Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The headline figures of many polls feature the views of sig

124»

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited December 2014
    Bobajob_ said:

ISam - if they disapprove they need not be married under the measure themself and can choose to decline to attend such a ceremony if invited to one. As it happens, many people do end up going and change their view. Such was the case with an inlaw who had a same sex marriage. Many of my wife's family did in the end attend and the good experience meant they changed their outlook

To some people it means more than just ignoring it. That's like saying if you don't think murder is wrong, just don't murder anyone, but don't annoyed at other people who do

Why don't you use the reply function?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    There is a new thread.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

SPOTY - my theory, based upon the fact that it is decided by the viewers:

Golf is a tiresome game for boring old farts in shocking plus-fours. A way to ruin a good walk. It is the Nigel Farage of sporting activity and as cool as your dad's jumper.

F1 is a bit more interesting, noisy, fun, glamorous, sexy, in-yer-face and potentially dangerous.

Thus the vote was something akin to knitting vs gladiatorial combat. And Spartacus won.

I think that there have been enough British golfing champions and number ones, but there have only ever been four multiple F1 world driving champions from Britain. Hamilton's achievement is much larger, and given that Hamilton has had a key role in developing the Mercedes car I think people just saying he had it easy because he had the fastest car are wrong.
    MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

SPOTY - my theory, based upon the fact that it is decided by the viewers:

Golf is a tiresome game for boring old farts in shocking plus-fours. A way to ruin a good walk. It is the Nigel Farage of sporting activity and as cool as your dad's jumper.

F1 is a bit more interesting, noisy, fun, glamorous, sexy, in-yer-face and potentially dangerous.

Thus the vote was something akin to knitting vs gladiatorial combat. And Spartacus won.

I think that there have been enough British golfing champions and number ones, but there have only ever been four multiple F1 world driving champions from Britain. Hamilton's achievement is much larger, and given that Hamilton has had a key role in developing the Mercedes car I think people just saying he had it easy because he had the fastest car are wrong.
    Only one other British golfer has won more than one major championship in a year in the modern era, Nick Faldo - so purely in the context of where his achievement ranks within the sport, you'd put McIlroy ahead. His achievement also has been solely this year, rather than in addition to previous success. Find it rather strange that Hamilton won - perhaps it's purely because his success is more fresh in the mind, although interestingly the only other British golfer to win two majors in a year, Nick Faldo, also lost the year he won two majors - not even making the top three in 1990, with Gazza winning - but won the year before when he only won one major. Perhaps we should also be grateful that we don't end up giving it to Greg Rusedski for being slightly less rubbish than Tim Henman, It's perhaps predictable that Hamilton won though - F1 drivers are heavily decorated, with a world championship being a good indicator you'll do well in the SPOTY (Unlike other sports like boxing and athletics). Strangely the drivers with most personality seem to have done worst - Graham Hill, James Hunt and Hamilton when younger all lost out.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,181
    Patrick said:

Bobajob_ said:

Sean - according to the Indy, Jews and Quakers can be legally married anywhere, the proposal Crosby is trying to block is to extend such rights to humanists. The best wedding I ever attended was a (technically fake) humanist ceremony. Wild party afterwards

In which case Crosby is a major twunt. How can one religion be afforded primacy over another w.r.t. marriage law? It's virtually saying God/Allah exist for sure but the Flying Spaghetti Monster (all hail his noodly appendage) certainly doesn't. Being a fairly unmovable libertarian I find this quite awful.

Let marriage be a legal thing available to whoever. And let religious union be a different thing with no status in law and available as each religion sees fit to its adherents.
    Went to a humanist wedding earlier this year. In premises registered for the "solemnisation of matrimony!: Conducted by a “certified humanist conductor of weddings” and very appropriate it was too. Serious at the right place, happy at the right place.

It was in Scotland, so diffrent rules might apply.

Suspect I might be going to another one late next year as the bride’s sister is getting married. Think her fiancé might be RC though, so there might have to be a sort out. Fortunately it’s not my problem; I’m just the Oldest Living Relative on the brides side!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Hmm...Christmas shopping with my wife involves going around every shop looking at pretty much the same article before going back to the one she saw first off. Does the same apply to polling?

Isn't trying to identify the best product at the best price a worthwhile activity?

I have a bridge to sell...you interested?
    Not always, Charles you should also take in to account the opportunity cost of your time. You being a banker that's probably not worth a lot ;-)
    You couldn't afford me, Mr Brooke ;-)

But I was, naturally, incorporating fully loaded costs into my calculation of "best value"
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Bobajob said:
    ''Bonkers proposal by the odious Lynton Crosby to block humanist weddings in non-licenced venues. Jewish, Quaker and Scientolist weddings are allowed anywhere so why not humanist ones? Crosby is unbearable ''

Can anyone get married in an unlicenced venue? Isn't that the point of the licence? People who do not believe in God could get married before they can get married now and will continue to get married in future. The whole point of the Civil Ceremony is that it is not religious, no prayers no hymns.
    No one is being prevented from being married at all.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,181
    Omnium said:

Faisal Islam on Twitter just posted this:
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/544464914522578946

Seems the 'undecided audience' may be about as neutral as a Question Time audience.

Miliband and his advisors really do fail to live up to the low standards they set themselves.

This is only a small lie clearly, but it is a lie. Undoubtedly the other parties might do such a thing too, but that doesn't excuse it.

Well, no way isn’t Joe Cooke Labour, but I knew him fairly well at one time and would decribe him as one of the good guys. He’s got a mountain to climb, though, to get Castle Point back. It & it’s predecessor constiteuncies have been Labour twice in my lifetime 1945-50 and 1997-2001
    Might just go down and do some leafletting for him or something!
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited December 2014
This discussion has been closed.