Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Maybe we should all stop looking at the polls and wait till

Comments

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

There is no textual justification for murder in any of these documents, nor in the Bible, but the history of Islam and Christianity would lead you to think otherwise.

To which Bible do you refer! The current canon wasn't settled until the 5th Century, and there had been literally centuries of shilly-shallying and argument about which books should be in, and which should be out leading up to then. Even now different Christian denominations accept different books into their canon compared to the others. To see the extend of the division check out the first verse of Genesis in a Jehovah's Witness bible, I was surprised the first time I saw it.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    I see the hapless Kerry Smith has now resigned from UKIP altogether

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30492425

saying he was "sick of internal backstabbers who hold minor roles in the party"

He couldn't have meant Sean Fear and Isam, could he? C'mon Kerry we know you're there.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Roger said:

Antifrank

"Morning all. Those considering the possible next Conservative leader should read this speech by Sajid Javid:"

Though it is a well constructed speech I'm not a fan of politicians who talk to interest groups and just parrot the concerns of that group. Israel have disregarded more UN resolutions than any other country and The Conservative Party are past masters at boycotts yet the federation of jewish students are treated to Javid's frank views on why cultural boycotts against Israel are offensive even hinting at anti semitism.

Did you oppose Paul Simon recording Graceland in South Africa?
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Indigo said:

CD13 said:

And killing others has always been wrong in Christianity. No ifs and buts.

Except during The Crusades of course..

Several hundred thousand Roman Catholic Christians became crusaders by taking a public vow and receiving plenary indulgences from the church. Remembering that an indulgence is the the pre-forgiveness of sins.. in this case being the sins being wholesale rape, pillage, torture and slaughter.

I always thought the massacre of the Cathars was a particularly telling indictment:

"When they discovered, from the admissions of some of them, that there were Catholics mingled with the heretics they said to the abbot “Sir, what shall we do, for we cannot distinguish between the faithful and the heretics.” The abbot, like the others, was afraid that many, in fear of death, would pretend to be Catholics, and after their departure, would return to their heresy, and is said to have replied “Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius - Kill them all for the Lord knoweth them that are His” (2 Tim. ii. 19) and so countless number in that town were slain."

The Cathars never recovered.
    It's an indictment, but not only in the way you think.

The Cathars never recovered because, like the Shakers, they relied on recruitment to replenish their numbers, not natural reproduction.

You can transfer the lessons to the modern day and immigration and the persistence of religion despite all the forces marshalled against it in the West.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    The Co-op Bank fails the BoE stress tests with Lloyds and RBS at risk. The stress tests were:

Sterling falls by about 30%
    House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    CPI inflation peaks at 6.6%
    Unemployment rises to nearly 12%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

The other five banks: HSBC, Barclays, Santander, Nationwide and Standard Chartered all passed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30491161

This could lead to closure/disposal of more Co-Op branches.
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Indigo said:

TOPPING said:

Cracking Polly this morning. Unaccountably the comments aren't yet open - the moderators presumably still in the gym and then knocking back the rum ration ahead of a demanding session.

theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/16/tories-poor-people-iain-duncan-smith-behavioural-change

The moderators are going to be busy, that article is complete and utter tosh even by her own exemplary standards in this regard. Her basic problem appears to be that she feels the state should pay for people that continue to produce children with no thought to their own financial circumstances ad infinitum.

....As an aside, I remember the Guardian becoming unreadable in the six months before GE2010. I do hope they do not repeat that mistake.
    The Guardian is rarely readable.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Cyclefree said:

Mr. Punter, it's strange how atrocities and betrayals in the Crusades tend to get put on Crusaders' doors but not Muslims. Both sides broke faith, accepting surrender on condition of being allow to live, and then massacring prisoners.

Part of it was just due to the age. The medieval world was a cruel one.

The difference is, there are no crusaders conquering the Middle East today, but there is a so-called caliphate [and most of the people it's killed have been Muslim].

What is also strange is how it's forgotten that Muslims were aggressors when they invaded the Holy Lands and other places. The Crusades were a response to that aggression. In the Middle East Muslims were the Johnny- come-latelys and by the standards of the time the existing peoples there were perfectly entitled to defend themselves from the invaders from the Arabian desert.

But now I'm off to explore the Asian side of Byzantium.....

Shades of German expansion to the East Bad, and Soviet expansion to the West Good.

Don't mention the Seljuk Turks taking on Byzantium and winning control of Jerusalem before The First Cursade.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    A few years ago - the FBI's survelliance audio tapes of the Jim Jones massacre ended up on the internet and I listened to them. It was horrific. The whole speech he gave, the sounds of fear in the voices of the congregation, peer pressure, crying and finally silence. It lasts about 2hrs.

I avoid this sort of stuff as a rule and only stuck with it as I was researching peer-group/cult behaviour. It makes the whole Stanford experiment on prisoner cruelty look tame.

Indigo said:

Of course, it suits a right-wing meme to blame it all on Islam but the truth is that lunatics tend to seize on any religious fundamentalism to justify their actions.

Out of interest what sort of proof would you need before you would believe it was more than a nutter, or group of nutters, or possibly a regiment of nutters with close air support....

Wasn’t Jones, the guy who led the poisoning sect in Guyana a few years ago, allegedly some sort of Christian?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    Financier said:

The Co-op Bank fails the BoE stress tests with Lloyds and RBS at risk. The stress tests were:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

The other five banks: HSBC, Barclays, Santander, Nationwide and Standard Chartered all passed.

Banks fail it? What about members of the public...!!?

That scenario wouldn't leave many left standing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nice speech from Sajid.

Cracking Polly this morning. Unaccountably the comments aren't yet open - the moderators presumably still in the gym and then knocking back the rum ration ahead of a demanding session.

theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/dec/16/tories-poor-people-iain-duncan-smith-behavioural-change

How did Polly ever pass the test of being an impartial reporter for the BBC?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    TOPPING said:

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

What about deflation ? Has there been a stress test for that - I think it is a live possibility with the oil slump.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, morally dubious experiments can yield the most interesting results. In the 50s or 60s scientists deliberately terrified newborn babies. They did this to see whether they'd flee to a photo of their mother, or a soft and cuddly (but not very mother-looking) toy [it was it appearance or touch they mattered more]. They went to the toy, and that changed how babies were treated in hospital (prior to that they were kept separate from mothers, afterwards, a tactile relationship was encouraged).

Millions of individuals may have benefited from that change... but it only came about due to something that would not be permitted today.

The Stanford experiment is as fascinating as it is frightening.
  • Options
    Brent crude sub $60 now.

Pump prices should continue to fall, got some diesel in at the weekend at £119.9 but should go lower yet.
  • Options
    Mr. Betting, do you recall the coverage the yacht business?

For 3-4 days the main story in all the world was that Osborne was proximate to a man for a short period, and that this man had some money.

No money was offered, solicited, requested, given or loaned.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,154
    Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

As a Co-op customer I’m concerned, but not worried. Certainly not worried enough to change my account.

Am I being naive?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

What about deflation ? Has there been a stress test for that - I think it is a live possibility with the oil slump.
    There are wise voices that say the reason for the oil price slump is to halt the fracking in its tracks. Below $80 it is not economical to frack and as of now 90% of the projects in the US have been cancelled.

Expect the oil price to rebound to $80 and stay there for a while.
  • Options

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

As a Co-op customer I’m concerned, but not worried. Certainly not worried enough to change my account.

Am I being naive?
    Unless you're utterly loaded and so have more than the BoE protected amount in there - no. But that would be the same for any bank.

• Options

Miss Plato, morally dubious experiments can yield the most interesting results. In the 50s or 60s scientists deliberately terrified newborn babies. They did this to see whether they'd flee to a photo of their mother, or a soft and cuddly (but not very mother-looking) toy [it was it appearance or touch they mattered more]. They went to the toy, and that changed how babies were treated in hospital (prior to that they were kept separate from mothers, afterwards, a tactile relationship was encouraged).

Millions of individuals may have benefited from that change... but it only came about due to something that would not be permitted today.

Didn’t we have a discussion here some time ago about Nazi science, and whether or not the results should be used? OIr was it somewhere else?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    dr_spyn said:

Why is Red Ed trending on Twitter?

Prezza called him that on R4 this morning.

Any bets on who on the left will call low inflation "bad news" ?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Murphy and SLAB "Climbing a mountain? More like trying to empty Loch Lomond with a bucket."

http://www.scotsman.com/news/peter-jones-clause-four-thought-at-labour-party-1-3635242
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Indigo said:

stodge said:

Of course, the cheap jibes and waspish comments hide the growing frustration bordering on panic in Conservative ranks that the polls aren't going to turn, Labour won't collapse and the UKIP defectors won't come back.

There probably are a few "soft kippers" around, maybe 3-4%, which might drift back, although given the predilection of most Tories to hurl abuse at anyone even remotely associated with UKIP, and patronise their concerns or describe them as racists, I think they probably need to work on their anger management, or look forward to opposition. It's possible that Ed might feck up even more, or implode at the TV debates (if they happen) but that seems like a high risk strategy.
    Probably those Kippers who previously voted Labour will return first. They are, after all, in Opposition. Their problems will come when they are in office.

I somehow don't think that will soothe Conservative nerves before GE2015.
    I think the Kippers who previously voted Labour are the least likely to return.

The only reason they have moved to UKIP is their concerns over immigration, and I somehow cannot see Ed coming out with anything remotely sensible that will placate them.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    BenM said:

JackW said:

stodge said:

JackW said:

In the debates I look forward to Ed even remembering to mention the deficit and immigration.

Yes, well, I know you're not a fan of Ed M any more than you seem to be a "fan" of any leader of the Labour Party.

I don't suppose many people rated Nick Clegg's chances of winning the first election debate last time which goes to show you might be wrong on Ed Miliband as well. Cameron had it east last time attacking the Labour Government's record - he may not find defending his own Government's record that easy and we know from past experience that he's far from unflappable if the questioning gets hostile.

My assessment on leaders is based on their ability to win. In this respect Ed fits completely the mould of Foot, Kinnock, Hague, IDS and Howard - An electoral dud.

But leading in the polls 4 months before an election campaign against a PM who is also a dud.
    You may comfort yourself that in some polls Labour is marginally in the lead. Any Opposition worth it measure would be substantially ahead and with a leader whose rating was not on the floor, even with some of it's own supporters.

Labour is even within its present historically low position flattering to deceive. When the punters turn their mind to political events and elections within the past year Labour has underperformed the polls. They will do so again in May.

Ed will be gone as Labour leader within days of his defeat.

• Options
    Indeed. I wonder if that's why sci-fi stories about scientists who'll do anything to get a result are so enduring in popular fiction too.

• Options
    King Cole, might have been here, but I missed it.

Mengele was a grade A ****.

I'm pretty sure we use lots of tech pioneered or at least improved/developed further by the Nazis (rocketry springs to mind, but I think X-rays as well, and perhaps in jet engines).
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

TOPPING said:

Nice speech from Sajid.

I'm sure Polly Toynbee has written a variation on a theme many times over the decades.I thought this was particularly powerful,
    "Some themes deep in the heart of Toryism just never go away. Up they pop, over and over. Control the lower orders, stop them breeding, check their spending, castigate their lifestyles. Poking, sneering, moralising and despising is hardwired within Tory DNA."

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,688
    More detail on the hostage taker's former activities from nsnbc: http://nsnbc.me/2014/12/16/who-created-cartoon-character-man-haron-monis-behind-sydney-siege-circus/

• Options
    JohnO said:

He couldn't have meant Sean Fear and Isam, could he? C'mon Kerry we know you're there.

Are you spending Chrimbo in Hersham or is the Bournemouth railway timetable being well thumbed ?

• Options
    Miss Plato, there are probably a few reasons. It's happened in real life, so immoral experimentation seems realistic/plausible, it's terrifying, it's repugnant, but it can create the dilemma we've mentioned: if terrible experiments yield great advances, should we make use of them? Does it justify the ends?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'd agree with you there.

Kippers have a very sticky message that will make it harder for Labour to peel them back.

EdM's mini-speech was just risible. And he's annoyed a load more journalists by talking up 7 mins 25 secs in Gt Yarmouth. I haven't seen a single positive word about it. He's drawing attention to something that he clearly isn't going to do anything about - or just ape the Tories which compounds his Kipper problem.

Ninoinoz said:

Indigo said:

stodge said:

Of course, the cheap jibes and waspish comments hide the growing frustration bordering on panic in Conservative ranks that the polls aren't going to turn, Labour won't collapse and the UKIP defectors won't come back.

There probably are a few "soft kippers" around, maybe 3-4%, which might drift back, although given the predilection of most Tories to hurl abuse at anyone even remotely associated with UKIP, and patronise their concerns or describe them as racists, I think they probably need to work on their anger management, or look forward to opposition. It's possible that Ed might feck up even more, or implode at the TV debates (if they happen) but that seems like a high risk strategy.
    Probably those Kippers who previously voted Labour will return first. They are, after all, in Opposition. Their problems will come when they are in office.

The only reason they have moved to UKIP is their concerns over immigration, and I somehow cannot see Ed coming out with anything remotely sensible that will placate them.
  • Options

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?
    It depends whether you believe the forecasts of economic collapse the day after GE2015.
  • Options
    Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Anticipating the full horrors of Balls as Chancellor .... somewhat kind to Labour Party economic policy some might say.

• Options
    More Islam on Islam

"At least 100 people, 80 of them children, have been killed in a Taliban assault on an army-run school in Peshawar, Pakistani officials say.

Five or six militants wearing security uniforms entered the school, officials said. Gunfire and explosions were heard as security forces surrounded the area.

The army says most of the school's 500 students have been evacuated. It is not clear how many are being held hostage.

A Taliban spokesman says the assault is in response to army operations.

Hundreds of Taliban fighters are thought to have died in a recent military offensive in North Waziristan and the nearby Khyber area."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30491435

You really have to ask what is in the evil mind of these people who joyfully kill children.The same is happening in Nigeria as well as Iraq.
  • Options
    RE: Co-op Bank
    Who would imagine that having Labour politicians run a large business and financial institution worth Billions of £s, could drive it down to the point of bankruptcy?

• Options
    Islam is a religon of peace, some folk say....
    A day of shame.
  • Options
    And Chechens with School No. 4 in Beslan. That was just simply horrific.
    Financier said:

More Islam on Islam

"At least 100 people, 80 of them children, have been killed in a Taliban assault on an army-run school in Peshawar, Pakistani officials say.

Five or six militants wearing security uniforms entered the school, officials said. Gunfire and explosions were heard as security forces surrounded the area.

The army says most of the school's 500 students have been evacuated. It is not clear how many are being held hostage.

A Taliban spokesman says the assault is in response to army operations.

Hundreds of Taliban fighters are thought to have died in a recent military offensive in North Waziristan and the nearby Khyber area."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30491435

You really have to ask what is in the evil mind of these people who joyfully kill children.The same is happening in Nigeria as well as Iraq.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    I have now officially given up on politics until the New Year.

I will be up for singing carols and a game of footie with the Kippers in No-man's Land.
  • Options

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?
    It depends whether you believe the forecasts of economic collapse the day after GE2015.
    In a word, No!
  • Options
    Me too.

I'm indulging in a lot of very old TV and planning a 1970/80s Christmas of old James Bond, Two Ronnies, Morecambe and Wise...

I will be up for singing carols and a game of footie with the Kippers in No-man's Land.

• Options

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?
    In a word, No!
    Good to see you have full faith in Coalition economic policy ....

"Smiles"

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I'm sure Polly Toynbee has written a variation on a theme many times over the decades.I thought this was particularly powerful,
    "Some themes deep in the heart of Toryism just never go away. Up they pop, over and over. Control the lower orders, stop them breeding, check their spending, castigate their lifestyles. Poking, sneering, moralising and despising is hardwired within Tory DNA."

"Poking, sneering, moralising and despising is " the backbone of every article Polly writes.
  • Options

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?
    After their recent history, I cannot understand for the life of me why anyone would actually choose to keep their banking arrangements with the Co-op.
    But there again, I like to sleep nights and I'd never trade with the Co-op anyway.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Nice speech from Sajid.

"Control the lower orders, stop them breeding, check their spending, castigate their lifestyles. Poking, sneering, moralising and despising is hardwired..."
    Yes this is what the founders of the Labour party believed. Just read about Sidney and Beatrice Webb.

"Many early left-wing thinkers wanted government to direct social policy towards "improving" the human race by discouraging reproduction among those sections of society deemed to have undesirable genes. Supporters of state planning often found the idea of a planned genetic future attractive. As Adrian Wooldridge, author of Measuring the Mind: Education and Psychology in England 1860-1990, comments: "The Webbs supported eugenic planning just as fervently as town planning." Beatrice Webb declared eugenics to be "the most important question of all" while her husband remarked that "no eugenicist can be a laissez-faire individualist".
    http://www.newstatesman.com/society/2010/12/british-eugenics-disabled

Polly should know about the Fabian roots to all this stuff from her family's ties in with the chats around the left wing dining tables of her youth.....
  • Options
    Financier said:

[snipped for space]

I despair, the actions of these Islamic extremists is unfathomable and quite sickening.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?
    After their recent history, I cannot understand for the life of me why anyone would actually choose to keep their banking arrangements with the Co-op.
    But there again, I like to sleep nights and I'd never trade with the Co-op anyway.
    Yes but the Co-op best sausages are quite a decent banger for a supermarket purchase.

Sadly we lost the last butcher in Redbourn a year back.

• Options
    And Marie Stopes of pregnancy clinic fame wasn't interested in women's rights - she advocated birth control to stop stupid people breeding. She was a very strange lady - IIRC she was even against people who wore glasses.

TOPPING said:

Nice speech from Sajid.

"Control the lower orders, stop them breeding, check their spending, castigate their lifestyles. Poking, sneering, moralising and despising is hardwired..."
    Yes this is what the founders of the Labour party believed. Just read about Sidney and Beatrice Webb.

"Many early left-wing thinkers wanted government to direct social policy towards "improving" the human race by discouraging reproduction among those sections of society deemed to have undesirable genes. Supporters of state planning often found the idea of a planned genetic future attractive. As Adrian Wooldridge, author of Measuring the Mind: Education and Psychology in England 1860-1990, comments: "The Webbs supported eugenic planning just as fervently as town planning." Beatrice Webb declared eugenics to be "the most important question of all" while her husband remarked that "no eugenicist can be a laissez-faire individualist".
    http://www.newstatesman.com/society/2010/12/british-eugenics-disabled

Polly should know about the Fabian roots to all this stuff from her family's ties in with the chats around the left wing dining tables of her youth.....
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

Indigo said:

stodge said:

It's a compelling argument. And you can extend it to future leaders too. If you've moved from Labour to UKIP because of either policy or you think Farage seems like a common sense chap, who's going to bring you back? Umunna? Cooper? Hunt? Reeves? Burnham is the most likely, but even he I can't see it with.
  • Options
    Tesco's Butchers Choice Turkey sausages are super.
    JackW said:

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?
    Yes but the Co-op best sausages are quite a decent banger for a supermarket purchase.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

TOPPING said:

Nice speech from Sajid.

That describes perfectly a particular type of left-wing thinking.

As TC says, the Webbs are an excellent example. Another more specific example is the construction of the Becontree Council Estate. The Socialist planners of the estate were adamant that pubs, and bingo halls should not be located anywhere on the estate, lest the working classes fritter their money away. Attlee objected to working class people taking package holidays, believing they gained nothing from foreign travel.

The modern form of this is to monitor the lower classes for signs of sexism, homophobia, and racism, as well as criticising their fecklessness and promiscuity.
  • Options
    Mr. F, you missed off 'excessive flag usage'.
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    We are missing ICM and Mori from that list which is a shame. Would not want to draw a conclusion until they are out.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Scott_P said:

"Poking, sneering, moralising and despising is " the backbone of every article Polly writes.
    Qualities unknown in Islington!
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

I saw that this mrning. My first reaction: if any of those scenarios occurred the banks that supposedly "passed" would be screwed too.
  • Options
    Plato said:

JackW said:

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?

Is that the view of your furry friends also?
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?
    Oddly enough I’ve just transferred some money to a relative who was temporarily embarrassed, due to the failure of two “big five” banks to transfer money in good time,
    The Co-op transfer went through in less than an hour!
  • Options
    Plato said:

Me too.

I'm indulging in a lot of very old TV and planning a 1970/80s Christmas of old James Bond, Two Ronnies, Morecambe and Wise...

Lucky you. Both my sons have asked me to review their corporate plans for 2015-2017 (both for plcs) - just while I am there!
  • Options
    Plato said:

JackW said:

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?

I shall nod Mrs JackW to advise cook.

We used to have two independent butchers in Redbourn within the past five years. Both shut through retirement and the inability to sell the business even though both were viable in this wealthy enclave of Herts.

The monthly Harpenden farmers market always requires a substantial injection of JackW cash .... as Mrs JackW instructs me and we try and bring home produce from Scotland as often as we can .... it's the only way the yellow peril will get in my southern dining room !!

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2014
    Plato said:

JackW said:

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?

Turkey sausage? Get thee behind me, Satan!
  • Options
    Mr. M, also worth noting if those things, or one of them, happened to us it'd likely either affect or be caused by overseas woe (eurozone falling into the sea, for example), which would have a further impact on our trade and the like.

On the plus side, the eurozone appears pretty solid now. On the negative side, the previous sentence is an utter lie.
  • Options
    My new one only eats fish flakes and won't eat prawns - little bugger. I only got them for her. I'm going to try making sesame toasts with the rest of the packet!
    Financier said:

Plato said:

JackW said:

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?

Is that the view of your furry friends also?
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    YouGov is overstating the Greens and understating the Lib Dems and Labour.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited December 2014

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?
    Oddly enough I’ve just transferred some m oney to a relative who was r]temporarily embarrassed, due to the failure of two “big five” banks to transfer money in good time,
    I work practically next door to the co-op HQ here in Mancland.

Speaking to the staff their, as we all share the same coffee shops and what not, the biggest issue for the bank is the staff.

Most of their best staff have left because of the uncertainty, and they can't recruit decent staff from other banks because of the uncertainty.

I still remain a Co-op bank customer and a member of the co-op.

But my main bank account is with Barclays after defecting from RBS prior to the Indyref.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

I think we can survive his resignation.

He once told me (when still a Conservative) that he wanted to fight a council seat against the BNP because "I'm more right wing on immigration."
  • Options
    The Times Red Box email has a countdown clock to the GE, it always reminds me of the Iranian Hostage Crisis under Jimmy Carter. We'd get clip of US TV news on the BBC here and they often had a Mastermind style counter in the corner of the screen with Day XYZ. IIRC they were trapped for 444 days. Can't remember how many were in there - about 50 I think.

Can you imagine that nowadays?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Plato said:

JackW said:

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?

I shall nod Mrs JackW to advise cook.

We used to have two independent butchers in Redbourn within the past five years. Both shut through retirement and the inability to sell the business even though both were viable in this wealthy enclave of Herts.

The monthly Harpenden farmers market always requires a substantial injection of JackW cash .... as Mrs JackW instructs me and we try and bring home produce from Scotland as often as we can .... it's the only way the yellow peril will get in my southern dining room !!

We have an excellent butcher in the small town where I live and another, specialising in sausages, at the weekly market. His black pudding ones ..... pork mixed with black pudding ..... are excellent
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,167

Murphy and SLAB "Climbing a mountain? More like trying to empty Loch Lomond with a bucket."

http://www.scotsman.com/news/peter-jones-clause-four-thought-at-labour-party-1-3635242

Many thanks:

"Establishing clear Scottish party autonomy and then a clear Scottish identity is obviously of paramount importance. With that has to come a clear, easy-to-communicate vision of what Scotland under Labour might be like. It is more important than ever that this vision be inspirational, not just to win votes, but to recruit new party members needed as vote-winning troops on the ground. The party is completely hollowed out. Its membership in the constituency parties is less than 10,000 and perhaps not even a tenth of what the SNP can now boast.

What’s more, senior party members tell me that most of the existing constituency membership comprises the relatives and friends of councillors/MSPs/MPs who see their primary role as protecting these fiefdoms and who would not welcome, let alone cause to happen, an influx of new members who might try to oust second-rate post-holders in favour of somebody new and better."
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Plato said:

JackW said:

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?

Mmm as a non mammal eater these are going to have to be tried
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Interesting from Pew Research today:

Most populous countries 2050
    1 India
    2 China
    3 Nigeria
    4 US
    5 Indonesia
    6 Pakistan
    7 Brazil

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdlRfqQIYAAAu6m.png
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?
    Oddly enough I’ve just transferred some m oney to a relative who was r]temporarily embarrassed, due to the failure of two “big five” banks to transfer money in good time,

Speaking to the staff their, as we all share the same coffee shops and what not, the biggest issue for the bank is the staff.

Most of their best staff have left because of the uncertainty, and they can't recruit decent staff from other banks because of the uncertainty.

But my main bank account is with Barclays after defecting from RBS prior to the Indyref.
    Did you also join up to end the Co-Op's link with Labour?

• Options
    And so on the almost seasonal note of turkey sausages may I advise PB that this is my last post of 2014.

May I most cordially wish all of the PB community a wonderful festive season and all the joys of Christmas.

Until the New Year ....
  • Options
    No fat, don't burst open if you stab them once or twice, wonderful with gravy and mash or salsa or stuffing... in fact anything - they make rather nice toad in the hole too.
    isam said:

Plato said:

JackW said:

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?

Mmm as a non mammal eater these are going to have to be tried
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    A day of shame.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/12/15/Thousands-of-Germans-to-March-Against-Islamisation

This is a bit worrying.

• Options
    Hope Santa is generous and psychic.
    JackW said:

And so on the almost seasonal note of turkey sausages may I advise PB that this is my last post of 2014.

May I most cordially wish all of the PB community a wonderful festive season and all the joys of Christmas.

Until the New Year ....

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,394
    edited December 2014
    JackW said:

Until the New Year ....

Seasons Greetings, Young Jack. Don't eat too many pork pies, be nice to matron, and don't shoot too many LibDems (they're an endangered species now.)

PtP
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?

Did you also join up to end the Co-Op's link with Labour?

No, I've been a member of the co-op and their bank for years, you can blame my membership of Amnesty International for that.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas, Mr. W.
  • Options
    BenM said:

YouGov is overstating the Greens and understating the Lib Dems and Labour.

I'd agree that it tends to overstate the Greens and understate the Lib Dems (I expect the two are linked).

But, Yougov's Labour vote share is in line with the rest.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    Moses_ said:

Todays BJESUS

16.12.14 LAB 318 (319) CON 267(267) LD 31(31) UKIP 1(1) Others 33(32) (Ed is crap is PM)
    Last weeks BJESUS in brackets Last weeks BJESUS in brackets
    BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing) BJESUS (Big John Election Service Uniform Swing)
    Using current polling adjusted for 142 days left to go factor and using UKPR standard swingometer

Why do you always go AWOL on the days Ed makes big speeches?
    Mondays are my AWOL day
  • Options
    woody662 said:

We are missing ICM and Mori from that list which is a shame. Would not want to draw a conclusion until they are out.

Indeed not ...... isn't the latest ICM poll due out today?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Very odd poll done for Unite in Cameron's constituency trying to make trouble about TTIP

http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Full-Witney-Tables.pdf

52.9% CON in the VI section not a huge surprise I guess.
  • Options

woody662 said:

Indeed not ...... isn't the latest ICM poll due out today?
    I've been told it should be this week.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

He once told me (when still a Conservative) that he wanted to fight a council seat against the BNP because "I'm more right wing on immigration."
    Clearly an unpleasant guy, and I'm glad to see so many of my fellow UKIP supporters condemned him and the party got rid of him so quickly. What a difference to when this stuff happens to the Tories.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Clearly an unpleasant guy, and I'm glad to see so many of my fellow UKIP supporters condemned him and the party got rid of him so quickly. What a difference to when this stuff happens to the Tories.
    Lolz.

UKIP knew about it for months, and still let him go forward to candidate selection.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited December 2014

Moses_ said:

CD13 said:

Indigo,

Except during The Crusades of course."

And all the rest. There aren't many Saints around. Christians know what they should do but recognise they fall short for reasons of expediency, greed, lust etc.

In Islam, you have the Koran and the Hadith so more room for your own interpretation. You can kill with an easy mind, if you convince yourself. Unfortunately, a small minority do.

There is no textual justification for murder in any of these documents, nor in the Bible, but the history of Islam and Christianity would lead you to think otherwise.
    I understood that one Muslim should never kill another muslim according to the scriptures. However I also understand that if the Muslim undertaking the deed has decided the other is no longer of the faith or a good muslim then that's ok. Interesting interpretation and of course a neat escape clause?
    It's an interpretation, Moses, not dissimilar to the interpretation the Crusaders employed when roasting heathen babies live over open fires.
    The Crusaders were all sword weilding Tory's ..... Wow !

Beats the baby eating meme all day long.

*winks*

EDit just seen jackW's comment ha!
  • Options
    Alex Wickham has just noticed most of the whoppers from all parties we have been talking about for the past few months

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/12/16/Everyone-is-lying-to-you/
    Birds fly, fish swim and politicians tell lies, so the old cliché goes. Most of the time, the really big whoppers are so bad that everyone notices them. If a politician tells a porkie about why he took us to war, if an MP fibs about fiddling his expenses, if a minister misleads voters about a sex scandal, we all tend to know. Going into next year’s election, politicians from all the major parties are telling huge lies - and even worse, they expect to get away with them.
  • Options
    I note, Nigel Farage didn't remove Kerry Smith, Kerry Smith resigned.

No wonder Carswell warned UKIP yesterday about their racism and their attitude to second generation immigrants.
  • Options
    taffys said:

A day of shame.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/12/15/Thousands-of-Germans-to-March-Against-Islamisation

This is a bit worrying.

No doubt the overwhelming majority of Muslims are no more or less peaceful than the rest of society, but any one who doubts that most of the current terrorist acts are connected with Islam is stark raving mad.

As with immigration, when politicians constantly make statements that directly contrast with what ordinary people are seeing and hearing in their daily lives/in the news, it feels like they are insulting our intelligence.. And it is this conflict between twist people are feeling and what they are good to think that makes people very angry

Constantly repeating that Islam is a religion of peace when quite large numbers are killed on a seemingly daily basis in its name just feels like propaganda... I am sure if politicians acknowledged there is a problem rather than made excuses it would not fuel anti Muslim feeling to more than its current level
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Is he still a UKIP County Councillor?
  • Options

Financier said:

House prices fall by 35%
    Bank rate rises to 4.2%
    GDP falls by 3.5%
    Share prices fall by 30%

Am I being naive?
    Well there's no need to panic.

but if you do panic - PANIC FIRST!
  • Options
    Wow, Greenpeace managed to get denounced by the Peruvian President himself, after their Nazca idiocy.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/12/16/Greenpeace-in-Peru-another-epic-PR-fail/
    Even Peru's president Ollanta Humala has weighed in:

"We must simply spread the word, alert the world. Watch out at the Taj Mahal, watch out at the pyramids in Egypt, because we all face the threat that Greenpeace could attack any of humanity's historical heritage."
  • Options

Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Is he still a UKIP County Councillor?
    I am not sure, but the Tory Councillor who ranted about "ragheads" and "son's of camel drivers" appears to still have his job.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    I am sure if politicians acknowledged there is a problem rather than made excuses it would not fuel anti Muslim feeling to more than its current level

When you read the threads below the news stories, you sense an immense islam fatigue. People have just had enough. They just wish it would go away.

And that is dangerous.
  • Options
    Mr. Indigo, seems fair enough. Greenpeace would bloody morons to do what they did. Not surprised the Peruvians are pissed off.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Well said. And when news outlets avoid the M Word - it just causes readers and viewers to think the bien pesants take us for fools/then assume everything else they say is tripe.
    isam said:

taffys said:

A day of shame.

This is a bit worrying.

No doubt the overwhelming majority of Muslims are no more or less peaceful than the rest of society, but any one who doubts that most of the current terrorist acts are connected with Islam is stark raving mad.

As with immigration, when politicians constantly make statements that directly contrast with what ordinary people are seeing and hearing in their daily lives/in the news, it feels like they are insulting our intelligence.. And it is this conflict between twist people are feeling and what they are good to think that makes people very angry

Constantly repeating that Islam is a religion of peace when quite large numbers are killed on a seemingly daily basis in its name just feels like propaganda... I am sure if politicians acknowledged there is a problem rather than made excuses it would not fuel anti Muslim feeling to more than its current level
  • Options
    If Scottish Labour change their consitution to Scotland First, then Labour can have no moral basis for wanting Scottish MPs to vote on English laws since there would be a clear conflict of interest, such as with income tax votes.
  • Options
    Given that even the President of Peru isn't allowed near the Nazca site - no wonder he's pissed at tree-huggers stomping all over it.
    Indigo said:

Wow, Greenpeace managed to get denounced by the Peruvian President himself, after their Nazca idiocy.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-London/2014/12/16/Greenpeace-in-Peru-another-epic-PR-fail/

Even Peru's president Ollanta Humala has weighed in:

"We must simply spread the word, alert the world. Watch out at the Taj Mahal, watch out at the pyramids in Egypt, because we all face the threat that Greenpeace could attack any of humanity's historical heritage."
  • Options
    Mr. Evershed, there's a total lack of democratic accountability either way, but is the 'Scotland First' option something being actively considered?
  • Options

I note, Nigel Farage didn't remove Kerry Smith, Kerry Smith resigned.

No wonder Carswell warned UKIP yesterday about their racism and their attitude to second generation immigrants.

Reading between the lines, a hell of a lot of pressure was placed on him to resign.

• Options
    Socrates said:

Sean_F said:

JohnO said:

Er why was he deselected as the PPC the first time if UKIP knew nothing about his nutty views and unpleasant manner?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

CD13 said:

Indigo,

Except during The Crusades of course."

And all the rest. There aren't many Saints around. Christians know what they should do but recognise they fall short for reasons of expediency, greed, lust etc.

In Islam, you have the Koran and the Hadith so more room for your own interpretation. You can kill with an easy mind, if you convince yourself. Unfortunately, a small minority do.

I understood that one Muslim should never kill another muslim according to the scriptures. However I also understand that if the Muslim undertaking the deed has decided the other is no longer of the faith or a good muslim then that's ok. Interesting interpretation and of course a neat escape clause?
    It's an interpretation, Moses, not dissimilar to the interpretation the Crusaders employed when roasting heathen babies live over open fires.
    The Crusaders were all sword weilding Tory's ..... Wow !

Beats the baby eating meme all day long.

*winks*

EDit just seen jackW's comment ha!
    Actually the Kingdom of Jerusalem was a very religiously tolerant society (shockingly so, to many Western Europeans). Jews, Muslims, and non-Catholic Christians all existed in large numbers among the population, and had considerable freedom to worship.

Mostly, the outcomes of the First Crusade were good ones. Later crusades were much less successful, and counter-productive.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Plato said:

Well said. And when news outlets avoid the M Word - it just causes readers and viewers to think the bien pesants take us for fools/then assume everything else they say is tripe.

isam said:

taffys said:

A day of shame.

This is a bit worrying.

"it feels like they are insulting our intelligence"

and then I don't check before posting and have written...

"And it is this conflict between twist people are feeling and what they are good to think that makes people very angry "

haha what an idiot!

twist=what and good=told

This discussion has been closed.