding us, we have 650 elections this year, one in each constituency, not just one national one.

This will not stop Labour and the Tories trying to polarise the election around the person of the next prime minister. But since I do not want either Cameron or Milliband to be prime minister, that is not a very persuasive argument. And that does rather blow the Tory campaign strategy out of the water, doesn´t it?

With respect, I'm not sure the fact their strategy won't move your vote means it has been 'blown out of the water'.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    PClipp said:

Antifrank is doing an interesting job, looking at the prospects for individual seats on the basis of current betting odds. I think this is a step in the right direction, in that it takes us away from UNS. That said, his findings do depend on the amount of money being placed on the various candidates- and presumably at this stage punters are being guided still very largely by the UNS opinion polls, and those with the largest wallets (who might be supposed to be a bit blue, or perhaps purple) are having the greatest influence.

Mark Senior is regularly derided on here by certain people for giving consideration to local by-election results. They are wrong to do so, because a party will do well either when it enjoys a favourable wind generated by the air-war (recently the case of UKIP); or when it has a good organisation and can overcome negative propaganda (the case of the Lib Dems).

This is getting a bit long, so willl break off here.....

I'm thinking about what I might be able to do here. I have a couple of ideas.
  • Options
    On topic: Mike's logic here seems rather odd to me. Of course it is trivially true, in an arithmetic sense, that, for a given national vote share, if Labour are doing worse in one region they must be doing better in another region. However, if you start from the hypothesis that Labour's vote will collapse in Scotland, it seems to be stretching credulity to assume at the same time that they will do well in England & Wales. If they can't inspire their traditional voters in East Kilbride, can they expect to do so in Tyneside?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    One of the reasons Labour usually does so well in terms of seats compared to votes is that they almost always get low shares of the vote in most of the seats in the south-east, south-west and East Anglia, which contain about 200 seats between them. But since they don't have many target seats or incumbent MPs in those areas anyway, it doesn't affect their potential number of seats much.
  • Options

On topic: Mike's logic here seems rather odd to me. Of course it is trivially true, in an arithmetic sense, that, for a given national vote share, if Labour are doing worse in one region they must be doing better in another region. However, if you start from the hypothesis that Labour's vote will collapse in Scotland, it seems to be stretching credulity to assume at the same time that they will do well in England & Wales. If they can't inspire their traditional voters in East Kilbride, can they expect to do so in Tyneside?

You have a point, but one of the key differences is that England doesn't have a party which is so precision-packaged to mop up Labour votes as the SNP.
  • Options
    What most seem to be forgetting is that due to the fixed term parliament act we still know the election is months off and voters are still mid term ish, so their responses will still be based on which party they broadly support, not who they will actually vote for.

Not until Valentines day will they seriously consider who the PM they will put in place will be, and then Labour will tank, in what will become the St Valentines Day Swingback Massacre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se_qAXc4VgM
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

I don't think that you've understood. Labour did brilliantly well in vote terms in Scotland in 2010 which had a big impact on the overall swing figures that have been used for 2015. Now there's a strong case for Scotland to be thought about very differently and all this seeks to do is show, in conventional swing terms what happens in England and Wales when you exclude Scotland.

Of course there are arguments about UNS but if the Tories are only level-pegging with LAB in Enfgland and Wales they could lose a lot of seats.

The prospects for rich pickings for CON from the yellows are not very strong as the Lord A polling has shown.
  • Options
    I think the Tories will win the popular vote in England by at least 5 percentage points and would be prepared to bet on it if such an option were available.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Aren't we supposed to be way in swingback territory now. In the Summer the PB Hodges were saying the Tories would be ahead in the polls come the new year and will have pulled away by the time the election comes. Now it's Valentins Day.....keep 'em coming.
  • Options
    Fortunately, there is a bit more chicken entrail which seems not to have had much notice taken of it - and this is information about what is happening on the ground, provided by PB posters.

As it happens, I have a friend who is standing as a Lib Dem candidate in a seat which might go from Tory to Lib Dem. "They" (to conceal his/her identity) were told some time ago that they needed to raise another 50,000 if they wanted to win. No idea whether or not they were successful in this, but no matter.

One poster here (whose name escapes me - sorry) was scandalised recently to learn from the Electoral Commission site that 45,000 had come in in support of Jo Swinson´s campaign. So it does seem that in some seats the Lib Dems have enough money to come close to matching the legendary Tory millions. The Tories are not being allowed to win seats by the sheer weight of their money.

Easterross reported that the Lib Dems had put out two publications in the Caithness constituency just before Christmas; and Fitalass reported that the same had happened in the case of Aberdeenshire West. Nick Palmer reported a glossy Lib Dem leaflet in the Ashfield constituency part of Broxtowe District, well before Christmas - a seat that the Lib Dems very nearly won from Labour last time.

These are just four seats where it is very clear that the Lib Dems are fighting to win. Contrary to popular thought on this site, the Lib Dems are not just rolling over and waiting to be slaughtered everywhere.

These are four seats which PB posters regularly put into a different column after May - and I have no doubt there are many others where there is strong Lib Dem campaigning going on.

So do your own research - just saying - and have an enjoyable and profitable New Year.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Surely the conservatives can take some Lib Dems seats for granted in the south of England ?

They will certainly hold on to the seats they gained in the north last time like Harrogate and York Outer.

There aren't many they can take for granted. The closest examples are where the sitting LD MP is retiring like Mid Dorset, Somerton&Frome, Taunton Deane.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I think the Tories will win the popular vote in England by at least 5 percentage points and would be prepared to bet on it if such an option were available.

It's not a bet I'd take, Andy, because I suspect you are right.

But how many seats would that give the Blues? My guess is 280 or so, but even that is dependent on middling performances from the LDs, UKIP and Greens. If the minor Parties poll well, that 5% lead might be worth no more than 250.

And it's hard to devise a plausible scenario in which it would deliver DC an Overall Majority.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Percentage of Scottish Westminster seats won by Labour since 1987:

1987: 69.4%
    1992: 68.1%
    1997: 77.8%
    2001: 77.8%
    2005: 69.5%
    2010: 69.5%

Amazing how stable the figure has been. As the figures show it didn't change at all between 1997 and 2001, between 2005 and 2010 and hardly changed between 1987 and 1992.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Charles said:

That is why I always throw seat predictions based on the mythical swingback to the garbage bin.
    This seems like a good moment...

http://xkcd.com/1122/
  • Options

Don't forget that a significant part of the crash in Scotland (in vote share at least) is "catching up" with the crash that has already happened in England.

In 2010 they got 42% in Scotland vs. c. 30% in England & Wales.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Don't forget that a significant part of the crash in Scotland (in vote share at least) is "catching up" with the crash that has already happened in England.

True, but the point I am getting at is that there seems to be a suggestion that Labour doing badly in Scotland is somehow good news for Labour.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

The prospects for rich pickings for CON from the yellows are not very strong as the Lord A polling has shown.
    The BES people disagreed with Lord A on that.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Yorkcity said:

There aren't many they can take for granted. The closest examples are where the sitting LD MP is retiring like Mid Dorset, Somerton&Frome, Taunton Deane.
    What looked like a good CON prospect was Berwick where Alan Beith is retiring after winning by-election 40 years ago. We've just got back from holiday in the area and got leafleted by the LDs at our holiday cottage on Tuesday. I was impressed enough with the candidate and the presentation that I had a punt.

The Ashcroft polling had this very close with the LDs ahead amongst all those expressing a preference. 13/8 seemed good price.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Yorkcity said:

What looked like a good CON prospect was Berwick where Alan Beith is retiring after winning by-election 40 years ago. We've just got back from holiday in the area and got leafleted by the LDs at our holiday cottage on Tuesday. I was impressed enough with the candidate and the presentation that I had a punt.

The Ashcroft polling had this very close with the LDs ahead amongst all those expressing a preference. 13/8 seemed good price.
    That is a very good example, Mie, of the sort of information we ought to be taking into account.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

The media seem to be fussing about Richard Smith (ex-editor of the BMJ) stating the bleeding obvious - that cancer is the best way to die. It probably is, if well-controlled. Cancer is an inevitable consequence of living.

You cure some and you will then probably die of another if your cells divide long enough.

But saying it to the media is casting pearls before swine. They will certainly claim he's saying something he isn't. No wonder politicians lie, there's no point telling the truth anyway.
  • Options

The BES people disagreed with Lord A on that.

The BES survey was not full picture and they have done no constituency specific polling as they were more than ready to concede.

• Options
    Please excuse my cynical mood. New year? Bah, humbug!
  • Options

The BES survey was not full picture and they have done no constituency specific polling as they were more than ready to concede.

They seem pretty confident.

"...if the GB polls are right overall, the Liberal Democrats must be falling more where they started stronger, and the BES data suggest the drop is broadly proportional to their prior strength. This mirrors the pattern of change at the local authority level at the European Parliament elections this year, adding confidence that the effect is real.

The implications for Liberal Democrat seats are straightforward. If they are indeed losing most heavily in the seats they are defending they are set to lose several more seats than national polls with uniform swing would predict.

Maybe closer to the election the Liberal Democrats will benefit from voters focusing more on the specific situation in their constituency, with tactical voting and incumbency effects kicking in. Constituency polls by Lord Ashcroft suggest that prompting people to think about the candidates in their constituency when asking people whom they will vote for results in much more Liberal Democrat voting in Liberal Democrat seats. But there is a danger that such prompting over-states incumbency advantage. For many Liberal Democrat MPs to hold on to their seats they will need to become even more personally popular than they were in 2010: a tough task under the circumstances.

It is also worth noting that even with a much smaller sample size, a similar analysis of the 2009 wave of the BES internet panel rightly suggested little difference in Liberal Democrat 2010 performance in the seats they previously won compared with those where they came second in 2005. So the above finding for 2014 is not just a usual pre-election campaign poll finding. Moreover the constituency variation in the 2010 BES data corresponds well to the actual result. So there are various good reasons to believe the Liberal Democrats are facing a bigger uphill battle in their own seats. The 2014 BES data, suggest they will do 10 points worse in their own seats compared with where they were previously second. Even if this difference is somewhat attenuated by the time of the election, it is quite a gap to close."

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes-resources/what-the-bes-suggests-about-constituency-variation-in-party-performance-by-stephen-fisher-university-of-oxford/
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,679
    Happy New Year everyone.

Is anyone really thinking about the general election yet? It's barely 4 months away yet I'm yet to hear it mentioned amongst any of my friends or work colleagues.

I am still struck by the Ashcroft poll quotation on this of a voter a few months ago. "8 months away? It may as well be 8 years away."

Time is running out but it's still my view that the fundamentals for Miliband are very poor and when people finally turn their attention to choosing a government hese will show through into the final voting figures.

I can't see the Conservatives dropping below 280 seats but what's less clear to me is how Cameron can stay in power if he settles out at, say, just under 295 seats. I'm currently reading David Law's excellent 22 days in May and what's absolutely clear is just how crucial the parliamentary arithmetic was in the hung parliament negotiations and taking the 'unpalatable' option of the Conservatives over the 'impossible' option of Labour.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Well I have made by GE forecast on the previous thread . For those interested my forecast for 2010 made at the same equivalent time was exactly correct for the number of Lib Dem MPs although I admit that I was duped by the Cleggasm as many were and upped it at the end of the campaign to around 80 .
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    GE 2015 Prediction.

Greens to get 1.
    Respect 0.
  • Options

GE 2015 Prediction.

Greens to get 1.
    Respect 0.

The Sunil on Sunday's Mystic Smeg predicts there will be 650 seats across all parties and candidates :)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Wake Up! Only 4 months and 6 days before the GE and most PBers have moved back in to their own protective shells.

My prediction: 40+ seats for UKIP and San fairy ann for all other results.
  • Options

Charles said:

True, but the point I am getting at is that there seems to be a suggestion that Labour doing badly in Scotland is somehow good news for Labour.
    I think @OGH is in danger of calling this election very wrong.

It strikes me as he is searching for evidence to support his views rather than building his views on the evidence.
  • Options

They seem pretty confident.

"...if the GB polls are right overall, the Liberal Democrats must be falling more where they started stronger, and the BES data suggest the drop is broadly proportional to their prior strength. This mirrors the pattern of change at the local authority level at the European Parliament elections this year, adding confidence that the effect is real.

The implications for Liberal Democrat seats are straightforward. If they are indeed losing most heavily in the seats they are defending they are set to lose several more seats than national polls with uniform swing would predict.

Maybe closer to the election the Liberal Democrats will benefit from voters focusing more on the specific situation in their constituency, with tactical voting and incumbency effects kicking in. Constituency polls by Lord Ashcroft suggest that prompting people to think about the candidates in their constituency when asking people whom they will vote for results in much more Liberal Democrat voting in Liberal Democrat seats. But there is a danger that such prompting over-states incumbency advantage. For many Liberal Democrat MPs to hold on to their seats they will need to become even more personally popular than they were in 2010: a tough task under the circumstances.

It is also worth noting that even with a much smaller sample size, a similar analysis of the 2009 wave of the BES internet panel rightly suggested little difference in Liberal Democrat 2010 performance in the seats they previously won compared with those where they came second in 2005. So the above finding for 2014 is not just a usual pre-election campaign poll finding. Moreover the constituency variation in the 2010 BES data corresponds well to the actual result. So there are various good reasons to believe the Liberal Democrats are facing a bigger uphill battle in their own seats. The 2014 BES data, suggest they will do 10 points worse in their own seats compared with where they were previously second. Even if this difference is somewhat attenuated by the time of the election, it is quite a gap to close."

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes-resources/what-the-bes-suggests-about-constituency-variation-in-party-performance-by-stephen-fisher-university-of-oxford/
    As I have pointed out to you before , it is incorrect to say that in local elections the Lib Dems have lost votes more heavily in the parliamentary seats they are defending . The loss numerically is around the same in Lib Dem and non Lib Dem seats but much lower proportionally . For example the vote may have fallen by 15% from 20 to 5% in a non Lib Dem seat and by the same 15% from 55 to 40% in a ward in a Lib Dem seat , clearly the proportional fall is much lower in the 2nd case .
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Wake Up! Only 4 months and 6 days before the GE and most PBers have moved back in to their own protective shells.

My prediction: 40+ seats for UKIP and San fairy ann for all other results.

I'm comfortable with my (limited) betting positions...mainly on no breakthrough for UKIP

- UKIP under 18% (with you)
    - LibDems to have >4x UKIP seats (isam)
    - Cameron to still be leader of the Tory party after the election (HurstLlama)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. K, 40+ seats for UKIP strikes me as very optimistic. Given their recent slight slide in the polls, I'd be very surprised if they achieved that.
  • Options
    As an aside, fast-forwarding a little bit, what will be interesting is the post-mortem. If David Cameron does lose will it be a problem of style, substance, or both?

If he'd implemented a more robust immigration or European policy, and been seen to believe in it, would that have mitigated against the rise of UKIP? Or if he'd just been more diligent with his party management - courteous and respectful to his party activists and MPs - and less rude to those considering voting UKIP, would that have done the trick?

I suspect it's a bit of both and, in reality, too many Conservatives ending up concluding he wasn't really on their side.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I'd like more constituency-specific polling on LibDem/Tory marginals,especially those in the south west before I call the LibDems but there may be at least 7 seven losses in Scotland and 15 to Lab leaving 35 maximum.These LibDem/Tory battlegrounds may ultimately be 2 parties who are on the same side but the more the LibDems hang on,the more likely a Miliband-led government.I think they may struggle to get 30.
  • Options
    MikeK,

"40+ seats for UKIP"

If that were the case, "Ca ne fait rien" for the others is even more unlikely.

I suspect I'm in the majority but 5 seats would be very satisfactory for the Kippers, although I'm sure Mr Senior would call 40plus seats a disaster for them.
  • Options

Well I have made by GE forecast on the previous thread . For those interested my forecast for 2010 made at the same equivalent time was exactly correct for the number of Lib Dem MPs although I admit that I was duped by the Cleggasm as many were and upped it at the end of the campaign to around 80 .

As I recall your 2010 prediction was based on the May local election results throughout the 2005 parliament. More recently you seem to have decided that NEV calculations are tosh.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, I think it's the view that he's more interested courting Guardianista voters than respecting his traditional base.
  • Options

I'd like more constituency-specific polling on LibDem/Tory marginals,especially those in the south west before I call the LibDems but there may be at least 7 seven losses in Scotland and 15 to Lab leaving 35 maximum.These LibDem/Tory battlegrounds may ultimately be 2 parties who are on the same side but the more the LibDems hang on,the more likely a Miliband-led government.I think they may struggle to get 30.

There may be 7 losses in Scotland but there may be only 4 or 5 or 6 . There will not be 15 losses to Labour , 10 maximum including perhaps 1 or 2 in Scotland .
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    edited January 2015

Happy New Year everyone.

Is anyone really thinking about the general election yet? It's barely 4 months away yet I'm yet to hear it mentioned amongst any of my friends or work colleagues.

I am still struck by the Ashcroft poll quotation on this of a voter a few months ago. "8 months away? It may as well be 8 years away."

Time is running out but it's still my view that the fundamentals for Miliband are very poor and when people finally turn their attention to choosing a government hese will show through into the final voting figures.

Even with most people not thinking intensely about GE possibilities, I find it hard to accept that some very consistent obstacles to a Tory win can be overcome in such a short span of time purely on the basis of Ed M being crap, as most of the other things dragging Labour down also apply to the Tories to the same or greater extent or the Tories' own fundamentals problems exceed the Labour ones, and why will that change in 4 months if they haven't in 4.5 years is my general view -(edit) even with most people not thinking about the GE until it is pretty close, things do drift down to the masses and there's not much sign of the Tories being able to rise above their own challenges.
  • Options

As I recall your 2010 prediction was based on the May local election results throughout the 2005 parliament. More recently you seem to have decided that NEV calculations are tosh.
    No my 2010 prediction was based on many factors ( including local election results ) and a specific look at every Lib Dem held seat and seat where they were close challengers . I ended up in January 2010 with a forecast of 57 which was derided by some on here who were forecasting below 40 and a few below 30 .
  • Options

As an aside, fast-forwarding a little bit, what will be interesting is the post-mortem. If David Cameron does lose will it be a problem of style, substance, or both?

If he'd implemented a more robust immigration or European policy, and been seen to believe in it, would that have mitigated against the rise of UKIP? Or if he'd just been more diligent with his party management - courteous and respectful to his party activists and MPs - and less rude to those considering voting UKIP, would that have done the trick?

I suspect it's a bit of both and, in reality, too many Conservatives ending up concluding he wasn't really on their side.

Well current Conservatives think Cameron is the dog's dangly bits.

His approval ratings are positively North Korean.

My fear is if the Tory party loses in May, they'll revert back to Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing as the fault line over the EU widens.

There's a wing of the Tory party that likes to destroy Prime Ministers over the EU, in a few years time they might finally click.

I suspect if we do have an in/out referendum, and we vote to remain in the EU, the BOOers will emulate the Nat approach, so there's no point trying to appease The BOOers/UKIPers.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438
    Why did I receive a glossy Labour 2xA4 leaflet yesterday in St Albans?

Do they have cash to spare in this constituency?
  • Options

Mr. Royale, I think it's the view that he's more interested courting Guardianista voters than respecting his traditional base.

Yes. And then the question becomes why? How much of that interest was sober, reasoned political strategy, and how much was about winning respectability amongst the people he lives, works and socialises with?

Of course it could well be the latter subtly influenced the flawed conclusions of the former, neatly summing up the issue of metropolitan elites.

Cameron could have mitigated against this by broadening his inner circle, but he's always had a weakness of preferring his longstanding friends.

That serious failure of leadership is his fault and his alone.
  • Options

My fear is if the Tory party loses in May, they'll revert back to Papua New Guinea-style orgies of cannibalism and chief-killing as the fault line over the EU widens.

There's a wing of the Tory party that likes to destroy Prime Ministers over the EU, in a few years time they might finally click.

I suspect if we do have an in/out referendum, and we vote to remain in the EU, the BOOers will emulate the Nat approach, so there's no point trying to appease The BOOers/UKIPers.
    ? The wing of the Tory party that destroyed Margaret Thatcher was the pro-EU wing.
  • Options

That's sort of my point. *Current* Conservatives don't include those he's lost. This government hasn't done badly at all on the economy and, as Sean Fear pointed out a few weeks ago, had it retained these the Conservatives would now be polling in the 35-38% range, and perhaps higher.

On your second point, I don't think the cancer in the Conservative party over Europe will end until we finally end up in a position where we advocate leaving the EU. Which we will.
  • Options
    @MikeK

Can you tell us which seats will be amongst the 40?

I've come to a view that Reckless has a good chance of holding on and have bet accordingly. Carswell is clear and I'm not convinced by the Lord A polling in Thanet S which had CON ahead.

I've got some hopes for my 40/1 bet on UKIP in Camborne & Redruth though I've written of my 11/2 UKIP bet in Eastleigh.

But where else? We haven't seen any Lord A polling in Boston & Skegness and UKIP's choice of a 22 year old candidate doesn't add to confidence.

Thurrock is clearly a possibility but where else?
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, I'd guess an assumption (until recently correct) that there was nowhere else for such voters to turn. Understandable, but short-sighted and complacent.

Worth recalling the Western Empire could've seen off all external threats if it hadn't become addicted to regicide and consumed its strength in perpetual civil war. In that regard, Cameron's been a strategic failure, having presided over the splitting of the right.

The Conservatives could do with an Aurelian to stitch the Empire back together [and it'd help if they don't assassinate him].
  • Options

@MikeK

I've come to a view that Reckless has a good chance of holding on and have bet accordingly. Carswell is clear and I'm not convinced by the Lord A polling in Thanet S which had CON ahead.

I've got some hopes for my 40/1 bet on UKIP in Camborne & Redruth though I've written of my 11/2 UKIP bet in Eastleigh.

But where else? We haven't seen any Lord A polling in Boston & Skegness and UKIP's choice of a 22 year old candidate doesn't add to confidence.

Castle Point is a very good bet imo: they have a history of going for mavericks.
  • Options

Well well, what a surprise. #labour #UKIP #GE2015 pic.twitter.com/iXn8IVmfwh

— Hannah Bee (@Strangehen) January 1, 2015
  • Options

? The wing of the Tory party that destroyed Margaret Thatcher was the pro-EU wing.
    Quite. There is a blindness amongst Tory diehards to the fact that there is a fatal fault line running through their party and that it is primarily the old guard/europhile rump who are out of touch with both reality and with the wider public opinion.

Until the europhile dinosaurs are finally excised from the party, the Tories will remain permanently split.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,007
    edited January 2015

@MikeK

Surely you have been backing my list of 75 UKIP possibles over the last 18 months, and have a betting portfolio that is worth fortunes?

I have published it here enough!
  • Options
    isam said:

@MikeK

Surely you have been backing my list of 75 UKIP possibles over the last 18 months, and have a betting portfolio that is worth fortunes?

Backing 73 losers out of 75 bets is the route to bankruptcy
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    @Casino,

If the UK votes to stay in the EU, then the Conservatives have a very unpalatable choice regarding Europe. Have a policy that is rejected by referendum by most voters, or allow ukip to continue siphoning off supporters.

Personally, I think UKIP (like the snp) benefits most from a narrow "in" vote. And the LibDems benefit most from an "out" vote (as they lose their most unpopular policy).
  • Options

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · 7m7 minutes ago
    #LibDems Great Britain by-election results since GE2010. They won Eastleigh, but 11 lost deposits from 19 contests.

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/550716028293251073
  • Options
    edited January 2015

isam said:

@MikeK

Not at all, it depends on the price you take and how much you stake

If UKIP win only Thurrrock I would be well in profit despite having many more losers than winners

I tipped up Cannock Chase at 150/1... if that cops (5/2 now) it pays for a few losers

Bitter old man, cheer up x
  • Options

Quite. There is a blindness amongst Tory diehards to the fact that there is a fatal fault line running through their party and that it is primarily the old guard/europhile rump who are out of touch with both reality and with the wider public opinion.

Until the europhile dinosaurs are finally excised from the party, the Tories will remain permanently split.
    UKIP speak

40% of voters would currently vote to remain in the EU = Out of touch europhile dinosaurs

39% of voters would currently vote to leave the EU = The majority (sic/lol) which UKIP are in touch with
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    F1: ha, just checking the official site to see what race is on over the election (none, but Spain is a few days later), and it's telling that 20/21 races are listed. Korea, I believe, is not, lending credence to the view it'll be dropped from the calendar.

Edited extra bit: no idea if the spreads are up yet (not something I bet on), but you should consider a 20 race calendar likely if you're betting on them.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, I'd guess an assumption (until recently correct) that there was nowhere else for such voters to turn. Understandable, but short-sighted and complacent.

Worth recalling the Western Empire could've seen off all external threats if it hadn't become addicted to regicide and consumed its strength in perpetual civil war. In that regard, Cameron's been a strategic failure, having presided over the splitting of the right.

The Conservatives could do with an Aurelian to stitch the Empire back together [and it'd help if they don't assassinate him].

Yes, the respect issue once more. Basically, the modernisers misdiagnosed the problems of the Conservative party's electoral appeal, learnt the wrong lessons from the 1990s New Labour "Project" and, when they applied them, they were already at least 10 years out of date anyway.

What some Conservative loyalists seem to overlook is that without necessarily changing a single current policy the leadership could have held on to far more of its original voter and activist base simply by listening to them, treating them courteously and with respect, and showing they were on our side.

But they couldn't because they weren't.
  • Options

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · 7m7 minutes ago
    #LibDems Great Britain by-election results since GE2010. They won Eastleigh, but 11 lost deposits from 19 contests.

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/550716028293251073
    Perfomance in parliamentary by elections either very good as in say 1972 or very bad as in say 1988/1989 have never been a good measure of how the Lib Dems will perform in the next GE
  • Options

"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
  • Options
    CD13 said:

MikeK,

"40+ seats for UKIP"

If that were the case, "Ca ne fait rien" for the others is even more unlikely.

I suspect I'm in the majority but 5 seats would be very satisfactory for the Kippers, although I'm sure Mr Senior would call 40plus seats a disaster for them.

It's an indication of just how far UKIP have come that some would now regard five seats as disappointing. Barely six months ago, they were odds on to win none.

Five or so would indeed be a decent result and give them a good base from which to work. My guess is that their results will be patchy and we'll see some surprises, such as Dover and Cleethorpes, and maybe a few disappointments, but they could make more than five, Double figures would be sensational.

(But it ain't gonna be 40. Sorry Mike.)
  • Options
    Charles said:

I think @OGH is in danger of calling this election very wrong.

It strikes me as he is searching for evidence to support his views rather than building his views on the evidence.

I regret that I have to agree with you. It is noticable when comparing in the archives with his articles a year ago. Not in an obvious way, but in a liberal democrat way of writing a very reasonable sounding sentence with a subtle little dig cleverly nestled within.

My experience is that this has become quite a common fault among Libdems since the Euro Election. I think it is because Libdems have over the last forty years gradually built up the party from 6 seats in 1970 to the sixty there are today and had great hopes for a Liberal future. For the first time in modern times this is in peril with the liberals risking being back to where they were in the ealry '80s before the SDP alliance. Until the Euro elections I think they just persuaded themselves it was midterm issues and the pendulum would swing back before the election. Now they are very worried that it might not, which would decimate the party for a generation.

There is also a slight tone of resentment (most noticeable when UKIP matters are discussed), fuelled, I think, by two things:

1) Libdems basically did the decent thing and put country before party in forming the coalition, and feel they have been kicked in the goolies by the electorate as a result (far more so than the Tories - despite UKIPs rise)

2) After forty years where Lab and Tory have become more small "l" liberal in outlook, the rise of UKIP threatens to create a very unliberal political voice in the UK again, especially as they look aghast at how many Libdem voters have switched directly to UKIP, demonstrating that they never had much time for Liberalism but just used the Liberals (as a cad might use a young lady) - to get at the Tories.

Basically I think they are very hurt (in an emotional sense). And to be fair, I have some sympathy for them.

On the postitive side, there has however, been more "passion" in Mikes posts since this shift than previously.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Yes, the respect issue once more. Basically, the modernisers misdiagnosed the problems of the Conservative party's electoral appeal, learnt the wrong lessons from the 1990s New Labour "Project" and, when they applied them, they were already at least 10 years out of date anyway.

What some Conservative loyalists seem to overlook is that without necessarily changing a single current policy the leadership could have held on to far more of its original voter and activist base simply by listening to them, treating them courteously and with respect, and showing they were on our side.

The so called modernisers had no clue what they were trying to do, They sought a clause 4 moment every month, failing to recognise Blair only threw a few bones to his target audience and one's which would have gone anyway. The Cameroons thought they had to knock the house down rather than do a spot of remodelling.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

@MikeK

If UKIP win only Thurrrock I would be well in profit despite having many more losers than winners

I tipped up Cannock Chase at 150/1... if that cops (5/2 now) it pays for a few losers

I am sure that however few seats UKIP win you will do a Stuart Dickson and claim a massive profit from your bets .
  • Options
    Sort on topic, a chap on twitter, has looked at the betting markets, and he's done some very good analysis in a series of tweets this afternoon.

One thing that he found out, which shocked me, and might be useful if SPIN introduce a 3-2-1 market

UKIP are favourites in 5 seats but 2nd (or joint 2nd) favourite in 289

His twitter account is here

https://twitter.com/MitchellSt/with_replies
  • Options
    2015 rocks!!!!!!!!!

So far.
  • Options

2015 rocks!!!!!!!!!

So far.

I've decided to back Chelsea now. Close to 10/1
  • Options

Sort on topic, a chap on twitter, has looked at the betting markets, and he's done some very good analysis in a series of tweets this afternoon.

One thing that he found out, which shocked me, and might be useful if SPIN introduce a 3-2-1 market

SPIN have never offered such constituency markets, TSE, and they'd be crazy to do so.

Your best chance is to get Shadsy drunk and get him to take place bets. ;-)
  • Options

2015 rocks!!!!!!!!!

So far.

Very wise... I'll sit naked on this however.
  • Options
    For those wishing 40+ concrete UKIP constituency wins; i,e. place names, I cannot in truth provide any. I have no lists like isam and am not a graph genius like Sunnil or an Excel weaver like Antifrank. I just have my vibes.

These do tell me however that UKIP wins will come almost exactly 60/40 from the Tories and Labour.
  • Options

SPIN have never offered such constituency markets, TSE, and they'd be crazy to do so.

Your best chance is to get Shadsy drunk and get him to take place bets. ;-)
    At the last election, didn't SPIN do a market, where when the big three, got a 3 points for a 1st place finished, 2 points for a second place finish and 1 point for 3rd or lower market.

So it made betting on total performance across the country.

Or am I misremembering?
  • Options

There aren't that many europhiles who are that significant in terms of authority within the party any more. The media pays far more attention to Heseltine, Clark et al. than MPs or members
  • Options

The so called modernisers had no clue what they were trying to do, They sought a clause 4 moment every month, failing to recognise Blair only threw a few bones to his target audience and one's which would have gone anyway. The Cameroons thought they had to knock the house down rather than do a spot of remodelling.

New Labour was very successful at radical constitutional, cultural and social change in the UK. Our retrospective tends to focus too much on the economic mood-music but even there although the presentation was centrist the reality was one of greatly increased public spending, just without the taxation to pay for it all.
  • Options

2015 rocks!!!!!!!!!

So far.

If it remains like this, Citeh are top?

Poor publicity shy Paddy Power, who paid out on Chelsea winning the title back in November.
  • Options
    I feel worse now than when we were 1-0 down... going to walk the dog.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, in much the same way the Angeli emperors were good at radical constitutional change in the Byzantine Empire*.

*For those unaware, they lost Byzantium and most of the Empire. The city was later recovered, but the Empire never did.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited January 2015

I was about to post I think some Spurs fans will be convinced that CFC will win 3-5, then I read that.

Spurs have scored some cracking goals today.

• Options

2015 rocks!!!!!!!!!

So far.

Poor publicity shy Paddy Power, who paid out on Chelsea winning the title back in November.
    IF...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

New Labour was very successful at radical constitutional, cultural and social change in the UK. Our retrospective tends to focus too much on the economic mood-music but even there although the presentation was centrist the reality was one of greatly increased public spending, just without the taxation to pay for it all.
    Well one could question how successful they were - they left a constitutional mess - but the sad thing Cameron is simply continuing a lot of the policies though at a slower pace. In effect he has consolidated the Blair\Brown settlement and is merely seeking to run it more efficiently.
  • Options
    isam said:

Wouldn't you do better to lay at this point?

you started at 300/2 and you can lay at, say, 10/2 and crystalise 95% of your potential profit.
  • Options

2015 rocks!!!!!!!!!

So far.

IF...
    You can thank me now.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

isam said:

isam said:

@MikeK

I am sure that however few seats UKIP win you will do a Stuart Dickson and claim a massive profit from your bets .
    Why would I do that? I bet for a living and have for years, I am happy to admit to losing bets I have hundreds every day.. unlike many on here I am more than happy to admit when I mess up

You are wrong to be so siure I would try and hide or lie

If you want I will publish every bet I have on the GE, and you can judge for yourself next May how I did

Although I did back Harry Kane to score the 5th goal in this game at 14/1 at half time

Cheer Up, and try not to be so bitter by accusing people you don't know of lying x
  • Options
    Charles said:

There aren't that many europhiles who are that significant in terms of authority within the party any more. The media pays far more attention to Heseltine, Clark et al. than MPs or members
    Because much of the media (particularly broadcast media) shares their views.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    edited January 2015

Walkies...

or

walk over?

• Options

UKIP speak

40% of voters would currently vote to remain in the EU = Out of touch europhile dinosaurs

39% of voters would currently vote to leave the EU = The majority (sic/lol) which UKIP are in touch with
    If we were just talking about in/out then I am sure that would be correct. Of course with the Europhile Tory rump we are talking about much more than that as they still believe in the principle of ever closer union. Try asking people if they are happy or unhappy with the EU or if they would like a loser relationship (which of course they can't have) and then see what those numbers look like.

Typical Tory, trying to pretend that we can have something that we can't.
  • Options

The Cameroons thought they had to knock the house down rather than do a spot of remodelling.

Don't you hate it when tenants do that?

Do you think the deposit will cover it?
  • Options
    I put a bet on Tottenham when they were 1-0 down at odds of 6.4. Unfortunately the stake was only £3.
This discussion has been closed.